Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:05 AM

Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria (45656 Views)

Adama Beverages Workers Deny Report Of Mass Sack, Molestation Of Workers / Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) / First Bank Staff In Port Harcourt Reacts To Mass Sack Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Midastorch(m): 4:52pm On May 02, 2017
Rejoice my brother,the day I was sacked from Tech Mahindra feels like yesterday... when the quality guy called me to listen to my call, I was just laghing,it was a bad call though,but I care less about the outcome of the HR's decision.....after lyk 3months @ home,God landed me a Federal Job that pay 5times what I earned with the "COLONIAL MASTERs" (Indians)......im sure your testimony is on the way too......

3 Likes

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Sij01(m): 4:53pm On May 02, 2017
It's so sad to hear such news, when your wedding is near by...

More reason a lot of monthly salary earners needs to pick up Anchor Insurance Loss of Employment Scheme.

https://www.nairaland.com/3671077/anchor-insurance-loeis
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 02, 2017
EmekaBlue:
Now they have sacked u at a bad time...Can u plz expose cheats of free browsing with etisalat.Thankyou
OP,I support this. Karma is best when served cold! grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by divinelove(m): 4:55pm On May 02, 2017
holuwhagbenga:
I Started My career as a customer care agent with Etisalat (contract staff) four(4) years ago(April19-2013), with good attitude to work and no issue.Surprisingly few days ago My Appointment Got Terminated with other colleagues mine on the same date I was employed(April-19-2017-Exactly 4years) without any reason.. This is totally unacceptable..
(April-19/2013 to April-19/2017)

The Saddest Part of My story is that I got the termination letter few weeks to My Wedding Day......

So confused and I don't know what to do...
#WhatACountry
#Recession
#ProblemSharedProblemSolved
#EtisalatNigeriaMassSacking

You can Share...

Sorry bro things will get better soon it's just a phase of life. Deploy measures to make ur wedding a very low key wedding to reduce d rough times ahead n think of something u can start doing immediately to be self employed - if u ve a car turn into a taxi driver immediately to survive
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 4:58pm On May 02, 2017
thegreengooner:
I am sorry but I don't think I see any employment letter from Etisalat...legally Etisalat did not sack you.

I pray you get a new and better job soon.

God bless
What do u mean bro?.how?
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by otokx(m): 5:01pm On May 02, 2017
sunbilor:
I know 2 people affected by the sack. This recession is biting harder.

its not a recession, most of this companies are contracting out their jobs to firms in India, China, etc from maintenance to customer care, what we are left with is sales and advert.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 02, 2017
undecided
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 5:04pm On May 02, 2017
kaikubura:
A general manager in a place I once worked told us that before a company sell its spanner, wrench, furniture and other things; they will rather terminate someone's employment because men can be easily replaced not tools.
I was so sad on hearing that.

Baseline is always have a business to fall back on.

All the best bro
And you hailed him isnt?
Please how is that true? That men can easily replaced not tools?
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nkarchi: 5:05pm On May 02, 2017
I can imagine how frustrated u feel especially with few days to your wedding but trust me you will have a very successful wedding. See this incident as an opportunity to move forward in life, begin to think of what you can do for your self, paid employment has never been the way out.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 02, 2017
nextstep:
First of all, sorry, ehn. It is well.

I've been sacked 3 times in my career. Everytime, there were rumours weeks and even months before it happened, which I used to prepare. Was this really sudden, or were people talking about impending sack? You say you're confused and don't know what to do; it's really quite simple:

- scale down the wedding (or even postpone it if it's not too late)
- apply for work (yes, I know there are no jobs, but you won't get one if you don't even apply)
- start a small side hustle (even retailing pure water from your house or recharge card, which you can start with as low as 1k).

Nothing is beneath you. I have a degree in engineering, yet have washed toilets, painted, gardened, done general labour, sold food, because anything is better than 0 naira.

What I learned from my sackings are:

- no matter how qualified you think you are, you are at somebody else's mercy (I know top tech people, bankers, sales staff who suddenly lost their jobs). Try to find ways to reduce your dependence on somebody for a job.

- save 20-30% of your monthly salary for a rainy day. I know people will say there's barely money remaining after rent, food, and transport. My reply is: you can either find ways to save when you're employed or suffer the consequences when you lose your job. Your choice. Even if it means torch phone, no hanging out with the boys and 1 shoe... let people laugh. They won't give you a single naira when you need it.

- you really need to keep one foot in some kind of business that will sustain you. Contracting on the side, selling pure water from your house to your neighbors, or a small provision store that you supervise. As you gather money, you can join some reputable groups/coops to do anything from leasing land for farming (you don't do the actual farming), importing, trading, buying land and developing it. Anything helps.

Take this as a learning point. Ultimately, you are responsible for yourself - you cannot blame your employer for not "taking care of you". It is not in any business' interest to keep staff it can't pay otherwise the business will find itself in trouble and die.

Excellent advice!
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 02, 2017
4dor:

It's not recession rather it's a disruption, instant messaging apps with call and video options is gradually burying the telecoms industry. Why do you think MTN is pivoting?
exactly!!! Technology is changing many things. Many banks will be sacking too because of "digital banking" i.e alat.ng. Eco has started.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by thegreengooner(m): 5:27pm On May 02, 2017
Partnerbiz:

What do u mean bro?.how?

He was employed by EMTS Staff Multipurpose...basically he was a staff of Etisalat Cooperative....His employment was terminated by ESMCS Limited....I assume they merged into a separate organisation. Notice the slightly different logo.

At no point was he employed by Etisalat Nigeria. At best he was a service contract staff...this means the service was contracted to ESMCS who would then provide resources to perform the tasks required.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by 4dor: 5:28pm On May 02, 2017
Ralphlauren:

I disagree.

These messaging aps are used in other countries yet their telecoms sector is still very vibrant.

The problem is that these companies are not innovative. They can also expand and introduce other products such as sim only deals inclusive of minutes and data, etc.

In the UK, we have SKY. A company listed on the stock exchange. They started with providing satellite TV services before expanding into landline and broadband. Just recently, they've introduced mobile phone services offering deals for mobile phone customers.

You know the funny thing about this post my brother? You said you disagree but went ahead to same the same thing as me. Remember my post you quoted said "Why do you think MTN is pivoting"? The emboldened is what we call pivoting in tech so you actually agree with me you just explained it better in layman's terms.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by exlinkleads(f): 5:30pm On May 02, 2017
so so sorry

is really bad
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Category1: 5:31pm On May 02, 2017
CXLVII:

Your foolishness is epic!

An 100% certain you can't go far in life!

Bro I reject that hahaha
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by zazawaga(m): 5:33pm On May 02, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3775644/unlike-buhari-cant-work-home

This is the answer to keeping your job and help you enjoy your job.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by 4dor: 5:37pm On May 02, 2017
DavidEsq:

Pls cld u explain beta? I cldnt pass up dis revelation

The origin of telecoms was basically voice then later texts and these companies enjoyed a lot of monopoly but the advent of mobile internet and smart phones especially especially Android and Iphone has enabled a different breed of giants.

Now ask yourself when was the last time you sent an sms? How many whatsapp messages have you sent this week? Was it like this 10 years ago? I called my mum on sunday after speaking to her for some few minutes I dropped, she then called back on whatsapp basically because she has a lot to say and "didn't want to waste credit". Now that's less revenue for a telecoms company, you will say but they are selling data now. Unfortunately most of this apps have been built with crazy compression algorithms that they use less data. So these telecoms companies have to pivot: find other creative ways to generate funds. MTN is currently doing that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by sshalom(m): 5:43pm On May 02, 2017
The gale of retrenchment in Nigeria is now so worrisome. One would have thought that we have already passed this with all the information coming out that we are no longer in recession. May GOD provide for all the affected in Jesus Name!
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 5:45pm On May 02, 2017
chukzyfcbb:
Etisalat is in a real mess right now, in fact I think their company have been taken over by amcon.
They owe access bank 40billion
they also owe GTbank 42billion
They owe fidelity bank 17billion
in fact the total amount of debt owed to 13banks is 377billion naira($1.2bn)
The Telecoms company are not finding it funny with that huge debt obligation hanging on their neck.
Job retrenchment was on the cards with all that negative news, a pity you were affected
Amcom didn't later take over. Besides all those debts isn't upto 20percent of what mtn is paying as oenalty to the NCC. They just paid another 30 bn last week to NCC.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 5:50pm On May 02, 2017
Lightening:

Surprisingly no sympathy for any telecoms worker that looses his job. After colluding with your employers to steal your customers' credit by debiting them as much as #100 weekly under some dubious guise of the customer requesting one nonsense value added service of yours or the other which was never requested even inspite of repeated protests. Your loyalty was always with the your Arab employees and now you have been dumped, you are turning to the teeming Nigeria masses you helped to plunder for solace. Funny!
thats was insensitive and out of ignorance. He was a mere worker and not a shareholder. Shareholders own the company. If they steal 1bn from you the shareholders share it as dividends. He as a worker getsgets no share or salary increase cos of it. He has no blame in ur deductions. He was even a CC attendant.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 02, 2017
labakeJ:
So sorry dear but pls postpone that wedding till u r balanced so u won't enter marriage frustrated. I guess ur wife to be is understanding
You might as well get a new job before then who knows.
So sorry again.
postpone wedding of 2weeks after d invitatn.

if he invite me again,I no go come.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by nwosu35: 5:52pm On May 02, 2017
We should all accept it cus some of us voted for change, and the change is here with us.

The heart Bro.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by labakeJ(f): 5:55pm On May 02, 2017
pesinfada:
postpone wedding of 2weeks after d invitatn.

if he invite me again,I no go come.
Lool but u should understand the situation na
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by TinaAnita(f): 5:57pm On May 02, 2017
Getting married without a substantial job at hand is not a good idea even if your future wife is very understanding except you don't mind washing the dishes, cleaning the house, washing her clothes, etc while she assumes your role as the head of the house.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by wintersnow(m): 6:09pm On May 02, 2017
labakeJ:
So sorry dear but pls postpone that wedding till u r balanced so u won't enter marriage frustrated. I guess ur wife to be is understanding
You might as well get a new job before then who knows.
So sorry again.

Your smile is amazing
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by bootylady101(f): 6:11pm On May 02, 2017
GeorgeTheCoder:

Yours is the backward mentality of a typical Nigerian

remember we r both Nigerians

please anytime u sleep or make love to your woman please post it here, if she cums pls post it here, if she gets preggy pls post it here, Infact put all n everything you do in life both good and bad put all here.

when he gets another one and there are vacancies he won't put it here. men keep tins to themselves, leave the gossiping or talking to the women
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 6:12pm On May 02, 2017
4dor:

You know the funny thing about this post my brother? You said you disagree but went ahead to same the same thing as me. Remember my post you quoted said "Why do you think MTN is pivoting"? The emboldened is what we call pivoting in tech so you actually agree with me you just explained it better in layman's terms.
I am impressed that you know that's the correct word. We misuse it a lot. Some say bolded etc.
What did you study in school if you don't mind?

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by bootylady101(f): 6:15pm On May 02, 2017
SirL0neWolf:

I won't waste time to bash you just one advice to u..free ur mind from hate before it eats you alive...so he should create a thread that he's flexing or what..wtf?!!! If u can't encourage then stfu!!

you don't ve time to waste but you had the time to type n reply

Wetin de do the so called men these days? so na here u want him to get encouragement, let private tins remain private, look for what gives you that drive and move on
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 6:15pm On May 02, 2017
TinaAnita:
Getting married without a substantial job at hand is not a good idea even if your future wife is very understanding except you don't mind washing the dishes, cleaning the house, washing her clothes, etc while she assumes your role as the head of the house.
I have told ppl that love is a mirage. Everything in life is biz. 99 % percent of women will change when finance dwindle.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by labakeJ(f): 6:17pm On May 02, 2017
wintersnow:

Your smile is amazing
cheesy Thank u
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by wintersnow(m): 6:19pm On May 02, 2017
labakeJ:
cheesy Thank u

Why's your hair scattered now, you know I don't like seeing your hair like this naw

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM / Man Collapsed After His Salary Was Slashed From N18,000 To N5,000 In Kebbi / Engineers: Improving Engineering (today's Government) with job opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.