Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,745 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? (9610 Views)

Amechi's AIT Interview On Focus Nigeria Was A Shame! / If Nigeria Was To Divide.... / So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Ndipe(m): 2:53am On Dec 30, 2008
The current state of affairs in Nigeria leaves nothing to be desired in the mindset of progressive Nigerians. Echoes of the civil war, long buried has resurfaced some years back with a website created for the failed 'country' of Biafra. At first, I was against the war, (Not that I was born then), but lately, I have thought about it, and realized that, perhaps, the country would have prospered, and the citizens would have benefitted immensely from the secession. Imagine, just four countries in a country with ample resources at its disposal and perhaps, less than 10 million people to rule over. What a nice change it would have been.

don't you think so?
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 5:20am On Dec 30, 2008
Ndipe,

Everywhere on the web Igbos are resoundingly united in the move for a successful cessation out of Nigeria and the start of a new life as Biafran citizens. If the war was a success Biafra would have penetrated Westward and take over Yorubaland. Biafra would have taken over Hausaland. There would not be a Nigeria and a Biafra, there would be a Biafra with Yorubas and Hausas as minorities and the name Nigeria would have been history.

Unfortunately for Biafra that did not happen. So what's next for Biafra beside accounts of war and agitation for cessation?

1 Like

Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by IGWEUSA(m): 5:23am On Dec 30, 2008
@ poster

That could have been the greatest thing that happened in the world grin

Most importantly, itwould have given the muslims more opportunity to  butcher themselves whenever they do the JIHADIST/SHARIA  thing.

Long live Biafra !
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by H2O2: 5:23am On Dec 30, 2008
Is division still a viable option?
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by IGWEUSA(m): 5:29am On Dec 30, 2008
H2O2:

Is division still a viable option?

@ H202

After more than 30 yrs of the civil war, the current situaton of Nigeria reiterates that DIVISION is the viable option.

1 Like

Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by H2O2: 5:34am On Dec 30, 2008
I don't think you gave my question enough thought embarassed
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by IGWEUSA(m): 5:45am On Dec 30, 2008
H2O2:

I don't think you gave my question enough thought embarassed

@ H202
kiss smiley wink
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 6:11am On Dec 30, 2008
There is over ambition in the pursuit for a Biafran Nation.  There are two primary gaps -

(1) a weak ideology base.  Biafra will end up with majority/minority power sharing to effectively manage national citizenry under Biafra;

(2) an unresolved antagonism with North. Igbos continue to wait for Hausas to hit them first before responding. This has been the patter as far back as 1960, well before the war, and it continues as recently as few months ago in Jos.

In retrospect, I believe Igbos lost the war because in their over ambition they underestimated the West and made incursions into territories under the Western Region.  Akintola was impulsive in his unilateral idea that he could support the North against Awolowo's suggestion to remain neutral.  Awo's loyalists unleashed terror on Akintola and eliminated him quick.  Ahmadu Bello had discussed the possibilities of attacking the West and the lessons of Akintola served to restrain him.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by dayokanu(m): 6:33am On Dec 30, 2008
In retrospect, I believe Igbos lost the war because in their over ambition they underestimated the West and made incursions into territories under the Western Region.  Akintola was impulsive in his unilateral idea that he could support the North against Awolowo's suggestion to remain neutral.  Awo's loyalists unleashed terror on Akintola and eliminated him quick.  Ahmadu Bello had discussed the possibilities of attacking the West and the lessons of Akintola served to restrain

I have not heard this story before. Maybe you can shed light. Because The civil war happened way after Akintola, AHmadu Bello, Okotie-Eboh and Tafawa Balewa were murdered by Igbo soldiers.

So when did the call by Awolowo to be neutral come in ?

@Topic,
If the civil war has sucedded, I dont think things would be any better. We would have everybody under the Igbo rule because Biafra annexed all South South communities, agressed the west and were on the way to Lagos. If biafra has suceeded, all the problems would still be though with Igbos as the oppressor
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by birdman(m): 9:53am On Dec 30, 2008
I can understand the OPs view point. It is obvious Yar Adua and the northern oligarchy are not taking other nNigerians serious, and think its business as usual. The current prez is a huge dissapointment.

Unfortunately, unwinding what the british did several decades ago is nowhere as straightforward as you think. There are deep fissures within even Igbo and Yoruba. The only thing keeping them under is the common threat of northern dominance (the same way the Abacha, IBB threats kept a yoruba/igbo discord at bay).

I have zero faith in the current generation ruling Nigeria, regardless of tribe. These guys are hopeless, greedy buffoons (and I'm trying to be civil). The best bet we have is to chase these guys out as they die off. Why? Splitting in the 21st century is self-suicide. Europe has realized it can only have leverage as a union. Same with the BRIC countries, even Russia. If we start splitting up now, our plunder will make the earlier one by Europeans look like child's play.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Naijex: 10:19am On Dec 30, 2008
Even if them divide Nigerian into four. One day some crazy biafrans will say they want to breakaway.

Guys, breaking Nigeria is not the solution.

I think the biafrans felt left out, no president from the region in recent time.

I will say instead of campaigning for division in this era. They need to come together and nominate a good candidate for the next election, someone with a good track record to move this sick nation to her full potentials.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 11:15am On Dec 30, 2008
@Naijex
So after the west brought Olisiego Obulusonjo and the north with Yaradull the igbos should now bring out a credible candidate to clean these people's mess right?NONSENSE.I say igbos should bring Orji Uzor Kalu no Igbos should bring Andy Uba to complete the cycle of madness.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by sage(m): 12:04pm On Dec 30, 2008
@ asha

funny name 4 OBJ  grin cheesy but very fitting shocked IMO
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by AbuMaryam1(m): 12:22pm On Dec 30, 2008
Thank God the didnt succeed, we (North) could ve ended in sending peace mission troops to the Biafra. He he he he he.
See my words are of wisdom. Igbo man can never stay in his life without trouble.
Igbo people dont want peace withn themselves they are not organise, they're jeolous of themselves. Could u imagine if u ask them to bring a candidate they can not.
Tell me what will happen had in been they succeed. Bloodshed.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by IGWEUSA(m): 12:52pm On Dec 30, 2008
asha 80:

@Naijex
So after the west brought Olisiego Obulusonjo and the north with Yaradull the igbos should now bring out a credible candidate to clean these people's mess right?NONSENSE.I say igbos should bring Orji Uzor Kalu no Igbos should bring Andy Uba to complete the cycle of madness.

Andy uba and his brothers are OBJ sons, they cant even get one vote from the ibos
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 3:25pm On Dec 30, 2008
I have not heard this story before. Maybe you can shed light. Because The civil war happened way after Akintola, AHmadu Bello, Okotie-Eboh and Tafawa Balewa were murdered by Igbo soldiers.

The quest for Biafra did not start in 1960. It started well before Independence and the tensions only grew stronger as the years went by. Many of you Igbos when discussing Biafra stay focused on the 3year period. The war started before 1967. Militarily the war ended but politically you are still at war. The Hausas have not stopped to harass and kill your people. Your grievances for going to war has not been resolved, it continues and I believe this is why the Igbos are bitter and more agitated.

This is why I said earlier that there is ideological gap. All discussions on Biafra is about war and oil. I will like to know about Biafra and its people in terms of human values and cultural richness. War is not all you are, there are other more magnanimous values to you and your people; share those. Win sympathies and support by putting a human face in your quest for independence. This is best done by marketing your culture and your historical traditions. You have spent 30years calling for war, your call has lost audience and people want to see the peaceful and human side of the Igbos. Nigerians of other tribes have no trust in your leadership. Its not that you are feared, your vulnerabilities are openly discernible, but when people think of Igbo the image of war is what immediately comes to mind. Only you can change that image and the perception.

If there is a military conflict today you will loose the war again. You are not prepared for it ideologically or materially, so focus on developing a cohesive ideology first. Claims that you are a lost tribe of the Jews or that your light complexion come from Ethiopia and that's why you are industrious are all vanities. Focus on Igbo people and culture and tell your own story with sweetness and flavor and richness. Ondo people are light complexioned, Ijebus are very industrious, Ile Ife has a spiritual obelisk that reminds of Axum and Egptian ancestral past but when Yorubas talk of their Nation the culture and the deities and the art and other historical traditions are projected strongly and forcefully and even exported on the international scene. It will be beautiful to see Igbos in similar light, amplify and herald the values of an Igbo indigene.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2008
My God, see grammar.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by maxsiollun: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2008
If secession had succeeded, it would have benefited the Eastern Region alone and impoverished the Northern Region as they would not have had access to oil revenue.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Ibime(m): 5:12pm On Dec 30, 2008
dayokanu:

Hehehehe. . . . Dayo, you done catch am. . . . .upon all the big grammar him blow, he forgot to get the basics right. .

Negro, I am not satisfied with your riposte. . . . as far as I am aware, there was no push for Biafra before the pogroms. . . . infact, the Igbo were most enthusiastic about the new Nigeria; some fringe elements notwithstanding; as they believed they had all the tools in place to dominate the political and economic landscape. . . . it was the Hausa's who didn't want independence and asked the British to stay a bit longer. . . . infact, Awolowo and Akintola's legacy is built on their ability to carve out a strong identity for the Yoruba within Nigeria - as all and sundry feared that the Igbo would dominate the whole shabang.

If Igbo's won the civil war?. . . . . nothing will be different. . . . Africa na Africa. . . . infact, it could be argued that the Igbo's are more corrupt than most. . . . . the only difference is that instead of fighting Nigeria, MEND would be fighting Biafra.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Dec 30, 2008
IGWE_USA:

Andy uba and his brothers are OBJ sons, they can't even get one vote from the ibos

Aren't they "Biafrans"? lol
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by JJYOU: 5:19pm On Dec 30, 2008
Nigerians would  have been queueing for visa to go like they do for malaysia and even Hungary
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 5:27pm On Dec 30, 2008
Nigerians would have been queueing for visa to go like they do for malaysia and even Hungary

As if nigerians are not running away from nigeria by any means possible even to places like ghana
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Muza(m): 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2008
@ poster,
If only wishes were horses,even u will ride grin
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by olabowale(m): 6:53pm On Dec 30, 2008
Post 1970 Children in their infant babbles of maamaa daadaa! Ndipe, Kudo to you for at least saying there you weren't born then.

The people who participated in the war, will not be talking foolishness as much as the "kindergarten" babies we see litter this thread.

As much as I disagree with the conditions of Nigeria, as we speak, do the "proponents of Biafra" think that the Delta and other people in the greater Eastern Part of Nigeria, who do not consider themselves as Igbo of any kind, will bow to any barking orders from Enugu or which ever city is made the national capital?

If Nigeria as a nation can not "crush" the will of the Delta's Ogoja people, where the "Oil" is gotten, will Biafra crush them so quickly? I have news for you, don't think that the Ibiobios, the Efik, the Ogojas, the Ijaws, and other minorities will not seek seccession, in the same exact way and the time Biafra is seeking her own Independence. No people want to remain under a breakaway people, without wanting to be "independent", too.

The breakaway Biafra will be broken into smaller pieces, with many newer countries. Pakistan and Bangladesh are good examples, in the end after the old Pakistan broke away from the old mother India. The north may not remain as a unit, if the dream of Biafrans becomes a reality. The Hausa, and Gambari may not be able to stand each other. So could be the other smaller tribes wanting out from under Hausa!

I would not count on a Biafran state, coming out of Nigeria. Igbo people are not truly under oppression, if you consider the condition of the Ogojas. Afterall, the Oil is from their land.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 6:59pm On Dec 30, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post 1970 Children in their infant babbles of maamaa daadaa! Ndipe, Kudo to you for at least saying there you weren't born then.

The people who participated in the war, will not be talking foolishness as much as the "kindergarten" babies we see litter this thread.

As much as I disagree with the conditions of Nigeria, as we speak, do the "proponents of Biafra" think that the Delta and other people in the greater Eastern Part of Nigeria, who do not consider themselves as Igbo of any kind, will bow to any barking orders from Enugu or which ever city is made the national capital?

If Nigeria as a nation can not "crush" the will of the Delta's Ogoja people, where the "Oil" is gotten, will Biafra crush them so quickly? I have news for you, don't think that the Ibiobios, the Efik, the Ogojas, the Ijaws, and other minorities will not seek seccession, in the same exact way and the time Biafra is seeking her own Independence. No people want to remain under a breakaway people, without wanting to be "independent", too.

The breakaway Biafra will be broken into smaller pieces, with many newer countries. Pakistan and Bangladesh are good examples, in the end after the old Pakistan broke away from the old mother India. The north may not remain as a unit, if the dream of Biafrans becomes a reality. The Hausa, and Gambari may not be able to stand each other. So could be the other smaller tribes wanting out from under Hausa!

I would not count on a Biafran state, coming out of Nigeria. Igbo people are not truly under oppression, if you consider the condition of the Ogojas. Afterall, the Oil is from their land.

This is the first time i am hearing the bolded part.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2008
Hehehehe. . . . Dayo, you done catch am. . . . .upon all the big grammar him blow, he forgot to get the basics right. .

Negro, I am not satisfied with your riposte. . . . as far as I am aware, there was no push for Biafra before the pogroms. . . . infact, the Igbo were most enthusiastic about the new Nigeria; some fringe elements notwithstanding; as they believed they had all the tools in place to dominate the political and economic landscape. . . . it was the Hausa's who didn't want independence and asked the British to stay a bit longer. . . . infact, Awolowo and Akintola's legacy is built on their ability to carve out a strong identity for the Yoruba within Nigeria - as all and sundry feared that the Igbo would dominate the whole shabang.

Ibime,

The Hausas have continued to beat, maim and kill your people for over 30yrs. That is a serious shyit! That is a big problem and one that no ethnic group should endure. That gives me more concern than whether a response online is correct or wrong and I believe you should feel the same way. You are Igbo, I am not. I could care less what you and Hausa do to one another but there is a humanity aspect to it and this is what is bothersome to those of us non-Igbos. You lack perspective on your ethnic history and background. Everytime you talk about who you are as Igbo it's all circled around Biafra. You shout war, war but you can't fucking free your poeple from the clutches of Northern terror. Year after year, they go on rampage and chase you off the land, they subject you third class citizen treatment in your own country; but none of this weighs heavily on your mind, you are more watchful and concerned about the correctness of Negro's response. Well, I will give it to you.

Are you aware that Awolowo was falsely accused, tried and imprisoned for treason? Are you aware that Akintola was elected as Premier in a rigged election? Are you aware that this was the beginning of "wet e", where political opponents began to soak targeted individuals with petrol and setting them ablaze? Are you aware that all these were this was 1964 and not 1966?

Are you aware that Akintola was assassinated under the leadership of an Igbo man, Capt Nwobosi? Why was Akintola killed but Awolowo was spared? Why was Ahmadu Bello killed but Okpara was spared? Why was Nzeogwu, Ironsi, Okafor killed but Gowon was spared?

The war started in 67. The coup took place in 66. In 64 there had been political tensions threatening to divide the four year old country. In 60 the West and East were passionately angered and towards British for rewarding the North with more seats at Parliament. So you still believe the problems started in 66 when Biafra declared war? You need to think again. You need to get your history right and stop depending on white man to use google to define who you are. Go to your elders and get the story right. The problems started before Independence, the talks of division did not start in 66.

You may not know what your history in the East look like before 66 but I am from West and I know what my history is and I can tell it accurately. I come from a people that win wars. We put strategy and forbearance into planning wars. We don't wake up one day and decide we want to fight war. Most important, we don't let no stupid fuckers beat, maim and kill our people year after year for over 30yrs and not do something concrete to send a message of memorable impact to the opponent.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 11:30pm On Dec 30, 2008
@Negro_Nts

Errhm i think ibime is actually ijaw ad not igbo undecided
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 11:40pm On Dec 30, 2008
Well, the Igbos are fighting Biafra on his behalf, afterall he is included in the region they are carving into Biafra. So should he not be concerned about the well being of the Igbos instead of worrying himself about my response?
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 11:49pm On Dec 30, 2008
I do not think ijaw people want anything to do with biafra.they are more interested with mend.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 12:03am On Dec 31, 2008
There is no way, . . well, let me start all over.

Nigeria is not independent. Our ideologies and philosophies are tied to the success and advancement of Europeans and Americans, and lately China and other minor Asian countries. These people dictate the direction, up or down, of our economy. There is no way Britain or USA will give us the freedom of choice or control in our energy policy. If you carve Nigeria into different tribal groups, when it comes to which group will have the oil wells and the delta area, Europeans will darn make sure that at least three sub ethnic groups end up with it. They will then take the least educated and enlightened of the sub group and make him head and leader over the whole region. So the thought of MEND ending up with sole autonomy over Delta or oil deposits should be dismissed - it will not happen. They are destined to end up as minorities in an Igbo region. The Igbos will be wise to have a majority/minority power sharing structure that de-escalates tensions and encounters.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 31, 2008
Negro
who is killing who?u sound baseless and biased embarassed
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by NegroNtns(m): 12:17am On Dec 31, 2008
No, I am not biased. I do see things that bother my soul on both sides, the Hausas and the Igbos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Confirms Dialogue With Boko-Haram / 2015: South-south Will Disown Jonathan If He Doesn’t Run / Imo Traditional Rulers Host Tony Nwulu, Bless Governorship Bid (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.