Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? (9622 Views)

Amechi's AIT Interview On Focus Nigeria Was A Shame! / If Nigeria Was To Divide.... / So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2008
Dede

Cool down now, the young ma said confidence not arrogance.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Muza(m): 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2008
Thread = wishful thinking = pipe dream = rubbish grin
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Ibime(m): 2:41pm On Dec 31, 2008
Dede1:

Please grow up and be sensible for a while. If having supreme confidence or any form of confidence is sin than I am a sinner as well as Ndigbo. I was born and raised in Asa, Abia State. If you have decided to claim Ijo due to the materialistic benefits, please keep to your self. Biafra hardly had capital to purchase weapon talk less of embezzlement. Have you ever tried to research about the people behind the procuring ammunition for Biafra? If Ndigbo are head and shoulder above others in the act embezzling money in Nigeria where would your dumb head rank the Yoruba, Edo, Ijo, Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri, Nupe etc that have continuously ran Nigeria to mud?

May God almight give your famliy the gift of lacking of confidence.

My friend, calm down dia. If you truly are from Asa, that means we are brothers.

I am a known Igbo supporter on this site. I am just looking for trouble, thats all. Just because I question Biafra success, does not mean I do not support Biafra. I fully wish I was living in Biafra instead of Naija. However, my point still stands about Igbo value systems - where wealth alone is used to judge a man's worth. And I stand by my statements about the embezzlement of Biafran funds by Ojukwu and all the other contractors who chopped money.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Dede1(m): 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2008
Xavier.:

What's stopping them from making the present day Enugu, the beacon of industralisation in Nigeria?

What is wrong with this drooling nitwit? Baring the Federal money poured into Lagos or Abuja, the cities could not be compared to Aba or Onitsha or Nnewi in terms of industrial in fractures. Your sorry dumb brain should be reminded that efforts of industrialization in Igboland were exclusively private. In any human endeavor in the jungle called Nigeria, only Aba or Onitsha could be mentioned in the same breathe with Lagos. If the Federal would built an international airport the size MMA or NAA in Aba or Onitsha, Lagos would become a mere reference object.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 31, 2008
Dede

Do u have to be so abusive. Gragra no de solve anything, thought the civil war would have taught u that.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Dede1(m): 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2008
Ibime:

My friend, calm down dia. If you truly are from Asa, that means we are brothers.

I am a known Igbo supporter on this site. I am just looking for trouble, thats all. Just because I question Biafra success, does not mean I do not support Biafra. I fully wish I was living in Biafra instead of Naija. However, my point still stands about Igbo value systems - where wealth alone is used to judge a man's worth. And I stand by my statements about the embezzlement of Biafran funds by Ojukwu and all the other contractors who chopped money.

Here you go again. Throughout the length and width of the jungle called Nigeria I have not noticed a place where poverty alone is used to judge a man’s worth. I would like you to shed more light on the word “wealth”. In Igboland, knowledge is wealth. Maybe in Ijoland, poverty and dumbness are equal to Ijo value systems. In fact, it shows as Abuja and Lagos looked like places of human inhabitation while creeks along coastal line of Nigeria looked like places for the dead.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Eziachi: 5:56pm On Dec 31, 2008
Naijex:

Even if them divide Nigerian into four. One day some crazy biafrans will say they want to breakaway.

Guys, breaking Nigeria is not the solution.

I think the biafrans felt left out, no president from the region in recent time.

I will say instead of campaigning for division in this era. They need to come together and nominate a good candidate for the next election, someone with a good track record to move this sick nation to her full potentials.

Those who still think that Nigeria will move an inch by still existing as one single nation are leaving in fool's paradise. Have you read the Sun today and heard a former senator telling it as it is, that Nigerians had been patching up things for fifty years and pretending to be one nation but they are fundamentally different, hence no peace. Your advice is for Biafra’s to field one candidate. Even if they fielded half candidate, you as a person will still vote for your tribe’s man and that it the way it is in Nigeria.

No sane person will expect Germany, Italy, Britain and France to be fused together as one country and expect what is happening today with Nigeria not to happen to them despite any system. Nigeria will never work as single nation. It has nothing to do with Biafra’s, just that they saw it long time ago while others are still waiting for a miracle year after year and thing gets worse instead of better. If Biafra’s had succeeded, they would had been far better than they are today inside Nigeria. The rest of what remains of Nigeria would have fared better because they will compete hand in hand with Biafra, if not for a anything but just to prove a point
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by bawomolo(m): 6:22pm On Dec 31, 2008
Intra ethnic rivalries existed in Biafra during the civil war.  The idea that disintegration would solve Nigeria's problem is just a fantasy

No sane person will expect Germany, Italy, Britain and France

modern day Germany and Italy were created through the merging of republics, ever heard of prussia?
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Ibime(m): 6:27pm On Dec 31, 2008
bawomolo:
The idea that disintegration would solve Nigeria's problem is just a fantasy

Not exactly. . . . first we need to get rid of a certain ideology from this mix. . . Islam . . . and then we can move forward in the same mindframe.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by tpia: 6:28pm On Dec 31, 2008
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Ibime(m): 6:33pm On Dec 31, 2008
Asari na muslim for where?. . . . all that na facade. . . he only claimed such so as to receive free training in their camps. . . . his popsie is a well known Judge in Rivers State. . . . who dash am moslem?. . . . even if na muslim, at least him dey reason clearly, not too much gra gra like the rest of him brothers.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by bawomolo(m): 6:34pm On Dec 31, 2008
Ibime:

Not exactly. . . . first we need to get rid of a certain ideology from this mix. . . Islam . . . and then we can move forward in the same mindframe.

hey am on board if we want to get rid of religion grin
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by tpia: 6:47pm On Dec 31, 2008
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Ibime(m): 7:23pm On Dec 31, 2008
Alhaji MKO Abiola is still my man any day of the week. cheesy
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by tpia: 7:26pm On Dec 31, 2008
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Naijex: 7:49pm On Dec 31, 2008
Eziachi:

Those who still think that Nigeria will move an inch by still existing as one single nation are leaving in fool's paradise. Have you read the Sun today and heard a former senator telling it as it is, that Nigerians had been patching up things for fifty years and pretending to be one nation but they are fundamentally different, hence no peace. Your advice is for Biafra’s to field one candidate. Even if they fielded half candidate, you as a person will still vote for your tribe’s man and that it the way it is in Nigeria.

No sane person will expect Germany, Italy, Britain and France to be fused together as one country and expect what is happening today with Nigeria not to happen to them despite any system. Nigeria will never work as single nation. It has nothing to do with Biafra’s, just that they saw it long time ago while others are still waiting for a miracle year after year and thing gets worse instead of better. If Biafra’s had succeeded, they would had been far better than they are today inside Nigeria. The rest of what remains of Nigeria would have fared better because they will compete hand in hand with Biafra, if not for a anything but just to prove a point

Look my brother, remember June 12 election when everybody voted for Abiola-Kingibe which was Moslem-Moslem ticket of the time. Just because Nigerians have the hope in them, we voted for them but was annull by IBB. Tofa did not even win his L.G. So rule out that any average Nigeria will not vote for Ibo president. Just provide a good candidate that the people want.

I'm saying again this is an opportunity to take the fight to the polls.

And on Europe issue. Please make inquires on what is called the European union.

Arise Oh Compatriots.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2008
@naijex

EU is a made up of europian countries that decided to come together to form a big economic block out their own volution.They where NOT FORCED together.Mind you UK and NORWAY are not in EU because their citizens are not yet interested in it.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Naijex: 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2008
Didn't they come together at last. That's the point.

Because UK didn't change her currency to Euro didn't say she is not a EU member.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by asha80(m): 10:51pm On Dec 31, 2008
Didn't they come together at last. That's the point.

Because UK didn't change her currency to Euro didn't say she is not a EU member

Again they came together out of their OWN VOLUTION.Did the various people that make up nigeria come together to decide if they should stay together?Bringing EU in this argument falls flat on its face because any country within the EU can hold a referendum to pull out.Can any group in nigeria hold a referendum to pull out of nigeria?

As you said Uk did not change her currency.Is that not on their own terms?I hope you know also that switzerland is not also in EU.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Naijex: 11:47pm On Dec 31, 2008
I beg no even complicate issue. I'm not comparing Nigeria with EU per-say. I 'm just trying to point to you that we need each other no matter what background, tribe, religion etc.

Remember when the colonial master gave us independence, the nationalist were all happy that we got rid of colonialism. Nigeria was not amalgamated by Nigerians. We are destined to be together, Not even a civil war in the past or in the future will separate us. Maybe, if a call for national conference which may not be entertain by the majority. So, how will division work?

Why can't we use our strength on unity? And make sure our leader are accountable to the people.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:53pm On Dec 31, 2008
Negro_Ntns:
Ibime,

The Hausas have continued to beat, maim and kill your people for over 30yrs.  That is a serious shyit!  That is a big problem and one that no ethnic group should endure.  That gives me more concern than whether a response online is correct or wrong and I believe you should feel the same way.  You are Igbo, I am not.  I could care less what you and Hausa do to one another but there is a humanity aspect to it and this is what is bothersome to those of us non-Igbos.  You lack perspective on your ethnic history and background.  Everytime you talk about who you are as Igbo it's all circled around Biafra.  You shout war, war but you can't fucking free your poeple from the clutches of Northern terror.  Year after year, they go on rampage and chase you off the land, they subject you third class citizen treatment in your own country; but none of this weighs heavily on your mind, you are more watchful and concerned about the correctness of Negro's response.  Well, I will give it to you.

Are you aware that Awolowo was falsely accused, tried and imprisoned for treason?   Are you aware that Akintola was elected as Premier in a rigged election?  Are you aware that this was the beginning of "wet e", where political opponents began to soak targeted individuals with petrol and setting them ablaze?  Are you aware that all these were  this was 1964 and not 1966?

Are you aware that Akintola was assassinated under the leadership of an Igbo man, Capt Nwobosi?  Why was Akintola killed but Awolowo was spared?  Why was Ahmadu Bello killed but Okpara was spared?  Why was Nzeogwu, Ironsi, Okafor killed but Gowon was spared?

The war started in 67.  The coup took place in 66.  In 64 there had been political tensions threatening to divide the four year old country.  In 60 the West and East were passionately angered and towards British for rewarding the North with more seats at Parliament.  So you still believe the problems started in 66 when Biafra declared war?  You need to think again.  You need to get your history right and stop depending on white man to use google to define who you are.  Go to your elders and get the story right.  The problems started before Independence, the talks of division did not start in 66.

You may not know what your history in the East look like before 66 but I am from West and I know what my history is and I can tell it accurately.  I come from a people that win wars.  We put strategy and forbearance into planning wars.  We don't wake up one day and decide we want to fight war.  Most important, we don't let no stupid fuckers beat, maim and kill our people year after year for over 30yrs and not do something concrete to send a message of memorable impact to the opponent.

This may be one of the most hate-filled posts I've read on Nairaland!

So, is this slowpoke insinuating that Yorubas have not been killed by the marauding murderers of Hausa/Fulani extraction? Even the recent riots in Jos claimed the life of many Yorubas!

This shameful mindset of viewing the killing of innocent people with glee will surely bring an end to humanity!
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:57pm On Dec 31, 2008
Ibime,

You can trace your roots to Abia? Hmm. That means we are brothers. Nwanne, kedu?

On the point you raise about "chopping money", I think it's more an individual trait than an ethnic characteristic. There are corrupt Igbos, Hausas, Yorubas, Binis, Ijaws, Efiks, etc.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by 4Play(m): 12:00am On Jan 01, 2009
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, and I did not speak up because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak up because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the trade-unionists, and I did not speak up because I was not a trade-unionist. Then they came for the Protestants, and I did not speak up because I was a Catholic. Then they came for me, and by that time, there was nobody left to speak up."

--Martin Niemoeller
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Abagworo(m): 12:19am On Jan 01, 2009
the groups that really need the biafra are igbos in south east and delta state as well as ibibios in akwaibom.the rest of the south south are not part of it.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Abagworo(m): 12:20am On Jan 01, 2009
the groups that really need the biafra are igbos in south east and delta state as well as ibibios,ikom,ogoja in akwaibom and crossriver.the rest of the south south are not part of it.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by udezue(m): 12:21am On Jan 01, 2009
Naijex,

lol nna man i bu kwa a very nonsense ingredient. Anyways no I was not born during Biafra. My sister was and my brothers were born like 1 and the 2 years after Biafra. My brother at a very young age used to write to Nigerian Newspapers asking why they treated Easterners the way they did. I never knew all that until he noticed my passion for Eastern people and Biafra issues in years back in Highschool. Any average Igbo man who have researched this issue and see what is going on now will feel very disgusted about sharing an entity with Nigerians. Those leaders who committed those atrocities are still alive getting promoted and u tell me I should honor them. Tufia!!! I used to sing that National anthem and Pledge but I mentally blocked that shit off since Highschool and can't remember it anymore. I don't blame a young Igbo boy in Abia back in 2002 that refused to sing the national anthem at his school and when they threatened to take away his scholarship he still refused (basically telling them to mess OFF!!). We are not asking for war. MASSOB is not asking for war but any sane Igbo, or Easterner knows Nigerians are barbaric and will as usual want to taste blood so we aint naive. Just know this is 2009 not 1960s when Nigerians took em by surprise with their ferocious thirst to kill and the younger generation are not as patient. Why u think Igbos now fight back in the North when attacked? Before they simply ran back to the East and nothing will happen in the East. Even Efik/Ibibios no dey tolerate the nonsense anymore. U remember how they lashed out at Hausa ppl some yrs ago after their usual attacks against Easterners in the North. The only thing holding many back are the older generation who went through that trauma and will not want it again. But I do believe in non violence until you are pushed to ur limit and I think any Biafran should prepare himself for that kind of eventuality.

You say get an Igbo man like as if you hateful Nigerians will vote for him. Please quit the nonsense because we all know damn well that even if Obama was Igbo you will still vote for Sani Abacha just because Obama is Igbo and ur fear and hatred of Igbos is so much that you can't use ur common sense so quit telling Igbos to give you anyone when u know damn well u won't vote for him.

Even the non Igbos in the East won't get the chance at all unless they can beg for VP position that is nothing. How come una no elect Jonathan Ebele Goodluck as President? They just give am VP like they gave Ekwueme and Ebitu Ukiwe who actually was not corrupt and left the post coz he wouldn't cooperate with corrupt IBB. Ukiwe ran in 2007 but you ppl still did not vote for him even though he got a better track record than the rest and would not let political gains corrupt him. Ekwueme ran and still didn't get it even though he helped set up PDP. The fact is that whether an Igbo / Easterner is a devil or not you will still not want him. Even the bonafide Igbo haters from the East like Edwin Clark haven't been able to gain any political prominence except on local levels. lol. *reason why I laugh at Ijaw / Urhobo / Isoko ppl who think that by professing their PASSIONATE HATRED TOWARDS IGBOS they will be rewarded. LOL U ppl are still being relegated to state politics and Niger Delta militancy. NA THE SAME BASKET WE DEY BUT UNA DEY MAKE UR SITUATION WORSE COZ U SABI SELL UR LAND AND UR BIRTHRIGHT. SEE HOW HATRED AND SUSPICION CAN MESS UP PPL'S SENSES.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Dede1(m): 12:27am On Jan 01, 2009
@bawomolo

Please get a grip on your intellectual stupor. Could you provide one example of such intra ethnic rivalry in Biafra? It is very refreshing to notice that your wild imagination still blinded you to the assumption that Biafra was all Igbo affair.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by udezue(m): 12:50am On Jan 01, 2009
lmao @ bawolomo

people like him dey hallucinate. Efiks and Igbos were killing each other in Calabar. Effiong simply chased Ojukwu out of Biafra and oppressed Igbo people in Biafra. 2000 Ijo men were slaughtered in Odi by Igbo militants. Ibibios turned to cannibalism and started eating Oron people. Annangs did not like Effiong. Biafra lost the war because Igbos would not listen to Philip Effiong because he is Ibibio. Frank Opugo vowed to kill all Igbos in Ijo land. Igbos in return slaughtered Ijo people in PH and starved the ones in Aba to death. Akpan and Madiebo were seen fighting near a Market at Ikot Ekpene.

Oh yeah Biafra was having its own civil war sef while fighting Nigeria.  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by 4Play(m): 4:26am On Jan 01, 2009
A bit of pedantry here . . . . anyone knows the exact Niemoller quote or if he said it all?

Niemoller wasn't a Catholic so the bit I produced is obviously wrong. I heard this is the one he gave in Congress:

''When Hitler attacked the Jews I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the Catholics, I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the unions and industrialists, I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned. Then, Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church -- and there was nobody left to be concerned''.

http://www.holocaust-history.org/questions/niemoller.shtml

Not as ''poetic'' as the earlier one but just as profound.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by Naijex: 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2009
@Udezue
Even you no get confidence say Ibo, Ibiobio, Ijaw etc fit be Naija president. You guys needs to change that mentality first. Are you not Nigerian.

udezue:

Oh yeah Biafra was having its own civil war sef while fighting Nigeria.  grin grin grin grin grin grin

And in 2009, My guy na this same Biafra your follow.

You have better chance to be president than forming Biafra.

Try build up strategy to get a south-south/south-east person in Aso rock. The place no be for Hausa/Fulanni or Yoruba only. Na for all Nigerians (Minority/majority)

Instead of this Biafra BS. Mobilize for unity among your tribesmen and aspire for Aso rock.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by yarodin: 7:38pm On Jan 01, 2009
Looks like even the common Hausa/Fulani man is tired of Nigeria because even though technically they are in power the wealth is also not trickling down to them. I have said and continue to say that the main problem with Naija is the rich against the poor. I bet if you go ask Andy Uba, Odili, etc they will preach one Naija. But if you go talk to a regular Hausa/Fulani man, he is not happy with Naija. The so called elites are using tribal issues to hold unto power and oppress the people. Look at the people that are killed during the religious riots and counter riots, they are always the suffering or the ones just managing to make ends meet. The way we just come here and attack each other just shows that the Nigerian eilites have succeeded in tightening their hold on power.
Re: What if the civil war in Nigeria was a success? by ASL33: 9:57pm On Jan 01, 2009
Igbos this Igbos that when will this people learn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mega Cities And Super Creeks (pics) / Osun APC Primary: Oyetola’s Men Satisfied, Adeoti’s Loyalists Complain / Pictures As Enugu North Senatorial District PDP Holds Campaign Rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.