Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate - Fashion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate (44623 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by bettes(f): 5:08pm On Nov 27, 2008
@Fayahsoul:your post about christianity and Islam being a religion of hatred,and blaming the devil for everything,even defending satans reasons for tempting Adam and Eve,you say you are spiritual or did you mean to say to say you were a Satanist because from that post that can be the only conclusion.
There seems to be to many contradictions of your beliefs in your post,you say God is racist-Do you know what racism means at all?And you claim there's nothing like racism?
you are an embittered person who is living in a world of illusions.
You say that Lewis Latimer invented the phone,(i laughed and almost choked when i saw that now)you obviously came here with the intent of meeting illiterates,no wonder you didnt write your normal history notes.Where did you get that from encyclopedia fayahsoulinica??
Lewis fatimer was given credit due to him and that is for co-inventing the improved ofbathroom compartment of the train with W.C Brown, Latimer was sought out by Abraham Graham Bell(the inventor of the telephone)he created a device and wanted Latimer to help draft the drawing of a patent application,and device was the telephone.Latimer also worked with Thomas Edison's company as the draftman in the legal department.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by 2tait: 5:54pm On Nov 27, 2008
Looking good is good business.
A lot of people make a lot of money from those things.
Let them enjoy the money at our expense LOL

They are make believe.
They are not real.
They simply cover our so called inadequacies.

www.wetindeyforum.com
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by LRNZH(m): 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by WesleyanA(f): 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2008
I personally don't see wigs, weaves and perms as symbols of self-hate but I think too many black females use and can't live without these stuff.  There will be a high rate of suicide among black females if wigs, weaves and perms were banned. lol. I can just imagine black girls jumping out of their windows thinking it's the end of the world.

The dependency is what I hate
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:17am On Nov 28, 2008
@tpia

and yes, Egyptians used wigs and hair extensions. Heavily and on a grand scale.

take time to check out this link:

Do you actually think that these white egyptologists know what the heck they are doing over there in kemet?

These same devils that say that kemet is not part of nubia?

You really expect me to obtain historical information about the cultural practices of my ancestors from whitey?

You must have lost your rabbit ass mind.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 2:23am On Nov 28, 2008
Fayahsoul's still on his campaign? grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:34am On Nov 28, 2008
From the pictures u are attaching and calling self-haters because of their hairdo, I can certainly say your trousers most be hanging on ur ankle. Am sure you don't wear deodorants not perfs.

If your bath properly with the right method you wouldn't need deodorant/perf. Deodorant/perf conceals body odour, it's detrimental to your skin cells and it's toxic. Items like deodorant and mouth wash make people dependant on them and unable to take the time to bath and brush thoroughly. You also will find that the day you don't use this deodorants/perfs your body odour will be intensified.

But of course to the warped mind of a modern human it's part of what being civilized is all about.

christmas goat.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:38am On Nov 28, 2008
Bros its not about being natural or not being natural. If being natural makes a lady beautiful fine!, if the lady thinks using weaves and perms makes her more beautiful than being natural, then please let the lady be.

What I believe nairalanders hate is someone wanting to hang everyone who does not accept there philosophy

This is not a philosophy, this is about doing what is right.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:57am On Nov 28, 2008
@Fayahsoul:your post about christianity and Islam being a religion of hatred,and blaming the devil for everything,even defending satans reasons for tempting Adam and Eve,you say you are spiritual or did you mean to say to say you were a Satanist because from that post that can be the only conclusion.

No i am not a satanist. I know(not believe) there is a supreme being but my conception of this being is nothing like your biblical "God".

There seems to be to many contradictions of your beliefs in your post,you say God is racist-Do you know what racism means at all?And you claim there's nothing like racism?

I never said that there's nothing like racism, what are you talking about?

Lewis fatimer was given credit due to him and that is for co-inventing the improved ofbathroom compartment of the train with W.C Brown, Latimer was sought out by Abraham Graham Bell(the inventor of the telephone)he created a device and wanted Latimer to help draft the drawing of a patent application,and device was the telephone.

Still believing whiteys lies huh? You really believe that a white man will call a so-called negroe just to "help draft the drawing of a patent application"? hahahaha

Bell stole latimers invention by cunningly submitting a patent before he could.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 3:13am On Nov 28, 2008
Why haven't you sistas learn't the moral of the story of dread locked samson and delilah?
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by FutureMD: 3:18am On Nov 28, 2008
I think that the reasons for wearing the items in question are what causes the issue and deal with the subconscious and conscious self-hatred.

Personally, my hair is completely natural, I love it, I know how to do hair and my hair is very full, I keep it conditioned and well taken care of, so it's soft, manageable, and getting longer/healthier, and I can press it if I need to straighten it for something different.
However, if a person is in between hair styles and wears a wig one day, this is not a problem.  Truly, the intent is the issue.  People perm their hair because they say their hair is "bad."  This is the wrong mentality, your hair is not bad, but black women from all over the world try to approach their hair like it is white hair and that's where the problem lies, we need to understand how to take care of OUR hair, not just perm it and complain our hair is bad because it doesn't do what white hair does.

I'm an advocate for natural hair, but I don't completely knock permed hair.  It is a common mentality that permed hair is "better" than natural hair, and there are many words in American English to characterize natural African hair, nappy, coarse, etc.  Therein, lies the problem.  I knock the mentality that permed hair has created in many people.
Some people say that their hair is "nasty" without a perm, God-given natural hair is not nasty, there is nothing wrong with your hair or my hair because of how it was made or the texture, knowing how to take care of this hair is your issue.

It doesn't make sense to insult one another, let us be mindful of what we say to one another.

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 4:46am On Nov 28, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by FutureMD: 5:16am On Nov 28, 2008
Huh

I didn't say wearing wigs, etc was a show of self-hate,

You misinterpreted my statement, let me be clearer, people on here are quick to misinterpret, but all is well, this topic states that wearing wigs symbolizes self-hate, and I'm saying it's not the actual WIG that's the problem, but the reasons why people wear those things in question is what CAN be problematic. Those reasons that involve self-hatred are the problem here, not just a woman wearing a wig.

I always braid my hair and don't have an afro, but I'm thinking you are not referring to me by your comment.

I'm not wrong, I know what I'm talking about. lol
*sigh*

But the use of hijab in the middle east has a different basis than the "afrocentricity" exhibited on this forum, I don't think I would compare the two.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 5:21am On Nov 28, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 5:24am On Nov 28, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by FutureMD: 5:45am On Nov 28, 2008
Hm,

Perhaps you don't know people who qualify, but I know PLENTY of black people who seriously do hate their natural hair, they do things to it because they think their hair is BAD. If someone's reasoning is like that, then it's a problem, I don't see why someone would argue that's not true, it's a reality that walks down the streets everyday, I come face to face with it on a regular,
People used to criticize ME because my hair was natural, but I am not criticizing anyone, just saying that whatever you do to your hair, let it be for a good reason,

--"No, people do not change their natural hair because they hate it, but because they want to change their hairstyle. And thats all there is to it. "

Now you're making blank statements, how do you know what everyone does and why? I base my assertions on what I have actually witnessed throughout life,
You made an assumption, yet you accuse me of assuming. But how I wish it were just that simple, that that really was all there is to it,
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 5:51am On Nov 28, 2008
tpia:

No, people do not change their natural hair because they hate it, but because they want to change their hairstyle. And thats all there is to it.

Variety is the spice of life.

Then why is it that this thirst for versatility in hair style never includes natural hair?

The fact that the vast majority of sistas never wear their natural hair indicates hatred of it.

For instance, if the vast majority of male nubians prefer to wear only western clothing then this is an indication of hatred for traditional clothing.

and that is all there is to that.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 5:54am On Nov 28, 2008
Quick question: male pattern baldness should be blamed on what? Since it still happens even when the men don't perm their hair or use weaves.

It is a male genetic disorder and therefore it's inevitable.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 28, 2008
@ topic

I don't mind going natural or braiding. I do the one I like at that particular moment. The reason why i braid is simply because I am stress free for at least a month. I don't have to wake up 10 mins earlier to comb my hair nor do I have to apply all those creams to make it soft.

I actually did cut my hair back in 2007, but I went back to braids during summer after my hair had grown back.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by okunoba(m): 1:21pm On Nov 28, 2008
I know alot of black guys here in England that will never date a girl with fake hair because of the smell and unnatural feel u get when playing with it. If black hair was so difficult to manage y do most black men still keep it natural. If u see a black guy with permed hair don`t u think it looks funny. I have never come across a guy that decided to perm his hair because he found it too difficult to manage. Lets call a spade a spade. Because we are looked down on by the rest of the world we have become hatefull of our blackness. We hate our language, clothing, skin, hair and so on. How many primary school kids of black African descent do u hear speaking an African language on the street in Europe or America, whereas it`s not uncommon to hear Asian kids speaking Urdu or Punjabi with pride in these countries.We even laugh at does of us that can`t speak the slave master`s language perfectly, though they speak and write in their native tongue eloquently. When are we going to get away from mental slavery and colonial mentality.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 28, 2008
okunoba:

I know alot of black guys here in England that will never date a girl with fake hair because of the smell and unnatural feel u get when playing with it. If black hair was so difficult to manage y do most black men still keep it natural. If u see a black guy with permed hair don`t u think it looks funny. I have never come across a guy that decided to perm his hair because he found it too difficult to manage. Lets call a spade a spade. Because we are looked down on by the rest of the world we have become hatefull of our blackness. We hate our language, clothing, skin, hair and so on. How many primary school kids of black African descent do u hear speaking an African language on the street in Europe or America, whereas it`s not uncommon to hear Asian kids speaking Urdu or Punjabi with pride in these countries.We even laugh at does of us that can`t speak the slave master`s language perfectly, though they speak and write in their native tongue eloquently. When are we going to get away from mental slavery and colonial mentality.

What the fok are you yarning? How can you compare a man's hair (cut) and woman's hair (long)? You had better change your pusher.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by okunoba(m): 1:56pm On Nov 28, 2008
Afro, Afro, Afro, some keep it long some keep it short. It`s not about the length. The ladies are just looking for any escuse to escape the fact that the reason they perm is due to the effects of Slavery and coloniazation.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 28, 2008
okunoba:

Afro, Afro, Afro, some keep it long some keep it short. It`s not about the length. The ladies are just looking for any escuse to escape the fact that the reason they perm is due to the effects of Slavery and coloniazation.

Go jam car!

Next!!!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by okunoba(m): 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2008
Michelin 89,
if u go natural u will most likely get more and better paying clientele. U see it`s a win win situation.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2008
okunoba:

Michelin 89,
if u go natural u will most likely get more and better paying clientele. U see it`s a win win situation.

Ahahahahhahahahaha! grin grin What an idiot! My friend find a better way to get at me. Besides between you and I, you sound more like the jilted LovePeddler.

Natural my ass! grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 28, 2008
@ Ebony
Real gud talk!
@ poster
cud u tell us sumthing else that we dnt know sad
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by cyriluzo(m): 4:12pm On Nov 28, 2008
@fayasoul
If your bath properly with the right method you wouldn't need deodorant/perf. Deodorant/perf conceals body odour, it's detrimental to your skin cells and it's toxic. Items like deodorant and mouth wash make people dependant on them and unable to take the time to bath and brush thoroughly. You also will find that the day you don't use this deodorants/perfs your body odour will be intensified.

But of course to the warped mind of a modern human it's part of what being civilized is all about.

christmas goat.

Now ur intents are clear,

Perfs are bad
Hair conditioners are bad
Hair cream is bad
Body Lotion is Bad(this included vaseline)
Body Spray is bad

House pls just complete the list.

@fayasoul, pls should we also stop cooking our meals?, i think nairalanders should be forced to eat their food raw because cooking them destroys the nutrients and it makes it "unnatural".

So please nairalanders, jus go around the place with no perf nor deodorant(na so fayasoul talk). Dont mind if you hav body odour or not. Jus go around smelly. lol

All hail fayasoul, U r the new liberator of our age. lol

Cheers!!!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by vislabraye(m): 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2008
"If your bath properly with the right method you wouldn't need deodorant/perf. Deodorant/perf conceals body odour, it's detrimental to your skin cells and it's toxic. Items like deodorant and mouth wash make people dependant on them and unable to take the time to bath and brush thoroughly. You also will find that the day you don't use this deodorants/perfs your body odour will be intensified.

christmas goat."

[color=#006600][/color] I u bath properly you wouldt need deodorant? Are u sure? If deodorant is harmful, why won't soap also be harmful, And by the way, it is the Aluinium that is contained in deodorant that make them harmful. But there are alternatives- there are herbal
Men u sound ridiculous by also condeming mouth wash shocked . i wonder where u got that idea from. I dont think u are a scientist
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by UNLEASHED(m): 5:25pm On Nov 28, 2008
okunoba:

If black hair was so difficult to manage y do most black men still keep it natural. If u see a black guy with permed hair don`t u think it looks funny. I have never come across a guy that decided to perm his hair because he found it too difficult to manage. Lets call a spade a spade. Because we are looked down on by the rest of the world we have become hatefull of our blackness. We hate our language, clothing, skin, hair and so on. How many primary school kids of black African descent do u hear speaking an African language on the street in Europe or America, whereas it`s not uncommon to hear Asian kids speaking Urdu or Punjabi with pride in these countries.We even laugh at does of us that can`t speak the slave master`s language perfectly, though they speak and write in their native tongue eloquently. When are we going to get away from mental slavery and colonial mentality.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by UNLEASHED(m): 5:48pm On Nov 28, 2008
You know i once met a Nigerian woman in a train someday, she reached the station she's going and about to alight from the train i think, then she hitted her head against holder, somehow, i don't know and her wig went off, I hardly knew in the train that she had a wig on, man if you see her head without the wig, it's horrble man, the Dutch guys in the train were all laughing, she might not feel ashamed but I do. I really don't know why we don't want to be our real self. To be sincere, mi o mo reason!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by whatever90(f): 6:51pm On Nov 28, 2008
UNLEASHED:

You know i once met a Nigerian woman in a train someday, she reached the station she's going and about to alight from the train i think, then she hitted her head against holder, somehow, i don't know and her wig went off, I hardly knew in the train that she had a wig on, man if you see her head without the wig, it's horrble man, the [b]Dutch [/b]guys in the train were all laughing, she might not feel ashamed but I do. I really don't know why we don't want to be our real self. To be sincere, mi o mo reason!
Dutch or Deutsch? undecided

by d way ur english is kaputt,why? undecided
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 7:31pm On Nov 28, 2008

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Photos: Am The Most Handsome And Decent Nairalander, Your Take / Cute Ankara Style / What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79