Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

MEND Attacks Lagos - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Attacks Lagos (24291 Views)

Poll: If true, this attack is:

horrible: 67% (116 votes)
wonderful: 32% (55 votes)
This poll has ended

Boko Haram Attacks Monguno And Baga / This Is ARMED Mend. 48hrs Before The Explosions In Abuja. video. / Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 6:39am On Jul 14, 2009
I raise my glass to criminal cartels, Nigeria's final hope.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 6:42am On Jul 14, 2009
nothing else happening here?

I'm off to check what's going on in Chicago where it seems the criminal cartels are trying to declare their own war on civil society.

na America sha, so its all good! shocked Not like Nigeria at all!
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 6:47am On Jul 14, 2009
Ahem, I think the events to which you refer took place in Chicago of the 1920's, with such leading men as Al Capone and Machine-gun Kelly providing the thrills.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 14, 2009
Jakumo:

Ahem, I think the events to which you refer took place in Chicago of the 1920's, with such leading men as Al Capone and Machine-gun Kelly providing the thrills.

is that so!

sorry to disappoint you!

I'm sure my source must have mispelled the dates then. wink Probably got comprehension problems, I guess. Cant tell the difference between 1920 and 2009. Some journalists are just illiterates- the reporters must be Nigerian wink
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 6:50am On Jul 14, 2009
I am entertained and certainly not disappointed by your rewrite of American history.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 14, 2009
addendum^^
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 6:59am On Jul 14, 2009
All is forgiven Tpia. When can we get naked again ?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Abagworo(m): 7:13am On Jul 14, 2009
Why is it so difficult to grant total resource control to oil producing states?i just dont get it.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ThinkRait: 8:08am On Jul 14, 2009
I find most of the posts on this thread appaling.

Yes, MEND might be fighting a just cause, the question is: ARE THEY READY FOR A FULL SCALE WAR?

My point:

Looking at the location of Atlas Cove, I find it difficult to believe that the MEND would come with speed boats all the way from the Niger Delta (PHC or Bayelsa, since JTF claims they've destroyed the camps in Delta state).

There are several naval bases between Bayelsa and Lagos. How did speed boats pass undetected?

I see this as a government propaganda. OR as an excuse to bring back fuel scarcity.
Some people may want to cash in on the ND crisis to make money.

If MEND are truly behind the incident then it is clear they are working with the military authorities.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by FrankC3: 8:19am On Jul 14, 2009
This guy still does not appreciate the magnitude of the challenge before Nigeria as a nation. Look, MEND is real and the attack is real. It is in your best interest not to under-estimate the resolve of a wounded lion.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Viper06: 8:36am On Jul 14, 2009
MEND please dont attack lagos, the malignant pipelines are heading north to a wrongly sited refinery and insatiable reservoirs. those are the ones that are inviting your wrath and inferno.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by mayrho(m): 8:43am On Jul 14, 2009
Honestly I think the next point of call is Abuja they have made a statement that they are unstoppable cry cry cry cry cry 4 Nigeria
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 8:52am On Jul 14, 2009
ThinkRait:

Yes, MEND might be fighting a just cause, the question is: ARE THEY READY FOR A FULL SCALE WAR?
There are several naval bases between Bayelsa and Lagos. [b]How did speed boats pass undetected?

[/b]If MEND are truly behind the incident then it is clear they are working with the military authorities.

A speedboat running at night and carrying no illumination under a moonless sky is practically invisible and silent, unless sentries with night-vision gear happen to be scanning the inky blackness at the precise moment the demolition squads spirit themselves across the water towards their targets.

The cavernous loophole exposed in Nigeria's coastal defences 24 hours ago will be a particularly difficult one to address, given the sheer expanse of the area to be guarded against shadowy adversaries long used to a watery theater of war.  

An end game is at hand in Nigeria, the outcome of which will shape her destiny in profound ways.  With the nighttime loss of her main fuel importation docks in a single strike, and with no domestic fuel production to speak of, the "Giant of Africa" has now officially transitioned into what a Chinese proverb refers to as "Interesting Times", from which it will no doubt emerge, in one form or the other, and at a cost yet unknown.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by darqly(m): 8:55am On Jul 14, 2009
Who or what does MEND represent? I can't say that they are the voice of the niger-delta. Just a bunch of brigands with a D-I-Y manual on terrorism, theft and extortion.
I'm amused whenever their PRO issues those his press releases, laced with grandiose queen's english and poetry grin

MEND is a military problem, that requires a military solution. They steal crude to finance their operations and enrich their coffers, and blame the rest of Nigeria for their lack of initiative and penury.

With or without their antics, Nigeria's Oil production will and is dwindling. All the oil companies are jumping ship because its cheaper to operate in Angola, Sao Tome and even Ghana than to sponser mercenaries to wipe out the menace called MEND.
MEND has never enjoyed public support or sympathy, and these unwarranted attacks on the populace will attract only animosity and retribution on the entire clan that they claim to represent.

So they bring the whole nation to a standstill then what next? We all gather in the creeks and drink our crude to survive??
Our military is just all talk no action, I can't imagine the army command watching its personnel get whupped EVERY time: On Land, On Sea, what happens if MEND purchases a fairly used F-10? angry
MEND is criminal and is bad for Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by GeorgeD1(m): 8:59am On Jul 14, 2009
just listen to yourself! i'm not sure you know half the meaning of those
words you are spewing out.
what will happen next, you ask? just wait and see!
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by quadrey(m): 9:12am On Jul 14, 2009
this is some scary stuff if true cos it means nowhere is safe and we should start gearing up for a full scale war! naija i dey hail oo
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 9:23am On Jul 14, 2009
mend weather na theif or not no matter

abi na ghana must go baffoons wey still want the constitution de like that, so make they chop more

as long as no body is kidnapped, killed

let them go after gov,senators lagos, abuja etc

then we will see

David Mark

sayin NOOOOOOOO, thats trannancy oooo

so hmm
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 9:26am On Jul 14, 2009
as for full scale war

na big lie!!

they know what the wahala is

simple wahala wey need simple adjustment in constitution so we all live and enjoy our country for betterment of all

a country that there will be opportunity for starter

not ghana must be looters NOOOOOOOOOO!!

but they just keep pretendin like they dnt know
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by presido1: 9:30am On Jul 14, 2009
Those of you shouting "Full Scale" war, who are you warring with if i may ask.  Mend is just a group and not a country or a separatist nation. They only operate on Guerrilla formulae. No particular base or anchor point. They attack and disappear into thin air. You might be suprise that your close door neighbour in Kano, Lagos or Abuja is a member of Mend. They strike and he come back home and mingle with the society waiting for the next attack to be drawn up.
Nothing like war that's why the FG is finding it difficult to contain them.

Why did FG ignore them for all this years, Keeping adamant and being arrogant can never help and i think it is too late now to go back to the discusion table which i doubt anything meaningful will come out of it.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by asha80(m): 9:37am On Jul 14, 2009
presido1:

Those of you shouting "Full Scale" war, who are you warring with if i may ask. Mend is just a group and not a country or a separatist nation. They only operate on Guerrilla formulae. No particular base or anchor point. They attack and disappear into thin air. Ymight be suprise that your close door neighbour in Kano, Lagos or Abuja is a member of Mend. They strike and he come back home and mingle with the society waiting for the next attack to be drawn up.ou
Nothing like war that's why the FG is finding it difficult to contain them.

Why did FG ignore them for all this years, Keeping adamant and being arrogant can never help and i think it is too late now to go back to the discusion table which i doubt anything meaningful will come out of it.

You dey mind them.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by xxxinchdep: 9:45am On Jul 14, 2009
We should stop arguing about empty promises.our possibilities are in our hands do not blame no one or argue. the only way to move forward is to go back and give back in a positive way. there is lots of potentials in nigeria but less opportunity. how long can the arguement of mend go on, how long can the govt keep failing the people. how many wars and blood shed has to cost our country. i wonder if the leaders do see everyday people and understand their plight.
we can see the generation change in the music, life ,ideas. however, we dont see that in the leaders. we can cry for so long, but what will make the change sometimes it fears me that it would come to the last solution war
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by sirt1(m): 10:01am On Jul 14, 2009
I salute the courage of the MEND for the struggle to free themselves from the politics of "national cake sharing" at the expense of the masses. But my reservation is the effects of this attack on the commom man. I think MEND and other freedom fighter groups should come together and have discussion on how to foster a common goal of freedom.If anything to go by, I think the target should be the sit of power and not any area.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nezan(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2009
sir t:

[size=28pt]I salute the courage of the MEND for the struggle to free themselves from the politics of "national cake sharing" at the expense of the masses[/size]. But my reservation is the effects of this attack on the commom man. I think [size=28pt]MEND and other freedom fighter groups should come together[/size] and have discussion on how to foster a common goal of freedom.If anything to go by, I think the target should be the sit of power and not any area.

I dont think MEND are doing anything more than seeking to have they share of the national cake via terrorism. I dont think they are true freedom fighters angry
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by CGKing(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2009
Nigerians too talk, thats why we dont get anything done!
See thread. . .10 pages, 3000views in less than 24hrs.
All these talks wetin e don bring?

Talk is far better than sitting down like dummies. What good does sitting down do? Talking and hearing what the Nigerian ppl think is the first step to progress.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Abeskey: 10:50am On Jul 14, 2009
This is actually horibble and uncalled for.These disgruntled elements have derailed from the course they started with to becoming saboteurs of our economy.They have caused pains to fellow Nigerians all in the name of freedom fighting.I wonder what they feel for and about the families and dependants of souls that have been lost so far in these their self acclaimed freedom fight.It is another thing to blow out oil installations and another thing to kill innocent citizens all in the name of militarianism.
Where were they during the days of abacha only for them to emanate from the blues in the wake of our nascent democracy.These is actually a threat to the oneness of this great country.
I want to believe they have achieved what is there to be achieved through their endless wars.What else do they want.They have been able to gain international insight and recognition into the niger delta issue which is a plus for them.They have been able to institutional the course of the region in the minds of the people which is another plus.They should be reminded that the damage they are fighting to repair didn't begin yesterday and that it's a problem that has lingered over time and can't be corrected overnight.
Mend should cease fire and allow for time to heal their wounds.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by darqly(m): 11:00am On Jul 14, 2009
You might be suprise that your close door neighbour in Kano, Lagos or Abuja is a member of Mend.
@presido, I find that highly unlikely. They live in their creeks where they operate from. Our military is just bloody inept and is treating them with kid-gloves hence their feeling of accomplishment.

@nezan, true talk- They're just thieves, call a spade a spade.

For the war-mongers(referred to henceforth as Hawks), I doubt ANY of you has been in a gunfight before, or seen your loved ones thirst and starve because you ALL were too scared to go look for food. U hawks are based overseas and are clamouring "WAR WAR WAR", come and enlist now if you mean it, either for your beloved MEND or FGN as the case may be.
People with full bellies and a good job DON'T clamour for war, its mainly the have nots, who have nothing to lose in the first place!
Dokubo has a fleet of exotic vehicles, his followers are ALL ragtag riffraff, where's the correlation?

Thats where the real monkey dey work, baboon dey CHOP bigtime.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Jakumo(m): 11:12am On Jul 14, 2009
darqly:

People with full bellies and a good job DON'T clamour for war, its mainly the have nots, who have nothing to lose in the first place![/b]Dokubo has a fleet of exotic vehicles, his followers are ALL ragtag riffraff, where's the correlation?

War can be very profitable for bulk arms dealers, oil smugglers and mercenary groups like South African-based Executive Outcomes, many of whose kingpins conduct business on the phone, poolside at their French Riviera chalets, while being ministered to by topless nymphets.   So no, [b]the poor never clamor for war
, since they lack the means to flee the combat.   Quite a few of  the of the super-rich, on the other hand, got that way with blood money, and thus actively foment brush wars worldwide.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 14, 2009
For me its senseless and barbaric. So what will happen to the families of those killed and traumatized in this stupid armed struggle. I think the government should start an offensive that will wipe out these criminal elements.

Its beyond a struggle cos three innocent souls were lost in the attacks and hundreds of lives have been lost in other attacks. Its simply stupid cos you can't kill in the name of emancipation and expect support from humane folks like me.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by debosky(m): 11:32am On Jul 14, 2009
Yar'adua should sack his defence chiefs for this astonishing breakdown of security, but we know it won't happen.

Viper06:

MEND please dont attack lagos, the malignant pipelines are heading north to a wrongly sited refinery and insatiable reservoirs. those are the ones that are inviting your wrath and inferno.

That pipeline has been blown apart already at Chanomi Creek. This is a very intelligent move by MEND. We don't depend on local refined products, we rely on imports so if you attack that, you can make the general populace feel a DIRECT effect of the problems, thereby putting even more pressure on the government.

Be prepared for more of such attacks.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by FBS: 11:37am On Jul 14, 2009
Can we then say bye bye to Nigeria?  shocked
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by mrsb(f): 11:43am On Jul 14, 2009
Confirmation of the attack:

Attack on Atlas Cove on Sunday night:

• Attack was carried out by MEND faction loyal to Tom Polo, one of MEND'S factional leaders.
• According to intelligence report the men first assembled in EPE , a town situated on river bank about fifty kilometers from Lagos.They had consultations with some groups presumably their kiths and kins, the Ijaws and carried out reconnaissance of Lagos waterways.
• They finally attacked the Atlas Cove in the night killing a Navy Lt. Commander, two Naval ratings and two civilians ,all were on duty in Atlas Cove,
• Ten civilians were wounded and are being hospitalized.
• Attackers came in three to four speed boats, heavily armed and tried to gain access to the facility but were repelled by gunfire from the Navy. They blew up the manifold and pipeline conveying refined petroleum, causing mighty conflagration
• The fire was put out in the morning and repair work has commenced
• It is believed that the men have not left Lagos coast and may attack the facility again or carry out attacks on Government facilities or oil facilities
• This attack was not directed at any particular oil company, but oil and companies are advised to review their security countermeasures to ensure that their facilities are protected
• Expatriates are advised to consider suspending their trips to the beach, as some kidnappings could be carried out
• Personal security should be given attention
• It is reported that Sunday attack was provoked by the trip of the Attorney -General of the Federation and Minister of Justice to Sao Tome and Principe instead of hastening the presidential directive that Henry Okah, leader of MEND should be released.
• This attack in Lagos outside Niger Delta lends credence to the claim of MEND that it would carry the attack to Northern Nigeria, the claim which has triggered reactions from the North. If any part of the North is attacked the country may witness a mini civil war. Already MEND has advised indigenes of Niger Delta resident in the North to return home.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply)

I Sacrificed My Presidential Ambition For Buhari –Tinubu / Coup Imminent If Rivers Crisis Persists - Abdulsalami Abubakar / Truth About The Planned Demolition Of Gbagyi-Villa, In Kaduna Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.