Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,677 members, 7,823,913 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? (96478 Views)

Can I Pay My Tithe To My Church And Widows According To Deuteronomy 26:12? / #whatif: Daddy Freez Is Correct About Tithe? / Prophet Malachi Udorji, The Founder Of Children Of God Healing Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by dazzlingd(m): 10:01am On Jan 22, 2017
petra1:

All" the tithes to the priest and thou shall eat the tithe " do they sound the same ? YEARLY and every THREE years " do they sound same ?

1. The Levitical, or sacred tithe (Num. 18: 21, 24).

2. The tithe of the feasts (Deut. 14:22-27).

3. The tithe for the poor (Deut. 14:28, 29).

Who did Abraham eat his tithe with

it is very obvious that tithe was never money but agricultural products.

If Christians can do away with burnt offerings and the other ancient Israelite laws, why is tithe the only thing still being practiced ? just think about it

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by obyrich(m): 10:02am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:
Contrary to popular belief, tithing is not an old testament thingy. Jesus spoke about it in Matthew 23:23.
Tithe is a very old testament thing! The new testament was established on the cross of calvary not before. Was it practised by the disciples after Christ's ascension?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by aloziedaya(m): 10:03am On Jan 22, 2017
But these pastors are not Levites. They have businesses everywhere. Moreover tithe is a levitical law. Jesus, whom we follow His order of priesthood, is not a levite but from judae. Hebrew 7 told us that because there was imperfection in the levitical law, a priest had to come from another tribe and there was annulment of the levitical laws.
Hebrews 7 gives better understanding of the tithe and it's genuineness. Even all the apostles in the Epistles talked about giving and not tithe.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by emerged01(m): 10:04am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:

Exactly. Jesus condemned the manner it was paid but never said it was wrong to pay it. Two different things.
Thank you!
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by wtfCode: 10:04am On Jan 22, 2017
stainlink:
There is the tendency that Malachi is more pastor centered than Deuteronomy
Lool,pastor centered.
Odikwa egwu.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Etizz: 10:04am On Jan 22, 2017
personal luxury....
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by CecyAdrian(f): 10:04am On Jan 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
Why make simple things complicated?

Stop paying(funding) anyone's flamboyant lifestyle.

Let him/her report you to God.

Paying tithe is not salvation.

\

Lol cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Lexusgs430: 10:05am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:
While reading through the scripture one day, I came across rules and regulations concerning tithe in Deuteronomy , I was shocked because I never knew that the issue of tithe was talked about anywhere else excerpt in Malachi 3:8. Now, when you take a look at Deuteronomy 14 when God was giving the children of Israelite rules and regulations, God explained the concept or reason for tithe to them and gave them rules to abide in regards to it, from verse 22 downwards explains it so well.

Then you also go to Deuteronomy 26:12 downwards, the same rule was also repeated, and an very sure that the reason why God said that we should bring our tithes and offering in Malachi 3: 10 was for the actualization of his rules and regulation in Deuteronomy, which is feeding the Levites, poor, widows and the needy in the society

So, now I ask, why do pastors prefer Malachi even to the extent of twisting it to favour their aims instead of giving their church members the full concept, rules and regulations regarding tithing which the Lord commanded in Deuteronomy.

If you are in lagos or have online access, listen to CoolFMNigeria.
Freeze is dealing with the issue of tithe.........
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by dazzlingd(m): 10:07am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:

If you don't want to pay tithe, there is absolutely no compulsion. Those who pay know what they gain and they aren't complaining.

if you must pay tithe then do it the right way, take your money to Israel, buy your agricultural produce, go to the temple and offer them to the levites. Also you must practice the other laws of burnt offering, peace offerings and the rest

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:

And from whence did thou crawler out?

So, only a pastor can answer the question. No wonder they keep deceiving your gullible type

Paying tithes in church is giving 1-Tenth of the Blessing that you earned back to the Lord, the Most High God, to build His House. His House is for Spiritual enrichment, not to line the Pastor's pocket. 

Scripture teaches that a workman should be worthy of his hire. And thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. 

Pastors are to be supported. The building is to be kept up. The bills are to be paid. Electricity, light bulbs, and other resources aren't free for churches. 
If you are using church resources, then help pay the bills.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by profmallor: 10:07am On Jan 22, 2017
What Part is confusing really, I dont see any?

10And now, behold, I have brought the firstfruits of the land, which thou, O LORD, hast given me. And thou shalt set it before the LORD thy God, and worship before the LORD thy God: 11And thou shalt rejoice in every good thing which the LORD thy God hath given unto thee, and unto thine house, thou, and the Levite, and the stranger that is among you.

12When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled; 13Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them: 14I have not eaten thereof in my mourning, neither have I taken away ought thereof for any unclean use, nor given ought thereof for the dead: but I have hearkened to the voice of the LORD my God, and have done according to all that thou hast commanded me. 15Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven, and bless thy people Israel, and the land which thou hast given us, as thou swarest unto our fathers, a land that floweth with milk and honey.

CecyAdrian:
While reading through the scripture one day, I came across rules and regulations concerning tithe in Deuteronomy , I was shocked because I never knew that the issue of tithe was talked about anywhere else excerpt in Malachi 3:8. Now, when you take a look at Deuteronomy 14 when God was giving the children of Israelite rules and regulations, God explained the concept or reason for tithe to them and gave them rules to abide in regards to it, from verse 22 downwards explains it so well.

Then you also go to Deuteronomy 26:12 downwards, the same rule was also repeated, and an very sure that the reason why God said that we should bring our tithes and offering in Malachi 3: 10 was for the actualization of his rules and regulation in Deuteronomy, which is feeding the Levites, poor, widows and the needy in the society

So, now I ask, why do pastors prefer Malachi even to the extent of twisting it to favour their aims instead of giving their church members the full concept, rules and regulations regarding tithing which the Lord commanded in Deuteronomy.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Jesutofunmi896(m): 10:08am On Jan 22, 2017
petra1:
I can see your point
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:

Lol, Jesus condemned the manner in which it was paid, because much emphasis was laid on it just like the present church is doing now, instead of other things, like this pastors laying emphasis on justice, mercy and faith.

When you read through that chapter, his annoyance towards it shows he was not a fan of it.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Jesus did not come to do way with the law he wanted to fulfill the law and do what it could not do, which is save flesh. The lord gave the tithes to the priest because they were not able to till the land, they had to give themselves as intercessor to the lord at all times, thats why they had to offer sacrifices, one for them and one for the people..
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by martineverest(m): 10:12am On Jan 22, 2017
obyrich:
Tithe is a very old testament thing! The new testament was established on the cross of calvary not before. Was it practised by the disciples after Christ's ascension?
let me help u......hebrew 7 vs 5-12 ...tells it all...concentrate on vs 5 and 12.it totally abolished tithing

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by CecyAdrian(f): 10:13am On Jan 22, 2017
Mrtolotolo:

Paying tithes in church is giving 1-Tenth of the Blessing that you earned back to the Lord, the Most High God, to build His House. His House is for Spiritual enrichment, not to line the Pastor's pocket. 

Scripture teaches that a workman should be worthy of his hire. And thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. 

Pastors are to be supported. The building is to be kept up. The bills are to be paid. Electricity, light bulbs, and other resources aren't free for churches. 
If you are using church resources, then help pay the bills.

So, what do you call offering, building offering, special offering and the rest?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Btruth: 10:13am On Jan 22, 2017
Tithes are meant for those without any possessions.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by dazzlingd(m): 10:14am On Jan 22, 2017
petra1:

Beautiful ! At least it wassnt farm produce . It makes it clear that tithes is not about agric . It's about income . Either it's agric , salary , business gain. Or gift items.

It's a revelation of God revealed to Abraham . It started with Abraham .Abraham was not just a figure in the Bible He's our father of faith .

Galatians 3:14
14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Romans 4:16
. . . . but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

You are yet to mention one place in the bible or New testament where it was said that tithe is money and should be paid to a pastor or church? stop coining the bible just to win an argument

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by AceRoyal: 10:14am On Jan 22, 2017
petra1:

All" the tithes to the priest and thou shall eat the tithe " do they sound the same ? YEARLY and every THREE years " do they sound same ?

1. The Levitical, or sacred tithe (Num. 18: 21, 24).

2. The tithe of the feasts (Deut. 14:22-27).

3. The tithe for the poor (Deut. 14:28, 29).

Who did Abraham eat his tithe with
Stop trying to twist things,God is not an author of confusion!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Shafiiimran99: 10:14am On Jan 22, 2017
because they are mohmoh worshipers
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by EvangelistNdudi(m): 10:14am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:

You don't get it. Jesus condemned the neglect of other charitable acts and not the payment of tithe. He was trying to say paying tithe alone is not enough. That doesn't mean you should condemn tithe paying. What you should condemn is the pastors neglect of other charitable acts.
what Jesus say in that bible verse is that tithe is less important

What is important is justice and teaching
people the way of God

Matthew 23:23
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by xest(m): 10:15am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:
Contrary to popular belief, tithing is not an old testament thingy. Jesus spoke about it in Matthew 23:23.
. Good I like as u brought Matthew 23:23,quute alright Jesus mentioned tithing only ones in his entire life time and teaching. But he taught more about giving to one another as a true basis of Christian life. Now back to Mt 23:23 he was referring to the pharisees about how they r doing Wat is not really important and leaving that which is more important, which is justice, mercy and faith. He said that is what they ought to have done instead of leaving some undone. From the passage we all can see that tithe is not even one of the important things in the kingdom rather faith, justice and mercy. But the Pastors will never preach it or even go to that deutronomy. Am not condemning tithe, is a personal thing and is not obligatory rather is voluntarily.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by ccasilas(m): 10:15am On Jan 22, 2017
Tithing is given as an example in the Scriptures as how individuals should respond to God's blessings. Many individuals question whether the tithe is still applicable for believers today since we are not "under the law." Despite that distinction, many believers consider it their privilege to give proportionately to the work of the Lord using the tithe as a pattern. Although churches are not given percentages in the New Testament, the principle of proportionate giving is given (1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians cool. The New Testament also records that the believers in the church were collecting to give to other ministries.

Although there may not be a specific verse stating that a church should tithe to other ministries, it seems that churches and other ministries should be generous in supporting other ministries as the Lord prospers them. For some churches, it helps them to keep outwardly focused by setting a certain amount in their budget toward "outside ministries." Therefore, it would not be unusual for a church or ministry to give a tithe (10%) or another percentage to what they consider missions. At the same time, this is not to be a legalistic requirement. Rather, it is to be a joyous celebration in response to the Lord's provision.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by xcllaxix(m): 10:15am On Jan 22, 2017
Trying to interpret the holy scriptures with our human understanding alone is futile..it can only be fully understood with the help of the Holy Spirit cuz its a mystery..its more than just a book.. We only end up confusing others and ourselves when we strive to unravel it by our own wisdom alone..
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by llade(m): 10:15am On Jan 22, 2017
martineverest:
let me help u......hebrew 7 vs 5-12 ...tells it all...concentrate on vs 5 and 12.it totally abolished tithing
D annulment of tithting Heb 7:18
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:

I believe what I read in the bible and not what some Rabbi who obviously was trying to defend his source of income.

It's there in the bible white and black, God is not the author of confusion.

lol which one is God is not the author of confusion?

haven't u read where the Bible contradict itself?
is it God that wrote the Bible or as they say inspired by those who wrote it?

I'm a Christian, I don't think have ever paid tithe, the reason is not because of what I read, it's just that i don't have the mindset of doing it..

OK my problem is stop saying my God is not the author of confusion cos he is not speaking to you directly, OK you can continue with the argument.

I'll be at the sideline observing.
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Zenlife: 10:18am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:

Exactly. Jesus condemned the manner it was paid but never said it was wrong to pay it. Two different things.

Since it's wrong to pay it the way it's paid, then it's unscriptural thus an unblessed waste.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Etizz: 10:18am On Jan 22, 2017
dazzlingd:

it is very obvious that tithe was never money but agricultural products.

If Christians can do away with burnt offerings and the other ancient Israelite laws, why is tithe the only thing still being practiced ? just think about it

very good question.... though they will definitely have something to say just to answer it....

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 22, 2017
CecyAdrian:

So, what do you call offering, building offering, special offering and the rest?

Tithes usually go to the salaries of church workers, to the upkeep of church facilities, and to charity (support of widows and orphans). Offerings are one's gifts to advance God's cause (for evangelism, missions, relief and development, etc.)
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by melejo(m): 10:19am On Jan 22, 2017
Seun and co, I know you will throw it open as usual. when it touches Islam everyone must recite Quran before commenting. Nairaland and founder will pass away but I don't need to tell you that Christianity is eternal. I bet you one day you will preach Christ. No one will force you because we no de do like that. But just know that we are proud of our Bible because it stands the taste of time. We are willing to subject if to public scrutiny because it doesn't disappoint. I dare you to bring out your Quranic let's examine whether you will not pick sword

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by martineverest(m): 10:19am On Jan 22, 2017
llade:

D annulment of tithting Heb 7:18
read vs 22...it tellls more about the supremacy of jesus' convenant instead of the law
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by bukolafakeye(m): 10:19am On Jan 22, 2017
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? by Blurryface(m): 10:20am On Jan 22, 2017
ilynem:

God gave a rule, obey it. If our pastors use it to satisfy selfish needs, God is the judge. You pay tax whether the government Channels your tax to the right thing or embezzles it. It doesn't stop you from paying tax because it's a law. Same goes with tithe paying.

Are we still under the law? I thought Grace reigneth supreme in this dispensation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (38) (Reply)

Choir Master Relaxes With Busty Lady On A Beach In Akwa Ibom, See Reactions / Picture Of Turkey-Based Nigerian Man In A Bottle, Buried In Front Of His House / Stephanie Otobo And Apostle Suleman's Snapchat Video Screenshots Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.