Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,300 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (102) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (896860 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tvegas(m): 6:23pm On May 12, 2015
Phema:

Tell me about it. . .
Na so I waka go buy one heavy duty stroller.
modath:

Bros, e be like say u enter inside my head cos the bolded is exactly my plan

Abeg correct stroller and baby crib are available for sale o. Make una help us find market. Funny enough, some experienced mum adviced us against it but as the thing dey shack us now. Our baby must have the best. grin cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 6:36pm On May 12, 2015
Tvegas:
@Newmum2015 and other mums thinking about shipping stuffs from the US. Here is my experience and advice.

1. Think well before shipping baby cribs because the chance of your baby using it is 50/50. My boy insists on staying beside the mum on the bed. At this rate I can sell you the Graco we bought , because we have never used it..grin

2. Be careful with electronic products from the US. The Avent sterilizer I bought packed up within a month. We had to buy another system. The TV we shipped is yet to pack up but The expensive stepdown we bought to safeguard all of them is already burnt.

3. Baby liquid soap and other heavy liquids can be bought locally,its not worth the extra shipping cost. We paid Delta extra $200 and it was money wrongly spent.

Important things to ship

1. Baby foods. Similac, gerber and enfamil are very expensive in Nija. You can ship what your baby will eat for the first 6 months or 1 year if possible.

2. Baby clothes and wears can also be bought. Buy more of age 3 months and above. 0 to 3 months become useless quickly. He also got lots of that as gift.

In summary,you can source good products locally,its not all items that is worth shipping. Congrats for all the successful visas and POE stories. One love.

Tvegas, Tvegas. I envy your wife o. You did all the birthing logistics and you've participated and still participating actively on this thread, You've been a very good consultant to many mums here giving advice on almost any topic. Now from this post you have really impressed me cas it's obvious you are helping your wife with nursing the baby. You even know the names of different baby foods, Avent sterilizer, baby liquid soap, etc. Na wa o!

My husby doesn't know jack about anything baby except of course on how to make them. He was always precise on my ovulation date as if he receives inspiration. This American project is entirely mine and all he's doing is coming to join us towards our departure to bring 'his' baby back to Nija. Well, I still love him to death. He is actually good in so many other things. Kudus to you anyway, I'm not just used to a man being so motherly. Or are you transgender? wink grin

21 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by segbas(m): 6:49pm On May 12, 2015
I hail oo bros

you fit ship to Qatar. Lol

how is your son doing and the mum?. More Blessings bros.

Tvegas:

Abeg correct stroller and baby crib is available for sale o. Make una help us find market. Funny enough, some experienced mum adviced us against it but as the thing dey shack us now. Our baby must have the best. grin cheesy
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:

Tvegas, Tvegas. I envy your wife o. You did all the birthing logistics and you've participated and still participating actively on this thread, You've been a very good consultant to many mums here giving advice on almost any topic. Now from this post you have really impressed me cas it's obvious you are helping your wife with nursing the baby. You even know the names of different baby foods, Avent sterilizer, baby liquid soap, etc. Na wa o!

My husby doesn't know jack about anything baby except of course on how to make them. He was always precise on my ovulation date as if he receives inspiration. This American project is entirely mine and all he's doing is coming to join us towards our departure to bring 'his' baby back to Nija. Well, I still love him to death. He is actually good in so many other things. Kudus to you anyway, I'm not just used to a man being so motherly. Or are you transgender? wink grin

@Bolded. . . That is all he needs to know na. wink
Odikwa very important grin

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tvegas(m): 7:03pm On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:
Tvegas, Tvegas. I envy your wife o. Or are you transgender? wink grin

Lol @dittobaby the bolded part got me rolling on the floor. You should appreciate your oga o,am sure he has his many strong areas too.I also have my weaknesses which i daily trust God to help me with. Infact wifey is one of the few women that can marry me. Meanwhile she doesn't like social media or researches but i love researching everything. God knows how he matches people. The bottomline is to just appreciate God for the people in our lives.

19 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

cheesy grin,one can just imagine the drama..

Your post is reminiscent of our car seat battle of musanga, my kids no gree sit inside for one day,if they fall asleep in your arm & you think you can do fast one,dem go just open eyes fiam,wan begin yell... maybe cos we started using it late sha (3mths+)..

Hoping this one will co operate before CPS intervene for our matter.

I doubt it's cos you started using late. My boy never liked it from day 1. I think it's cos they don't want to be 'independent'.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Happymom001: 7:06pm On May 12, 2015
Spot on Tvegas, my baby sleeps beside me, don't buy a crib cus they don't sleep in it, stroller u really don't need in naija, I got as a gift, maybe we'll use when we go on vacation, invest in car seat, I bought bouncer sef, na me dey use hand bounce baby, you. Can get a play gym cus it catches their attention and that's pretty cheap. Buy plenty food, I stocked up on liquid and powder formula my little one eats well, pampers ooo, leave new born, start from 1-4 if u can, clothes from 3-18months, come and buy step down from park and shop for ur appliances, my liquid soap and cream baby didn't use, they baath her with black soap and ori, she's got the most gorgeous skin, buy powder (cornstarch) the heat is realllll, the hosp advice against it oo, but be careful when u put on baby's body. Save ur cash, babies don't go out within the 1st 3 months, buy onesies ( for day and night) short sleeves and few long sleeves except u are blessed with light (nepa)

9 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tvegas(m): 7:12pm On May 12, 2015
segbas:
I hail oo bros, you fit ship to Qatar. Lol,how is your son doing and the mum?. More Blessings bros.
You are welcome bro,we ship to anywhere in the world grin. Those two items are the most idle in my house. Like @Happymom001 explains i can only advise new parents to get car seat first that is the most important investment in my view.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 7:17pm On May 12, 2015
Tvegas:

Lol @dittobaby the bolded part got me rolling on the floor. You should appreciate your oga o,am sure he is got his many strong areas too.I also have my weaknesses which i daily trust God to help me with. Infact wifey is one of the few women that can marry me. Meanwhile she doesn't like social media or researches. God knows how he matches people. The bottomline is to just appreciate God for the people in our lives.

Ai ya. Now I understand.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by segbas(m): 7:22pm On May 12, 2015
Welcome o bros,

The stroller my wife loves here, I dey convince her all the time, the price fit buy land for Lagos, imagine over 7k Qatari Riyal (around 400k) lol.... If I buy dt one and baby say na so so carry make we dey carry am, just imagine.....

All is well

Tvegas:
You are welcome bro,we ship to anywhere in the world grin. Those two items are the most idle in my house. Like @Happymom001 explains i can only advise new parents to get car seat first that is the most important investment in my view.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 7:25pm On May 12, 2015
Tvegas, even for dash sef, I no go take. cheesy
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Arisbel(f): 8:14pm On May 12, 2015
Baby stroller is actually good if you travel a lot with your baby cos of nature of your work. At some point your baby will get to heavy for baby carrier. Every other thing Tvegas wrote is right...well done Tvegas.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Arisbel(f): 8:25pm On May 12, 2015
Baby stroller is actually good for a Mum who travels a lot cos at some point your baby will be too heavy for baby carrier. Every other point Tvegas wrote is right...well done Tvegas
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by FinanceFitness: 8:27pm On May 12, 2015
The strollers are totally useless in Nigeria... I remember when I got an expensive one and quickly reported myself to make me feel less guilty, my husbAnd's response was "does it have an engine"... Now the stroller is just gathering dust!

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by iolite88(f): 8:34pm On May 12, 2015
@dittobaby no be lie oh. I keep reading @Tvegas post and wondering you sure say na man or maybe no be Naija man. Most African men are not wired to pay attention to those things. Indeed I hail you @Tevegas.

dittobaby:

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 12, 2015
Tvegas:

Abeg correct stroller and baby crib are available for sale o. Make una help us find market. Funny enough, some experienced mum adviced us against it but as the thing dey shack us now. Our baby must have the best. grin cheesy
I totally have a different view abt car seat, crib et al, my kids 3years and 8mths still use their car seats well cos I'm always on d go, the baby sleeps well in his crib, he even sleeps thru the night, my toddler sleeps in his own bed. I think it mostly the way we train them, I remember my 1st use to cry when I put him in his crib always wanting me to carry him but I just carry him for a bit and put him back in his crib. Different strokes for different folks smiley

6 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MadameU: 8:55pm On May 12, 2015
MadameU
Did you mean that you shipped stuff by sea from Newark and it took 20days?

Yes mate, shipped by sea o, got to Lagos after 20 days, from there got someone to send them to Abuja. Received stuffs in2 days via ABC express.

@newmum the Cargo wise guys contact Mr Molumo 770833-4420.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 9:01pm On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:

Are you saying you don't see what Amazon has sent to you before your shipper ships it to Nigeria? Or are you talking of when you are in Nigeria?

From my experience with Amazon, they don't send all what you buy in one package. Your items are sent to you on different days probably because of the items coming from different sellers. How does one handle this when using a shipper and you would want to get all your things in one package?

Some shippers like mine have a retainer policy and can hold your items for at most 5 - 10 days to allow for all your items to arrive.
In my case though I am an Amazon Prime subscriber which means that most of my items gets delivered to my shipping address within 2 business days. Been using these guys since 2012 and have received every item in good condition. PSI shipping on Westpark drive Houston.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MadameU: 9:15pm On May 12, 2015
@tvegas, and Anyone willing to sow or sell a baby crib abeg holla! I need one desperately. I go pay. My baby loves to sleep on her own,seat on her own and watch everything going on in the world, she's outgrown her bassinet cos the babe tall. It so happens I though I would not need a crib, bought n shipped almost everything else, diapers, wipes, formular, clothes, toys, walker, potty, baby car et al....
I advice everyone who can please buy all your supplies n ship via sea freight. (used a shipper in Newark got my stuff in 25days) PM for their contact anyone interested. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by zeezahbee(f): 10:17pm On May 12, 2015
Does kojie San works ? Have tried once, no difference, it makes the skin dry
modath:

1.You too gbaski!!! Bros, e be like say u enter inside my head cos the bolded is exactly my plan(up to 12mths sef)& @Beryl15's as well .

My son's/daughter's (same one)crib was turned into a washed laundry depository& I've sown it into another mum's life since but swore never to advise anyone close to me expend money on one cos our African babies don't understand that butti level.

One other point of advise is that people should not mind people when they claim the products supplied here have had their quality down scaled (especially when they use price as their point of reference), not true in many cases.

The reason products are more expensive in the US can be linked to Taxation & minimum wage requirements.I bought kojie San for $4.50 in the US but got same product for #500 here, and its the same efficacy.
Same with my baby's beautiful begginings texturiser, $7 in target but #900 here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by abcv657: 10:22pm On May 12, 2015
Good day all...it's been a while since I posted here before the tsunami... Had my baby in naijja over seven months ago (story for another day) one thing I ovserved thou is they try n keep u long enough before cs is the option I was d one that ended up shouting for it after 10hrs at 2cm....

Anyways re baby cot n car seat my infant has been sleeping in her own cot since day one even when the grandparents came I made sure they let her sleep on her cot so it works for me too...

I actually got a really good wooden cot in naijja n the price was extremely reasonsable so I guess u find wat u look for ...,

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 10:35pm On May 12, 2015
Newmum15:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.I called a particular shipping agent and he said its $4:50 per pound.The crib I'm considering is 125 pounds alone(without the baby walker and others in it).I think that's too expensive for me.Called their customer service line at Amazon and the guy told me that once the order gets accepted then I would definitely get it.They also have an option of waiting till all your orders are ready before they ship or they ship individually as its ready.Im just skeptical cos I haven't heard anyone send that much stuff to Abuja from Amazon.

I used PSI and buy most things from Amazon and send to Abuja (Via Houston of course). I use my work address off Herbert Macaulay in CBD Abuja as delivery address and everything is brought intact. Amazon has good tracking so I know when my items arrive Houston first. Then I place a call (sometimes, esp when I started) to the warehouse in Houston to do an inventory of all my items.

Like someone said here airfreight is 2 weeks, if there are logistics delays due to Naija customs then delivery may get to 3 weeks at best. You can call for them to hold your items so long as they don't need to keep them for too long so that all items get consolidated and sent together.

125 pounds worth of items is roughly N120,000. Is it worth it Hope this helps.

This is what my wife and I like (Baby crib) and its shipping weight is around 62 pounds which is roughly N50,000 to ship down here (minus cost of crib). I don't think it's worth the hassle. I think it's better to pay N70,000 for one in the stores here in Naija.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Children-Canton-Convertible-Espresso/dp/B0031KMAJK/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1431465809&sr=1-1&keywords=delta+crib

For about N45,000 one can also get these nice Graco playards with bassinets that babies can use as a crib until they are at least big enough for it to be used as a play yard for them. Others choose to introduce their little ones to cribs from the onset.

Please experienced mammas what are your preferences as na our first be this? Crib immediately or bassinets/sleepers.

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Playard-Reversible-Napper-Changer/dp/B00GY8J8H8/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1431466074&sr=1-2&keywords=graco+playard
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 10:41pm On May 12, 2015
abcv657:

I actually got a really good wooden cot in naijja n the price was extremely reasonsable so I guess u find wat u look for ...,

Hi, How much did you pay for the wooden cot? Looks close to what we want. And where did you get it from? Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Shawbabe: 10:54pm On May 12, 2015
Hello everyone,

How is everyone doing? Stopped by to say ha fa grin

To add to what has been said, focus more on shipping diapers, wipes and clothes 3 months and above. I use my car seat and stroller oh here in abuja. Especially when I go gocery shopping at a supermarket. Or in my neighbourhood.

As for baby sleeping on our bed, I refused that one from the very start. Becoz na like that e dey start dem no go gree sleep alone later. U no go even fit romance ya spouse, mba oh. Moved my baby to crib sharply. If they cry, let them. They'll learb to sleep alone and comfort themselves back to sleep. Lol I know it's harrrd.
The crib I checked in in Atlanta and tagged FRAGILE, those useless airline people destroyed it when I saw it in Abuja. So we had to buy another one in Naija and claimed compensation from the airline. Yeye people.

For baby food, I found Gerber gentle start powder formula wasn't breaking down well with my baby. So check what works for baby b4 shipping stuff back. Or u'll be stuck with what u won't use.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ifax(f): 11:32pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

Ahhh!!! Ori iya mi o!!Back to prayer mode grin cheesy...

You can use the prime class lounge. It's 35 euro I think. But they only accept cards not cash. There's food (buffet) ,shower ,children's play room. So u can relax there
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 11:44pm On May 12, 2015
zeezahbee:
Does kojie San works ? Have tried once, no difference, it makes the skin dry

Its quite good for exfoliation,& you are right about the drying effect but I don't leave it on for long & also use moisturisers.

@ifax,
Thanks for the heads up.

@dittobaby,
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by demiiii(f): 11:49pm On May 12, 2015
Hello nairalanders,
I gave birth a week ago at laurel.

Maryland mums, can any1 give me info on the process of gettn a birth cert. For thr newborn, when d dad isn not in d us.
I was given an affidavit form to be filled by both parents at d hosp.

Sm1 pls help me urgently
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MadameU: 2:56am On May 13, 2015
[quote author=Fizzywah post=33679653]

I used PSI and buy most things from Amazon and send to Abuja (Via Houston of course). I use my work address off Herbert Macaulay in CBD Abuja as delivery address and everything is brought intact. Amazon has good tracking so I know when my items arrive Houston first. Then I place a call (sometimes, esp when I started) to the warehouse in Houston to do an inventory of all my items.

Like someone said here airfreight is 2 weeks, if there are logistics delays due to Naija customs then delivery may get to 3 weeks at best. You can call for them to hold your items so long as they don't need to keep them for too long so that all items get consolidated and sent together.

125 pounds worth of items is roughly N120,000. Is it worth it Hope this helps.

This is what my wife and I like (Baby crib) and its shipping weight is around 62 pounds which is roughly N50,000 to ship down here (minus cost of crib). I don't think it's worth the hassle. I think it's better to pay N70,000 for one in the stores here in Naija.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Children-Canton-Convertible-Espresso/dp/B0031KMAJK/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1431465809&sr=1-1&keywords=delta+crib

For about N45,000 one can also get these nice Graco playards with bassinets that babies can use as a crib until they are at least big enough for it to be used as a play yard for them. Others choose to introduce their little ones to cribs from the onset.

Please experienced mammas what are your preferences as na our first be this? Crib immediately or bassinets/sleepers.

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Playard-Reversible-Napper-Changer/dp/B00GY8J8H8/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1431466074&sr=1-2&keywords=graco+playard

I have the Graco 3 in 1 park n play, and it's just great, serves it's purpose. As a changing station, bed and eventually play pen. I think I recommend that at least till your baby outgrows it or you buy a bed for your kid

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Goldenheart88(f): 4:57am On May 13, 2015
Popri:
Pm me for a reliable shipper in Sayreville, NJ...
I have used them so many times, shipped from clothing to 65" TV to Abuja and I got it in one piece, shipping time is very fair, cost good..takes 14days for airfreight and sea freight was less than 2 months for me and was affordable.
Shipping to Lag even takes a shorter time..pls this is not an advertisement in any way..I just love the shipping line cos they've served me well

Please I will be needing the contact of the shipper in Sayreville nj. I just sent you an email. Thanks!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Goldenheart88(f): 5:10am On May 13, 2015
dittobaby:
My question is for those who have traveled with a toddler and used wheelchair. Were you allowed to carry your toddler on your lap while you were being pushed? At your destination in US, did another porter push your luggage while were you were still being pushed on your wheelchair?

Yes I had my toddler on my laps and my hand luggage in between my legs resting on the foot pedal of the wheel chair. Yes the porter waits for you to finish everything including luggage claim, and till u catch your ride. Just prepare your tip for the porter. And yes, he will be the only one attending to u. You can't get two porters.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by isysleek: 7:08am On May 13, 2015
Hi. Please where in nail a did you get this cot and how much?

abcv657:
Good day all...it's been a while since I posted here before the tsunami... Had my baby in naijja over seven months ago (story for another day) one thing I ovserved thou is they try n keep u long enough before cs is the option I was d one that ended up shouting for it after 10hrs at 2cm....

Anyways re baby cot n car seat my infant has been sleeping in her own cot since day one even when the grandparents came I made sure they let her sleep on her cot so it works for me too...

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by ozycy: 8:32am On May 13, 2015
Lol, have been reading all comments and laughing out loud. I use everything starting from baby crib from day one we got bk to naija up till now (1yr and 3 months baby) and she will keep sleeping there till another baby overtake her. My second baby actually fell off from our bed cos we do keep him at d end of d bed and block him with pillows cos hubby will not allow him to sleep in between us lol, I had to run to a big store to buy the wooden crib dat same day he fell and it has never been ideal since den. Der is no need buying dat heavy duty crib in US, der are fine and very very affordable ones here. Instead use dat moni to buy formula, clothes up to 2yrs depending on when you plan to travel again and other important things. And for the baby stroller, we stroll a lot in the estate and we use it to push baby inside d compound too, lol. u can also use it inside big supermarket while shopping. For the car seat, if U are always on d go, U can't do without the car seat. I drive my baby to work daily and d car seat is a must. The crib sb posted up der is really nice and U can get it at a very good price here.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Polish Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.