Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,355 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! (14369 Views)

'I Sold My Soul To Satan So What? I Don't Want No Heaven' - Nigerian Lady Shocks / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 5:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
plaetton:

No sir.

The greater vacuum is in believing that you need to believe in ridiculous , contradicting myths to be a wholesome human being .

The Question is; Was there really any vacuum? or just an imaginary one created so you would require an imaginary vacuum filler

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by plaetton: 5:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
Dear Op.

I am beginning to consider that certain special breeds of people are naturally impervious to the bullshytes of religion, and sooner or later, their active minds begin to agitate for answers, no matter how long it had been held captive.

Congratulations, your awakening has come.

Now, it is very very important to remind you that it does not at all matter whether you call yourself atheist or whatever. That is just a label. Do not be obsessed with labelling .
Your newly won mental sovereignty is what is important.
Don't be too hasty to decide whether god exists or not. That is besides the point. You have your whole life to ponder, contemplate and study the mechanics of the universe.

Atheism is not a rebellion.
It is also not a decision that one makes.
It is a realization first, then a gradual acceptance of the sum of your knowledge and experience and thought processes.

The only things that you focus on is seeking factual truths.

A thinking human being should be able to stand firm in truth, even before god, if he exists at all.

Only little minds would fear punishment for merely refusing to believe in myths that are not anchored on scientific facts.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by plaetton: 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

The Question is; Was there really any vacuum? or just an imaginary one created so you would require an imaginary vacuum filler

Vacuum filler indeed.
grin

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by onetrack(m): 5:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
jude2011:
I don't know what to do. Can I acknowledge the existence of God without practicing any religion? My question is ''can I believe in GOD and not practice any religion?''. If yes, what is the term called. Secondely, Can an atheist go to church and pretend as if he believes in the bible? Thanks

Someone who believes in a passive, uninvolved god and who does not have a religion is called a 'deist'. There are some out there. 'Pantheist' is another type of belief in a god without religion. In this case they believe that the universe and god are essentially one and the same.

I personally am agnostic atheist; I don't believe in any god but i cannot prove that there are no gods. But certainly all religions are man-made and have quite a bit of nonsense.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 5:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
onetrack:

Someone who believes in a passive, uninvolved god and who does not have a religion is called a 'deist'. There are some out there. 'Pantheist' is another type of belief in a god without religion. In this case they believe that the universe and god are essentially one and the same.

I personally am agnostic atheist; I don't believe in any god but i cannot prove that there are no gods. But certainly all religions are man-made and have quite a bit of nonsense.
Pantheism is a more of "All is God and God is all (everything that exist)" so its not a belief in a personal god it is a form referring to the universe as God. . . in this case, the noun God just connotes the universe...
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
plaetton:

What proof, what other earth-shattering proof would your so-called erudite theologians offer this hungry mind ?
More fear, more guilt, more threats of hellfire ?

Fear and guilt are the primary currencies of the religious stock exchange, whether it comes from circus clowns, con-pastors , pedophile catholic priests or your so-called erudite theologians.

The OP stated clearly he had no wish to become an atheist. He seeks a buttressing of his religious grounds. Even though I do not subscribe to any religion I feel one should be sensitive to the religious leanings of others, not everyone is ready enough or sufficiently irreverent enough to take the great leap into the religious void and great empyrean that is atheism. Above all OP should remember the adage, "Unto thine own self, be true"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
If a perfect god with the ability to create a perfect world exists and has desire for you to be in a perfect world, you would have been there already.

He wouldn't need to run a bizarre incredible cruel test- the result to which he by definition must have known already (omniscient)

Best comment I've read in NL till date.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by plaetton: 6:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Sarassin:

The OP stated clearly he had no wish to become an atheist. He seeks a buttressing of his religious grounds. Even though I do not subscribe to any religion I feel one should be sensitive to the religious leanings of others, not everyone is ready enough or sufficiently irreverent enough to take the great leap into the religious void and great empyrean that is atheism. Above all OP should remember the adage, "Unto thine own self, be true"

Ok.
Read clearly that I advised him not to obsess himself with the atheism or any labels, but to focus on his hunger knowledge and truth.

Its rather funny that you call atheism a void.
That's a bit laughable ignorant.
How can there be void when he has now availed himself of new vistas of learning, a universe enriched with learning without doubts and fear ?
How can someone who just escaped the tiny confines of his dark closet to discover that his closet is a small part of a big house, which itself is a small house in a broad street be afraid of a void ?

Your statement implies and confirms my earlier statement in the same post that fear and forboding are the primary curries of Religious belief.
Ironically, this is what the young lad has freed himself from.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jun 21, 2015
plaetton:

Ok.
Read clearly that I advised him not to obsess himself with the atheism or any labels, but to focus on his hunger knowledge and truth.

Its rather funny that you call atheism a void.
That's a bit laughable ignorant.
How can there be void when he has now availed himself of new vistas of learning, a universe enriched with learning without doubts and fear ?
How can someone who just escaped the tiny confines of his dark closet to discover that his closet is a small part of a big house, which itself is a small house in a broad street be afraid of a void ?

Your statement implies and confirms my earlier statement in the same post that fear and forboding are the primary curries of Religious belief.
Ironically, this is what the young lad has freed himself from.

Perhaps in your haste to pick my post apart you didn't read it clearly. The term I used was "religious void". If you disagree that atheism is a religious void, then lets hear it. Other than that there's nothing else to discuss.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by jude2011: 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2015
I am afraid that I will be discriminated against if I tell people that I don't believe in the gospel of christ. My family, my friends and classmates will see me as a demon. I got the hint when a boy in a general phylosophy class, asked a question that implied he probably does not believe in God. After the class, you need to see how people descended on this guy. Girls rained insults on him. He was called all sort of names including devil, lucifer and ape.
In the east where I school(UN,Nsukka), being a christain is the norm. I have tried to read the bible without doubting it but the more I read, the more I see contradiction and tales that are not possible. I decided to read the bible again from genesis to revelation to deepen my understanding of the scriptures. The first thing I noticed were that men once lived 500 years and above. Methuselah lived for 969 years, Jesus!! There is no way a man can live for even 300 years. Haba!

I think the devil has possessed my mind. I only see negative parts of the bible whenever I open it. He takes me straight to the parts that I will doubt and give me reasons why I should doubt that part.

I regret the day I met that atheist. He is a final year student on first class and on numerous scholarships. I only went to him for academic advice. He gave me life-changing inspirational and motivation advice about academics,religion and society. He is such a brilliant fellow that I can never forget. But he has sent me on a journey of no return(being a christain again).

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 6:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
Sarassin:

Perhaps in your haste to pick my post apart you didn't read it clearly. The term I used was "religious void". If you disagree that atheism is a religious void, then lets hear it. Other than that there's nothing else to discuss.
Quite agree with that statement, but yet again that void necessarily should be as a result of- as in the case of the Op when religion was a norm to him. . But in a case when someone is never was religious i don't think any void can be said to be present.

You know atheism as religious void can be related to someone referring to a formal habit (good/bad) as a void but these void necessarily don't have to be filled when basically it can be referred to a void created in the mind.

I understand your premise bro
Maybe plaetton misunderstood your usage of the word "void" i think maybe "absence" may have sufficed
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by nynbrada: 6:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
plaetton:

What proof, what other earth-shattering proof would your so-called erudite theologians offer this hungry mind ?
More fear, more guilt, more threats of hellfire ?

Fear and guilt are the primary currencies of the religious stock exchange, whether it comes from circus clowns, con-pastors , pedophile catholic priests or your so-called erudite theologians.
Mr Atheist wouldn't it be helpful if u just give us d source of your facts on all these pressumeteuos claims that you are making.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 6:48pm On Jun 21, 2015
jude2011:
I am afraid that I will be discriminated against if I tell people that I don't believe in the gospel of christ. My family, my friends and classmates will see me as a demon. I got the hint when a boy in a general phylosophy class, asked a question that implied he probably does not believe in God. After the class, you need to see how people descended on this guy. Girls rained insults on him. He was called all sort of names including devil, lucifer and ape.
In the east where I school(UN,Nsukka), being a christain is the norm. I have tried to read the bible without doubting it but the more I read, the more I see contradiction and tales that are not possible. I decided to read the bible again from genesis to revelation to deepen my understanding of the scriptures. The first thing I noticed were that men once lived 500 years and above. Methuselah lived for 969 years, Jesus!! There is no way a man can live for even 300 years. Haba!

I think the devil has possessed my mind. I only see negative parts of the bible whenever I open it. He takes me straight to the parts that I will doubt and give me reasons why I should doubt that part.

I regret the day I met that atheist. He is a final year student on first class and on numerous scholarships. I only went to him for academic advice. He gave me life-changing inspirational and motivation advice about academics,religion and society. He is such a brilliant fellow that I can never forget. But he has sent me on a journey of no return(being a christain again).

Nnam no demon possessed you ooo, it is just conflicts of knowledge, reason and belief. . . And for the record if you fear discrimination, you necessarily need not let anybody know your stance . . . Anyway i stay in Enugu town, you can hit me up if you happen to enter town at least we can talk over some beers where you can say your mind and not fear discrimination

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
finofaya:
There are other religious books you can substitute the bible with. You can even be a deist or pantheist if you want. There is a world of difference between "the bible is wrong" and "there is no God". Don't confuse the two.

Then educate us on such books. Why would you decide to keep such a "brilliant" book, if you have found it, from us. Or are you scared we might pick holes in such book also? My guess is the book tweaked the stories of other mystical books to make it sound right to the modern man. We are waiting on you.

3 Shares

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by plaetton: 7:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Quite agree with that statement, but yet again that void necessarily should be as a result of- as in the case of the Op when religion was a norm to him. . But in a case when someone is never was religious i don't think any void can be said to be present.

You know atheism as religious void can be related to someone referring to a formal habit (good/bad) as a void but these void necessarily don't have to be filled when basically it can be referred to a void created in the mind.

Maybe plaetton misunderstood your usage of the word "void" i think maybe "absence" may have sufficed

I did understand him. But I think he used the word void in the wrong context.

Remember, the op is not being suddenly forced to abandon his religious beliefs. He is gradually dismantling it all by himself.
That only happens when he replaces myths and fables with facts. There cant's be a void because he is substituting long held myths and fables with real fathomable facts. He is casting away beliefs that are incongruent to his newly discovered reality.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by jude2011: 7:08pm On Jun 21, 2015
@jonnydon. I am a UNEC student. I stay in enugu campus. Which part of enugu do you stay because I will love to me you someday.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 7:09pm On Jun 21, 2015
theAtheist101:

Then educate us on such books. Why would decide to keep such a "brilliant" book, if you have found it, from us. Or are you scared we might pick holes in such book also? My guess is the book tweaked the stories of other mystical books to make it sound right to the modern man.

The oldest known religious texts are the Pyramid Texts of Ancient Egypt
that date to 2400-2300 BCE.

The earliest form of the Phoenician alphabet found to date is the inscription on the sarcophagus of King Ahiram of
Byblos (The Sumerian Temple Hymns) circa 1000 BCE.

[1] The Epic of Gilgamesh from Sumer , with origins as early as 2150-2000 BCE, [2] :41–42 is also one of the earliest literary works that includes various mythological
figures.

[2] :41–42 The Rigveda of Hinduism is proposed to have been
composed between 1700–1100 BCE [3] making it possibly the world's
oldest religious text still in use.

The oldest portions of the Zoroastrian Avesta are believed to have been transmitted orally for centuries before
they found written form, and although widely differing dates for Gathic
Avestan have been proposed, scholarly consensus floats at around 1000 -
600 BCE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/?title=Religious_text the jewish torah formulated around 450BC still na small pikin to these other religious books cool

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 7:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
jude2011:
@jonnydon. I am a UNEC student. I stay in enugu campus. Which part of enugu do you stay because I will love to me you someday.

Unec is very close naa. . am in abakpa. . are you on BBM?
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by finofaya: 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
theAtheist101:

Then educate us on such books. Why would decide to keep such a "brilliant" book, if you have found it, from us. Or are you scared we might pick holes in such book also? My guess is the book tweaked the stories of other mystical books to make it sound right to the modern man. We are waiting on you.

Lol. There is a list on Wikipedia. I'm merely telling the OP that he has lots of options; it's not just between Christianity and Atheism.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 21, 2015
jude2011:

My advice is very simple: go to any theist cult/movement you know and tell them to deliver you from your doubts, and make sure you practise any cleansing process they require of you.

Later wait for 1 week and see if your doubts would have been cleared or, perhaps, god would have revealed himself to you. My guess is that nothing positive would emanate from your strives.

Most theists have their doubts also, but many of them are always scared to ponder on those thoughts. And many know the truth, but are just scared of change. Free your mind, so it can be used for more productive things that would enrich you and your society, at large. Note: you need not to tell everyone Segan and Amaka that you are an atheist.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

The oldest known religious texts are the Pyramid Texts of Ancient Egypt
that date to 2400-2300 BCE.

The earliest form of the Phoenician alphabet found to date is the inscription on the sarcophagus of King Ahiram of
Byblos (The Sumerian Temple Hymns) circa 1000 BCE.

[1] The Epic of Gilgamesh from Sumer , with origins as early as 2150-2000 BCE, [2] :41–42 is also one of the earliest literary works that includes various mythological
figures.

[2] :41–42 The Rigveda of Hinduism is proposed to have been
composed between 1700–1100 BCE [3] making it possibly the world's
oldest religious text still in use.

The oldest portions of the Zoroastrian Avesta are believed to have been transmitted orally for centuries before
they found written form, and although widely differing dates for Gathic
Avestan have been proposed, scholarly consensus floats at around 1000 -
600 BCE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/?title=Religious_text the jewish torah formulated around 450BC still na small pikin to these other religious books cool

There are now new ones like the Grail Message, and so on, that have been written to conform with the science of its time. These sects/cults/movements are what most people that are displeased with conventional religions run to. And, since many people don't know the content of their books, it always hard to criticise them. But, I know it would soon be tgeir turn as they grow into monsters that popular religions have grown into. No lie can last forever! .
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
finofaya:

Lol. There is a list on Wikipedia. I'm merely telling the OP that he has lots of options; it's not just between Christianity and Atheism.

Are you a theist? If yes, Which one of the books have you read? Just prescribe it to us, so we can dissect it/them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
johnydon22:

I do agree with you. And perhaps I should have clarified that the void would be as a result of the absence of a religion a former adherent would have been used to, and lets face it, most people turning to atheism would be turning their backs on one religion or the other. The context of my usage of the term with respect to the OP was quite clear.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by johnydon22(m): 7:56pm On Jun 21, 2015
Sarassin:

I do agree with you. And perhaps I should have clarified that the void would be as a result of the absence of a religion a former adherent would have been used to, and lets face it, most people turning to atheism would be turning their backs on one religion or the other. The context of my usage of the term with respect to the OP was quite clear.

Yeap thats why i said i understand you
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by UyiIredia(m): 8:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
jude2011:
I spoke with an atheist last month. I thought this guy was a demon but after my discussion with him, I was forced to have a rethink. He was brilliant,confident and argued with reasons. I have asked many christian brothers and even my pastor about the questions he raised. . . . . I NEED HELP, I DON'T WANT TO BE AN ATHEIST.

Did you research Christian responses to the atheists ? Did you read Christian books defending the faith ? Did you check how Christians apologists responded to claims of contradiction ? You might want to do that before coming to a final conclusion. I'm surprised you are impressed by atheists arguments because some of their arguments are naïve or just plain ignorant. State the arguments of atheists you find impressive and I MAY respond to them. Finally, even supposing you still doubt religion, deism is a preferable option to atheism.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by UyiIredia(m): 8:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
onetrack:

Pantheism is not a belief in God. Saying God is the universe ignores the fact that God is known as the Creator of the universe.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by UyiIredia(m): 8:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
ITbomb:
One thing I understand about Atheist is that they take irrelevant story and try to analyze logically.
The greatest vacuum that you will create for yourself is when you assume that there is no good.
Look beyond the frailty of the church but focus on the consciousness of the spirit of God in you

What lack of p*ssy can do to a man.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by finofaya: 9:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
theAtheist101:

Are you a theist? If yes, Which one of the books have you read? Just prescribe it to us, so we can dissect it/them.

I'm not a theist. You can try dissecting deism though.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 21, 2015
finofaya:

I'm not a theist. You can try dissecting deism though.

Why would a god with coc.k refuse to fuvk?
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by finofaya: 9:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
theAtheist101:

Why would a god with coc.k refuse to fuvk?

He's omniscient. The experience of every bang is his.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 21, 2015
finofaya:

He's omniscient. The experience of every bang is his.

And how do you know this? He is capable of producing a bang, but refuses to take responsibilities that arose? Then what does he know? You make him look like a sadist! Answer all questions posed to you.
Re: I Need Help, I Don't Want To Be An Atheist!!!! by finofaya: 9:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
theAtheist101:

And how do you know this? He is capable of producing a bang, but refuses to take responsibilities that arose? Then what does he know? You make him look like a sadist! Answer all questions posed to you.

Wait. Which God are we talking about?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Your Wife Must Eat First Before You Eat" - Prophetess Patience Obi To Men / Sometimes We Think There Will Be No More Nigeria But It Keeps Standing — Adeboye / A Testimony Of The Spiritual Realm(1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.