Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,273 members, 7,836,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! (40483 Views)

A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by macof(m): 4:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
bellong:

You can ask your question with decorum. Don't turn this thread to religious war. This is how it starts.

Be civil pls.

It relates. The major reason why Africans today speak against polygamy is because of christianity, this is wat they are taught in church

But going by the examples laid by Bible characters Polygamy seems ok
So telling me Bible frowns at it is ridiculous

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2014
carefreewannabe: I have been following this thread from the beginning and it strikes me that the supporters of polygamy mention that polygamy IN THE PAST was a necessity to manage a family's farm but never mention that TODAY we have a serious problem with overpopulation that has and will continue to have serious and severe consequences.

Just wanted to add a new aspect to this discussion that I think is important.

My advice for persons interested in such marriages today is that they are welloff and comfortable.

It makes things easier.

I can not begrudge the choice of anyone who chooses such a union.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

My advice for persons interested in such marriages today is that they are welloff and comfortable.

It makes things easier.

I can not begrudge the choice of anyone who chooses such a union.

They are more comfortable and easier for who?
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bellong: 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:

In other words Abraham shouldn't be a role model in christianity

It's either that or Christianity is hypocritical

Trust me, you can't finish this project you are aiming at starting.

Your ilks will be the first to cry foul when it eventually goes south....

Always keep quiet on a subject you have no idea or grasp.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Shirley07: 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

Generalisation.

My dad is from a polygamous home and it was a good one.

Some women from polygamous homes remain best of friends even in old age.

It is not all gloom and doom.

The fact that your dad never practised is another confirmation.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bukatyne(f): 4:09pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

A few months ago, a woman in a polygamous marriage was here, talking about how happy she was in her marriage.

That narrative did not go down well with some folks.

I posted a story earlier of a woman who was the second of three wives. She actually set out to look for a married man or a divorcee.

I have seen good examples of happy polygamous homes so I know, it is attainable.

I have also seen horrific tales of monogamous homes, so I understand it is not perfect.

You do not grasp what most posters are saying.

Every 2nd, 3rd etc. wives are no reason to complain (except in cases of child brides); the only person short changed is the first wife and this thread was opened by one in pain. Read through her posts and tell me your cannot feel the pain she is going through

Interview first wives around and let us hear what they have to say

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bellong: 4:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:

It relates. The major reason why Africans today speak against polygamy is because of christianity, this is wat they are taught in church

Where in the bible did God say, people should practise polygamy?

I don't discuss religion in forums, I'd rather discuss issues as they affect daily living.

Christianity is not the major reason why polygamy is kicked against. Humans generally are territorial, and no one is happy sharing what should belong to him/her alone.

Meanwhile, Abraham's polygamy wasn't an intentional choice but more of an accident. The effect of it today is a good example that Polygamy births more if evil than good.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:

In other words Abraham shouldn't be a role model in christianity

It's either that or Christianity is hypocritical

We don't treat our prophets like Gods. We accept that they were humans and lived in a different historical context.

In other words, we use our God-given brains.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

A few months ago, a woman in a polygamous marriage was here, talking about how happy she was in her marriage.

That narrative did not go down well with some folks.

I posted a story earlier of a woman who was the second of three wives. She actually set out to look for a married man or a divorcee.

I have seen good examples of happy polygamous homes so I know, it is attainable.

I have also seen horrific tales of monogamous homes, so I understand it is not perfect.

Okay I don't know about that thread, 2nd , 3rd or 4th wives will obviously be okay with it since they knew what they were getting into however a lot o the poor first wives never wanted such. Let's focus more on why the OP started this thread, she's a woman who has just found herself in this situation that she didn't plan for or want and is seeking for how to manage the new life she has found herself in. That's why I think it's better to let people come in especially other first wives and tell her their experience and suggestions on how to manage things. There no point debating if it's good or bad, some of us will never see any good in polygamy and some of you will so it's just one of those things one should agree to disagree about. Why not focus on offering advise on how to make the best of it for those like the OP who find themselves in it by design or otherwise. That applies to everyone else here pls .

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tintingz(m): 4:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
TV01:
As obtains everywhere. Likewise for baby mamas. So what's your point? Does polygamy restrict multiple wives to the widowed or baby mamas? Do the vast majority of multiple wives have that status prior to marriage?
Some men marry multiple wives to avoid adultery, some men have abuse the main purpose of polygamy.

So a wife and children do not have immediate access to the husband. He is not constantly interacting with his spouse and children?
When jnr falls ill, the father may be busy elsewhere? Or at critical periods in a wife or childs life, he will not be able to devote his full attention to them. Another flaw of polygamy
My father didn't allow his wives to live under same roof and it worked fine, my mum was the one that took care the two sons of my step mum.

We are in jet age, a call on phone will do if any emergency is needed.

Best ask OP.

But it's certain that most multiple wives are not due to being widows, baby mamas or older singles
So why do we see women agree to be a man second, third wife?

I have asked this question earlier.

I'm not denying it as a choice, I'm not even parsing it morally, merely showing that structurally polygamy is flawed.

I can think of a number of reasons. Why not invite them to say? I'd say some are are due to the reasons you mentioned, but many out of greed or desperation. And why do you assume women in polygamy prefer polygamy? It's probably needs and situation driven. And please poll 1st wives and ask them if they prefer polygamy. I'd wager that even those 1st wives who accept it, would not prefer it.

TV
some first wife are the one to bring up the idea of having a second wife in the family, In the old days they do a lot.

Let's discuss about poll second, third wives, why do they prefer polygamy?
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 4:15pm On Sep 24, 2014
Shirley07:
The fact that your dad never practised is another confirmation.

No, it isn't.. It is choice.

His choice was not based on an unhappy polygamous experience. That is for sure.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by AmunRaOlodumare: 4:17pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:

It's true that some people nowadays speak against polygamy because of christianity. But even traditional religions are allowed to change with time, always in continuity and respect with the past, their ancestors and their spiritual belief. For example, at one time, there was no metal/iron work then there was and the Ogun deity was related to it. So traditional religions allow changed within it as long as it is done in continuity with the past. Polygamy was more adapted to people which had a much higher death rates for men than women, like in the past, or when a married woman lost her husband so she could become the wife of one of his brother (social protection) or for hereditary kings who needed to have many children to insure the succession. At least, that's my current opinion, who may always change.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Shirley07: 4:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 4:22pm On Sep 24, 2014
bukatyne:

You do not grasp what most posters are saying.

Every 2nd, 3rd etc. wives are no reason to complain (except in cases of child brides); the only person short changed is the first wife and this thread was opened by one in pain. Read through her posts and tell me your cannot feel the pain she is going through

Interview first wives around and let us hear what they have to say

I know stories of first wives who urged their husbands to take a second.

Like I said earlier, some are more accepting than others.

I know, it is very difficult for some.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2014
AmunRaOlodumare:
It's true that some people nowadays speak against polygamy because of christianity. But even traditional religions are allowed to change with time, always in continuity and respect with the past, their ancestors and their spiritual belief. For example, at one time, there was no metal/iron work then there was and the Ogun deity was related to it. So traditional religions allow changed within it as long as it is done in continuity with the past. Polygamy was more adapted to people which had a much higher death rates for men than women, like in the past, or when a married woman lost her husband so she could become the wife of one of his brother (social protection) or for hereditary kings who needed to have many children to insure the succession. At least, that's my current opinion, who may always change.

The historical context must ALWAYS be considered. There is a reason some rules were made in the past. They were made to suit a society's needs.

If ALL people followed the teachings of people who lived thousands of years ago blindly, there would be absolutely no progress.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Shirley07: 4:32pm On Sep 24, 2014
macof:

Abraham didn't practise polygamy though because he never married another wife until Sarah died. Even then, he only had conbubines and he regarded the concubines' children together with Haggai's son as badstards.
Haggai was a slave and still remained a slave woman, don't get it twisted!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by aderonila18: 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2014
That some Bible Characters did something doesn't mean the Bible condones it. The men and women in the Bible were human beings just like us and some of them didn't always make the best decisions. If we are to copy everything from Bible Characters you may as well go ahead to marry many wives and still have hundreds of concubines like Solomon grin

When God made Adam he created only one Eve for him in his infinite wisdom but man always tries to be smarter than God .By the way that is another example of someone who still had many mistresses even though he already had many wives which shows that polygamy isn't an answer to infidelity rather self control is. If you see oanother woman that completes another part of you I can assure you that there are hundreds more women who will complete you as well. The whole essence of marriage is self control. You make your choice and then you remove your eyes from the market otherwise you'll keep marrying grin

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by aderonila18: 4:37pm On Sep 24, 2014
Why is that we tell Gay people that it's wrong Biblically because God gave Adam a wife and not a husband but with polygamy some people forget that God gave Adam only one wife and not 2, 3, 4......

8 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Shirley07: 4:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
tbaba1234:

No, it isn't.. It is choice.

His choice was not based on an unhappy polygamous experience. That is for sure.

The fact that he didn't want to bore his children with such story doesn't mean
he didn't have some unresolved issues.
My dad is also from a polygamous home and eventhough he and his siblings have a good relationship, he doesn't want such home for his family. I tell you, no one comes from such home unscathed!

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 4:47pm On Sep 24, 2014
aderonila18: Why is that we tell Gay people that it's wrong Biblically because God gave Adam a wife and not a husband but with polygamy some people forget that God gave Adam only one wife and not 2, 3, 4......

And yet the same bible tells us that divorce is a sin,but people divorce up and down everyday even pastors.

Remarrying is a sin,yet divorced people remarry in church by pastors.I am a christian and i really don't like the way christians think sometimes,

we judge and criticize so much.

No one is perfect.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 24, 2014
edwife:

And yet the same bible tells us that divorce is a sin,but people divorce up and down everyday even pastors.

Remarrying is a sin,yet divorced people remarry in church by pastors.I am a christian and i really don't like the way christians think sometimes,

No one is perfect.

Because people forget this part and I am also guilty.

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 4:55pm On Sep 24, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Thank you very much for being honest,all i read here is judgement and nothing more.I am very disappointment by the way this thread turned

out.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by aderonila18: 4:55pm On Sep 24, 2014
edwife:

No one is perfect.

My dear, my post was in reply to the above post by someone who suggested that the Bible supports polygamy. I already noted people in the Bible weren't perfect and neither are we but no the Bible does not support polygamy. The same was a fornicator will know that the Bible doesn't support that. I'm not judging polygamous people, divorced , fornicator or liars etc just don't try and justify it with the Bible
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 24, 2014
edwife:

Thank you very much for being honest,all i read here is judgement and nothing more.I am very disappointment by the way this thread turned

out.

Sorry dear.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Shirley07: 5:00pm On Sep 24, 2014
tintingz:
Some men marry multiple wives to avoid adultery, some men have abuse the main purpose of polygamy.

My father didn't allow his wives to live under same roof and it worked fine, my mum was the one that took care the two sons of my step mum.

We are in jet age, a call on phone will do if any emergency is needed.

So why do we see women agree to be a man second, third wife?

I have asked this question earlier.

some first wife are the one to bring up the idea of having a second wife in the family, In the old days they do a lot.

Let's discuss about poll second, third wives, why do they prefer polygamy?
Greediness.. What else?

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bukatyne(f): 5:04pm On Sep 24, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Are we really judging?

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bukatyne(f): 5:04pm On Sep 24, 2014
aderonila18:

My dear, my post was in reply to the above post by someone who suggested that the Bible supports polygamy. I already noted people in the Bible weren't perfect and neither are we but no the Bible does not support polygamy. The same was a fornicator will know that the Bible doesn't support that. I don't Jude polygamous people, divorced , fornicator or lies etc just don't try and justify it with the Bible

100%

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 24, 2014
bukatyne:

Are we really judging?

Not everybody, some people are just sharing their views and I am perfectly ok with this thread. I understand that Edwife isn't, though.

Most people participated in a civil manner, in my opinion.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 5:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by BABE3: 5:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
bukatyne:

Are we really judging?

yes, some are just here to mock. As humans, we have this need to make ourselves feel better by judging others. It's innate and if it's not checked, it becomes a part of you to constantly judge and castigate.

There's a difference between what edwife is doing (asking genuine questions and passing comments) and what some others are doing. What's the meaning of "tufikwa: I can't imagine sharing my own husband.. "? Is that supposed to make the OP cry harder or envy you? undecided (not you in particular).

The most important thing is that she's trying to make the best out of the situation (as a christian); what most cannot even do.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 5:22pm On Sep 24, 2014
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2014

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (26) (Reply)

Would You Forgive Your Husband Who Got Your Maid Pregnant? / How She Changed A Cheating Husband / Could He Have Ulterior Motives By Disagreeing To This? Should I Opt Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.