Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,263 members, 7,836,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816688 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by toyibanj(m): 2:02am On Nov 24, 2007
@ Pumping
I already have NGC bought at around 16 .Do you think entering for more at today's price is wise? Also concerning C&I leasing ,excellent growth. I was actually waiting till next year to buy some. What do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:02am On Nov 24, 2007
toyibanj:

@ Pumping
I already have NGC bought at around 16 .Do you think entering for more at today's price is wise? Also concerning C&I leasing ,excellent growth. I was actually waiting till next year to buy some. What do you think?

If you are looking long term you can re-join the train now, otherwise I think the party is over. The stock is hovering around what I think is the fair value now. NGC stock is also a volatile stock so I won't be surprised if you can enter at a lower price due to sudden depression in price before end of the year.

For CILeasing, I am hoping next month will provide another opportunity to buy. Anytime I can get at N5 or below, I will enter again. I sold all the units I bought 2 weeks ago today as I could not help locking in the profit. I hope I won't regret it but most likely, whatever the case, I will re-enter in late December. The train may leave earlier than expected in the new year and I just hating chasing stocks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cutebabe: 4:40am On Nov 24, 2007
@Pumping not surewhether tis you who has the spreadsheet or Emachille. I need the spreadsheet to start number crunching. Pls send to dollypno1(at)gmail.com.
Thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:51am On Nov 24, 2007
All First Bank PO/rights buyers: here is some good news.

Why First Bank’s share certificates are delayed

Did it really close in June? tongue Wema was still trading at 8-9 bucks. tongue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RolandE(m): 7:53am On Nov 24, 2007
TO GEES. & PUMPPING777. YOUR ADVICE TO ME NOT TO WASTE
MY MONEY ON UNITED NIGERIA TEXTILES WAS GREAT.
I WILL STAY ABSOLUTE CLEAR.
WE GUYS IN UNITED KINGDON JUST WORK, WORK, WORK.
NOT VERY CURRENT WITH THE FINANCIAL NEWS LIKE U GUYS AT HOME.
PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY RECOMMEND PROFITABLE STOCK FOR ME TO BUY INSTEAD.
LIVESTOCKS, NIG GERMAN OR MORISON (UNDER HEALTHCARE) OR CAPITAL OIL.
GOD BLESS U ALL.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:55am On Nov 24, 2007
Naijadr:

I actually found out about Nig-German from here in Sep, and did research before going in late Oct, it was about 20% of my small portfolio, actually wanted it to be 25%, but took away funds I had allocated for it unfortunately.

They havent given any bonuses since, which is great for me, neither have they come out seeking funds through POs
They are serously undervalued, even though they are listed under chemical paints, their interests in oil and gas is huge, and its their top 2 area alongside pharmaceuticals for largest profits. I love their partnership with the big dogs like pfizer with whom they produce the drug Benylin and other stuff.

I think they limit the amount of shares available too which helps keep the price unaffected even during a bear market. Chief Shonekan holds a large amt.
I like the management, I like Alhaji Idris the Emir of Zaria being the chairman given his connections.
NGC also are invested in UNIC Insurance

This is their report from 2005
http://www.ngcplc.com/financials/NGCPLC_Annual_Report_2005.pdf

While not trying to spoil the party, please be careful about NGC. They tend to make more money in the first half of the year than in the second half. Their oil services business is small but has a big margin. Unfortunately, the Niger Delta crisis is affecting them.

I think they are currently fairly valued and if it gets to 28.00, it will be time to say thank you and bye bye. June last year it was about 4.00. August this year it was about 12.00. It use to have a PE of about 4.00!!!! The market is just coming to terms with the value of the company. The company owns substantial stake in UNIC insurance so should benefit from the insurance boom.

Will be surprised if they don't declare a banus this year. It is long overdue. A 3 for 1 will not be out of place!!!! (well UNIC owned by the same set of people did something similar some years ago).

Pumping, will not say NGC is volatile. Not with the limited liquidity.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Seun(m): 10:03am On Nov 24, 2007
Hmmm.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:06am On Nov 24, 2007
Samstone, I am not a stockbroker. I am a Mechanical Engineer and I practice Engineering. Worked briefly as an external auditor with Price Waterhouse before. So just learning the ropes about the capital market.

Yodiyokun, cooking books is a matter of 'legal' treatment of some balance sheet items. Banks will still have to comply with prudential guidelines. That's why there use to be a lot of 'movements' during the financial end year to cover up lapses during the year.

When Firstbank wrote off N10bn in a single year from the botched IIL deal, some others will juts provide for a part of it saying that the loan is not 'BAD'. So FBN took a hit of N10bn in a single year thus reducing their profit by N10bn for tht year. Others may just provide for 10% or 20%. I won't call that 'cooking' of books. I will say it has to do with different philosophies.

Next is the issue of insider related credits. That's teh one I hate most. That's my main problm with Zenith. When you grant loans to some people at concessionary rate. It gets worse when the loan now goes bad! That was the problem with most o the banks that died in the '90s. Directors living fat on depositors funds.

The CBN now have online access to the Bank's DATABASE. Good step in teh right direction, but once there is collusion, nothing anyone can do! Best systems gets compromised once there is collusion.

First Bank and UBN will always be sitting on cash partly because of the amount in their dormant accounts!!!!! They just feed fat on those accounts.

With competition, any unsound bank will go under easily!!!!! So no shaking!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 10:44am On Nov 24, 2007
wanaj0:

While not trying to spoil the party, please be careful about NGC. They tend to make more money in the first half of the year than in the second half. Their oil services business is small but has a big margin. Unfortunately, the Niger Delta crisis is affecting them.

I think they are currently fairly valued and if it gets to 28.00, it will be time to say thank you and bye bye. June last year it was about 4.00. August this year it was about 12.00. It use to have a PE of about 4.00!!!! The market is just coming to terms with the value of the company. The company owns substantial stake in UNIC insurance so should benefit from the insurance boom.

Will be surprised if they don't declare a banus this year. It is long overdue. A 3 for 1 will not be out of place!!!! (well UNIC owned by the same set of people did something similar some years ago).

Pumping, will not say NGC is volatile. Not with the limited liquidity.

Thanks much for the input, I actually had talked myself into placing an order to sell at least 50% Monday a few hrs ago. A bonus would be rather tempting grin If it does get to N28, I'm selling because my initial exit price was N27 lol
I'll re-evaluate based on what happens monday, and if so issue sale order in the afternoon, def good profit short term thats for sure esp for those who got in at N12, or even folks like me who got in at N16
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ess: 11:10am On Nov 24, 2007
May I be the first to mention this: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY IN ADVANCE! This thread will tomorow be exactly one year,
Im not a contributor but a listener/learner for awhile on this forum. I wish to congratulate and thank all the esteemed members for their untiring efforts to keep it alive and profitable, lol, not gonna start mentioning names because the list will be too looong but to the conservatives, the steady and slow, the predictors (25%), the cautious(field marshals), the pumpers, the insurers, the risk takers (wemanians) the fact finders, the number crunchers, the list goes on even in the summary, smiley. The old gurus that are sitting back and letting the new gurus fill in with valuable information too and lastly not forgetting the moderator (i suppose its the Seun sha) for starting the topic.
God bless us and wish many more happy returns next year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by X2X(m): 1:43pm On Nov 24, 2007
@all

Anyone with details of company outstanding shares, in say spreadsheet format? Kindly email same to me :

afroquest(at)yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:50pm On Nov 24, 2007
Roland E:

TO GEES. & PUMPPING777. YOUR ADVICE TO ME NOT TO WASTE
MY MONEY ON UNITED NIGERIA TEXTILES WAS GREAT.
I WILL STAY ABSOLUTE CLEAR.
WE GUYS IN UNITED KINGDON JUST WORK, WORK, WORK.
NOT VERY CURRENT WITH THE FINANCIAL NEWS LIKE You GUYS AT HOME.
PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY RECOMMEND PROFITABLE STOCK FOR ME TO BUY INSTEAD.
LIVESTOCKS, NIG GERMAN OR MORISON (UNDER HEALTHCARE) OR CAPITAL OIL.
GOD BLESS You ALL.

On ground ke?? Your brother dey here for Philly very far from the ground.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 3:08pm On Nov 24, 2007
wanaj0:

Samstone, I am not a stockbroker. I am a Mechanical Engineer and I practice Engineering. Worked briefly as an external auditor with Price Waterhouse before. So just learning the ropes about the capital market.

Yodiyokun, cooking books is a matter of 'legal' treatment of some balance sheet items. Banks will still have to comply with prudential guidelines. That's why there use to be a lot of 'movements' during the financial end year to cover up lapses during the year.

When Firstbank wrote off N10bn in a single year from the botched IIL deal, some others will juts provide for a part of it saying that the loan is not 'BAD'. So FBN took a hit of N10bn in a single year thus reducing their profit by N10bn for that year. Others may just provide for 10% or 20%. I won't call that 'cooking' of books. I will say it has to do with different philosophies.

Next is the issue of insider related credits. That's the one I hate most. That's my main problm with Zenith. When you grant loans to some people at concessionary rate. It gets worse when the loan now goes bad! That was the problem with most o the banks that died in the '90s. Directors living fat on depositors funds.

The CBN now have online access to the Bank's DATABASE. Good step in the right direction, but once there is collusion, nothing anyone can do! Best systems gets compromised once there is collusion.

First Bank and UBN will always be sitting on cash partly because of the amount in their dormant accounts!!!!! They just feed fat on those accounts.

With competition, any unsound bank will go under easily!!!!! So no shaking!!!!!

SPECIAL APPEAL

I am a long termer and that is where I see I belong. From my readings, WanajO, and indeed the loud and silent gurus, have an invaluable knowledge of any company they is interested in. So Wanajo can you please tell us more about R T Briscoe, May & Baker and Air Services & Logistics. I am currently looking at those companies for investment, trusting that with their stability, one may not need to be checking BP all the time. Seriously what other things do those three companies do apart from the regular stuff such as Toyota products (RTBriscoe), Pharmaceutical accessories(M&B) and Food for passangers on board etc. I find them really attractice, and won't mind their current prices to go into them.

Waiting to read your detailed response, and indeed any response for willing members is highly welcome.
Thanking the house for the education in this mercurial career!
Regards
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 3:22pm On Nov 24, 2007
cutebabe:

@Pumping not surewhether tis you who has the spreadsheet or Emachille. I need the spreadsheet to start number crunching. Please send to dollypno1(at)gmail.com.
Thx

Spreadsheet Which one?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:24pm On Nov 24, 2007
X-2-X:

Anyone with details of company outstanding shares, in say spreadsheet format? Kindly email same to me :

http://www.futureview.com.ng/research.aspx

Look at the bottom of the link and download the "Market Snapshot" file. It's pretty reliable.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cutebabe: 3:30pm On Nov 24, 2007
pumping777:

Spreadsheet Which one?

The one you folks use in number crunching or was it Emachille offering?

Not sure now. It was mentioned like 12 pages back

Emachille if it's you, hook me up pls.

Thx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:35pm On Nov 24, 2007
cutebabe:

Emachille if it's you, hook me up please.
Thx

Me thinks that was Emmaachille offering up some technical trading tips. Turns out he had a couple of manuals and recommended programming them into your own spreadsheet. I'm building it into one. Still a few weeks away.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cutebabe: 4:03pm On Nov 24, 2007
Really easimoni can you hook a sister up when you are done? You got my mail addy shei.

Not trying to take adv o, so if you'd rather then send the manual.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ben0524(m): 4:05pm On Nov 24, 2007
Hello GUGU's,

Please can anyone advice me, I told my broker to buy me 20k units of EQUITY INSURANCE since a week ago but each time i call she keep saying she has not check if the ve bought it for me and and the last time she said its not available but i ve told her to stop the buying because its like she is trying to play a secret or insider game with me.

I stand to be corrected any body that has idea should let me know please.

To all GURU's in the house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ben0524(m): 4:06pm On Nov 24, 2007
Hello GUGU's,

Please can anyone advice me, I told my broker to buy me 20k units of EQUITY INSURANCE since a week ago but each time i call she keep saying she has not check if the ve bought it for me and and the last time she said its not available but i ve told her to stop the buying because its like she is trying to play a secret or insider game with me.

I stand to be corrected any body that has idea should let me know please.

To all GURU's in the house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by helpme1: 5:17pm On Nov 24, 2007
I NEED YOUR HELP MY BIG BROTHERS NSE'S GURU
I GOT AN INVESTMENT WITH IBTC(EQUITY FUND),THAT I STARTED EARLY THIS YEAR
I GOT MORE 1M IN MY PORTFOLIO,I STARTED WITH 900K AND BY NOW I HAVE GOT
MORE THAN 40% ON IT.BUT I WANT TO BE A PART TAKER IN THIS P.O AND I.P.O(BAGCO).
DO YOU ADVICE ME TO WITHDRAW 1M FROM MY PORTFOLIO TO INVEST IN BAGCO AND BANKPHB
BECAUSE I DONT HAVE PEPPER AT THE MOMENT.I NEED YOUR SOLID ADVICE MY BROTHERS BECAUSE
I JUST STARTED.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 5:34pm On Nov 24, 2007
cutebabe:

Emachille if it's you, hook me up please.

Thx

I don't use anyone's spreadsheet for my analysis. I only try to validate certain data like results and outstanding shares from others on this thread. I am still developing my own excel sheet but the analysis is already done where I have current data.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by helpme1: 5:45pm On Nov 24, 2007
I NEED YOUR HELP MY BIG BROTHERS NSE'S GURU
I GOT AN INVESTMENT WITH IBTC(EQUITY FUND),THAT I STARTED EARLY THIS YEAR
I GOT MORE 1M IN MY PORTFOLIO,I STARTED WITH 900K AND BY NOW I HAVE GOT
MORE THAN 40% ON IT.BUT I WANT TO BE A PART TAKER IN THIS P.O AND I.P.O(BAGCO).
DO YOU ADVICE ME TO WITHDRAW 1M FROM MY PORTFOLIO TO INVEST IN BAGCO AND BANKPHB
BECAUSE I DONT HAVE PEPPER AT THE MOMENT.I NEED YOUR SOLID ADVICE MY BROTHERS BECAUSE
I JUST STARTED.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pangolo: 6:24pm On Nov 24, 2007
Futureview has Crusader's outstanding shares @ 1,600,594,000 while Nigerian Securities has it at 3,437,040,803. Which is more accurate generally?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nzemillion: 7:23pm On Nov 24, 2007
Wanajo, Easimoni, Pumping 777, , Temmie 10 and the rest of the gurus in house, pls i need you guys help ooo . How can i collect my First bank po refund money. I´m not residing in Nigeria.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:47pm On Nov 24, 2007
pangolo:

Futureview has Crusader's outstanding shares @ 1,600,594,000 while Nigerian Securities has it at 3,437,040,803. Which is more accurate generally?

I have 3.437B.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 24, 2007
net bid/offer 231107

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 24, 2007
SOLD my Berger last week @ 7.80, crusader @5.59 and Wapic @ 8.60 on friday so that i can convert them into the Banking Industry such as Bank PHB PO, Zenith PO and Costain when it comes out

Livestock feeds have 3 new Investors and this might cause a price rally though i have ordered it for sale since i bought @ 2.62.
My insurance stock now consists of NEM Insurance, Standard Alliance and STACO and i am ready to hold for the long term.
Banking stocks are more reliable so I seem to hold lots of them in my portfolio.
I want to reduce my exposure to the insurance industry.
Bought lots of FCMB and hoping they meet their targets

Have been writing my exams and I have not read this forum for some days now and I am surprised by the no of pages it has covered
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 8:27pm On Nov 24, 2007
@Ben0524

I suspect that your broker can't be bothered about your order. Perhaps she feels the amount involved is too small.

Equity assurance is a relatively small company therefore illiquid. When I bought some months ago it took over a week for them to buy.
This does not explain why your broker should tell you she hasn't checked.

Good that you cancelled it. Should keep her on her toes next time you place an order.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:33pm On Nov 24, 2007
Mr Risky,

Little info on Airline Services so I am not in a position to comment

RT Briscoe use to have GTB via ARM as a coreinvestor. Things have changed with GTB divesting from ARM. RE Briscoe are into vehicles (Ford mainly now), Atlas Copco compressors (not sure if they've divested) and medical equipment. They raised some money about two years ago. Seem to be a good stock to hold for growth.

May and Baker is a pharmaceutical company that is now into Food and drinks. They have a strategic investment in Bio Vaccines a vaccine making company in Nigeria. With that they will control the vaccine market. They are into production of noddles and mineral water. They had a PO last year which was over 200% over subscribed. They missed their profit target for last year due to late receipt of the offer proceed. Also with competition in the water business, they are changing plans as per the utilisation of the offer proceed. There is also a delay in the bringing on stream of the Bio Vaccine plant. However, with NAFDAC support, May and Baker should do well on the long term.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 9:01pm On Nov 24, 2007
@ wanajo,
how far. will be going to afrinvest on monday. my account officer is a mrs. susan.
will keep you posted
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 24, 2007
LIVESTOCK PLANS 110% CAPACITY EXPANSION
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20071116055654

Livestock Feeds plans 110% capacity expansion
By Layi Adeloye
Published: Friday, 16 Nov 2007

Livestock Feeds Plc, an agro-allied company, has unfolded plans to increase its production capacity from the current industry average of 4.5metric tonnes per hour to about 10metric tonnes per hour.

The expansion programme, which is targeted at raising the company’s production by about 110 per cent, will affect its three key operating mills.

The Chairman of the company, Mr. Robert Adebowale Tade, who disclosed these in his address at the 43rd Annual General Meeting in Lagos on Wednesday, said the expansion programme would take the form of refurbishing old Buhler machines and the purchase of additional new smaller manual mills.

The company specialises in animal care products, feeds production and allied businesses.

In addition to the new focus, Tade said the company would reopen its Kaduna mill, which had been mothballed for about five years. This, he said, would be a key strategy in its plan to expand market share and reach

He said, “It will also serve as the strategic hub centre for receiving most of our major key raw materials, which are traditional sourced from the northern part of the country.

The chairman said that the expansion might also include on product portfolio expansion and production restructuring.

According to him, the purpose is to integrate operations with the business needs of the future.

He said, however, that production expansion would be the first, among others on the priority list, of areas of investment by the company in its bid to improve profitability.

He said, “It is, therefore, expected to be the first of the strategic projects, among others, which your company intends to invest in quickly, so that we can improve profitability and enhance our share value.”

The company declared a turnover f N581.7m, marking a marginal increase of N19.3m over the preceding year’s N580.01m Profit after tax, however, declined sharply from N748.2m to N8.3m.

According to the company, the decline was as a result of investments made in expansion programmes.

Tade said although the financial year was challenging, especially in its inability to access funds during the year, the successful outcome of its rights issue signposted a new beginning.

(1) (2) (3) ... (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.