Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

New Helmet Rule In Lagos - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Helmet Rule In Lagos (15706 Views)

New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / Share Your Helmet Experiences Here! Whether Good Bad Or Ugly! / Helmet In Lagos: He Disappeared! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by femionasan(m): 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2009
BUY YOUR OWN HELMET OR DONT RIDE OKADA AT ALL. Nobody is forcing you to use the Okada riders helmet. Nigerians hate change. Always grumbling and looking for excuses.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by raybaba2: 11:29pm On Jan 04, 2009
Well i dont think it makes any sense sharing Helmets coz i know some Nigerians will use this as opportunity to use people's glory and star. Pray to get a car instead.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Digiman(m): 11:32pm On Jan 04, 2009
There is one important point everyone seems to have missed here,  helmets are not "one size fits all" so it will be pointless for the OKADA operator to carry an extra one for his or her passangers.

My advice would be for the frequent OKADA passengers to purchase their own. It's hygenic and you have the assurance that it will be a snug fit and protect your  head in the event of  an accident.

Another reason why you don't want to use one provided by the OKADA operator is that you do not know if the helmet is safe to use, it may have been involved in a accident previously in which case  you  cannot vouch for the structural integrity of the helmet. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I have one which I use for track days, it took me almost an hour to find the right one in the shop I visited.

links to some articles:

http://www.wheelsatonce.com/bp365/Motorcycle-accident-Advice-on-choosing-a-helmet.htm

http://www.devittinsurance.com/bikerzone/articles/choosing-a-helmet.html
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 04, 2009
^^^ One of the most sensible responses so far.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by chyk91(m): 11:48pm On Jan 04, 2009
i think that this will work in lagos state, look at the way seat belt worked, already Fashola seems serious about making lagos a mega city, so this is one and i think it will wor
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bigfather(m): 11:53pm On Jan 04, 2009
chyk91:

i think that this will work in lagos state, look at the way seat belt worked, already Fashola seems serious about making lagos a mega city, so this is one and i think it will wor

I pray so !
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 05, 2009
It wont work, God forgive me ,Nigeria is cursed, they start sumtin and cant end it , givin example on the NATIONAL ID CARD project, work ma ass(Nigeria aint gat no swaga )
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by netotse(m): 12:50am On Jan 05, 2009
omo that means no more okada for me o
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bronxdog: 12:52am On Jan 05, 2009
na wa o- i never see where adults discuss so much like babies - just to assure your safety, na im all of una begin quote dictionary like this? How come they said Nigeria is a developing nation? developing nation my foot, a nation where her citizens will have to be thaught to wear seat belts, a nation where the citizens will be begged to respect their safety by wearing crash helmets? developing nation my foot, from responses so far, I think Nigeria should for real belong to the stone age, if it is people like these who live there.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by lawyer(m): 12:56am On Jan 05, 2009
To all those people supporting this Imbecilic law:

No problem, there is no wahala. FRSC is very correct and they are doing the right thing with this helmet law:

But remember, when some sort of health epidermic outbreak starts because one Mallam that spat into his hands and carried that same Helmet That has a mouth visor and passed it to a vulcanizer that has a chronic case of Tuberculosis coughing seriously into that mouth visor and transfers it to a chick who is bleeding through her side lips that probably has the HIV virus and hands that same Helmet to an Eleran (Meat Seller) who is just coming from the abattoir with animal blood on his hands who transfers this same Helmet to a truant school boy who has just come from shitting in the bush nearby and has to climb this same okada to his house and this same Helmet is being transfered to you or a member of your family that is just rushing home from work around 7pm and can't see how dirty the helmet is or the hidden bacterias surrounding the Helmet.

Please when the outbreak starts, don't blame the FRSC O! don't blame the Ministry of Health for not containing the Viruses that will be spreading o! don't blame Federal Government o! When they tell you there is no money to cure these diseases o!

What a way to annihalate a society systematically by bringing the diseases close to their Homes without even injecting you! angry

Meanwhile you guys saying "I will buy my own" hmmm!

Ok make sure you buy like 2 Helmets o! Remember there is a possiblity of the Helmet being stolen or gets misplaced and all your shakara and fad will still lead you one day to wear this Epidermic Helmet someday o! Keep on supporting this thing!

don't complain to your Ogas to increase your health plan benefits o! Because since your more interested in Protecting your Head alone, you should forget about the other effects this Helmets can do to your body system!

And honestly, if you fall very sick , don't expect any sympathy from anyone, because when your well, you have to worry about the next brand of disease that will befall you. In case you have forgotten, let me give you a minor run down of the possible 5 Health catastrophes that might be waiting for you.

1. LapaLapa

2. Ring Worm

3. Ezcema

4. Hiv

5. Tuberculosis

Feel free to add anyone that has skipped my mind!

Airborne Diseases Respects no one especially if you willingly contributed to it!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bronxdog: 1:00am On Jan 05, 2009
^^^^^

What sort of stupid post you have posted?
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 05, 2009
Lawyer, it seems you're not prepared to compromise, even a little bit?

You won't wear the shared helmet (correctly so, I wouldn't either).
You won't buy yours.
You'll rather use a taxi bike with your head exposed.

Why can't change be introduced into Nigeria, especially bearing in mind, most countries have made it mandatory for years to wear helmets, even if you're riding just a push bike?
What's so wrong about your head being protected from breakage?

Sure, not a lot of countries use taxi bikes, but if you feel so strongly about buying your personal head protection, why not just choose not to use a taxi bike? undecided
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bigfather(m): 1:24am On Jan 05, 2009
bronx_dog:

^^^^^

Must you use such words ? HABA !
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by honeric01(m): 1:58am On Jan 05, 2009
Sick SICK sick SICK sick SICK sick SICK people, !!!!!!!!! God, help this country, this is my prayer for 2009
God, please never let any brainless Nigerian wake up again after 3 months if he or she refuses to learn.
God, whoever that always fights against anything Good in Nigeria should win VISA to North Korea where they have to live under dictatorship.
the last prayer : Any family member who is always against his or her brothers and sisters from helping this nation in their little ways, either by obeying the positive laws of this country or buy bringing up lasting solutions to any of the problems facing this country should be forced to have constant loss of his or her tooth every morning until he or she is left with no teeth to talk negative about this country again,
AMEN,
If you support these prayers, say AMEN and don't forget to post your own prayers too, angry angry angry
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tosinaded(m): 2:02am On Jan 05, 2009
big father:

Must you use such words ? HABA !

i agree with the poster, the post is stupid!!!!!!!
are the okada riders meant to provide helmets for u in the first place?
absolute NO
get ur own helmet!!!! carry about!!!!
if u cant, dnt ride on one or better still use the one provided at ur own risk!!!!
how had is that

dumb ass nigerians!!!!!
frsc trying to reduce death and we av illeterates here spewing shit like its a bad step to take!!!!!!
i was in rwanda late last year, all okada riders had there helmets on!!!!
passengers had their's also, sum carried theirs along with them and used it when they needed it!!! those who didnt have used the ones provided by the bike guys!!!!!

why must nigeria always be different?
we complain nigeria aint progressing and yet any small move from the norm to achieve positive results that will benefit our use is condemned!!!!!

p.s : i av a problem here, cos i feel the same frsc should av provided helmets for this guys to buy, cos i see so many rubbish this guys put on, all in the name of helmets!!!!!! what we need are crash helmets and not wut the engineers use!!!!!!!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by SethCohen1: 2:24am On Jan 05, 2009
bronx_dog:

^^^^^

@bronx dog

Your name says it all! Your a dog from the bronx! If you had any criticism of his post, you were free to slam it not insult him personally

Before this new rule, Okada business has been in existence for almost 15 years or so in Nigeria and the number of head injuries are not as alarming as they propaganda team of the FRSC is trying to propagate. Most Bike accidents affect the legs, shin and arms of okada riders. I am suprised your not advocating that the complete Bike regalia should be introduced such as the shin guards, elbow guards and other ancillary things too? There is nothing like a lesser evil. What is evil is evil pure and simple.

Protecting the head to expose man kind to devasting diseases shouldnt even be an option in any society no matter what. I saw in your post that if i am not ready to enter a bike, then i should take a cab. Well i have no problem with that only that since air borne diseases spread without any form of discrimination, then it doesnt matter what mode of transportation i use. A family member of yours who is extremely neat might be unfortunate to come in contact with someone who has encountered one of these diseases and that person comes in contact with you despite the fact that you don't even use an okada. Won't the effect be as devastating as the original carrier?

The helmet issues is beyond just wearing helmets. Everybody knows that safety is paramount in every society but sharing a commodity that acts as a carrier of diseases is something the society should fight against!

Have you even seen the silly helmets that these okada people are buying recently just to comply? They are using construction helmets and pots to cover their heads. Some are just using sheer plastic bowls and tying a piece of rope as a protector under their Chins. Now tell me, if a person falls off a bike with a plastic tied to his head, what the health implication is? Wont the broken plastic add more complications to the already devasting injury situation?

Look at all the crash helmets in town, which one adequately resembles a real crash helmet? Are mothers and babies supposed have their own crash helmets separately too or the okada rider is to provide it for them?

My argument with the FRSC, is that they have not thought this one out well to see how effective they will carry out this law that will benefit everybody. They neither asked for the opinions of stake holders nor the opinions of passengers putting into consideration the health epidermic.

At least when they introduced the seat belt, who complained about it? Wasnt it for our safety? People always underestimate the effect of a health epidermic and for a mega city like lagos, it will be too catastrophic to handle.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by Nobody: 2:28am On Jan 05, 2009
hahaha, the Adam Brody moniker didnt work eh? grin
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tosinaded(m): 3:04am On Jan 05, 2009
Seth Cohen:

Yes i am not ready to compromise when i smell a health epidermic about to filter the air all in the name of the FRSC trying to justify their yearly budget of pretending that they are working.

fine, compromise ur life then!!!!!
get ur helmet!!!!!

Seth Cohen:

Before this new rule, Okada business has been in existence for almost 15 years or so in Nigeria and the number of head injuries are not as alarming as they propaganda team of the FRSC is trying to propagate.

are u serious?? wey u facts and statistics

Seth Cohen:

Most Bike accidents affect the legs, shin and arms of okada riders. I am suprised your not advocating that the complete Bike regalia should be introduced such as the shin guards, elbow guards and other ancillary things too? There is nothing like a lesser evil. What is evil is evil pure and simple.

really!!!!
think of it, the ones with this and are alive are only lucky cos they prob didnt hit there head on some pavement r sumtn.
and out of 10 okada accidents, 7 die!!! so wuts ur point??

Seth Cohen:

Protecting the head to expose man kind to devasting diseases shouldnt even be an option in any society no matter what.

first of all, are u literate
no matter how devastating the so called disease is, it can be cured!!!!
death by the head cant be cured!!!
jeeeeez wuts ur point

and ur so call DEVASTATING diseases can be prevented!!!!
get a damn helmet

Seth Cohen:

The helmet issues is beyond just wearing helmets. Everybody knows that safety is paramount in every society but sharing a commodity that acts as a carrier of diseases is something the society should fight against!

neeeeeext!!!!!
av hear that a million times
is that the only prob u av with the shit

get ur damn helmet or dnt take a bike

Seth Cohen:

Have you even seen the silly helmets that these okada people are buying recently just to comply? They are using construction helmets and pots to cover their heads. Some are just using sheer plastic bowls and tying a piece of rope as a protector under their Chins. Now tell me, if a person falls off a bike with a plastic tied to his head, what the health implication is? Wont the broken plastic add more complications to the already devasting injury situation?

Look at all the crash helmets in town, which one adequately resembles a real crash helmet?

u av a point there!!! frsc should av educated the viewers on the type of helmets and where to get them

Seth Cohen:

Are mothers and babies supposed have their own crash helmets separately too or the okada rider is to provide it for them?

see ursef!!!
u wld rather sound dumb just to make a point thats unreasonable!!!!!

Seth Cohen:

My argument with the FRSC, is that they have not thought this one out well to see how effective they will carry out this law that will benefit everybody. They neither asked for the opinions of stake holders nor the opinions of passengers putting into consideration the health epidermic.

i dnt understand u!!!!
opinions of stakeholders and passengers!!! for a law?
wtf
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by SethCohen1: 3:13am On Jan 05, 2009
@tosindada

So your saying in a nutshell that wearing the helmet that can be shared amongst all nigerians, good bad and ugly, dirty and smelly would prevent okada accidents and would not spread diseases abi?

If thats your argument, then you win 100%

But if your in Lagos and you have a health disease due to this beautiful law from sharing helmets, then you shouldnt complain to anyone at all!

Besides i hope you have bought your helmet to carry everywhere sha! If not, you would be breaking your own rules!

P:S: You should learn to tone down your use of words to argue. Its not personal and all you need is to voice your opinion and split not go about callingg people whether they are literate or not!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bigfather(m): 3:27am On Jan 05, 2009
Seth Cohen:

@tosindada

P:S: You should learn to tone down your use of words to argue. Its not personal and all you need is to voice your opinion and split not go about callingg people whether they are literate or not!

Abi o ! I wonder the sentiments ! This is just a public forum and it's in your own interest to make good use of other people's advice if you so wish to. Is there really any need to get personal ? undecided Take a cue from SIENA !
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tosinaded(m): 3:40am On Jan 05, 2009
Seth Cohen:

@tosindada

So your saying in a nutshell that wearing the helmet that can be shared amongst all nigerians, good bad and ugly, dirty and smelly would prevent okada accidents and would not spread diseases abi?

If thats your argument, then you win 100%

like i said before no1 is forcing to take a bike or use the helmet provided by the okada guy!!!!
try and get urs, that way we solve two probs!!!!

Seth Cohen:

sorry bout that
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by SethCohen1: 3:46am On Jan 05, 2009
tosinaded@:

like i said before no1 is forcing to take a bike or use the helmet provided by the okada guy!!!!
try and get urs, that way we solve two probs!!!!

sorry bout that

Its all good!

Like i said, nairaland is an opportunity to rant and vent. No one should take it personal. Its not as if our opinions matter to those in government anyway1 We can scream and vent but what the government wants to do, they will do it!

Anyhow sha later! Gotta go to bed long day Tomorrow!
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tosinaded(m): 3:49am On Jan 05, 2009
Seth Cohen:

@bronx dog

Your name says it all! Your a dog from the bronx!

mayb u should apologise for that also undecided
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by SethCohen1: 3:54am On Jan 05, 2009
tosinaded@:

mayb u should apologise for that also undecided

I am sorry i wont apologize to bronx dog! There was no reason for him to insult the other poster and saying it was a stupid post! At least everyone had their criticism of the post good or bad but why should he call him stupid and made no comments afterwards to either support the post or denounce it? I had to pop in to make fun of him too. I have seen his other posts and he takes delight in abusing people even though he is wrong in most of his opinions.

So i dont regret calling him that and i wont even answer him if he comes back raving
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by tosinaded(m): 4:04am On Jan 05, 2009
Seth Cohen:

I am sorry i wont apologize to bronx dog! There was no reason for him to insult the other poster and saying it was a stupid post! At least everyone had their criticism of the post good or bad but why should he call him stupid and made no comments afterwards to either support the post or denounce it? I had to pop in to make fun of him too. I have seen his other posts and he takes delight in abusing people even though he is wrong in most of his opinions.

So i don't regret calling him that and i wont even answer him if he comes back raving

see urself grin
human beings are funny!!!! see as u carry person insult for head!!!
to think that he wasnt even reffering to u is even funny cheesy

were u not the one who posted , cos i cant find that quality i n u undecided undecided

Seth Cohen:

@tosindada

@big father
u see who u dey fight for
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by bigfather(m): 4:28am On Jan 05, 2009
tosinaded@:

@big father
u see who u dey fight for

My brother, you really need to read all Bronx's post.There's is no need to throw tantrums when discussing issues that affects every Nigerian. You can imagine the kind of degrading words used in describing Nigeria and Naijas in quote. Nairaland is not only for naijas but also for people from other countries too. Do we really need to wash our dirty pants outside for people to see? So whatever names you call your people,so will others regard your people. Staying abroad doesn't mean you ain't a Naija, if you like make you bleach come white pass WACO JACKO. Your home still remains your home irrespective of where you stay, that NAIJA BLOOD go everly dey flow ! I believe it's all about maturity.
GOD BLESS NAIJA !
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by otoidea(m): 5:26am On Jan 05, 2009
sad 2 say o. but in my own little view, law in lagos sucks! its in total disarray!

there are streetlights everywhere not to control traffic but just to notify a lastma official to jump u! even more annoyin wen thers lights tht dont wrk properly e.g. one of the bulbs r dead, or d whole light system is not even on at all. isnt there pos to be a standard time btw orange and green/red? ive seen some tht just change to red after flashin orange for less than a second! its ridiculous!! the silly thing with traffic laws is tht there rili isnt any set out fine chart for specific offences all u hear are crazy figures they jst feel like tellin ya! sum1 once told me he was told to pay 50K for turning just before a round about! thats peoples 2 month salary!!! but trust naij now they eventually collected 5k frm him after plenty beggin n toasting. lol

there was the MOT time and these officers just couldnt be happier to jump u n discover u havent done it yet!

thers this helmet thing which should be gud bt rili, these people dont give a F**K if u gt ur hear smashed***trust me*** its all about jumpin the okada guys and fining them of their days work! thank God i dont av to ride dem, but the day it wud happn tht im on one nd wont be wearing the messy facecap xcuse 4 a helmet im provided by the bike man nd sum uniformd dude comes and strt yannin ish! hmm. let me just comment my reserve.

LAGOS! NIGERIA! get ur mind right! thers manyyyyyyy more basic IMPORTANT things to do than makin laws and planting trees! id sure prefer to have steady light than have a green view!

LOOKS UP! ITS A LIE! DID I JUST TYPE ALL OF THAT? LOL
SEE ME DISSIN PPLE IN MY MIND THAT "THEY HAVE TIME TO TYPE STORY ON NAIRALAND"
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by RichDad1(m): 6:53am On Jan 05, 2009
Who cares if u break ur head?abegi! FRSC n NPF were only concern about the money they gonna make.I wonder if a Helmet will make the Okada man drive more carefully, ma people you are on your own.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by jesuseun1(m): 8:31am On Jan 05, 2009
@ rich dad,lets be positive and be safety conscious.if the waering of helmet will not mak the riders drive carefully but at least it can protect d head when accident occur which come unannounce.safety is firsty all over d world.

i quite appreciate the helmet policy,its the normal thing all over d world.lets all pray that it will work,good governance its participatory ,lets embrace and promote the policy.I hav discover that govt policies dont work most times because nigerians in their mind and thinking hav rejected it by being pessimistic.pple say saparate lanes 4 brt will not work b4 but now its working and we are all enjoying it.i believe waering helmet will saves many lives this yr.the govt just need to regulate the prices so dat the riders can easily afford it.on the health hazard,it is true that that there are risks,but there is always way out.which are

1,if u can buy one helmet then go ahead,but if not then u go along with a face cap which is easily to carry along than carrying an extra load of an helmet ,make sure the helmet does not make direct contact with ur scalp.

2, on the ritualist risk,this idea just occur to me,since the rider will have two ,why not collect the one the rider is wearing to wear with ur face cap on too,so that he can use the passenger helmet,if he has any hidden agenda he will be reluntant to release its own,just make sure he is waering it b4 u demand for it.at least with that the juju go don spoil now.or what do u guys think.

i think this idea will work,because I dont see my self buying an helmet,because its an extra load and I will not subcribe to passengers not waering d helmet,accident dont announce when its coming.so pls lets give it a thot,safety first,life is preciousoooooooooo.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by stave9ja(m): 8:41am On Jan 05, 2009
lest be positive

it would not be easy as many changes are not easy

many people said the brt scheme will not work but it is still doing fine

many said lagos cannot look good, but did you drive through some part of lagos lately

some times on ikorodu road i would have flash backs of my evenings in uk

now its okada helments.

lets be positive. and very soon it would become part of our lives.

like you i am also tired of living in a city that looks like a junngle, no laws, no order, no visiom

i believe if we embrace change we would enjoy the future

, or why did the americans vote for obama, change, of course

if govnor fashola continue with is programmes (and make them more human focused than it is now) i would surpport him being president

as at now i am sick and tired of a visionless FG.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by SegzyJoe(m): 8:45am On Jan 05, 2009
@post
My fear is that this kind of regulation is hardly enforced in the northern part of the country, only Lagos and Abuja. The same apply to Film Censor regulations.
Re: New Helmet Rule In Lagos by igwe11(m): 10:29am On Jan 05, 2009
I still maintain that one can simple prevents any communicable disease by covering his/her head with smthing else b/4 putting on the helment or better still buy one 4 personal use, afterall anybody can enter okada owing to the traffic situation in Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How God Saved Me From A Car Fire Incident. Lessons And Tips. / Car Caught Fire In Awka, Near Central Bank By 6:12pm Today / What Documents Should Be Requested When Taking Ownership Of A Locally Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.