Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,928 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Is Bible The Word of God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Bible The Word of God? (12499 Views)

Is Bible The Word Of God? The Bible And Paedophilia. / Is Bible God/jesus Word? / Killing Children Is Bible Miracle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by Ajisafe: 7:48pm On Dec 22, 2005
OK I dare you

@ RhodaRose, you dared me, I'm coming to show it to you!
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by spicequeen(f): 1:30pm On Dec 24, 2005
Yes the bible is the word of God.
Unlike humans many of these bible writers wrote everything even their own shortcomings.
Many of biblical prophecy came true at exactly the appointed times this gives proof of a Supreme being being in control.
The simple account at 2Timothy 3:16,17 which says all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial... gives edvidence of the bible being the word of God.
Attempts to destroy the bible or to stop the so called common man from reading it have proved futile which only goes to show prove that God protects his word.

Nferyn,
the book of creation that is the beauty around us etc and the simple Genesis account which says at Genesis 1:1 that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth gives a simple explanation that man and the universe did not come by chance. I believe U are a father with kids if so did ur kids come along just by chance? If U make a car or a plane or any other thing u are called a genius but evolutionist claim man and the universe with all its complexities came by cahnce isn't this too farfetched? There sure exist a Creator and the bible is really His word.

Ajisafe,
I dare U too proof that the Bible is not the word of God
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nferyn(m): 3:35pm On Dec 25, 2005
spicequeen:

Nferyn,
the book of creation that is the beauty around us etc and the simple Genesis account which says at Genesis 1:1 that in the beginning God created the heaven and the earth gives a simple explanation that man and the universe did not come by chance. I believe U are a father with kids if so did your kids come along just by chance? If U make a car or a plane or any other thing u are called a genius but evolutionist claim man and the universe with all its complexities came by cahnce isn't this too farfetched? There sure exist a Creator and the bible is really His word.

You have absolutely zero [/i]undertanding about the Theory of Evolution:
1. The Theory of Evolution does not deal with the existence of the universe, only with how life evolved from simpler life forms to the complex ones we see today.
2. Chance is a very minimal component of the Theory of evolution. The only place where chance plays a role is in the fact that the genome of all living organisms is undergoing [i]random
mutations.
3. The processes of natural selection, punctuated equilibria, genetic drift and sexual selection are anything but chance driven processes. Educate yourself before opening your mouth.

4. The complexities of the universe can be explained by the effects of natural processes. No supernatural agency is necessary at all. Even if you postulate a supernatural creator, you still have to explain the complexity and existence of that creator. It adds [b]absolutely nothing [/b]to our understanding of the universe.

You assertions are empty.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by goodguy(m): 3:44pm On Dec 25, 2005
The Bible is the word of God.

If you say it's not, how come the prophecies in it (written thousands of yrs ago) are being fulfilled these days?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nicetohave(m): 9:42pm On Dec 25, 2005
when a man cant find an explanation to a situation, they call it "insufficient findings or inconclusive" whereas they turn a deaf ear to the word of God that is "all conclusive", its a shame.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by exu(m): 10:02pm On Dec 25, 2005
Which prophesies are being fulfilled that you speak of, layi

Didn't Nostradamus also 'prophecy' accurately (though vaguely) the events of the future
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by goodguy(m): 10:07pm On Dec 25, 2005
exu:

Which prophesies are being fulfilled that you speak of, layi

Didn't Nostradamus also 'prophecy' accurately (though vaguely) the events of the future
You were referring to goodguy I guess. Biblical prophecies are being fulfilled my brother.

http://www.harpazo.net/101/List.html
http://www.bible-prophecy.com/
http://www.bible-prophecy.com/fearful.htm
http://www.evenmore.co.uk/prophecy/europa.html
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by exu(m): 12:09am On Dec 26, 2005
my apologies goodguy...

i've read through a few of those but why don't you choose your favourite "fulfilled prophecies" and we can talk about those ones...
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nferyn(m): 12:29am On Dec 26, 2005
nicetohave:

when a man can't find an explanation to a situation, they call it "insufficient findings or inconclusive" whereas they turn a deaf ear to the word of God that is "all conclusive", its a shame.
Define the word of God
What situation are you talking about?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by snazzydawn(f): 9:01am On Dec 26, 2005
THe Bible is the Word of God!!!
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by Ajisafe: 9:21am On Dec 26, 2005
RhodaRose, spicequeen, snazzydawn, goodguy, nicetohave, you've all dared me to prove to you that your bible is not the word of God, right? OK, this is how it starts, and when the chips begin to fall they'll start screaming Ajisafe's name. Be patient, I'm coming to get you all!
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nicetohave(m): 12:03pm On Dec 26, 2005
can a man kick against the thorns?!! cool
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by otokx(m): 12:37pm On Dec 26, 2005
the bible is the word of God.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by goodguy(m): 1:26pm On Dec 26, 2005
exu:

my apologies goodguy...

i've read through a few of those but why don't you choose your favourite "fulfilled prophecies" and we can talk about those ones...
Let's talk about the first one. cool ===> http://www.harpazo.net/101/List.html
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by RhodaRose(f): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2005
Ajisafe,

You will be unable to prove to those who believe the Bible is the Word of God that it is otherwise.

Yes, there are "stones for stumbling" in the Bible that those who read in the flesh will think to be untruth but in the Spirit and with the Teaching of the Holy Spirit the Bible is very clear and all Truth.

Ps 91:9-16
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

De 13:3-4
Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by exu(m): 10:30pm On Dec 26, 2005
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

To be honest with you goodguy the way this is written sounds as if Peter was talking about something that was going on at the time...

Either way, it really isn't much of a prediction, he's effectively saying that people will argue amongst themselves...I could quite easily do that and I would never claim to be the man of any supreme being...

Do you believe that this is a particularly masterful prophecy?

Why did you choose this 'prophecy'?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by goodguy(m): 10:41pm On Dec 26, 2005
Were there really false prophets in those days (of Peter)?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by exu(m): 11:13pm On Dec 26, 2005
Who's to say that they were false?

Back to the initial point though; to say that people will attempt to corrupt an idea doesn't really sound like much of a prediction to me...

Do you have a more specific example of a Biblical prophecy that is happening today
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nicetohave(m): 6:08am On Dec 27, 2005
Good question but before i go on exu, have you read the bible at all before?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by exu(m): 1:30pm On Dec 27, 2005
Yes, I have...every last word...and I cannot, to this day, understand what it is that makes this one book so much more relevant than all the others...

Why the question?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by RhodaRose(f): 3:04pm On Dec 27, 2005
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

You may want to notice that Peter says there were false prophets as there will be false teachers...

Peter is letting you know that "prophets" are past and "teachers" are now.  But the only True Teacher is the Comforter, His Holy Spirit.

Joh 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Ac 15:7
And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

"Who" is "teaching" you
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by ijebuman(m): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2005
goodguy:

Let's talk about the first one. cool ===> http://www.harpazo.net/101/List.html

I've been to this site and to be honest only someone with a similar mindset will believe the stuff on the site
for example
Mankind would be capable of destroying all life (Matthew 24:21-22). Consider that when Jesus made this prediction the armaments of His day were swords and spears. But today, with nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons, it is possible to wipe out all flesh on planet earth.
Matthew 24:21-22
For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 
And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. 

You can twist this to mean anything, could even be an asteroid from space (my favourite theory on how the world will end)

The use of nuclear weapons anticipated (Zechariah 14:12).
The neutron bomb melts (dissolves) its victims - just as Zechariah predicted 2500 years ago.

Zechariah 14:12
And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

So if its God sending a plague, why will he need a man made invention - a Neutron bomb to do this
Thats the problem i have with sites like this, it's all about twisting things in the bible to prove a scenario, anyone can do this.

for example this site http://armageddononline.tripod.com/bible.htm claims the Battle of Armageddon, the Antichrist and the return of Jesus will occur in 2007 and uses elaborate quotes from the bible
The Scenario
The war will start in 2007. The antichrist will stand in the Jewish Temple of Jerusalem and declare that he is God. The Bible calls this the 'abomination of desolation'. Shortly after this the Arab nations will unite against Israel. Egypt will lead Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Jordan - every nation with a border with Israel - against it. Russia and its allies will join on the side of the Arabs. During the fight the US and Russia will use nuclear weapons against each other. The war will leave 2 billion dead.

'When her branch Is yet tender' means that Israel will still be a new state (it was founded in May 1948).
'Putteth forth leaves' could mean when Israel recaptured all of Jerusalem in June 1967.
'Summer is nigh' means that the end of the world is near.

So soon after Israel takes Jerusalem the end of the world will occur. It says 'this generation shall not pass till all these tings be fulfilled'.
A generation in the Bible is 40 years, so the end of the world will be 40 years after 1967: 2007.

http://armageddononline.tripod.com/bible.htm

so goodguy if this guy is spot on you may not have long to wait to say 'i told you so' grin  grin

The end of the world - A brief history (From The Economist)
Why do end-of-time beliefs endure?

Christians have kept faith with the idea that the world is just about to end since the beginnings of their religion. Jesus Himself hinted more than once that His second coming would happen during the lifetime of His followers. In its original form, the Lord's Prayer, taught by Jesus to his disciples, may have implored God to “keep us from the ordeal”.

Men have been making the same appeal ever since. In 156AD, a fellow called Montanus, pronouncing himself to be the incarnation of the Holy Spirit, declared that the New Jerusalem was about to come crashing down from the heavens and land in Phrygia—which, conveniently, was where he lived. Before long, Asia Minor, Rome, Africa and Gaul were jammed with wandering ecstatics, bitterly repenting their sins and fasting and whipping themselves in hungry anticipation of the world's end. A bit more than a thousand years later, the authorities in Germany were stamping out an outbreak of apocalyptic mayhem among a self-abusing sect called the secret flagellants of Thuringia. The disciples of William Miller, a 19th-century evangelical American, clung ecstatically to the same belief as the Montanists and the Thuringians. A thick strand of Christian history connects them all, and countless other movements.

read the full article: http://www.economist.com/diversions/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3490697&no_na_tran=1
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by goodguy(m): 7:42pm On Dec 27, 2005
@Ijebuman: Honestly, I don't get your point. (Try checking the links below anyway).

exu:

Do you have a more specific example of a Biblical prophecy that is happening today
The events alone of the past fifty years should speak volumes to anyone who knows anything about the Bible. Within the past fifty years, we have seen a  lot of prophecies (God's promises) fulfilled. To name a few...

[list]
[li]The rise of the European Union - the world's last great empire (Daniel 7:7, Revelation 13)[/li]
[li]The creation of a European army (Daniel 11:38-39) [/li]
[li]Rebirth of the nation of Israel after 1900 years, and back in their own land (Jeremiah 23:7-8, and many other places)[/li]
[li]Restoration of Biblical Hebrew, as a living language (Zephaniah 3:9) [/li]
[li]Personal identification chips - now used widely (Revelation 13:16-18) [/li]
[li]Instantaneous worldwide communication (Revelation 11:9-10) [/li]
[li]Explosion in knowledge in the last days - electronic knowledge doubling every six months (Daniel 12:4) [/li]
[li]The development of weapons that can destroy an entire city in just one hour (Revelation 18:19) [/li]
[li]Jerusalem - a source of worldwide contention (Zechariah 12:2-3) [/li]
[li]A peace process in the middle east with many nations involved (Daniel 9:27), with the issue of land at its very heart (Daniel 11:39) [/li]
[li]The Jewish Temple ready for rebuilding, and sacrifices resuming (Daniel 9:27)[/li]
[li]A decline in the moral behaviour of society (2 Timothy 3:1-5)[/li]
[li]Terrible catastrophes and natural devastation increasing (Luke 21:25-26)[/li]
[/li]
[/list]

Nobody can deny all these things have happened, or will soon happen. THEY ARE IN THE NEWS ALMOST EVERY WEEK. But what does that mean for us? The Bible foretold all these things would happen, shortly before the Lord Jesus Christ returns to earth as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Read more here:
http://www.evenmore.co.uk/prophecy/markofthebeast.html
http://www.evenmore.co.uk/prophecy/antichrist.html

@Ijebuman and exu, do you believe in God?
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by ijebuman(m): 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2005
goodguy:

@Ijebuman: Honestly, I don't get your point. (Try checking the links below anyway).
http://www.evenmore.co.uk/prophecy/markofthebeast.html
http://www.evenmore.co.uk/prophecy/antichrist.html

just to update you on the 666 issue
666 wrong number of prophetic beast?
Read the full article: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44169
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nferyn(m): 9:24pm On Dec 27, 2005
Just a few comments on some of your points, goodguy

goodguy:

[list]
[li]The rise of the European Union - the world's last great empire (Daniel 7:7, Revelation 13)[/li]
[/list]
The EU is anything but an empire. What definition of empire do you use to label the EU as an empire?

goodguy:

[list]
[li]The creation of a European army (Daniel 11:38-39) [/li]
[/list]
There is no such thing as a European army; the common military command structure of the EU is far weaker than that of Nato

goodguy:

[list]
[li]Restoration of Biblical Hebrew, as a living language (Zephaniah 3:9) [/li]
[/list]
Modern Hebrew is very different from classical or biblical Hebrew

goodguy:

[list]
[li]The Jewish Temple ready for rebuilding, and sacrifices resuming (Daniel 9:27)[/li]
[/list]
Where did you get that idea? Israel will never rebuild the temple. It goes against their core beliefs.

goodguy:

[list]
[li]A decline in the moral behaviour of society (2 Timothy 3:1-5)[/li]
[/list]
Our current societies are far more moral than any in human history.

goodguy:

[list]
[li]Terrible catastrophes and natural devastation increasing (Luke 21:25-26)
[/li]
[/list]
There is no increase of catastrophies and natural devastation, on the contrary. Moreover, we're far better equiped to deal with these events than anytime in our past history.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nicetohave(m): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2005
There is no increase of catastrophies and natural devastation, on the contrary. Moreover, we're far better equiped to deal with these events than anytime in our past history.

you sound rather convincing, to yourself! are we talking about being equipped to handle these catastropies or the actual increase in them, which is glaring and evident.......what more denial of the world around you to think there is a decline in natural disasters when infact your science experts are helpless as to what will befall planet earth in terms of natural disasters if nothing is done to stop it downslide.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by ijebuman(m): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2005
There are many passages which state or imply that the authors of the Bible were inspired by God. Since errors, mistakes and duplicity are not generally regarded as qualities of God, then inspiration by God would imply inerrancy of the text. Passages are found both in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) and in the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) which support inerrancy, either directly or indirectly.  
http://www.religioustolerance.org/inerran3.htm

Biblical Criticism, in particular higher criticism, deals with why and how the books of the Bible were written; lower criticism deals with the actual teachings of  its authors. The word "criticism" must be one of the all-time least appropriate religious terms. Theologians do not engage in actual criticism - at least as the word is commonly understood. They analyze the Bible in order to understand it better.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_hcri.htm
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nicetohave(m): 9:39pm On Dec 27, 2005

oh please nferyn, are serious or joking or just plainly living in a world of delusion? at what other times in history is moral decadence so vast and crying for attention in the history of human existence? gay marriage, gay babies, corruption and lawlessness going through the roof, boy, you must be on planet mars and not earth to say that.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nferyn(m): 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2005
nicetohave:

oh please nferyn, are serious or joking or just plainly living in a world of delusion? at what other times in history is moral decadence so vast and crying for attention in the history of human existence? gay marriage, gay babies, corruption and lawlessness going through the roof, boy, you must be on planet mars and not earth to say that.
No, I'm not joking, not at all. Can you please tell me which societies in the past were more moral than ours. Or do you like to forget mass genocide, the crusades, the dark ages, witch hunts, slavery, colonisation, the extermination of the Indians on the American continent, ....
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by exu(m): 9:56pm On Dec 27, 2005
gay marriage, gay babies

Maybe it's just me but it seems as though Christians are taught to blow the whole 'gay' issue out of proportion...

There have always been homosexuals in every society, it's just that nowadays it's not acceptable to presecute them...

I'm sure there are far worse goings on than a few same-sex couples...for example illegal wars started by so-called Christian Presidents...
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by goodguy(m): 10:01pm On Dec 27, 2005
Isn't it so funny how people are trying so hard to disprove the veracity of the Bible and not some other book?

Nferyn, what I posted above is actually not from me. I copied that out from a link.

nferyn:

Just a few comments on some of your points, goodguy
The EU is anything but an empire. What definition of empire do you use to label the EU as an empire?
Empire: A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority.
Actually, I don't think I am in the best position to explain this extensively. I hope you get the answers you inquire from the definition.

nferyn:

There is no such thing as a European army; the common military command structure of the EU is far weaker than that of Nato
I suggest you check out the links I provided and look for the one in which this was mentioned so you'll have a better understanding of what is meant by "European Army".

nferyn:

Modern Hebrew is very different from classical or biblical Hebrew
How do you know? Besides, what is talked about here is the RESTORATION of Biblical Hebrew and not whether one Hebrew is different from the other.

nferyn:

Where did you get that idea? Israel will never rebuild the temple. It goes against their core beliefs.
How do you know what Isreal will do or won't do? Go through the links before putting up further arguments.

nferyn:

This is so funny, I really don't know what to say. I guess nicetohave has responded appropriately to that.

nferyn:

nicetohave has responded equally to this.
Re: Is Bible The Word of God? by nicetohave(m): 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2005
always, yes we are taught to denounce it because no one engaging in such acts will ever see the face of God.....that is what (we) these group of intellectually deficient called christians believe, so why must i say otherwise, and yes there have always been gay whatever but in what age and time has it reached a scandalous height as in ours? all sins and moral decadence have always been but at what time has it received so much society recognition and less of retribution than in our age?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Happy Mothering Sunday To All Catholic Mothers And Mothers Everywhere / Lust Inspired Requests By Pastor Adeboye / RCCG Launches Clean The Waste by RCCG Sanitation Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.