Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,412 members, 7,830,077 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50242 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by crispgg: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
I studied electrical engineering. The individual who made that assertion doesn't know what he is talking about.

The lecturers who took us engineering mathematics made it clear that we were simply making use of what the mathematicians had done.

Most of us were relieved when we ended the engineering mathematics courses in 400 level. But note that some engineers are actually very strong in maths. My HOD then told us that he got his first PHD in mathematics before doing his electrical engineering PHD.

So it's an interwoven relationship. Not independent of each other. Even true computer scientists are mathematicians more or less.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
sabi99:
Engineering students are mathematicians......they can solve better than maths students most times. Tell me that aspect of maths that we engineers don't use in analysis, is it matrix, permutation n comb, Lagrange method of interpolations, differentiation n integration, mathematic which covers bending moments n shear forces, Laplace transforms n fourier series, statistics(bernoulli eqn, poissons, measures of disperssion, measures of central tendency etc),trigonomery, linear equations n simultaenous linear equ, polynomial equ, partial fractions, graph plotting,linear algebra, complex numbers, hyperbolic functions, determinants,probality, ode(ordinary differential equ), n many more but I know some mathematics topics are strictly for maths students but just gv d same topic to engineers n they will pieces it. NoTE: I av seen a maths student reads maths text with dictionary, I don't kn what he's actually doing with it, I av also seen d same guy reading a novel with a calculator......are all of them maths students? No offence though

guy listen to youself and stop this pride... this are just mere application mathematics to real life problems. i swear if u are to use some of those elementary proofs in probability in statistical survey methodology u go Bleep up big time. please go win this war with statistician before coming for mathematicians.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by UGLYS: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Cauchy01:
What engineering students are good at is Calculus,ODE...buh mathematics is more than Calculus...when they go into functional analysis...complex analysis...algebra...then they know that khaki no be leather

Teach them those topics and they will show you even better ways to solve them.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Chrisx1x(m): 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
tdayof:
majority? what type of engineering student are you talking about? probably those who are not serious with their studies.
I am an aeronautical engineering student. Most aeronautics students will surely tear your caculus into pieces .

which calculus are u refering 2? U mean the burrowed calculus which u are being taught?what u did in sch was just the application of calculus as regards to ur field.plz stop generalizing.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
martineverest:
Engineering maths is a combination of pure and applied mathematics; psychology and engineering.
bro stop deceiving pple. Move abeg angry
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
Couldn't count the number of times mathematics and computer science students came for solution to mathematical problems... My classmates(mechanical engineers), then, ran tutorials for maths students
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
sabi99:
Engineering students are mathematicians......they can solve better than maths students most times. Tell me that aspect of maths that we engineers don't use in analysis, is it matrix, permutation n comb, Lagrange method of interpolations, differentiation n integration, mathematic which covers bending moments n shear forces, Laplace transforms n fourier series, statistics(bernoulli eqn, poissons, measures of disperssion, measures of central tendency etc),trigonomery, linear equations n simultaenous linear equ, polynomial equ, partial fractions, graph plotting,linear algebra, complex numbers, hyperbolic functions, determinants,probality, ode(ordinary differential equ), n many more but I know some mathematics topics are strictly for maths students but just gv d same topic to engineers n they will pieces it. NoTE: I av seen a maths student reads maths text with dictionary, I don't kn what he's actually doing with it, I av also seen d same guy reading a novel with a calculator......are all of them maths students? No offence though
i hate it when pipu says engineers are mathematicians. Really?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 6:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
bro stop deceiving pple. Move abeg angry
pained mathematicians
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Seunbukola187(m): 6:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
And 200lvl u say bro! The maths courses run thru 400lvl where they eventually knw whatsup with theorems like JACOBI,LAGRANGE series of theorems I can't even remember. Buh those days we cram and pour during exams but tell us to prove we r gud@it.I tell u
Durentt:
calculus my ass. All d 200lvl elect engr students i know are dealing with indices nd logarithm in their borrowed courses. MEC ENGR. Doin Vectors nd d rest. And dey be feeling fly
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
dododawa1:
math is for engineering While English is for OTHERS
LWKMD grin see how he's talking as if maths is one ordinary course
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Alfred234(m): 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
Engineering students can never know maths than mathematics students because they only do few math courses...
They think its about those little Algebra,Vectors and Real Analysis.
They should come and do maths like Line integral, Differential equations, Laplace transform e.t.c they will confess that Jesus is lord.
Math no be beans, Am now doing statistics as my major I can't kill myself plus statistics has more job advantage than mathematics in a country like Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
i hate it when pipu says engineers are mathematicians. Really?
stop lamenting. Engineers are scientists and mathematicians
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
After reading through this thread , I see reason why English should be made a four unit course for every engineering and mathematics student .

Do not quote me.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
Kaylexzy:

Somebody!!!

Please give dis dude a medal of honour... cool
medal of honour abi hot slap. He Jst cam here to spill trash

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by tanimola22: 6:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
Remii:
because most maths students got to read maths after failed attempts to gain admission to read engineering

I wanted to pass up this statement but decided to respond in order to enlighten the younger people who might be reading this.

Yes, your submission used to be very true at least 10 years ago, but things are changing. The number of people choosing to study Mathematics at undergraduate level has risen astronomically over the last 10 years. This partly is responsible for the increase in cut-off marks for gaining admissions into Maths. It's also responsible for the improved performances of Maths undergraduates nowadays as more and more intelligent people are choosing to study Mathematics as their first choice. Previously, it was 'they gave me Maths because I couldn't enter Engineering or Computer Science. Now, it's becoming ' I'm doing Maths because I chose it while filling my JAMB form. The result - a sharp increase in 1st class, 2:1 and 2:2 Maths graduates.

When I did Mathematics some years ago, nobody wanted me to do it because they thought the only option I had was to become a teacher. The thing is that the awareness of the relevance of Mathematics has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, and many people are making a more informed decision to study Maths because they, at least, have a clue of where it's likely to land them.

The notion of people reading Maths because they couldn't get into Engineering is fading, and we need to be aware of this. It is however not untrue that some people still accept Maths because they couldn't get into not only Engineering but also Computer Science.

If you genuinely have access to JAMB/Post-UME data, you'll agree that my somewhat contrarian opinion is plausible.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Methodman123: 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Calculus........ Integration .............laplac....
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
UGLYS:

Teach them those topics and they will show you even better ways to solve them.

Well, if you glance through the Mathematics department website at the university of Harvard, there is a statement in there that goes thus "Note that no one can teach you mathematics, all we can do is guide you", or something like that sha.

As an aside: due to the many years an average Nigeria trained engineer spends learning crap maths, it is extremely difficult to condition their minds for real mathematics, where your computational abilities or lack of it makes no difference. I am a student of Descartes and for that reason, i believe maths is more of an art. Oh, how I love those elegant greek symbols such as: epsilon, delta, lambda, alpha, beta etc. Beautiful, I say.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by amazingspiderma: 6:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
sholikay:
@Op..let me tel u the truth an engineering student wil always be superior to a mathematics student.based on the fact that we put all our calculation into something real and productive,bt the mathematicians only solve and solve nothing to work out in real..so also an engineering student can confuse u with proving..an engineering student can prove to u that 1+1=5..like the pix below me..lol
Oboy check your work 10-10 is zero.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kobonaire(m): 6:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
TheSlyone:

Which University is that
abu
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 6:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Alfred234:
Engineering students can never know maths than mathematics students because they only do few math courses...
They think its about those little Algebra,Vectors and Real Analysis.
They should come and do maths like Line integral, Differential equations, Laplace transform e.t.c they will confess that Jesus is lord.
Math no be beans, Am now doing statistics as my major I can't kill myself plus statistics has more job advantage than mathematics in a country like Nigeria.

A typical mathematics student. If you must brag about topics in mathematics don't brag with differential equation Laplace transformation, fourier series , these are topics meant for engineers .

Abeg brag with maths we I never do before.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by unongu(m): 6:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:
With all ur algebra and analysis, how many stuff have u guys made with it
u jst pack abstract in ur head with no hope of converting it to a reasonably useful thing
and u re happy abt it
smh to u guys
Without the analytical theories, empirical eschatology and computational extrapolations, there will be no engineering, no technology, no successful invention, no Internet, and by extension, no Seun Osewa... cheesy cheesy cheesy... Correct me if I'm right! grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by tdayof(m): 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
Chrisx1x:
which calculus are u refering 2? U mean the burrowed calculus which u are being taught?what u did in sch was just the application of calculus as regards to ur field.plz stop generalizing.
i didnt do borrowed calculus, spent so many hours on caculus on my first year. I have seen so many mathematics and statistics student whose mathematics knowledge is below mine. i would say this mathematics ting is about knowing it. some mathematics student just do mathematics and they are bad at it.

I dont know about other engineering students but am sure of aeronautics. Mechatronics, mechanical and others dropped calculus before us.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
kobonaire:
abu
I graduated from ABU also, so am quite electrical engineering students offers more Mathematics elective than their mechanical counterparts
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
jstriker442:
400 lvl elect/elect
was in 400 level in 2004. how elect/elect?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by adwaani(m): 6:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry

I am a second year mechanical engineering student at KNUST.This semester we studied differential equations,and I have to say due to this course alone, I duff my hat to all mathematics students.The fact remains though engineers and mathematicians must maintain a very close relationship because most engineering problems are made simpler if you understand the mathematics behind the problem.Sometimes when we have an engineering lecture like fluid dynamics and the lecturer writes those weird partial differentials on the board the only person I can thank for understanding those weird things are the lecturers from the maths department who put us through hell......nuff said, mathematicians are a special breed and so are mechanical engineers.......

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
mordtonia:
I seriously feel sorry for this OP.
Better face your studies, you know nothing.
ok sir abi na ma? You dnt sound lik someone dat knows anytin either
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by amazingspiderma: 6:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
Has anyone noticed that most of the best mathematics textbooks were written by engineers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by demsid(m): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
martineverest:
the mental/reasoning capacity of an average engineering student is higher than that of mathematics students. This is because engineering as a course of study helps student in developing their psychological(logical) reasoning. Thus, making mathematics the easiest course in engineering.

Could remember my 100l days in university of Benin, when physics, mathematics and engineering students wrote the same maths exams. The number of'As' engineering students had outnumbered that of maths and physics students combined.
true talk. Proud to b an engineer. Wen there's a maths course that brings engr Students and maths students together in my sch. Go check d results wen it's out. The ans to d op question is on d board.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
amazingspiderma:
Has any noticed that most of the best mathematics textbooks are written by engineers.

Talk am again.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
princealexndre:
durentt enter f.p at last..congrats bro
bro first time ever oooh grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by sholikay(m): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
amazingspiderma:

Oboy check your work 10-10 is zero.
check the workings very well,its just a case of expanding and dividing like terms..
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
Cauchy01:
What engineering students are good at is Calculus,ODE...buh mathematics is more than Calculus...when they go into functional analysis...complex analysis...algebra...then they know that khaki no be leather
those are elementary maths.i did caunchy riemann,legandre,Fibonacci,Fourier serieses etc in my fourth year. Mind u,I can see an engineering question that entails 3-6 serieses

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures) / Two Nigerian Universities Break Into Africa's Top 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.