Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr (41685 Views)

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake / E-recruiter MTN Graduate Trainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
amicable09:

Well, you are right about the critique, I really should get someone do that for me. Thanks for pointing that out

You are welcome. Remember that I am not a recruiter nor am I in HR. I am just an employee who has come to the realization that it is better to have HR on your side rather than against you.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
raayah:

I think most expatriates are usually engineers/ construction workers / Technology. Truth is that our universities do not teach practical work at all. A lot of people cannot handle basic microsoft applications , there were not taught. Students studying computer science have never wrote an App/ Programmed a machine. This is what other countries are doing in their first years.
What about their labs? Its standard. They are taught to use equipments that Nigerians only read about. A business will not invest 100 million into a machine and give it to someone who has no experience to run it. Simply not done. We should step up a country.

Expatriates are way better than Nigerians in terms of experience, education and professionalism. If we fix our education sector, students will be rushing to study in Nigeria from all over the world. We will definitely reduce the amount of expattriates.

Exactly, A million likes for you
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nihilist:

Bros, I'm pointing out to you what should be the in key competencies section of a CCNA holder.

You also mentioned 'networking' as a technical skill. What is that? Recruiters work with key words from the job spec. Do you honestly expect a recruiter to know or care what 'networking' entails?

I've said what I need to say. It's up to you to take the advice or not.

Bros re u a recruiter?

If u are let me send my CV..that's the essence of it all
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2015
yorex2011:
I'm usually saddened when Nigerian graduates and students are belittled, using qualifiers as "half-baked" and "unemployable".
Considering I'm a recent Graduate myself.
We are compared with our counterparts from other developed countries, forgetting that we are a developing country.
True, there are a number that fall short of expectation, but it is like that in other countries too.
I recently registered for a massive open online course (MOOC) organized by IFP school France, and i am impressed at their methodology, and i imagined, that's how it should be in their schools there too, learning is convenient and interesting, unlike here in Nigeria where we have to go through hurdles, such as economic hardships, poor amenities, difficult learning conditions and yet still graduate with good grades.

Nigerian graduates should not be belittled, if not for anything but for the fact that we triumphed in difficult conditions.
Everyday we see topics of Engineering students building stuff and here on Nairaland are still insulted, and their efforts rubbished. Do they think its easy building something out of nothing, it shows our innovative and never say die spirit.

We should try to help out, we wont get anywhere by criticizing everyday, we should try to offer solutions, seek out ways to improve the state of things. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm currently looking for a job, but i helped a fellow nairalander review his cv once, I'm not a professional CV writer, but i read a lot and I did it, as a way of contributing to some form of development. Same with a group i created for unemployed graduates where we share ideas, information, tips, ideas. Its not much but I'm contributing the little i can.

We sometimes forget the days of humble beginnings, someone that schooled in Nigeria, maybe holding a good position, calling graduates unemployable...

Nigerians are good people, hardworking, it goes beyond what you see, its a way of life, even if 90% of us can't write a cover letter or 85% of use can't write a CV, we will keep persevering, we will keep going till we overcome

Note that a future president, future CEO, future Nobel prize winner is currently among these so-called half baked.

God bless us all

Don't misunderstand me.
I am an international recruiter meaning my clients are 90% of the times from other countries. I met my Nigerian clients through foreign partners. I am forced to compare grads from India, Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Canada, USA, The Philippines etc almost everyday. No employer cares if you schooled in a 3rd world country.

I pointed these out so we all can take note and work on where we are wanting. Not to criticize.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:31pm On Oct 30, 2015
Kx:
Hello Recruiter.

You advised job seekers to always run a spell check.
You equally took pride in the quality of the cv reviewed and attached by you. Excellent.

Please edit this portion of the attached cv if you dont mind:

...My duties were to ensure the convenience and well being of guests and [size=18pt]staffs[/size]"...

Thank you.
smh, how do you know the job description more than the staff
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by amicable09(f): 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

You are welcome. Remember that I am not a recruiter nor am I in HR. I am just an employee who has come to the realization that it is better to have HR on your side rather than against you.

Hahahahaha... Sure. Nobody wants them to be against the fellow, we just don't want them having an attitude, that's all. After all, the HR was once a job seeker too, so, I see no reason for such behaviour.

Recently, I went for an interview and the lady who interviewed me made the environment so conducive! I wasn't in any way tensed and we flowed very well. Right there and then, I knew I had won her heart but no, I didn't take up the offer because of some reasons. One of which was the bond I was going to sign, didn't quite augur well with my plans.

Then, at another interview the interviewer acted as though she had a personal issue, straight faced and she dished out her questions with such seriousness as though we were in a fight wink. Mmmh, that's why sometimes I just get upset with some of these HR guys... Not with you sha grin
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nihilist: 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
I think this is where a lot of people get it wrong.

Your CV is a sales document. It's a flyer. It's an advert. It's a flipping documentary.

It should list exactly what skills you have to offer as it is relevant to the employer.

Word processing is not a skill. It is a necessity. You need to be able to communicate within the corporate environment so you you need to be able to use Microsoft office. It is NOT a skill. You wouldn't write down fluency in English as skill in Nigeria, would you?

Look at the job description and write down the skills you think are required in reasonable detail.

That's the key element of a great CV

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nihilist: 8:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
Bennyzino:

Bros re u a recruiter?

If u are let me send my CV..that's the essence of it all

I'm not a recruiter.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
beyondwalls:
Hi Op,

Kindly advise on this case.
What are the factors that could be responsible for going through shortlisting, getting to the final stage of the recruitment process and in the end getting sorry mail. This has happened about 5 times in the past one year with top companies. The most annoying part is most of the times i find it hard to pick what i did or said wrong during the interview. It's just so depressing.

My bro/sis, I can't tell you for sure what caused it. Connection, God Fathers, chance etc
Be rest assured that yours will come to you
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
OfficialIYANU:

This is part of the issues she is raising. Nigerians would not just SMART UP. There's already an example of a CV she herself edited. Look and learn from it Bros. Haha!

@OP
I also face majority of these challenges whilst recruiting. With the level of educational, mental and moral decadence, I have come to realise ONLY GOD can rescue this country from the rocks we're headed! KAI
Exactly
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:37pm On Oct 30, 2015
Curvinus:
Abeg shut up Mr. Recruiter. What are you recruiting sef and how much are you being paid to saddle us with this your rambling twittle tattle?

Must you comment?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:38pm On Oct 30, 2015
prettyboi1:
Nice article. I keep saying a lot of us Nigerian youths are very unenlightened....even the so-called 'educated' ones. All we brag about here is "I went to school", "I have a degree", "I am a first-class/second class-upper/second class lower student", "I studied engineering ", "I'm a doctor" etc....who the fvck cares? If you can offer me practical thinking and solutions, you don't interest me, screw your 'certificate'.

Thanks
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:39pm On Oct 30, 2015
400billionman:
What this thread is all about is that if i can write or pay someone to write me a good resume or cover letter, and i dont know anything, the poster will recruit me.

Okay.

Wrong, but I'm pointing out to the CV packaging as what will get their foot in the door
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:40pm On Oct 30, 2015
oc2fish:
[color=#990000][/color]
My dear sister students and Government share the blame.

Government.
Imagine a student in biosciences whose lecturer has never use a PCR machine. This lecturer was taught by a lacturer who has not seen this machine. The same lecturer was taught by one who used the analog PCR machine in the 60's. Can you tell me how the student will be marketable in todays world.

Student.
Most students do not value knowledge. They see going to class as stress. They want the degree without the knowledge.
All you have said is true.
The emboldened is disheartening.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:41pm On Oct 30, 2015
skeema:
Can u please give out ur mail address for CV reviews?

jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:42pm On Oct 30, 2015
sirmmykay:
really appreciate dis write up of yours, pls will like to seek advice from you. my mail address is ajibolasamuel14@gmail.com. thanks as I wait for your
quick reply
ok
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:46pm On Oct 30, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
Recruiting graduates from Nigeria must be one of the toughest jobs out there.

I have never seen a set that takes pride in ignorance. Some CVs will put tears in your eyes. Once in a while, you run into one that will erase your bias.

They think it doesn't matter until it does.

Kudos!

/

Thanks
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by lynn360: 8:47pm On Oct 30, 2015
yorex2011:
I'm usually saddened when Nigerian graduates and students are belittled, using qualifiers as "half-baked" and "unemployable".
Considering I'm a recent Graduate myself.
We are compared with our counterparts from other developed countries, forgetting that we are a developing country.
True, there are a number that fall short of expectation, but it is like that in other countries too.
I recently registered for a massive open online course (MOOC) organized by IFP school France, and i am impressed at their methodology, and i imagined, that's how it should be in their schools there too, learning is convenient and interesting, unlike here in Nigeria where we have to go through hurdles, such as economic hardships, poor amenities, difficult learning conditions and yet still graduate with good grades.

Nigerian graduates should not be belittled, if not for anything but for the fact that we triumphed in difficult conditions.
Everyday we see topics of Engineering students building stuff and here on Nairaland are still insulted, and their efforts rubbished. Do they think its easy building something out of nothing, it shows our innovative and never say die spirit.

We should try to help out, we wont get anywhere by criticizing everyday, we should try to offer solutions, seek out ways to improve the state of things. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I'm currently looking for a job, but i helped a fellow nairalander review his cv once, I'm not a professional CV writer, but i read a lot and I did it, as a way of contributing to some form of development. Same with a group i created for unemployed graduates where we share ideas, information, tips, ideas. Its not much but I'm contributing the little i can.

We sometimes forget the days of humble
beginnings, someone that schooled in Nigeria, maybe holding a good position, calling graduates unemployable...

Nigerians are good people, hardworking, it goes beyond what you see, its a way of life, even if 90% of us can't write a cover letter or 85% of use can't write a CV, we will keep persevering, we will keep going till we overcome

Note that a future president, future CEO, future Nobel prize winner is currently among these so-called half baked.

God bless us all

Well said sir, recruiters have this annoying way of belittling Nigerian students with this notion of been unemployable but the fact still remains our poor educational system has caused more damage. Give Nigerian students the same learning facilities given to these expatriates and we'll record a tremendous success nationwide. We have very brilliant people here in Nigeria whose invention can shake the world if exposed to modern technology and not some archaic way of learning. I have not come to lay blames, we need solutions and not these constant criticisms Nigerian graduates face each day not just a surface solution but a grassroot solution which requires restructuring of our educational system. God bless the good of Nigeria and reward their efforts...
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:47pm On Oct 30, 2015
faites:
Nice write-up. I won't mind if I'm included in your job pool. I did mass communication and personnel management. I am an avid writer and editor. I have worked in newspaper and magazine firms, but I now want to taste other waters. Maybe in the area of personnel management or administration. I speak a little french also. Email- ev2cindy@gmail.com

Im focusing on IT placements for now but will keep you in mind.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by butanep(m): 8:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

You are very welcome. I feel appreciated. I was once unemployed and if I can be of help to anyone I would try to do my best.

please i sent you a PM. I want to have a chat with you.

Thanks
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Abdujapha(m): 8:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
[quote author=Gold45 post=39508347]As an international Recruiter,
I have noticed some things that hinder my recruitment in Nigeria, it is heart breaking when someone comes to me and says I'm relocating to the USA or Canada or wherever, what placement can you get for me and just by chatting with the person, I know that it will have to be a menial job despite the diplomas and degrees.
There is a reason why I have Recruited over 50 expatriates from some unimaginable countries into Nigeria where they got perks like:
3 bedroom furnished apartment in the Lekki area a few bus stops away from the company
2 domestic staffs to do the cleaning, cooking and driving.
Comprehensive health insurance
Approx. 10M annual salary
28 working days paid vacation
3 working days paid leave
Approx 3M in other allowances
Return annual paid tickets to their home country annually
In some cases a lesser paying job for the spouse is guaranteed.

I have facilitated the purchase of some Multi Million houses which Companies bought for their expatriate staffs. The minimum being 700M for 20 units of 3 bedroom flats, and some up to 2 Billion just for these expatriates.

You must be thinking why, below are some of the reasons in my opinion.
1. Education
Our universities don't help matters, they split one course into 3 units for students to study and graduate and use 20 years old techniques / syllabus to teach. As a result, fresh Nigerian graduates and even West African graduates can not stand fresh graduates from other parts of the world until they have experience or go for more classes. I begin to ask, what is the craze to get admission and graduate for?

2. Lack of seriousness on the part of the students
As if that isnt enough, many of their results were bought in the sense that in a new setting, they can't defend this result. A Bsc Econs holder couldn't pass an exam to place her in a 200level equivalent in the USA. While in school, a lot of them joined cults and turned to private prostitutes just to get the good grades. News Flash!!! Recruiters are fully aware and can't be deceived.

3. Inability to speak good English
What breaks my heart now is that many of them can't speak good English. They are well educated in the best schools but nothing to show for it. If that cert. goes missing today, and they have the opportunity to write another exam to receive a new result, 80% won't pass. Yes, English isn't our mother tongue but when you want a job in a company where English language is spoken, you have to speak English too. Your command of English is highly important. It can speak a lot about you even before you present your certs.

4. Greed
Now, once in a while, I see a graduate who has ticked all the wrong boxes still forming "I know my worth and wont settle for less". I'll simply tell you to call me next week as that's when I'll be recruiting for the big fishes and that will be the end. The bad part of these incompetence is that you never know you have them. Hence, there's nothing to lower those over inflated egos.

5. Nonchalant attitude
Some feel once they have gotten their certs esp. the 1st class and 2nd class upper, they have tried abeg. Cut them some slack, give them a break. But they don't understand that its just the beginning. You must seek more exposure by all means. Keep reading, keep find ways to polish your trophy, keep learning from those who are there.
For example; I can say, 90% of graduates, cant write a standard cover letter, 85% cant write a standard Resume / CV. My mum looked at an applicants cv one day, laughed and said, My CV was as naive as this when I applied for my first job. Meaning, that CV was in vogue in the 1970's!!! I'll talk more on the CV later.

6. Unrealistic desires
Okay, we all know you didn't spend years in the Uni for nothing. You didn't go to Boko Haram infested areas during your service for nothing etc. But baby, its time to wake up! Life isn't rosy anymore. There is tight competition out there. There are over 2000 people better than you graduating every year. The best tool you have when job hunting is experience. I daresay experience is more valuable than degrees in some cases. Start where you are as long as i can recharge your phone, transport you to and from work and pay your basic bills, it will be worth it.
Learn from Dami:
Dami (not real name) ticked 3 wrong boxes and due to the strict requirement, could never see the light of the job. What did Dami do?
He wrote a new application letter volunteering to work for free only asking to be allowed to benefit from the Company's transport as he lives far. 2 years later, Dami got a job in that company as an Assistant Mgr.

7. Lack of Packaging
You are a brand, you wish to be the face of a company, how can you sell the company in a good image if you can't sell yourself? Start with your CV and cover letter.
I don't care where you are from unless the job specifically asked for candidates from a particular region. telling me you have an experience as a waiter in a 7* hotel when applying for the post of a teacher will make me shove your resume in the bin.
Indicate all that apply and leave out the unnecessary details. I skim through 80 - 100 Cv's in 1hr or more. Meaning at a glance, I want to see what I want shouting back at me in your resume. Keep it straight to the point and Brief. Don't lie! Be creative, learn new ways to write a cv. Always ask someone who likes you to proof read for you. Always run a spell check. Don't have one CV. I have more than 8. Always create a new CV to fit the new job. Indicate in the section for skills, all your skills which was listed as a requirement.

8. Failing to test all spirits
Apply to all positions you feel you are qualified for.
Secret: You don't need to have it all. Hr Managers are there to brush you up!

Hi, Please can I send you my resume for your review?
Thanks in anticipation smiley
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by butanep(m): 9:00pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gold45:

Please follow the link I indicated and send your cv

I will like to have a personal chat with you. How can i reach you please?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:04pm On Oct 30, 2015
jazinogold:
nice writeup OP!
abeg I fit send u my CV n Cover letter for review? undecided
jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:05pm On Oct 30, 2015
ProfJournalism:
You are an Author, Thanks much more for this Intriguing, Informative and Educative Trend!!..
You Just Hit the Nail @ the Head!
I Love your WriteUp!
I wish Over 1Milllion Users on Nairaland will read this!
Thanks once again!!

i Will Love to get in Touch Please!
Nwafor210@gmail.com

Your Response will be highly Honoured.
thanks!

jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 9:05pm On Oct 30, 2015
butanep:

please i sent you a PM. I want to have a chat with you.

Thanks

I responded so you can email me now.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2015
onibooro:
I'll make an exception and comment on this thread.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the original poster and the moniker Raayah in their statements about Nigerian education being sub-par and foreign graduates being better than Nigerian.

I am leading an international team of engineers and specialists on a multi million dollar project with a multinational company and I was recruited from Nigeria. It has been a right royal mess with the resources, many European, many from the Middle East, some from some sub Saharan countries. In many instances, I rely on Nigerian resources, problem only being work permits for them which can be tedious.

The biggest problem I have on the project of course, is my resource planning and the CVs I receive from recruitment companies are in many cases as bad as you can imagine.

I only had my Unilag education and Nigerian experience on my CV, same with my Nigerian resources.

To the unemployed; keep reading, know a little about everything, improve your written and spoken English and add value to yourselves.

You are only as good as you choose to be.

There is a reason why you see many CVs as bad as one can imagine
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2015
woodcook:
Hope can you send me your email. Teamtim@mail.com. I want to link someone up with you. He is a dear friend, I want him to talk to you so you can see where he can fit properly in Naija. Thanks.
I hope you understand I fovus on the international job market?
jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
Liadi2:
Good day, am a graduate of Electrical and Electronics Engineering my option was Electronics and Telecommunications, I need ur help for my CV review have sent out so many times without getting any feedback. This is the attachment of my CV for review my email is Biodunayodele68@gmail.com, I will glad to here from you guys pls help am in need to Job badly.
Please mail it to me.
jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:08pm On Oct 30, 2015
Bennyzino:

Please here are the summary of my career

Career Summary
Electrical Electronic Engineer (B.Eng), Uniport
Class of Degree 2.2
Designation : IT/Customer Support Specialist/Analyst
Certifications : CCNA,HSE 1 and 2
Work experience : 2 yrs

Key Competences

High level of communication, computing and organization skills
Proficiency in MS Word
Technical prowess(PC Hardware, Printers, Laptop, Networking Components)

Objectives
Having the willingness to learn and grow personally and professionally, looking for a position that needs and values quality customer service and system maintenance.

I look forward to showing my credence when we meet.

Pls contact me on benz3n@yahoo.com, 08054235516

Pls mail your cv to jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

I understand that it can be frustrating for jobseekers and some HR personnel can be very mean. In terms of aptitude test they are testing your suitability for the job. They are also testing your ability to learn and adapt to different situations. At work you meet challenges frequently and if the panel appears to be hostile it is because they are testing you. They want to see how you deal with pressure. Are you a confident person? Practise and develop your interview skills with friends and family members. Also dispose of that mindset that HR managers are not doing you a favour. It is better to have an HR manager on your side rather than against you.

Thanks for covering up for me.
I sense experience in your replies.
Are you a HR?
Are you open to networking?
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 9:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
kunlegboye:
op thanks so much for your insightful write up....I'm a graduate of elect/elect engr,jobless but i want to learn and start from somewhere i dont want to be a waste i need someone to put me through because i strongly believe that's what i need now....i'll like to chat with you if you dont mind...my e-mail:kunlegboye001@gmail.com.
jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 9:16pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gold45:

Thanks for covering up for me.
I sense experience in your replies.
Are you a HR?
Are you open to networking?

No I am not in HR. I was once unemployed and it took a lot of soul searching, observing people and being open to criticisms to get me to where I am today. I really do like your posts and I am happy that you didn't feel I was encroaching on your territory. I am certainly open to networking and I am willing to pass on my experiences and advice to anyone who is willing to listen. I don't consider myself a pro but I think I have something to bring to the table.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2022 Nigerian Breweries Graduate Management Development Scheme Discussion Thread / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.