Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! (40388 Views)

A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 5:30pm On Sep 23, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You can ignore these conversations.

Please, don't stop asking your questions. I really enjoy your conversation with the OP. kiss

I can ignore but will the op do the same?

Thanks,i will be glad if she can come back because i have many questions and also because she already accepted her faith,we can but try to be that support system she is looking for.

Please no one should take offence. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 23, 2014
edwife:

I can ignore but but will the op do the same?

Thanks,i will be glad if she can come back because i have many questions and also because she already accepted her faith,we can but try to be that support system she is looking for.

Please no one should take offence. smiley

She has been answering your questions so far. I also hope, she will continue.

I am very peaceful. I feel for her. She is a nice woman.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 5:37pm On Sep 23, 2014
carefreewannabe:

She has been answering your questions so far. I also hope, she will continue.

I am very peaceful. I feel for her. She is a nice woman.

Yes she is.

thanks.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Lumpyy(f): 5:53pm On Sep 23, 2014
Please people ds debates cant help d Ops case anymore,none of u is even in polygamy so u cnt talk frm experience,kindly create another thread for ur arguments abeg sad!
Op d lord will uphold and direct u,so sorry u are goin tru such!

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2014
Pikabeau, u r vely vely stingy!
Haba!
There is roff in sharing o cheesy kiss

I wish I can read all.
Very healthy and interesting debate.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bellong: 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
ayinba1:

You have no idea.......

Your experience being born into a polygamous home may not be another person's, not close, not similar. You are right to oppose it and so is whomever supports it.

My experience may not be close but it is similar to countless sour polygamous homes.

As per your husband married to his mum, I still maintain it is a different ball game.

You knew he was mummy's boy before marrying him unlike one springing up surprise by bringing another woman home.

You cannot compare oranges with banana

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
What's with all this debate na? You guys should leave the OP to pour her hearts out on this thread.

Dear OP, I've got a few questions for you:
- Was your husband cheating with this lady, prolly got her pregnant and decided to marry her? Or he just woke up one morning and decided you are not enough for him anymore?

- You said you noticed your hubby was sleeping alone? In a seperate room? What prompted that? Did you guys have a serious misunderstanding? What did you do to remedy that?

- Did you in anyway or at anytime come off as being ok with ploygamy? What must have given him the effontory? Did you give such vibe?

- Do you think he had all these well planned out from the beginning? Or it was just a mistake and he decided to legalise the union?

- Have you two really talked about this? What did he say are his reasons? Does he still love you?

Somany questions in my head as I really really cannot wrap my head around this situation. I can even understand when a Muslim man does it. Their women at some point also expect it. But for a Christian? Hmmnn. . .

Must this woman be brought in to live with you? Must your husband rub it all in? Must you be reminded of her every second of the day? Please and please, let hubby get another apartment for her. Get comfy with her from afar first. If you now feel she's someone you want "in house" you can now decide to take her in.

In all you do, please consider your sanity. If you are financially capable of caring for your kids single-handedly and you think you can cope alone, please consider seperation.

I can only imagine the emotional turmoil you're going through. Not what anyone will wish for.

It is well. . .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 6:20pm On Sep 23, 2014
bellong:

My experience may not be close but it is similar to countless sour polygamous homes.

As per your husband married to his mum, I still maintain it is a different ball game.

You knew he was mummy's boy before marrying him unlike one springing up surprise by bringing another woman home.

You cannot compare oranges with banana
Let it go. This is not useful to anyone
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 23, 2014
@yeyenatu, I've been reading your posts from the beginning and wondering where you were coming from, till I read the part you said your sister is a second wife. Now, it makes sense. Defending your sister's act huh? God dey the matter.

Generally speaking, I donot have any problems with polygamy, as long as the first wife consented to it before she married her husband. Any man that wants to be polygamous should make this known to his first wife from the get go. If the woman still feels she's cool with it, then no problem.

My grouse is with men that pull off unpleasant surprises on their first wives. There is no deserving punishment other than hanging. And if one decides to be kind; castration.

I donot know what I will do to such a man, but I'm very very sure his life will not remain thesame.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 6:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
Am the owner of the thread and will always come around, all the contribution are beneficial not only to me but everybody.

Let calm some nerves...

I have a Msc in botany and more educated than hubby who only have a first degree.
He his financially better than I do cos he owns a haulage company which is doing well.

We got married legally and am empowered by law which me, hubby and both families are aware of.

But my mum spoke with me, she said a lot which really is reason behind my "stupidity".

Like I said ealier, law aside and education to the marine...I know myself even without those weapon, I can be brutal.

I guess mum knows her daughter too well, that must have accounted for the role she played.

Sincerely, I might have lost everything including job,kids,hubby and my life if I reacted the way my normal me would have.

I just hope I get the grace to carry on.

NB: I got everybody pm, but not now.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 23, 2014
Phema: @yeyenatu, I've been reading your posts from the beginning and wondering where you were coming from, till I read the part you said your sister is a second wife. Now, it makes sense. Defending your sister's act huh? God dey the matter.
act? You made it sound like it's a vice. undecided when did marrying someone you love become a vice?

Polygamy is better than marrying 5 times to different persons, and siblings won't even know who is who.

Labeled according to the duration.

"Which one is your own mum? 1988 to 1990? Isn't that Bisi?" Naaaa!

And it's not that horrible thing that you now blame the new 'lady' for. That's where most first wives miss it. That kind of mindset has already sowed something in you towards the lady. Even if she is the sweetest, you would always find fault in your heart towards her. Thus frustrating her effort, unconsciously. Which is wrong.

@OP: please, just expect a new person come to spend time with you in your home. And if you are muslim, you already know that the religion allows it.

"Mati ara eniyan mi se Olorun."

it is what It is. It happens. There are testimonies of people living as peaceful as their individualities can allow, that's the kind you should look out for.

After all, she IS coming in. Create a space in your heart to allow yourself be open-minded and still be your normal self. Don't judge yourself wrongly because he decided to have a second wife.

Don't start looking for what is not lost, you may find what you don't want to find.

All the best dear.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 7:11pm On Sep 23, 2014
GodsDivinefavor: Am the owner of the thread and will always come around, all the contribution are beneficial not only to me but everybody.

Let calm some nerves...

I have a Msc in botany and more educated than hubby who only have a first degree.
He his financially better than I do cos he owns a haulage company which is doing well.

We got married legally and am empowered by law which me, hubby and both families are aware of.

But my mum spoke with me, she said a lot which really is reason behind my "stupidity".

Like I said ealier, law aside and education to the marine...I know myself even without those weapon, I can be brutal.

I guess mum knows her daughter too well, that must have accounted for the role she played.

Sincerely, I might have lost everything including job,kids,hubby and my life if I reacted the way my normal me would have.

I just hope I get the grace to carry on.

NB: I got everybody pm, but not now.

Please do not sell yourself short. I have not met you but "stupiditty" is not a word that applies to you.
You have displayed a lot of wisdom in your posts
May God strengthen you.

I want to point out some areas where you may feel some effects
When outsiders (some married women) learn of your situation, they might view you differently
They might behave to you differently
Some might want to cut off ties
Some will stay with you but their advice may be very contrary to what your mother advised.
But you will find friends that will respect you (regardless of their own marriage) and admire your strength.
They will provide you with tips on how to make things work
Don't lose sight of communication
And please stay with him if you still love each other and he treats you and your kids well.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by BlackBaron: 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hmmn... Polygamy.

Not my cup of tea.
The cracks if there was never any, suddenly sprouts up on the demise of the father.

Not a legacy I'm prepared to bequeath to my unborn children!
I'm not from one but great grandfather and grand father practised it or a loose form of it. Not conducive, the aftereffects...

It only took a couple of speech/speeches/exchanges from someone after my grandpa's passing on to send faultlines wider than the Grand Canyon in between.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia: 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2014
Was the op previously married?

Not getting the your kids part, I didn't read all the write ups.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2014
Not when one of them is sane and knows what family is about.
Not Al fights should turn into claw sharpening theatricals. It's immature and such a wife should be divorced.

But, if he has enough money. Two flats in the same compound so the kids can hand out together and relate. Then that's good enough.

Build what up? You mean the furniture? Interior decor? Or his career? How you helped him make his money? And spend it wisely?

If Al those were done for anything other than because you are being a good wife, then that is Very selfish of you as a wife.

Oh, maybe you mean the TLC from him is now half. Well, compliment it with the one from your kids. It's undiluted and pure. Try not to spoil it with rivalry and selfish reasons of 'she coming to enjoy what you built.'

What if her coming even make things better? You never can tell. Fate is a funny woman with plenty tricks. @...I don forget what your nick is.

YYN

pickabeau1:

Yes it have its drawbacks but better than having two women in the same space
Catfights!
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia: 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2014
BlackBaron: Hmmn... Polygamy.

Not my cup of tea.
The cracks if there was never any, suddenly sprouts up on the demise of the father.

Not a legacy I'm prepared to bequeath to my unborn children!

Its cultural, its very difficult to practice in some cultures but easier in others.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
God bless you!!!!

This is more like it!!!

Define yourself as the one who is in charge of the house, including her. Take that stand and be firm. Be more than a wife now, be THE wife.

ayinba1:

Please do not sell yourself short. I have not met you but "stupiditty" is not a word that applies to you.
You have displayed a lot of wisdom in your posts
May God strengthen you.

I want to point out some areas where you may feel some effects
When outsiders (some married women) learn of your situation, they might view you differently
They might behave to you differently
Some might want to cut off ties
Some will stay with you but their advice may be very contrary to what your mother advised.
But you will find friends that will respect you (regardless of their own marriage) and admire your strength.
They will provide you with tips on how to make things work
Don't lose sight of communication
And please stay with him if you still love each other and he treats you and your kids well.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by rezzy: 7:25pm On Sep 23, 2014
@Op, i just pray the new lady coming in is not diabolic. That's my worst fear.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 23, 2014
@Yeyenatu, I've stated the only way polygamy can be accepted. So if, your sister's husband had an agreement with his first wife that he will, along the line, marry more wives, then your sister is "cleared" of the "act". If not. . . Oh well, that is my personal opinion.

Did I read you say "love"? Lol. Again, God dey the matter. cheesy

Like I said, I only just wanted to understand where you were coming from. I do now.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
Phema: @Yeyenatu, I've stated the only way polygamy can be accepted. So if, your sister's husband had an agreement with his first wife that he will, along the line, marry more wives, then your sister is "cleared" of the "act". If not. . . Oh well, that is my personal opinion.

Like I said, I only just wanted to understand where you were coming from. I do now.
yes love. My father loves his wives.

My sister's Hussy loves his wives. Whether or not, there was a discussion isn't my business. I don't put my nose in affairs that's not my business. Or judge same.

Unless you know them personally, then I see no reason for the 'tinge of sarcasm' I kind of sensed in your response.

Even if they are twenty, there is still love in play.

Living with one wife all through your life doesn't mean that 'love' is the sole pedestal keeping the marriage steady. You don't know what else he is doing out there, while he is saying 'I love you' to you every day.

YYN

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by touchmeder: 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2014
Yeyenatu perhaps it is a lot easier 4u 2 stomach n digest cos of ur religious belief (I see ur signature n so I infer). However op stated quite clearly her husband is a christian (I didn't c wer she is not but I stand 2b corrected). Op can u insist dis lady stays outside ur home? Can u go ahead with dis agreement but insist on that?

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by BlackBaron: 7:41pm On Sep 23, 2014
tpia:

Its cultural, its very difficult to practice in some cultures but easier in others.
Indeed it may be cultural, but alas our people sort of damn the consequences of which they were once carrying.

My great F was a very wealthy man, had quite a bit andmmuch more. Once he died, others were shut off. My grand was from the first wife and also the first son. Connivance rubbed him of his inheritance. The eventual benefactor's generation still enjoys the proceeds till this day. They can all choose to sit at home and still be comfortable...talking about inheritance since 1930-40!
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by TV01(m): 7:44pm On Sep 23, 2014
yeyenatu: Define yourself as the one who is in charge of the house, including her.
Really? The one who had any semblance of authority in the home or equity in the relationship grasped from her - cruelly and against her will -should now form "Lady at the Top"? And the new wife - who everything suggests will at least for now be more favoured - will just accede to that?

yeyenatu: Take that stand and be firm. Be more than a wife now, be THE wife.
You can only be "the wife", if you are the only wife. Neither they or anyone following - which is still a possibility se? - have any stand. The battle is for favour, not authority.

Talking up situations and chest thumping does not change reality. Don't glorify what is wrong, aspire to what right.

TV

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by cococandy(f): 7:44pm On Sep 23, 2014
crackhaus:
No, you thank your stars.
He's the one that gets forced out of the house and only gets court appointed or supervised visits to his children...

cheesy grin
it is the lord's doing and it is marvelous in our sight.

Why exactly should he be thanking his stars as opposed to the Nigerian setting?
Oh you'll poison his meal or mess with his car brakes? grin

I didn't say that. That's the evil spirit in you speaking not my words lipsrsealed
Let me shift before you possess me grin

Yeah right, and I thought pretty chics like yourself don't fight or loose sleep over a cheating spouse tongue

it's not about beauty dear.when someone you love throws you under the bus like that,it's gotta hurt. BAD. So I will lose sleep and cry too.plenty plenty tears

You'll just jejely move on jor...are there no more men out there who are better looking and more refined to punish him with..

you're right. I'll move on.hard as it may be,it definitely beats trying to please someone who never cared about how you feel about his actions in the first place.or faking happiness with smiles at the other woman that doesn't get to your heart.
Sounds like prison sad cry cry to me.
#myopinion

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 23, 2014
yeyenatu: yes love. My father loves his wives.

My sister's Hussy loves his wives. Whether or not, there was a discussion isn't my business. I don't put my nose in affairs that's not my business. Or judge same.

Unless you know them personally, then I see no reason for the 'tinge of sarcasm' I kind of sensed in your response.

Even if they are twenty, there is still love in play.

Living with one wife all through your life doesn't mean that 'love' is the sole pedestal keeping the marriage steady. You don't know what else he is doing out there, while he is saying 'I love you' to you every day.

YYN

I think what she's trying to say is try and see things from the eyes of the first wife. When a man brings in another women when his wife always thought it would be just the 2 of them forever then it is a betrayal and yes the new wife has contributed in making another woman unhappy. That she is managing the situation doesn't mean she is happy about it. Read the OPs posts and see the kind of feelings she has, those are feelings of many first wives. They manage the situation but I'm sure they feel sadness from time to time since for most of those women that was not the life they wanted.Any man who wants to be polygamous should discuss it with the wife during courting so she can decide if that's a life she wants.

By the way people should stop talking like some polygamous men don't cheat. How do most of them find the new wives if not that they were already cheating with the woman undecided a lot of 2nd wives are even brought in because of pregnancy.

10 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 23, 2014
I so much feel for this @op.
Gosh!

Just imagine the emotional trauma.
That is all I can deduct from all her posts.
She felt betrayed and used.

@op, u r a good woman(observing from ur posts).
I really don't know what to tell u.

May u have grace to carry on.

And to my good friends defending polygamy, I hope u all can see the true feelings of the first wife as it is clearly shown in this thread.
This is d one we saw, what about millions of them?
Suffering and smiling all in d name of religion and culture.
Rnt some things supposed to be outdated for real now?

Its just so sad.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 23, 2014
Phema: @Yeyenatu, I've stated the only way polygamy can be accepted. So if, your sister's husband had an agreement with his first wife that he will, along the line, marry more wives, then your sister is "cleared" of the "act". If not. . . Oh well, that is my personal opinion.

Preach sister!
Preach!

Man's inhumanity to man.
Yet we blame govt always.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by cococandy(f): 7:57pm On Sep 23, 2014
She speaks like it would be easy to assert authority over a full grown woman coming in to live with one as the newly found favorite who's giving what the first wife lacked in the first place to warrant such occurence.

The best she can pray for is that the new woman is peaceful and willing to accommodate.
TV01:
Really? The one who had any semblance of authority in the home or equity in the relationship grasped from her - cruelly and against her will -should now form "Lady at the Top"? And the new wife - who everything suggests will at least for now be more favoured - will just accede to that?

You can only be "the wife", if you are the only wife. Neither they or anyone following - which is still a possibility se? - have any stand. The battle is for favour, not authority.

Talking up situations and chest thumping does not change reality. Don't glorify what is wrong, aspire to what right.

TV

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2014
TV01:

TV

I'm happy some men here outrightly condem this injustice to fellow human.
Kudos.
Where r those men that carry polygamy for head?
Come and argue ur case with fellow men.

Again, man's inhumanity to fellow human all because of culture and religion.

And by d way, I was told we used to go naked in d olden days, so how come we r covering up now?

Yeyebrity at its peak.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by edwife(f): 8:04pm On Sep 23, 2014
Yawn.... undecided undecided

Godsdivinefavor please if it is possible for you to open a diary as suggested by pickabeau earlier,where you can talk about what you are going through,pour your heart.

Where there is need of advices or questions we will figure out how to reach you.

Be strong and don't forget that you are the one living it,don't allow anyone who does not understand your stand makes you feel different or bad.

It is well with you and your children.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia: 8:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
BlackBaron:
Indeed it may be cultural, but alas our people sort of damn the consequences of which they were once carrying.

My great F was a very wealthy man, had quite a bit andmmuch more. Once he died, others were shut off. My grand was from the first wife and also the first son. Connivance rubbed him of his inheritance. The eventual benefactor's generation still enjoys the proceeds till this day. They can all choose to sit at home and still be comfortable...talking about inheritance since 1930-40!

Inheritance wars in africa are usually deadly, wise people are careful when confronted with such.

Imo, polygamy is simply a very effective means of population and lineage control, its quite common for polygamous families to knock each other off by various ways and means over the years without too many eyebrows being raised.
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tintingz(m): 8:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
bukatyne:

How did your father marry his polygamous lifestyle with his religion (Christianity)?

The Bible frowns against it and been the husband of one wife is a mandatory pure-requisite for becoming an elder
where in the bible did God frowns at polygamous men?

@topic I grew up in a well good polygamous home, there are challenges tho(ofcos every family face challenges).

My father did his best to keep us united, i never experience any conflict.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (26) (Reply)

Candace Owen: I Learned That Feminism Is A Scam, It Tears Women / Pregnant Woman Dances For 3 Hours, Gives Birth Afterwards / What I Noticed In My Neighborhood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.