Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians (41607 Views)

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 9:00am On Nov 05, 2015
deracathy:
married-single feud.

Actually, it isn't like that.
But you see, it is very very irritating when people believe what they have is the only way in life.
It's EXACTLY the same as religious or ethnic bias.
Married people are happy, but some married people are also unhappy. Some single people are happy, but some single people are also unhappy. That is the way life is. There should be no feud.
it is just irritating when some people feel they have a monopoly on happiness, and if you don't have happiness their way, you are nothing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Femsyn(m): 9:01am On Nov 05, 2015
emzila:
ALL I KNOW IS THAT ABOUT 80% OF SONGLE, MATURED AND WORKING INDIVIDUALS ARE REALLY NOT OK BEING SINGLE, SO YOU CAN GO ON AND CONSOLE YOURSELF WHILE DECEIVING THE LADIES.

Yes, possibly! But you don't have to force it down their throats, like you're any better. Personally, i feel we are not all meant or designed to be married.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by F22RAPTOR(m): 9:01am On Nov 05, 2015
StarboyMichael:
My friend wrote this and I want to share.

Let me first declare that this post was inspired by a Facebook post by a friend. She narrated that she heard a pastor telling the married women in his congregation not to be friends with single women...the reason for his advice is that he believes they will be misled by their unmarried/single friends.

Well I am not ready to join issue with this pastor, but I will like to use this opportunity to join issue with Nigerian society as a whole. Personally, I have always believed that Nigerians have a very misguided, perverted and warped idea of a relationship or marriage.
I said so because I am talking from experience. An average Nigerian believes that once a man or woman is working, the next thing is for him or her to get married. Everywhere you go, you are bombarded with the questions of "when are you getting married?", "do you know time is going?", "what are you waiting for?", etc. In fact, the pressure is so much that if you are not a strong person, you will start thinking that you have a problem.

Now let everyone listen to me, if you are married, congratulations and I wish you well. But it is an invasion of privacy to be asking people when they are getting married. And it is wrong of you to disrespect people because they are not married. Some people even think single or unmarried people are irresponsible or lose. If you are a man, some people will also insinuate that may be you are impotent. ‪#‎smile‬. I have seen situations where some married people believe you should accord them special respect because they are married and you are not.

Let me continue by saying that I am not married and I don't need anybody's advice on why I am not yet married. I personally will not tolerate disrespect from anyone because I am not married. Neither will I accord anyone special respect because he or she is married. I will only respect you if you deserve my respect, whether you are married or single is immaterial to me.

Finally, let it be clear that single or unmarried status is not a disease that needs to be cured. And to all the single and unmarried people out there, your destiny is in your own hands. Whether you allow the society to make you feel inadequate or not, depends on you. Always remember that there is nothing wrong with you. Also, know that everybody cannot get married at the same time. In fact, I don't have problem with anyone who doesn't want to get married at all.

Thank you and share your thoughts.
Bros no mind all these shallow minded people.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 05, 2015
peppyluv02:
Not every lady you counter here is desperate or single. Ok.
You don't know my circle so don't tell me about changing it and keep your opinion to yourself.

Lols. Now you are defensive hah? grin
I guess I should have sugarcoated my words, so you can eat it all up.
I am still looking for where I said you are single/desperate, I asked you very simple questions.
*Where did you get your facile preposterous and hackneyed fact from?
*Are 80% of married couples around you unhappy? because I can bet you don't know 80% of Nigerian couples.
*Why say (not every lady you counter here is desperate or SINGLE), are you subliminally saying it's bad to be single? grin
*If I say, 80% of singles in Nigeria are unhappy _ won't you (as a sane & right thinking human) ask where I got such stat from?

Look at the top of your page, this is Nairaland...a public forum (take note of the public and forum), we don't keep opinions to ourselves here, at least not after commenting.

tivta:

Hello Mrs, can I ask a question? What are the benefits of marriage to a man? Especially when he is the only one paying all the bills? Cause I know from my folks that financial responsibility in marriage should be shared according to capacity, what pisses me of is how women of today leave all financial responsibility for the man. Eg, buying boxers for birthday but expecting a car? Please speak to your single friends not to make such mistakes
Firstly marriage is for companionship. I can't go about citing benefits of marriage to each party involved, when two become one_ it becomes a mutual relationship, not a parasitic one.

I don't know where you guys see the women that leave all to a man. Where I am, women work. The threads on victims of recent robberies in lagos as early as 6am were all woman. I guess they were going for village meeting... grin

Lols, I will speak to them. In the longrun_ they would still run their marriage/relationship as they deem fit.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 05, 2015
PresVA:
Seems you have been very unlucky with relationships? undecided

Not at all,
Seriously,
I'm not just of relationship things... And not that tis health issue...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 9:04am On Nov 05, 2015
emzila:
ALL I KNOW IS THAT ABOUT 80% OF SONGLE, MATURED AND WORKING INDIVIDUALS ARE REALLY NOT OK BEING SINGLE, SO YOU CAN GO ON AND CONSOLE YOURSELF WHILE DECEIVING THE LADIES.

I think I am getting tired of this kind of bullshit. Where did you get your statistics from? Did you carry out a Population survey of single people in Nigeria to determine your outcome? And what is the social validity of your statistic in the life of the individual single Nigerian?
Please, you can put forward your opinion, but do it in such a way that you will be listened to, and maybe reasoned along with. Your marital status is not the basic indication of your happiness, your quality of life is. Single or married, if you have a poor quality of life, you cannot be OK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by maryhaam(f): 9:10am On Nov 05, 2015
yomi007k:

Ahhh, just like dat?

May I ask why?
nothing just feel like
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 05, 2015
lestat:

Such bitter words, you need to calm down, marriage isnt what hurt you but a human being. blaming marriage wont help you

Hmmmmm
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by oloyede252(m): 9:13am On Nov 05, 2015
dearpreye:

They will never understand. What's sustaining me is that I knew exactly why I got married.......and I can categorically tell you one doesn't need to be married to be happy and fulfilled.
so your not part of the 80% unhappy married people
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by ojuu4u(m): 9:16am On Nov 05, 2015
[quote author=3Dee post=39694979]

Bros, I thought I was the only one in that shoe until I came upon ur post. The stigmatisation is real bro. There's even this man at my work place that normally ask after my mum anytime I greet him---meaning I'm still a boy who's probably living under mummy's roof and eating mummy thank you food. Can you imagine!!! angry
I still dey count am for the guy, the day wey I go surprise am with slaps don dey ripe. angryangry
Just watch out Una go hear

i dnt knw why guys that are 27yrs nd above wt stable income (graduate,artisian,buzman or contractor) refuse to marry and face so many tasks ahead squarely bt prefare to sleep around
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 05, 2015
oloyede252:
so your not part of the 80% unhappy married people

I'm happily in it. It's all about motive.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 05, 2015
3Dee:

Bros, I thought I was the only one in that shoe until I came upon ur post. The stigmatisation is real bro. There's even this man at my work place that normally ask after my mum anytime I greet him---meaning I'm still a boy who's probably living under mummy's roof and eating mummy thank you food. Can you imagine!!! angry
I still dey count am for the guy, the day wey I go surprise am with slaps don dey ripe. angryangry
Just watch out Una go hear for nairaland.cool
hahhahahahahah. Omoh, till then o
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Tamakay(m): 9:22am On Nov 05, 2015
My eyes were in a cursory mood looking for where u will tell us how old u are but I couldn't find it. But later towards d last paragraph of ur post u made it clear that my waiting to know ur age bracket is inconsequential because u said u don't care even if u dont get married. You have a point in ur post no doubt but I think it is very irresponsible when a guy/lady at 37yrs working and not thinking about marriage and u want ur parents or friends to keep quiet. Your last two paragraphs almost mar ur beautiful observations. If one read meaning to it one can easily say u are lamenting or regretting. So by rating ur post vis -a vis ur mood ur post is 75% dissuading and I pray some gullible singles/unmarried youths don't take ur ideas hook, line and sinker because ur post as I have said before is more damaging than repairs.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by livinbygrace: 9:25am On Nov 05, 2015
Marriage is good ,"Whosoever finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor of the LORD".As a single man,i don loose count of the numbers of ladies have slept with,though i dont really like the act,but i have no choice than to do the act when the urge arise.

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 05, 2015
StarboyMichael:
My friend wrote this and I want to share.

Let me first declare that this post was inspired by a Facebook post by a friend. She narrated that she heard a pastor telling the married women in his congregation not to be friends with single women...the reason for his advice is that he believes they will be misled by their unmarried/single friends.

Well I am not ready to join issue with this pastor, but I will like to use this opportunity to join issue with Nigerian society as a whole. Personally, I have always believed that Nigerians have a very misguided, perverted and warped idea of a relationship or marriage.
I said so because I am talking from experience. An average Nigerian believes that once a man or woman is working, the next thing is for him or her to get married. Everywhere you go, you are bombarded with the questions of "when are you getting married?", "do you know time is going?", "what are you waiting for?", etc. In fact, the pressure is so much that if you are not a strong person, you will start thinking that you have a problem.

Now let everyone listen to me, if you are married, congratulations and I wish you well. But it is an invasion of privacy to be asking people when they are getting married. And it is wrong of you to disrespect people because they are not married. Some people even think single or unmarried people are irresponsible or lose. If you are a man, some people will also insinuate that may be you are impotent. ‪#‎smile‬. I have seen situations where some married people believe you should accord them special respect because they are married and you are not.

Let me continue by saying that I am not married and I don't need anybody's advice on why I am not yet married. I personally will not tolerate disrespect from anyone because I am not married. Neither will I accord anyone special respect because he or she is married. I will only respect you if you deserve my respect, whether you are married or single is immaterial to me.

Finally, let it be clear that single or unmarried status is not a disease that needs to be cured. And to all the single and unmarried people out there, your destiny is in your own hands. Whether you allow the society to make you feel inadequate or not, depends on you. Always remember that there is nothing wrong with you. Also, know that everybody cannot get married at the same time. In fact, I don't have problem with anyone who doesn't want to get married at all.

Thank you and share your thoughts.
good one.

It is better to be single than to have a whole lot of problems with the opposite sex just because you are married. Marriage is not a rose of luxury but a place of regret, lusting on another party, feeling depressed, trying to tolerate one's stupidity for the remaining rest of your life which may lead to the death of one party.

There are many bad side of marriage than the good side. But HAY! if you can't hold your self, get married and try to understand the other partner more than yourself, but i still say this. IT IS BETTER TO BE SINGLE THAN TO MARRY AND HAVE A WHOLE LOT OF PROBLEM
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mkhairr: 9:31am On Nov 05, 2015
Look weda u lyk it o not married men and women deserv respect and dey r ahead of u dat re still single undecided
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Gelengelen: 9:31am On Nov 05, 2015
banio:
Humans like gossip. So we will gossip, pressurise and victimise U if U aint married. grin
and u nigerians wants tout enter heaven with Jésus with this behaviour abi?

OK....continuuuu
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Gracious10: 9:31am On Nov 05, 2015
This is the best topic on nairaland because these are everyday pressing issues which people have refused to see it for what it is.
Nobody has the right to pressurize anyone into marriage. Nigerians have that tendency to be in your business when it's obviously not their place to speak.
Single or married is no one's biz. Live and let live.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by yomi007k(m): 9:33am On Nov 05, 2015
maryhaam:
nothing just feel like

That is pure abuse of power.

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Lordnewton1(m): 9:35am On Nov 05, 2015
This country has a perverted old fashioned and uncivillized way of doing things. They dont respect peoples decisions, choices, privacy; you can relate to this if experiened life abroad. Our society be like *when are u getting married* as if they care about you. When the fact is they have nothing to offer. All the care about is how well they feed on the d-day, how ugly your wife is, the caliber of people that attended, if the husband is a rich man, and the likes...just to get something to gossip about at the end of the day.

Society is shit!.
When your are ready you will feel it in your bones .....nanny macphee...lolz but seriously

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by deeptesting(m): 9:38am On Nov 05, 2015
I am married but separated you need to see the treatment i was accorded in Church. The pastor called out all the men to wait for further discussion on an issue and i joined the crew as a man who is above youthful age.. Low and behold they separated us, single men, separated or divorced and held their meeting and never called put to put us on the know on the outcome as promised.

So i assumed their definition of a 'man" is that which is married and living with his wife and children.. Well, life is too short to hang on to the uneccessary so i quit the church.

Now searching for a new place where Jesus Christ the non discriminator is present.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mmsen: 9:40am On Nov 05, 2015
Nigeria should be encouraging people to get married later and have fewer children.

Instead, backwards village people are attacking those rational Nigerians who act in the best interests of themselves and the wider society.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Chinwem(f): 9:41am On Nov 05, 2015
omoarole:

Actually, it isn't like that.
But you see, it is very very irritating when people believe what they have is the only way in life.
It's EXACTLY the same as religious or ethnic bias.
Married people are happy, but some married people are also unhappy. Some single people are happy, but some single people are also unhappy. That is the way life is. There should be no feud.
it is just irritating when some people feel they have a monopoly on happiness, and if you don't have happiness their way, you are nothing.

Well said
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by deeptesting(m): 9:42am On Nov 05, 2015
I am married but separated you need to see the treatment i was accorded in Church. The pastor called out all the men to wait for further discussion on an issue and i joined the crew as a man who is above youthful age.. Low and behold they separated us, single men, separated or divorced and held their meeting and never called back to put us on the know on the outcome as promised.

So i assumed their definition of a 'man" is that which is married and living with his wife and children.. Well, life is too short to hang on to the uneccessary so i quit the church.

Now searching for a new place where Jesus Christ the non discriminator is present.

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 05, 2015
mkhairr:
Look weda u lyk it o not married men and women deserv respect and dey r ahead of u dat re still single undecided
this is a lame man MENTALITY undecided

A MARRIED men and WOMAN IS not less better than a single man or WOMAN.

The two DESERVE an equal amount of respect, the only problem is just that this fvcked up society want you to believe that marriage is everything WHERE by the same fvcked up society put less interest on divorce undecided

So if you said marriage men and women DESERVE much respect, what about the divorce undecided

Rethink your step again

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 9:45am On Nov 05, 2015
Tamakay:
My eyes were in a cursory mood looking for where u will tell us how old u are but I couldn't find it. But later towards d last paragraph of ur post u made it clear that my waiting to know ur age bracket is inconsequential because u said u don't care even if u dont get married. You have a point in ur post no doubt but I think it is very irresponsible when a guy/lady at 37yrs working and not thinking about marriage and u want ur parents or friends to keep quiet. Your last two paragraphs almost mar ur beautiful observations. If one read meaning to it one can easily say u are lamenting or regretting. So by rating ur post vis -a vis ur mood ur post is 75% dissuading and I pray some gullible singles/unmarried youths don't take ur ideas hook, line and sinker because ur post as I have said before is more damaging than repairs.

You see, that is the whole point of the post. Nobody has said that people should not give advice. It is the way you insinuate that if I am not married by the age of 50yrs, that I don't have any reason to live for, is the annoying thing. Read the post very well, what brought it up was the statement by the pastor cum false prophet that said that married women should not be friends with single women. That is outright stigmatization. And look at the post of everyone that has commented in their experience about being single, their experience is that of stigmatization. It is totally different from advice.
And I am not sure that anyone can give another person ideas that can be taken hook line and sinker about NOT GETTING MARRIED on nairaland...that's quite funny....its not only gullible, it is stupid and retarded...
The moral is this. People are married, good enough for them. People are single, good enough for them. If you want to give advice to someone about their marital status, give it in a civilized manner, the same way you will give them an opinion about their religion or their ethnicity.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 05, 2015
deeptesting:
I am married but separated you need to see the treatment i was accorded in Church. The pastor called out all the men to wait for further discussion on an issue and i joined the crew as a man who is above youthful age.. Low and behold they separated us, single men, separated or divorced and held their meeting and never called back to put us on the know of the outcome as promised.

my brother, because of this things, I hate going to church. There are very good in impacting a strong mental frustration on you subconsciously. The church is becoming something else nowadays, that's why women are much in the church than male. Because we men don't want anything that will tamper our mental status.

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 9:55am On Nov 05, 2015
deeptesting:
I am married but separated you need to see the treatment i was accorded in Church. The pastor called out all the men to wait for further discussion on an issue and i joined the crew as a man who is above youthful age.. Low and behold they separated us, single men, separated or divorced and held their meeting and never called back to put us on the know on the outcome as promised.

Brother, do not be discouraged.
We fall into this issues when we look at people and not at Jesus Christ our Lord and saviour.
One of my friend used to say : Everybody follows Christ except Christians. Christians have lost their way. The Christians of Act 11:26 have ceased to exist. By that your church's standards, Jesus himself was not a man. And Paul was not a man. And James and John sons of Zebedee were not men. Because at the beginning and peak of their ministries, they were not married.
Please, put your faith in God and do not trust the doctrine of men. Be like Christ. And look for that real church, where God is worshippped in Spirit and in Truth.

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by deeptesting(m): 9:55am On Nov 05, 2015
sonofananimal:
my brother, because of this things, I hate going to church. There are very good in impacting a strong mental frustration on you subconsciously. The church is becoming something else nowadays, that's why women are much in the church than male. Because we men don't want anything that will tamper our mental status.

You are correct...It is said "No one can put you down without your consent". If i can't find a church that will not discriminate me on my marital status then i guess my parlor becomes my worship center every Sunday..
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by baronchuks(m): 9:57am On Nov 05, 2015
My dear..such shouldn't border u...just plan yourself and move at your own pace...u don't go into something u know u ain't ready cause u are pressured to do so...in all..b wise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by baronchuks(m): 9:59am On Nov 05, 2015
Lol
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 05, 2015
deeptesting:

You are correct...It is said "No one can put you down without your consent". If i can't find a church that will not discriminate me on my marital status then i guess my parlor becomes my worship center every Sunday..
which church you won't see discriminating one's status!

Infact most of them regards the single as irresponsible and won't give you a reasonable post unless you are married, whereby the bible is the exact opposite of what the church are doing nowadays!

Shall my closet have already become my worship center every Sundays

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Wife Gave Birth To SS, I’m AA And She Is AS – Husband / When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12 / The First Time You Met Your In-Laws: Share Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.