Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,587 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University (57467 Views)

5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
[quote author=dryakson]Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when
making a choice of institution.

I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to
lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the
freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the
hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed.

They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to
be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses
and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public
universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student
is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or
hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes,
e.t.c​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school
fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​
e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive.
On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is
enough to build a house.

3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”​sharper​”​ than private university
students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public
university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life.
In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with
different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle
and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of
them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.

4. Life on and off campus is FUN:

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also
learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel,
it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults.
One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express
themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.

5. Hard work is compulsory

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that
help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very
small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to
spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work
extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.

6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc,
public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not
just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves.

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/167863-6-reasons-%e2%80%8byou-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university.html
[/quote

Well nice but I think private university is better is so many wise because I am product of private university and public university.These are the advantages of private universities:

1 easy access to lecturers and learning materials
2 easy way of collecting certificate and transcript
3 spacious lecture rooms
4 better interaction of children of those that matter in the society.I.e better connection
5 better hostel facilities
6. no strike ,no cultism and no intimidation

The list go on and on

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Acidosis(m): 12:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
butanep: those struggles are the fun in the university... if you miss such, you didn't go to university but a glorified secondary school.

There is no fun in reading with candle sticks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by thelastgenius: 12:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: i'm better than you.......you didn't write jamb to enter into the 'home of dumbness' and secondly your wassce/0'level i'm sure is nothing to write home about...

Hey Mr,......

Point of correction!!!

I Wrote jamb, Scored 263..

I wouldn't mind if we both post pictures of our Waec results here.

I dn't mean to scold you with this, but I should .........

If and If You Ever Score up to a 4.00 (Mind you my Cgpa's higher than that, just making things easy for you cus I know you aren't good enough to catch me) Quote this post...With Proof and I'm gonna Write a thread To Acclaim you as being better than me.

Agbaya oshi.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 09, 2014
butanep: guy keep quiet... no school will give you law with 201... except its a private school. when your mates that scored 250 were reading, you were busy in social networks wasting precious time you would ve used to read... pray they give you admission
another product of the 'home of dumbness'! Admission into the home of dumbness is just embarassing-no jamb,no wassce,no nothing!
I'm better than you, got 201 got admitted to study law!you= No jamb,no o'level and you landed in the 'home of dumbness'
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 12:46pm On Sep 09, 2014
Dopefiend:

First off, you have to differentiate a private school and a Christian private school.

The students signed the undertaken themselves, the school didn't coerce them. Tho you can't hear of such things in lead city or igbenedion

Lol. Why you hating on success? Poor man. Just say you don't have money.

On the contrary, private sch give more exposure than the public schools. What exposures are there in the public sch? Cultist exposure? Aristo exposure? You are sick. You get to meet better people in private schs than public schs

So to you, having fun is now only through dating, clubbing and partying? Which private sch uses uniform? undecided Calculate the % of meeting rich folks in the public sch to the private sch, and slap urself

Hard work? Lol, with all the partying and clubbing? Blocking comes to the rescue for most of these folks. Go to bishop's sch and say you want to 'think' of bribing a lecturer lol. Na that day them go judge ur matter

Lol so because you graduated at 30, u feel Ure mature? Lol grow up. Maturity is of the mind. A 22 year old that just graduated from a private uni can be more mature than a 28 or 29 year old public graduate. Don't generalise because they turn you guys to grand daddies before they let you go.

Stop hating bruv. It ain't good for the mind, body and soul.
blow mi mind!! ex igbinedion student?? #imReppn#IUO

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by chamboy(m): 12:51pm On Sep 09, 2014
[quote author=preciousMI1][/quote] liar when dem start Afe babalola
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 09, 2014
thelastgenius:

Hey Mr,......

Point of correction!!!

If and If You Ever Score up to a 4.00 (Mind you my Cgpa's higher than that, just making things easy for you cus I know you aren't good enough to catch me) Quote this post...With Proof and I'm gonna Write a thread To Acclaim you as being better than me.

Agbaya oshi.
nice......please i don't have such time. Ok
thanks
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 12:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: nice......please i don't have such time. Ok
thanks
oooodddeeeeee mmmmuuuummuuuu!!!!now run off with your tail between your legs #c0w@rD

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
dam007: Nigerien Law School, Victoria island Lagos! it's the lord's doing #BrokeASS AND WE CAN AFFORD IT!! cheesy cheesy grin Stop beefin private schools!!
ok.....all the best man!

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by thelastgenius: 12:55pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: nice......please i don't have such time. Ok
thanks

#EOD
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997:
ok.....all the best man!
same to you bro!! cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by SamConquer(m): 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
Like seriously this Shiit ain't funny anymore.Should I call it inferiority complex or what on the part of this public student.why do some Moderator bring topics that are stupid in its entirety to the frontpage.Look at how the topic generalize all private universities.you are here ranting about exposure and all shitt.what is your business if church owned school decides to put some level of restraint to freedom due to how the society is.now let's talk about My school which is not a church-owned-school,guy if you are looking for that your so called "exposure" come to Igbenidion university and you would be tired of "exposure".I am a proud student of Igbenidion university come rain come shine.You think is to be in overcrowded class,few chairs,no Fans,Lecturers come once in a week thereby becoming half baked is your own definiton of "Exposure"the plain truth about most FEDERAL UNI STUDENT is that they are halfbaked but they hide under the umbrella of this already created Impression of been brilliant I come across some federal uni student,there spoken and even written english makes me vomit.KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES.don't try to mould yourself and think cause you are in a federal uni which is not among 2000 in the world after decade of exsistence will do the magic. NB:Money that private uni student pay is not your Fathers Money.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
dam007: oooodddeeeeee mmmmuuuummuuuu!!!!now run off with your tail between your legs #c0w@rD
ok sire.
I'm done with this.....fun is over,time to go back to business.
All the best man!
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Acidosis(m): 12:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
Bode2: fallacy at the highest level! I am a student of OAU and I don't live a rough life. I am currently in 300 level and have never come across a cultist. In fact, I don't even know one. Life in itself is about struggle according to Hegel's dialectics. I have never witness any form of harassment or intimidation but on campus and off campus. An average OAU student is good, religious and well mannered and I think the same applies to UI.
Lastly, the electricity here is constant k.
This isn't applicable to most public universities.

Where I lived off-campus around a public uni; I've witnessed all forms of evil and harrasments; including robbery at gun point. A very close neighbour was killed on the same day he wrote his final paper... lol I can't post all, bro

Let me take you to campus activities; I have a friend in a private uni who got his transcript the same day he applied. Can that ever happen in a public uni?

Ordinary statement of result; I spent a whole week parading different offices, begging and all...
I saw hell in a public uni.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Dopefiend(m): 12:58pm On Sep 09, 2014
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by p2t2r(m): 1:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: oh....private university student! The truth must have seriously pained you....but just look at your life,i'm sure that if you were given a second chance you would choose public uni over the embrassment you just find yourself in today.....sorry bro!.
lol.....if I'm given a chance I'll go 2a private school over and over again. And I'm sure if you get a chance you'll want a private school too. Don't answer me, answer yourself.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
SamConquer: Like seriously this Shiit ain't funny anymore.Should I call it inferiority complex or what on the part of this public student.why do some Moderator bring topics that are stupid in its entirety to the frontpage.Look at how the topic generalize all private universities.you are hear ranting about exposure and all shitt.what is your business if church owned school decides to put some level of restraint to freedom due to how the society is.now let's talk about My school which is not a church-owned-school,guy if you if you are looking come to Igbenidion university and you would be tired of "exposure".I am a proud student of Igbenidion university come rain come shine.You think is to be in overcrowded class,few chairs,no Fans,Lectures come once in a week thereby becoming half baked it you own definiton of "Exposure"the plain truth most FEDERAL UNI STUDENT are halfbaked but they hide under the umbrella of this all created of Impression of been brilliant.came across some federal uni student there spoken and even written english makes me vomit.KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES.don't try to mould yourself and think cause you are in a federal uni which is not among 2000 in the worl after decade of exsistence will do the magic. NB:Money that private uni student pay is not your Fathers Money.
bro #i see ya.. kip reppn bro cool cool.. dang!! i miss okada like hell!! #IUO Rocks

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by careema(f): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
dryakson: Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when

I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the
freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the
hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed.

They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to
be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses
and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public
universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student
is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or
hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes,

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school
fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​
e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive.
On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is
enough to build a house.

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”​sharper​”​ than private university
students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public
university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life.
In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with
different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle
and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also
learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel,
it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults.
One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that
help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very
small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to
spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc,
public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/167863-6-reasons-%e2%80%8byou-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university.html

You forgot to mention the advantages.

Private University

The truth is that the quality of education in some private schools are far better than those of most state and federal universities pointers, the 75% attendance requirement is observed to the letter... means a student has to receive lectures on a particular course to the tune of at least 75% of the total lecture period to be qualified to take an exam. Good-news is that lecturer keeps an up-to-date attendance sheet.
In private universities, it is mandatory for lecturers to come to class and lecture because they answer directly to school authority. Nigeria is gradually moving in the direction of India, where graduates with identical degrees are offered jobs either in managerial or middle cadre positions on the strength of their performance at the interview.
In federal universities most of the lecturers do not take their jobs seriously, some don't go to class for a better part of the semester only to surface towards the end of the semester and rush the students by just "running through the course", just as some of them go to classes to tell tales and give notes without a thorough breakdown or explanation on the course.
The administration of private universities is concise. For example, students who enrol for a four-year programme are sure of completing the programme within the specified period.
Most public schools graduate may be intelligent and smart but are mostly reliant on others, majority aspire to work for others which aren’t so to private university graduate. They tend to be versatile.
Public universities are not as prestigious as private universities, and some careers might be more difficult to enter after graduation. They tend to have what we call connection grin grin
I will not subscribe completely to the notion that private universities are better than federal, but I will say they are better managed.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Dopefiend(m): 1:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
Acidosis:
This isn't applicable to most public universities.

Where I lived off-campus around a public uni; including robbery at gun point. A very close neighbour was killed on the same day he wrote his final paper... lol I can't post all, bro

Let me take you to campus activities; I have a friend in a private uni who got his transcript the same day he applied. Can that ever happen in a public uni?

Ordinary statement of result; I spent a whole week parading different offices, begging and all...
I saw hell in a public uni.

Tell em. Public uni is just unnecessary stress.
Private schs makes life easier. Some public schs students will graduate today and do convocation in like 10 yrs with their children.....and even grand children lol

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by butanep(m): 1:09pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: another product of the 'home of dumbness'! Admission into the home of dumbness is just embarassing-no jamb,no wassce,no nothing!
I'm better than you, got 201 go to admitted to study law!you= No jamb,no o'level and you landed in the 'home of dumbness'
if it may interest you, i scored 245 in my Jamb, in year 2008 and scored 65 in my post UME and got admitted same year into university of benin which you can't even think of going with such poor score. i graduated from same school with good grades. i just pity you who have not started university life, and you spend most of your time on social networks... no wonder your result was poor... if you don't change, you will graduate with ordinary pass degree, that is if you are consider by the school.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
[quote author=lilprinze]I

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by yungchop: 1:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
thelastgenius:

Hey Mr,......

Point of correction!!!

Agbaya oshi.
hmmmmmmmm.

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by yungchop: 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2014
butanep: if it may interest you, i scored 245 in my Jamb, in year 2008 and scored 65 in my post UME and got admitted same year into university of benin which you can't even think of going with such poor score. i graduated from same school with good grades. i just pity you who have not started university life, and you spend most of your time on social networks... no wonder your result was poor... if you don't change, you will graduate with ordinary pass degree, that is if you are consider by the school.
hmmm.

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by ochiosa(m): 1:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
Op tell us something about private primary and secondary schools before private universities, am a product of public university but if I get the financial muscle my children must attend private university. The so call public universities are no longer what they use to be, you can buy from question papers to marks and even results in public universities 80% of the students buys their admission. You graduate without any experience cos public universities don't have laboratories and workshops the so called professors don't come for lectures. Most of the experience lecturer in public universities lectures in private universities because they are paid promptly leaving the students of public universities to become matured men and women teaching themselves. sheep without Sheppard

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
Acidosis: There are some parents who wouldn't send their wards to OAU or UI even if their wards score 399 in JAMB. Not everyone love a rough life amidst cultists, uncultured elements, congestion, stress, struggles, reading with candle sticks, queueing for water, harrasment, intimidation, etc.

In summary, your points are invalid, void and unintelligent.
This Comment is unintelligent Sir. Some Parents would also never Send their Children to private Universities, no matter how rich they are; but that doesn't mean that Public Universities are better, or that Criticisms of Public Universities are void.

I'm not saying you don't have a Point, but what you did in this Comment is a Fallacy of Logic(Non sequitur) , and I would have ignored it, but for you insulting the Op.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by ericiland: 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
dryakson: Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when

2. Cost of education:

enough to build a house.

The best universities in d world r private universities
Focus on quality education n nt quantities

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
butanep: if it may interest you, i scored 245 in my Jamb, in year 2008 and scored 65 in my post UME and got admitted same year into university of benin which you can't even think of going with such poor score. i graduated from same school with good grades. i just pity you who have not started university life, and you spend most of your time on social networks... no wonder your result was poor... if you don't change, you will graduate with ordinary pass degree, that is if you are consider by the school.
actually, you don't know how things work at the moment.....jamb candidates 2013 and 2014 especially PPT candidates were brutally duped by jamb! To see a candidate that scored 200 and above is just scarce
sire,i have seen jamb candidates with 180 that applied for uniben and got admitted..........i know myself,i got more than 201 but....jamb's incompetence(thats a story for another day)
Anyway,i have no time for this....
Have a nice day sire! GREAT UNIBEN!!!!
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by omolizzy(f): 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
I swear wen it comes to WAR nairaland worse pass Iran,Iraq. Haba wen will peace reign sef
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dawtune(m): 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
Well, i'll say i totally disagree with the writer. In my school, which is a private university, there is room for students to have a say, it's more or less like a public institution where you have unrestricted access to whatever you want. This is an institution which is based on the principles of integrity. well, i don't really know much about other private institutions, but in my own school(Achievers Uni), i can tell you that the afore-mentioned reasons are baseless. The best schools (Ivy Leagues) in the world today are mostly Private Institutions, so what's the buzz about? smiley

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by fidzy(m): 1:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
@OP; So because public uni expose person more than private uni, make I die early abi @cultist? Have you noticed there are more incident of killing of innocents in the name of those exposure u talking of in public uni than private?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by SamConquer(m): 1:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
dam007: bro #i see ya.. kip reppn bro cool cool.. dang!! i miss okada like hell!! #IUO Rocks
Yap Bro!!!I salute meen,IYASHOLA things.smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Lady Mocked By Her Friends Who Graduated Before Her, 2 Years Later This Happened / How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) / NUC Lists Universities Approved For Postgraduate Programmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.