Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate - Fashion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate (44582 Views)

Latest Weaves In The Market And Prices / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market / ~ How Long Do You Keep Your Weaves, Braids & Cornrows~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 1:57am On Nov 29, 2008
savanaha:

PK- pastors kid. People tend to spend their time watching the pastor and especially his kids rather than seeking their own salvation. Too bad on the judgement day God will probably not query you on what the PK was up to into or was not doing. Too bad!!

what does this have to do with anything? "Pk dilemma" was just an example. Same way you have strict vegans who end up with children that are lovers of meat and hunt animals, that's my point.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 2:01am On Nov 29, 2008
KarmaMod:

what does this have to do with anything? "Pk dilemma" was just an example. Same way you have strict vegans who end up with children that are lovers of meat and hunt animals, that's my point.

Ohh well good for you!! It's hard to have vegan parents and grow up to eat meat. . .well probably not but I know that if you eat meat after not eating it for years you will more than likely get sick.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 2:02am On Nov 29, 2008
Rofl. I see it still flew over your head grin

anyway keep up the protest wink
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 2:05am On Nov 29, 2008
KarmaMod:

Rofl. I see it still flew over your head grin

anyway keep up the protest wink

I think its hilarious when Nigerians or Africans or even people don't realize they have won something. I said good for you! You won!! A child may deviate from their parents beliefs, yes you are RIGHT! Since you have won that, now win the victory on your self. Stop self hating by putting those weave ons
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:07am On Nov 29, 2008
if you know anything about Nigeria, you'd surely know every market place has mad people sporting dreads? And no responsible parent or teacher would want their child or student looking like a mad person? Since dreads are almost exclusively associated with lunatics? The only exception being if the person sporting the dreads is rich, a public figure, or someone whose sanity has been verified by people around him or her?

Ah ha, now the truth is coming out of your lying lips. You always come up with lousy excuses for your self hate.

Dread locks is the most natural state a nubians hair can be in and that's why self-hating nigerias see it as lunacy. The dreads of a sane person is easily distinguishable from that of a mad person but self haters are too blind to see any difference. So it is just the deep seated prejudice that's caused by self hate that makes so-called nigerian to equate locks to madness. And those with dreads(of which there are none) will always be prejudged by people in their community just like whitey would.

This is a psychological malady.

and yes, there are plenty of Nigerian women who keep their natural hair. Most do it for religious reasons while others were forced by their husbands to stop perming. One lady I know of, was forced to go natural yet the husband spent his time chasing ladies with permed hair. He just didnt want the one at home using chemicals on her hair, but he didnt mind it on the ones outside. Who's fooling who for goodness sake.

You are just proving my point. Our sistas will almost never wear their hair naturally unless they are compelled to do so by divine intervention or external restraints. Everyone knows(whether they choose to admit it or not) that a "normal" nigerian sista who can afford these fake hair and perms will not opt for natural hair; as wesleyanA has noted, they are total dependent on this fakeness. It is now a matter of class and a symbol of refinement and higher socioeconomic status.

Stop fooling yourself. Your colonial mentality is so blantant and your self hate is contagious. But i am doing this to quarantine your psychological malady from other sistas who may be redeemable.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:11am On Nov 29, 2008
Oh my gosh your a chemist!! What college did you go to?

University of toronto; the so-called harvard of the north.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 2:12am On Nov 29, 2008
fayahsoul:

University of toronto; the so-called harvard of the north.

How cool!!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 2:31am On Nov 29, 2008
savanaha:

I think its hilarious when Nigerians or Africans or even people don't realize they have won something. I said good for you! You won!! A child may deviate from their parents beliefs, yes you are RIGHT! Since you have won that, now win the victory on your self. Stop self hating by putting those weave ons

The Goddess has spoken.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 4:54am On Nov 29, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by onyinye2(f): 4:59am On Nov 29, 2008
This is the upmost hilarious thread I have ever encountered. I mean who would have think something like as irrelevant as "dead protein" aka "Hair" would simulate a argument all the way to symbolize self-hate.

Personally I pretty much expected such ridiculous out burst from Savannah being that the chic almost had a brain aneurysm when I spoke of how much better the US was in the Olympics compared to most countries. The child almost when suicidal on me, with her counterpart Idupaul.

On the serious note, I have never ever ever seen an Nigerian man esp and Igbo man so into hair like this fruity tooty Fayahsoul. I mean come on. Who gives two shits on how I do my hair. I can dye it blue one make the tip electric green and give two shits about any of yal's opinion cause I do my hair how i want it, whenever I want it. If I wanted your opinion I would have called you when i was doing it but thank Jehovah I didn't.

Like I give a damn about those stupid people who go natural. These are the same idiots who are so insecure with their identity that they feel they need to somehow "prove" to people that they are "Black" or "African". Like I give a damn if you are from Zimbabwe or dog gone Toronto. Hair is hair. It dies off and it regrows no matter how much "healthier" you think it is. Olodos.

Self haters are also people who feel so insecure about their decision that they try and impose their views upon another. Just so that they have another idiot to some how back they lame ass up cause they too stupid to stick up for themselves.

How the hell don't you use deodorant boy?? That is just plain sick and nasty. Stay the hell away from me if by the devil's curse we meet cause like hell Im about to let some fly attracting man come two feet close to me. Dumb ass. Also who ever made that "we are so ashamed to speak our native language" Bull. Like you could speak your language anyways. Doubt you could. I know why don't we ask Queen Nubian Savannah to speak her language. But oh wait, miss All-natural can't. Ahhhhhhh. . . . .  too bad.

All in all leave people alone. We have too much to worry about that we allow something as stupid and pointless as hair to actually reach 20 page worth.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tpia: 5:01am On Nov 29, 2008
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 29, 2008
onyinye2:

This is the upmost hilarious thread I have ever encountered. I mean who would have think something like as irrelevant as "dead protein" aka "Hair" would simulate a argument all the way to symbolize self-hate.

Personally I pretty much expected such ridiculous out burst from Savannah being that the chic almost had a brain aneurysm when I spoke of how much better the US was in the Olympics compared to most countries. The child almost when suicidal on me, with her counterpart Idupaul.

On the serious note, I have never ever ever seen an Nigerian man esp and Igbo man so into hair like this fruity tooty Fayahsoul. I mean come on. Who gives two shits on how I do my hair. I can dye it blue one make the tip electric green and give two shits about any of yal's opinion cause I do my hair how i want it, whenever I want it. If I wanted your opinion I would have called you when i was doing it but thank Jehovah I didn't.

Like I give a damn about those stupid people who go natural. These are the same idiots who are so insecure with their identity that they feel they need to somehow "prove" to people that they are "Black" or "African". Like I give a damn if you are from Zimbabwe or dog gone Toronto. Hair is hair. It dies off and it regrows no matter how much "healthier" you think it is. Olodos.

Self haters are also people who feel so insecure about their decision that they try and impose their views upon another. Just so that they have another idiot to some how back they lame ass up cause they too stupid to stick up for themselves.

How the hell don't you use deodorant boy?? That is just plain sick and nasty. Stay the hell away from me if by the devil's curse we meet cause like hell I'm about to let some fly attracting man come two feet close to me. Dumb ass. Also who ever made that "we are so ashamed to speak our native language" Bull. Like you could speak your language anyways. Doubt you could. I know why don't we ask Queen Nubian Savannah to speak her language. But oh wait, miss All-natural can't. Ahhhhhhh. . . . . too bad.

All in all leave people alone. We have too much to worry about that we allow something as stupid and pointless as hair to actually reach 20 page worth.
rotflmao!!!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by fayahsoul: 7:08am On Nov 29, 2008
onyinye2:

How the hell don't you use deodorant boy?? That is just plain sick and nasty. Stay the hell away from me if by the devil's curse we meet cause like hell I'm about to let some fly attracting man come two feet close to me. Dumb ass. Also who ever made that "we are so ashamed to speak our native language" Bull. Like you could speak your language anyways. Doubt you could. I know why don't we ask Queen Nubian Savannah to speak her language. But oh wait, miss All-natural can't. Ahhhhhhh. . . . . too bad.

Spoken like the true self hating twitch that you are.

Of course there are no igbo guys like me. I am one of a kind, a new breed who is on a mission to destroy the likes of you.

believe that.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 4:04pm On Nov 29, 2008
onyinye2:

I know why don't we ask Queen Nubian Savannah to speak her language. But oh wait, miss All-natural can't. Ahhhhhhh. . . . .  too bad.

Wow didn't know you were holding an e-grudge about something that happened in August. So many more important things have occured since then and your still holding an e-grudge and writing a novel to state it. Am sorry your an American who wants to support the silly American attitude of wanting to be cocky even when it doesn't make sense. I on the other am not American and won't pretend.

I hope you didn't faint because for someone that don't give "two damns plus two three shts and a partridge in a pear tree" your the one ranting and raving about a thread that specifically states that what you are doing to your body is self hate. You know its true that why your acting so menopausal. Ohh before I forget thank you Naustradumbass for knowing whether or not I speak Igbo.

But on a serious note if you stop wearing those tight weaves that rip out your hairline or are you a glue on girl. . . anyways when you stop all those unnatural things you do to your body you will probably stop being wound so tightly. Your face probably looks like it will explode. . .quickly go take them off and appreciate yourself

PS. I didn't and wouldn't even have remembered you had you not mentioned Olympics.
tutti fruity (fruitty tooty) if you can't diss people without looking silly then don't try. I hope you respond before you go in a chemically induced comma from the lye in the perm you kill your scalp with.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by UNLEASHED(m): 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2008
@whatever90
What do you expect, I ain't Wentworth but a Nigerian, a Yoruba guy to be precise and i'm proud to be.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by whatever90(f): 7:48pm On Nov 29, 2008
UNLEASHED:

@whatever90
What do you expect, I ain't Wentworth but a Nigerian, a Yoruba guy to be precise and i'm proud to be.

it looks as if u r in deutschland because u mentioned dutch,d least u can do is know what the germans r called since u live in their country

they r nt called dutch anymore but deutsche/r/in
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by whatever90(f): 7:51pm On Nov 29, 2008
onyinye2:

How the hell don't you use deodorant boy?? That is just plain sick and nasty. Stay the hell away from me if by the devil's curse we meet cause like hell I'm about to let some fly attracting man come two feet close to me. Dumb ass. Also who ever made that "we are so ashamed to speak our native language" Bull. Like you could speak your language anyways. Doubt you could. I know why don't we ask Queen Nubian Savannah to speak her language. But oh wait, miss All-natural can't. Ahhhhhhh. . . . .  too bad.

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa christ grin grin grin grin
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Uche2nna(m): 7:54pm On Nov 29, 2008
Kai, I miss Onyinye2 (lol)
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by WesleyanA(f): 4:59am On Nov 30, 2008
onyinye2:

Like I give a damn about those stupid people who go natural. These are the same idiots who are so insecure with their identity that they feel they need to somehow "prove" to people that they are "Black" or "African". Like I give a damn if you are from Zimbabwe or dog gone Toronto.

Your "people who keep their hair natural are stupid and insecure" theory is very funny. I bet you're the kind that will perm and weave your child's hair right after the baby pops out of your stomach (yeah it's not uncommon to see less than 1 year old babies with perm to show how stupid some mothers are) since the word "natural" hurts your guts.
and I know we all do stupid things sometimes.  smiley It's ok

Hair is hair. It dies off and it regrows no matter how much "healthier" you think it is. Olodos.
hair doesn't die. It is never a living property to begin with. But there is definitely such thing as "healthy" and "unhealthy hair" and you can tell from looking at it. do you need pics or what? I bet you don't wash your hair since you don't have a reason to keep it "healthy"
talk about Olodo.

yes hair is hair
the pointlessness of hair is what caused the French to place a ban on the use of hijab meant as a hair covering for muslim females. It's so pointless we should all shave it off and ban the use of the word "hair" from the dictionary as a matter of fact.
maybe then you'll be happy and the world will be a better place for you (ms. perm) and me (ms. natural).   smiley
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Nnenna1(f): 5:26am On Nov 30, 2008
Lmao. Hi Mercy! When's the next movie?  Grin

Wow, you must feel clever for typing that. *rolls eyes*

Stop deluding yourself. You're foolish and brattier than the kids I babysit.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 7:13am On Nov 30, 2008
Wes, you use extensions with your braids so you're not actually natural tongue
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by WesleyanA(f): 9:52am On Nov 30, 2008
KarmaMod:

Wes, you use extensions with your braids so you're not actually natural  tongue

sometimes I do. but when I take it off, i'm natural. I currently don't have extensions. haven't had it since last year but will probably get some soon because they're cute  tongue
I don't see extensions as a symbol of self hate but if someone places too much dependency on it/ wear it 24/7, then that's bad.
perms are ok as well but way too many people perm their hair. I wish more women were natural since I don't see natural women very often. but that's just my wishful thinking I guess

ps. I like your braids in your pic.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by uzygirl(f): 11:06am On Nov 30, 2008
WesleyanA:

I wish more women were natural since I don't see natural women very often. but that's just my wishful thinking I guess

Wishful thinking my dear!

If someone wants to turn deeper life by stopping perming and weaves, that's their business.
I like my extensions and the brothers like my looks too, ain't chasing them nowhere.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by tharma(f): 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2008
The texture of our hair (black women) is the same as our men. I just want the men to imagine how can they afford to keep long, thick and bushy hairs. Large percentage of black men barb their hair. Some go to saloon every week. When the hairs are long it is difficult to comb them, and keep them clean. I have tried that once. To be like my brother, keep my hair natural, just wash it, and comb it. And I found it wont work. To remain femenine, we have to keep long hairs. To keep long hairs, it must be kept clean and tidy, and it wont work without the perming thing. Unless the men want us to start barbing too. Imagine our babes all the babes with bald heads? Cant they see white men keep long hairs? But our men dont, because of the difficulty of maitaining the hair.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by oladapsy: 6:32pm On Nov 30, 2008
i had my natural hair for two years much as i love the fact that it was fuller and healthier looking I must also admit that it was harder to maintain and style it also took like forever to tame it apart from the fact that my stylist charged me more and was forever complaining how time consuming it was.i do not have weaves too look Caucasian which is why i don,t see the point in bleaching as Caucasians also have weaves and perms but it is a necessity which i found i couldn,t do without once i started work i can spend all morning taming my wild hair for work the only alternative would be to wake up earlier but sue me for loving my beauty sleep

If you must post then do be realistic and truthful
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by KarmaMod(f): 7:38pm On Nov 30, 2008
sometimes I do. but when I take it off, i'm natural. I currently don't have extensions. haven't had it since last year but will probably get some soon because they're cute

self hater tongue

[size=4pt]thanks love[/size]

tharma:

To remain femenine, we have to keep long hairs.

I dont agree.

and I dont see it as a deeper life thing either, uzy.

same way I find it very obnoxious for pro-natural hair to be stalking people on what they should do to their hair eg svannah and fyrasoul, I dont think those who arent fans of the natural look should look down on those who are natural

People should be able to do whatever the hell they wnat with their hair, that's the point
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by UNLEASHED(m): 7:49pm On Nov 30, 2008
@whatever90
Hmm! sorry  sad da*t is wa*t wij hen noemen!
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by Builder: 7:59pm On Nov 30, 2008
s that India.Arie? What happened to her hair? Ha ha ha ha ha
Dat dad a dat da [4x] Dad a ooh

[Verse 1]
Little girl with the press and curl
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
Thirteen I got a relaxer
I was a source of so much laughter
At fifteen when it all broke off
Eighteen and went all natural
February two thousand and two
I went and did
What I had to do
Because it was time to change my life
To become the women that I am inside
Ninety-seven dreadlock all gone
I looked in the mirror
For the first time and saw that HEY,

[Chorus]
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I ma not this skin
I am a soul that lives within

[Talking:]
What'd she do to her hair? I don't know it look crazy
I like it. I might do that.
Umm I wouldn't go that far. I know , ha ha ha ha

[Verse 2]
Good hair means curls and waves
Bad hair means you look like a slave
At the turn of the century
Its time for us to redefine who we be
You can shave it off
Like a South African beauty
Or get in on lock
Like Bob Marley
You can rock it straight
Like Oprah Winfrey
If its not what's on your head
Its what's underneath and say HEY,

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair make me a better person?
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair make me a better friend? Oooh
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair determine my integrity?
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
I am expressing my creativity,
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)

[Verse 3]
Breast Cancer and Chemotherapy
Took away her crown and glory
She promised God if she was to survive
She would enjoy everyday of her life ooh
On national television
Her diamond eyes are sparkling
Bald headed like a full moon shining
Singing out to the whole wide world like HEY,

[Chorus 2x]

[Ad lib]
If I wanna shave it close
Or if I wanna rock locks
That don't take a bit away
From the soul that I got
Dat da da dat da [4x]
If I wanna where it braided
All down my back
I don't see what wrong with that
Dat da da dat da [4x]

[Talking:]
Is that India.Arie?
Ooh look she cut her hair!
I like that, its kinda PHAT
I don't know if I could do it.
But it looks sharp, it looks nice on her
She got a nice shaped head
She got an apple head
I know right?
It's perfect.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 11:47pm On Nov 30, 2008
WesleyanA:

Your "people who keep their hair natural are stupid and insecure" theory is very funny. I bet you're the kind that will perm and weave your child's hair right after the baby pops out of your stomach (yeah it's not uncommon to see less than 1 year old babies with perm to show how stupid some mothers are) since the word "natural" hurts your guts.
and I know we all do stupid things sometimes. smiley It's ok

hair doesn't die. It is never a living property to begin with. But there is definitely such thing as "healthy" and "unhealthy hair" and you can tell from looking at it. do you need pics or what? I bet you don't wash your hair since you don't have a reason to keep it "healthy"
talk about Olodo.

Haha!!!!! Thank you for telling it.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by savanaha: 11:51pm On Nov 30, 2008
oladapsy:

i had my natural hair for two years much as i love the fact that it was fuller and healthier looking I must also admit that it was harder to maintain and style it also took like forever to tame it apart from the fact that my stylist charged me more and was forever complaining how time consuming it was.i do not have weaves too look Caucasian which is why i don,t see the point in bleaching as Caucasians also have weaves and perms but it is a necessity which i found i couldn,t do without once i started work i can spend all morning taming my wild hair for work the only alternative would be to wake up earlier but sue me for loving my beauty sleep

Oxygen is a necessity so is food and water. Wearing weave is never and will never be a necessity. You did not wear weave as a child therefore I doubt you absolutly need it.
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by maryray(f): 2:34am On Dec 01, 2008
Actually both r great. Some people with naturally beautiful Black hair look exceptionally beautiful with it; those with ok hair use weave ons, NO BIG DEAL. Yes if u have natural hair it is more beautiful than some weave ons, but some weave ons also enhances ones looks, n can promote a girl from just OK to really Attractive.

Now white people tan their skin, does that mean they hate their skin n want to be COLORED (BROWN OR BLACK)?.

Honey if u ppl have no other job options, call me, i'll get ya one!
[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Wigs, Weaves And Perms Symbolize Self Hate by okunoba(m): 3:26am On Dec 01, 2008
from oyinye,
"Like I give a damn about those stupid people who go natural. These are the same idiots who are so insecure with their identity that they feel they need to somehow "prove" to people that they are "Black" or "African"
Self haters are also people who feel so insecure about their decision that they try and impose their views upon another. Just so that they have another idiot to some how back they lame ass up cause they too stupid to stick up for themselves"

Dear Oyinye,
we are meant to debate and make points that can trigger reason, no need to  insult and abuse. We can disagree on issues that is normal but we don`t have to insult people because they have a different opinion. If one had a good solid point to make there will be no need for the abuse.

U mean to tell us that the majority of black people that don`t  bleach their skin to be lighter and accept their natural skin color are insecure for doing so, they are trying to prove they are black by your reasoning. If we follow ur logic then we most all do artificial things to our physical being, like Micheal jackson, Pamela Anderson etc, to be considered a secured person.  Insecurity stems from not being confortable with your being, so u try and change or disguise that part of u. But on the contrary, does that keep it real are confortable with their natural hair hence they see no reason to disguise or change it.  
No one is imposing their opinion on others, we are all just debating and bringing our points across. If i think bleaching stems from effects of slavery and colonisation which makes us want to look as close as possible like the slave/colonial master, does that make me a self hater, just because we thing natural hair is cooler than permed or fake hair doesn`t make one a self hater. How can u hate yourself when u are advocating being confortable with u. My blackness, my big lips, my long skinny legs, my kinky nappy hair all god given and I am happy and confortable with these physical being, that is what makes me. Again I repeat Lets be civil and refrain from abusive language.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (18) (Reply)

Photos: Am The Most Handsome And Decent Nairalander, Your Take / Cute Ankara Style / What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.