Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,753 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine (34345 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7Billion Fine / Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by ladychioma: 9:17am On Nov 02, 2015
Ncc is unfair to mtn
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by banio: 9:19am On Nov 02, 2015
MTN partly funds 9ja 2016 budget. Thanks to PMB
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by teejaypee: 9:19am On Nov 02, 2015
Nice news I guess... cos I've got like 10 Mtn Sims not properly registered and they all have data
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Michaelgates(m): 9:21am On Nov 02, 2015
Buzzj17:
Good day gentlemen. Please has anyone noticed that MTN has been taking money from our loaded balances? It happened to me and I will follow it up. I loaded N5000 on my phone. I made one phone call of about minutes to a local number. I slept and woke up and when I opened my bed side drawers, I found an loaded card which I forgot some time ago. Before loading it, I checked my balance and I had only 7350 credit. I have heard people complain about these illegal debits. Pls let's raise our voice and something about this. Few people check their balances and MTN will get away with this. They are doing this in order to pay for the penalty.
My MTN is no more browsing for 3 days now. They have started misbehaving. I think the money is too small sef
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by philips70(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Hahaahahaha you have a comedic skill boss... But wetin carry Jona for this matter? Which one be Chibok girls again? Them be mtn kids?

grin grin All join.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Kbs468(m): 9:28am On Nov 02, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Haha, you make sense oga but.. You didn't factor operation cost, maintainace of their facilities, wages and salaries, security, kick-backs that officials demand etc. Then we move to posting profit for shareholders and surviving in the market under a hard Nigerian environment. Boss, give MTN 10years and they won't be able to pay. We are talking of $5billion here o.
Boss if you actually read meaning into my comment then you will know that no other thing will be affected except share dividend slightly since the fine is not to be paid once. And the fear of paying once was responsible for the crashing of SA stock exchange last week since MTN's operation in Nigeria is responsible for their profile boosting in SA and across other African countries. So they cant afford to loss their operation licence even though Nigeria too will greatly be affected by such a withdrawal.
Have you ever wonder why the increasing ambassadorial/celebrity sponsorship contract and the huge amount paid them by this telecom companies when almost all adult Nigerians have atleast one SIM card already.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 02, 2015
Hav U eva think of buying 4rm JUMIA, but don't no how 2 go about it, Call 4 Ur fastest online MARKET xperience. Cash on +Doorstep Delivery 08136386580.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by tiffany23: 9:31am On Nov 02, 2015
THAT SERVES THEM RIGHT.... SAI BABA
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by demelza: 9:33am On Nov 02, 2015
wiseoneking:
Look at what you wasted time to write and you still get clicks Foolish LIKES. Remember that the only thing we want in this govt is CHANGE. For now, no show but rhetorics. The more noise about change is raised, the more the econowy nosedives.
E pain am!
Mumu

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Alexander001(m): 9:33am On Nov 02, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Dammit! They aren't going out of business? Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! I thought they said they would leave Nigeria? I have never wished any company downfall like i wish for MTN cheesy. MTN subscribers would pay for this, directly and indirectly.
mtn SIM is my back up from now on, no more main SIM.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by ceejay80s(m): 9:33am On Nov 02, 2015
I am throwing away My mtn sim, becos na we go suffer am, mtn go milk us sotay dem pay the money finish
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by demelza: 9:35am On Nov 02, 2015
sagaciousblog:
was this supposed to be funny??it's just too dry abeg and i wonder the kinda youths that will be liking your post..
The kind that wont visit your dry and hungry blog.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by dwesternmall: 9:37am On Nov 02, 2015
Westernmall Nigeria is hiring.

Westernmall Nigeria Ltd is an online store looking to take over the Nigerian market and offer customers better options in terms of shopping.

We are presently recruting field sales representatives (Genies)... The Starting pay is 40k and attracts handsome commissions for more sales.

interested candidates should send their CV's to ebinum.uyagu@westernmall.co.uk
and make the Subject of the email: GENIE!!!

spread the word... tell a friend.

Regards
Damien
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 02, 2015
bigtt76:
Subscribers in for trouble shaaaaaaa #aftermath

Nothing like that sister, I will be the number one to dump their SIM card for more serious minded company. That's why we have competion in the market.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 02, 2015
Admiralty616:

Nothing like that sister, I will be the number one to dump their SIM card for more serious minded company. That's why we have competion in the market.

#competition pls
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by 400billionman: 9:46am On Nov 02, 2015
So nah like this this govt wan take pay salaries. ?
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by 400billionman: 9:50am On Nov 02, 2015
akpobi:
..The only thing that will make most nigerians happy is to see the mighty fall of this network i don't care if i loose my line when they are done with paying.

They took ma NGN150 way i jst dey manage on saturday for no good reason.Don't feel sorry for them cos they've been scamming nigerians since 1960.

let them start paying up.When people complain ov this network in the phones forum i'll be wondering why they h8 them so much.

i dont even care if NCC steals the 1.4 trn,which dey will definitely do tho.

Once beaten, twice shy.

Find a way to stop them from stealing from you. Me i don master my art.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by keenn: 9:54am On Nov 02, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
just close ur eyes and imagine this was Jonathan's era:

NCC: like I was saying Mr. President, what Mtn did poses danger to our national security. preregistered sim can be used by kidnappers, fraudsters and...

MTN: Mr. President, talk to NCC na!

NCC: (Stands up angrily and points to MTN) don't think u can escape this! the president is on our side and...

JONA: (clears throat)..I am on the side of everybody, okay?

NCC: (surprised) including boko haram?

JONA: Including Asari and Tompolo sef. oh..yes! because I am the president of everybody so let us talk this thing amicably.

NCC: But...

JONA: but nothing. okay? First of all...

MTN: (interjects) go down low

NCC: what?

JONA: MTN, mind yourself. Now, first of all, I want you to hand me the case file of this..

NCC: but Sir...

MTN: (snatches file and gives to JONA).

NCC: What insolent!!!

JONA: listen, NCC, u don dey vex me sef. shey, na u be president abi na me? so, if MTN no snatch the thing commit for ur hand u go refuse abi?
okayyyy...(frowns) now I understand. You dnt even respect me anymore. I...

NCC: I am very...

MTN: shut up my friend! the president is talking!

JONA: go! I will call u later. go now!!!

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

JONA: (turns to MTN): So?

MTN: we will transfer it tomorrow morning Sir (smiling). Just as we agreed on.

JONA: I trust u. I trust u. And em...the subscribers that NCC dey shout abt now, na how many?

MTN: don't mind NCC, na just 5million o.

JONA: Jesus!!! Just 5million out of 180million Nigerians na ihn dem wan make u pay that amount?

MTN: ohoo...u sef see...

JONA: Dey go abeg. Just make sure say na alert wake me tomorrow or else..

MTN: no worry Sir. u knw us na..

JONA: I knw everybody. Oya, dey go.

MTN walks out. JONA pick ihn phone call diezani..

JONA: hello ma...hello...(shakes phone) this network sef...hello ma..oh..yea ma, it's me.....thank u...(smiles). Em...I just wan ask why I no see alert yesterday? shebi una don pay subsidy to marketers....

Who da hell is this?

I so much enjoyed ur word play, hope to see more of your skills.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by 400billionman: 9:56am On Nov 02, 2015
razid:
At least the government said they need $25billion for infrastructure. They have gotten a cool $5billion without sweating. If to say we fit get that $20billion wey Sanusi say e dey miss, the money for just complete gbam.
We no want hear any story o.

Straight to the point. Lol.

The worst thing that can happen to a man is that, he has money but does not use it well. Hope this 1 trillion builds many roads in Nigeria Julius berger grade.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by 400billionman: 9:59am On Nov 02, 2015
Buzzj17:
Good day gentlemen. Please has anyone noticed that MTN has been taking money from our loaded balances? It happened to me and I will follow it up. I loaded N5000 on my phone. I made one phone call of about minutes to a local number. I slept and woke up and when I opened my bed side drawers, I found an loaded card which I forgot some time ago. Before loading it, I checked my balance and I had only 7350 credit. I have heard people complain about these illegal debits. Pls let's raise our voice and something about this. Few people check their balances and MTN will get away with this. They are doing this in order to pay for the penalty.

Yes they do. Borrow credit and make your calls. Then recharge to pay them.

Thats the only way out. You could still get a bonus on recharging.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by philips70(m): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Hahaahahaha you have a comedic skill boss... But wetin carry Jona for this matter? Which one be Chibok girls again? Them be mtn kids?

Check your mail.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Tunagee(m): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2015
wachakuta:

By Emeka Aginam
While pleading for staggered payment model, MTN has finally bowed to pressure as it has accepted to pay the N1.04 trillion fine slammed on it last week by the telecoms regulatory authority, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

Accordingly, the telecoms operator was fine for violating its directive on SIM deactivation.

This follows series of meeting held between MTN management team from South Africa and Nigeria with the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

The telecoms operator which has largest subscriber base in Nigeria, it was gathered, may have agreed to pay the fine to sustain the interest of its telecoms business.

Industry sources who confirmed the new arrangement, disclosed that the federal government is already yielding to the plea, which according to him, was part of the agreement reached at the series of meeting held at the weekend in Nigeria.

“There have been series of meeting at the Presidency between the Vice President Osinbajo and MTN team both from South Africa and the Nigerian arm. MTN wanted a waiver considering their level of investments in the country, but government did not buy the idea of waiver. Instead, I think there will be concession, but certainly not a waiver. At the conclusion of the meeting, the MTN people negotiated on how to stagger the payment. The Presidency is even angry because MTN was a signatory to the regulation, but they are failing to comply with rules.”, the source added.

It would be recalled that NCC had said that MTN would not escape the fine, owing to the enormity of its implication to national security.

Although NCC had hinted that the issue is being handled by the federal government, the telecoms authority also noted that MTN would risk withdrawal of its licence if its fails to comply with the fine.

Even with the widespread calls for the intervention of the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), on the N1.04 trillion fine, Chief Femi Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), had last week called on the NSA not to intervene in the matter, adding that NCC regulation must take its course.

NCC said it had consistently engaged Mobile Network Operators, (MNOs) to strictly adhere to the regulations and its business rules in the registration of their subscribers.

Following several engagements, the Commission had confirmed various cases of violations of the regulations and sanctioned appropriately.

MTN bows to pressure, agrees to pay N1.04trn fine - Vanguard News
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/mtn-bows-to-pressure-agrees-to-pay-n1-04trn-fine/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

I love this news men!we are now in a no nonsense era. A repercussion of all the the injustices being done to Nigerians owing to the corrupt practices of the former administrations.Up President Muhammadu Buhari, a non onsense man

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by PRYCE(m): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Indeed a wishful thinking grin grin.. This will pass as a note of warning to other network providers.. Most of the shits they do here cannot be tolerated in SA, though I see a massive retrenchment of over 50%..
NCC should peddle down, and agree to a spread payment..

#1.04tr grin is a generation changer..
Lol @ "Generation changer"

What boggles my mind is that they knew they had a deadline cos they were forewarned but chose to not follow orders. Maybe they thought they thought they could bribe their way through this one UNTIL it became public knowledge!

Even if they end up paying a quarter of that amount, it'll still be substantial and as you said a befitting deterrent for future offenders.

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Tunagee(m): 10:01am On Nov 02, 2015
wachakuta:

By Emeka Aginam
While pleading for staggered payment model, MTN has finally bowed to pressure as it has accepted to pay the N1.04 trillion fine slammed on it last week by the telecoms regulatory authority, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

Accordingly, the telecoms operator was fine for violating its directive on SIM deactivation.

This follows series of meeting held between MTN management team from South Africa and Nigeria with the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

The telecoms operator which has largest subscriber base in Nigeria, it was gathered, may have agreed to pay the fine to sustain the interest of its telecoms business.

Industry sources who confirmed the new arrangement, disclosed that the federal government is already yielding to the plea, which according to him, was part of the agreement reached at the series of meeting held at the weekend in Nigeria.

“There have been series of meeting at the Presidency between the Vice President Osinbajo and MTN team both from South Africa and the Nigerian arm. MTN wanted a waiver considering their level of investments in the country, but government did not buy the idea of waiver. Instead, I think there will be concession, but certainly not a waiver. At the conclusion of the meeting, the MTN people negotiated on how to stagger the payment. The Presidency is even angry because MTN was a signatory to the regulation, but they are failing to comply with rules.”, the source added.

It would be recalled that NCC had said that MTN would not escape the fine, owing to the enormity of its implication to national security.

Although NCC had hinted that the issue is being handled by the federal government, the telecoms authority also noted that MTN would risk withdrawal of its licence if its fails to comply with the fine.

Even with the widespread calls for the intervention of the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), on the N1.04 trillion fine, Chief Femi Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), had last week called on the NSA not to intervene in the matter, adding that NCC regulation must take its course.

NCC said it had consistently engaged Mobile Network Operators, (MNOs) to strictly adhere to the regulations and its business rules in the registration of their subscribers.

Following several engagements, the Commission had confirmed various cases of violations of the regulations and sanctioned appropriately.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/mtn-bows-to-pressure-agrees-to-pay-n1-04trn-fine/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

I love this news men!we are now in a no nonsense era. A repercussion of all the the injustices being done to Nigerians owing to the corrupt practices of the former administrations.Up President Muhammadu Buhari, a No nonsense man.We are in a no nonsense era. up Buhari!!!!
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 02, 2015
wachakuta:
Hu is still doubting dat we have a new sheriff in town?

More Tariff for Nigeria.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 02, 2015
Am more concerned about whose account the money will be paid into
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Tunagee(m): 10:04am On Nov 02, 2015
wachakuta:

By Emeka Aginam

DSTV na una remain o! Nigerians are watching
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 02, 2015
400billionman:

Once beaten, twice shy.
Find a way to stop them from stealing from you. Me i don master my art.
simple server ... whats urs?
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by 400billionman: 10:06am On Nov 02, 2015
Gabbysky:
I think that MTN will take its revenge on any staff (permanent or contract) that supports the apc.
They would have penned down names of many Yoruba and Hausa guys already in their company that would be sacked after this.
MTN should look inward, this could be pure sabotage from some certain people, to make a competitor owned by someone from from a certain tribe in Nigeria to grow or chase out MTN from the country.
But again, what the f**k do I know?
I am just a wailer

Glo with their poor services. Dropped calls. Uneven call rates, cheap today, costly tomorrow.. When you load large amounts like N500 and N1,000 vouchers, they debit it mercilessly by morning next day. Smh..

MTN is still the best network. Thats why everyone talks about them..

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by 400billionman: 10:12am On Nov 02, 2015
akpobi:

simple server ... whats urs?

Borrow credit and talk. Later buy and recharge to pay them. They got nothing to debit.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by aprokomania(m): 10:13am On Nov 02, 2015
Buzzj17:
what are you saying?
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 02, 2015
400billionman:

Borrow credit and talk. Later buy and recharge to pay them. They got nothing to debit.

guy dat style no dey work oo na wetin i do when ma 150 gbese

i borrow 50 card,them coolect N5 to start then i loaded 2H i check na 150 remain

i send text few days later Immediately i just see one popup msg "you now have N46,lst text cos3 N4"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Application Is Used For Getting Nokia Master Code Automatically / Infinix Hot 3 Launched In Nigeria But I Think We Are Being Cheated / Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.