Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself (45367 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi Meets With African Shipowners At Conference In Lagos. Photos / Burkina Faso Prime Minister Died Suddenly During A Press Conference In Turkey / Amaechi Swears-In New Acting Chief Judge For Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 6:36pm On Oct 12, 2009
gowaga68:

U make me Laugh wink wink grin grin Do u think Crude Oil just dey come out without working for it, befor the Buildin the Refinary u mean say na dat same crude oil govrnment be relay on?
And dont forget in those Areas you called they dont produce Agricultural products and i dont think those places are Igbo land or State.
n dont still forget Agriculture is the back bone and support the North is helpin d economy.
prove me wroung my friend.
How much work do you think goverment does to produce crude oil?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by gowaga68: 10:01pm On Oct 12, 2009
naijaking1:

How much work do you think goverment does to produce crude oil?
At least man most wak befor. cheesy cheesy
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Beaf: 10:07pm On Oct 12, 2009
gowaga68:

U make me Laugh wink wink grin grin Do u think Crude Oil just dey come out without working for it, befor the Buildin the Refinary u mean say na dat same crude oil govrnment be relay on?
And dont forget in those Areas you called they dont produce Agricultural products and i dont think those places are Igbo land or State.
n dont still forget Agriculture is the back bone and support the North is helpin d economy.
prove me wroung my friend.

Those places ain't Igbo land, but you mentioned them? It was you who foolishly said that Bayelsa produces nothing, but a "lil quantity" of Palm Oil. . . Joke of the year, Barkin Zuwo (RIP) never topped that.

What was the govt relying on, funny guy?

My friend, you better go check govt figures before you talk about subsistence farmers propping up the economy. Why didn't you choose hunters as people "helping the economy"?

One more thing, Sokoto is the richest Northern state (by a long shot), but get it; they only produce 30 odd percent of their annual budget. The rest comes from the FG. Yes, the FG is a conduit pipe for the movement of money generated in the South to the North.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Goldmind1(m): 10:43pm On Oct 12, 2009
Kudos Eziachi, you did a good job enligthening Nigerians.

Nigeria, a nation built on falsehood!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naso2(m): 10:49pm On Oct 12, 2009
The ABURI accord failed because of differences in interpretation of the coverage of the accord. Certain decrees were abrogated in line with the accord.  Hence I think it is wrong to say the accord was totally discarded.

The war did not broke out the next day after the accord, hence like I asked earlier , can anyone here give a clear sequence of events after the accord that culminated in a full scale war? pleaseeeeeeee
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 10:53pm On Oct 12, 2009
Gold-mind:

Nigeria, a nation built on falsehood!

That's really what bothers many people.
A nation built on falsehood is like building a big house on quick-sand.
In the US, the founding fathers' ideal were equality, freedom, etc; in France, I believe theirs was fraternity, egaliterism, etc.
What's our own in Nigeria?
Sabotage, lies, cheating, tribalism, and murder cool  And you have high hopes for us
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Eziachi: 11:39pm On Oct 12, 2009
lagman:

Why must everything to you have a tribalism undertone? I had been a guest on this forum for some time and just now decided to be a member.  

You and your cohorts seem to have a penchant for calling Yorubas and other tribes all kinds of derogatory names. It seems to me that you are not well acquainted with the history and the people of Youruba land.
Before you make your supposition about any group, shouldn't make an effort to research their history before blabbing? I will not bore you about the rich culture of the Yoruba people before that predates the modern day Nigeria.
Since the formation of Nigeria, do you realize that the Yoruba people have contributed the most to Nigeria and by far the pacesetters in almost all sectors of Nigeria?
Here are some facts for you.
The first people to form resistance against Oyinbo colonization --Herbert Macaulay, founder of the first political party in the history of Nigeria in 1923, Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP)
First civil engineer in Nigeria -- Herbert Macaulay
The first Nigerian Medical Doctor --Nathaniel King. 1874 (Before Nigeria became a full colony)
First West African woman medical doctor ---Dr. Elizabeth Abimbola Awoliyi
First Nigerian head of the Judiciary, and the first chief Justice of the Federation --Sir Adetokunbo Ademola
First Nigerian Chartered Accountant -- Akintola Williams.
First Female to drive a car --- Mrs. Ransome Kuti (Fela's Mum) The lioness of Lisabi.
First woman to lead a resistance --Mrs. Ransome Kuti. The protest of Richards Constitution of 1946
First Nigerian lawyer appointed to the Supreme Court of Nigeria and first SAN  --Rotimi Williams
First western trained psychiatrist in Nigeria and Africa --Dr Adeoye Lambo, former Deputy Director of World Health Organization,
First female professor of Physics --Deborah Enilo Ajakaiye
First engineer in Applied Mechanics and youngest professor at 37 ---Dr Awojobi.
First Nigerian to bring Christian mission (CMS) to the East of Nigeria ---Samuel Ajayi Crowther, and BTW he produced a primer for the Igbo language in 1857.

These people are but a few of Yorubas contribution to Nigeria. Need I say more? Do I need to continue to enlighten you more of the many "firsts" of Awo? First TV, first Radio, first high-rise, first universal education, first free health care, first this, first that.
Do I need to talk about Wole Soyinka, the first Nigerian Nobel winner? Or Gani Fawehinmi that devoted his entire life to humanity, who also published more law reviews than all of Nigeria combined? Do I need to continue? Sade Adu, the renowned multi-Grammy award winner, or do I need to mention Mike Adenuga, the first person in the world to solely fund a billion $$$ marine fiber-optic project extending from England to Nigeria?

Why do you deride us when it is obvious that we have contributed to the development of Nigeria as much as any other tribe? Just so you can hype yourself?  
You call handicap people Almajiris.  Rather than pity them for their condition, you mock them for their inadequacies. Na wa o!  Se o ni oju ani ni?

Back to the Economy

Which tribe did you think manned our ministries and organized our civil service prior to the departure of the British?
Who did you think started the nationalism movement to liberate us from colonization and set us on economic independence path?
Which tribe contributed the most to our GDP pre-independence?
Which tribe contributed the most to our GNP pre-independence?
Which tribe had the most manufacturing industries pre-independence? Have you heard of Apapa Industrial Estate that spans from the present day Apapa to Costain, or Ikeja Industrial Estate or Ilupeju Industrial Estate?
Post-independence, which state contributes the most to our GDP?
Post-independence, which state contributes the most to our GNP excluding oil and gas?
Post-independence, which tribe continues to fight the FG the most against injustice? Gani, Fela, Beko, Wole Soyinka, do they mean anything to you?

You come here and insult their tribe despite the fact that any of the mentioned heroes would gladly fight for you if need be.
You are so affront! You are such an impudent person.

Who is the parasite here? Which tribe took you in, fed you, initially housed you for free, and patronized your trading businesses after the war?
Do you think Alaba and Oshodi markets were built by Biafrans?
Obviously, you are deluded and paranoid thinking that Bia-lost are superior in any shape or form.
Maybe you should attend Ozodi Thomas Osuji's Mental Health seminar, m-a-y-be then you'll grasp a better understanding of yourself. As it is, you are deluded thinking that one ethnic group is superior to the other as you have surmised many times.
Everyday Nigerians of all tribes go out in pursuit of their daily bread contributing to the economy of the nation despite being shafted left, right and center by their leaders.
You! You sit behind a keyboard in Oyinbo land and type gibberish. You are nothing but a Keyboard soldier!

Tell me Biafra's contribution to the nation other than the fact that your silly Bia-nonsense plunged a young nation into an unnecessary war and sets precedence for future coups?  Your Bia-war-mongers are just greedy war-lords that forcibly annexed ND for the sole purpose of exploiting them for resources' sake despite ND's unequivocal objection to war of any kind.
I'll ask you again, who is the parasite? Who has been going around settling in other people's region and deriving his source of income in those regions?
Let me help you define what constitutes a parasite. A parasite is defined as an organism that lives on or in another organism. This relationship consists of a host and an invader. So, who is the host and who is the invader? Are you now clear what a parasite is?  
Rather than be grateful to your gracious hosts, you hurl insults at them. You Bia-whatever is an ingrate!
You pride yourself on been a Christian, do you have an ounce of righteousness in you? I don't think so.

Everyday, you and your cohorts scour the Internet looking for ethnic baiting news.
I tell you, thousands of Bia-rogue bashing documents exist on the Net. Why post them? We all know who does the shadiest biz around the world soiling our already battered image the more.
Many posters have challenged you secessionists to stop coming to Nairand and stop
propagating your stupid, hateful, ethnic-baiting posts.
If I were you, I would take a cue and move on to Bia-la-la land forum. But then, you are who you are, a word is never enough for a --- (fill in the blank.) Eh! You are shameless; you’ll come back to Nairaland to spew more hate threads.

Why don't you guys start practicing your secessionists act in Bia-land? Till then, do not disturb us again with your stupid rants. Take with you, Aloy other ethnic baiters. Y’all are poison to this site!
I am done on this subject, you can continue with your monologue.

Welcome to the forum:

How can you say that we don’t know Yoruba’s history? Who gave you such an idea? We knew that you have powerful kingdoms no other kingdom had defeated. You also have powerful rulers and even probably the first to shit among all men. But my friend that is 5000 years ago? Even before JESUS was born?

We also know that you're first in everything as you have claimed, no one is arguing with you as that will be a waste of time.  But what most people are asking is what are you today? And not what your past 20 former generation of ancestors ago were. Living off the past.

Mind you when the Egyptian Pharaohs were building the best stuff in the world and living in grand places made of gold, the Europeans were living in caves. So where are the 2009 Egyptians of today? You are more or less like them, living off on the back of their former glory, they re even digging up the skeletons of their buried ancestors to loot their grave.

What do you think ORAMIYAN would have make of YORUBAs today that went to Aburi and kept silent about the killing of their governor Fajuyi by those sitting right opposite them?
What do you think he would have said that the sons/daughters of a warrior like him will do anything, say anything to keep one Nigeria because they are afraid to be on their own ? Depending on keeping hold the sons of Igbos by all tactics in Nigeria as a buffer of keeping Nigeria. As when Oramiyan were conquering probably Igbos were living in the tree trunks.

The huge gap between your past history and your present is what no one can understand. Why do you always sit on the fence? Why do you play the ostrich game of see no evil and hear no evil. Where was you when the capital taken away from the IBIOBIOS (Calabar) and given to you in Lagos was snatched away and sited in Abuja without asking?

Surulere use to be the shrine of Nigeria football and sports but not anymore. It’s now in a land that can’t even boast of any team and you kept mute.  We knew where everybody stands.
WHERE DO YOU STAND?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Eziachi: 12:18am On Oct 13, 2009
duabba:

My opinion: Igbos just sit and believe they are hated. But they have vehemently refused to remove the toothpicks in their eyes to clearly see the true picture.

My wish is they be allowed to have their own nation, while we sit and watch them fight and kill themselves over the little resources available to them.

Tell me, I pray, why haven't the igbos been able to sustain a formidable political front in Nigeria? They rather scuttle their brothers ambitions and side with others (Nzeribe's Another Better Nigeria readily comes to mind) politics for little crumbs of bread. Whatever an igbo man does it is 80% for selfish reason. Whatever Ojukwu did was to save his own skin, even he knows it in his heart of hearts. It is sickening to hear igbos shouting that other tribes hate them especially when the see themselves as the best thing to happen to Nigeria. They once claimed to be from the lost tribes of Israel (hopefully, they are). What wouldn't they rant about. We have over 300 ethnicities in Nigeria, yet they make the loudest noise.

We are all in the entity called Nigeria together. The earlier we join hands to make it work, the better!

PS: For those ethnic bashers, I hail from Edo State. Feel free to do your thingy!!

I am glad that, that is your opinion and so it shall remain. One minute your are praying that you wanted Igbos out of Nigeria and the next minute your conclusion is everybody shoud be there to make it work.

Which one you dey?
If Igbos are noise makers, the problems of Nigeria and the reason your children still read with kerosene lamp, please write your senator and house Rep/assembly members tomorrow and request them to table a private member bill in your behalf in their houses, that you want Igbos given a referenda option to vote and decide their future with immediate effect. That is the least you can do my brother and the best way to do it.
You can’t beat a child and also denying him any opportunity to cry please. Because one man’s cry for help is absolutely another man’s noise making.

Then when Igbos in their separate home, start fighting each other, hunger killing them, please kindly don’t help, as you will be busy yourself trying to stop the fights in your own back yard in Edo between Anenis vs. the Igbinedions, Oba of vs. Esama of Benin , Osunmbo vs. Oshiomole, Ogbomudia vs. Aneni etc.
You see, we all have our internal problems and share of bad eggs, but some folks like you sseems to enjoys highlighting that of others more than theirs.

Hence why your Igbo noise makers are asking everybody to take home their own internal problems/bad eggs, but people like you who thinks only Igbos are the divided but at the same time you yourselves hates to go home alone to enjoy your supposed peaceful paradise, where everybody love everybody .
Though you were calling for bashing, but this just the truth
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Dede1(m): 1:05am On Oct 13, 2009
@Lagman
@ndu_chuks
@gowaga68
@duabbba
@okunoba
@dayokanu

I had to applaud the above listed trolls for displaying maximum idiocy and scintillating ignorance of the facts through their posts.

For example, one of these suckers posted torrents of Yoruba extractions as the first Nigerians to emerge from certain human endeavors. What a joke?  The punk listed Fatai Rotimi Williams as the first stupid and inconsequential SAN. Please be informed that when Rotimi Williams was a political thug with the Action Group, legal luminaries such Daddy Onyeama (QC) and G. U. Onyeuke (QC) were litigating cases at highest courts in UK. Rotimi Williams was not even qualified to argue a case before Daddy Onyeama as the presiding judge in the case where Balewa government insisted in confiscating National Bank belonging to WNDC.

Daddy Onyaama was the first African to seat on the International Court, Hague.

The dude wrote the following rubbish, “first woman to lead a resistance --Mrs. Ransome Kuti: The protest of Richards Constitution of 1946”. There is nothing furthest from the truth than this crap. The Aba riot of 1929 was the first woman resistance to colonial rule in Africa and it was not led by Mrs Kuti. 

One of these dimwits wrote that Ojukwu sized power and led millions of innocent people to death. When virtue gives way to idiocy, ignorance takes the place of literacy. Ojukwu was appointed the military governor of eastern region by the legitimately constituted government of federal republic of Nigeria.

Yet two of these moronic imbeciles do not even know the history of crude oil exploration in Nigeria but were foolishly spurred to contribute arrant conjectures to the debate in order to voice their hatred for Ndigbo.

It does not worth my time responding to some of these fools that were fortunate to have access to Internet. But keeping mute would lend credence to their junks hence de facto truth. Nigeria is a colonial political stupidity and must be deconstructed.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by nduchucks: 1:24am On Oct 13, 2009
hehehehehe. people wey no get self confidence and wey oyibo don destroy their self esteem come here dey call other people trolls. if you disagree with particular points wey anybody make, why not bring ya own counter point without resorting to insult?

dis dede, call rotimi williams thug, while him say daddy onyeama and g. u. onyeuke na legal luminaries. rotimi williams, daddy onyeama, and g.u. onyeuke are all legal luminaries wey all nigerians supposed to dey proud of.

we need to celebrate de achievements of these people instead of calling de ones wey come from other tribes thugs, and the ones from our tribe luminaries.

de whole ting simply shows that you are an unrepentant tribalist. dis dede must be a very childish boy, intellectual midget, wey no sabi how to discuss issues without putting his fat ego aside. ya brain must contain akamu. dan iska.

small time e go begin abuse person mamma and papa now, when him no get point again. cheesy
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by ezeagu(m): 2:11am On Oct 13, 2009
The first people to form resistance against Oyinbo colonization --Herbert Macaulay, founder of the first political party in the history of Nigeria in 1923, Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP)

Whatever happened to the Anglo-Benin war and the Anglo-Aro war of the 1800's?

First woman to lead a resistance --Mrs. Ransome Kuti. The protest of Richards Constitution of 1946

What ever happened to the Igbo women's war of the 1920's?

I tell you, thousands of Bia-rogue bashing documents exist on the Net. Why post them? We all know who does the shadiest biz around the world soiling our already battered image the more.

Let's not bring up the New York major 419 that was reported last year.  grin

Do I need to talk about Wole Soyinka, the first Nigerian Nobel winner?

If you ask a US high school student if they know Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe who will they know more?

All misinformation.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by nduchucks: 2:19am On Oct 13, 2009
@ezeagu, na de kind maturity wey i dey talk about be dis. se as you point out factual errors without abusing people. kudos to you! make you try teach dede1, one or two tings about decorum.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 7:32am On Oct 13, 2009
ndu_chucks:

@ezeagu, na de kind maturity wey i dey talk about be dis. se as you point out factual errors without abusing people. kudos to you! make you try teach dede1, one or two tings about decorum.

So, in your opinion people should continue to spread hate filled lies and others should come and point out the errors?

Is there anything wrong in telling the truth?

Must you lie to make your point?

Is truth no longer sacred?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 8:00am On Oct 13, 2009
Afam:

So, in your opinion people should continue to spread hate filled lies and others should come and point out the errors?

I don't know who these people think they are fooling by spreading the lies and diverting the thread. On top of that they always get mad once you point out their lies! Forceful lie demands forceful rebuttal!
Like someone asked this question in an earlier post here: What is wrong with simply going through the minutes as posted and agree or disagree with reasonable points without attacking the participants? Read the damn document first, place its findings side by side with the current demands for resource control and restructuring. What do you get? Same thing! Meanwhile we have already wasted 43 years of valuable years peddling hate and lies! This is 2009, yet people can't face the truth because the truth would vindicate some people, but so what? Well, that is Nigeria! Hate is the only reason why Nigeria can never be one nation.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by citizenY(m): 10:06am On Oct 13, 2009
Quote from ezeachi

Which one you dey?
If Igbos are noise makers, the problems of Nigeria and the reason your children still read with kerosene lamp, please write your senator and house Rep/assembly members tomorrow and request them to table a private member bill in your behalf in their houses, that you want Igbos given a referenda option to vote and decide their future with immediate effect. That is the least you can do my brother and the best way to do it.

QUESTION

I hope you have asked your representative/senator to do the same, just to achieve unity of purpose. If not, what are we talking about? You want it badly, help yourself.
You may wish to consult with your fellow travelers. Do remember to obtain signatures from Alaba, Ladipo,Balogun, the landlords of Abuja, ASPAMDA and so on.You should not shave their heads in their absence.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by nduchucks: 10:09am On Oct 13, 2009
Afam:

to answer ya question, i say absolutely not! e no dey necessary to lie in order to make a point. if person say  some ting wey dey inaccurate, e fit be say ba because de person make mistake or no dey aware of history. mind you, even revisionists dey twist history to suit their own purposes.

de best ting na to use undisputed facts to make points. i speak for myself, if una see any ting wey dey factually inaccurate in de points wey i make, make una point am out. i no dey too proud to accept mistake.

name calling no necessary, our objective should be to disagree as mature people and respect each other, ko kwa?

@onlytruth,  i dey take one eye watch you; even though i don forgive you for de rants and name calling of 2 days ago.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by naijaking1: 10:56am On Oct 13, 2009
Onlytruth:

I don't know who these people think they are fooling by spreading the lies and diverting the thread. On top of that they always get mad once you point out their lies! Forceful lie demands forceful rebuttal!
Like someone asked this question in an earlier post here: What is wrong with simply going through the minutes as posted and agree or disagree with reasonable points without attacking the participants? Read the damn document first, place its findings side by side with the current demands for resource control and restructuring. What do you get? Same thing! Meanwhile we have already wasted 43 years of valuable years peddling hate and lies! This is 2009, yet people can't face the truth because the truth would vindicate some people, but so what? Well, that is Nigeria! Hate is the only reason why Nigeria can never be one nation.

Excellent point. Don't mind ndu_chucks watching you with one eye, he sees as good as Steve Wonder.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 11:15am On Oct 13, 2009
Where was you when the capital taken away from the IBIOBIOS (Calabar) and given to you in Lagos was snatched away and sited in Abuja without asking?

The only reason why the capital was moved  where :

1. The Hausa / Fulani Hegemony had lost 2 illustrious sons, in the person of Tafawa Balewa, and Muritala Mohammed.

2. The Sarduna of Sokoto being the head of the NCNC was suppose to lead the central government but opted out, only to hand pick his then deputy Balewa to proceed to Lagos.

3. I am sure you read what Fani- Kayode said happened in the 1958 Constitutional conference when delegates from the north voted against independence. The Northern delegates where pelted with stones on their train journey from Lagos back to Kaduna, the pelting only stopped when they got to Ilorin.

4. The Northerners nearly lost another illustrious son in Babaginda, during Orkar’s coup, I think with due respect to the Middle Belt tribes of Tiv, Biroms, Igalas and Idomas, it would do a lot of us some good not lumpy these areas with the Hausa / Fulani Hegemony, Middle Belters of Plateau and Benue extraction are not ready to jump into the bandwagon of pride less and tribeless people like Saraki and other Kwarans who think they are Fulanis.

5. Muritala constituted a commission to look for a new capital for the Nation, You and I know Lagos as it was then and even more also now is just too congested, the safety of any VIP cannot be guaranteed in that city where go-slow and hold-ups is a way of life.

6. Abacha another Hausa / Fulani man made Abuja the fortress it is now.

7. In fact I believe that If Shagari was resident in Abuja it would have being difficult for the Buhari / Idiagbon regime to succeed.
The Brigade of Guards the most equipped squad in the Nigerian Army are based in Abuja.

8. Justice Aguda a Yoruba man, headed the commission tasked with the duty of looking for a new centralised Capital for the nation, he found and suggested Abuja, it was bang right in the centre of Nigeria, the distance of Maiduguri to Abuja is almost the same as Lagos to Abuja.
So also is the distance from Sokoto to Abuja is almost the same say from Calabar to Abuja give or take a few kilometres here and there.

9. If the Capital of Nigeria was moved to say Kano,  Kaduna or Sokoto then u can say that it was a slap on the Yorubas that the capital was moved out of their land, Lagos even till today is an impossible city, Fashola or no Fashola, why would any sane nation make it her capital.
At times when I am in Lagos I wonder how come this chaotic city was once the Capital of the whole nation, it never ceases to amaze me, I think the choice of Abuja was a good choice, where else could have been equi- distance from both the North and South, if not somewhere in the middle belt.

10. The Capital was moved from Calabar to Lagos by the Colonialist, they will be best position to answer that question, it has nothing to do with Nigerians. It was a colonial goverment decision.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by RichyBlacK(m): 12:35pm On Oct 13, 2009
Excellent piece by Max Siullon!

It is clear that the main problem with the 1967 Aburi Accord, which the Nigerian side agreed to, was that Ojukwu's level of understanding of constitutional matters was  superior to those of the delegates on the Nigerian side - all seven of them! This mismatch created a scenario whereby the Nigerian delegates signed off on documents they poorly understood and so were forced to renege on.

In today's Nigeria, we still see the same thing. Real understanding of constitutional matters, coherent arguments and logical explanations are never welcomed in political circles. What is embraced is cheap reasoning, idiocy and empty rhetoric with zero depth.

While the Aburi Accord was trashed by the Nigerian government, most Nigerians still suffer from the misfortune of that fateful misstep.

[b]I applaud Ojukwu [/b]for making a clear, logically consistent and constitutionally coherent argument in Aburi, Ghana. Unfortunately, the accord was disregarded because of the greed of a few bad men!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by RichyBlacK(m): 12:36pm On Oct 13, 2009
@Eziachi, thanks for posting this!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by SapeleGuy: 12:41pm On Oct 13, 2009
The military had no business coming to power. They deserve zero credit for aburi, land use act or any of their other misguided policies.  
Please put your ethnic allegiances aside and recognise them for what they were - selfish, unpatriotic, egotistical, greedy rogues who have spoiled the country.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 12:45pm On Oct 13, 2009
I think a lot of non Igbos that have contributed on this thread are turning logic on its head simply because accepting the fact and truth would negate all they have either been taught or have believed all these while about the Igbos.

A lot of them in my opinion are simply embarrassed that such foresight and intelligence could come from Ojukwu, someone they have conveniently called names out of either envy, jealousy, hatred or ignorance.

Facts are facts and they don't change.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 1:09pm On Oct 13, 2009
A lot of them in my opinion are simply embarrassed that such foresight and intelligence could come from Ojukwu, someone they have conveniently called names out of either envy, jealousy, hatred or ignorance.

You sure need to re – familiarise yourself with the Godfather movies again, Ojukwu fell like a park of cards at Major Katstina’s bait. Just like Tony the Godfather’s 1st son all gung-ho, without thinking it through he was cut down when he was set up by his brother-in law.

Ojukwu should have reasoned like Michael the Godfather’s second son, he knew had to take down his father’s enemies but went about it in a well planned and concise manner, one would expect with the intellect Ojukwu posses he could have eradicated every single person on that table within 18 months of smiling, shaking and patting their backs.

if Camparore of Burkina Faso can kill Thomas Sankara his mentor within 2 years of Sankara coming to power how much more Ojukwu.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 1:22pm On Oct 13, 2009
KnowAll:

You sure need to re – familiarise yourself with the Godfather movies again, Ojukwu fell like a park of cards at Major Katstina’s bait. Just like Tony the Godfather’s 1st son all gung-ho, without thinking it through he was cut down when he was set up by his brother-in law.

Ojukwu should have reasoned like Michael the Godfather’s second son, he knew had to take down his father’s enemies but went about it in a well planned and concise manner, one would expect with the intellect Ojukwu posses he could have eradicated every single person on that table within 18 months of smiling, shaking and patting their backs.

if Camparore of Burkina Faso can kill Thomas Sankara his mentor within 2 years of Sankara coming to power how much more Ojukwu.

So, Major Katsina was responsible? How?

I purposely ignored this part all the while but since it won't go away can you state in clear terms how Ojukwu fell like a pack of cards at Major Katsina's bait?

No stories, go straight to the point and I will respond accordingly.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 1:40pm On Oct 13, 2009
@Afam

It was obvious to the non military observers of the Aburi conference that Ojukwu "was clearly the star performer. Everyone wanted to please and concede to him". On the federal side, only the Military Governor of the Northern Region: Lt-Colonel Hassan Usman Katsina, seemed to realize the significance of what was going on. Anxious not to allow Ojukwu's domination of the proceedings to continue for too long, he at one point dared Ojukwu to "secede, and let the three of us (West, North, Mid-West) join together".

Alarmed by talk of a possible break-up of Nigeria, Ankrah quickly interjected and told his guests that "There is no question of secession when you come here [Ghana]". Although the FMG delegation was keen to mollify and make concessions to Ojukwu, Lt-Colonel Katsina was hostile and blunt than his other colleagues. He declared matter of factly to Ojukwu: "You command the east, if you want to come into Nigeria, come into Nigeria and that is that".

By issueing those 2 statements, if I where Ojukwu I will probably feel like stangulating the guy, but the nearest thing to strangulation is to fall for the bait in the 2nd statement, by pulling out of the federation. He fell for it, instead of Ojukwu to have his own game plan all setup for execution at a later date. If this is not a bait then what is a bait undecided
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Afam(m): 2:05pm On Oct 13, 2009
KnowAll:

@Afam

It was obvious to the non military observers of the Aburi conference that Ojukwu "was clearly the star performer. Everyone wanted to please and concede to him". On the federal side, only the Military Governor of the Northern Region: Lt-Colonel Hassan Usman Katsina, seemed to realize the significance of what was going on. Anxious not to allow Ojukwu's domination of the proceedings to continue for too long, he at one point dared Ojukwu to "secede, and let the three of us (West, North, Mid-West) join together".

Alarmed by talk of a possible break-up of Nigeria, Ankrah quickly interjected and told his guests that "There is no question of secession when you come here [Ghana]". Although the FMG delegation was keen to mollify and make concessions to Ojukwu, Lt-Colonel Katsina was hostile and blunt than his other colleagues. He declared matter of factly to Ojukwu: "You command the east, if you want to come into Nigeria, come into Nigeria and that is that".

By issueing those 2 statements, if I where Ojukwu I will probably feel like stangulating the guy, but the nearest thing to strangulation is to fall for the bait in the 2nd statement, by pulling out of the federation. He fell for it, instead of Ojukwu to have his own game plan all setup for execution at a later date. If this is not a bait then what is a bait undecided

So, in your wisdom Ojukwu just came back and decided to secede? Is this position correct? Is this your line of thought lest I waste my time addressing this?
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 5:06pm On Oct 13, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Excellent piece by Max Siullon!

It is clear that the main problem with the 1967 Aburi Accord, which the Nigerian side agreed to, was that Ojukwu's level of understanding of constitutional matters was  superior to those of the delegates on the Nigerian side - all seven of them! This mismatch created a scenario whereby the Nigerian delegates signed off on documents they poorly understood and so were forced to renege on.

In today's Nigeria, we still see the same thing. Real understanding of constitutional matters, coherent arguments and logical explanations are never welcomed in political circles. What is embraced is cheap reasoning, idiocy and empty rhetoric with zero depth.

While the Aburi Accord was trashed by the Nigerian government, most Nigerians still suffer from the misfortune of that fateful misstep.

I applaud Ojukwu [/b]for making a clear, logically consistent and constitutionally coherent argument in Aburi, Ghana. Unfortunately, the accord was disregarded because of the greed of a few bad men!

@[b]RichyBlacK

Thanks a million for your excellent and fair minded analysis. Honorable men are scarce in Nigeria.

KnowAll:

With all due respect, I believe that the men (military men) involved in that conference were some of the finest in Nigeria's history. They were men of integrity guided by espirit de corp. They were not MAFIOSI! (at least Ojukwu wasn't) You expected Ojukwu to assume that a fine officer like Gowon at the time (before the war turned him into a monster) would renege on a commitment he signed with his fellow officer of the Nigerian army. You see, that dishonorable and mafioso mindset was introduced into Nigeria's leadership by the Hassan Katsinas of the time and Nigeria has been led by one mafia head to the other till this day. This Aburi was in fact a watershed in Nigeria's leadership history. I'm amazed how we can trace almost everything evil in current Nigeria to that same conference.

@ndu_chucks
You will soon be blinded by the truth I bring because truth is like a powerful beam of light. Keep staring and lets see how long you'll stare. Meanwhile please address the topic and stop derailing it. Thanks!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2009
I just need to make a point

Thinking someone holds the view they hold because of the tribe they come from is in itself a prejudice born out of ethnic profiling and as such trbalistic in itself.

So when folks start their sentence with 'put your ethnic allegiances asside' they should understand that that remark in itself is tribalistic and has simply tainted what ever argument you want to make because you have made the point that you have a pre-concieved notion that whoever you are responding held his view because of the tribe he is from. When this may not neccesarily be the case.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Onlytruth(m): 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

The military had no business coming to power. They deserve zero credit for aburi, land use act or any of their other misguided policies. 
Please put your ethnic allegiances aside and recognise them for what they were - selfish, unpatriotic, egotistical, greedy rogues who have spoiled the country.

I almost agreed with you there except that in a country like Nigeria, I don't see how civilians can successfully restructure that place, since almost everyone now acknowledges that we should restructure somehow.  Unfortunately the military may still be our best hope of a successful restructuring. I don't know about the Nigerian military of today. The military of the 1960s was far more professional and patriotic. So, we must mourn Aburi as a great opportunity missed!
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by Dede1(m): 6:42pm On Oct 13, 2009
@ndu_chuks

When I am engaged in a debate that tends to dig for the truth and factual facts about the pre and post colonial era of the cesspit called Nigeria, I maintain zero tolerance for acute stupidity. The intellectual exercises that abound on this forum are geared toward educational purposes and to disabuse the minds of certain cretins that had cut a niche for culpable laziness while seeking the correct answers.

I shall not take kindly to individual opinions predicated upon innuendos and fallacies. For example, one of your foolhardy essays about crude oil or lack thereof in Igbo land was teetering more on idiocy than factual history of crude oil exploration in the jungle called Nigeria.

If you publicly reduce yourself to level of dirt, please do not plead innocence if stepped upon as everybody does to sand.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by gowaga68: 7:11pm On Oct 13, 2009
Where will all ths Agument take us too my Fellow NLers
The only Solution that can be done is we all find a way of dealing with out diffrences for the coming generation.
Aburi a belive too but there are some things to be looked into first.
peace to my Igbo Bro n Sis.
Re: The Famous Aburi Conference In Full Minute Detail: Judge For Yourself by KnowAll(m): 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2009
You see, that dishonorable and mafioso mindset was introduced into Nigeria's leadership by the Hassan Katsinas of the time and Nigeria has been led by one mafia head to the other till this day.

Hassan Katsina lured Ojukwu into a trap and Ojukwu in trying to call Hassan's bluff fluffed. Ojukwu was cornered like a rat, Katsina had put him where he wanted him,  Ojukwu a man of fine intellect and bravery was reduced to a scare crow who was smuggled out of Biafra in the dusk in other to save his skin.

I know for sure even today if Ojukwu were to ever make up with any of the other fellows on that table,  Hassan Katsina will be one man he will never make up with,  Hassan Katsina was Ojukwu's nemesis he out manoavered Ojukwu, Ojukwu knew he made both a tactical and intellectual error for falling for such an elementary bait like that.

The Aburi confrence in all honesty actually brought out the wisdom, craftiness and slyness of people like Hassan Kastina, Southerners and that includes Igbo's should accord this gentleman the respect he deserves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"Saraki Has Been Vindicated" Billboard Spotted In Kwara State (Pictured) / Chief Ernest Ernest Shonekan is dead (?) / Introducing Buhari Kerosene At N50/litre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.