Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,465 members, 7,812,425 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands (60791 Views)

Angry Bus Drivers Block Benin-Lagos Road Over The Killing Of A Conductor (Pics) / Plane Carrying Brazilian Footballers Crashes In Colombia, Killing 25 People / Emirates Explains Credit Card Policy Demands For Nigerians Travelling To Brazil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 09, 2015
kokobi99:

15 dollar per hour is not up to 6k per month even if you work full time. Some people can lie eeh

Sorry.
You can believe what you wanna believe
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ladkud(m): 6:45am On Jul 09, 2015
From my own opinion try to adjust yourself, I would not say abandon them like that because there is an adage that says; because of ten poor people we created one rich person. It is good to be kind to people no matter your relationship with them. Moreover this can be a test from God to see whether if he give you more that what you have presently how will you do. If you are doing good with good intention I swear you will never regret it, not only you alone us going reap the fruit of the kindness but, your children, grand children and great grand children. Remember "the hand if the giver always on top". Look if you are not giving them, saving all what you are earning you will still not contented with it. what you spend in charity is your own hereafter but what you keep is not yours. If you die ( which will not be your portion now) your money another person even your wife will become another person own. My guy if person ask 100 from give him/her 50 do your best and live the rest and see where God will pay you back.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by sweatlana: 6:47am On Jul 09, 2015
MY BROTHER DO WHAT YOU CAN AND LEAVE THE REST!

My husband and I are facing the same problem.

When my husband was jobless roaming the streets of ph looking for a job, so many times unsuccessfully, with an MBA my husband resorted to painting job just to survive!
He would go to different construction sites asking if they need a painter.

Today God has blessed us.

Tell those people there is something they can do instead of being professional beggars.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by menxer: 6:48am On Jul 09, 2015
StOla:
Guy! Welcome to Nigeria.

I don't even reply most whatsapp and facebook chats any more. They now lay in wait for me to come online then they attack, knowing you must acknowledge their presence.

I can write an epistle on this topic.
I'm resident in Nigeria so this is even rampant with those with higher earning power within Nigeria. I get to travel a lot, but the internet banking facilities have ensured I keep making expenditures on behalf of other people.

I'm getting really frustrated with always having to promise a portion of my future salary to help a friend or the other. These locusts, coupled with my own economic pursuits, have ensured I barely have enough cash before the next pay check.

The demands never stop. Ranging from the very important to mundane stuff like a jobless man planning a wedding with expenses that rival a society wedding.
So I begin to wonder if people can't just cut their coat according to their cloth.

I have contemplated a change of mobile line, but I'll be losing a lot of contacts who must reach me in the course of my job.

It's a rather sad situation, that requires both financial empowerment of the needy, and social orientation on being self reliant - a trait that is not very African/Nigerian.

I hope Dangote and Adenuga can continue from where I must be stopping. This matter pass my power. I am not Jesus Christ, I can't help everyone I would like too.

I have my own needs too, and dreams to pursue. I also suspect most of these beneficiaries of my magnanimity would not do the same if roles were reversed.

You never chin chom ching!

that's a trait I am yet to find a way to side step in people without seeming arrogant, proud because I earn an income.

the pressure to give is everywhere... nobody is interested if you are saving for or making any worthwhile investment

una no wan drop the bomb, abi? make I drop am, una no mention church matter: "giving till it hurts"?

PS:
Do you know how I rationalize when my giving hurts me?
that that is the reason God blessed me with the money at that moment to give... grin
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by doskie(m): 6:49am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Each month I send nearly 3k to Nigeria and they keep asking for more.

Do they think I pluck money from trees in America?
Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Please advise on how to handle this, Naija style grin grin. Thanks
if ure thinking we give a flying phuck about america here, wake up man! phuck yall and your gay infested zone.

jew man. you dey show yourself abi?

3 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by slap1(m): 6:50am On Jul 09, 2015
I was in a similar issue, although it was far lesser as I'm not yet rich, but I always try to help people when they come...then I learnt to say "No, it's not possible. I don't think it will work."
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by PassingShot(m): 6:52am On Jul 09, 2015
sultaan:
Apparently PhD is not given for common sense if you take on their problem it is your problem so there is no need for them to solve it anymore.

Don't log in to Facebook for 3 months the block all calls from Nigeria for 3 months by then your senses would have adjusted to you being responsible to your family they all won't die in 3 months they will have to understand where their lives are if you are incapacitated for extended period. Wean them of free milk and honey.

No insult intended

With your first line, you spoke my mind.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by tpascal: 6:55am On Jul 09, 2015
You should be grateful to God that He is using you to answer some people's prayer.
The fact that you have a good job does not mean that you are the most intelligent or the most righteous.
Continue being nice, for your own sake and for your children's sake too.
Have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by slap1(m): 6:55am On Jul 09, 2015
Jarus:

Lol @ this strategy.

Makes sense.

I'm not so good at saying NO too. What I do is ignore. I hardly pick calls, don't reply facebook PM etc.

As a young man that justed started working in Lagos years back, my father xmas disposition landed me in serious financial crisis.

Now, other than my parents, a couple of siblings,family members once in a while, I no dey share money anyhow again o

I don't even pick calls, as I know 90% of calls from certain people are to ask for money which I find difficult to turn down.

This doesn't however mean I don't give. I actually do, probably more than an average person, but I've become very selective.

I strongly believe "it took a whole village to raise a child" so that child must give back to the "village" (I.e family). As a student in school, I know how I also taxed my brothers and uncles.
True... Chairman, e don te small o.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Pamelayoung: 6:58am On Jul 09, 2015
You must be a very generous n sensitive person just like me. Can I be ur frnd too?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 09, 2015
Givers never lack. God gives you so much without complaining,yet you are busy complaining about the stipend you dolled to folks.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 7:03am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry
...pls,stop this trumpet blowing and craps...
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by ikbnice(m): 7:03am On Jul 09, 2015
Sun Tzu once said, 'you can die of someone else misery'. I want to tell you that most of them arent poor for asking you for help, they just see it as an opportunity. And since you send down money without ceasing,who are they not to believe you arent picking money in the U.S.

Cut off the means of communications and open a new channel for selected few.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by StOla: 7:06am On Jul 09, 2015
jasmines:
StOla astrodome

I could write an epistle here too. Think over this, if you say yes to everything and everybody, you will say yes to the devil and poverty.
Here's how I handle mine.
Every month, I divide my earnings in %s,
10% is for Charity, when ppl come to me for money I give to 1st come/the most desperate case, the rest must wait till next month. Even if the sky in their village is falling, they must hold it with a bamboo till next month. Then those I'm giving, I tell them I cant dash them the money and they must payback, within 3 - 6months max (just a trick cus I know 80% won't pay back). All those who don't pay back have never received more than 10k after that from me. I tell them point blank that I can't loan them more cus they weren't faithful in d last one. I dont make enemies, I don't spend stupidly.

Meanwhile do u know that $3,000 can get u a nice plot in Lagos every month?

The problem is posting their demands till the next month.

I have made expenses of over N500K to benefit others just this month because I got some allowances. For this reason I was unable to service a debt of N200K that I owe.

Thinking I was done with magnanimity for the month, another dude had to source me out from no where telling me all his life issues. Obviously I wasn't liquid enough, guess what? I had to promise a token from my next pay check I'm yet to earn.

When will my next pay check come with all the money belonging to me? A lot is already shared to the needy before you even earn it.
I just deprive myself of all the good stuff I should have, so as to care for others.

Sometimes I want to cry. It is really depressing at times.

I barely like comments or pictures on social media anymore. It only puts me back in the consciousness of those I would rather they forget about me.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by gdguy: 7:08am On Jul 09, 2015
Bros, you're not alone on this. Almost everyone else who is doing well does. You don't have to bother yourself too much. Try to recognise giving that is compulsory and that which is not. You have to give to your parents no doubt, and give your tithe. Apart from these, any others are optional. You need to be mindful how you project yourself also before others. Finally, remember not to start what you cannot finish.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by oluezekiel(m): 7:08am On Jul 09, 2015
tabletman1:
Tell them you've lost your job and you're now a plate washer.

These people asking you for money will be the same people to blame you for being a useless and careless person if you come back to Nigeria without a solid investment|money[b].

The op should just think of the above....same people would blame you if you don't have savings/investment.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Votukpa(m): 7:09am On Jul 09, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Carry cocaine to indonesia, if u want to end it once and for all.

Hey Jerk...be constructive... And all 251 who liked ur post, grow up dummies.

Dude needs helpful counsel.

@OP
Tell most of them no.
Help few whom u rightly judge their neediness
JYST SAY NO

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by slap1(m): 7:11am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

Was a research scientist until early last year. Read that post more carefully. Now an industry employee where I get well paid for a good job. Why am I explaining this anyway?
Did you tell your relatives you mow have a bigger job?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Tabelachizza(f): 7:18am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
I just dropped the phone a few minutes ago after speaking with one of these old friends, got very angry after telling me he lives in Adamawa (Boko Haram) and needs money to relocate to his state of origin. This coming after I sent $700, respectively to a sister and a sister-inlaw this am

Dem wan kill me? cry cry cry cry cry cry

Obu ife Anyi Ga-eri Ka mmadu nuru gi ife biko***

you are over stretching the matter Abeg
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by jasmines(f): 7:18am On Jul 09, 2015
jaybee3:

Able to send me details via PM?

will do that
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Ashmark(m): 7:23am On Jul 09, 2015
caprini1:
in summary,you can't give what u don't have! Read one thread I posted,I gave a couple 300k for their rent since 2011 ,they've not paid me back,so I don't lend out monies,I can't let go anymore.........when we were in school,our parent pay our fess and bills ,convenient or not and they don't complain,because of love,giving should be out of love and not social status!

The 300k that you gave out was out of love except if it Pride sha which I don't know.

You can't really complain when you borrow somebody 300k at once but when that 300k is shared among 15 different people calling you consecutively to borrow money within just week. There is on how you won't complain within yourself, just that you may not make it public like OP.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

Seriously? You want to add to my woes? I rather you advise me here, openly grin grin grin
maybe you caused it...how? By posting personal contents of fb..i.e vacation pix,things abt your lifestyle etc...
#moneybag,everyone want to get their goodybag.
Keep helping those you feel are helpless and not d bonus seeking folks
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by GENTLETEE(m): 7:28am On Jul 09, 2015
They believe that u are can afford it so begin to diasbuse their mind and be polite in your refusal.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by richiepolymer(m): 7:30am On Jul 09, 2015
How did this post make FP? angry Is there anything to learn from it?
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by jasmines(f): 7:32am On Jul 09, 2015
StOla:

The problem is posting their demands till the next month.

I have made expenses of over N500K to benefit others just this month because I got some allowances. For this reason I was unable to service a debt of N200K that I owe..

My bro it is well.....
All these are stories, d bible says that strong men keeps riches, you aren't strong willed, you will be poor?
For how long will you keep being the beast of burden to others?

One easy way is to get someone who is principled and get them to go to that person to seek approval before you give.

Dont you have children? Dont you want to leave a legacy for them?
Giving all you have is out-rightly WRONG!!! Promising your future pay check is purely STUPID!!!
Sorry if I sound rude but I am angry reading this.

Another way too is to get the money, put it in an escrow acct or with someone you trust, come rain, come sunshine, the money isn't coming out till you provide a legitimate need you own.

Listen to yourself, Giving 500k, yet you have a debt of 200k.
My father was like you, a real father xmas, ppl used to wake us up from sleep with unending stories that touch the heart, now he's late but do you know that when he died, the only thing we received was a mockery loaf of bread. Our house became as quiet as a graveyard, nobody comes anymore, they didn't even attend his funeral, they said he was a secret sinner, and God has punished him cus his money couldn't have been pure.

I can keep telling you stories. You need to think of yourself first.
Go and keep your cars somewhere safe for 3months, move your family to your wive's parents place, put a quit notice on your door and call them to help you out with house rent and see how fast they'll leave you.

I better stop here

4 Likes

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by dollarlander: 7:32am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:
Help!! Friends, family, former school mates and others are killing me with financial demands. Everyday I receive facebook (fb) messages, phone calls, email messages and messages from other communication avenues from family members, friends close and distant, school mates I have not seen in 20 years but with whom I reconnected on fb, and even random fb friends (meaning I do not know them personally but somehow we managed to be friends on fb). They all have the same story: please send me money, anything.

Do they think every Nigerian in America is doing drugs or credit card fraud to make money?
Are they thinking that since Akin or Emeka made it in America (in many cases by selling drugs and doing credit card fraud), I should also make it and therefore be able to satisfy their unending demands?

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to college.

I am able to resist the random fb friends because I do not have any personal connection with them, but how do I scare the ones I know off without sounding rude and unhelping? I know that when you stop giving, you become an enemy.
Help! Before a fellow nairalander runs amock on the streets of America because of pressure from Nigeria cry cry cry cry

Just for disclosure: I am well-heeled in the US mid-upper middle class, earning a 6-figure pay, holds a PhD, and involved in R4D activities. But I live in a US city (name withheld) where mortgage payment alone takes 25% of my monthly income. So you can imagine that after paying all bills, I do not have tons of money left over to give out on frequent basis.

Hello brother. If what you wrote here is real and you did not make it up, I think I have advice for you.

Identify the ones who are your real family members. I mean the nuclear family in which you grew before you have you own nuclear family. Anybody there that needs your help and it is within your capacity, please do.

You will be surprised that those you are giving money have more savings than you, if you tell them you don't have savings they will tell you to manage your finance very well because they also save from the ones you give them.

Once a while, you can go out to help those in the extended family that you know they really need your help. If things go wrong with you, those you spray your money on will be the one to mock you. They will tell you you are stingy, because the 3k you sent to them is not even enough for them. What they want is for you to bring your income and share everything with them.

And also, things are not too difficult in Nigeria unless for those who are lazy. Also be very careful those you are connecting to on FB are not scams.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by otunbadan(m): 7:36am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

You mean I should send myself to my death (for that is the reward for drug trafficking in Indonesia) to avoid them?

Can't you just say, No,i don't have that now. Truly you are nice to be really bothered by many people's problems but you are not God. Say no more often.
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by HRich(m): 7:36am On Jul 09, 2015
I came to read if you are a new elected governor. I never know is one pride dick head who just came out Jail in America.

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by debagsy: 7:38am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

Its very simple, apart from your parents and your siblings (to an extent) you dont owe any other person any obligation, so just say NO. By the time they ask and you dont give repeatedly they will know you no be mugu again....... you cant give what you dont have

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by lexy2014: 7:41am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

And who will be my new friends on the new fb page? Those ones will not ask for help?
so u are still looking 4 friends? U are not serious. Go sit down on top maggi

1 Like

Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by fF01(m): 7:42am On Jul 09, 2015
astrodome:

How do I explain to them that I have bills (auto, mortgage, water-sewer, electricity, gas, phone, credit card) to pay. And then I have to run my family (of 4) and fuel 2 cars, and on top of that, I have to save also for the rainy day - for when kids get to
see question wey e dey ask me??
Re: Help! Friends, Family & Former School Mates From Nig Are Killing Me With Demands by lexy2014: 7:43am On Jul 09, 2015
otunbadan:

Can't you just say, No,i don't have that now. Truly you are nice to be really bothered by many people's problems but you are not God. Say no more often.
4get d guy. He is just playing around

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Gives Oyinbo Peppersoup In US, Then Lands In Police Station (Pics) / Inside The Kaduna-abuja Train Shared By A Twitter User (photos) / Is Asokoro, Abuja The Best Precinct In West Africa? (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.