Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Jenifa the. blockbuster - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Jenifa the. blockbuster (17041 Views)

Funke Akindele's Jenifa's Diary Showing On Air On Stv. How Is It? / Alakada Or Jenifa? / Funke Akindele Announces Plans To Release Jenifa 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Ilelobola: 2:53pm On Feb 20, 2009
Someday we will learn to appreciate our own. I can't help but wonder what the critics on this post think of supposedly funny Jim Carey movies. Stop hating, pause and appreciate once in a while, it's good for soul.

Like Chinua Achebe said in a speech he gave on his return to Nigeria earlier this week ,

"Nigerians must "overcome that miseducation that we received under colonial rule, and celebrate our lives".

He believes that Africans must not reject their own culture but look to their past to discover values that will enable Africa to develop now."
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Nobody: 3:04pm On Feb 20, 2009
Please tell them angry
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by ladej(m): 3:05pm On Feb 20, 2009
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster
« #59 on: Today at 01:57:03 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
seriously i think d film is just too over rated.the way people talk about it like it is one all time film annoys me.it is just a normal storyline we ve known over years so what is the fuss.to think that someone is even callin it a blockbuster!, what the heck?
thingy is people ve low taste for quality.the only thing in the film is just the little funny things there thats all.i didnt even watch for 30mins b4 concludin what it would be.let us be more creative plsssss.kudos to tunde kelani and co(i will watch kosegbe,thunderbbolt,toluwanile etc over and over and over, )jenifa ko,lopezi ni

IS YOUR CAREER AS GOOD AS HERS? yes i called it a blockbuster. it sold mad copies.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Shinatu: 3:21pm On Feb 20, 2009
@Elliptical.

You are very right they just denied you the opportunity of enjoying a good movie!

But wait a minute how could they ever pass across all those heavy Ibadan accents in English?

I do not think anyone who does not understand Yoruba would fully enjoy that movie, I do not bother to
tell my non Yoruba friends to watch it.

What makes the Part 1 hilarious is the way Sulia struggled to get along with her accent, every new word she attempted to pronounce made me burst out in Laughter.

I do not normally watch films because I hardly have the time but I had fun with Jennifer and I intend to see it again.

About the message, the message is very clear and necessary  for this generation.

I attended Unilag years back and I can give you examples of lives that were ruined because they wanted to belong!
A girl was caught for drug trafficking on her way to London and her parents had no clue where she was.

Girls from modest backgrounds wore the skimpest of things in School because they wanted to be seen as Sophisticated.
That was the way they understood Sophistication.They detested anything that reminded them of where they came from.

Do you guys who have watched the movie (I do not know if I can call it that, those with Ph D in Film making should  please pardon me) remember the most aggressive of  Jennifer's friends? she was not even a bonafide student of the school! It happens for real, they buy bed spaces at ridiculous prices and turn the Hostels to something else.

I think Funke Akindele has done a great job and I would give her an award if I could.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by PurestBoy(m): 4:29pm On Feb 20, 2009
Funke Akindele is a slowpoke
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by hafees: 4:41pm On Feb 20, 2009
Many people just like to rubbish anything Nigerian, while we do not share the same taste in film and other things which i apreciate, i make bold to say that any one who thinks Jenifa is a bad flick especially putting it on the Nigerian Pedestal standard for films does not know what he/she is doing. Agrred that it is based on a popular theme, with a story line that is not out of this world, we should recognise that the film was able to realise its set out objectives namely: to make people laugh, that anyone can contact HIV aids, that our doings will most usually catch up with us (jenifa's friend who lost potential marriageable men), that free moneys from big men are not free, etc.

While some people may not appreciate the simplicity of the film in its technicalities and stuff, it is not an epic but a low budget film, which was widely appreciated. What i see is a bunch of arm chair/amatuer critics trying to put up a (bougousie) cap.

In all it was a good, funny film, i will want to see again.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Rekky(f): 4:47pm On Feb 20, 2009
The film is the bomb, i watched it and i love it. keep up the good work Funke Akindele. I rate it 10/10 kiss kiss
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by PurestBoy(m): 5:00pm On Feb 20, 2009
Rekky:

The film is the bomb, i watched it and i love it. keep up the good work Funke Akindele. I rate it 10/10 kiss kiss

Kindly modify your post before I call you fool
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by MrCrackles(m): 5:05pm On Feb 20, 2009
PurestBoy:

Kindly modify your post before I call you fool

haba she is entitled to her opinion naw! grin
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by dmola(m): 5:19pm On Feb 20, 2009
raymomd88 hw far nw hw coco
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by TmeD0(m): 5:43pm On Feb 20, 2009
@ agaba, ol' boy, I dey o.  Man no die, man no rotten now.  Wetin dey flow for ya end dia bros?  At any rate, from what I gathered from my sisters, the movie was very funny.  Maybe there was not really a story line to it in the first place but rather to entertain the viewers.  Sha, I just say make I holla at u as e be say e don tey wey man don enter NL sef.  Take am easy man mi.  Peace!
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by KollyJay(m): 7:14pm On Feb 20, 2009
Purestboy or wot the hell u call yourself dude.

Dont just come on here and bang pple like that. I dont see any reason why u shld call funke akindele a slowpoke for creating a very funny movie. Watch the film once u re ready to have a laugh or nice joking time or something, kinda baba ijesa vs mr latin film. thatz all. And u dont need to come in here to call some pple names.

Take the good care of ya self buddy and have a great weekend.

By the way, any one having the link to watch that film online? like to watch it once more,

Sulia kan, ayetoro kan joo, nothing spoil.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by records(f): 7:56pm On Feb 20, 2009
pls d movie is ok
All u haters stop hating
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Grizzly(m): 9:27pm On Feb 20, 2009
havent watched it, dont care less
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by KarmaMod(f): 11:16pm On Feb 20, 2009
I do not think anyone who does not understand Yoruba would fully enjoy that movie, I do not bother to
tell my non Yoruba friends to watch it.

Perhaps you should find friends that know how to read
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by kobikwelu(m): 11:26pm On Feb 20, 2009
i have nothing against the film.

my sisters watched the film and i must say, they all enjoyed it.

a good film, but i must say that the story line is to say the least cliche.( a naive girl come to the city and makes a fool of her self,makes new friends and later blends

i wish it was done in english,  so that the film will have a national spread.

the story line trailed off-typical of nigerian films after the first part.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 20, 2009
Heck!!! How can anyone compare Funke Akindele with Tunde Kelani or Tade Ogidan? Jenifa was and remains a good film despite its flaws . Now people like to talk about over flogged story lines please spare me this BS line, isn't hollywood/ Bollywood ridiculously guilty too? Some people sha grin na wa o
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by mayordee(m): 12:37am On Feb 21, 2009
Tell them
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by nike4luv(f): 1:05am On Feb 21, 2009
suliah kan, ayetoro kan grin
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by hunniebomb(f): 5:10am On Feb 21, 2009
part one of the movie really sucked, i was sooooo angry at myself for wasting time watching it. part 2 was soo much better.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Obamaa: 6:11am On Feb 21, 2009
RAYMOND,
    Can u send me d site where u watched d movie.
    Send it here:barack_obamaa@live.com
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by UgoJnr: 10:24am On Feb 21, 2009
I really liked the movie. Found it to be funny and informative
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by ayexel: 12:03pm On Feb 21, 2009
@tommyvex u ' v got the best comment on the movie, despite all ther flaws, the movie is being appreciatted by many people
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by theboy0808(m): 1:48pm On Feb 21, 2009
Saw it, liked it, rated it. 8.5 out of 10
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by donugapi(m): 1:54pm On Feb 21, 2009
Whether the movie is good or not should not be imposed on others. Different people have their different opinions on the same movies. If you're a comedy lover, understand the accent and what they were trying to bring out from the movie. Yes the quality was crap, but the movie made me laugh hard even though I'm not yoruba. Whether you guys like it or not, the movie has made the girl a very popular household name and would have fetched her loads of cash (cos i heard she did the movie herself, please correct me if i'm wrong). I'm too sure people wouldn't even know her real name and when she walks on the street people would be shouting Jenifa and hailing her. So whether the movie was good or bad, that doesn't matter any more cos d babe is enjoying her cash!!!
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by wycleaftic: 2:15pm On Feb 21, 2009
Hey Raymond88
I remember in 1995 and I was at a friends house and they were watching a yoruba film and Ireti (a yoruba film actress) was digitally doubled and they all said she has a twin just because they saw two of her on the same screen. you know like they did in dangerous twins with ramsey noah. i told them that it was a film trick they argued with me that its not possible that she must have had a twin sister. you know i didnt win the argument then. now its a well known thing to every nigerian that is possible to show the same person talking to himself on tv.

so now when people are shouting jenifa! jenifa! i know letting them know that its a bad film is a no win battle so i give up.

what many dont know now they will know soon when new wave film maker emerge and let them know that we can make better stuff. we will send packing those rubbish film makers who let foreigners laugh at us. you should be in south africa to see how they make jest of our film.

i respect nigerian film makers for taking the chance to carve a niche for themselves and let the world know that they can make cheap films but the fact still remains that our films are poor quality. but its sad that our people taste is so bastardized that they dont even know good stuff again.

what hilarious in "suliat kan ayetoro kan" are we getting 'funkier' or getting more 'razz' in naija?

hello lets not be so naive bishop. U dnt expect nigeria actors and directors to be of same standard with that of their western counterpart even if they have to travell to hollywood for training. we will have to still go native which is rooted in our culture. U might be concerned about the aesthetic elements of movie production that pof sound, light, motion and the rest but if you are talking about the concept, i must say thoughits not a new concept, it still have a unique touch. so lets be objective in our critisism and not a detractor. lets embrasse our cultuer and be proud of it in our movie. Thoughi dtest most of our movie, i still appraise nigeria nollywood for the giant stride they have made in securing the third position in the world. What else can u say? be nigeria and stop complaining irrationally.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Phlota(f): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2009
A'ight, i gues we ar al enbtitled 2 our opinions. the movie is very gud, depends on hw u luk at it. Funke Akindele, ride on gurl, Suliat kan, Ayetoro kan.
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by diyobdw(f): 2:40pm On Feb 21, 2009
I believe the message and humor mix in Jenifer became disjointed especially towards the end.
but if i were to rate this movies against the nollywood movies it will score above 80%. (storyline,message and acting!)

Guess one needs to understand Yoruba language (better still the local- one she was speaking), the "big girl syndrome or complex" in our UNI.s or have a "gbogbo bigs girl" wannabe around to appreciate it smiley

For or against? definitely for cheesy!
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by ayobase(m): 2:59pm On Feb 21, 2009
CRITICS!!!!
U na don come here again?
U will never appreciate anything
called atleast-it-worth-being-praised.

Im sorry to say this, but it is the truth
I find it difficult to sit and watch English Movies
cos they are full of CRAPS,

Yoruba movies?
Hmmmm,no matter what the loopholes are,
I still enjoy them!!!!

English movies these days could be so boring and humiliating
I only watch when I am being convinced to,only smashing ones.

Jenifa? Yes, it might not be a blockbuster
want to ask u a question the CRITICS.
what is a movie all about?

No wonder some says P-Square,Timaya&Co are
better then Asa and 9ice.

Get the message and forget about the poor sounds,
poor visuals, Boom mic appearance, and whatever mistake!!!!

Jenifa? The girl has really tried, a new actress for that matter,
tough she was in "I NEED TO KNOW
what she needs is encouragement and not ur bad belle.

Case closed!!!!!
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by UNLEASHED(m): 4:36pm On Feb 21, 2009
Tell them
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by olu4life(m): 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2009
Nawa 4 u guys, i personally dont like watching nigerian movies due to their stupid love stories. But i tell u Jenifa is da bomb, dis will be the first time i will be appreciating nigerian movies. Men, u critizers mak una go sleep,i guess u guys arent yoruba boys dats y u critize the fuilm.

Incase u dont kno, Jenifa was given the best actor not actress o (both male and female) for her outstanding performance in Jenifa, u critizers gats 2 belongs.

Gbogbo bigs gals and boys i hail o, c ya, cash ya, later. a maa see saw at the forum. lol. U gats 2 b bigs
Re: Jenifa the. blockbuster by Jarus(m): 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2009
KarmaMod (f)
NY

Jarus is definitely not the type one would ever invite to a party. Talk about a humorless party pooper
Just because I hold a different opinion on Jenifa, you resorted to name calling. Some people sha angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Should Adults Play School Children Roles In Nollywood Movies? / BBNaija: Frodd Wins Head Of House / Genevieve Nnaji 'Lionheart' Toronto Premiere Tickets Sold Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.