Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? (21224 Views)

Extreme Wife's Submission To Her Husband According To The New Covenant. / Mary Is The Ark Of The New Covenant / Grace Is Our Teacher, Not The Ten Commandments - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:14pm On Feb 21, 2017
Goshen360:

Lol....not really but the word is true. He that is born of God CANNOT sin. It's either we know what he's saying or we dont.
the word is always true, it is the interpretation that usually causes headache. I have seen that passage interpreted so often that i can say i know a osas thread is coming soon.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:21pm On Feb 21, 2017
blueAgent:

It Obvious you don't. know your Bible.
Every one can claim to love God. so for you to prove that you love God you must obey his laws, the question is which laws?

I guess you have read this verse.

John 14:15
If you love me, keep my commandments.
To get the sense of the passage please read up John 14 and 15, Jesus isnt talking about the ten commandment but his own commandment of love.

jn 15:12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 5:23pm On Feb 21, 2017
MZLady39:

Love the pic Sir Muttley! Am honored to have received one for my post!
I'm an observer of the original Sabbath (Saturday) and that is the only Sabbath I now honor...with all due respect and not judging those that do not.
Sorry but don't understand what the words "gangan paapaa" mean but I will say this:
You had said that the "Sabbath" was the only commandment that had been abolished. I was disagreeing with you smiley
Nobody is judging anyone, exposing the truth is what has all along being going on

Noooooo sister, haba, don't pull out fast one on me like that

Don't misquote, misread and stop misunderstanding what I typed

After all the ten commandments were abolished, all the commandments, except for the fourth commandment were restored or reinstated
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 21, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Nobody is judging anyone, exposing the truth is what has all along being going on

Noooooo sister, haba, don't pull out fast one on me like that

Don't misquote, misread and stop misunderstanding what I typed

After all the ten commandments were abolished, all the commandments, except for the fourth commandment were restored or reinstated

Sir Muttley,
Let me not get confused with you...sorry but there wasn't any intention to misquote, misread or misunderstand you or pull a fast one. We are trying to get the facts right..am I correct?
Where we disagree is the part where you say, "After all the ten commandments were abolished, all the commandments, except for the fourth commandment were restored or reinstated"
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 10:40pm On Feb 21, 2017
MZLady39:
Sorry Love the pic Sir Muttley! Am honored to have received one for my post!
No, it is me who is honored for receiving the laughter tonic you and others have been brewing up for me
I love people who make me laugh and love them more when they brew me up laughter tonics

MZLady39:
Sorry I'm an observer of the original Sabbath (Saturday) and that is the only Sabbath I now honor...with all due respect and not judging those that do not.
I respect your choice
and believe that exposure to truth does set one free

MZLady39:
Sorry but don't understand what the words "gangan paapaa" mean
Nvm
but if you insist "gangan paapaa" literally means ''precisely without vagueness''

MZLady39:
but I will say this:
You had said that the "Sabbath" was the only commandment that had been abolished. I was disagreeing with you smiley
Madaaaaaamm, I nowhere said:'' the "Sabbath" was the ONLY commandment...''
please go over the post(s), as what you'll find I said was: ''ALL commandment were abolished but only nine were reinstituted...''

MZLady39:
Sir Muttley
Its not Muttley, its the laugh, hence MuttleyLaff
and I love it better without a cringy ''Sir''

MZLady39:
Let me not get confused with you...
sorry but there wasn't any intention to misquote, misread or misunderstand you or pull a fast one
Fact remained that I was quoted inaccurately, werent I?
It's water under bridge now, nvm

MZLady39:
We are trying to get the facts right..am I correct?
You're correct, so far we stick to getting the full facts right when next repeating or paraphrasing published posts

MZLady39:
Where we disagree is the part where you say, "After all the ten commandments were abolished, all the commandments, except for the fourth commandment were restored or reinstated"
You have to state clearly and in detail, leaving no room for doubt what you disagree with gangan paapaa in:
"After all the ten commandments were abolished,
all the commandments, except for the fourth commandment were restored or reinstated"
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 1:52am On Feb 22, 2017
Ubenedictus:
the word is always true, it is the interpretation that usually causes headache. I have seen that passage interpreted so often that i can say i know a osas thread is coming soon.

We can explore that on another thread or some other times if you so wish but certain not OSAS thing.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 2:05am On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:

Yes. are there alternative laws? you could give us.

1 John 3:23.

The problem with you guys is, whenever or wherever you see the "commandments", y'all quickly think or conclusion it's the 10. He never said, keep THE 10 commandments but rather, keep MY commandments. Jesus commandments ARE NOT SAME as the 10 commandments.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 8:27am On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:
It Obvious you don't know your Bible.
Every one can claim to love God. so for you to prove that you love God you must obey his laws, the question is which laws?

I guess you have read this verse.

John 14:15
If you love me, keep my commandments.

Goshen360:
And those commandments are the 10?

blueAgent:
Yes.
Are there alternative laws? you could give us

Goshen360:
1 John 3:23
The ''commandment'' in 1 John 3:23 is a translation from the Greek word ''entole''
and it is a simple and specific authoritative order focusing on the final result of an activity(ies)
or focusing on the end result of processing other Jesus' and NT commandments

The objective and centre of interest of the specific authoritative order (i.e. commandment) given in 1 John 3:23, glaringly is love
(i.e. that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another as He commanded us)

Love is in the detail of all Jesus' and NT commandments and 1 John 3:23 is used to simplify them
The simplicity of 1 John 3:23, without getting a sense of being overloaded, allows us to understand all His commandments quicker and easier

Goshen360:
The problem with you guys is, whenever or wherever you see the "commandments", y'all quickly think or conclusion it's the 10.
It is a rookie blunder and false conclusion to think that way
Others are posting here because they have something to say...
but, blueAgent is posting because blueAgent just has to say something

Goshen360:
He never said, keep THE 10 commandments but rather, keep MY commandments
In fact, Moses said,
'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your brothers.
You must listen to everything he tells you
(i.e. Him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever He shall say unto you)

- Acts 3:22

“The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brothers—it is to Him you shall listen
- Deuteronomy 18:15

Well, this depends who they are listening to.
Listening to Moses, or listening to Jesus and the NT

Goshen360:
Jesus commandments ARE NOT SAME as the 10 commandments
Jesus' and the NT commandments ARE ALMOST THE SAME as the 10 commandments
Jesus' and the NT commandments ARE the 10 commandments, less one, RELOADED
It is apparent that less one commandment, is enough for Jesus and the NT
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:59am On Feb 22, 2017
Goshen360:

We can explore that on another thread or some other times if you so wish but certain not OSAS thing.
I'll wait and see.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:10am On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:

Jesus' and the NT commandments ARE
ALMOST THE SAME as the 10
commandments
Jesus' and the NT commandments ARE the 10 commandments, less one , RELOADED
It is apparent that less one commandment, is
enough for Jesus and the NT

actually the new command of love encompass the 9 commandment and even more. The scope of those commandments have been expanded.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 9:57am On Feb 22, 2017
Ubenedictus:
actually the new command of love encompass the 9 commandment and even more. The scope of those commandments have been expanded.
Exactly my sentiment, less is more

The "new commandment" is a specific authoritative order. It is the pinnacle of all Jesus' and the NT commandments.

Its objective and final outcome is LOVE, this ultimately manifests when you abide and follow other Jesus' and the NT commandments.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by sonmvayina(m): 11:15am On Feb 22, 2017
Just asking...did the old testament not say anyone who is coming to change the law of moses is a false prophet....and the messiah was coming to establish a world wide observance of the law of moses and restore the daily sacrifice to God(Marduk).,and restore peace in the world..
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 1:40pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ubenedictus:
To get the sense of the passage please read up John 14 and 15, Jesus isnt talking about the ten commandment but his own commandment of love.

You are wrong.
the Ten Commandments hang from these two
commands like our 10 fingers hang from our two hands. They are inseparable. Love to God makes keeping the first four commandments (which concern God) a pleasure, and love toward our neighbor makes keeping the last six (which concern our neighbor) a joy. Love fulfills the law by taking away the drudgery and by making law keeping a delight ( Psalms 40:cool. When we truly love a person, honoring his or her requests becomes a joy. Jesus said," If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15. It is impossible to love the Lord and not keep His commandments, because the Bible says, "This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3. "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4.

So what are the commandments of God?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 1:45pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
It won't be a first to be drunk with the spirit.
You should try it.

Now, talking of this Matthew 5:19 verse you unashamedly put up.
Have you ever sat down to think about what commandments was Matthew 5:19 talking about. SMH

Have another go but try harder, just don't tie yourself up in knots

Please tell me what the commandments is?

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 1:51pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ubenedictus:

You see the Law of liberty you claim that is different from the 10commandments is a big lie.

ReadJames 2:9
But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James is making referrence to the ten commandments. it is only in the ten commandments that God explictly told people not to commit adultery or not to kill.
You see the law of liberty is the same as the ten commandments which james said we will be judged by.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 1:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
"For six days work may be done,
but on the seventh day you shall have a holy day,
a sabbath of complete rest to the LORD
;
whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

- Exodus 35:2

Dont only ask whether he keeps the Sabbath or not.
Ask him too, does he enforce the precept, underlined in Exodus 35:2 above?

They keep only the reinstated nine laws restored from ten abolished laws nailed on the cross for public display

I thought you already know that he likes exceeding his prerogatives wherenever the subject of sabbath is tabled

Even if it's ceremonial Sabbaths, the truth remains that weekly sabbath has been abolished

though it is an unfortunate confusion and easy mixing up oversight to make
it doesnt diminish the biblical facts and truth that the fourth commandment (i.e. remember the sabbath to keep it holy) was abolished
and unlike its nine other commandment counterparts not restored or reinstated

Stop posting rubbish you cannot defend from the Bible.

I guess you have not read this Bible verses.
"It is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than
one tittle of the law to fail." Luke 16:17. "My
covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." Psalms 89:34. "All his commandments are sure. They stand fast for everand ever." Psalms 111:7, 8.

This verses say that not even a dot or T will be removed from the law, So where did you see that one law(the Sabbath was done away with)?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 2:37pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:
Please tell me what the commandments is?
Say pretty please

blueAgent:

covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." Psalms 89:34. "All his commandments are sure. They stand fast for everand ever." Psalms 111:7, 8.

This verses say that not even a dot or T will be removed from the law, So where did you see that one law(the Sabbath was done away with)?

Goshen360 is right, you're fixated on The Ten Commandments
and that's why I gave you Deuteronomy 18:15 and Acts 3:22 up there, but it seems there are yet to sink in with you.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 2:51pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Say pretty please

I guess Deuteronomy 18:15 and Acts 3:22, I provided up there, have yet to sink in you.

What has Deuteronomy 18:15 and Acts3:22
have to do with God's law?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:
What has Deuteronomy 18:15 and Acts3:22
have to do with God's law?
The person through who those ten commandments came through, in those two verses, tells you who to listen to and to listen to whatsoever the Person tells you.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
The person through who those ten commandments came through, in those two verses, tells you who to listen to and to listen to whatsoever the Person tells you.

And what did the person tell us?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 3:13pm On Feb 22, 2017
Goshen360:

1 John 3:23.

The problem with you guys is, whenever or wherever you see the "commandments", y'all quickly think or conclusion it's the 10. He never said, keep THE 10 commandments but rather, keep MY commandments. Jesus commandments ARE NOT SAME as the 10 commandments.

You said Jesus gave a new commandment which is love? Cool. So what did that same Jesus tells you love is?

I think it is better for you to refrain from talking about love, since you do not know what is love or what it entails. Most saddening is the fact that efforts have been made to make you understand what love is. But no, the carnal mind will always hate God and His commandments.

So, just keep on making your 'wishful thinking' arguments, not love.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 3:27pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:
And what did the person tell us?
You have a bible don't you
In it, you'll find all that Jesus commands us and all the NT tells us to do.

Trust me, when you go through it, you will find Jesus commanding us and the NT explicitly telling us about all the Ten Commandments but without any mention of the fourth commandment

Mary once said about Jesus:
"Whatever He may say to you, do it"

Moses, before her too, about Jesus said: "Listen to Him and do whatsoever He says

Who you gonna listen to?
God the Son or Moses?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 3:30pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:

Be easy on these people. You should know that as carnal men (Romans 8:7), they'll always hate the commandments of God, neither can they submit to Him. They'll do everything and even embrace wishful thinking & self-deceit that it is no more. So let God be true and every man a liar (Romans 3:4).

Remember the instructions in 2 Timothy 2:23, and be guided accordingly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 3:51pm On Feb 22, 2017
Splinz:
Be easy on these people. You should know that as carnal men (Romans 8:7), they'll always hate the commandments of God, neither can they submit to Him. They'll do everything and even embrace wishful thinking & self-deceit that it is no more. So let God be true and every man a liar (Romans 3:4).

Remember the instructions in 2 Timothy 2:23, and be guided accordingly.
Keep on encouraging him but you both will have a rude awakening when on the day of giving account, you find that when put on charge of lying, you are not referred to Leviticus 19:11 nor Exodus 20:16 but you are referred to NT Ephesians 4:15

Every charge for violating the "reloaded ten commandments less one", will be making references to the New Testament verses similar to Ephesians 4:15.

Don't let the truth piss you off.
You better start liking this truth, but if not, then lump it
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
Exactly my sentiment, less is more

The "new commandment" is a specific authoritative order. It is the pinnacle of all Jesus' and the NT commandments.

Its objective and final outcome is LOVE, this ultimately manifests when you abide and follow other Jesus' and the NT commandments.
ON point.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:30pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:

You are wrong.
the Ten Commandments hang from these two
commands like our 10 fingers hang from our two hands. They are inseparable. Love to God makes keeping the first four commandments (which concern God) a pleasure, and love toward our neighbor makes keeping the last six (which concern our neighbor) a joy. Love fulfills the law by taking away the drudgery and by making law keeping a delight ( Psalms 40:cool. When we truly love a person, honoring his or her requests becomes a joy. Jesus said," If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15. It is impossible to love the Lord and not keep His commandments, because the Bible says, "This is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3. "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4.
So what are the commandments of God?
I guess what u are looking for is an excuse for sabbath abi?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 4:34pm On Feb 22, 2017
blueAgent:

You see the Law of liberty you claim that is different from the 10commandments is a big lie.

ReadJames 2:9
But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 2:11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James is making referrence to the ten commandments. it is only in the ten commandments that God explictly told people not to commit adultery or not to kill.
You see the law of liberty is the same as the ten commandments which james said we will be judged by.
The law of liberty is actually bigger than the old law so dont be suprised that do not kill is there. what u wont find though is sabbath.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 4:57pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ubenedictus:
I guess what u are looking for is an excuse for sabbath abi?

Kikikiki ki
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by urheme: 5:13pm On Feb 22, 2017
Old covenant is outward circumcision.....Ten commandment is different from covenant being that it is regarded as law.

covenant is like a contract between man and God sealed by the mark of circumcision......the new covenant is that ..

God has promise to make him self known to every man
that non may have to tell them that He is God...
God is sealing this covenant in the conscience and heart of men.

that is why as a Christian you now have a living conscience

Old Law stand abolished once it is repealed.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Feb 22, 2017
MuttleyLaff,
My apologies for you not liking "sir". It's a respect thing. But I will respect your choice.
Laughter and humor is good for the soul when it's not at the expense of another.
Thanks for the decent conversation and your respect of my faith.
You know what I believe.... so we're good......

I see however, that you like to play on words......interesting..but you know and I know....that you very clearly understand what I believe smiley
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by openmine(m): 2:07am On Feb 23, 2017
petra1:

Tithes and offering and alms and worship will always be principles in Gods kingdom
shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by MuttleyLaff: 8:01am On Feb 23, 2017
MZLady39:
MuttleyLaff,
My apologies for you not liking "sir". It's a respect thing. But I will respect your choice.
Your tone and words already conveyed it and I know you had good intentions with the ''sir'' thing
but using ''sir'' just became intolerable for me

MZLady39:
Laughter and humor is good for the soul when it's not at the expense of another
Claiming the sabbath hasnt been abolished is indefensible
but when posters whose ID we wont mention try to put up a defence,
what they write is so feeble and ridiculous as to deserve laughter or making fun of
Opting for the former, is why you see me downing the laughter tonic instead of outrightly make fun of post(er)

MZLady39:
Thanks for the decent conversation and your respect of my faith.
You know what I believe.... so we're good...
Wouldnt it be nice, if other posters are as mature and unruffled as you are
We can have a fall out, without needing to or taking it personal
Besides, thats the beauty of law of liberty, to respect your choice, as it's based on the current level of recognition and understanding

MZLady39:
I see however, that you like to play on words...
No, I dont like to play on words, my words are crystal clear
but some posters, inadvertently and some other posters with hidden agendas, inaccurately paraphrase some posts of mine they cant come to terms with

Whenever I share information or when exposing truths, I like making conscious efforts in selecting right words to use in my posts
so in essence, what I like doing is, to deliberately and intentionally pick certain words or phrases for maximum effect in all my communications

Maybe because my wordings, most times can be uncompromisingly forthright, that is why some think ''I like to play on words''

MZLady39:
nteresting..but you know and I know....that you very clearly understand what I believe smiley smiley
I clearly understand that you believe in keeping the fourth commandment
but do you believe you're an Israelite too?
Do you also believe in the strict enforcements in Exodus 31:14?

MZLady39:
So are you saying that the 10 commandments are no longer biding
All the 10 commandments at some point stopped being binding
but before you start crying blue murder, almost all were brought back
The same 10 commandments, less one (i.e. the fourth commandment) were brought forward in the NT
Each one of the ten commandments, except for the fourth commandment were and are explicitly reintroduced or reinstituted by Jesus or the NT

MZLady39:
and that there is no specific day of rest for His people?
28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest
29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

- Matthew 11:28-29

Yes there is no specific day of rest for believers. Jesus gives us rest. Jesus Christ is now our rest
We have rest from the work of flesh. Jesus is the rest. Jesus is the true rest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

If You Feel There Is No Heaven, Then, What Do You Think About This? / Mike Bamiloye Cautions Christians Paying Tithe From Their Sports Bet Wins / Coronavirus Will Not Catch You - Pastor Kumuyi Says (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.