Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? (21207 Views)

Extreme Wife's Submission To Her Husband According To The New Covenant. / Mary Is The Ark Of The New Covenant / Grace Is Our Teacher, Not The Ten Commandments - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 7:36pm On Feb 11, 2017
The more you try to uphold your delusion, the more blunders you make. I tell you, you have a long way to go.

I see you running again in desperation, making another fallacious claim that Jesus gave a new law which is LOVE. Really

Okay. Lets see what the Bible has to say about love.

Paul has this to say: "Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law" (Romans 13:10) And John: "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome" (1 John 5:3). Hello! Did you hear that- that we keep His commandments? Again, these two definitions are overarching.

So you see, love is also keeping of the LAW!

cc: Goshen360

PS: You keep on making the fallacious claims that the LAW was to be until Christ supposedly "nailed it to the cross". But looking at the Sabbath law for instance, we see that the Sabbath is a SIGN between God and His people FOREVER (See Exodus 31:17). What! Did God forgot that He will do away with this law? No, let God be true and every man a liar (Romans 3:4).

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by ayoku777(m): 8:20pm On Feb 11, 2017
Splinz:

Oh, you now know that this is not how to knock down an argument? But what exactly have you lot been doing?

Yes! I intentionally ignored your cheery-picking since you lot are trying to be smart by half. And note, I said I'd be willing to harmonize these Scriptures once he's ready to harmonize them. You can't cheery-picked what seems to support your arguments at the expense of other truths!

The same Paul you've been quoting expressly says: "Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law". Here, Paul is saying that the law is intact, but you, no; the law is abolished. You claimed (yes, you. Paul never said the LAW has been abolished) the law has been nullified, but Paul is saying contrarily. The question you should be asking yourself is: How can Paul uphold [interestingly enough, the dictionary definition of the word uphold is: confirm or support (something which has been questioned)] what is supposedly nullified (according to you)?

Until you agree that your nullification of the LAW is not in harmony with other Scriptural truths, I'd not reconcile your stumbling blocks.

PS: Did you also see how the Living Jesus Christ through His revelation to John, confirms that true Christians are commandment keepers, and because of this, Satan wages war against them

I asked you a simple question to reconcile three verses, you returned the question to me. That is a classic deflective method. Simply saying you don't know would have sufficed.

I understand your dilemma though. You are being shown many scriptures that show that the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with. Scriptures so direct and explicit, there is no way to give them another interpretation.

All you could do was quote another verse that you think contradicts the ones you've been shown.

Let me explain that verse for you;

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Paul is asking that, do we now void or make useless the law because of faith? He said no, we establish the law.

Question now is, How do we establish what is clearly stated in scripture that Christ has abolished and done away with?

Simple! By allowing the law to do what it was given to do in the first place. And what is that?

The law is the knowledge of sin and the revelation of guilt.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The purpose of the law was to shut men up, bring them to the end of their self-righteousness, give them a knowledge of their sin and their need for a Savior and then introduce them to God's Savior Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

This means that the way the law is establish is not by keeping it but by using it to give unbelievers the knowledge of their sin and their need for a Savior in Jesus Christ.

Meaning the law is indeed not useless or void, but it is not for the believer in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

1Tim1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man,

So that is how we establish the law, when it is used to give unbelievers the knowledge of sin and the revelation of their guilt and their need for a Savior in Jesus.

But to the new creation, the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with by Christ.

Then the other verse you quoted;

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

You said this verse proves that christians are commandments keepers.

Ofcourse, Christians are commandment keepers.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Question is which commandment? It is not the ten commandments, because according to the scriptures, the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with by Christ.

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

The commandment the new creation keeps is the Love commandment not the ten commandments. The love commandment that is kept by being filled and led of the Spirit.

So none of the scriptures you're arguing with means or implies the ten commandments have not been abolished or should still be kept by believers. The word of God is one and without contradictions.

Shalom

4 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 8:41pm On Feb 11, 2017
Splinz:
The more you try to uphold your delusion, the more blunders you make. I tell you, you have a long way to go.

I see you running again in desperation, making another fallacious claim that Jesus gave a new law which is LOVE. Really

Paul has this to say: "Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law" (Romans 13:10) And John: "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome" (1 John 5:3). Hello! Did you hear that- that we keep His commandments? Again, these two definitions are overarching.

PS: You keep on making the fallacious claims that the LAW was to be until Christ supposedly "nailed it to the cross". But looking at the Sabbath law for instance, we see that the Sabbath is a SIGN between God and His people FOREVER (See Exodus 31:17). What! Did God forgot that He will do away with this law? No, let God be true and every man a liar (Romans 3:4).

So do you keep the Sabbath?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 8:50pm On Feb 11, 2017
Goshen360:

Oh yes. Don't you know true Christians keeps it together with the rest of the law?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 9:08pm On Feb 11, 2017
ayoku777:

I asked you a simple question to reconcile three verses, you returned the question to me. That is a classic deflective method. Simply saying you don't know would have sufficed.

I understand your dilemma though. You are being shown many scriptures that show that the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with. Scriptures so direct and explicit, there is no way to give them another interpretation.

All you could do was quote another verse that you think contradicts the ones you've been shown.

Let me explain that verse for you;

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Paul is asking that, do we now void or make useless the law because of faith? He said no, we establish the law.

Question now is, How do we establish what is clearly stated in scripture that Christ has abolished and done away with?

Simple! By allowing the law to do what it was given to do in the first place. And what is that?

The law is the knowledge of sin and the revelation of guilt.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

The purpose of the law was to shut men up, bring them to the end of their self-righteousness, give them a knowledge of their sin and their need for a Savior and then introduce them to God's Savior Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

This means that the way the law is establish is not by keeping it but by using it to give unbelievers the knowledge of their sin and their need for a Savior in Jesus Christ.

Meaning the law is indeed not useless or void, but it is not for the believer in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

1Tim1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man,

So that is how we establish the law, when it is used to give unbelievers the knowledge of sin and the revelation of their guilt and their need for a Savior in Jesus.

But to the new creation, the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with by Christ.

Then the other verse you quoted;

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

You said this verse proves that christians are commandments keepers.

Ofcourse, Christians are commandment keepers.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Question is which commandment? It is not the ten commandments, because according to the scriptures, the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with by Christ.

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

The commandment the new creation keeps is the Love commandment not the ten commandments. The love commandment that is kept by being filled and led of the Spirit.

So none of the scriptures you're arguing with means or implies the ten commandments have not been abolished or should still be kept by believers. The word of God is one and without contradictions.

Shalom

You keep on recycling the same thing over and over again, interpreting them as it suits you. Have you bothered to ask why I've not gone indept into Paul's writings yet? I'm simply letting you to wallow in your ignorance- twisting these things to your hurt, like apostle Peter said.

Oh! You've even admitted now that Christians are commandment keepers? Wow... that's a nice step. But which commandment did you say Christians keeps- love

Look up, I've already discussed love with our friend. Jesus gave no new law, He was simply magnifying the Ten Commandment which is divided into two, the first four teaches man how to love God and the six, how to love fellow man. So according to Scriptures, love is the keeping of the Commandments!
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by ayoku777(m): 9:25pm On Feb 11, 2017
Splinz:

You keep on recycling the same thing over and over again, interpreting them as it suits you. Have you bothered to ask why I've not gone indept into Paul's writings yet? I'm simply letting you to wallow in your ignorance- twisting these things to your hurt, like apostle Peter said.

Oh! You've even admitted now that Christians are commandment keepers? Wow... that's a nice step. But which commandment did you say Christians keeps- love

Look up, I've already discussed love with our friend. Jesus gave no new law, He was simply magnifying the Ten Commandment which is divided into two, the first four teaches man how to love God and the six, how to love fellow man. So according to Scriptures, love is the keeping of the Commandments!

If love and the ten commandments are the same thing, Jesus would not call love "A new commandment".

John 13:34 A NEW COMMANDMENT I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

You don't call something new when it is a continuation of the old or the former.

When God calls one new, it is because He has made the former old and obsolete.

Hebrews 8v13 - By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

God does not bring in the new to run with the old, He brings in the new to replace the former.

Hebrews 10v9 -Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Hebrews 7v18 - The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless.

Ephesians 2v15 - He did this by ending the system of law with its commandments and regulations. He made peace between Jews and Gentiles by creating in himself one new people from the two groups.

Love is the new commandment. It is not a continuation of the ten commandments but a superior replacement.

The Love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit and we walk in it by being filled and led of the Spirit -not by keeping the ten commandments.

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Shalom

3 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 9:48pm On Feb 11, 2017
ayoku777:

If love and the ten commandments are the same thing, Jesus would not call love "A new commandment".

John 13:34 A NEW COMMANDMENT I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

You don't call something new when it is a continuation of the old or the former.

When God calls one new, it is because He has made the former old and obsolete.

Hebrews 8v13 - By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

God does not bring in the new to run with the old, He brings in the new to replace the former.

Hebrews 10v9 -Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Hebrews 7v18 - The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless.

Ephesians 2v15 - He did this by ending the system of law with its commandments and regulations. He made peace between Jews and Gentiles by creating in himself one new people from the two groups.

Love is the new commandment, and it is not a continuation of the ten commandments but a replacement.

The Love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit and we walk in it by being filled and led of the Spirit.

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Shalom

There he goes again, ignoring the Bible definition of LOVE. Just listen to yourself: the Commandment of Love? What is love

If the love of God is indeed shed abroad in your heart by the Holy Spirit, you would have kept the commandments which teaches no other thing but LOVE!- for God and fellow man.

But of course no, you can't keep this LAW because the carnal mind is hostile to God and His commandments! (Romans 8:7). Yes, this is your state, and this is why you can't submit to God's law and His rule over your life!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 10:16pm On Feb 11, 2017
Splinz:

Oh yes. Don't you know true Christians keeps it together with the rest of the law?

Oh really. Now I see.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 10:25pm On Feb 11, 2017
Goshen360:

Oh really. Now I see.
Yeah, now you know.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 6:21am On Feb 12, 2017
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:28am On Feb 12, 2017
Goshen360:

Oh really. Now I see.
That is the whole issue with slin and dralien, they keep the sabbath in their churches so they wont allow the law go. the bible says the old is obsolate, it has been superceeded by something more powerful that goes over and beyond it but many still wants to enjoy the law, they want to be under the school master.

this topic has been repeated on NL severally already, but so prefer the school master and the sabbath.

3 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:39am On Feb 12, 2017
Splinz:

Is that what ur bible says?

mine says i cant be judged on sabbath observance.

COL 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:41am On Feb 12, 2017
Splinz:

There he goes again, ignoring the Bible definition of LOVE. Just listen to yourself: the Commandment of Love? What is love

If the love of God is indeed shed abroad in your heart by the Holy Spirit, you would have kept the commandments which teaches no other thing but LOVE!- for God and fellow man.

But of course no, you can't keep this LAW because the carnal mind is hostile to God and His commandments! (Romans 8:7). Yes, this is your state, and this is why you can't submit to God's law and His rule over your life!
Hehehe, hope you dont want to became righteous by observing the law.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 2:08pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ubenedictus:
That is the whole issue with slin and dralien, they keep the sabbath in their churches so they wont allow the law go. the bible says the old is obsolate, it has been superceeded by something more powerful that goes over and beyond it but many still wants to enjoy the law, they want to be under the school master.

this topic has been repeated on NL severally already, but so prefer the school master and the sabbath.

Thanks my big brother! You're blessed
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 5:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
The Circumcision

To further illustrate and establish that Christians must keep the law, I want to use an unusual Biblical teaching—circumcision, to prove that the so-called grace preachers who claimed to be walking in the newness of the spirit are nothing but liars!

Yes, circumcision. God first gave it to Abraham in Genesis 17, and he and his household were circumcised on the flesh. Verse 11 says that this circumcision was to serve as a SIGN of the covenant that God had with Abraham (Note: this point is also reiterated by Paul in Romans 4:11).

Now talking of Romans 4, verse 10 asked how faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness, whether it was before or after he had been circumcised? The Bible also answered that it was not after, but before he was circumcised. And what is the essence of circumcision? Again, the Bible answered: "Circumcision indeed is of value if you obey the law; but if you break the law, your circumcision becomes uncircumcision" (Romans 2:25). Please, grasp this understanding.

But someone may scream 'No! Circumcision is of the Old Testament and of the Jew'. Not so fast, lets see what the Bible has to say in the New Testament about such an objection: "He is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart, spiritual and not literal...", verse 29. Here, we see that both Jew and circumcision are no longer on the flesh but spiritual, i.e, a Christian is also a Jew and circumcised. Of course, this is so that the promises made to Abraham may also be binding on us who believed, with circumcision serving as a SIGN of the covenant.

The Point

The lawless ones (interestingly enough, Satan is also known by this title) who claims the Ten Commandments have been done away and that they are of grace and the Holy Spirit (Indeed, a Christian is saved by grace and afterwards, justify in God's sight as a doer of the law, Romans 2:13), but in reality, these people are liars! How? Simple. If they have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, they would have kept the LAW since circumcision is of no value when you're lawless!

Further proof that uncircumcised/carnal people don't keep the law? Here: "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be (Romans 8:7). Yes, those who are in the flesh cannot please God because they hate His commandments, and by extension, hate God equally! It is carnally people that actually hate the commandments!

Remember, faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness before he was circumcised, just as while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son (Romans 5:10).

Let me digress a bit from here. This will make room for better understanding.

There are at least three basic steps to take before one can be so truly called a Christian: 1. Repentance 2. Baptism 3. Receiving of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38). Lets talk of repentance. What is it? Repentance simply means a change of heart—from doing something wrong. Lets say for instance, you commit fornication/adultery, steal, kill etc, and you later became sorry for them because you have broken God's holy, righteous and good law, you then proceeded to repentance—a change of heart from further breaking of these commandments (Note: one of the major theme in the Bible is REPENTANCE). Also, looking at the third step above, the Bible talks of "grieving the Holy Spirit" (Ephesians 4:30). How does one grieve the Holy Spirit? Simple. By going back into the very things he was delivered from—unrighteous works of darkness! Also remember that the law is also called "righteous" (Romans 7:12). So therefore, unrighteous works are works which opposes the law. In fact, listen to this: "How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?" (Hebrews 10:29). Have you seen the folly of claiming to have the Holy Spirit but yet, do not keep the law or claim the law is no more, when in fact, one core functions of the Holy Spirit is to help a Christian to keep these holy, righteous and good commandments

Now lets tidy up everything together. Abraham was not counted righteous by faith alone but he also kept the commandments (Genesis 26:5, also see James 2:14-26). Yes, he wouldn't have inherit the promises if he didn't keep his own part of the agreement! The same is also true of a Christian today. He/she can't attain salvation if he keeps on living in sin—lawlessness, since his circumcision/receiving of the Holy Spirit will be of no value if he keeps on doing the same things he was delivered from, thereby grieving the Holy Spirit instead of pleasing God! So then, the LAW is FOREVER! (Exodus 31:17).

PS: To you children of disobedience (Ephesians 2:2), I'd end my piece with this: "He who says "I know him" but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:4). Yes, liars!!!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by LLSAINT(m): 2:03pm On Feb 13, 2017
analice107:

Thank you.
And the Part which was fulfilled has to do with the sacrificial laws, which concerns atonement for sins by shedding the blood of an animal in the place of Man's sins.

Jesus became that lamb. But what about the moral laws, do they also needs be fulfilled?

The only part of the law fulfilled, is the part that concerns sins
I strongly believe that Jesus did not come to fulfil a part of the Law but the WHOLE of it. That is why He said IT IS FINISHED not abolished. The Laws(including moral laws) were no longer valid in the tablets of stones but in our hearts as the Holy Spirit guides us to fulfil the Law of Christ of which the foundation was laid by the Laws of Moses to guide as a schoolmaster before its fulfilment by Christ.

2 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by LLSAINT(m): 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2017
Splinz:

May God bless you and enrich you with wisdom!

Thanks bro, you said my mind.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by petra1(m): 2:23pm On Feb 13, 2017
Goshen360:

Hmmm...

Splinz:

Gbam....

Goshen360:

Oh really. Now I see.

grin > grin grin grin grin

Splinz:

Yeah, now you know.

I don waka comot

2 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:54pm On Feb 13, 2017
petra1:

Hmmm...

Gbam....

grin > grin grin grin grin

I don waka comot
where u dey go?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 6:41pm On Feb 13, 2017
LLSAINT:

Thanks bro, you said my mind.

Oh, don't mention. By His grace, I'd keep on saying it as it is, not minding whether it offends some people or not. We must obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29).
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:46pm On Feb 13, 2017
analice107:

No Goshen that's not true.

The Ten commands still holds firmly in the New covenant.

The Master divided the Ten Commands into 2.

The Ten Commandments are all about LOVE. Half is love for God and half love for fellow man.

What is Jesus central message? isn't it love?
For for God, and love for one another.
do u also observe the sabbath?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 10:25pm On Feb 13, 2017
Ubenedictus:
do u also observe the sabbath?
How does the Sabbath come in here?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 8:04am On Feb 14, 2017
analice107:

Because Sabbath is part of the 10 commandments.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by petra1(m): 10:51am On Feb 14, 2017
Goshen360:

Because Sabbath is part of the 10 commandments.

Christ fulfilled the sabbath.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by ayoku777(m): 11:13am On Feb 14, 2017
Why do some people have this idea that once we say that the ten commandments have been abolished and done away with, we automatically mean it is now okay to kill, lie, commit adultery etc?

We need to realize that thousands of years before the ten commandments came on the scene, people have been walking with God, pleasing Him and obtaining a good report from Him.

Enoch walked with God and pleased God so much he was translated out of this world without seeing death, about 2000 years before the ten commandments.

Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that HE PLEASED GOD.

Noah walked with God, and he had a good testimony from God Himself that he was righteous in his generation, 1500 years before the ten commandments.

Gen 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen RIGHTEOUS BEFORE ME in this generation.

Abraham walked God to the point that he became a friend of God according to the scriptures, 700 years before the ten commandments.

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Joseph also walked with God and he eschewed evil. He knew fornication was a great wickedness against God and fled from it, 400 years before the ten commandments.

Gen 39:9 There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?

How were all these people able to walk with God and please Him when they lived thousands and hundreds of years before the ten commandments? How were they able to obtain a good report from God and from the scriptures without any need of the ten commandments?

I know how. Scripture tells us how.

Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

See that? They were all able to walk with God and obtain a good report from Him, without any need for the ten commandments - THROUGH FAITH!

Faith which the bible says "worketh by love."

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

If Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Joseph etc, were all able to walk with God, please Him and obtain a good report from Him, without any need for a ten commandments, but with just the faith that worketh by love, how much more can we believers, do the same and more.

Especially now that we have something better than they had then now as new creation - the new birth, the gift of righteousness and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit - who sheds abroad in our hearts the love of God.

The ten commandments have indeed been abolished and done away with by Christ.

Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

2Cor 3:11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

We no longer need it as new creations to walk with God and please Him, anymore than Enoch, Noah, Abraham and Joseph needed the ten commandments to walk with God and obtain a good report from Him.

All we need now is faith in Christ that imputes to us the gift of righteousness, and the Holy Spirit that sheds abroad in our hearts the love of God.

With that we will love God and love men like God -without the ten commandments.

Shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:52am On Feb 14, 2017
petra1:

so he fulfill some commandment and didnt fulfill d rest? is that what u are saying.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:53am On Feb 14, 2017
analice107:

Accord to ur numbering, what is the 4th commandment?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 4:32pm On Feb 14, 2017
DID THE TEN COMMANDMENTS PRECEDE MOSES?

A combination of ignorance and an attempt to minimize the Ten Commandments as “dispensational” (obligatory for a limited period of time) has caused most to believe the Ten Commandments did not exist prior to Moses receiving them on Mount Sinai. Is this true? Is this what the Bible teaches? Lets examine the period from Creation to Moses. Keeping in mind that scripture cannot be broken, what scriptures can be examined for proof?

The Ten Commandments were already in force long before they were officially given to Israel at Mount Sinai and this will be demonstrated. In fact, these commandments have existed since the creation of man. The Ten Commandments were never part of the law of Moses or the Levitical sacrificial system. The civil laws and sacrifices were based on God’s commands, which constitute the core of His laws. Thus, the Ten Commandments precede and transcend any and every lesser law or practice based upon them—statutes, judgments, precepts, and ordinances.

The Ten Commandments are God’s spiritual laws (Rom. 7:12, 14). They are just as active as the physical laws of gravity and inertia. Just as breaking physical laws results in physical consequences, breaking spiritual laws results in spiritual consequences.

Sin Defined

Most human beings either do not know of or do not like to be reminded of I John 3:4, which defines sin: “Whosoever commits sin transgresses also THE LAW: for sin is the transgression of THE LAW.” As the subject develops, you will come to see (in stages) the central connection between sin and the law.

Romans 6:23 states that “the wages of SIN is death.” Romans 5 explains, “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of Him that was to come)” (vs. 12-14).

In other words, Adam sinned. Sin is not imputed—does not apply—where there is no law (carefully read Romans 4:15). Death reigned from Adam to Moses. (Remember, death is the penalty for sin, which is defined as the transgression of the law.) The only way that Adam and his descendants could sin—break God’s spiritual law—is if God’s Law already existed! Without this law in place, no one could be guilty of sin.

Instead of rejecting sin, modern religionists reject the law. They view the law as a burden—they want to be free from keeping it. But notice the key lessons found in Romans 7:7: “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, You shall not covet.” It is not the law that is at fault—and Paul is clearly citing one of the Ten Commandments—but sin. God reveals to us what sin is. He does this by His perfect law. On his own, man cannot discover God’s perfect law. God has to reveal and teach it to us.

Examples

We've already seen that Adam and his wife were the first sinners—lawbreakers. And that sin is not counted when there's no law. Lets see other examples.

Cain

In Genesis 4, Adam’s first son, Cain, became angry against his brother Abel, because God accepted Abel’s sacrifice, but not Cain’s. Notice how God admonished Cain in verses 6-7: “And the LORD said unto Cain, Why are you wroth [angry]? and why is your countenance fallen? If you do well, shall you not be accepted? and if you do not well, sin [impossible without the Law] lies at the door. And unto you shall be his desire, and you shall rule over him.” Cain murdered and broke the SIXTH COMMANDMENT.

When someone is in the wrong frame of mind, sin does lie at the door, waiting to happen, because sinful thoughts lead to sinful actions. God commands us to rule over sin—to control those pulls and impulses to commit sin. Cain murdered Abel and lied to God about it. This is a direct violation of the NINTH COMMANDMENT, which forbids “bearing false witness against your neighbor.” Cain had sinned and he knew it. This happened a few decades after Adam had first sinned. Adam and Eve’s expanding family knew that sin was the breaking of God’s Law, or God would not have held them accountable.

Jacob

Jacob warned his people, “Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments: and let us arise, and go up to Bethel; and I will make there an altar unto God, who answered me in the day of my distress, and was with me in the way which I went” (Gen. 35:2-3). Jacob knew that God forbade idolatry—breaking the SECOND COMMANDMENT. By telling his household to put away their idols, this fulfilled the principle in Proverbs 16:6, “By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.”

Abraham

When Abram told King Abimelech that Sarah, his half sister and wife, was merely his sister, he lied—another breaking of the NINTH COMMANDMENT. Believing this, Abimelech sent for Sarah. Now notice Genesis 20:3-4, 6: “But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, you are but a dead man, for the woman which you have taken; for she is a man’s wife. But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, LORD, will you slay also a righteous nation?…And God said unto him in a dream, Yes, I know that you did this in the integrity of your heart; for I also withheld you from sinning against Me: therefore suffered I you not to touch her.” In this situation, Abimelech would have committed adultery, which is a sin. He would have broken the SEVENTH COMMANDMENT.

Joseph

When Joseph was tempted by the advances of Potiphar’s wife, he “…refused, and said unto his master’s wife, Behold, my master knows not what is with me in the house, and he has committed all that he has to my hand; There is none greater in this house than I; neither has he kept back any thing from me but you, because you are his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” (Gen. 39:8-9). Joseph was well aware that adultery was sin. This occurred about 250 years before the law was officially presented to Israel at Mount Sinai!

In conclusion, we've seen that the Law was in effect right from the beginning, for if it weren't, Adam and the rest wouldn't have been guilty of sin or know what is sin!

PS: The easiest way to know that the Law existed right at the very beginning of creation is the Sabbath law (Genesis 2:3, Hebrews 4:4).
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by petra1(m): 6:32pm On Feb 14, 2017
Ubenedictus:
so he fulfill some commandment and didnt fulfill d rest? is that what u are saying.

Did Jesus fulfill . "Thou shall have no other God? It's still your responsibility to kee away from idol. If he did how did he do it.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2017
petra1:

Hi,
How did Christ fulfill the Sabbath?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by petra1(m): 7:27pm On Feb 14, 2017
MZLady39:

Hi,
How did Christ fulfill the Sabbath?

Sabbath is a shadow of christ. He came to give us rest. Rest is salvation .

Matthew 12:8 (KJV Strong's)
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day

Sabbath means rest

Matthew 11:28-29 (KJV)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 14, 2017
So are you saying that the 10 commandments are no longer biding and that there is no specific day of rest for His people?

petra1:

Sabbath is a shadow of christ. He came to give us rest. Rest is salvation .

Matthew 12:8 (KJV Strong's)
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day

Sabbath means rest

Matthew 11:28-29 (KJV)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Fr. Timothy Ngwuta's Arrest: Statement From The Catholic Diocese Of Abakaliki / Low Turnout Of Teens In Churches Nowadays. / Loveworld International Music & Arts Awards (LIMA AWARDS 2017) Winners/ Prizes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.