Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (892231 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 0yin: 10:22pm On May 11, 2015
[quote author=MadameU post=33644827]

Cargo wise LLC. [/quote
Thanks. Corporate messengers take 2 months for it to get to lagos which is dependent on how soon the container gets filled up!!!!

Do you have a number for cargo wise pls?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Popri(f): 10:34pm On May 11, 2015
Pm me for a reliable shipper in Sayreville, NJ...
I have used them so many times, shipped from clothing to 65" TV to Abuja and I got it in one piece, shipping time is very fair, cost good..takes 14days for airfreight and sea freight was less than 2 months for me and was affordable.
Shipping to Lag even takes a shorter time..pls this is not an advertisement in any way..I just love the shipping line cos they've served me well

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by 0yin: 10:35pm On May 11, 2015
Popri:
Pm me for a reliable shipper in Sayreville, NJ...
I have used them so many times, shipped from clothing to 65" TV to Abuja and I got it in one piece, shipping time is very fair, cost good..takes 14days for airfreight and sea friegt was less than 2 months for me and was affordable.
Shipping to Lag even takes a shorter time..pls this is not an advertisement in any way..I just love the shipping line cos they've served me well

Pls do you have one in atlanta?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 10:56pm On May 11, 2015
Newmum15:
I wasn't given a card and was stamped in for 6 months.

Hummnn. As at 3 weeks ago when I got in, I got a card.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Fizzywah(m): 11:00pm On May 11, 2015
Newmum15:
Pls guys,has anyone bought and shipped anything to Nigeria from Amazon?Pls help me o

The shipper I use is in Houston. I send from Amazon to their address and they bring nationwide to Nigeria. They charge $4 to a pound of weight for Lagos residents and $4.40 for the rest of naija.
Send a pm if interested.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Popri(f): 11:01pm On May 11, 2015
@Oyin, Sayreville, New Jersey, don't have any in Atl, check the ones mentioned by other people that commented b4 me
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 12:09am On May 12, 2015
Fizzywah:

The shipper I use is in Houston. I send from Amazon to their address and they bring nationwide to Nigeria. They charge $4 to a pound of weight for Lagos residents and $4.40 for the rest of naija.
Send a pm if interested.

Are you saying you don't see what Amazon has sent to you before your shipper ships it to Nigeria? Or are you talking of when you are in Nigeria?

From my experience with Amazon, they don't send all what you buy in one package. Your items are sent to you on different days probably because of the items coming from different sellers. How does one handle this when using a shipper and you would want to get all your things in one package?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 1:06am On May 12, 2015
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.I called a particular shipping agent and he said its $4:50 per pound.The crib I'm considering is 125 pounds alone(without the baby walker and others in it).I think that's too expensive for me.Called their customer service line at Amazon and the guy told me that once the order gets accepted then I would definitely get it.They also have an option of waiting till all your orders are ready before they ship or they ship individually as its ready.Im just skeptical cos I haven't heard anyone send that much stuff to Abuja from Amazon.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 1:26am On May 12, 2015
Newmum15:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.I called a particular shipping agent and he said its $4:50 per pound.The crib I'm considering is 125 pounds alone(without the baby walker and others in it).I think that's too expensive for me.Called their customer service line at Amazon and the guy told me that once the order gets accepted then I would definitely get it.They also have an option of waiting till all your orders are ready before they ship or they ship individually as its ready. Im just skeptical cos I haven't heard anyone send that much stuff to Abuja from Amazon.

Is Amazon shipping rate cheaper? I think it's safer to use a shipping company o. Since your goods are heavy, why don't you have patience and opt for shipping by sea. The rate should be more affordable.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by DeeandGLady: 1:29am On May 12, 2015
Nogen:
Congratulations DeeandGlady! This is what I call -Divine Favour!

@Nogen Thanks, It was really divine favour.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by DeeandGLady: 1:32am On May 12, 2015
stlov:
hello pals, am new to this forum. but i ve found it very informative reading through all the posts concerning birthing in US. Pls i want to knw whether any member in the house has had the experience of passing thru houston POE and what the experience was like. pls share.

Please see part 1 here for references https://www.nairaland.com/617280/give-birth-usa-cost-procedure/400#up

Thank you.

Are you sure you have read through all post? Cos I just posted my Houston POE experience. Check and read.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 2:10am On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:

Is Amazon shipping rate cheaper? I think it's safer to use a shipping company o. Since your goods are heavy, why don't you have patience and opt for shipping by sea. The rate should be more affordable.
Amazon ships for free if you're buying anything above $35(so they said,they might have hidden charges tho).I won't mind shipping by sea if I get too.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Arisbel(f): 2:41am On May 12, 2015
Continuation from page 92:

First of all congratulations to all Mums who just put to bed whether CS, VB or VBAC. Na Godwin! None of them dey easy, I don't know why we run away from CS and then some people end up losing their babies and their lives. Look at small Togo, they have low maternal and infant mortality as a result of child birth. Their govt too gave free medical treatment to all pretty women who have CS in govt hospitals to help reduce the rate of mortality.

I left Lagos on Monday, 4th May, 2015 with Delta and we had to stop over at Accra to buy Aviation fuel due to scarcity of fuel in Nigeria. (I wasn't surprised cos from my lil experience I predicted that but I was just angry how Nigeria was losing a lot of money as a result of this strike action). We got to Accra spent 2 hours before we left for Atlanta, when our plan landed I was amongst the first 10 to get out cos I did t have hand luggage and I didn't want to spend a lot of time standing at POE. After like 30 minutes it got to my turn:
Me: Good morning Sir! (Since it was about 7am on 5th May Atlanta time)
CBP: Good morning, how are you?
Me: Fine thank you
CBP: What are you here for?
Me: To have my baby
CBP: Are you with over 10,000 USD?
Me: Only 10,000 USD
CBP: Are you with over 10,000 USD? Answer yes or no?
Me: No
CBP: You mean you will be all alone by yourself at an apartment in Phoenix?
Me:Yes
CBP: Why did you travel alone? Why didn't you go to a city where you have relatives?
Me: Then I said they will come over when I put to bed (i was bringing out all my documents before he called the intercom to request for a police to take me for secondary inspection). He asked me not to worry I should shoe them all my documents there.

I think I love this there secondary inspection sef cos it is more relaxing and they are very good physcologist.

At secondary inspection:
I immediately used the rest room then waited for like 10 minutes before I was called and we were 3 Peggy women and other people more of blacks waiting to be called.

Me: Good morning Sir (it was a black CBP officer)
CBP: Good morning, how are you?
Me: Fine thank you.
CBP: I can see from your passport that you travel a lot
Me: I smiled and said yes
CBP: So he asked me business or work?
Me: I told him work
CBP: Then he asked me what I was here for:
Me: I said to have my baby
CBP: He asked if I have contacted a hospital and Doctor?
Me: I said yes then brought out all my documents (email from MIHS for appointment with finanicals attached with the MIHS package for self paying patients, notification letter sent to American Embassy and a reply from them, email from Legacy suites in phoenix reservation, baby project budget, marriage certificate etc)
CBP: Then he said that OK, we really like it when you notify the embassy, it says valor about your personality.
Me: I smiled
CBP: Have you paid for your hospital bills?
Me: No, I have to sign an agreement with the hospital first before paying?
CBP: How much are you with?
Me: 10,000 USD
CBP: Any Naira?
Me: No
CBP: Have you been to US before? And where?
Me: I said yes for Christmas vacation and we were in Houston, Dallas and Alabama
CBP: Alabama? What the hell were you doing there? Am from Alabama
Me: Then I smiled at told him I went to visit my Uncle for New year
CBP: You mean your Uncle lives there? (Surprised)
Me: Yes for more close to 13 years and the NGO I worked for has its heaquarters there. I told him Alabama was a cool place
CBP: Then he said he is from Montgomery and glad I enjoyed my stay in Alabama cos we got talking about places in Alabama like Florence, Huntsville, Birmingham etc (it's good to travel and explore cities, you also learn and have things to talk about)

Na so he stamped me in for six months until Nov 4th, 2015. I went and picked my luggage and headed to customs but cos of my 10,000 USD they sent me for another secondary inspection. At their place the white guy saw me, read my card and said "Oh that's no big deal, you just fill a form to declare to money you have and off you go." But he still checked my bags for foodstuff but I had none. He also took time to read my baby project notebook where I wrote a lot of info from this trend like budget, hospitals, contact address for apartments, procedure for getting birth certificate, baby passport and Nigerian visa. He just smiled and asked me to go after filling a form. They didn't even want me to bring out the money for them to see or count. By the time I went to Delta I had missed my flight to phoenix so I was rebooked for the next flight which was going to be boarding in less than 2 hours.

We should all be positive, prayful and prepared. Do not leave any stone unturned. Good luck to us all

24 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 2:44am On May 12, 2015
Newmum15:
Amazon ships for free if you're buying anything above $35(so they said,they might have hidden charges tho).I won't mind shipping by sea if I get too.

Ask that same shipping agent you called. They should be doing both air and sea. Whichever shipping agent you eventually use ensure it's a referral.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 2:54am On May 12, 2015
My question is for those who have traveled with a toddler and used wheelchair. Were you allowed to carry your toddler on your lap while you were being pushed? At your destination in US, did another porter push your luggage while were you were still being pushed on your wheelchair?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Beryl15: 7:58am On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:
My question is for those who have traveled with a toddler and used wheelchair. Were you allowed to carry your toddler on your lap while you were being pushed? At your destination in US, did another porter push your luggage while were you were still being pushed on your wheelchair?
Waiting for the ans to this ?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shimk: 8:01am On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:

yes o.

pls sm-one should answer as i will be doing same next week abeg.

and did the porter wait for you till u finished at POE?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Beryl15: 8:02am On May 12, 2015
Hello all,
Pls has any Peggy mama travelled with Qatar airlines? What was your experience like?
It's the cheapest I've seen for now.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 8:26am On May 12, 2015
[quote author=MadameU post=33645056][/quote]

@ MadameU
Did you mean that you shipped stuff by sea from Newark and it took 20days?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 8:49am On May 12, 2015
@Newmum15,
Howdy? Permit me to chip in something, I saw where you stated that the crib you are eyeing is 125lb(56kg+) which is heavier than a full bag of rice/cement.

Minus the huge shipping cost,won't that be a nightmare to move around the house and even pack up for storage later? Maybe you can reconsider& look for one that will both be pleasing to the sight and still practical.

& that $35 free shipping doesn't apply to all 3rd party merchants on amazon site.

@Dee&G lady,
Kindly take your place in the heroine hall of fame & where do you want your Nobel peace prize delivered? smiley

@Beryl15,
Qatar is a great airline but the journey itself is undecided.. If there is no option though, you just have to take it as it is.

I booked turkish airline and was initially worried when someone posted how cramped their seats are but someone PMed &assured me the airline is pretty good and will only have a problem if I'm way over 6 feet tall,a. check their site,you may find a price that suits your budget.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dere5: 8:56am On May 12, 2015
mimikoko:
Thanks everyone, I've sorted it out.

Pls i am intrested in knowing how you sorted it out,cause i cant see any date duration of how long you were stamped in for.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 8:57am On May 12, 2015
Beryl15:
Hello all,
Pls has any Peggy mama travelled with Qatar airlines? What was your experience like?
It's the cheapest I've seen for now.
Qatar airlines will be a journey of life to the u.s, the long layover and timing to first Naija to Qatar then to the u.s after a not less than 10 hour layover, i've used them to the u.k and dubai and it I swore I will never use them again because their layover times are really long

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 9:02am On May 12, 2015
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 9:02am On May 12, 2015
modath:

@Newmum15,
Howdy? Permit me to chip in something, I saw where you stated that the crib you are eyeing is 125lb(56kg+) which is heavier than a full bag of rice/cement.

Minus the huge shipping cost,won't that be a nightmare to move around the house and even pack up for storage later? Maybe you can reconsider& look for one that will both be pleasing to the sight and still practical.

@Dee&G
i really hadn't thought about that you know,I just picked it cos it has baby wardrobe attached to it.Thanks for pointing it out.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by tosyne1808: 9:18am On May 12, 2015
abike02:
@tosyne1808: i used methodist sugarland vaginal delivery is 2538 (2days) epidural (1500) didnt use though CS is 3780 (2days) Circumcision 200 depending on d paediatrician you choosed. My doctor is at Sweetwater ob/gyn associates. The office is just behind methodist sugarland hospital. Her name is Sharon William n her fee is 2800 for self pay.

@abike02 thanx for ur response, please do you have an email for the doctor.and also do they receive payment in adnvance.i will be much comfy haing paid some or all of my bills before hand.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Beryl15: 10:20am On May 12, 2015
@modath and @chloe7.
Thanks ladies for your responses. I'm traveling with a toddler so it would really be a journey of life grin with Qatar. 10 hour wait + belle would not be fun at all.
I had delta in mind but the fare no be here, almost 500k. Last time I used delta I got awoof ticket 198k smiley

I've travelled Turkish airline before and the wait was 6 hour to & 23hours on return leg!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 10:45am On May 12, 2015
Beryl15:
@modath and @chloe7.
I've travelled Turkish airline before and the wait was 6 hour to & 23hours on return leg!

Lucky me then, cos I got 6hrs outbound and a 75mins layover for the return leg.

How was the care and service though?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dyout: 10:47am On May 12, 2015
Try using Delta or BA through agent like travelstart or wakanow. But travelstart is preferrable becos of the options of +-3days also there price is far cheaper than wat u stated earlier.

Beryl15:
@modath and @chloe7.
Thanks ladies for your responses. I'm traveling with a toddler so it would really be a journey of life grin with Qatar. 10 hour wait + belle would not be fun at all.
I had delta in mind but the fare no be here, almost 500k. Last time I used delta I got awoof ticket 198k smiley

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by MamaTobenna: 10:49am On May 12, 2015
My people, I say make I waka pass una. Baby is two months today and we have adjusted to Naija hot weather. For those considering shipping cribs, I think it's better to just buy something small from naija. Some babies don't eventually use these cribs much o. I am sure experienced mums can testify to this. Before deciding to ship anything pls be sure it's worth the effort and money. My two cents

23 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Popri(f): 10:54am On May 12, 2015
Pls any airline reviews? Really want to know more about United and preggies
Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mumdearest: 11:00am On May 12, 2015
QuickHomeBuyers:
Hello all. Who knows of any diamond bank branch in lagos that has pta at the moment? My wife and I are travelling on Sunday and all the branches I have been to on the mainland said they don't have. Pls help abeg. Thanks

they've stopped the sales of PTA & BTA in all banks. Its CBN regulatory decision made. you will have to source for dollar from BDC.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 11:02am On May 12, 2015
dyout:
Try using Delta or BA through agent like travelstart or wakanow. But travelstart is preferrable becos of the options of +-3days also there price is far cheaper than wat u stated earlier.

From many mums experiences,one can deduce purchasing tix through 3rd party agents may create a bottle neck when it comes to adding infant tix or a date change.

Anyone with a different experience can help shed more light.

@mamatobenna,
Seconded.

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Polish Student Visa / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.