Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,318 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? (10793 Views)

Don't Lose Hope In Nigeria, Buhari Tells Youths.. / One Year After -buhari-done Enough To Inspire Hope ..... Femi Adesina / Mbaka's Prophesy That Will Restore Your Hope In Buhari's Administration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:16pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Lol. My guy, drop all these quotes please. We all know this but the question is how. How does a person who views changing as a taboo change? Tell me.
Who is it that views change as a taboo?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by luvinhubby(m): 11:18pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
But the Semi-Sharia Law here, I mean where I reside, affects everyone. No alcoholic drinks is allowed but that has still not affected business here.

Alcoholics are sold in 3, 4 & 5 star hotels in UAE. It also prohibits prostitution, but there shakmuths all over the country.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
Who is it that views change as a taboo?
I've met Igbos who think that Yorubas are Naturally built with the Betrayal gene. I've met Yorubas who think the Igbos are too arrogant and troublemakers. I've met Hausas who see an Igbo man as an Infidel who deserves death. All these people I've met share the idea that any contrary opinion is a taint on their sound wisdom.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2015
luvinhubby:

Alcoholics are sold in 3, 4 & 5 star hotels in UAE. It also prohibits prostitution, but there shakmuths all over the country.
Now you are helping me make my point. It will not affect their businesses.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2015
noblezone:

Just like when Igbos were accused of being BH, I said its a lie.

America and Israel were also accused of being BH, and I say it's a lie.

Recently, Iran has accused Christians of working in partnership to destroy the shia community and Ivan saying its a lie.

Unman Dan Fodio made Rivers of blood in northern Nigeria during his Jihardism.

Was he inspired by Ihejirika, Israel, USA or CAN?

As you love to protect your tribe, so do we love to protect ours.

Enemies of Nigeria ate those who invade Enugu communities and kill them while they are sleeping.

Shall we fold our hands while we bleed for nothing?

Enough.
Well look at it this way: You believe all your assertions are right while those you're against are wrong. An independent mind will likely find the truth in between yours and theirs; and he can't do that by looking at one side only.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by luvinhubby(m): 11:27pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Now you are helping me make my point. It will not affect their businesses.
And you are missing my point, no one imposes sharia law on anybody in UAE, if they do, the country will be desolate in1 yr.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:28pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Myself and My Society. But then what does this your introspection entail? Does it allow asking questions that bother on your existence? Does it cover questions on how we treat a fellow human being? What does it really mean?
And the best place to start the reorientation is from the "Myself." Malcolm X was a murderer, but his contribution to Black history will never be forgotten. He's got the American system to contend with,but he rose above all those.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
I've met Igbos who think that Yorubas are Naturally built with the Betrayal gene. I've met Yorubas who think the Igbos are too arrogant and troublemakers. I've met Hausas who see an Igbo man as an Infidel who deserves death. All these people I've met share the idea that any contrary opinion is a taint on their sound wisdom.
We all have our prejudices, but are they real?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
Well look at it this way: You believe all your assertions are right while those you're against are wrong. An independent mind will likely find the truth in between yours and theirs; and he can't do that by looking at one side only.

One thing you cannot deny is the extreme conflicts of interests.

I remember The Reinhard Bonke riots, the Miss World riots, and others

In all, our people were attacked and killed in the name of God.

We hold the sanctity of him a new life to the extreme. And our fellow citizens find pleasure to shed innocent blood at will.

Please, balance the argument.
How do we build a great nation together?

1 Like

Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 29, 2015
luvinhubby:

And you are missing my point, no one imposes sharia law on anybody in UAE, if they do, the country will be desolate in1 yr.
Of course I understand you. And UAE is a country but our regional autonomy will be only about states within a State. If a Republic's sovereignty is built on freedom of Religion, that is, it is Secular, is a Sharia state not contradicting such Republic's position?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
We all have our prejudices, but are they real?
Of course they are not. How do we change them if we are not willing to look at them or discuss them?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
And the best place to start the reorientation is from the "Myself." Malcolm X was a murderer, but his contribution to Black history will never be forgotten. He's got the American system tocontend with,but he rose above all those.

I need your advice, how do we respond next time when the Fulani herdsmen attack a community in Enugu?

One, we are not murderers like them and to, we don't want the attacks to continue.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
And the best place to start the reorientation is from the "Myself." Malcolm X was a murderer, but his contribution to Black history will never be forgotten. He's got the American system to contend with,but he rose above all those.
How? What are the things you address?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by luvinhubby(m): 11:42pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
Of course I understand you. And UAE is a country but our regional autonomy will be only about states within a State. If a Republic's sovereignty is built on freedom of Religion, that is, it is Secular, is a Sharia state not contradicting such Republic's position?
Nigeria is not a secular state, the word secular does not even appear in our constitution, Nigeria is a multi-religious state and a sharia state in such a republic does not contradict anything, my point is with true federalism, proponents of sharia or whatever can do so at their regional levels, if investors deem it fit with their sharia set up to bring investments to them, they thrive, anything contrary to it, they hunger.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:43pm On Dec 29, 2015
noblezone:

One thing you cannot deny is the extreme conflicts of interests.

I remember The Reinhard Bonke riots, the Miss World riots, and others

In all, our people were attacked and killed in the name of God.

We hold the sanctity of him a new life to the extreme. And our fellow citizens find pleasure to shed innocent blood at will.

Please, balance the argument.
How do we build a great nation together?
By you and I wanting to build a great nation.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Dec 29, 2015
luvinhubby:

Nigeria is not a secular state, the word secular does not even appear in our constitution, Nigeria is a multi-religious state and a sharia state in such a republic does not contradict anything, my point is with true federalism, proponents of sharia or whatever can do so at their regional levels, if investors deem it fit with their sharia set up to bring investments to them, they thrive, anything contrary to it, they hunger.
But this is what the Nigerian Constitution has to say about it: “The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion". Do you agree with this or you'd like me to post the section?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:50pm On Dec 29, 2015
Reyginus:
How? What are the things you address?
Just do a good thing tomorrow, however small. That starts the process.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by nduchucks: 11:51pm On Dec 29, 2015
@Reyginus, you seem to have a refreshing viewpoint, from what you've posted so far.

How do we get out of this conundrum? I'm all ears
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by MalcoImX: 11:54pm On Dec 29, 2015
noblezone:

I need your advice, how do we respond next time when the Fulani herdsmen attack a community in Enugu?

One, we are not murderers like them and to, we don't want the attacks to continue.
It's not exclusive to your place. Whoever breaks the law must be punished?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 29, 2015
MalcoImX:
C'mon, this is how a better world is built and not how a state can function. The morality exhibited in our relations to others is very vital in the existence of a state but that morality to be a wonderful creature touching lives is personal. Anyone can choose suicide or any personal immoral act but that which involved treating others must be dully followed. I don't know if you get me.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by nduchucks: 11:59pm On Dec 29, 2015
noblezone:

Wouldn't you agree with me that it is better to nip the Herdsmen issue in the bud rather than being reactionary about it? If the herdsmen can travel across the country as they've done for the past couple of hundred years without their livelihoods threatened by urban sprawl and other life threatening incidents, you will not have to worry about herdsmen defending themselves.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 30, 2015
nduchucks:
@Reyginus, you seem to have a refreshing viewpoint, from what you've posted so far.

How do we get out of this conundrum? I'm all ears
It's very difficult. I'm not pessimistic but our differences will be too large for it to work. Our problem in this country, that is, pertaining unity, is simply the problem of Religion and Tribalism. And we cannot wipe out the two. Doing what Europe did will go a long way in helping us.

Let people with similar ideology, language, and beliefs go their separate ways no matter how small in number they are. We are too heterogeneous. I don't think we can ever understand our differences. We wonder why Africa today is in a mess but we don't see how our differences are responsible. Europe understood this and used it effectively.

1 Like

Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 30, 2015
MalcoImX:
By you and I wanting to build a great nation.

With chances of bring slaughtered for no reason by our. fellow citizen in the name of God?

1 Like

Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by nduchucks: 12:12am On Dec 30, 2015
Reyginus:
It's very difficult. I'm not pessimistic but our differences will be too large for it to work. Our problem in this country, that is, pertaining unity, is simply the problem of Religion and Tribalism. And we cannot wipe out the two. Doing what Europe did will go a long way in helping us. Let people with similar ideology, language, and beliefs to go their way no matter how small. We are too heterogeneous. I don't think we can ever understand our differences.

As a practical matter, the idea of letting people with similar ideology, language, and belief go their way may actually give rise to hundreds of tiny countries which are worse off in every ramification than Nigeria. Take any major tribe, say Yoruba, you'd note that the tribe does not have a common ideology language or religion. There are Xtians, Moslems, Animists, Ogun worshippers etc among them. The same can be said for every other major tribe in this great country.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 30, 2015
nduchucks:

Wouldn't you agree with me that it is better to nip the Herdsmen issue in the bud rather than being reactionary about it? If the herdsmen can travel across the country as they've done for the past couple of hundred years without their livelihoods threatened by urban sprawl and other life threatening incidents, you will not have to worry about herdsmen defending themselves.

In other words, they were threatened, that is why they are killing.

Is that your point?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 30, 2015
nduchucks:

As a practical matter, the idea of letting people with similar ideology, language, and belief go their way may actually give rise to hundreds of tiny countries which are worse off in every ramification than Nigeria. Take any major tribe, say Yoruba, you'd note that the tribe does not have a common ideology language or religion. There are Xtians, Moslems, Animists, Ogun worshippers etc among them. The same can be said for every other major tribe in this great country.

You have countered his view point,
Now, what is your own suggestions?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:18am On Dec 30, 2015
MalcoImX:
It's not exclusive to your place. Whoever breaks the law must be punished?

I am yet to hear of any punishment or measures against the rampaging herdsmen.

Now. did you say law?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 30, 2015
nduchucks:

You are using an example that would not be as effective. Using the Yoruba as a reference point in this case is not possible because even without having a state to call theirs they have been able to coexist irrespective of Religion. It's only a Yoruba man who has a Christian wife, a Christian first son, a Muslim daughter, a traditional worshipper for a brother but yet make nothing or little out of it.

The Tiny countries in Europe show it's workable. Our fear should be how to start so as not to end up like South Sudan with a fake Freedom Fighter and Foolish President. The start is what matters. The problem may also arise from improper separations. Like forcing people of a different tongue and values eg, IPOB forcing SS states to join in the union because of the mineral deposits.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by nduchucks: 12:23am On Dec 30, 2015
noblezone:

In other words, they were threatened, that is why they are killing.

Is that your point?

It is very easy to trivialize a very difficult and complex problem, but that will never be helpful. The herdsmen have very legitimate problems which affects their lives and livelihoods. At the same time other Nigerians who have become involved in conflicts with the herdsmen also do not deserve justice.

The current administration will come up with a plan to address the fundamental and root causes of these problems and find reasonable solutions. One would expect such solutions to include reserving land areas across the country (much like a 'herdsman' highway) and making those areas exclusively for the transportation of cattle and family of the herdsmen who also have a constitutional right to free movement across this great country.

You people have your own highways where you transport your goods and families peacefully; the herdsmen deserve nothing less. As long as their needs are neglected by our governments, I'm afraid the trouble will continue.
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 30, 2015
MalcoImX:

Not retaliating the senseless killings of our people is a good thing.

But for how long shall watch them invade our lands and kill us?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by nduchucks: 12:26am On Dec 30, 2015
Reyginus:
You are using an example that would not be as effective. Using the Yoruba as a reference point in this case is not possible because even without having a state to call theirs they have been able to coexist irrespective of Religion. It's only a Yoruba man who has a Christian wife, a Christian first son, a Muslim daughter, a traditional worshipper for a brother but yet make nothing or little out of it.

The Tiny countries in Europe show it's workable. Our fear should be how to start so as not to end up like South Sudan with a fake Freedom Fighter and Foolish President. The start is what matters. The problem may also arise from improper separations. Like forcing people of a different tongue and values eg, IPOB forcing SS states to join in the union because of the mineral deposits.

I cannot come up with any scenario which could jumpstart your idea without resulting to war, as a practical matter. Would you be kind enough to profer a path towards this utopia?
Re: Who Else Can Inspire Hope In Me For Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:27am On Dec 30, 2015
nduchucks:

It is very easy to trivialize a very difficult and complex problem, but that will never be helpful. The herdsmen have very legitimate problems which affects their lives and livelihoods. At the same time other Nigerians who have become involved in conflicts with the herdsmen also do not deserve justice.

The current administration will come up with a plan to address the fundamental and root causes of these problems and find reasonable solutions. One would expect such solutions to include reserving land areas across the country (much like a 'herdsman' highway) and making those areas exclusively for the transportation of cattle and family of the herdsmen who also have a constitutional right to free movement across this great country.

You people have your own highways where you transport your goods and families peacefully; the herdsmen deserve nothing less. As long as their needs are nglected by our governments, I'm afraid the trouble will continue.

Whatever their challenges cannot explain attacking people sleeping and killing them.

Don't be too sure about this government, a President who divided his country into 95% and 5% has nothing good to offer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Court Restrains EFCC, Police, DSS From Arresting Fani-kayode And Odumakin / Sen. Orji Uzor Kalu Wants APC To Postpone Convention / Defection: Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking Sack Of Saraki, Dogara, 52 Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.