Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83668 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
@ MRbrown and just kunmi

I totally agree with you guys on the fact that instinct could tell you. but know that they are humans and can get it wrong once in a while but anyways who knows what went wrong. all we know is that the film was bad. I never saw bangkok dangerous but i learnt the film bombed badly so i never bothered to see it.

about obsessed i think it just a girl film nothing big about it.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 13, 2009
OBSESSED
as i said before on another thread, i think Beyonce failed miserably on that one. she clearly is not a great actor and having her as the "supporting role"was a mistake since she has no acting skills. whoever gives her a leading role in the future where there is no singing is a fool!
the storyline is SIMPLE, maybe too simple and predictable and just a poor copycat of FATAL ATTRACTION.
Idriss Elba and Ali Larter couldnt saved that poorly made movie. so many unanswered questions:
what was the reason for the temp sudden craziness about the husband?
did anyone saw any quality "family" time between Idriss and Beyonce?
does Beyonce really think that this is how an angry wife looks like?
what about that bullshit fight scene at the end?

Beyonce is a great singer and should stick to doing what she does best, SINGING. i understand that record sales aint too great lately due to online downloading but branching into something where she has no skills is not the way to go. but then again, if my father was the producer of a movie (and dumb enough to cast me even if i had no skills) then I too could call myself an actor.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:40pm On Jul 13, 2009
obsessed.was.a.failure. For.a.story.as.simple.as.that. .the.only.thing.you.had.to.do.was. .ACT.!
And.they.failed.woefully.in.that.regard.

Like.the.above.comment. So.many.unanswered.questions. .so.many.unnecessary.things.
The.most.annoying.scene.in.the.movie.was.the.'cat.fight'at.the.end. The.suppossed.'highpoint'.of.the.movie.

And.whats.up.with.the.'evil.genius'.feel.they.tried.giving.the.temp. Like.she.had.som.powers.from.somewhere. .

i.hated.that.scene.where.she.entered.the.house. .brought.champagne.and.2.glasses. .climbed.up.the.staircase. .littered.the.bed.with.flower.petals.and.fell.into.the.bed. .ALL.IN.SLOW.MO!. What.was.the.slow.motion.for?

Dead.movie.

I.rate.the.movie.20%.

Beyonce./Sasha.Fierce.should.work.hard.on.her.next.album. Free.acting.
Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 6:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
I wish all men are like Derek who will throw away offer from women not because of their religious belief or something else but for the sake of their home sad. this reminds me of the character of Chris Rock in I think I love my wife. what im trying to say is that the character was too perfect and alot of people cant identify with that. i would give him a little weakness if i was the script writer/director.

The film is too predictable and I hope it did well in the cinema. I watched it and most people in the hall loved it cos they were cheering in that last scene. This brings me to something i found out lately-A director should identify his audience and meet their need. Obsessed didnt work for me but did for most of the audience with me in the hall. Most films from Nollywood are terrible but that doesnt mean its not doing well cos they are satisfying their audience.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 6:45pm On Jul 13, 2009
@bishoptboy
Are.you.then.saying.if.a.movie.is.stupid. .there's.a.stupid.audience.that.enjoys.it?
Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 10:15pm On Jul 13, 2009
@ Kunmi
LOL. im not saying stupid movie for stupid audience. it started some time ago when i was clamoring for young film makers to change the face of nollywood and flush out bad films and one poster by the name combrazor said we shouldnt bother about changing nollywood to our taste but we should just go ahead and do out thing and leave them to there "stupid" films.

I sat at my pastor's house fixing his PC and his mother inlaw was watching africa magic. i watched the film as i was working and its one of the most stupid films but his mother inlaw was so much engrossed by the film that she dialogs with the characters in the film. I know one thing that she cant be so interested in Transformers like she was interested the that silly film.

i came to the conclusion that nollywood is serving a need and thats why its thriving today all over Africa. even in europe and america they have an audience. Micheal bay has his audinece, Tyler Perry has his own, Jenifa (bis ges) has her own, just like Frank miller has his. and these audience have different taste. i for one love micheal bay while some other guy feel his movies are bad.

I have a classmate that the fountain is her best film and i only watched 10 minutes of the film and i switched off my tv cos i believe its for drug addicts. LOL
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 4:17am On Jul 14, 2009
bishoptboy:

@ Kunmi
LOL. im not saying stupid movie for stupid audience. it started some time ago when i was clamoring for young film makers to change the face of nollywood and flush out bad films and one poster by the name combrazor said we shouldnt bother about changing nollywood to our taste but we should just go ahead and do out thing and leave them to there "stupid" films.

I sat at my pastor's house fixing his PC and his mother inlaw was watching africa magic. i watched the film as i was working and its one of the most stupid films but his mother inlaw was so much engrossed by the film that she dialogs with the characters in the film. I know one thing that she cant be so interested in Transformers like she was interested the that silly film.

i came to the conclusion that nollywood is serving a need and thats why its thriving today all over Africa. even in europe and america they have an audience. Micheal bay has his audinece, Tyler Perry has his own, Jenifa (bis ges) has her own, just like Frank miller has his. and these audience have different taste. i for one love micheal bay while some other guy feel his movies are bad.

I have a classmate that the fountain is her best film and i only watched 10 minutes of the film and i switched off my tv cos i believe its for drug addicts. LOL

you are perfectly right about that, but Nollywood reaches some audience, not all and when there is nothing better to watch then i guess "anything" will do.
my problem with Nollywood is when they write that it is the 3rd largest in the world. they may be right about the numbers etc but as to quality, they are all the way at the back of the pack.
one of the problem in Nollywood is that every Tom and Dikc can come up today and "make a movie". i read it takes a week to make a flikc there and that actors dont even read the script until the first day of shooting. bloody hell!
there is humongous work that has to be done in 9ja if they ever want to make this industry grow like the south african one (with quality not quantity) or even the indian one (they wish).
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:38am On Jul 14, 2009
@bishoptboy
Ur.veeery.spot.on!. Right.on.the.mark. But.do.you.know.the.so.called.'audience'.of.these.naija.movies? Ur.pastors's.grandmother. .My.grandmother. My.grandmother's.friend. My.mum's.old.tailor. The.old.woman.down.the.street.selling.beer.!. These.are.the.people.who.enjoy.such.things and.guess.what.they.have.in.common. . .OLD.AGE!.

You.enjoy.Transformers.and.the.likes.'cos.u.are.youthful. You.are.enlightened.
I'tell.you. .naija.movies.has.an.expiry.date. Once.these.old.people.are.gone. .who's.left.to.watch?.

Apart.from.old.people. low.IQ'd.people.also.enjoy.these.movies. And.thats.a.tell.tale.sign.of.mediocrity.

I.was.at.home.some.weeks.ago.and.was.flippin.through.the.channels. I.stopped.at.Mnet.Action.cos.they.were.showing.'Identity'.by.John.Cusack. My.sis.said.we.should.watch.Africa.Magic.
I.asked.why. And.these.where.her.exact.words. .''I.dont.want.to.think!.im.tired. I.want.to.watch.a.movie.I.dont.have.to.think.too.much.about. Even.if.I.start.watching.it.halfway. .I'll.still.understand.it''.
I.was.shoked.!.

Naija.movies.are.a.joke!.
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2009
JK you owe me angry tongue grin

Obsessed - where do i start? Or is there any point to start? angry
I don't know which is worse, the acting, the overall work or the script? undecided
I didn't know if i was watching a movie or a music video.  Beyonce totally missed the part! Too contrived, too rigid, in no way a believable character.
Crappy crappy movie angry And Derek? Like wth?? Can you use your friggin brain? Totally in the opposite of the job position you were holding.  .  .i can't believe how stupid this movie was, no wait.  .  .yeah most movies are stupid but seriously, this is just ridiculous.

I give it a 15% angry For the songs grin
Re: The Movie Club by Busta(f): 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2009
I think Idris Elba is Hot . . .thats my review tongue
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:03pm On Jul 14, 2009
You.got.an.alarm.for.your.door. .and.just.so.conveniently. .you.forgot.to.use.it.when.the.person.you.got.it.for.in.the.first.place.was.around.the.corner. .waiting.to.break.into.your.house. . How.dull.can.u.get? Writer+Director+Actors. . All.dull.

And.the.Chandalier? OMG!.Lol. .

I.rated.the.movie.20%.previously. Now.its.10%. For.the.fine.Mercedes.Derek.was.driving. .

iice
Pele. .i.owe.you.big.time!.
I.owe.myself.sef. .
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2009
Yes ooo, now what will be my treat? grin
Are you trying to get my rating down too? tongue I think there are alot of them stupid films that will share that percentage.

Ali Larter, makes a dull psycho, compared to Glenn Close.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:52pm On Jul 14, 2009
Your.treat? A.ticket.to.go.see.Harry.potter.and.the.Half.Blood.Prince? wink

Ali.Later.ke? She.can't.even.scare.a.baby. She.tried.the.evil.genius.stuff.too.in.Heroes. .with.the.whole.Jessica/Nikki.stuff.
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 3:58pm On Jul 14, 2009
grin You mean that's your own treat tongue
Sure why not grin grin

Please lets choose a good movie next. . .i'm afraid, my brain cells will start leaking grin
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:03pm On Jul 14, 2009
lol. .
erm. .mite.be.a.lil.my.treat. .

oya.suggest.a.good.movie. .
this.is.totally.your.job.this.time. .

so.choose.wisely! grin
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 4:07pm On Jul 14, 2009
Oh gawd!!! angry angry angry
Transformers is no longer under review? Just as I forced myself through over 2 hours of aunty Megan because of JustKunmi and now its no longer under review?!?!?! shocked angry Such a sad lonely world.

Now I have to drag my @ss with my eyes behind me to go see that berloddy Obsessed movie with all the bleeping bad reviews? Such a sad lonely world, I say. angry angry
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2009
spikey
you.can.still.drop.ur.Transformers.review. .and.ur.rating.
wld.edit.the.average.rating,when.urs.comes.in.

and.about.Obsessed. .erh,
dont.bother.watching. .
its.going.off.the.thread.today.today. . lol grin

suggest.a.movie.we.shld.review.next. .
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 14, 2009
Nia long recently took a sly dig as Beyonce without mentioning her name.
Guess what. . . . . . . i co-sign every bit of her comment.

Beyonce should stick to sweating her pants off in the name of singing and dancing.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2009
Yeah, I saw that too.

Here it is:
Nia Long is going in on Beyonce. Apparently Nia - and a bunch of other Black Hollywood actresses - are upset that the few roles available for Black women are being taken away from them by singers like Beyonce, Alicia Keys, and Jennifer Hudson.

And Nia is now speaking out about it. Here's what she had to say in a recent interview:
I didn’t see [Beyonce's latest movie] ‘Obsessed,’ so I can’t comment, but it’s just not about how talented you are anymore. It’s about, ‘How much box-office revenue will this person generate?’

When you see certain people – we won’t name names – they just don’t have the skill, and no one in their team has said, ‘You need acting classes’…“If you take time to develop your craft, God bless you.'
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 14, 2009
ibkaye:

Yeah, I saw that too.
Here it is:
Nia Long is going in on Beyonce. Apparently Nia - and a bunch of other Black Hollywood actresses - are upset that the few roles available for Black women are being taken away from them by singers like Beyonce, Alicia Keys, and Jennifer Hudson.
And Nia is now speaking out about it. Here's what she had to say in a recent interview:
I didn’t see [Beyonce's latest movie] ‘Obsessed,’ so I can’t comment, but it’s just not about how talented you are anymore. It’s about, ‘How much box-office revenue will this person generate?’
When you see certain people – we won’t name names – they just don’t have the skill, and no one in their team has said, ‘You need acting classes’…“If you take time to develop your craft, God bless you.'

she is right BUT daddy Knowles was producing the movie. so even if Angelina Jolie would have offered to play the part for free, he would have still given the role to his daughter. who knows? maybe Beyonce even produced the damn flick but daddy was the front man just to make her look more credible in the eyes of the world. everything is possible in crazy Hollywood.
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2009
I must see this Obsessed. The selling point was the climbing upstairs and spreading petals and falling into bed,all in slow motion. My sides are killing me. I must see it,even if it's only that scene.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2009
MadMax
Pls.see.the.movie.for.that.scene. Its.so.effing.annoying!. . The.whole.slow.mo.was.jus.ridiculous.

And.dont.miss.the.killer.chandalier!. .
I.almost.peed.in.my.pants.laffing.at.the.scene. They.tried.to.make.the.end.look.like.a.horror.movie.final.fight. . But.it.sucked. !. Grossly!.

The.chandalier.was.jus.the.icing. . Lmao. Lol,
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2009
Mad_Max:

I must see this Obsessed. The selling point was the climbing upstairs and spreading petals and falling into bed,all in slow motion. My sides are killing me. I must see it,even if it's only that scene.

check my movie thread for this flick streaming links and start watching it now but dont get your hopes too high.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=244544.msg3875675#msg3875675
Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 7:17pm On Jul 14, 2009
wow so much has been said in my absence. i missed the train and I'm trying to catch up.

@ JK and Mrbrown

I tell you I hate Nollywood myself and I wish the movies improve. I have concluded that most Nollywood films are for the illiterate, semi-Literate and the educated Illiterate. JK do you know that there are so many young guys and girls that love and adore these rubbish they call Nollywood home video. In a very long time I never watched any Nollywood until I was told about Jenifa and I went to see it. i hated myself for that. Since that time I have not seen any Nollywood. Young guys and girls love these film so its not necessarily about age but about taste.

I cant wait to see Harry Porter, even though many belief it to be demonic i find it to be fun but wont advice it for kids. Its gonna be released here tomorrow. I watched Body of lies again yesterday and I love the film. wink

@Obsessed
That scene where she opened her eyes and the chandeliers was uncalled for. this is not horror. I feel the movie was just a remake of some movie i have seen before and cant remember. the story is too cheesy and nothing new.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:55pm On Jul 14, 2009
Bishop
Any.young.person.with.enough.IQ.to.use.a.computer.that.LOVES.Nollywood.videos.should.be.shot!
Those.things.are.irritating.

Yeah. .about.Jenifa. I.went.to.see.a.friend.and.the.whole.family.was.watchin.it. So.I.watched. No.doubt.it.was.funny. .but.the.story.is.the.same.ol'.stuff.we.know.
Girl.from.a.poor.background.goes.to.school. Joins.the.bad.crew. Gets.messed.up.at.the.end. Simple! It.even.had.2.parts!!. Now.the.girl.is.even.more.popular.than.the.President. .

Point.is. People.would.watch.what.they.see. Give.'em.a.good.movie. .they'll.watch.
Isn't.it.surprising.that.no.naija.movie.makes.our.own.cinemas?. We.have.like.4.or.5.cinemas.in.Lagos.alone. And.none.shows.our.own.movies? Cos.they.know.its.crap!.
No.person.enlightened.enough.to.go.pay.to.see.a.movie.on.big.screen.would.pay.for.a.naija.movie.
So.bro. .its.about.IQ.
If.you.seriously.enjoy.a.naija.movie. .you.need.an.IQ.test.asap.

@Obsessed.
I.keep.laffin.everytime.I.remember.the.chandalier.scene. And.she.opened.her.eyes.like.Pink.did.in.the.'Dont.Leave.Me'.video. Lol. .

I'm.tempted.to.further.reduce.my.rating.to.5%. The.remaining.5%.left.would.be.cos.I.liked.the.Mercedes.Derek.was.driving.

Bishop. .suggest.a.movie.next.for.review.
Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 9:59pm On Jul 14, 2009
@ JK
You dont wanna do that. shoot Nigerian youth that enjoy Nollywood. thats genocide! alot of lives will be lost grin . common man give the director of the film a little prop. 5% you must be very wicked.
I have not seen a good movie recently that I would like to talk about except old ones. lets wait till tomorrow and I will tell you what I think of Harry porter. I'm a fan so i might be biased. LOL
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:00pm On Jul 14, 2009
I'm.an.Harry.faithful.
Read.all.the.books. . Seen.all.the.movies.

And.I'm.lookin.forward.to.Half.Blood.Prince. .cos.dis, is.where.Dumbledore.dies.
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 1:35pm On Jul 15, 2009
5% shocked
JK you bad ooo grin grin grin

bishoptboy:

I cant wait to see Harry Porter, even though many belief it to be demonic i find it to be fun but wont advice it for kids. Its gonna be released here tomorrow.

What do you mean demonic?
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:24pm On Jul 16, 2009
@iice. .bishoptboy
Jus.saw.Harry.Potter.6.and.it.was . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 8:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
I suggest Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince for next review.
Re: The Movie Club by azoo: 8:41pm On Jul 16, 2009
Can we review knowing please,
Directed by alex proyas
produced by todd black, jason blumenthal, steve tisch
Written by ryne douglas pearson, alex proyas,
Starring nicolas cage, rose byrne, chandler cantterbury, 2009.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 9:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
azoo:

Can we review[u] knowing[/u] please,
Directed by alex proyas
produced by todd black, jason blumenthal, steve tisch
Written by ryne douglas pearson, alex proyas,
Starring nicolas cage, rose byrne, chandler cantterbury, 2009.
hmm I have plenty to say on that one . . .

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (96) (Reply)

NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / K.brule And Khloe Disqualified From The Big Brother House (details) / BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.