Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah (6343 Views)

Ghana Suspends Sacking Of Nigerian Traders / 2million Nigerian Traders Sacked From Ghana Market / Zamfara State Gov Abdulaziz Yari Evicted From His Abuja Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mars123(m): 1:25pm On Sep 26, 2014
Ghanaian authorities should do what's best for them...even though this isn't.Nigerians will always travel for greener pastures even if it had the world's largest economy...my people say "the land is green and only those who are colour blind do not see it".
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by BlackTechnology: 1:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
GHKWAME1:
A law without enforcement is an advice. You sound so incoherent and confused. Enjoy your delusions.

Am I lying

Yes or No cheesy
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
ovadoze:
U re alwayas hyperventilating, this is about Ghana and Nigeria, yet in your timid and bigotted mind you ve found a way to bring Igbos into it. Did an Igbo man take your mother's breast milk out of your mouth. Why is it that u re so obsessed with Igbos, please grow up and be wise, stop making yourself look st00pid.
The Biafra we wanted, your folks found a way to thwart it, it is one Nigeria, so stop crying and try to make yourself relevant.
You're the stvpid person here.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 1:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
londoner:

You will see a backlash, if in reality enough Nigerians start building factories, an being successful.

Imo, it's a mindset.
The glo's in Ghana, the GT banks in Ghana, the Ovations in Ghana are not being targeted, why? because those are the type if investments Ghana is talking about, we can't take the burden of Nigeria's informal sector in Ghana. Thing is Nigerians are hypocrates at best and delusional at worst, as I type this sheet, 91 products from Ghana are banned from entering Nigeria(does it mean you also fear competition?). Why don't you allow import of cement into Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by Lucasbalo(m): 1:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
It's a shame that two countries that are supposed to be sister countries are squabbling over little stuff like that. That's what happens when the leadership fails the people they are supposed to lead. Battle of two third world nations.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 26, 2014
iamord:

Its always about Ghana !!! Nigeria can never be at fault for once. Do you know how many ghanaian goods and services are restricted from entering the nigerian market for some flimsy reasons.. How many ghanaian companies have tried to set up in nigeria . But are frustrated by the authorities.. Even going as far as breaking some ecowas rules. And u see nothing wrong. Well I do not support the way the ghanaian authorities are going about it. But the influx of nigerians in that sector have become too much.. Limits must be in place
Bros d problem with Ghana is that they have a free market where everything is imported, you want to import something from Europe into Ghana and then move it to Nigeria under the ECOWAS free trade meanwhile you ve paid the import duties to ghanian authorities, it's not possible, take Alomo bitters for example, it is allowed into Nigerian market because it is a pure product of Ghana and not imported, if Ghanians want to bring imported goods to Nigeria, they should come to Nigeria and import it, then pay the relevant taxes to the govt. and also face the stiff competition if they can. Take for instance the EPA that Nigeria refused to sign, d major market that Europe was targeting was Nigerian market, if we allow them to bring in goods freely into the country, they will stifle our economy and kill of the few manufacturing firms left and then our economy will be in shambles, without boasting when you talk about ECOWAS market u re talking about Nigeria majorly, we know the strength of our market and most Nigerians have the purchasing power, that's y most importers are targeting Nigeria. The excuse that Nigeria does not allow Ghanians to bring in goods to Nigeria is lame, why won't Nigeria allow Ghana to do business here and then allow South Africa.
Last line WE ARE AFRICA's BIGGEST ECONOMY, whether you want to believe it or leave in denial everybody wants to bring his goods here because they know we have the market.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 1:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
BlackTechnology:

The jobs it has created, has employed qualified Ghanaians
i just want to know the figure. Thats all
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 1:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
enigmaotr:
It will raise no eyebrow! It wont only send a signal to foreigners who can't withstand the taxes to relocate or stay out of business, but also serve as deterrent to those planning to go into the market.
thanks for such a great idea. Africa needs people like u.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 1:45pm On Sep 26, 2014
londoner:

The Nigerians we are discussing, are employing themselves, remember.

Ghana did not give them employment.

Actually, its a re-run of what happened leading up to Busia's order.

Nigeria need to see howthey can encourage students to desistt from studying in Ghana, in the long run.

i know u are very upset about this development but dont u think tit for tat myt destroy ghana's relationship with nigeria? It could even affect relationships btn two people of these nations. Dont u think so?
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by JiggamanGh: 1:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
As a Ghanaian I am embarrased by this law. This law is stupid and should be abolished asap. As long a person no matter where je or she is from is in the country legally and has the right documents to operate business then they should be allowed to comduct business.

If Ghanaian petty traders are not t business savy enough to compete with other migrants then ao be it. The law of a country should apply to everyone that is in the country legally.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 1:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
olodoowoh: that is where the population and government performance comes in.

A position in nigeria pays more than that same position in ghana, you can imagine a Nigerian senator earning more than the president of USA and bear it mind that the number of employed people in nigeria is more than the total population of ghana.
give me your solution to this problem?
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 1:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
olodoowoh: this is why i don't like arguing with ghanaians.

ok, let me help you, what's the GDP of ghana?

what's the Human development index (HDI) of ghana?

what's the gini coefficient of ghana?

what production output does ghana as a country have on africa?

those are the things that makes an economy, don't let me believe ghanaians are poorly grounded in basic economics.

Yet your people, 90% of who survive on less than $2 a day, are feeding fat from the dustbin despite your billions. You have billionaires and yet more than 120 million of your people don't have access to
electricity? http://
www.nairaland.com/1314971/120m-nigerians-
without-electricity-fg you have billionaires and
yet life expectancy in nigeria is 52 years?
You have billionaires and and yet your country is
so lowly rated on the United Nations Human
Development Index?
Nigeria, worst place to be born in 2013, http://
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/eiu-rates-nigeria-
worst-country-to-be-born-in/131476/ Jeez, people
are even burning
themselves up because of poverty grin http://
www.nairaland.com/1575652/
economic-hardship-fedrick-onuigbo-set

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
JiggamanGh: As a Ghanaian I am embarrased by this law. This law is stupid and should be anolished asap. As long a person no matter where je or she is from is in the country legally and has the right documents to operate business then they should be allowed to comduct business.

If Ghanaian petty traders are not t business savy enough to compete with other migrants then ao be it. The law of a country should apply to everyone that is in the country legally.

Thank you for your reasonable comment.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
londoner:

Well, to be honest there is a brain gain of Nigerians going back to Nigeria from the UK and USA. If they know there are likely opportunities, they will stay back.

If they know there will be less strikes and all the other vices mentioned, they will choose to stay in Nigeria. Nigeria should replicate what Ghana is doing in the education sector, to reduce the perception of benefits of going to Ghana, instead of staying in Nigeria.
a major incentive for nigerians in the diaspora to come home will be strengthening of the naira , constant electricity. So u seriously dont want ghana to get a dime from naija?
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
JiggamanGh: As a Ghanaian I am embarrased by this law. This law is stupid and should be anolished asap. As long a person no matter where je or she is from is in the country legally and has the right documents to operate business then they should be allowed to comduct business.

How do you mean? I hope you know that to own a media company in the states one must be an American citizen? All over the world, certain aspects of the host nation economy are preserved for its indegenes, why do you think its only Dangote that gets to produce cement in Nigeria and gets to bluff of his millions thinking he would have done so on a level playing field? Thing is we(Ghana) cannot accommodate the influx of Nigerians into our informal sector. Thank God the police have reduced foreign(especially Nigerians) related crimes in Ghana, do you know what twenty million Nigerians in Ghana will mean?
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 1:57pm On Sep 26, 2014

very very true massa! The law should be scrapped off, we ghanaians have to look at the bigger picture coz this could a long way to affect us and our reputation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 1:59pm On Sep 26, 2014
mrham03: very very true massa! The law should be scrapped off, we ghanaians have to look at the bigger picture coz this could a long way to affect us and our reputation.
What bigger picture? so you want them to come establish okada and table top business in Ghana huh?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 2:07pm On Sep 26, 2014
GHKWAME1: What bigger picture? so you want them to come establish okada and table top business in Ghana huh?
no boss ! I want them to get a quota as to the number of people allowed to trade in our markets. The bigger picture could be ghana must go and naija must go. It can happen again.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 2:08pm On Sep 26, 2014
Lagos Traders battle Chinese over market invasion
The Embroidery Dealers Association and the
association of Nigerian Marketers of the Balogun
market and Ereko Idumota area of Lagos Island
have staged a protest to the office of Iyaloja of
the market, Alhaja Habitat Mogaji, over the
alleged invasion of their markets by some
Chinese, who they claimed have almost taken
over their business.
The aggrieved traders also stormed Alausa, in no
fewer than 10 BRT Buses loaded with their
members to express their anger to Lagos State
government.
The protest, Inside Lagos discovered, took place
following an allegation that the Chinese importers
had allegedly brought disrepute to the smooth
running of their business by flooding the market
with inferior quality textile and hair products
being sold at ridiculously cheap prices.
Speaking with one of the lace fabric dealers,
Alhaja Muheebat Adeoye, she claimed that the
Chinese were not only allegedly robbing the
traders but also the consumers, explaining that
“these Chinese have Nigerians fronting for them
in our markets and they mix high ones products
with the inferior quality even as they sell at very
cheap rates
. The buyers cannot differentiate
because the imitation is so perfect that one will
hardly know the fake and they are killing our
business because we don’t sell anymore”.
She declared that the market was closed in order
to express their objection to the Chinese dealers
in the market as they were not satisfied with the
way the Chinese were continually ruining their
business.
She went further to inform that it was usually
difficult to get the original imported lace sold
because the Chinese had allegedly produced an
imitation, the same pattern of materials and sold
at very low rate.
According to her, “we cannot get the imported
lace again in Lagos market, the so called
Chinese have destroyed the market for instance
they sold the material of fifteen thousand at
three thousand naira”
Lamenting also, a leather box trader, Mr. Adeolu
Owolabi, noted that “as the situation is presently,
some traders who are the beneficiaries of the
Chinese products are not happy with the protest,
while others whose businesses are affected are
satisfied with the situation. Honestly, these
Chinese are killing our business and we want the
government to do something about this because
this cannot obtain in their own country
. How can
they rob us of our rights” he queried.
http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/
component/k2/item/8102-lagos-traders-battle-
chinese-over-market-invasion

ghkwame1: I posted the above story on the first page but was conveniently ignored.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 2:11pm On Sep 26, 2014
mrham03: no boss ! I want them to get a quota as to the number of people allowed to trade in our markets. The bigger picture could be ghana must go and naija must go. It can happen again.
And what if it happens? 91 products are already banned from Ghana into Nigeria as well as their constant sabotaging of the wapco gas to Ghana. You can't go to America and start demanding for a quota system in a place where you are not allowed to compete in.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by SantaMafia: 2:15pm On Sep 26, 2014
hahahahaha nigerians brought this upon themselves grin Ghanaians accepted them as brothers and gave them preferential treatment over other foreigners and then how were we paid back? these same nigerians started boasting about how they were "controlling" Ghana's economy? Can you imagine that nonsense? you control Ghana's economy because you have some 6 nigerian banks out of 36 and one telecom company out of six registered?

I know for a fact that nigerians coming to do business in Ghana currently face a far bigger challenges than those who came initially. for example, very very few nigerians companies operate in Ghana's oil and gas industry. Isn't that strange considering the fact that nigeria has long years of exposure and experience in the industry and therefore would have taken a domineering role in Ghana's oil and gas? I know for a fact what those few nigerian companies that were lucky to get little contracts in Ghana's oil and gas went through.

nigerians don't come anywhere near to 'controlling' Ghana's economy and yet were boasting they controlled your economy. what will happen when (if by some miracle) they get to really "control" your economy? Ghanaians are not stvpid and are beggining to see nigerians for who they are....enemies.... or to be politically correct ......nigerians are always scheming and praying for Ghana's downfall.

and how come no one is talking about the arbitrary impediments imposed by nigeria since Obasanjo's time which bans many goods from other west african nations from entering nigeria?

There is very little trade between the two countries so Ghana won't even feel it if nigeria decides to retaliate. Soon, Ghana will start receiving gas from its own gas processing plant, so even the gas that comes from nigeria will become less relevant!
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 2:20pm On Sep 26, 2014
GHKWAME1: And what if it happens? 91 products are already banned from Ghana into Nigeria as well as their constant sabotaging of the wapco gas to Ghana. You can't go to America and start demanding for a quota system in a place where you are not allowed to compete in.
okay if thats the case then , we have to all negotiate, something is got to give. If they allow our goods into their country then we give them a quota in our market. How about that?
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 2:26pm On Sep 26, 2014
iconize, petrodollar is waiting for u. Be a man and come out.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 2:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
mrham03: okay if thats the case then , we have to all negotiate, something is got to give. If they allow our goods into their country then we give them a quota in our market. How about that?
Nigeria can afford to cushion its coffers with billions of oil inflows, Ghana does not. There is nothing to negotiate, I keep stressing that all over the world, there are no go areas for foreigners.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by SantaMafia: 2:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
GHKWAME1: The glo's in Ghana, the GT banks in Ghana, the Ovations in Ghana are not being targeted, why? because those are the type if investments Ghana is talking about, we can't take the burden of Nigeria's informal sector in Ghana. Thing is Nigerians are hypocrates at best and delusional at worst, as I type this sheet, 91 products from Ghana are banned from entering Nigeria(does it mean you also fear competition?). Why don't you allow import of cement into Nigeria?
funny thing is that nigeria had applied discriminatory policies against foreign interests and are the same ones complaining today. didn't obasanjo pass some indigenisation crap or something like that and even the mass deportations of 1983 and 1985.

When I bought land in central Abuja some years ago to build, when I got to the FCT Land Registry (during el-Rufai's time). They had just introduced a computerised system of land registration in FCT at that time. I had to fill a form. On the form there was no room for non-nigerians. it only talked about 36 states. I had to register falsely under Lagos state! I was told for me as foreigner to register as a land owner in Abuja, I needed a waiver from the President of Nigeria or the Minister of FCT! Do nigerians face such impediments in acquiring land in Accra? and yet some of you sit and talk anyhow!
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by Yeske2(m): 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2014
To counter this trash head-on, we Nigerians should urge our government to make any Ghanaian degree illegal in 3 years time if the Ghanaian authorities don't recant on this decision and place an embargo on Ghanaian goods so we'll see who will cry last. I'll start by boycotting Alomo bitters.
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD
and this
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GNP.PCAP.PP.CD/countries
Edited.
A population of 170 million with a higher per capita compared to that of 27 million, Ghanaians go hear am.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 2:30pm On Sep 26, 2014
GHKWAME1: Lagos Traders battle Chinese over market invasion
The Embroidery Dealers Association and the
association of Nigerian Marketers of the Balogun
market and Ereko Idumota area of Lagos Island
have staged a protest to the office of Iyaloja of
the market, Alhaja Habitat Mogaji, over the
alleged invasion of their markets by some
Chinese, who they claimed have almost taken
over their business.
The aggrieved traders also stormed Alausa, in no
fewer than 10 BRT Buses loaded with their
members to express their anger to Lagos State
government.
The protest, Inside Lagos discovered, took place
following an allegation that the Chinese importers
had allegedly brought disrepute to the smooth
running of their business by flooding the market
with inferior quality textile and hair products
being sold at ridiculously cheap prices.
Speaking with one of the lace fabric dealers,
Alhaja Muheebat Adeoye, she claimed that the
Chinese were not only allegedly robbing the
traders but also the consumers, explaining that
“these Chinese have Nigerians fronting for them
in our markets and they mix high ones products
with the inferior quality even as they sell at very
cheap rates
. The buyers cannot differentiate
because the imitation is so perfect that one will
hardly know the fake and they are killing our
business because we don’t sell anymore”.
She declared that the market was closed in order
to express their objection to the Chinese dealers
in the market as they were not satisfied with the
way the Chinese were continually ruining their
business.
She went further to inform that it was usually
difficult to get the original imported lace sold
because the Chinese had allegedly produced an
imitation, the same pattern of materials and sold
at very low rate.
According to her, “we cannot get the imported
lace again in Lagos market, the so called
Chinese have destroyed the market for instance
they sold the material of fifteen thousand at
three thousand naira”
Lamenting also, a leather box trader, Mr. Adeolu
Owolabi, noted that “as the situation is presently,
some traders who are the beneficiaries of the
Chinese products are not happy with the protest,
while others whose businesses are affected are
satisfied with the situation. Honestly, these
Chinese are killing our business and we want the
government to do something about this because
this cannot obtain in their own country
. How can
they rob us of our rights” he queried.
http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/
component/k2/item/8102-lagos-traders-battle-
chinese-over-market-invasion

thank you for showing this. I didnt know. Then nigerians shouldnt complain at all.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by mrham03(m): 2:32pm On Sep 26, 2014
GHKWAME1: Nigeria can afford to cushion its coffers with billions of oil inflows, Ghana does not. There is nothing to negotiate, I keep stressing that all over the world, there are no go areas for foreigners.
i agree with u now. with what they did to the chinese in nigeria, then they shouldnt be complaining at all now.
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 2:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
mrham03: thank you for showing this. I didnt know. Then nigerians shouldnt complain at all.
Did you read how the association President was at pain to stress that the government is targeting Nigerians?
Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by Dcmg(m): 2:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
mrham03: OUR markets were constructed purposely for ghanaian citizens, u know our population is way way way lower than that of nigeria's ryt? So when nigerian traders come to do business in ghana and they become successful, their fellow nigerians also gets interested and also come join him to also do their business here but unfortunately our market cant accommodate all the nigerians and ghanaians so it becomes a competition for a place to do business and since the nigerians come prepared ( with money and persuasion) they get it. so as the numbers of nigerians doing business over here doubles, alot of ghanaians lose out. Thats why that should happen. (The regulation)
Why won't ghanaian traders lose out when they are very lazy and unserious.Competition is what they need and that's why Nigerian traders are waxing very strong.
Just imagine,you go to a ghanian trader's shop to get some goods,sometimes the ghanaian trader will tell you "i'm tired i can't sell",but his shop is open and what you want to buy is very present but at times they would tell you "i'm tired i can't sell".What is that suppose to mean?If you can't sell can't you stay in you house?Na by force to be trader?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Traders Evicted Fom Ghanah by GHKWAME1: 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2014
Dcmg: Why won't ghanaian traders lose out when they are very lazy and unserious.Competition is what they need and that's why Nigerian traders are waxing very strong.
Just imagine,you go to a ghanian trader's shop to get some goods,sometimes the ghanaian trader will tell you "i'm tired i can't sell",but his shop is open and what you want to buy is very present but at times they would tell you "i'm tired i can't sell".What is that suppose to mean?If you can't sell can't you stay in you house?Na by force to be trader?
The Ghanaian in the eyes of a Nigerian is lazy because he will not indulge in shady deals (fraud) and go out to break rules and regulations, a walking insult like you cannot dent the image of Ghanaians.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igbos Are The Reason Nigerians Are Hated All Over The World – Aye Dee / *Nairaland Poll Obaseki (like) Ize Iyamu (share) Voting Continues Click please / Abaribe: Senate May Not Reconsider Gender Bills

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.