Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr (41722 Views)

How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake / E-recruiter MTN Graduate Trainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by ERCROSS(m): 6:18pm On Oct 30, 2015
sakalisis:
Hi OP

I am a freelance technology (Phone) researcher and entreprenuer, am a certified Java programmer coupled with my knowledge of phone and laptop repairs. I also graduated with a strong 2.1 in Physics Electronics from the best technology university in Nigeria.

My email is sakalisis@yahoo.com. I will be looking forward tp your reply.

Thanks.
Bro,i'm an undergraduate physicist. how has it been out there being a physics graduate? any discrimination against a physicist in d labour market? do we have a chance in oil and gas industry? can we apply for electronics engineering jobs too and be considered? i shall anticipate ur response broh.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 6:23pm On Oct 30, 2015
beyondwalls:
Hi Op,

Kindly advise on this case.
What are the factors that could be responsible for going through shortlisting, getting to the final stage of the recruitment process and in the end getting sorry mail. This has happened about 5 times in the past one year with top companies. The most annoying part is most of the times i find it hard to pick what i did or said wrong during the interview. It's just so depressing.

There were probably better candidates. I understand it is very frustrating but never lose hope. Remember that you are not the only candidate fighting for this position. Don't forget to write a thank you letter and reiterate your interest in the job. Also mention what you hope to bring to the position.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Dahveydson(m): 6:30pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

There were probably better candidates. I understand it is very frustrating but never lose hope. Remember that you are not the only candidate fighting for this position. Don't forget to write a thank you letter and reiterate your interest in the job. Also mention what you hope to bring to the position.

I read through the entire thread and I find your replies commendable and helpful. Here's me saying thank you for your insightful replies.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by uncolonised(m): 6:34pm On Oct 30, 2015
yorex2011:

I don't understand sir, interested in what please?

Sorry what I meant was that I am interest in your group interaction and would love to learn from other youths in the job search category
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 6:39pm On Oct 30, 2015
Dahveydson:

I read through the entire thread and I find your replies commendable and helpful. Here's me saying thank you for your insightful replies.

You are very welcome. I feel appreciated. I was once unemployed and if I can be of help to anyone I would try to do my best.

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by yorex2011: 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2015
uncolonised:

Sorry what I meant was that I am interest in your group interaction and would love to learn from other youths in the job search category

Oh ok.. Its a bbm group so you can check my profile under topics you shud see it, you can post your bbm pin there
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Adortem: 6:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
I would advise that people stop posting their emails here for security reasons,don't say you were not warned,this is a public forum,your email should be confidential...

2 Likes

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
Nihilist:

You have a CCNA bruv.

Your key competencies should be routing and switching,LAN\WAN configurations,network security etc.
Having a CCNA and listing proficiency in word as your first competency suggests that you don't really know anything about networking. That might not be the case, but that is what it suggests...

Bros thanks for the observation but I stated it in technical prowess. ..
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sakalisis(m): 7:07pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

There are a couple of mistakes in your post. Entrepreneur and not entrepreneur. There should be a full stop after entrepreneur and it should be "I am a certified Java programmer ...". To and not tp
It is not enough to say that you graduated from the "best technology university in Nigeria." That is very subjective. Why don't you state the name of the university? Also I know a lot of people don't want to give out a lot of information about themselves in a public forum so in this situation I would advise that you should have asked the op for her email address and then sent out a well-constructed CV. Also there is nothing like a strong or weak 2:1 degree.

Lol, Thanks bro , all correction noted.

Federal University of Technology, Akure
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sakalisis(m): 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
Kollyman:

Brother, I must tell you the plain truth, you don't need any employment with the above enumerated qualifications, all you need to do is to be a creative entrepreneur.

Do you know what you can make in computer village or saka tinubu everyday by mere having a small place for yourself or you do join man with someone who has a space? Wake-up bro.

The Nigeria educational system is the highest killer of dreams as it implant this job seeking mentality in people.

How can i get a small shop in computer village/saka Tinubu, i will appreciate if you can help me, kindly drop your phone number bro.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by uncolonised(m): 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2015
yorex2011:

Oh ok.. Its a bbm group so you can check my profile under topics you shud see it, you can post your bbm pin there

334EA617,...... Thanks in advance
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by sakalisis(m): 7:12pm On Oct 30, 2015
ERCROSS:

Bro,i'm an undergraduate physicist. how has it been out there being a physics graduate? any discrimination against a physicist in d labour market? do we have a chance in oil and gas industry? can we apply for electronics engineering jobs too and be considered? i shall anticipate ur response broh.

In Fela voice "E no easy"

Let talk on whatsapp, check my signature for my numner

Thanks
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by amicable09(f): 7:32pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

I understand that it can be frustrating for jobseekers and some HR personnel can be very mean. In terms of aptitude test they are testing your suitability for the job. They are also testing your ability to learn and adapt to different situations. At work you meet challenges frequently and if the panel appears to be hostile it is because they are testing you. They want to see how you deal with pressure. Are you a confident person? Practise and develop your interview skills with friends and family members. Also dispose of that mindset that HR managers are not doing you a favour. It is better to have an HR manager on your side rather than against you.

Thanks Aude for speaking in favor of these HR personnel but truth still remains I am confident about my capabilities and I have a very positive mindset. One of which is whoever I finally ACCEPT to be my employer will be at an advantage and to all those companies that have sent regret mails... it's their loss not mine.

When it comes to recruitment in Nigeria the process can be altogether crazy and of course these recruiters who keep acting like they know it all and can read through the minds of prospective employees, how wrong they can be! No wonder, they recruit people with rehearsed lines and fake accent... lol. After one month, they will still return here to lament. I'll keep watching, I understand no one will be unemployed for life so very soon I will also be recruiting others, chikina! Life na turn by turn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 7:33pm On Oct 30, 2015
sakalisis:

Lol, Thanks bro , all correction noted.

Federal University of Technology, Akure

You are welcome. I am a female.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
Milliprime:
So how do you help to solve the problem.

By doing what Im doing now

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:36pm On Oct 30, 2015
kaykash007:
This is informative.....but I also think the Op should at least give hint on how to build a strong attractive CV to compete in the Nigeria Labour market.

Please take a hint from the screenshot. I'll do a post on that later
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:37pm On Oct 30, 2015
ambassadorgozie:
DEAR RECRUITER,

I am Mr Paul, studied International relations and graduated with 2.1 from a federal university, certified in French language and HSE, proficient in the use of MS office suite ,and i write articles..
Please help to fix me somewhere.

My email is ambassadorgozie@gmail.com .
I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards.
Paul

Help a jobless graduate..

Merci beaucoup!

I will keep you in mind
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:42pm On Oct 30, 2015
skillip:
@Op, nice write up you have written. However, I have some observations to make. I think after the summary your work experience comes next, I don't have time to be looking at interest etc first, because I have too many Cv's to peruse and no time.
I will prefere this format, Summary, work experience and accomplishment just beneath each job/place you worked, skills follow etc.
Like I said it's just my opinion, I just look for what you have done first, achievments/accomplishment, matching skills etc.
Keep it up.

Works for me too. But the company the company being applied to here is into luxury vacations.

1 Like

jashar:
ok OP. So, how are you going to help people that would like a job on this forum?

I'll do a post on that later
sakalisis:
Hi OP

I am a freelance technology (Phone) researcher and entreprenuer, am a certified Java programmer coupled with my knowledge of phone and laptop repairs. I also graduated with a strong 2.1 in Physics Electronics from the best technology university in Nigeria.

My email is sakalisis@yahoo.com. I will be looking forward tp your reply.

Thanks.

Please follow the link I indicated and send your cv
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Zoehill(m): 7:46pm On Oct 30, 2015
It's a pity that we are classified as unemployable, half baked, unintelligent..... I wount blame them it's due to our economy, A country where companies are looking for cheaper labour. Has anyone ever think, why students are craving for civil service jobs either Federal or State reason being they are paid minimum wage compared to Banks that pay N40k for graduates all in the name of contract staffs. All HR personnels are saints looking for angels.......
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Aude(f): 7:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
amicable09:

Thanks Aude for speaking in favor of these HR personnel but truth still remains I am confident about my capabilities and I have a very positive mindset. One of which is whoever I finally ACCEPT to be my employer will be at an advantage and to all those companies that have sent regret mails... it's their loss not mine.

When it comes to recruitment in Nigeria the process can be altogether crazy and of course these recruiters who keep acting like they know it all and can read through the minds of prospective employees, how wrong they can be! No wonder, they recruit people with rehearsed lines and fake accent... lol. After one month, they will still return here to lament. I'll keep watching, I understand no one will be unemployed for life so very soon I will also be recruiting others, chikina! Life na turn by turn.

There's a saying that if you can't beat them you should join them (paraphrased). You have noticed that people with rehearsed lines seem to be getting the jobs, so why don't you rehearse those same lines? Trust me these recruiters have heard all those rehearsed lines but as typical human beings they like being flattered. It shows you very much want the job.
I used to have your same mindset and kept on wondering why I wasn't hired although I had a lot to offer. A lovely Nigerian recruiter critiqued my interviewing skills and I took on board everything she said. I am not Nigerian. Not long after our conversation I went for two interviews and I got offered both jobs. I am currently in the position that I felt was a better fit and obviously paid better. That is why I suggested that you have someone critique your interviewing skills. I also hope that the day you become a hiring manager you remember to choose the person with great potential, not the one who is just regurgitating what they have read online. I wish you all the best in your job search.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by obinoral1179(m): 7:51pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gold45:

Please follow the link I indicated and send your cv
please, can't find any link
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:53pm On Oct 30, 2015
amicable09:
Dear HR manager, sorry in as much as you are pained, we are also more pained. One of these days I will write an article and post my pains too. Truth is we don't know what you recruiters want! I've noticed your preferences vary as well as the CVs and Cover Letters.

We apply and get short listed, you bomb us with questions during the aptitude test that has no relationship whatsoever with the job role. Fortunately, we ace the test and are invited for an interview then you make the interview look like a war zone... very hostile looking panel throwing questions at you, other times you meet other HR Mgrs who simply act as though they are doing you a favor, haba! Me, I tire for all of these attitude sef. If there is a particular thing you are looking for just say it! if you want to pay a graduate 20k because we studied in Nigeria then say it as well, it is not when we say what we want then you will post us to a later date,, Next week! Not fair jare

Lol
Sorry about your nasty experience. Let me apologize on behalf of those Recruiters. Believe me, some applicants can frustrate a saint. it may just be a case of transfer of anger.
Then, some of these so called HR Mgrs got their jobs through connections. Many were not trained for it so lack the interpersonal skills needed.
Then, I personally screen and rate candidates mentally and psychologically so you may wonder why my questions are off point. It may just be your response I need not even your answer.
Some HR Mgrs feel they need to keep the hostile font to avoid candidates bugging them or taking them for a ride.
Sadly, some feel they are doing applicants a favour.

From your tone, you dont like being bossed around and may have issues with being subordinate. Why apply for a job, why not get yourself together, look inward and become your own boss?
You never know where your "star" lies
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:55pm On Oct 30, 2015
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:56pm On Oct 30, 2015
brainzdh:
Thanks ma'am, you've spoken well. The unemployment situation in the country is quite terrible, that's why you'll find Crop Science graduates(and the likes) applying for jobs strictly stated for Engineering graduates.

At the end, it's so much work for the HR Recruiter to start sifting the thousands of CVs for a position slated for just 5persons.

Funny enough 3months into the job, one or two of the new recruits might tender resignation letters due to a better Job offer elsewhere or sudden frustration with the job....Lolz! At the end both recruiter & the unemployed share a level of pain.

Thank you too for understanding. Its a relief to meet someone who understands.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 7:58pm On Oct 30, 2015
Olabestonic001:
My dear op, thanks for enlightening us on our errors in the job hunt. We are still evolving and I believe someone like you can be a catalyst to my career progression. I will like to have a personal chat with you.

N.B: I'm presently in a comfortable employment but who says I can't polish my "Trophy" as you"ve advised. Please kindly drop your email so that I can keep correspondence with you. Thanks so much.
jroysee@gmail.com
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by amicable09(f): 8:01pm On Oct 30, 2015
Gold45:

Lol
Sorry about your nasty experience. Let me apologize on behalf of those Recruiters. Believe me, some applicants can frustrate a saint. it may just be a case of transfer of anger.
Then, some of these so called HR Mgrs got their jobs through connections. Many were not trained for it so lack the interpersonal skills needed.
Then, I personally screen and rate candidates mentally and psychologically so you may wonder why my questions are off point. It may just be your response I need not even your answer.
Some HR Mgrs feel they need to keep the hostile font to avoid candidates bugging them or taking them for a ride.
Sadly, some feel they are doing applicants a favour.

From your tone, you dont like being bossed around and may have issues with being subordinate. Why apply for a job, why not get yourself together, look inward and become your own boss?
You never know where your "star" lies

lol... I laugh grin. Thanks jare but I have my plans and no, I love being a subordinate because I love to learn and take corrections too. This phase of my life requires I stay under someone, I'm not in a hurry to jump out and start off without proper coaching hence, my search for paid employment.

1 Like

Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:02pm On Oct 30, 2015
raayah:
Thank you for this great thread.
Very informative and entertaining grin

I think universities in Nigeria should have career services that teach job search skills like resume and CV writing and interview skills. The career services should also contact recruiters for Jobs on behalf of their students. That's how it's done in most places.

Our Universities are laughable to be honest, I got to the third year of my engineering degree in Nigeria and I had not used a computer. Not even microsoft applications. Meanwhile, First years in other countries have started designing robots, learning AutoCAD, solidworks, excel,MATLAB etc.

You just cannot compare both abeg.
Exactly, one of my long term goals actually
We need to be honest about our universities. Graduates get defensive when they hear the truth.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by amicable09(f): 8:03pm On Oct 30, 2015
Aude:

There's a saying that if you can't beat them you should join them (paraphrased). You have noticed that people with rehearsed lines seem to be getting the jobs, so why don't you rehearse those same lines? Trust me these recruiters have heard all those rehearsed lines but as typical human beings they like being flattered. It shows you very much want the job.
I used to have your same mindset and kept on wondering why I wasn't hired although I had a lot to offer. A lovely Nigerian recruiter critiqued my interviewing skills and I took on board everything she said. I am not Nigerian. Not long after our conversation I went for two interviews and I got offered both jobs. I am currently in the position that I felt was a better fit and obviously paid better. That is why I suggested that you have someone critique your interviewing skills. I also hope that the day you become a hiring manager you remember to choose the person with great potential, not the one who is just regurgitating what they have read online. I wish you all the best in your job search.

Well, you are right about the critique, I really should get someone do that for me. Thanks for pointing that out
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Nihilist: 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2015
Bennyzino:

Bros thanks for the observation but I stated it in technical prowess. ..

Bros, I'm pointing out to you what should be the in key competencies section of a CCNA holder.

You also mentioned 'networking' as a technical skill. What is that? Recruiters work with key words from the job spec. Do you honestly expect a recruiter to know or care what 'networking' entails?

I've said what I need to say. It's up to you to take the advice or not.
Re: Pains Of A Recruiter / HR Mgr by Gold45(f): 8:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
sihom:

When you do get back to your thread please help me understand the following things

1. What makes the expatriates stand out in a pool of candidates where there are Nigerians as well?

2. Why are expatriates more appealing to recruiters/employers more than Nigerians?

Questions 1 & 2 are kind of similar but please treat them separately and be brutally honest abeg.

3. Do these expatriates actually meet and exceed expectations where they end up? Do they out perform their co-workers from Naija or other African countries?

I ask these questions because I've met a good number of Nigerians who are well spoken with a good head on their shoulders and come across as well adjusted adults who can handle business at the work place.

I really don't buy this notion & idea that Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Granted a number of them may mess up during applications and at interviews but a majority of folks I've met have it together.

My honest observation.

1. The expatriates stand out because once you see a foreign university listed in the CV, it is automatically assumed they have a better and higher education regardless of their GPA
2. In addition to my first answer, some employers see it as a boost to the face of the company for customers to walk in to your company ans see expatriates. It is believed your rating / respect will soar.
3. In terms of physical abilities, Nigerians beat other countries IMHO, mentally, I'd say that if the expatriates outshine our Naija grads, its cus they had a better education, all things being equal, Naija grads are a better option.

I don't also believe Nigerian grads are unemployable, please don't misunderstand me, I simply refer to them as crude. They still need alot of polishing. Once that is done, you'll smile from ear to ear.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / 2022 Nigerian Breweries Graduate Management Development Scheme Discussion Thread / His Friends Called Him An Errand Boy, But Today His Errand Has Paid Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.