Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,782 members, 7,851,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:25 AM

2bosun's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 2bosun's Profile / 2bosun's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (of 9 pages)

Politics / Re: Govt Cuts Overhead Expenditure By 30 Per Cent by 2bosun: 7:12pm On Jul 11, 2011
Donlittle:

THE Federal Government may have reduced overhead expenditure in the Executive and Legislative arms by 30 per cent in the face of rising personnel cost, which increased from N850 billion to N1.3 trillion between 2009 and 2010.

The government has also removed 43,000 “ghost workers” from its payroll in the last one year, as part of efforts to scale down the burgeoning recurrent expenditure, currently assailing the nation’s economy.

Former Finance Minister, Olusegun Aganga, who made these disclosures in Lagos on Saturday, said over N12 billion was saved from the personnel audit, which exposed the ghost workers.

Aganga, who spoke shortly after receiving the Young Men’s Christian Association’s award for exemplary public office life, said the trimming down of the payroll was achieved through the implementation of the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS), set up by the government for its Ministries, Department and Agencies (MDAs).

“As part of the Federal Government’s efforts to reduce the level of recurrent expenditure, in particular, personnel cost, which represents more than 50 per cent of recurrent expenditure, we have deepened the implementation of the IPPIS programme in the last one year and have identified 43,000 names, which should not have been on the payroll. This will lead to considerable savings,” he said.

The exercise, according to him, covered 112,000 workers under the first phase of the IPPIS in the three-phased programme.

Aganga, who has already been returned to President Goodluck Jonathan’s new cabinet, said the implementation of the IPPIS in the 36 MDAs had been divided into three phases and that the first phase, covering seven MDAs, saved the country over N12 billion.

The savings represent the difference between releases to the MDAs based on their nominal roll submissions before enrolment into the IPPIS and the actual salaries paid through IPPIS after the exercise.

According to the minister, who may now head the newly-created Trade and Investment Ministry, the second and third phases will cover 11 and 18 MDAs respectively.

He said: “We had to take action to reduce the overhead cost, that was why we introduced the IPPIS, where you take workers’ bio-data, through biometric process, and have their salaries paid directly through bank accounts. We’ve done that in 36 MDAs, but the exercise is ongoing. When it is completed, we expect to see considerable savings.”

He added that in the 2011 budget, the government has also reduced the level of overhead for both the Executive and the Legislature by 30 per cent and the level of borrowing from about N1.3 trillion to N850 billion.

Aganga, however, said that the nation would need to deepen the fiscal consolidation, with the 2011 budget signalling the beginning of the fiscal consolidation process.

“The introduction of the performance-based budgeting, where every penny spent has to be accounted for, is also to reduce government expenditure, while the multi-year budgeting system will reduce the incidence of uncompleted projects.”

According to him, it has now become imperative to effectively monitor projects, ensure their completion, under the government’s agenda that now guarantees continuity for assessed worthwhile policy implementation.

To leverage on the current achievements, Aganga said the government would vigorously pursue a national re-orientation programme, to restore lost values and tackle corruption.

“Once in Nigeria, we had a society where genuine service to others was routine, where people’s lives were constructed around the simple notion that ‘you shall do nothing to bring the family name to shame’, where you paid for goods left by the roadside even if the seller was nowhere in sight, where you kept an eye on your neighbour’s child as if he were yours. And if you strayed, you accepted penalty for your transgression. That was the natural order then, a good one that gave all and sundry peace of mind.

“But we lost these values over the years. The realisation of this fact motivated me to establish the Nigeria Leadership Initiative in 2006. The vision was to bring together some of the most accomplished Nigerians in Nigeria and the Diaspora to play a role in transforming this great country. NLI provides the platform for leaders to sharpen or develop their values-based leadership skills to be able to play a role in the needed transformation,” he added.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54074:-govt-cuts-overhead-expenditure-by-30-per-cent&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Well done Mr. Aganga, unfortunately that is only one part of the problem. Budget implementation was around 80% when you came in, it has spiralled down 50% under your watch. Domestic and foreign debt is shooting through the roof, with no difference in the lives of the people- all under your watch.

Conclusion: You were inept as the finance minister, you had your chance to make a difference and you blew it! Good luck to you as the new Minister of Trades and Investments- you'll definitely need it.
Business / Re: Finance: Aganga Makes Way For Okonjo-Iweala by 2bosun: 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2011
Aganga= very talented fellow just a square peg in a round hole. I hope he does a better job this time.
Politics / Re: 2011 Budget Not Good For Development – Okonjo-Iweala by 2bosun: 11:37pm On Jul 07, 2011
seanet02:

You are a cretin! What type of development did Nigeria witnessed under your clueless iweala when she was the minister for finance. You ibos always amazes me with your cluelessness

Unfortunately, if you put all sentiments aside you see that Aganga is somewhat responsible for the state of the economy. Important facts you need to look at include the fact that in 2005, Nigeria parted with our "hard-earned" 12 billion dollars to exit the Paris Club of debtors. Fast-forward to the  end 1st quarter 2011- we are back to 6 billion dollars of foreign debt.

Secondly, the $500 million euro-bonds put out sometime ago by Aganga is currently at a record low because of problems in the euro zone that show no signs of slowing down- so that has not been very successful so far.

The only minor positive so far is the foreign reserve at $33 billion, which was about $30 billion when OBJ left office- so not much growth there too. Lets not even talk about domestic debt (N4.5 trillion). This man is a classic investment banker, they are over-optimistic with their projections , take too much risks, and almost always cook up figures to please. So much debt means high recurrent expenditure, low capital expenditure to ever get to the common man in form of schools, hospitals, roads etc.

I am surprised he's getting screened again- hopefully he'll do a better job with his next portfolio. I ain't an economist but I know this guy does not know much about the complex nature of the Nigerian economy.
Business / Re: Ngozi: Islamic Banking Is Ok by 2bosun: 12:03pm On Jul 07, 2011
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Islamic banking, like she mentioned it is practised all over the world. We have to respect other people's religion; even though the Islamic banking principle is a based on a very fundamental one. Most fundamental Muslims also tend to be very radical in their mindset.

Having said that, I think the timing could have been better- in the midst of the ongoing religious crisis, it should have been put on the back-burner at least until the crisis subsides. It has the tendency to further overheat the polity.
Politics / Re: Okonjo-Iweala appears before SSS, police for security clearance by 2bosun: 8:34am On Jul 05, 2011
Segun Aganga needs to go, he's generally clueless. I'll take an economist over an investment banker for that position any day!
Foreign Affairs / Re: Dominique Strauss-kahn Case Reportedly Near Collapse by 2bosun: 5:22pm On Jul 01, 2011
The case will collapse very soon. The man seems innocent, the victim's credibility has been torn apart by the prosecutors. He's free without bail now, the next step is the complete dismissal of the case. I think it was a setup!

P:S: The victim's lawyer is not helping matters as well.
Business / Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by 2bosun: 11:37am On Jun 28, 2011
Imeobong:

which environment is he creating for foreign investors to come in? if you are a foreign investor will you come in? even the IG is not safe is this country, if not for God the IG will have been killed by Boko Haram last week, the guy is clueless as at this moment, instead of making things difficult for the corrupt politicians and d Boko Haram guys, he's targeting the ordinary Nigerians, is it fair?   , A=beg do not be deceive by this man, I repeat as at now, gej is clueless, lets just hope that God will listen to our cries and help us.

Take example the electricity situation, gej have talk about improving electricity supply for more than 365 days now, and we have not seen any improvement, at least we should be having light now uninterrupted for 72 hrs to talk of any improvement after more than 1 year, but the reverse is the case. All I know is that this his economic bullshit is another wild geese chase

We are saying the same thing. The importation ban is not what is needed right now. He needs to focus on things you said like security, power etc. If he tackles the power situation alone in his 4 year term, I think most Nigerians will be satisfied. Foreign investors will come if the structure is there- let's not even talk about security yet.  Sao Paulo, Brazil is one of the world's most dangerous city yet all multinational companies are flocking to Brazil now because of how easy it is do business and most importantly how much profit they can realise from doing business there.
Politics / Re: Lagos Cabinet: Fashola’s List Tears Acn Apart by 2bosun: 11:18am On Jun 28, 2011
hannie:

Anyone still clamouring for Banire to remain a commisioner after 12 years in Alausa needs have himself checked!!!

Being a commissioner is not the only way you can serve in a State Cabinet is it? You need to read, think, and then write- not the other way around!!!
Business / Re: Expect Hard Economic Decisions - Jonathan. Why? by 2bosun: 11:08am On Jun 28, 2011
warrior01:

President Goodluck Jonathan has said the Federal Government would take hard decisions in its bid to move the economy forward.

He, however, assured that government would protect local manufacturers from dumping and would also support them with incentives like waivers.

Speaking at the official commissioning of the May and Baker Pharma Cenre in Sango-Ota, Ogun State, the President said: “Government will take hard decision that will create some inconveniences, but bear with us.

“The private sector will play a key role. We will take hard decision that will appear painful to the ordinary people, but in the long run, it will be for the good of all.

“We cannot  talk of achieving Vision 20: 20-20 if we continue to import most of our industrial needs. We will create an enabling environment by tackling, the power challenges.

“Nigeria will no longer be a dumping ground for all sort of products. That’s why we take time in selecting our economic theme for building a strong economy.”

The President said that Nigeria would no longer be a sleeping giant. He cited China and Uganda as examples of countries which, he said, shut their doors on importation.

He said: “Those hard decisions will affect importation of products.” He promised to use the next four years to work in ensuring that irritating investment environments were addressed.

The President commended the efforts of the management of May and Baker, adding that other companies should emulates them.
The chairman of the company, General Theophilus Danjuma, who described May & Baker as the country’s leading pharmaceutical company, told President Jonathan that the company currently has 800 staff on its payroll.

Danjuma also stated that the company was in the process of obtaining the World Health Organisation’s global regulation certificate and assured that it would continue to meet and promote global standard.

Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, in his address, assured local manufacturers in the state that his administration would do everything humanly possible to encourage them.

“We shall assist her to recoup part of the investment with viable and encouraging incentives.  This also applies to other organizations that have invested or planning to invest in the state. We will do everything possible to support your business and investment aspiration.”

“Members of the Organized Private Sector (OPS) would soon be invited to a round table conference to agree on the various ways in which we can give this support.

“We must realize that government alone cannot should the responsibility of wholesome development. We must find ways of encouraging private partnership for the development of our dear state.”

He urged the people of the state especially host communities, to provide the necessary support and co-operation for the expansion of both public and private investments in their communities.

please, can someone tell me what is wrong in trying to encourage local manufacturers, create the right incentives through waivers and tax holidays just for the likes of the OP to have something doing?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he is trying to do in creating proper incentives for local manufacturers like May & Baker, but he has to strike the right balance between tightening import regulations and creating these incentives. Goods would become expensive (which is probably why he said it would be painful) and push up inflation without this sort of balance- because at moment it is cheaper to import some commodities into the country than to manufacture them locally- which shows how much work needs on the economy outside the import rules.

He has to allow the market to dictate prices to an extent and also focus on creating a conducive environment for foreign investors. Completely "shutting the door" on importation alone would be the right move at the wrong time.
Politics / Re: Lagos Cabinet: Fashola’s List Tears Acn Apart by 2bosun: 8:18pm On Jun 27, 2011
Eko Ile:

He's not interested, he got a new gig @ the ACN HQ.

Are you talking about the national legal adviser position? He's had that for some years now- even while he was commissioner in the previous administrations. I think some people with ambition  are "gently" been sidelined by the leadership of The ACN.

The same thing happened to Senator Mamora- that party supremacy B.S is not exactly democratic is it- especially when they're losing their finest politicians?
Politics / Re: Lagos Cabinet: Fashola’s List Tears Acn Apart by 2bosun: 7:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
What happened to Dr. Muiz Banire? He was one of the more efficient commissioners in the previous administrations.
Travel / Re: Is The Uk Worth Staying In Anymore Or Should One Consider Moving Back To Nigeria by 2bosun: 4:02pm On Jun 24, 2011
snowdrops:

Nigeria is the best place to do business. No doubt about that.

There is no doubt about this fact and this is one of the most sensible posts on this thread. Having said that, if you're earning 50K in the UK- I thinks it's too solid a foundation to risk and move to Nigeria without testing the waters. You definitely have to go to Nigeria to see what's on ground, it is indeed a very fertile ground for business I know this because I and couple of friends put our resources together and make a very decent profit on doing business in Nigeria, even though individually, we make just about half your salary in the UK (we're not married with kids though).

But when you calculate the "tax-free" profit we earn in Nigeria and add it to the salary- trust me brother you'll be laughing. With your salary you can start something very small (although you need to be extremely careful about who and what sort of business you engage in), it'll always grow because Nigeria is still an emerging market with loads of opportunity.

I think you need to definitely go for about 2-3 months or so before you consider any move- mixing it up would be the best option in my opinion. Everywhere you go in the developing world, you'll mostly be taxed heavily. Ask the Americans how much of their salary is chopped off for health insurance- which you don't have to deal with here. Think Twice Brother.
Romance / Re: Will You Marry Someone Outside Your Tribe Or Ethnic Group? by 2bosun: 3:32pm On Jun 24, 2011
tpia@:

yoruba men cant be matched when it comes to dating outside their tribe.

same applies to their marriages- they will marry you in a heartbeat though hanging on after the marriage might not be so easy.

Yes that's fair enough and you're probably right but there is nothing wrong with marrying outside your "tribe". If anything, it only means we've progressed beyond all the "I must marry from my village" sentiments as compared to our fellow country men- don't it?

The world is a global village now guys- I would marry someone outside my tribe- Hell, I would even marry someone outside my continent if everything is right!
Politics / Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by 2bosun: 11:55pm On Jun 16, 2011
obowunmi:

Ok and why are Africans waiting for the white man to portray them in a positive light ? Let our youths go out and produce documentaries that will change the image of Africa.

Keep whining my broda.

ezeagu:

Make your own shit and stop bothering people about stuff they actually have to deal with. British media wouldn't be so nice to America if it was as foolish and as useless as Nigeria as to not have a capable way to present itself to the world through propaganda through it's own media. China is thrown twice more shit at by the Western media but they suck it up and create their own shit throwing platform through their own media.

[center][size=14pt]When will Nigerians figure out that no one cares about fixing your image issues?[/size][/center]

People do care about the image of African countries being portrayed by the Western media. While the BBC does not go out of its way to report falsehood- most of the events really happen- it is the overly negative view of Africa that hurt our image abroad. We can argue to some extent that potential investors and tourist (like my boss who rang me for the 3rd time about a show in Lagos on the BBC) would be discouraged about the negative coverage of the continent.

I am yet to see a balanced report about Africa from the BBC. Yes- we know there are massive developmental challenges in Africa and proper structures are not in place for the youth to "produce documentaries that will change the image of Africa". The truth is that western media hate to portray the fact that the so called "third world countries" have middle incomes too which will put them on the same page.

[size=14pt]
You are completely missing the point by saying China just suck it up, spin it around, and throw it back because China has tangible proof in being the country with the 2nd highest GDP in the world- so it obviously does more than just employ a spin doctor!
[/size]
Politics / Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by 2bosun: 9:28pm On Jun 16, 2011
BBC has put Nigeria in the spotlight once again- this time on its show "Breaking into Britain". As expected it's nothing nice and has to do with the negative aspects of the country. Somebody actually obtained a Nigerian passport without any links to the country amongst other fraudulent/desperate practices.

The Western world never highlights Nigeria (or Africa as a whole) in positive light, which is unfortunate because there are positive things happening on the continent. It's  clear that Nigeria (and Africa) still has a long way to go in terms of development- is there really a need to expose our already tattered reputation without highlighting any positives. Where's the objectivity?

I think it'll be made available on YouTube at some point for non-UK users.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9511000/9511700.stm
Politics / Re: Tambuwal Is The New Speaker For The 7th Assembly by 2bosun: 8:33pm On Jun 06, 2011
The SW does not need to be "mainstream"- We've been in "mainstream" politics for the past 12 years and it has brought nothing but backwardness and division to the zone. I think AC knew exactly what they were doing by delivering their votes to the North. A speaker from the SW might pose unnecessary problems to the politics of AC in the SW and Nigeria in the future.

Votes are starting to count in Nigeria from the look of things, and the best way to win votes is by delivering on your mandate- 2015 is definitely a far shot for the SW to get back into "mainstream" politics- all the talk of Fashola as President/VP is premature right now (although anything can happen in politics) I  believe the AC would be looking to erode their ways into other Southern states, which would be the only way the would stand a chance to  wrestle power from the mighty PDP. It is definitely a work in progress for the AC- they are slowly trying to gain national relevance which was underlined by the meeting with GEJ- a very calculating move because they would also be looking to expose his weaknesses and show themselves as a credible alternative if given any chance .

I have always been against the SW speakership- just look at what happened to the last 2 speakers- it's a bloody shame! Let them develop the SW first for the world to see and then if that's not enough to get back into the "mainstream"- then that would be Nigeria's loss.
Politics / Re: Anyim Pius Anyim Appointed SGF by 2bosun: 12:16pm On May 31, 2011
I think it is a fine appoint by G.E.J and would finally enable the South-easterners to showcase their talent. The SGF is a very demanding and sensitive position from the looks of it- it requires lots of experience, which he's obviously got. I think he was probably the "most scandal-free" candidate out of the other options which must have played a role in his appointment. I'm putting my money on him to deliver just as Chieft Ufot-Ekaette did in the Obasanjo era.
Properties / Re: Properties 4 Auction! Auction! Auction! (call Solex - 08033082046) by 2bosun: 3:14pm On May 14, 2011
Please send the prices to my email - oadamson@yahoo.com
Properties / Re: 1 Property For Sale In Alapere,ketu (Lagos) with pictures by 2bosun: 9:37am On Mar 08, 2011
@harakiri:

Is the second property currently occupied or vacant? You could email me-oadamson@yahoo.com
Properties / Re: Half Plot Of Land Inside Ogombo Main Town Going For 1million Asking Price by 2bosun: 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2011
@kaflex,
Where exactly is Ogombo Main Town?
Properties / Re: Properties For Sale In Different Locations by 2bosun: 12:59pm On Feb 11, 2011
I have to say that this is quite impressive and I wish all agents on NL would take a que from you and show us the details of the properties. Good work!

@ #25- where in Ajah is it? and what are the documents on it? Email me-oadamson@yahoo.com.
Properties / Re: Plot's For Sale Off Badore Rd,just After Addo Turnaround For 5.5m asking. by 2bosun: 4:47pm On Jan 24, 2011
Hello James,

Do you have any pictures? Please send them to oadamson@yahoo.com, Thanks
Properties / Re: High Rated Properties For Sale by 2bosun: 11:26am On Jan 17, 2011
@ poster

"15. UNCOMPLETED 4 BEDROOM BUNGALOW BUILT TO LINTEL LEVEL ON A PLOT OF LAND. =N= 5 MILLION"

Where is this located??
Politics / Re: Adeboye Who Prayed For Ibori, Fayose, Tinubu, Ibru, etc, Prays For Jonathan? by 2bosun: 8:29am On Dec 21, 2010
My guy be careful lest you invoke a curse on yourself. Remember even Jesus prayed/healed criminals. You're not in a position to judge anyone my brother.
Properties / Re: A Bungalo 4 Sale At Ilasama by 2bosun: 11:48am On Dec 14, 2010
how much?
Properties / Re: Pictures Of A A Decent 3 Blocks Of 2 Bedroom Flat With A Roomself Contain by 2bosun: 9:14am On Dec 08, 2010
?
Properties / Re: Pictures Of A A Decent 3 Blocks Of 2 Bedroom Flat With A Roomself Contain by 2bosun: 9:07pm On Dec 02, 2010
@ Lisma

Is this currently being occupied, whats the size of the land, fish pond functional?
Properties / Re: Half Plot Of Land At Crown Estate, Lekki by 2bosun: 9:16am On Nov 22, 2010
How much?
Politics / Re: Dora Akunyili: From A Great Scientist/Administrator To A Great Rabble Rouser? by 2bosun: 10:04pm On Nov 18, 2010
No one is bashing or slandering Dora, yea fair enough it seems like a square peg in a round hole situation but at the end of the day she is not performing creditably enough on her current position and thats the plain truth. My (and your) taxes pay her salary so you and I have a right to constructively criticize her if you don't feel she's performing well enough. She was outstanding at NAFDAC! No question about that, I'm in that field so I know how much work has been done to sanitize it. The issue of calling Nigeria "Naija" shouldn't be something she should focus on, writing to companies and all that. I think its a slang the youth use-a cultural thing, I've never heard my parents use it. This is the domain of the tourism and culture minister and not the Minister of Information and Communications. Information and Communication technology is still largely untapped in Nigeria (Internet penetration -still very low)- lots of work to be done in that field, I've never heard Dora say a word about it. The way GEJ handled the Independence bombings- Mrs. Akinyuli is a communication minister, she should be clarifying those gaffes GEJ made and communicating and informing the public what he meant and NOT TELLING US WHAT SLANGS TO USE!! What happened to freedom of speech!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (of 9 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.