Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50175 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by jstriker442(m): 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
lrguru:
GREAT.... I missed UNIBEN sha
whch department
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by TI1919(m): 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
The simple answer is pride, the engineering student often feel they are professionals while Mathematicians are not, mean while an engineer can't survive without Mathematics

undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Descartes: 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
iWise:

Bros, em, em..., have you heard about simple functions? What can you say about their significance with respect to the Lebesgue integrals of almost continuous functions? Least I forget, how do you categorize Lorentz forces and their significance in the study of body forces?

Do they even know what Zemelo's principle is? Jokers
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
kobonaire:
Please be specific : it is Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering students that do the most amount of challenging mathematics during their courses.
am not sure bro. I ain't an engineering student
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by oshe11: 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry
mathematicians know the basics quite alrite, bt teach an Engineer d basics n he wud solve dat questions hich U av bn struggling to solve for yrs in a week....

Kip talking abt algebra et al, Niggy av U seen foundarion design and structural engineering?

Need nt say much, truth is...... Its dose from oda depts dat gave us dat accolades kos dere is ntin in Engineering witout calculations......

An Engr go even find calculation inside GNS 101(English Language)
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
sabi99:
Engineering students are mathematicians......they can solve better than maths students most times. Tell me that aspect of maths that we engineers don't use in analysis, is it matrix, permutation n comb, Lagrange method of interpolations, differentiation n integration, mathematic which covers bending moments n shear forces, Laplace transforms n fourier series, statistics(bernoulli eqn, poissons, measures of disperssion, measures of central tendency etc),trigonomery, linear equations n simultaenous linear equ, polynomial equ, partial fractions, graph plotting,linear algebra, complex numbers, hyperbolic functions, determinants,probality, ode(ordinary differential equ), n many more but I know some mathematics topics are strictly for maths students but just gv d same topic to engineers n they will pieces it. NoTE: I av seen a maths student reads maths text with dictionary, I don't kn what he's actually doing with it, I av also seen d same guy reading a novel with a calculator......are all of them maths students? No offence though

Bros, no vex. Have you heard about Eilenberg-Steenroid axioms for homology theory?

I'm sorry, this is way way "simple" for an expert like you. What about "axioms of choice"?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by killsmith(f): 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
Engrpj:
No one does it better than An Engineering student...

Jack of all trade

Masters of all calculus

Reservoir of knowledge

Originator of Linear algebra

Maestro of real analysis

Solution to ordinary differential equation

Experts in Laplace Transforms and Fourier
series

Click like if u feel that......
Laplace....Fourier....o.d.e....linear algebra?....lwkmd....have you heard of number theory,measure theory,functional analysis,groups rings and modules,semigroup theory,topology,Lebesgue integral.....my Friend, spread mat sleep

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
jstriker442:
whch department
mech Engr
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
playerinc:

You and most pple studying Mathematics are doing dat because they couldn't get admitted to study Engineering. #word
is dat all u can say? Well, i was passion driven to study math. Suite urself

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Oga read ur comment nd laugh at urself undecided
I don't need to, a comprehensive view of your topics already gave me an idea how this would go.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by abbey621(m): 6:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
Only in Nigeria are those who studied pure Mathematics considered inferior to Engineering students. The truth is both fields are completely different in the ways they practice. In Nigeria, Mathematicians are mostly relegated to the teaching profession while Engineers can work basically anywhere. In advanced societies a Physicist could be more versed in mathematics than a Mathematician or an Engineer, it's all about skills and paths chosen throughout educational career. Finally most people don't realize this but in Nigeria, Mathematics is taught rather than practiced. In the advanced world, a real Mathematician is a researcher, a formulator and the brains behind most Engineering concepts. E.g. A computer engineer is trying to develop a cooling microchip for a processor basically meant for data processing involving operands and other data from the library of congress. Without complex mathematically analysis this would be impossible, without the formulas from great Mathematicians the Engineer would be lost!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Djtm(m): 6:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:
With all ur algebra and analysis, how many stuff have u guys made with it
u jst pack abstract in ur head with no hope of converting it to a reasonably useful thing
and u re happy abt it
smh to u guys
Haha. This guy is ignorant AF. No problem tho. I used to think the same way some years back till I realized mathematics is the basis of everything. In computing that is. All those tech companies you buy their products hire a lot of Maths PhDs. You know nothing sir.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by dododawa1: 6:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
mathematics for engineering While English is for OTHERS
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Raphijoe64: 6:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
I got nothing to say in dis topic cos a lion can NVR back like a dog.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
stop feeling inferior....... engineering students always do better in mathematics that's why even the banks prefer them, the fact that you gave an engineering student and he couldn't solve it doesn't mean he doesn't know it. his workload for a semester is your workload for a session as a mathematics student. if you gave an engineering student a mathematics and it took him 4hrs to solve that means if the engineering student gives you a question it will take u 4years to solve it. Maybe you should go and ask why we have to spend 5years in school and do more workload than a mathematics student. not condeming any course but truth be told engineers solve more complex mathematics than normal mathematics students. proudly Engineer

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
charix:
https://www.nairaland.com/2556702/what-reason-behind-low-up

This is a sample thread exactly like the ones the OP is used to opening.
At first I assumed it was created by a lecturer or working class citizen wondering why things were the way they were at the moment - I prayed the thread was opened by someone with developed critical thinking skills at least.

After contributing twice and seeing both the OP and a similar minded fellow shout my views down, the OP later confesses that he(or she) just got enrolled into university to study statistics(no guarantee in anway they would even graduate from the course).
What I'm trying to say is experience something fully so you can list the pros and cons of the experience, not coming to make noise about it before or midway through the experience without a guarantee you'd see it through.

Empty vessels always make the loudest noise.
Lol bro dats bcuz nigerians are yet to be enlightened bout d wonder of studying math. Give nigeria 10yrs nd u will see math applicants wud exceed medicine grin jokin tho lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by alcuin(m): 6:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
Descartes:
@Durentt, don't mind the engineers, have you tried them on analysis, abstract algebra Measure Theory and lebesgue integral or on discrete mathematics and logic? Mathematicians are unique people. Go to NASA most people doing the encryption and decryption are Mathematicians as well as in other intelligence units in there. But in Zoogeria it's a different ball game. I respect Mathematicians not convertibles like the engineers who rely heavily on the models produced by Mathematicians.

I will just laugh at comments like these.

In Petroleum Engineering, we do lots of modelling, abstract mathematics, finite element analysis, calculus etc.

There is nothing intelligent about this thread, Mathematicians have their role, so also are the Engineers.

But, I think the Engineering student should be given a Diploma in Mathematics upon graduation.

Thanks.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 6:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry
the mental/reasoning capacity of an average engineering student is higher than that of mathematics students. This is because engineering as a course of study helps student in developing their psychological(logical) reasoning. Thus, making mathematics the easiest course in engineering.

Could remember my 100l days in university of Benin, when physics, mathematics and engineering students wrote the same maths exams. The number of'As' engineering students had outnumbered that of maths and physics students combined.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
rasheed329:
lol. U didn't apply for mathematics during Jamb my guy. so stop Ranting. @Accept the fact, Engineers should be rated very high. cus apart from Mathematics, do u know how many other calculation courses engineers offer? we don't only do Mathematics, we do lots of calculations in general.. never argue when an Engineer tells u his better in Calculations cus We Are "CALCULATORS" A.K.A problem solvers
see smelly talk undecided
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
I seriously feel sorry for this OP.
Better face your studies, you know nothing.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by alcuin(m): 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
Please, OP, just try and solve a regular Engineering problem, maybe in fluid mechanics or thermodynamics.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by jstriker442(m): 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
lrguru:
mech Engr
400 lvl elect/elect
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by funkyfella: 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
It's not about who can solve maths bro. Engineers are more likely to get good paying jobs than mathematicians.........all over the world......sorry bro, you know this already.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Descartes: 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
alcuin:

I will just laugh at comments like these.

In Petroleum Engineering, we do lots of modelling, abstract mathematics, finite element analysis, calculus etc.

There is nothing intelligent about this thread, Mathematicians have their role, so also are the Engineers.

But, I think the Engineering student should be given a Diploma in Mathematics upon graduation.

Thanks.

I will only pardon your ignorance but will left your comment for real Mathematicians.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by princealexndre(m): 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
see smelly talk undecided
durentt enter f.p at last..congrats bro
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
Engrpj:
No one does it better than An Engineering student...

Jack of all trade

Masters of all calculus

Reservoir of knowledge

Originator of Linear algebra

Maestro of real analysis

Solution to ordinary differential equation

Experts in Laplace Transforms and Fourier
series

Click like if u feel that......
no be only like, i wish there was a dislike button

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Cos there is always a degree of calculation involved in all we do.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
killsmith:
Laplace....Fourier....o.d.e....linear algebra?....lwkmd....have you heard of number theory,measure theory,functional analysis,groups rings and modules,semigroup theory,topology,Lebesgue integral.....my Friend, spread mat sleep

Chairman, why you go mention number theory na? You wan melt em brain ni? Na wa u ooooo...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Coz we're damn good at Maths. I love Mathematics so much when i was in school and will impact it on my future kids. Lol.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
tdayof:
majority? what type of engineering student are you talking about? probably those who are not serious with their studies.
I am an aeronautical engineering student. Most aeronautics students will surely tear your caculus into pieces .

I see, integrate x raised to 4 plus 8 multiplied by x raised to 2 plus 16 all divided by x raised to 2 plus 4, you should be able to get it sha, i just formed the question now. would've typed it mathematically for you, but i dont know how to use this nairaland typesetting environment with html or latex.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Descartes: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
abbey621:
Only in Nigeria are those who studied pure Mathematics considered inferior to Engineering students. The truth is both fields are completely different in the ways they practice. In Nigeria, Mathematicians are mostly relegated to the teaching profession while Engineers can work basically anywhere. In advanced societies a Physicist could be more versed in mathematics than a Mathematician or an Engineer, it's all about skills and paths chosen throughout educational career. Finally most people don't realize this but in Nigeria, Mathematics is taught rather than practiced. In the advanced world, a real Mathematician is a researcher, a formulator and the brains behind most Engineering concepts . E.g. A computer engineer is trying to develop a cooling microchip for a processor basically meant for data processing involving operands and other data from the library of congress. Without complex mathematically analysis this would be impossible, without the formulas from great Mathematicians the Engineer would be lost!

That's the truth but would you blame them?
sholikay:
@Op..let me tel u the truth an engineering student wil always be superior to a mathematics student.based on the fact that we put all our calculation into something real and productive,bt the mathematicians only solve and solve nothing to work out in real..so also an engineering student can confuse u with proving..an engineering student can prove to u that 1+1=5..like the pix below me..lol
Good Lord grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Classmates Console SS1 Student As She Breaks Down In Tears After Being Dumped / Checkout How This Student 'Padded' Himself - Photo / 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.