Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (896748 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (333) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dyout: 11:13am On May 12, 2015
That is why i am recommending travelstart, they will give option of change of date with cost price of 15k, but dont want about infant, you call them for that.

modath:

From many mums experiences,one can deduce purchasing tix through 3rd party agents may create a bottle neck when it comes to adding infant tix or a date change.

Anyone with a different experience can help shed more light.

@mamatobenna,
Seconded.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 11:26am On May 12, 2015
That's strange I haven't gotten a card in years, just the stamp in my passport

nefertitiram:

Stopped ke? They still give it o! It's usually 6 months, but some special conditions, esp after sec. inspection and deliberations, it could be less. But max of 6 mths

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 11:44am On May 12, 2015
Hope the free shipping includes international shipping.

Like someone else suggested, I say you use sea cargo. The rates are much cheaper cos they don't charge by weight, instead they use the dimension of your items/boxes. It takes longer, but it allows you send a lot more stuff.

I normally use hitechcourier based in Tampa florida. They pick up from me in Orlando and when i'm in naija, I order and ship directly to them. It takes about 4-5wks to get my stuff. Their container usually leaves around the 30th of every month, so I time it accordingly.

You can PM me for details if you're interested.

Newmum15
post=33649264:

Amazon ships for free if you're buying anything above $35(so they said,they might have hidden charges tho).I won't mind shipping by sea if I get too.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 11:46am On May 12, 2015
shelly23:

In years? I've been in and out of US 3 times in 2yrs, ds is the 4th time. I always get a card on the flight, even when I have nothing to declare.

How did you declare your food items? Because that's where you declare stuff you have.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by shelly23: 11:53am On May 12, 2015
That's a landing card, not the I 94 card.
The I-94 is a small card given to you by the POE official and that's where they used to stamp, now they just stamp on the passport.

nefertitiram:

In years? I've been in and out of US 3 times in 2yrs, ds is the 4th time. I always get a card on the flight, even when I have nothing to declare.

How did you declare your food items? Because that's where you declare stuff you have.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Beryl15: 12:03pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

Lucky me then, cos I got 6hrs outbound and a 75mins layover for the return leg.

How was the care and service though?

You're really lucky then.
Service was very good, leg room:ok, food: fair(Mediterranean food) smiley
I advice you buy something to eat for the 6 hour wait though you can use your card to purchase stuff at the airport in turkey.
Finally, there is a waiting lounge. Ask any of the staff to show you so you can sleep before the next flight. Find out if you're entitled to a free meal as we had 3 free meals
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Marisley(f): 12:06pm On May 12, 2015
mumdearest:

they've stopped the sales of PTA & BTA in all banks. Its CBN regulatory decision made. you will have to source for dollar from BDC.

The sales of PTA has not been stopped because i got yesterday from Diamond bank at the rate of 200/$. PH branch trans amadi.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Newmum15: 12:07pm On May 12, 2015
shelly23:
Hope the free shipping includes international shipping.

Like someone else suggested, I say you use sea cargo. The rates are much cheaper cos they don't charge by weight, instead they use the dimension of your items/boxes. It takes longer, but it allows you send a lot more stuff.

I normally use hitechcourier based in Tampa florida. They pick up from me in Orlando and when i'm in naija, I order and ship directly to them. It takes about 4-5wks to get my stuff. Their container usually leaves around the 30th of every month, so I time it accordingly.

You can PM me for details if you're interested.

I'm definitely interested.Ill pm you.Thanks a lot.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 12:08pm On May 12, 2015
shelly23:
That's a landing card, not the I 94 card.
The I-94 is a small card given to you by the POE official and that's where they used to stamp, now they just stamp on the passport.

Oh! My bad! Av always assumed that's an I-94!!! Choi! Information

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 12:38pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

Lucky me then, cos I got 6hrs outbound and a 75mins layover for the return leg.

How was the care and service though?
terrible, they had good aircrafts but dirty lavatories, when I even complained nobody did nothing, Awon people yen terrible gan
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 12, 2015
dyout:
That is why i am recommending travelstart, they will give option of change of date with cost price of 15k, but dont want about infant, you call them for that.

travel start and wakanow and agents generally are terrible for changing dates you will pay through your nose, I have experienced it before I called the airline they asked me to go through the agent, so it's better to buy ticket from airline direct

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Popri(f): 12:50pm On May 12, 2015
chloe7:
travel start and wakanow and agents generally are terrible for changing dates you will pay through your nose, I have experienced it before I called the airline they asked me to go through the agent, so it's better to buy ticket from airline direct

You regret using an agent when u want to reschedule your trip. I always bought from airlines direct in the past till I used an agent last year form Delta ticket to US, we paid 160k for my hubby and I to reschedule cos there was a fare difference and al, that .Delta couldn't do anything about it.
Pls be careful when using agents...

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 12, 2015
Popri:

You regret using an agent when u want to reschedule your trip. I always bought from airlines direct in the past till I used an agent last year form Delta ticket to US, we paid 160k for my hubby and I to reschedule cos there was a fare difference and al, that .Delta couldn't do anything about it.
Pls be careful when using agents...
wakanow was asking for just about 160k to reschedule my ticket to the uk too in march, I was mad, in my life I won't use agent again, I will buy direct as I always did

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 1:03pm On May 12, 2015
chloe7:
terrible, they had good aircrafts but dirty lavatories, when I even complained nobody did nothing, Awon people yen terrible gan

Ahhh!!! Ori iya mi o!!Back to prayer mode grin cheesy...

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

Ahhh!!! Ori iya mi o!!Back to prayer mode grin cheesy...
ba emailed me sometimes ago not too long ago that they were doing sales I think you should opt for either BA or Delta or united Airlines and airfrance, just be checking every hour you might be lucky to get a price drop that's what I usually do

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 1:17pm On May 12, 2015
chloe7:
ba emailed me sometimes ago not too long ago that they were doing sales I think you should opt for either BA or Delta or united Airlines and airfrance, just be checking every hour you might be lucky to get a price drop that's what I usually do

Ticket already locked down weeks ago,I live in abuja and Delta&united do not come to our neck of the woods

I stalked BA&AF sites before we settled on TA, I have a July/August travel date & the closest was AF with a 509$ price difference, Lufthy & BA weren't even smiling.. With my beer budget, can't be wishing for cristal. wink

I also didn't want to do AF flight change within US with a baby in tow and being on my own.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

I stalked BA&AF sites before we settled on TA, I have a July/August travel date & the closest was AF with a 509$ price difference, Lufthy & BA weren't even smiling.. With my beer budget, can't be wishing for cristal. wink

I also didn't want to do AF flight change within US with a baby in tow and being on my own.
Turkish is better you can even decide to get a visa on arrival and stay a day or two on your day back, although I haven't flown them but I have heard they are good and also I want to take advantage of the visa on arrival thing they do for thos with US and UK visas
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 1:30pm On May 12, 2015
chloe7:
Turkish is better you can even decide to get a visa on arrival and stay a day or two on your day back, although I haven't flown them but I have heard they are good and also I want to take advantage of the visa on arrival thing they do for thos with US and UK visas

I thought you had and had a terrible experience with their on board lavatories?

chloe7:

Not likely to take advantage of the visa thing though, home is koko by then.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mabels: 1:34pm On May 12, 2015
mumdearest:

they've stopped the sales of PTA & BTA in all banks. Its CBN regulatory decision made. you will have to source for dollar from BDC.

Are I sure abt this, bought PTA for husband and I in FCMB zone 4 branch on tuesday.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mabels: 1:35pm On May 12, 2015
mumdearest:

Are U sure abt this, bought PTA for husband and I in FCMB zone 4 branch on tuesday.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by mabels: 1:36pm On May 12, 2015
shelly23:

Same here.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 12, 2015
modath:

I thought you had and had a terrible experience with their on board lavatories?

Not likely to take advantage of the visa thing though, home is koko by then.
when I said lavatories it was for Qatar Airways
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by nefertitiram: 1:57pm On May 12, 2015
mabels:

Same here.

I confused the I-94 for a landing card. I've never seen the small card shelly mentioned, so they must have stopped giving it for a few years now.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by abike02: 4:09pm On May 12, 2015
@tosyne1808 u can email me..femi.ronke@yahoo.com
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Tvegas(m): 4:43pm On May 12, 2015
@Newmum2015 and other mums thinking about shipping stuffs from the US. Here is my experience and advice.

1. Think well before shipping baby cribs because the chance of your baby using it is 50/50. My boy insists on staying beside the mum on the bed. At this rate I can sell you the Graco we bought , because we have never used it..grin

2. Be careful with electronic products from the US because voltage difference in Nigeria. The Avent sterilizer I bought packed up within a month. We had to buy another system. The TV we shipped is yet to pack up but The expensive stepdown we bought to safeguard all of them is already burnt.

3. Baby liquid soap and other heavy liquids can be bought locally,its not worth the extra shipping cost. We paid Delta extra $200 and it was money wrongly spent.

Important things to ship

1. Baby foods. Similac, gerber and enfamil are very expensive in Nija. You can ship what your baby will eat for the first 6 months or 1 year if possible.

2. Baby clothes and wears can also be bought. Buy more of age 3 months and above. 0 to 3 months become useless quickly. He also got lots of that as gift.

In summary,you can source good products locally,its not all items that is worth shipping. Congrats for all the successful visas and POE stories. One love.

28 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Beryl15: 5:07pm On May 12, 2015
Tvegas:
@Newmum2015 and other mums thinking about shipping stuffs from the US. Here is my experience and advice.

1. Think well before shipping baby cribs because the chance of your baby using it is 50/50. My boy insists on staying beside the mum on the bed. At this rate I can sell you the Graco we bought , because we have never used it..grin

2. Be careful with electronic products from the US. The Avent sterilizer I bought packed up within a month. We had to buy another system. The TV we shipped is yet to pack up but The expensive stepdown we bought to safeguard all of them is already burnt.

3. Baby liquid soap and other heavy liquids can be bought locally,its not worth the extra shipping cost. We paid Delta extra $200 and it was money wrongly spent.

Important things to ship

1. Baby foods. Similac, gerber and enfamil are very expensive in Nija. You can ship what your baby will eat for the first 6 months or 1 year if possible.

2. Baby clothes and wears can also be bought. Buy more of age 3 months and above. 0 to 3 months become useless quickly. He also got lots of that as gift.

In summary,you can source good products locally,its not all items that is worth shipping. Congrats for all the successful visas and POE stories. One love.

Seconded!
Also baby diapers and wipes. I bought diapers that has lasted for over a year with my first, e still remain small sef.

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 5:31pm On May 12, 2015
Happy 100th page! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 12, 2015
MamaTobenna:
My people, I say make I waka pass una. Baby is two months today and we have adjusted to Naija hot weather. For those considering shipping cribs, I think it's better to just buy something small from naija. Some babies don't eventually use these cribs much o. I am sure experienced mums can testify to this. Before deciding to ship anything pls be sure it's worth the effort and money. My two cents

Tell me about it. . .

Na so I waka go buy one heavy duty stroller. Up till today, my baby has totally refused to sit in it. Put him in and he will scream the heavens down. If no be say he resemble me small, people around go think say I kidnap am. cheesy

Some kids are just not cut out for plenty feferity. Use wrapper tie them for back and they will sleep easy.

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 5:57pm On May 12, 2015
Tvegas:

Important things to ship

1.You too gbaski!!! Bros, e be like say u enter inside my head cos the bolded is exactly my plan(up to 12mths sef)& @Beryl15's as well .

My son's/daughter's (same one)crib was turned into a washed laundry depository& I've sown it into another mum's life since but swore never to advise anyone close to me expend money on one cos our African babies don't understand that butti level.

One other point of advise is that people should not mind people when they claim the products supplied here have had their quality down scaled (especially when they use price as their point of reference), not true in many cases.

The reason products are more expensive in the US can be linked to Taxation & minimum wage requirements.I bought kojie San for $4.50 in the US but got same product for #500 here, and its the same efficacy.
Same with my baby's beautiful begginings texturiser, $7 in target but #900 here.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by dittobaby: 6:05pm On May 12, 2015
dittobaby:
My question is for those who have traveled with a toddler and used wheelchair. Were you allowed to carry your toddler on your lap while you were being pushed? At your destination in US, did another porter push your luggage while were you were still being pushed on your wheelchair?

Haven't gotten any solid answer to my questions yet.

In my last trip to London the porter, at Heathrow airport, who pushed my wheelchair was very upset when I put my almost 2yrs old son on my lap so that my husby could comfortably push the luggage. I tried pleading with him but he explained that if he allows me and my son falls off he could lose his job. Since then I have been wandering what if I had traveled alone with my son.

In the next few weeks, God willing, I will be traveling with my son and my mum. My mum will also be on a wheelchair because of the arthritis on her leg. So who would carry my son and push the trolley?

To be on the safe side, I think I'll just book for a wheelchair for my son and hope that another porter would handle the luggage.
Hmm what a sight we would be! shocked grin

Still expecting other suggestions, though.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by justheritage: 6:12pm On May 12, 2015
@Popri pls do you knw of any affordable hospital in New jersey?
Popri:
@Oyin, Sayreville, New Jersey, don't have any in Atl, check the ones mentioned by other people that commented b4 me
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 by modath(f): 6:18pm On May 12, 2015
Phema:

Tell me about it. . .

Na so I waka go buy one heavy duty stroller. Up till today, my baby has totally refused to sit in it. Put him in and he will scream the heavens down. If no be say he resemble me small, people around go think say I kidnap am.cheesy

Some kids are just not cut out for plenty feferity. Use wrapper tie them for back and they will sleep easy.

cheesy grin,one can just imagine the drama..

Your post is reminiscent of our car seat battle of musanga, my kids no gree sit inside for one day,if they fall asleep in your arm & you think you can do fast one,dem go just open eyes fiam,wan begin yell... maybe cos we started using it late sha (3mths+)..

Hoping this one will co operate before CPS intervene for our matter.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (333)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Polish Student Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.