Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

MEND Attacks Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Attacks Lagos (24171 Views)

Poll: If true, this attack is:

horrible: 67% (116 votes)
wonderful: 32% (55 votes)
This poll has ended

Boko Haram Attacks Monguno And Baga / This Is ARMED Mend. 48hrs Before The Explosions In Abuja. video. / Expect More Bombing, Mend Threatens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 10:01am On Jul 13, 2009
Wow. . . .MEND sending out a strong and defiant message! shocked undecided
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by amarilo: 10:04am On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime:

katakata don burst. . . . I just siddon look, waiting for Yar'Adulls response. . . . the topics he submitted to the SNC for discussion included nothing on federalism and regional autonomy. . . . coconut head, na stone dem dey use break am.
The End of Nigeria is getting nearer.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 10:07am On Jul 13, 2009
amarilo:

The End of Nigeria is getting nearer.

You think so?
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2009
Nigeria has been ruled as no more than a piece of land that the strongest can seize. The methods of rulership and the laws employed are the same colonial laws used to exploit us. Last time I heard, there was an offence called "wandering".

We need a national conference to negotiate how our various groups and cultures can co-exist. Anything short of that only draws doomsday closer.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by amarilo: 10:14am On Jul 13, 2009
Will be happy if the next target is Hilton when it is packed with those thieves and their family. maybe celebrating birthday of one them.
Chei its not funny but i go laff die.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by mayrho(m): 10:15am On Jul 13, 2009
God help us Where is my passport
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 10:18am On Jul 13, 2009
mayrho:

God help us Where is my passport

Only passport.
You no get liver?
I would have thought scared 9ja's might be looking for our independence papers to sell.

My friend, stay back and fight for yourself and family.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by mayrho(m): 10:23am On Jul 13, 2009
oga with the investment on my life i think he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 10:29am On Jul 13, 2009
katakata don burst. . . . I just siddon look, waiting for Yar'Adulls response. . . . the topics he submitted to the SNC for discussion included nothing on federalism and regional autonomy. . . . coconut head, na stone dem dey use break am.

The North is still practicing a doctrine of rulership perfected by Ahmadu Bello.  Ahmadu Bello used advisors broadly and cared less if they were educated or not.  

Conversely in the South, your degree is your voice, scr_w the wisdom.  Many local Chiefs in the South had lamented for years on the erosion of regional power and autonomy and they were ignored.  

The North is not going to champion it.  The Hausas are not happy to have Fulanis rule over them but there is a delicate balance in the language and the religion that serve their political needs.  The Gwaris and the Kwais and other sub-ethnic groups in the North are not happy with the cultural domination by Hausas but are more than happy to aquiesce and compromise with them under the umbrella of the Islamic Arewa.  In these structures are opportunities to exploit vulnerable and weak seams of togetherness.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Epiphany(m): 10:31am On Jul 13, 2009
It is so unfortunate that this is beginning to happen in Lagos, where a lot of Nigeria's commercial wealth and influence begins. This indeed, apart from the crude oil installations in the south, is where the effect can be felt by the Federal Government the most - should MEND decide to escalate these attacks there. Other than that, if the FG decided to continue ignoring these guys, their boldness may increase and they will attack some more - and maybe take these attacks to the hinterland, and not only along the coastal areas

It is seemingly 'small' events like these, if allowed to blow up, that can start a civil war. It will be in the interest of the FG (and the world at large) to once and for all, get these guys to sit down with them and iron out whatever issues are at stake. Nigeria is too large a country to allow to deteriorate into a full blown war. The effects will not only be felt in West Africa/Africa, but the world at large.

You know, i have always said that Nigeria has been blessed in the past. Events that could have resulted in full blown wars were somehow dissipated. Let this not be the straw that breaks the camel's back
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 13, 2009
I honestly don't know if that is a blessing

Because you cherish freedom when you fight for them
Sometimes there is need for chaos to appreciate the essence of civility on both sides.

I subscribe to the school of thought that says that Nigeria has no progressed as far as it should have because it got independence without firing a shut.

Maybe we are spending too much time nursing our wound than going for an outright cure.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 10:46am On Jul 13, 2009
Let this not be the straw that breaks the camel's back

No it will not.  They are not going to attack and stay in the vicinity.  They will hit and return home or stage a remote station nearby.  A remote base far away from home increases risk.  So their damages cannot be sustained to an extent where it will result in an open warfare.  

An open warfare will result say if they start to target and kill civilians.  Their mission is to disable oil supply.  But given some of the responses here it appears that some individuals have tribal agendas and would love it if MEND would target and kill people, thus solidifying their own entry into the confrontation and a lifelong desire to seize and own Lagos.  A dissilusioned desire.  cool
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by titsqueez(m): 10:52am On Jul 13, 2009
i have often wondered why these attacks are carried out in the heart of the south south when really there are pipes carrying oil from from Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Delta to to nothern territories like Kaduna and Kano. It is about time we stop blowing up our own land. MEND are now realising that these attacks should be outwith the south south region
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 10:55am On Jul 13, 2009
This could get really nasty.

The sad part of this is that most 9ja's are ignorant of the Delta persons single mindedness. People are forgetting about Great Ogboru's coup against IBB were they had to import J5 vans to carry out the attack because Delta folk aren't well represented in the army. Yet they all but succeeded. For 24 hours certain states were excised from the country on condition that they apologised for misrule.

I don't doubt that MEND is ready for any eventuality. They have rejected amnesty.

We need seize this moment to collectively clamour for the long overdue national conference.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Epiphany(m): 10:55am On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

No it will not.  They are not going to attack and stay in the vicinity.  They will hit and return home or stage a remote station nearby.  A remote base far away from home increases risk.  So their damages cannot be sustained to an extent where it will result in an open warfare.  

An open warfare will result say if they start to target and kill civilians.  Their mission is to disable oil supply.  But given some of the responses here it appears that some individuals have tribal agendas and would love it if MEND would target and kill people, thus solidifying their own entry into the confrontation and a lifelong desire to seize and own Lagos.  A dissilusioned desire.  cool

This is where the problems may begin. If they continue hitting and running or in the end, achieve their aim by dissabling the oil supply, that is still a big problem. In an economy where everything runs on fossil fuels - cars, aeroplanes, generators, kerosene for cooking - this event will be catastrophic. If this particular attack is not nipped in the bud, these guys may be more emboldened and continue these guerilla warfare attacks

Wow, people that are hoping for MEND to target and kill people is absolutely ludicrous. The problem with this is that innocent people end up being killed and those WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO DIE will end up escaping with their families.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ow11(m): 10:57am On Jul 13, 2009
Looting can not go on forever, those who nurse ambitions to maim and intimidate to get their hands on Nigeria's oil money should have a re-think. People can not continue to live in abject poverty and wish their rights be given to them, they will rise up and fight! MEND may not be successful in the long run but they have awoken something in the psyche of Nigerians that in the future will take this country away from the thieving hands of the rogues in offices today.

All these tribal nonsense will cease the day Nigerians see that their future is mortgaged daily for unnecessary feasts and commodities, the better for us. MEND believe they are fighting to free the Ijaw and SS minorities from poverty but their bold efforts should be complemented by all Nigerians suffering in this country and demand better governance from their leaders.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by amarilo: 10:58am On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Having an out post outside ND means their demise, They will attack when the need be and mix up with Lagos populace immediately after that. They are not out to kill people rather to send a massage to the FG that they can as well take guerrilla warfar within distance of your domain.

Nobody want to claim Lagos dude, stop mis-informing forumites, can't you see that Lagos has passed it, AbJ is the way to go now and very soon Mend will strike then and only then that those thieves will take them serious.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

How will anybody who is not Yoruba or the aboriginal people in Lagos seize and own Lagos

what people come up with on Nairaland is scary. Folks stop being cynical for the sake of it, this is 2009
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Ibime(m): 11:01am On Jul 13, 2009
hehehehe. . . . . Negro Ntns is exposing his innate fears. . . . who want seize Lagos? Bwahahahahahahaha.

That slum called Lagos should be bulldozed to clear space for manageable development. grin
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by olabukola: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2009
The news is even here. This is serious.
http://goldkornmoney..com/2009/07/mend-attack-lagos.html
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by titsqueez(m): 11:11am On Jul 13, 2009
^^^^
you never see anything yet
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 11:14am On Jul 13, 2009
Everyday monkey de go market. One day e no go return. No Shaking.

Rights for the Delta and all Nigerians cool
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 11:15am On Jul 13, 2009
Epiphany,

The exploitation and theft of Southern oil is criminal.  CNN has covered it, BBC has covered it. . . yet US government and Europeans have done nothing to bring about reform, although they keep hollering about human rights abuse in the Niger Delta.  It's all talk but no concrete action.  Instead they back the oil companies rights to operate commercially and protect against threats.  So then let us ask, where's Nigerian government's interest.

If we are going to talk about where the oil money has gone and how it is distributed then we need statistical and economic reports as well as budgetary records.  These are professional fields and the people who for many years generated these reports are not the Hausas. . . it was the Southerners.  The Northerner may be a ruling elite but the Southerner is equally a technocrat elite.  To say that for all of these years the Southerner has not evolved ways in which to outsmart the Northerner in a field where the Southerner holds the comparative advantage is beyond belief.  

If I were at all involved in the mediation of this problem I would encourage both sides to first of all form regional think tanks led by professionals and academics.  I will keep politicians out of the mediation meetings and only meet with the egg heads.  The politicians channell their voice and opinion through the think tanks.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by ow11(m): 11:17am On Jul 13, 2009
In Sunday's statement, the group said the problems facing Nigeria were "nothing to do with militant freedom fighters but with the corrupt political leadership and certain arrogant tribes still living on past glory".

culled from the BBC website

Some more reasons why downtrodden Nigerians should get off their backsides and demand for their rights. A full blown war is a terrible thing to live in but the activities of the ruling class is breeding this unnecessary loss of lives and infrastructure.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 11:22am On Jul 13, 2009
How will anybody who is not Yoruba or the aboriginal people in Lagos seize and own Lagos

If you know where to look and have the right strategy. . .it can be done. In its history Lagos has been seized multiple times and its leadership converted over. Each time, the invasion hit the same weakness.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Tonynwosa: 11:25am On Jul 13, 2009
we should all join MEND in their struggle, this is what the govt. has brought upon itself and naija as a whole.The struggle should be for a better naija. look at the Power situation,roads,strikes,general welfare is zero.Those in govt should be the target for kidnap. Remember that they have loved ones and love life too.but they've put all that away and they are ready to die for their land,they die everyday yet they push on.these are the kind of men it'll take to change naija, men that are willing to lay down their lives, all we do is suffer but smile.Generators is now a way of life,irregular academic calender is normal,fuel scarcity every now and then is expected,rigging of election is the way, SHAME ON US,
I dont care what anybody thinks or says as long as they dont kill innocent people members of MEND dead or alive will remain HEROES of their land-Naija Delta.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by diehard1: 11:28am On Jul 13, 2009
since it has gotten to this level,  we need to pray to God. Naija no get security so they can strike wherever they wish oh. Imagine someone driving a truck filled with dynamite to the front of a high rise or bridge or wherever. Booooom, the police etc is handicapped to fight crime not  to talk of guerilla warfare. How do u check what people r carrying, who has what etc. The federal government has to com out fast with a lasting and sensible solution for the whole country will move forward.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 11:32am On Jul 13, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Epiphany,

The exploitation and theft of Southern oil is criminal.  CNN has covered it, BBC has covered it. . . yet US government and Europeans have done nothing to bring about reform, although they keep hollering about human rights abuse in the Niger Delta.  It's all talk but no concrete action.  Instead they back the oil companies rights to operate commercially and protect against threats.  So then let us ask, where's Nigerian government's interest.

If we are going to talk about where the oil money has gone and how it is distributed then we need statistical and economic reports as well as budgetary records.  These are professional fields and the people who for many years generated these reports are not the Hausas. . . it was the Southerners.  The Northerner may be a ruling elite but the Southerner is equally a technocrat elite.  To say that for all of these years the Southerner has not evolved ways in which to outsmart the Northerner in a field where the Southerner holds the comparative advantage is beyond belief.  

If I were at all involved in the mediation of this problem I would encourage both sides to first of all form regional think tanks led by professionals and academics.  I will keep politicians out of the mediation meetings and only meet with the egg heads.  The politicians channell their voice and opinion through the think tanks.    

You think they will? Better learn to fight for yourself.
If you give a man a wife, you do not also give him lessons on what to do with the wife.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by GeorgeD1(m): 11:38am On Jul 13, 2009
mend hitting lagos is small news. i will be more interested the day they hit abuja
especially the fake chambers where those thieving politricians meet to share money.
they should have a taste of what we here have been passing through for 4 yrs now.
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by Beaf: 11:38am On Jul 13, 2009
diehard1:

since it has gotten to this level,  we need to pray to God. Naija no get security so they can strike wherever they wish oh. Imagine someone driving a truck filled with dynamite to the front of a high rise or bridge or wherever. Booooom, the police etc is handicapped to fight crime not  to talk of guerilla warfare. How do u check what people r carrying, who has what etc. The federal government has to com out fast with a lasting and sensible solution for the whole country will move forward.

So you think MEND is interested in Bridges and High rises.  . . Fail!
Or police can fight MEND where JTF are failing. . . Fail!
You think God is not behind MEND. . . Fail!
Re: MEND Attacks Lagos by joshO: 11:39am On Jul 13, 2009
I've never had much support for most of the criminal elements parading the Delta as freedom fighters , but ,

Mend will get a lot more credibility and much broader followership  if they widen the struggle to include issues with
corrupt leadership and this overbearing domination of all of us by the North.

If they take on our entire political system, it may be the long overdue trigger needed for a revolution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Reuben Abati's New Year Message Is One In A Million / My People Need Basic Amenities And Not Flyovers - Aminu Tambuwal / Governor Umar Ganduje Spotted Watching The Match Between Rangers Vs Kano Pillars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.