Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. (27245 Views)

The Shameless Act Of Ikwerre Fathers Towards Igbos / More Pictorial Confirmation Of APC Shameless Act That Land Inec Official into tr / Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by major466(m): 11:25pm On Apr 27, 2015
Pls bear with me if you find my writeup a bit disorganized. My tablet is yet to arive so am using a small phone to write this piece to express maself about recent development. Thanks for understanding.

I was thrown into a deep shock when i read in the news that President elect, M. Buhari bared media house AIT from covering his activities. Though i wasnt surprised by his action, i was surprise because he's already showing the true nature we knew he was even before swearing in. What sort of democrat bar a media house from covering public activities? Does he think the office of President is he's private property? Who does he think he is? A king? Does he know the meaning of a public servant? Maybe not. Why he's semi illitrate, if not he would have understood that in democracy, the office of the president is not only accountable to the people but also to the Press. That is why freedom of the Press is one of the shining lights of democracy as a form of govenment.

This singular act by Buhari to bar a media organization from covering his activities as president elect just comfirm that he's still the same old dictator that he was 32 years ago. A liar who lied to the world in Chatam house that he was a democrat, banning a media house from covering his activities because of a documentary? Very childish and imature indeed! Does he know what democracy is all about? If he feels pained by a documentary then he has no business in politics.

I remember vividly during the US presidential campaign of 2008 when Fox News network castigated Obama to a point of no return. They made fun of him, ridicule him, called him monkey, fueled his birth certificate issues to the extend that almost got most Americans asking questions about his true country of birth. In the end he had to surrender his birth certificate to the press (unlike Buhari and his school certificate mess). It was a scandal. Plus the many other systematic attacks against his candidacy. Fox news people are racist. Those of you who watched that channel during and after the Presidential campaigns will know what am talking about. But ever since Barack Obama won the Presidency of the United States, not ones did Obama vent out his anger to revenge against fox news. Why? Because he understood the principles of democracy. As a private individual no media house will bother you. But as soon as you become a politician, the eyes of the press makes a microscopic look at your personality. The media will not only scrutinize your past but will also go way back in time to study your childhood background. Any shocking revelation will be brought to the public front. That is the way it is in democracy especially in advance societies like USA. Even our dear GEJ was not speared from the hard scrutinizing lens of the press, sometimes personal and insulting attacks against him. Did he ever vent out his anger by baring them from covering his activities? No. Why? Because he like Obama understood the principles of Democracy. He understood that press freedom is paramount in democracy. Thats why Nigerians of all ages can express themselves freely without fear of being arrested. This is the beauty of Democracy and freedom. For Buhari to lower himself like a child who got his azz kicked by his cousin to trample upon Freedom of Press shows that he's nothing but thesame old dictator in civilian clothes.
Just like someone said, like OBJ like Buhari. Both dictators in civilian clothing.

BTW, I hear many Buhari followers giving excuses that he has the right to bar AIT citing privacy as reasons. Sure i completely agree that every individual on the planet deserves the right to privacy. That ofcouse is a fundamental human right. But they however failed to note that as soon as an individual becomes a public official in the position of a President elect, privacy becomes a secondary issue. Infact privacy is not an excuss to bar a media organization from performing its function by investigating Buhari's activites as president elect.

243 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by richidinho(m): 11:29pm On Apr 27, 2015
@op.....Nice 1 there

We only have one Democrat...i.e GEJ

Buhari was a dictator
Buhari is a dictator
Buhari will die a dictator

Mark my word

165 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Tradesrunner(m): 11:35pm On Apr 27, 2015
major466:
Pls bear with me if you find my writeup a bit disorganized. My tablet is yet to arive so am using a small phone to wite this piece to say ma mind. Thanks for understanding.

I was thrown into a deep shock when i read that President elect Buhari bared AIT from covering his activities. Though i wasnt surprised by his action, i was surprised because the guy is already showing the true buhari we know even before the swearing in. What sort of democrat bar a media house from covering public activities? Does he think the office of President is he's private property? Who do he think he is? A king? Does he know the meaning of public servant? Maybe not. He's semi illitrate if not he would have understood that in democracy, the office of the president is not only accountable to the people but also the media as well. Thats why the freedom of media is of the shining light of democracy as a form of govenment.
This singular act by Buhari to bar a media organization from covering his activities as president elect just comfirm that he's still thesame dictator that he was 32 years ago. A liar who lied to the world in Chatam house that he was a democrat now banning a media house from covering his activities because of a documentary? Very childish and imature indeed. Does he know what democracy is all about? If he feels pained by a documentary then he has no business in politics.
I remember vividly during the US presidential campaign of 2008 when Fox New network castigated Obama to a point of no return. They made fun of him, ridicule him, called him monkey, fuel his birth certificate issues that almost caused a scandal in the US and many other systematic attacks against his presidential campaign. But ever since Obama won the Presidency of the United States, not ones did Obama vent out his anger against fox news. Why? Because he understood the principles of democracy. As a private individual no media house will bother you. But as soon as you become a politician, the media will not only scrutinize your past activities but will also go way back in time to study your childhood background. Any shocking revelation will be brought to the public front. That is the way it is in democracy in advance society like USA. Even our dear GEJ was not speared from the hard scrutinizing and sometimes personal attacs. Did he vent out his anger by baring them from covering his activities? No. Why? Because he like Obama understood the principles of Democracy. Media houses have theavily by the media. As
Haters go and die

100 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by ezeagu(m): 11:36pm On Apr 27, 2015
richidinho:
@op.....Nice 1 there

We only have one Democrat...i.e GEJ

Buhari was a dictator
Buhari is a dictator
Buhari will die a dictator

Mark my word

This why I say:

Once a dictator. How can you elect someone that said out their mouth that they will destabilise Nigeria? That is why it is a zoo.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by mensdept: 11:49pm On Apr 27, 2015
Tell them again^^^

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by ilovecritics(m): 11:50pm On Apr 27, 2015
GEJ HAS BEEN CLEARED BY GOD, NIGERIANS AND HUMANITY.
He is 100x the man Buhari can ever be..

I am proud to have existed in his time - Buhari will soon show his real old colour.
A deranged pack of nitwits (I mentioned no-name(s)) have voted for dictatorship once more!!

Mods: Abeg; i no call person name ooh!!
undecided

125 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by ilovecritics(m): 11:52pm On Apr 27, 2015
Tradesrunner:

Haters go and die

I'll be ashamed to know you are a Nigerian like me..

150 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by iliyande(m): 11:56pm On Apr 27, 2015
Sorry, not tribalism, but Igbos are trying so hard to find a fault from buhari. Why? He will assume his duty in may why in hurry? For now he has every right to his privacy.

Just want to add.

Please don't be offended by my reply my Igbo brothers. But if anyone want to take census of Igbos in nairaland. he should just involve buhari vs ibos. I am still not tribalistic oooooo. lipsrsealed

92 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Kolade354(m): 12:01am On Apr 28, 2015
iliyande:
Sorry, not tribalism, but Igbos are trying so hard to find a fault from buhari. Why? He will assume his duty in may why in hurry? For now he have every right to his privacy.
Dont mind dose igbos.....they will never see anyting gud in Buhari.........Bunch of Bigot so silly lyk Apga.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by abduljabbar4(m): 12:04am On Apr 28, 2015
I used to hate topics like this but now I find them funny

9 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by adebisicutie: 12:05am On Apr 28, 2015
The shamelessness we should be talking about is this

https://www.nairaland.com/2280952/pwc-report-latest-cbn-npdc

12 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by not4sure(m): 12:07am On Apr 28, 2015
Buhari didn't barred them from performing their duty but barred them from covering all his function. On Obama case, Fox News never lie or did a documentary or real Obama they were doing their investigative Jounalism. But AIT were very Lazy, and take all opposition leader on a biased story. We know politicians own media house but they just need to be professional not personal. This is a report from Buhari spokesman himself

Security officials attached to Muhammadu Buhari have barred African Independent Television (AIT) from covering the functions of the president-elect till further notice.

Buhari Clamps Down On AIT

The security team according to Punch cited security reports and ethical issues as reasons for their action.

The directive which took effect on Monday, April 27, was enforced when members of AIT crew, who were at the Defence House to cover of a meeting between Buhari and a visiting Cuban delegation, were asked to leave.

Confirming this to Punch, the crew said: Yes, we were told but we cannot just leave; we have a job to do. In any case, we have not been officially informed about what we have done wrong.

On why AIT was restricted from covering functions of the president-elect, Mallam Garba Sheh, the director of press of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation, noted that security concerns informed the decision.

He said: “AIT has been asked to stay aside based on security and family concerns. In addition, General Buhari has decided that they will have to resolve some issues relating to issues of standard and ethics.

“We will be talking with them to try and resolve the matter but for now, the station has been asked to stay aside because, like I said, there are some family and security concerns.

READ ALSO: Top PDP Financer, Arthur Eze, Visits Buhari

“They have been asked to step down their coverage until we resolve the matter with them on ethics and standards.”

In weeks building up the presidential election, AIT was criticized for airing a documentary, “The Real Buhari” which x-rayed the retired general’s past military regime as one that become the first to sentence a woman to death by firing squad.

The documentary was described by the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a“fabricated and hate broadcast” against its presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari.

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) also indicted the African Independent Television (AIT) and the National Television Authority (NTA) for the airing several documentaries which maligned the image of Muhammadu Buhari.

http://www.naij.com/428854-buhari-bars-ait-till-further-notice.html

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by olaxy2(m): 12:14am On Apr 28, 2015
Well, the General Is entitle to his own privacy. U shld wait till he's sworn in before saying trash. he has said what he wanted for now. after he's sworn in, AIT can come and be sleeping in his sitting room. but for now, let them be tapping from Channels. Op don't commit suicide oo. follow mama piss instruction which says " she rather die than.....

103 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by iliyande(m): 12:25am On Apr 28, 2015
not4sure:
Buhari didn't barred them from performing their duty but barred them from covering all his function. On Obama case, Fox News never lie or did a documentary or real Obama they were doing their investigative Jounalism. But AIT were very Lazy, and take all opposition leader on a biased story. We know politicians own media house but they just need to be professional not personal. This is a report from Buhari spokesman himself

Nice one here

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Balkan(m): 12:27am On Apr 28, 2015
#Babaonechance.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by major466(m): 12:46am On Apr 28, 2015
not4sure:

You need a lot of education about democracy and th freedom of press in a Presidential system of government. Did i hear you say fox news were professional in their work What is professional about calling someone derogative names Clearly you dont watch fox news.

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by simplymade(m): 1:32am On Apr 28, 2015
Abeg mk una go siddon one place...mtcheew haters oshi

Dem dey vex me sef

U think say ur opinion fit change anything

8 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 28, 2015
abduljabbar4:
I used to hate topics like this but now I find them funny
See goat...wots he doing here..Jonathan allowed sahara reporters.. they infiltrated him and say lies smtimes abt his gvmt but he still tolerated them cos of democracy...do unto others wot ull like others to do to you.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by WisdomFlakes: 2:14am On Apr 28, 2015
ilovecritics:
GEJ HAS BEEN CLEARED BY GOD, NIGERIANS AND HUMANITY.
He is 100x the man Buhari can ever be..

I am proud to have existed in his time - Buhari will soon show his real old colour.
A deranged pack of nitwits (I mentioned no-name(s)) have voted for dictatorship once more!!

Mods: Abeg; i no call person name ooh!!
undecided

You are obviously still not over GEJ's election loss. Don't worry, time will heal your pain. In the meantime, prepare to endure this 'dictator' for the next 4years, after all Nigerians endured your clueless GEJ for 6 good years and heaven did not fall. grin

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by henchamb(m): 3:36am On Apr 28, 2015
Double standard by a tanoid.

An illiterate wicked daura man said dont cover my activity n you pple are here crying up n down.

Shebi una no dey when ait say na his wickedness caused the death of his daughter
Am yet to read ur topic where you condemned the poor works of ait
Well this is just morning
With this in place, he has sent msg to the likes of aunty sweet brent and madam Chinese cheek including aunty shepo

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by cy4cent(f): 3:36am On Apr 28, 2015
In as much as I hate the freedom n reportage of the press being whittled down , no one came up

shouting ''journalism of hate n bias '' or ''shameless act of AIT journalists ''when they went on rampage airing all sort of defamatory n

derogatory things about GMB.

whatever happened to professional journalism??

He who gathers ant infested firewood should not complain when ...............

they should go have training on professional journalism n unbiased journalism please..!

29 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by fitzmayowa: 5:33am On Apr 28, 2015
In temitemi's voice: GEJ My Hero, Fayose My Role Model...grin

Make i siddon for corner enojoy the e - fight coming...e-warriors over to you

4 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Nobody: 5:34am On Apr 28, 2015
This Op deserves a dirty slap. The fact that you are a flatty does not mean you should not think straight. What is wrong in restricting a useless TV station form airing ones' event?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by ki02020(m): 5:36am On Apr 28, 2015
OP AIT cannot eat their cakea nd have it at the same the time

2 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by omenka(m): 5:48am On Apr 28, 2015
major466:

You need a lot of education about democracy and th freedom of press in a Presidential system of government. Did i hear you say fox news were professional in their work What is professional about calling someone derogative names Clearly you dont watch fox news.
You are a shameless liar. Can you show us where Fox called Obama a "Monkey" as you wrote up there?? Did you even watch the shameless documentaries replete with barefaced lies that were being aired by AIT?? How come AIT was the only one doing that?? Even the State Tv didn't descend so low. If AIT was so professional, why were they sanctioned by NBC?? Why didn't you scream NBC was trying to stifle press freedom??

Shock indeed. You've not even seen nothing. I hope and pray Baba takes them to court to present proof of all they said he did, including being a sponsor of Boko Haram.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for you to show us where Fox called Obama a monkey.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by omenka(m): 5:53am On Apr 28, 2015
cy4cent:
In as much as I hate the freedom n reportage of the press being whittled down , no one came up

shouting ''journalism of hate n bias '' or ''shameless act of AIT journalists ''when they went on rampage airing all sort of defamatory n

derogatory things about GMB.

whatever happened to professional journalism??

He who gathers ant infested firewood should not complain when ...............

they should go have training on professional journalism n unbiased journalism please..!
Leave them. I'm even hoping they be taken to court to prove all the allegations they made against the General including alleging that he sponsors terrorists. AIT totally crossed the line in their conduct, and when they were at it, these children of anger and hatred were busy applauding them. Now that their actions have started yielding fruits after its kind, they are screaming "press freedom".

The Gentleman doesn't want them covering his activities, period. They can follow Jonathan to his country home to cover his daily activities if they feel so bored.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by not4sure(m): 6:40am On Apr 28, 2015
major466:

The Fox story is quite diifference from that of AIT. While AIT documentary were fully sponsored, FOX's own was investigating Journalism. AIT didn't borthered to do their own research, but FOX did their own. Get this bro, why the documentary was not aired on Channels and other News. I still insist AIT were Lazy and not Professional, in a sane society their licence will be withdraw wait for Tinubu court case and you know there is much more problem on their head

11 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Tradesrunner(m): 6:42am On Apr 28, 2015
ilovecritics:

Your evil agenda for the general wont work
Did buhari close AIT, he just said they should stay away from his residence till issues he had with them are resolve.
That you Taniods and saTanist wont let him be.
Our Baba was right

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by iliyande(m): 6:43am On Apr 28, 2015
nwajoshua:
See goat...wots he doing here..Jonathan allowed sahara reporters.. they infiltrated him and say lies smtimes abt his gvmt but he still tolerated them cos of democracy...do unto others wot ull like others to do to you.

Total lie. How many times Sahara reporters agents were brutalised in this regime? Take lagos one for example. Their camera and phone were siezed and lucked up for unexplained reason.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by leederrty1997: 6:44am On Apr 28, 2015
Please, let's wait and see what he is planning to do, afterall, we know that the man if full of wisdom.

www.wordslap.wapka.mobi
Share the fun of expressing supportive or satrical views (word-slap) on legions of topics, or create your own topic to see thousands of comments. Also win points for word-slapping on topics and creating your own topics. Just sign up with few clicks @ www.wordslap.wapka.mobi
Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by Tradesrunner(m): 6:46am On Apr 28, 2015
ilovecritics:

You are a mistake to our nation. Your evil agenda for the general wont work,
Did buhari close AIT, he just said they should stay away from his residence till issues he had with them are resolve. How did that amount to intimaditing the press
That you Taniods and saTanist wont let him be by spreading propaganda everywhere
Our Baba was right

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. by iliyande(m): 6:48am On Apr 28, 2015
Tradesrunner:

Your evil agenda for the general wont work
Did buhari close AIT, he just said they should stay away from his residence till issues he had with them are resolve.
That you Taniods and saTanist wont let him be.
Our Baba was right

They are continuing the e-war they lost.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Distributes Food Items To Mark Its 56th Anniversary / PDP Rejects Osun Gov Election Result / Army Retires Brigadier-General Olajide Laleye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.