Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Are Nigerian Guys Romantic - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are Nigerian Guys Romantic (4584 Views)

Kenyan Girl Has This To Say About Nigerian Guys / Are Yoruba Guys Romantic?, i think i might marry a yoruba guy / Are Nigerian Guys Romantic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by C2H5OH(f): 12:48am On Jan 17, 2009
nice try sapphic
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 12:52am On Jan 17, 2009
. . . tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by arramyjay: 1:40am On Jan 17, 2009
I dont knw,but the one i ever went out with wasnt but tried to be.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Nobody: 1:55am On Jan 17, 2009
@sapphic
Of course they are. You do know that Nigerian male is a euphemism for inconsiderate pig? Wink
omg!!! You're a lady after my heart!! cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by JJYOU: 2:09am On Jan 17, 2009
you guys are asking the wrong question here. the problem is not romance but lack of pure love. love without wrong motives.

i said it before the idea or concept of love is allien to majority of our people. men/women. check many marraige back home and see how many % you think were based on love as you know it. majority are based on convenience of who can pay the bill better or accomodate better or look after the in laws better which are wrong motives.

if phillip can only afford coke and gala and onald can afford mr biggs which of them do you think our people would go for? we are not talking cars or bank balance now.

just the simple idea of loving someone for who they are & not for the sperm or recharge card exchange

see dictionary.com give different love. watch 1,2 and maybe 16 to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).

love
   
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.

7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
8. (initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13. Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
–verb (used with object)
15. to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16. to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17. to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19. to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20. to have sexual intercourse with.
–verb (used without object)
21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
—Verb phrase
22. love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
—Idioms
23. for love,
a. out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
b. without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24. for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25. in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26. in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
27. make love,
a. to embrace and kiss as lovers.
b. to engage in sexual activity.
28. no love lost, dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers.

many are drawn to the sexual meaning of love and not the others that is where we miss the mark
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Treetop20(m): 2:12am On Jan 17, 2009
this is overkill
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by JJYOU: 2:24am On Jan 17, 2009
we tend to abuse whatever we fail to understand its purpose.

we dont buy flower and perfume to appreciate a person that choose to share their life and heart with us because we dont understand the purpose of relationships.
you get someone post  to make you think you call it an overkill. what a brilliant mind you have.

dont you know how much you pay for the car you cant relate with? dont you know how much some computers/electronics you use for only hours cost? do you know anything you actively use that dont cost you anything?

why do we think we can get away not appreciating the most valuable people in our lives. you see why we have weak and vulnerable relationships?
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Nobody: 2:28am On Jan 17, 2009
JJYOU:

we tend to abuse whatever we fail to understand its purpose.

we dont buy flower and perfume to appreciate a person that choose to share their life and heart with us because we dont understand the purpose of relationships.
you get someone post to make you think you call it an overkill. what a brilliant mind you have.

dont you know how much you pay for the car you cant relate with? dont you know how much some computers/electronics you use for only hours cost? do you know anything you actively use that dont cost you anything?

why do we think we can get away not appreciating the most valuable people in our lives. you see why we have weak and vulnerable relationships?
Long story short, romance is not in most naija men's dictionary
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by JJYOU: 2:35am On Jan 17, 2009
HeatFusion:

Long story short, romance is not in most naija men's dictionary
and women like i said earlier. our people are not wired to love/ romance. our culture is [i]get what you can and can what you get [/i]as they say
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by SisiJinx: 2:36am On Jan 17, 2009
Treetop20:

this is overkill

No it isn't ! It is absolutely on point!!

Maybe we have been fighting the wrong battle, If we. . . especially men can really understand that marriage isn't just another passing fancy in life like growing a mustache and that women are not just "help mates" or mere vessels to make life easier for them, majority of the discussion we have on the romance section will cease.

We talked about respect and we had guys going on and about how the girl must cook, she must clean, she must this and that nothing about someone understanding them, supporting their dreams, being there for them. . .  Nothing that touches on the deep emotional side of things, just every day convenience.

Again how do we define these things. . . Love, Romance and Respect?  If our definition of love is remotely close to what we have above, certainly cooking cleaning, bowing down and worshiping won't be the first that comes to mind when we talk about expectations neither will it be He must have money, be able to buy me Gucci bag and matching shoes.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Nobody: 2:36am On Jan 17, 2009
JJYOU:

and women like i said earlier. our people are not wired to love/ romance. our culture is [i]get what you can and can what you get [/i]as they say
Atleast the women try. kiss kiss
calling you guys "oga" and all those bullshit, just to make y'all happy. shior
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 2:40am On Jan 17, 2009
JJYOU:

you guys are asking the wrong question here. the problem is not romance but lack of pure love. love without wrong motives.

i said it before the idea or concept of love is allien to majority of our people. men/women. check many marraige back home and see how many % you think were based on love as you know it. majority are based on convenience of who can pay the bill better or accomodate better or look after the in laws better which are wrong motives.

if phillip can only afford coke and gala and onald can afford mr biggs which of them do you think our people would go for? we are not talking cars or bank balance now.

just the simple idea of loving someone for who they are & not for the sperm or recharge card exchange

many are drawn to the sexual meaning of love and not the others that is where we miss the mark

I don't know about guys, but our parents generation has taught many girls that it can be fruitless loving a broke guy and suffering with him to become somebody, only for him to dump you when he has climbed the ladder of success or marry a second wife. It is that time that the guy would remember that you are not polished enough, or not educated enough, or that he needs a younger prettier wife. I don't even want to go into how many of my friend's parents who came to the UK in the 50s, 60s and 70s, where the wife worked 2 to 3 jobs just so that the husband could go to school. She paid the bills (sometimes his school fees even if he was not on a scholarship), only for the asshole to either dump her or take another wife (my best mate from university, that is exactly the situation her mother found herself in. And when the bloody bastard died, he had the guts to say that the children of the other wife should get more than the children of my friend's mother because they have not finished school. Imagine the rubbish. They are lucky they got anything at all. . . bleeping bastard. The asshole was peniless when his 1st wife married him and her people did not want her marrying such a friggin pauper, but she was in love. It was her father that paid for them to come to London o. . . and he regularly sent them money when things were rough. . . ko ni da fun stupid love).

All those days of "love is blind" does not wash with many girls nowadays. Ta lo wa nile fun oshi? If men don't like it, they should comot for road abeg. angry
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Treetop20(m): 2:45am On Jan 17, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

No it isn't ! It is absolutely on point!!

Maybe we have been fighting the wrong battle, If we. . . especially men can really understand that marriage isn't just another passing fancy in life like growing a mustache and that women are not just "help mates" or mere vessels to make life easier for them, majority of the discussion we have on the romance section will cease.

We talked about respect and we had guys going on and about how the girl must cook, she must clean, she must this and that nothing about someone understanding them, supporting their dreams, being there for them. . .  Nothing that touches on the deep emotional side of things, just every day convenience.

Again how do we define these things. . . Love, Romance and Respect?  If our definition of love is remotely close to what we have above, certainly cooking cleaning, bowing down and worshiping won't be the first that comes to mind when we talk about expectations neither will it be He must have money, be able to buy me Gucci bag and matching shoes.
i did not read through all that he wrote
i will also like to say that not all men see women as help mates
or mere vessels as you've put it
love does come with romance and respect
that is how it should be. if i am going to be with a woman for life
then i will make it fun for the both of us. this takes work from the both of us
we are talking about marriage here right? i would also say that most men come
here to bluff but are real to their significant others at home.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by SisiJinx: 2:45am On Jan 17, 2009
HeatFusion:

EXACTLY Ruby, the women try. Most women give up when they don't get anything back, that's why we have many taking a page out of a man's book and going "Oh I will do the this, this and that you want from me but I want to do it in a absolutely, ridiculously expensive environment"

Trade by barter n'yaju ni.

This is why poor men get no loving. He is poor and he still wants to exert "manly Authori-tay".

It's like. . . Ayiiiiin? how does he want it?!! grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Nobody: 2:50am On Jan 17, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

EXACTLY Ruby, the women try. Most women give up when they don't get anything back, that's why we have many taking a page out of a man's book and going "Oh I will do the this, this and that you want from me but I want to do it in a absolutely, ridiculously expensive environment"

This is why poor men get no loving. He is poor and he still wants to exert "manly Authori-tay".

Lmaoooooooooo. . . .true that.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 2:51am On Jan 17, 2009
Treetop20:

Why just marriage? If you are a good man, you are a good man. How likely is it that when you were not romantic during courtship that you would suddenly turn romantic after you have gotten wed? My people have a saying that it is from afternoon that you will know how the night would be. In fact, most men complain that the woman wants to change them after marriage and majority of them change for the worse, dropping whatever pathetic pretense they had at romance the minute they snare a woman. Marriage for many women is a prison, a jail term from which many never return sane.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Treetop20(m): 2:54am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

Why just marriage. If you are a good man, you are a good man. How likely is it that when you were not romantic during courtship that you would suddenly turn romantic after you have gotten wed? My people have a saying that it is from afternoon that you will know how the night would be. In fact, most men complain that the woman wants to change them after marriage and majority of them change for the worse, dropping whatever pathetic pretense they had at romance the minute they snare a woman. Marriage for many women is a prison, a jail term from which many never return sane.
while this is true, i will also say that not all women
deserve a good man simple! and when you get those kind of women
you treat them accordingly( i certainly do not mean this in a horrible way either)
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by SisiJinx: 2:55am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

All those days of "love is blind" does not wash with many girls nowadays. Ta lo wa nile fun oshi? If men don't like it, they should comot for road abeg. angry

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy

Treetop20:

I like that but let it be in general not just marriage and on the off chance that you really mean it. . . I say BRAVO TO YOU!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 2:57am On Jan 17, 2009
Treetop20:

while this is true, i will also say that not all women
deserve a good man simple!
and when you get those kind of women
you treat them accordingly( i certainly do not mean this in a horrible way either)

shocked Shuo. . . Ognene Biko. undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Treetop20(m): 3:02am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

shocked Shuo. . . Ognene Biko. undecided
what? am i fibbing again?
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 3:05am On Jan 17, 2009
Not fibbing. Just harsh. lipsrsealed
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by JJYOU: 3:07am On Jan 17, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

are u not suppose to be teaching the women how to clean and be submissive? why all these feminists wahala now?
HeatFusion:

the trouble i have with your women try business is the evil men were all mainly raised by women.  me and my brother were always told by my mum and granny that we were to make sure any woman we come across had life better than theirs.   i blame the women raising up these "monsters" you guys are trying to convince here.

like i said this is above our pay grade. some may have been damaged beyond redemption. if care is not taken women may never have it better than it is today.  i just thank God i was not born in the last 3 decades. so many of you know rights but dont use the word responsibility. loving, graceful, loyal, respectful, being nice and caring to your partner is a responsibility dont you think?
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Treetop20(m): 3:08am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

Not fibbing. Just harsh. lipsrsealed
ok good. you get my point though
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by SisiJinx: 3:21am On Jan 17, 2009
JJYOU:

are u not suppose to be teaching the women how to clean and be submissive? why all these feminists wahala now?
That was Baby Jinx!! Heheheheheheh grin

the trouble i have with your women try business is the evil men were all mainly raised by women.  me and my brother were always told by my mum and granny that we were to make sure any woman we come across had life better than theirs.   i blame the women raising up these "monsters" you guys are trying to convince here.

like i said this is above our pay grade. some may have been damaged beyond redemption. if care is not taken women may never have it better than it is today.  i just thank God i was not born in the last 3 decades. so many of you know rights but dont use the word responsibility. loving, graceful, loyal, respectful, being nice and caring to your partner is a responsibility dont you think?

It is the mother's fault. . . Oh come on! That is a cop out if I've ever heard one.

Tell me, how do you suppose the little boy in this scenario will grow up?

On one hand, He watches his dad happily exert his "Authority" over momma, on the other. . . he listens to his mom tell him women are equal, treat them with respect and blah, blah, blah.

Please, I ask you which one of the lessons do you think will take?

As much as we'd like to spin this and place the blame on the mothers, most guys want to be like their fathers. . . it is monkey do what monkey see. In conclusion the ball is back in your court tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 3:25am On Jan 17, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

ROFLMAO, Abi o. The baby don grow to sisi, and the Sisi don open eye. LOL tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by JJYOU: 3:27am On Jan 17, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

It is the mother's fault. . . Oh come on! That is a cop out if I've ever heard one.

Tell me, how do you suppose the little boy in this scenario will grow up?

On one hand, He watches his dad happily exert his "Authority" over momma, on the other. . . he listens to his mom tell him women are equal, treat them with respect and blah, blah, blah.

Please, I ask you which one of the lessons do you think will take?

As much as we'd like to spin this and place the blame on the mothers, most guys want to be like their fathers. . . it is monkey do what monkey see. In conclusion the ball is back in your court tongue
forgot you were the home lawyer in the family. if granny brought up daddy properly i would say. seriously my dear i dont like what i see. the younger ones are not helping matters too.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by DaPhoenix(f): 3:27am On Jan 17, 2009
I haven't seen one yet . . . and I probably won't lmao.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by SisiJinx: 3:29am On Jan 17, 2009
JJYOU:

forgot you were the home lawyer in the family.  if granny brought up daddy properly i would say. 

Rotflmao!! grin grin grin grin

Oh Yeah, what about Grandpapa??!!! Hmmmm Are we going in circles here?

seriously my dear i dont like what i see. the younger ones are not helping matters too.

Yep!!!!
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Sapphic: 3:32am On Jan 17, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Oh Yeah, what about Grandpapa??!!! Hmmmm Are we going in circles here?

'Fraid so mate. undecided

I am just shocked that in typical Naija fashion, men abrogate all duties to do with bringing up the brats.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by babatquon: 3:41am On Jan 17, 2009
Of course, they are, it depends on the response they get from the Ladies. Nigeria Ladies love to be pampered but would not care to do the same to their men.
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by JJYOU: 3:41am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

'Fraid so mate. undecided

I am just shocked that in typical Naija fashion, men abrogate all duties to do with bringing up the brats.
chill. sisi knows what i am talking about. you dont know where this matter came from so may not understand what were talking about.

i am out of here
Re: Are Nigerian Guys Romantic by Nobody: 3:45am On Jan 17, 2009
JJYOU:

are u not suppose to be teaching the women how to clean and be submissive? why all these feminists wahala now? the trouble i have with your women try business is the evil men were all mainly raised by women. me and my brother were always told by my mum and granny that we were to make sure any woman we come across had life better than theirs. i blame the women raising up these "monsters" you guys are trying to convince here.

like i said this is above our pay grade. some may have been damaged beyond redemption. if care is not taken women may never have it better than it is today. i just thank God i was not born in the last 3 decades. so many of you know rights but dont use the word responsibility. loving, graceful, loyal, respectful, being nice and caring to your partner is a responsibility dont you think?
Also blame the father. Because if a child does not listen to his mother, he usually listens to his father.
If a man cannot control his child and teach him how to respect and treat women right, then he ain't a real man.
There's a different between being a father and being [i]called [/i]a father.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Secondary Vaginity : How Possible? / She Is Crazy Of My Lips,eyes And Voice! / My Boyfrnd And My Salary!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.