Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria (45655 Views)

Adama Beverages Workers Deny Report Of Mass Sack, Molestation Of Workers / Mass Sack In Ecobank, Sacked Workers Protest (Photos) / First Bank Staff In Port Harcourt Reacts To Mass Sack Allegation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Deepfreezer(m): 6:21pm On May 02, 2017
bootylady101:
I feel your pain tho but

when you got the job, we no hear and when you were flexing ,with knowledge of internal vacancies we no hear, now sack don come you create thread, what will you ve us do now,

bashing is welcome o
hahhahhahahha tgis si the most realist comment ive read today on nairaland. ROFTL
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by 4dor: 6:21pm On May 02, 2017
Partnerbiz:

I am impressed that you know that's the correct word. We misuse it a lot. Some say bolded etc.
What did you study in school if you don't mind?

grin grin grin grin grin I studied Computing.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Partnerbiz(f): 6:31pm On May 02, 2017
4dor:

grin grin grin grin grin I studied Computing.

Okay, me get phd for whistleblowing now
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by 4dor: 6:35pm On May 02, 2017
Partnerbiz:

Okay, me get phd for whistleblowing now

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by gloriana(f): 6:53pm On May 02, 2017
holuwhagbenga:
I Started My career as a customer care agent with Etisalat (contract staff) four(4) years ago(April19-2013), with good attitude to work and no issue.Surprisingly few days ago My Appointment Got Terminated with other colleagues mine on the same date I was employed(April-19-2017-Exactly 4years) without any reason.. This is totally unacceptable..
(April-19/2013 to April-19/2017)

The Saddest Part of My story is that I got the termination letter few weeks to My Wedding Day......

So confused and I don't know what to do...
#WhatACountry
#Recession
#ProblemSharedProblemSolved
#EtisalatNigeriaMassSacking

You can Share...
4 years without a plan B? men that was a huge mistake. no employment is permanent that's y u need to really invest in something solid. BTW Swiss golden is making more people happier. invest n use ur earnings to build a solid business that will bear ur signature. if u need more info on Swiss golden let's chat privately. 08036316852
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 7:01pm On May 02, 2017
Ralphlauren:

I disagree.

These messaging aps are used in other countries yet their telecoms sector is still very vibrant.

The problem is that these companies are not innovative. They can also expand and introduce other products such as sim only deals inclusive of minutes and data, etc.

In the UK, we have SKY. A company listed on the stock exchange. They started with providing satellite TV services before expanding into landline and broadband. Just recently, they've introduced mobile phone services offering deals for mobile phone customers.

Quite fair assessment, but I don't agree that operators are not innovative in Nigeria. The real problem is, nobody can be excellent at everything, you need to focus on your strength. This is a very different market, and there are so many extant factors. The market is very fragmented and poorly regulated (you can't just jump from voice and data into TV in Nigeria), the operators are struggling to maintain a half-decent quality of service, there is zero infrastructure so you have to build everything from scratch, and we don't have a tech base in Nigeria. We import the technology to deploy telecom in Nigeria at a significant premium, unlike markets where this technology is manufactured, and the premium is not there, or at least the premium is financed long-term.

There is also the problem of capital. While operators like MTN who are successful are using capital gained from Nigeria to expand into other markets (consequence of regulatory failures in Nigeria), other largely unsuccessful operators simply can't find the capital they need to expand (Smile, Swift, Spectranet, ntel, and others).

It's easy for Sky to build a business in England. Sky is not different from DSTV. They built their DTH TV product on BT's ADSL and fiber infrastructure, and they were reselling internet capacity from BT. Now they are buying mobile capacity from various mobile operators to resell as an MVNO, just to add to the stickiness of their product. They had all the enablers in place to tap into the residential market, and they used their advantage (Content rights) to leverage their way into the broadband business.

Why do you think DSTV is not doing what Sky is doing, or pivoting like Sky? They can see the way the telecom players are operating, and they don't want to be dragged into their mess. So they just acquire the basic technology they need (KU-Band Satellite) and distribute their content to homes. They spend their energy on what they feel they can do best (produce and license content), while they keep their tech as basic and controlled as possible. Unfortunately for the wireless network operators, it's a massive technology sinkhole, a racket being controlled by various bodies controlled by the equipment vendors. I.e. if you are not profitable on 2G, you won't be profitable on 3G, and you sure as hell stand zero chance of making it with 4G.

It's as simple as that.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by nkemjacob2(m): 7:02pm On May 02, 2017
i ask....are we moving forward or backward?
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Dollabiz: 7:05pm On May 02, 2017
For real
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Ralphlauren(m): 7:24pm On May 02, 2017
AjanleKoko:

Quite fair assessment, but I don't agree that operators are not innovative in Nigeria. The real problem is, nobody can be excellent at everything, you need to focus on your strength. This is a very different market, and there are so many extant factors. The market is very fragmented and poorly regulated (you can't just jump from voice and data into TV in Nigeria), the operators are struggling to maintain a half-decent quality of service, there is zero infrastructure so you have to build everything from scratch, and we don't have a tech base in Nigeria. We import the technology to deploy telecom in Nigeria at a significant premium, unlike markets where this technology is manufactured, and the premium is not there, or at least the premium is financed long-term.

There is also the problem of capital. While operators like MTN who are successful are using capital gained from Nigeria to expand into other markets (consequence of regulatory failures in Nigeria), other largely unsuccessful operators simply can't find the capital they need to expand (Smile, Swift, Spectranet, ntel, and others).

It's easy for Sky to build a business in England. Sky is not different from DSTV. They built their DTH TV product on BT's ADSL and fiber infrastructure, and they were reselling internet capacity from BT. Now they are buying mobile capacity from various mobile operators to resell as an MVNO, just to add to the stickiness of their product. They had all the enablers in place to tap into the residential market, and they used their advantage (Content rights) to leverage their way into the broadband business.

Why do you think DSTV is not doing what Sky is doing, or pivoting like Sky? They can see the way the telecom players are operating, and they don't want to be dragged into their mess. So they just acquire the basic technology they need (KU-Band Satellite) and distribute their content to homes. They spend their energy on what they feel they can do best (produce and license content), while they keep their tech as basic and controlled as possible. Unfortunately for the wireless network operators, it's a massive technology sinkhole, a racket being controlled by various bodies controlled by the equipment vendors. I.e. if you are not profitable on 2G, you won't be profitable on 3G, and you sure as hell stand zero chance of making it with 4G.

It's as simple as that.

Expert analysis!

Twale Sir! The telecoms guru himself. wink Respect sir!

I remember your time in the career section. You really motivated and inspired many. wink

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by olagbemi118(m): 8:08pm On May 02, 2017
bootylady101:
I feel your pain tho but

when you got the job, we no hear and when you were flexing ,with knowledge of internal vacancies we no hear, now sack don come you create thread, what will you ve us do now,

bashing is welcome o
u make sense die..
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Nukilia: 8:18pm On May 02, 2017
majekdom2:
exactly!!! Technology is changing many things. Many banks will be sacking too because of "digital banking" i.e alat.ng. Eco has started.

Smart response!

Imagine what advanced AI will do to Nigeria grin

What do you think will happen if a new technology is developed for household power generation without the use of petrol? Slow death of the power coy

What will happen if Tesla type of cars flood the Nigeria market? Slow death of oil sector

Nigeria will still suffer more job losses until we start investing in science and technology.

2 Likes

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by labakeJ(f): 8:19pm On May 02, 2017
wintersnow:

Why's your hair scattered now, you know I don't like seeing your hair like this naw
Lol was goofing around tongue
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by mikolo80: 8:24pm On May 02, 2017
holuwhagbenga:
I Started My career as a customer care agent with Etisalat (contract staff) four(4) years ago(April19-2013), with good attitude to work and no issue.Surprisingly few days ago My Appointment Got Terminated with other colleagues mine on the same date I was employed(April-19-2017-Exactly 4years) without any reason.. This is totally unacceptable..

The Saddest Part of My story is that I got the termination letter few weeks to My Wedding Day......

#WhatACountry
#Recession

You can Share...
you better enter farm bfor savings (if you have any) finish
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by bizhop01: 8:39pm On May 02, 2017
[quote author=bootylady101 post=56129329]I feel your pain tho but

bashing is welcome o

CLAP FOR YOUR SELF
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by ZandaBright: 8:42pm On May 02, 2017
When it happens this way,it seems that is the end of the road but God makes way where there is no way...Sorry!

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by nely4me(m): 8:54pm On May 02, 2017
thats very true, he was offered appointment by ETISALAT MULTIPURPOSE COOPERATIVE, which ETISALAT NIGERIA LIMITED, out sourced the JOB TO
thegreengooner:
I am sorry but I don't think I see any employment letter from Etisalat...legally Etisalat did not sack you.

I pray you get a new and better job soon.

God bless

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by 4dor: 9:20pm On May 02, 2017
majekdom2:
exactly!!! Technology is changing many things. Many banks will be sacking too because of "digital banking" i.e alat.ng. Eco has started.

Alat is a perfect example the storm that will soon sweep the banking industry.

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by eRex(m): 9:22pm On May 02, 2017
holuwhagbenga:

#WhatACountry
#Recession

You can Share...

I joined the same company January 2013.// every year there is a retrenchment by April and June.
Targets are always firstly contract staffs that were turned to permanent staffs(increased pay) 2nd set in June was generally those with Low KPI performance score, issues with HR.
God helped me find my way last year(got another job that currently pays me times 2 of what they pay. plus I was already planning to get married then and I couldnt risk the tension of April and June rethrencemnt.
Guy... They have given u a better opportunity to get a better job.
Most of the agent are beclouded with free monthly airtime and data(which cost the company practically nothing) and free staff bus..you will never know what u are missing still u step out.

I still thank EMCS for the opportunity given but if you are still in CC for 3 years, make alternative plans, its inevitable.

3 Likes

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by naturefellow(m): 10:06pm On May 02, 2017
smartty68:
Hmmm! MTN sacked about 280 staffs some hours ago and now Etisalat just joined the sacking-trend cry

Sorry Bro

Recession is affecting everything - what's really bad about this is that the sack wasn't officially announced - an impromptu sack
O' boy! sad
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by naturefellow(m): 10:08pm On May 02, 2017
sunbilor:
I know 2 people affected by the sack. This recession is biting harder.
boring harder when the news says we'll be out of it by June. It's paradoxical!
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by chiraqDemon(m): 10:22pm On May 02, 2017
smartty68:
Hmmm! MTN sacked about 280 staffs some hours ago and now Etisalat just joined the sacking-trend cry

Sorry Bro

Recession is affecting everything - what's really bad about this is that the sack wasn't officially announced - an impromptu
Would it be possible to sue and win the case?
I personally think so but i need to hear it from legal practitioners
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by DavidEsq(m): 10:26pm On May 02, 2017
4dor:

The origin of telecoms was basically voice then later texts and these companies enjoyed a lot of monopoly but the advent of mobile internet and smart phones especially especially Android and Iphone has enabled a different breed of giants.

Now ask yourself when was the last time you sent an sms? How many whatsapp messages have you sent this week? Was it like this 10 years ago? I called my mum on sunday after speaking to her for some few minutes I dropped, she then called back on whatsapp basically because she has a lot to say and "didn't want to waste credit". Now that's less revenue for a telecoms company, you will say but they are selling data now. Unfortunately most of this apps have been built with crazy compression algorithms that they use less data. So these telecoms companies have to pivot: find other creative ways to generate funds. MTN is currently doing that.
Tnx bro. U da best. I just love NL

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by DavidEsq(m): 10:37pm On May 02, 2017
chiraqDemon:

Would it be possible to sue and win the case?
I personally think so but i need to hear it from legal practitioners
Sue a win? Firstly, their employment ain protected by statute, rather, it's protected by the contract of employment, as dictated by the letter of employment. Now basically if the employer has breached the terms of employment, in disengaging the employee, the employee in this context cannot sue and get a reinstatement, he can only get damages for breach of the procedure for disengagement. So Etisalat employees shld look into their letters of engagement /employment, to make a decision.

1 Like

Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Tinyemeka(m): 10:37pm On May 02, 2017
holuwhagbenga:

#WhatACountry
#Recession

You can Share...

Share to achieve what purpose?

Blame Asiwaju BAT and PMB.

While BAT reaps huge commissions from Remita et al as his returns from his polital gamble/investments, the gullible masses are left to pick their battered selves from the catastrophes left in his wake.

I knew this was coming when I read early last month that a consortium of banks had initiated moves to takeover the management of EMTS, over the latter's inability to meet repayment obligations in a USD-denominated syndicated loan facility. I got really afraid for the future of Etisalat and its employees. MTN devised its disingenuous method of repatriating FX, Glo is local. Airtel is also at risk. As long as the FX availability crisis persists, more sacks'll be on the way. Hard truth.

I guess you voted for change over transformation?

Bashers are highly welcome.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by ikemesit4477: 10:45pm On May 02, 2017
holuwhagbenga:

#WhatACountry
#Recession

You can Share...
I thought lie Muhammad said Nigeria is out of recession!
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by oyetpel(m): 12:05am On May 03, 2017
So @op, but some people are praying in a church for work, and i think their prayers have been answered, but at the cost of yours?

U chop for 4 years, make other chop for 4 years too.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by mecussey(m): 8:04am On May 03, 2017
lereinter:

every finish line is a begining of another race
lil wayne

also

every job is a part time....

ûntil Nigerians understand this...they will continue to be disappointed. The way pple rejoice when they get a new job wows me, some even starts sharing testimony on Nairaland. Whoever gets a new job has just been jailed, just stay inside jail plan for your own life like OBJ did then after the jail term, rejoice. How this my man wan take cater for him family now...?
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Mckayzee(m): 8:17am On May 03, 2017
Electronzeez:

Well ,you might be right .

But have you consider nigeria voice telcos company burying data company like ipnx ,swift ,spectranet with their 4G advertisement .

did you even know most of those companies you mentioned still get their internet services from main stream telcos company,they are subscribed to them for the services they provide too, so they are not even fit to bury them... Mainone , vodacom, VDT, Swift, spectranet, and others..
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Electronzeez(m): 8:23am On May 03, 2017
Mckayzee:

did you even know most of those companies you mentioned still get their internet services from main stream telcos company,they are subscribed to them for the services they provide too, so they are not even fit to bury them... Mainone , vodacom, VDT, Swift, spectranet, and others..

You mind explaining this better to me . I really don't know .
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by Longman6(m): 1:18pm On May 03, 2017
AjanleKoko:

This is sound!
It's as simple as that.
Re: Mass Sack By Etisalat Nigeria by sunbilor(m): 3:16pm On May 03, 2017
4dor:

It's not recession rather it's a disruption, instant messaging apps with call and video options are gradually burying the telecoms industry. Why do you think MTN is pivoting?

You know the funny thing about this post my brother? You said you disagree but went ahead to same the same thing as me. Remember my post you quoted said "Why do you think MTN is pivoting"? The emboldened is what we call pivoting in tech so you actually agree with me you just explained it better in layman's terms.
Are they running at at a loss after raking in a profit of about 1Billion USD?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM / Man Collapsed After His Salary Was Slashed From N18,000 To N5,000 In Kebbi / Engineers: Improving Engineering (today's Government) with job opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.