Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,683 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University (57468 Views)

5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by temisukanmi(f): 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
lilprinze: I noticed that most of the students who attend private universities are people who were denied or not given admission into public university or people who did not have a very good result so they have or had no choice other than to go to private Universities half bread is better than none.
yea... what you said is true.. most of this people denied admission in public schools are actually good.. sometimes even if they had d cut off mark required.. dey ar stil denied admission due to d dact dat they ar not frm dat state or given anoda course to study.. which is nt fair. What do u den expect dem to do? Provided dey av the moni and dey can attend a private university instead of wasting time,retaking jamb n yrs at home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Onyiibazz: 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
A CGPA of 2.7 in University of Nigeria, Nsukka equals a CGPA of 4.9 in Covenant University!!!
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
Truth be told, some private tertiary institutions in Nigeria are just advanced secondary school, but I think they are improving gradually though. But then, Nigerians who attended public tertiary institutions always do better in- law, medicine, politics, management, engineering/technology, but in mass communication, english and arts, private university graduates seem to perform best, my opinion anyway.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by kennynelcon(m): 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
dryakson: Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when
making a choice of institution.

I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to
lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the
freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the
hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed.

They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to
be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses
and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public
universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student
is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or
hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes,
e.t.c​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school
fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​
e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive.
On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is
enough to build a house.

3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”​sharper​”​ than private university
students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public
university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life.
In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with
different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle
and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of
them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.

4. Life on and off campus is FUN:

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also
learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel,
it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults.
One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express
themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.

5. Hard work is compulsory

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that
help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very
small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to
spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work
extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.

6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc,
public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not
just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves.

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/167863-6-reasons-%e2%80%8byou-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university.html
.apart from school fees others are wrong

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2014
SamConquer: Yap Bro!!!I salute meen,IYASHOLA things.smiley
i don too miss the chaww!! dem shakerzz and chills tripss T 'n B dead yet?? cheesy
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
benjichuks: Immediately I saw this, I knew it was front page material, so I did the needful and to God be the glory, here I am as the FTC!
For those aspiring to be in my position, well keep on trying, Praying, subscribing for data and commenting, one day you'll reach where I am now. grin

As for the topic, I agree with the OP though not in all of them
amature.NL topics dat last for only 2days.only e-novice struggle to comment if fp
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Win95: 1:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
Here for the comments
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Pasca07: 1:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
SamConquer: Like seriously this Shiit ain't funny anymore.Should I call it inferiority complex or what on the part of this public student.why do some Moderator bring topics that are stupid in its entirety to the frontpage.Look at how the topic generalize all private universities.you are here ranting about exposure and all shitt.what is your business if church owned school decides to put some level of restraint to freedom due to how the society is.now let's talk about My school which is not a church-owned-school,guy if you are looking for that your so called "exposure" come to Igbenidion university and you would be tired of "exposure".I am a proud student of Igbenidion university come rain come shine.You think is to be in overcrowded class,few chairs,no Fans,Lecturers come once in a week thereby becoming half baked is your own definiton of "Exposure"the plain truth about most FEDERAL UNI STUDENT is that they are halfbaked but they hide under the umbrella of this already created Impression of been brilliant I come across some federal uni student,there spoken and even written english makes me vomit.KEEP DECEIVING YOURSELVES.don't try to mould yourself and think cause you are in a federal uni which is not among 2000 in the world after decade of exsistence will do the magic. NB:Money that private uni student pay is not your Fathers Money.
chesus this is my first time to see a comment like this,i thought 100% public universities students know how to write and speak good correct english....pls check very well maybe they are from private universities because to me nigeria public universities students are perfect and the best in africa...
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by emmasege: 1:37pm On Sep 09, 2014
This is not absolutely true! The problem with private univs is that so many of them are miniatures. I have lectured in a private University-Bowen and I make bold to say that some of those guys in private Univs are competitive enough to study in Federal Univs. They or their parents chose private Univ and their choice (for whatsoever reasons) should be respected. Our Govt would need to do much so that some of these private Univs do not overshadow the Federal Univs (with the exception of UI, OAU, LAG, ABU and UNN) in some years to come, because already the good private Univs (e.g. Covenant, Bowen, Babcock) outclass the state-owned.
lilprinze: I noticed that most of the students who attend private universities are people who were denied or not given admission into public university or people who did not have a very good result so they have or had no choice other than to go to private Universities half bread is better than none.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by thelastgenius: 1:37pm On Sep 09, 2014
Onyiibazz: A CGPA of 2.7 in University of Nigeria, Nsukka equals a CGPA of 4.9 in Covenant University!!!

Why not attend CU and grab your own copy of the 4.9's

Ooh I get...Yu dnt fancy high grades....Right??

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
thelastgenius:

Why not attend CU and grab your own copy of the 4.9's

Ooh I get...Yu dnt fancy high grades....Right??
you bet yo #Ass he'll be on your side if he can handle the fees cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by butanep(m): 1:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: actually, you don't know how things work at the moment.....jamb candidates 2013 and 2014 especially PPT candidates were brutally duped by jamb! To see a candidate that scored 200 and above is just scarce
sire,i have seen jamb candidates with 180 that applied for uniben and got admitted..........i know myself,i got more than 201 but....jamb's incompetence(thats a story for another day)
Anyway,i have no time for this....
Have a nice day sire! GREAT UNIBEN!!!!
No problem bro... uniben has never go below 200... don't let that guy deceive you, if really the story is true, that guy is not in school.. find out.. not everybody in campus are in school.
all the same you did your best... but thats not your true best... you can do better... check you excesses..
Goodluck....

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by butanep(m): 1:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
Pasca07: chesus this is my first time to see a comment like this,i thought 100% public universities students know how to write and speak good correct english....pls check very well maybe they are from private universities because to me nigeria public universities students are perfect and the best in africa...
Guy tha your so called school nor follow....
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dam007(m): 1:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
butanep: No problem bro... uniben has never go below 200... don't let that guy deceive you, if really the story is true, that guy is not in school.. find out.. not everybody in campus are in school.
all the same you did your best... but thats not your true best... you can do better... check you excesses..
Goodluck....
lecturer, mind the English!

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2014

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by rkarang: 1:54pm On Sep 09, 2014
kreezzy: Ounpe...........If I hear say I no attend if sponsor dey

I would rather you schooled abroad. Get quality education with your millions. Right now, our beloved private universities are just coming up.....

That money is enough to school abroad, you could even get great opportunities over there. Some parents allow their children to school here, private universities, because they don't have confidence in their kids' character. I.e they could have sent them abroad but for the fear of crazy character.....

They want to monitor them at home, yet some of them still develop weird character..... Like the Redeemer guy that killed his father; apparently he had been on hard drugs...

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
No problem bro... uniben has never go below 200... don't let that guy deceive you, if really the story is true, that guy is not in school.. find out.. not everybody in campus are in school.
all the same you did your best... but thats not your true best... you can do better... CHECK YOUR EXCESSES..
Goodluck....[/quote] Thank you sire.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dickoflife(m): 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
This is so funny.. public universities in terms of living standards are shitty. Every female student can Bleep a lecturer and get the best grades, osu. Comes readily to mind. Cultists are so many in number and students end up losing their lives over nothing. Private universities are for the rich so please op carry ur pecuniary problems go meet ur papa. #TeamBowen#....

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by SamConquer(m): 1:59pm On Sep 09, 2014
dam007: i don too miss the chaww!! dem shakerzz and chills tripss T 'n B dead yet?? cheesy
For where?all of them stil dey bubble with Life with them campus sheraton and all.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
Bode2: fallacy at the highest level! I am a student of OAU and I don't live a rough life. I am currently in 300 level and have never come across a cultist. In fact, I don't even know one. Life in itself is about struggle according to Hegel's dialectics. I have never witness any form of harassment or intimidation but on campus and off campus. An average OAU student is good, religious and well mannered and I think the same applies to UI.
Lastly, the electricity here is constant k.

Mention a functioning computer Lab in OAU??
Or Even a Standard Laboratory??
Churning out Engineers by the day who do not Have Access to even the most Basic of Technology.

I have been on both sides of the spectrum and I can boldly say that Public universities in Nigeria is Trash.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by hohafrank(m): 2:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
Not correct.You are always out of points.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by bdchange(m): 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
ur claims re correct to some extent. But rememba dat some of d best schs in d world re own by individuals or group of ppl, e.g harvard and co. xo ur points can only be affirmative here in Nigeria not in western world. But as for me, if i av d financial capacity my children will go to private sch in Nig not d oda way round.Except i intend taking dem abroad.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by ocelot2006(m): 2:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
Those are very flimsy excuses.
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 09, 2014
bdchange: ur claims re correct to some extent. But rememba dat some of d best schs in d world re own by individuals or group of ppl, e.g harvard and co. xo ur points can only be affirmative here in Nigeria not in western world. But as for me, if i av d financial capacity my children will go to private sch in Nig not d oda way round.Except i intend taking dem abroad.

Yes Oh!! Hopefully my children will school abroad too.
Access to Lecturers, Help centers, Teaching Assistants.
You are graded fairly(If you get 100/100 , its written there)
Standard Laboratories.
Clean Bathrooms and Toilets(Because trust me, Public universities in Nigeria are Dirty!!!!!!)

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by SamConquer(m): 2:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
Onyiibazz: A CGPA of 2.7 in University of Nigeria, Nsukka equals a CGPA of 4.9 in Covenant University!!!
Guy I feel your pain.Feferal uni lecturers sheer wickedness and unnecessary intentional failure of student has made the Fed uni student believe "First class" is a kind of Luxury to attain.If student in world best university like Havard can pass easily without stress and can gain admission without stress.then know that your dustbin of a Federal uni need a check-up.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Ignyte(m): 2:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
dryakson: Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when
making a choice of institution.

I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to
lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the
freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the
hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed.

They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to
be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses
and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public
universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student
is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or
hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes,
e.t.c​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school
fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​
e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive.
On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is
enough to build a house.

3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”​sharper​”​ than private university
students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public
university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life.
In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with
different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle
and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of
them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.

4. Life on and off campus is FUN:

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also
learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel,
it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults.
One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express
themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.

5. Hard work is compulsory

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that
help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very
small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to
spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work
extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.

6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc,
public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not
just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves.

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/167863-6-reasons-%e2%80%8byou-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university.html

1. The writer has never been in a private university for up to a week.
This post is based on what the writer ha sheard, as a student of a private university i put it to y'all that the writer has never been in a private university because i sharp pass my counterparts for public universities

2. I refused to agree that private univewrsity students are not independent.
Bros if you wan comot you fit comot as far as you sabi your way.

3. you no fit call me learner for labour market.
Try that and see, ma eye wey don tear finish before i enter uni

RUBBISH, if you want be there let rumours be killing you, some people no go go skul this year now because of all the lies somebody wrote. Go research on private universities like i did and enter one, dont allow anybody lie to you
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
None of the listed items addresses the reason the students are in school for......TO LEARN

School is not boot camp...

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Education71(m): 2:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
True talk sha
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by deols(f): 2:22pm On Sep 09, 2014
How can anyone see the last two points as good. Poverty, struggling and Not getting what you want are now seen as normal.

Smh for peopleblike the op. Poverty and all that goes with it should never be seen as normal

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 09, 2014
nwanna89: None of the listed items addresses the reason the students are in school for......TO LEARN

School is not boot camp...

grin grin grin I feel Ya
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by bamac(m): 2:25pm On Sep 09, 2014
thelastgenius:

If by chance yu finished with a pass.....Why dnt yu attempt attending a priv uni(RUN).....

Trust me u'll get withdrawn before yr2
i laugh at ur private future... I trust u cos u r talkin frm xperience, op ouse neva tire u?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Lady Mocked By Her Friends Who Graduated Before Her, 2 Years Later This Happened / How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) / NUC Lists Universities Approved For Postgraduate Programmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.