Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,708 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine (34343 Views)

BREAKING: Telecoms Giant MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7 Billion Fine / MTN Agrees To Pay Nigerian $1.7Billion Fine / Why We Reduced Mtn’s N1.04trn Fine – NCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by onatisi(m): 3:29am On Nov 02, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
The news is more of speculation. MTN can't afford that kind of money. Except there will be some kind of waivers, a suspended payment or spread payment. Otherwise, the company CAN'T afford it. We also can't afford to have their license suspended.
thank you.

5 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by kahal29: 3:43am On Nov 02, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
The news is more of speculation. MTN can't afford that kind of money. Except there will be some kind of waivers, a suspended payment or spread payment. Otherwise, the company CAN'T afford it. We also can't afford to have their license suspended.

Which speculation? Didn't you read the opening part "While pleading for staggered payment model, MTN has finally bowed to pressure as it has accepted to pay the N1.04 trillion fine slammed on it last week by the telecoms regulatory authority, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC)."

Take note of the word staggered...... Which is the same thing as spread payment.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by tsdarkside(m): 5:10am On Nov 02, 2015
ohhh happy days...nigeria is getting money.....yeeeeeeah.!!!... grin grin grin grin
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by uboma(m): 5:14am On Nov 02, 2015
kurupt1:
This one mtn don gree.......make mtn subscribers watch out ooo cos 200 naira airtime na 2minute calls you go make ur airtime go enter 0.45naira

Nothing of this sort will happen bro.

NCC has just assumed the role of a watch-dog. This is the role they failed to exercise earlier when mtn was fleecing Nigerians.

Its no longer business as usual for the telecom industry.

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by DonBobes(m): 5:23am On Nov 02, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
just close ur eyes and imagine this was Jonathan's era:

NCC: like I was saying Mr. President, what Mtn did poses danger to our national security. preregistered sim can be used by kidnappers, fraudsters and...

MTN: Mr. President, talk to NCC na!

NCC: (Stands up angrily and points to MTN) don't think u can escape this! the president is on our side and...

JONA: (clears throat)..I am on the side of everybody, okay?

NCC: (surprised) including boko haram?

JONA: Including Asari and Tompolo sef. oh..yes! because I am the president of everybody so let us talk this thing amicably.

NCC: But...

JONA: but nothing. okay? First of all...

MTN: (interjects) go down low

NCC: what?

JONA: MTN, mind yourself. Now, first of all, I want you to hand me the case file of this..

NCC: but Sir...

MTN: (snatches file and gives to JONA).

NCC: What insolent!!!

JONA: listen, NCC, u don dey vex me sef. shey, na u be president abi na me? so, if MTN no snatch the thing commit for ur hand u go refuse abi?
okayyyy...(frowns) now I understand. You dnt even respect me anymore. I...

NCC: I am very...

MTN: shut up my friend! the president is talking!

JONA: go! I will call u later. go now!!!

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

JONA: (turns to MTN): So?

MTN: we will transfer it tomorrow morning Sir (smiling). Just as we agreed on.

JONA: I trust u. I trust u. And em...the subscribers that NCC dey shout abt now, na how many?

MTN: don't mind NCC, na just 5million o.

JONA: Jesus!!! Just 5million out of 180million Nigerians na ihn dem wan make u pay that amount?

MTN: ohoo...u sef see...

JONA: Dey go abeg. Just make sure say na alert wake me tomorrow or else..

MTN: no worry Sir. u knw us na..

JONA: I knw everybody. Oya, dey go.

MTN walks out. JONA pick ihn phone call diezani..

JONA: hello ma...hello...(shakes phone) this network sef...hello ma..oh..yea ma, it's me.....thank u...(smiles). Em...I just wan ask why I no see alert yesterday? shebi una don pay subsidy to marketers....

walai laff don kill me cheesy
SLIDEwaxie:

NCC: like I was saying Mr. President, what Mtn did poses danger to our national security. preregistered sim can be used by kidnappers, fraudsters and...

NCC: (Stands up angrily and points to MTN) don't think u can escape this! the president is on our side and...

JONA: Including Asari and Tompolo sef. oh..yes! because I am the president of everybody so let us talk this thing amicably.

JONA: MTN, mind yourself. Now, first of all, I want you to hand me the case file of this..

JONA: listen, NCC, u don dey vex me sef. shey, na u be president abi na me? so, if MTN no snatch the thing commit for ur hand u go refuse abi?

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

JONA: I trust u. I trust u. And em...the subscribers that NCC dey shout abt now, na how many?

JONA: Jesus!!! Just 5million out of 180million Nigerians na ihn dem wan make u pay that amount?

JONA: hello ma...hello...(shakes phone) this network sef...hello ma..oh..yea ma, it's me.....thank u...(smiles). Em...I just wan ask why I no see alert yesterday? shebi una don pay subsidy to marketers....

walai laff don kill me

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Adesiji77: 5:58am On Nov 02, 2015
@ "We also can't afford to have their license suspended."

Who says? Watch as Glo, Airtel and Etisalat snap up their customers. All they need do is upgrade their infrastructure.

MTN cannot AFFORD to leave Nigeria. This is their most important market.

TonyeBarcanista:

4 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 02, 2015
I think that MTN will take its revenge on any staff (permanent or contract) that supports the apc.
They would have penned down names of many Yoruba and Hausa guys already in their company that would be sacked after this.
MTN should look inward, this could be pure sabotage from some certain people, to make a competitor owned by someone from from a certain tribe in Nigeria to grow or chase out MTN from the country.
But again, what the f**k do I know?
I am just a wailer

5 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by menix(m): 6:41am On Nov 02, 2015
Adesiji77:
@ "We also can't afford to have their license suspended."

Who says? Watch as Glo, Airtel and Etisalat snap up their customers. All they need do is upgrade their infrastructure.

MTN cannot AFFORD to leave Nigeria. This is their most important market.

If only Glo nd Co. Would be able to absorb MTN workforce, they have over stayed their welcome..
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by OlujobaSamuel: 7:12am On Nov 02, 2015
make VP Osinbajo no try influence this case oo, cuz I go para for am seriously.
NB: there is a conflict of interest, he is one of the biggest shareholder of MTN NG, so I don't want to rule out anything.

4 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Pangea: 7:24am On Nov 02, 2015
grin
Let the subscriber get ready to carry the burden!
It will not be easy o
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by slap1(m): 7:25am On Nov 02, 2015
This is very unfair to MTN. All of us go hear am!
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by PRYCE(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
At all Bro! MTN solely controls 40 percent of the our total GSM user base, and are ARGUABLY Nigeria's largest Foreign investor.

As much as I'm not their fan, I think The Government should slash that amount considerably or arrange a split payment schedule with them running into years.

I was thinking maybe the NCC should just hold them to ransom. I mean in exchange for clemency, They(MTN) should make their services more cheaper especially data services. Like N10 for 1GB....Lol! It's wishful thinking!

2 Likes

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by j4sure(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2015
They should invest the money on power and agric oooooooooooooooo
wachakuta:

By Emeka Aginam
While pleading for staggered payment model, MTN has finally bowed to pressure as it has accepted to pay the N1.04 trillion fine slammed on it last week by the telecoms regulatory authority, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

Accordingly, the telecoms operator was fine for violating its directive on SIM deactivation.

This follows series of meeting held between MTN management team from South Africa and Nigeria with the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.

The telecoms operator which has largest subscriber base in Nigeria, it was gathered, may have agreed to pay the fine to sustain the interest of its telecoms business.

Industry sources who confirmed the new arrangement, disclosed that the federal government is already yielding to the plea, which according to him, was part of the agreement reached at the series of meeting held at the weekend in Nigeria.

“There have been series of meeting at the Presidency between the Vice President Osinbajo and MTN team both from South Africa and the Nigerian arm. MTN wanted a waiver considering their level of investments in the country, but government did not buy the idea of waiver. Instead, I think there will be concession, but certainly not a waiver. At the conclusion of the meeting, the MTN people negotiated on how to stagger the payment. The Presidency is even angry because MTN was a signatory to the regulation, but they are failing to comply with rules.”, the source added.

It would be recalled that NCC had said that MTN would not escape the fine, owing to the enormity of its implication to national security.

Although NCC had hinted that the issue is being handled by the federal government, the telecoms authority also noted that MTN would risk withdrawal of its licence if its fails to comply with the fine.

Even with the widespread calls for the intervention of the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), on the N1.04 trillion fine, Chief Femi Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), had last week called on the NSA not to intervene in the matter, adding that NCC regulation must take its course.

NCC said it had consistently engaged Mobile Network Operators, (MNOs) to strictly adhere to the regulations and its business rules in the registration of their subscribers.

Following several engagements, the Commission had confirmed various cases of violations of the regulations and sanctioned appropriately.

MTN bows to pressure, agrees to pay N1.04trn fine - Vanguard News
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/mtn-bows-to-pressure-agrees-to-pay-n1-04trn-fine/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by macaranta(m): 7:29am On Nov 02, 2015
The fine is much...MTN subscribers get ready for donation.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 02, 2015
Nigeria mtn suscribers are dead in their hands o!
I just load 1500 airtime to suscribe my BIS and they gave me 3000 bonus.
I decided to call my mum since it's quite a big amout which can carry me for quit a long time!
No be here o!! 1:37 seconds they cut 2670!!

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Owliver(m): 7:30am On Nov 02, 2015
last week thursday i loaded 1400 MTN, after loading the last 100naira my balance became 1300. MTN are thieves angry
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 7:30am On Nov 02, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

let's make a comedy skit!

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Raiders: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2015
kahal29:

Which speculation? Didn't you read the opening part "While pleading for staggered payment model, MTN has finally bowed to pressure as it has accepted to pay the N1.04 trillion fine slammed on it last week by the telecoms regulatory authority, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC)."

Take note of the word staggered...... Which is the same thing as spread payment.
MTN Nigeria is not worth that amount of money. If you think MTN is going to pay NCC 1.04 trillion naira then you know nothing about MTN. NCC are also dumb for fineing MTN that amount of money when they know MTN can't afford to pay it. It make them look stupid.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by bewla(m): 7:31am On Nov 02, 2015
hope not from our pocket
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by freakcin: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2015
That's close tout 10 billion dollars. Thé money shoulder be judiciously used.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by iluvnaija: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2015
Idrismusty97:
Dammit! They aren't going out of business? Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! I thought they said they would leave Nigeria? I have never wished any company downfall like i wish for MTN cheesy. MTN subscribers would pay for this, directly and indirectly.

Mtn scam me last week o, I load N100 subscribed to 1 day data plan, after receiving their usual welcome to their plan Bla bla bla, checked balance N100 no comot o, retry the subscription again message say u re already subscribed to this plan, eh! See me see wahala, I think say dem forget to collect money, as I begin browse not up to 30sec browsing stop, make I chk balance N0.0 I shout like who loose person because na the last N100 for pocket and I say make I one play for Nairaland and social media.

Anyway that na the last money MTN go collect from me. I don port o!

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by ibkgab001: 7:33am On Nov 02, 2015
Not happy with that payment because some thief Barao will chop the money
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by BobbyDean(m): 7:33am On Nov 02, 2015
I hope they know MTN is not dumb and will take this out on Nigerians by mass sacking of workers and other ways. 1trn is too much and silly to me.
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by buzquet(m): 7:34am On Nov 02, 2015
asha80:
This fine go shake mtn
na we b thr customers go suffer am
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Smartresult(f): 7:35am On Nov 02, 2015
Buhari Cabinets Are Set To Surprise Nigerians, The New Ministers
Five month after the inauguration of president Muhammad buhari, some Nigerians, foreign investors have already started losing confidence in the new government, this is not far fetch from the fact that buhari has not appointed ministers to constitute his cabinet.
Some foreign media has already painted the new government as slow, notable among them is the Bloomberg, a New York based magazine with its popular post “from change champion to baba go slow.” Some Nigerians has already lost the hope they have for this government. This is evident from their continue reading

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Intendy: 7:35am On Nov 02, 2015
This is a with a thinking cap.
I must commend the present administration.
This is how things should be done.
it will serve as a deterrent to others
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by dyn1800: 7:36am On Nov 02, 2015
Hahahahahaha this guy dey craze I swear......if Jonathan catch you.... Hmmm you just analysis the statements "stealing is not corruption" in such a Hilarious way.... God bless your sense of humor...
SLIDEwaxie:

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 02, 2015
nah my enemies go bow. happy birthday to me
Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by dyn1800: 7:39am On Nov 02, 2015
I'll love to be part
grayht:
let's make a comedy skit!

1 Like

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by boneruns(m): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2015
I don't know why some people are happy over this, without considering the impacts on MTN workforce which comprise 99 percent Nigerians.

I see a massive retrenchment of over 50 percent, if they truly pay this fine. NCC should rethink about the consequence and lower this sanction.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN Agrees To Pay N1.04trn Fine by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:42am On Nov 02, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:

NNC LEFT ANGRILLY.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Application Is Used For Getting Nokia Master Code Automatically / Infinix Hot 3 Launched In Nigeria But I Think We Are Being Cheated / Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.