Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,154 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University (57464 Views)

5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by pgidex(f): 2:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
MabraO:

All book and no play makes pgidex a lonely girltongue

For ya mind ba grin grin
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Champella(m): 2:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
This is one of the problems we are facing in Nigeria. We dwell more on issues that are so "irrelevant" than relevant issues.

On a certain thread sometime ago, people were busy arguing on the superiority of a B.Sc to an HND degree. Today, another person has come up with this. May be another person would come up with something like "WHY YOU SHOULD STUDY ABROAD INSTEAD OF NIGERIA".

Have you thought of the rationale behind Parents sending their wards to Private Universities? Have you taken security into consideration?

Also, one who attended or attends a Federal University doesn't mean he/she is poor. Attending a Federal University doesn't mean such a person is more intelligent than a Private University student.

Let's think of the effects this argument would have on our younger ones.

Not everybody can attend a Federal University just like not everyone can school in a Private University. We should think of ways of making Nigeria a better place to stay as we all have our various roles to play.

Thank you

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Durchess(f): 2:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
benjichuks: Immediately I saw this, I knew it was front page material, so I did the needful and to God be the glory, here I am as the FTC!
For those aspiring to be in my position, well keep on trying, Praying, subscribing for data and commenting, one day you'll reach where I am now. grin

As for the topic, I agree with the OP though not in all of them
Wts so special in bn d FTC..
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by butanep(m): 2:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
dam007: lecturer, mind the English!
whats the lecturer about and what did i say wrong to mind my english...
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by bdchange(m): 2:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
[quote author=teenidol]

Yes Oh!! Hopefully my children will school abroad too.
Access to Lecturers, Help centers, Teaching Assistants.
You are graded fairly(If you get 100/100 , its written there)
Standard Laboratories.
Clean Bathrooms and Toilets(Because trust me, Public universities in Nigeria are Dirty!!!!!!)

u can imagine bein financially okay den decide to go to a public uni in Naija . wen i knw of all d shitsss i got wen in d pub uni. Except u will tell me private sch cant give quality education wit beta facilities den every oda excuses re not genuine.my children no go sofa wetin i sofa oooo Godforbid...taaa

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
Pasca07: bleeped up?pls elucidate more?
Aside that the social life among students of Nigerian private univerties is poor, most of them rely on part time lecturers from public universities who render only part time services to them. They don't spend money on hiring full time lecturers. Not only lecturers but even other staff. Go to Madonna university you will be shocked to find out that an ssce holder is the secretary of a department, while MOST departments don't have a single PhD holder.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by tnktosin(m): 2:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
Acidosis: There are some parents who wouldn't send their wards to OAU or UI even if their wards score 399 in JAMB. Not everyone love a rough life amidst cultists, uncultured elements, congestion, stress, struggles, reading with candle sticks, queueing for water, harrasment, intimidation, etc.

In summary, your points are invalid, void and unintelligent.

You got that right man. I wonder why they don't compare their public institutions to others outside this Country. Suffering and smiling Nigerian mentality. They take lectures with over a thousand students in a hall meant for 200 and call it hard work. I attended a Public institution but thanks to my private foundation i was able to make good grades. Nigerians seem to love a situation where you go hunting for past questions, studying all night till they run mad all because they still don't know their lecturers two months into the semester. Now they hate on their private university counterparts who are 'spoon fed' and will ultimately graduate ages before them.
I can only feel sorry for those who still believe Nigerian public schools are better than the private ones just for lack of freedom in a selected few. To think that suffering makes you stronger and better, is real concentrated poverty mentality in display.
I currently pay the fees for my younger sibling in a Nigerian private University and will ensure my kids get the best of education within and outside this country. They would not suffer the same fate as I did in Nigerian public institutions.

deols: How can anyone see the last two points as good. Poverty, struggling and Not getting what you want are now seen as normal.
Smh for peopleblike the op. Poverty and all that goes with it should never be seen as normal
I tire for our countrymen.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by nijanigga: 2:50pm On Sep 09, 2014
benjichuks: Immediately I saw this, I knew it was front page material, so I did the needful and to God be the glory, here I am as the FTC!
For those aspiring to be in my position, well keep on trying, Praying, subscribing for data and commenting, one day you'll reach where I am now. grin

As for the topic, I agree with the OP though not in all of them
You guys are sick beyond human understanding, so what's the big deal about first to comment? It's all superstitious believes.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by tnktosin(m): 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2014
donpeey22: Aside that the social life among students of Nigerian private univerties is poor, most of them rely on part time lecturers from public universities who render only part time services to them. They don't spend money on hiring full time lecturers. Not only lecturers but even other staff. Go to Madonna university you will be shocked to find out that an ssce holder is the secretary of a department, while MOST departments don't have a single PhD holder.
Fortunately these part time lecturers deliver more in these private universities. What use is a PhD holder or a Prof who appears twice in a semester just to sell handouts? Stop lying to yourself. I attended a public institution like you did (i guess), this is not about repping its about facing facts. My kid sister in a private university has all the freedom in the world and still when it comes to lectures, its real intensive and is worth every penny.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by OduntanGabriel(m): 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
COUNTER THREAD IS HERE................................

www.nairaland.com/1894990/6-reasons-attend-private-university

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by sorom4: 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
ANOTHER disadvantage is that most of them turn into CORE HOMOSEXUALS

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Navvy(m): 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
dam007: EYAH!! may you make it in life and end the streak of parental brainwash currently affecting you perception of life.. wonna see my profile? ain"t bragging.. just making a point.. BOLLOR!!
have u made it in life? ur mates are in house of assembly dey pass strict order u dey nairaland dey bleep is dat life??
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Marcelinho(m): 3:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
in as much as I agree with some point of urs, I totally disagree with No 3, n as for 4 even as I do not subscribe to compulsory chapel as some school do, is clubbing more important? saying dat because a certain lecturer didn't complete his course outline n put the student under threat of working extra to cover up alone makes him stronger is a lie, there r students in private school dat gives good amount of time to study, beware how u generalize issues like this!
I rest ma case!
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Spotless180(m): 3:24pm On Sep 09, 2014
Maureenurch: @ Op, am sorry to inform u buh u have no point ,who says those in private uni doesnt live an independent,abeg there is nothn lyk freedom,remember freedom comes wit a responsibility,hw many of u in public uni have livd up to the responsibility of freedom. Abeg enuf of al these private uni this and that. Why nt meet Jamb chairman to gve al student admissn to public uni and let the private unis close down.
ladies like abbreviation die sha.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by kyzaru(m): 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
DRYAKSON!!! I read your reasons , i have a few questions for you... Q1: Did you attend a private/public university? Q2: Do you know how many times public university workers(academic/non academic staff ,etc) have gone on strike in the last two decades in NIgeria? Word of Advice: People that attended a private university in Ngeria are , as good as persons that attended a public university in Nigeria.
dryakson: Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when
making a choice of institution.

I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to
lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the
freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the
hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed.

They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to
be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses
and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public
universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student
is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or
hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes,
e.t.c​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school
fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​
e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive.
On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is
enough to build a house.

3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”​sharper​”​ than private university
students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public
university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life.
In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with
different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle
and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of
them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.

4. Life on and off campus is FUN:

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also
learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel,
it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults.
One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express
themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.

5. Hard work is compulsory

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that
help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very
small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to
spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work
extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.

6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc,
public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not
just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves.

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/167863-6-reasons-%e2%80%8byou-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university.html
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
tnktosin:
Fortunately these part time lecturers deliver more in these private universities. What use is a PhD holder or a Prof who appears twice in a semester just to sell handouts? Stop lying to yourself. I attended a public institution like you did (i guess), this is not about repping its about facing facts. My kid sister in a private university has all the freedom in the world and still when it comes to lectures, its real intensive and is worth every penny.
Deliver more under part time appointment? Lol. I don't know the sort of public university you attended. Perhaps it's one of those where lecturers come to class thrice a semester and sales of hand outs and textbooks is the norm. Mine is a great citadel of learning that boasts of having some of the best brains in the country and even from abroad in her employ, and where academic excellence is the culture. Throughout my four years sojourn in the university, I never spent a dime on hand outs from lecturers neither did I have to 'sort' a lecturer to pass any of my exams, yet I graduated as one of the best in my set. My opinion about private universities is based on personal observation and devoid of any iota of bias.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by LaryBoy(m): 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
Big lie.... I attend a private school and if u think u are wiser than ♍ƺ, hook me up @ ground Hotel Asaba.... Then we shall no
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by pedro08: 3:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
I hav friends that were killed becos of ur so called fun.they went out 4 a drink afta partying.they neva came bak till date.o p they were SHOT.u shud hav said personal reasons not to attend private university.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by tnktosin(m): 3:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
donpeey22: Deliver more under part time appointment? Lol. I don't know the sort of public university you attended. Perhaps it's one of those where lecturers come to class thrice a semester and sales of hand outs and textbooks is the norm. Mine is a great citadel of learning that boasts of having some of the best brains in the country and even from abroad in her employ, and where academic excellence is the culture. Throughout my four years sojourn in the university, I never spent a dime on hand outs from lecturers neither did I have to 'sort' a lecturer to pass any of my exams, yet I graduated as one of the best in my set. My opinion about private universities is based on personal observation and devoid of any iota of bias.
Sounds like a great school. One question, what year did you graduate? If that standard is still maintained then i'd agree with you that yours is indeed an exceptional case.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 09, 2014
95% of those in our private universities are those who could not get admitted into the public universities,some persons will want to deceive themselves with monetary reasons for their decision to attend private universities,
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Olyboy16(m): 3:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
Codedrock: well, i am enjoying ma time here at BOWEN university......
No be there them talk say make you people dey kneel down-and-raise-up-your-hand when you come late to class? Lmao..tell me, shey no be 10pm be your night-out? Ta!! JJC indeed
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Kesmakveli(m): 3:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
RFella: OP, I agree with all d points u stated above...5years ago, my bosom friend and I were seeking admission into the univ. I finally got admitted into Unizik, and he proceeded to Afe Babalola Uni...now 5yrs after, his mentality and attitude hasn't grown one bit..he's still dat mummy's boy and pet...I even had to save him from being duped by one sharp aristo recently...so u see
Rockafella my Brother now I gotchu_ Great Zikite!!! Great!

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Maureenurch(f): 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: you would have tried harder to pass utme and live the good student life in a public uni......
so sorry to disappoint buh throughout the time i wrote dat their Utme my score were really gud, the last i used to enter into the private was 243. U and i knw deep down dat admissn into public uni then wasnt dependent on ur score,but on hw connected u are,i might not hav had the right connectn. Btw who said i didnt live d good student lyf in my schl
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Spotless180(m): 3:52pm On Sep 09, 2014
SamConquer: Like seriously this Shiit ain't funny anymore.Should I call it inferiority complex or what on the part of this public student.why do some Moderator bring topics that are stupid in its entirety to the frontpage.Look at how the topic generalize all private universities.you are here ranting about exposure and all shitt.what is your business if church owned school decides to put some level of restraint to freedom due to how the society is.now let's talk about My school which is not a church-owned-school,guy if you are looking for that your so called "exposure" come to Igbenidion university and you would be tired of "exposure".I am a proud student of Igbenidion university come rain come shine.You think is to be in overcrowded class,few chairs,no Fans,Lecturers come once in a week thereby becoming half baked is your own definiton of "Exposure"the plain truth about most FEDERAL UNI STUDENT is that they are halfbaked but they hide under the umbrella of this already created Impression of been brilliant I come across some federal uni student,there spoken and even written english makes me vomit.KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES.don't try to mould yourself and think cause you are in a federal uni which is not among 2000 in the world after decade of exsistence will do the magic. NB:Money that private uni student pay is not your Fathers Money.
u hv spoken well.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Maureenurch(f): 3:54pm On Sep 09, 2014
Spotless180: ladies like abbreviation die sha.
na fastest way nah hw i for do,bt nt jst ladies oo
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by MabraO: 3:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
pgidex:

For ya mind ba grin grin

Hehehe
Abi na.
U guess u a student of one of these private uni?
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by drizzy009: 3:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
Olyboy16:
No be there them talk say make you people dey kneel down-and-raise-up-your-hand when you come late to class? Lmao..tell me, shey no be 10pm be your night-out? Ta!! JJC indeed
e too much now grin

go to the university, further your education, get a good job, marry a good wife, have good kids. After 25years or more, guess what.
You die, soon you forget this sh*t ever happened.
If you have money for a private uni go for it, if you have money for a public uni go for it.
You'll succeed if you plan your life well
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Olyboy16(m): 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
tnktosin:

You got that right man. I wonder why they don't compare their public institutions to others outside this Country. Suffering and smiling Nigerian mentality. They take lectures with over a thousand students in a hall meant for 200 and call it hard work. I attended a Public institution but thanks to my private foundation i was able to make good grades. Nigerians seem to love a situation where you go hunting for past questions, studying all night till they run mad all because they still don't know their lecturers two months into the semester. Now they hate on their private university counterparts who are 'spoon fed' and will ultimately graduate ages before them.
I can only feel sorry for those who still believe Nigerian public schools are better than the private ones just for lack of freedom in a selected few. To think that suffering makes you stronger and better, is real concentrated poverty mentality in display.
I currently pay the fees for my younger sibling in a Nigerian private University and will ensure my kids get the best of education within and outside this country. They would not suffer the same fate as I did in Nigerian public institutions.

I tire for our countrymen.
Success is rated by acheivements.even the bible said "by thier action, we shall who they are"....check the list of top best universities in Nigeria, count the number of private schools in the first 9!!!
Nt up to 3
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Olyboy16(m): 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2014
drizzy009:
e too much now grin

go to the university, further your education, get a good job, marry a good wife, have good kids. After 25years or more, guess what.
You die..... If you na argue on top this matter again ehn.
è ma sòri buruku ni. E yin o mò ale jati jati yi
Its not a must you follow this thread, neither is freedom of speech a crime here...if you refer/quote to me or my posts on this very thread again
Wa se oriburku till death ni..
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by desy24444(m): 4:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
Nt a good reason
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by drizzy009: 4:04pm On Sep 09, 2014
Olyboy16:
Its not a must you follow this thread, neither is freedom of speech a crime here...if you refer/quote to me or my posts on this very thread again
Wa se oriburku till death ni..
guy easy now. Shey i refer to you ni

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Lady Mocked By Her Friends Who Graduated Before Her, 2 Years Later This Happened / How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) / NUC Lists Universities Approved For Postgraduate Programmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.