Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

London Is Not The Paradise I Expected - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Is Not The Paradise I Expected (22265 Views)

London Is The World's Most Popular Capital - Again / Igboland The Emerging Paradise Of Africa / Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Sweetmina(f): 5:48pm On Jan 29, 2007
To babyfayce - i hope u're beginning to enjoy london now. I agree with most people who said its not the greatest place to be, but try dining out. I don't know if its just me and the people i know but nigerians dont seem to be interested in other foods apart from theirs and maybe chinese. it might be expensive, but at least its an experience and it gives u a sense of service and stuff like that that u dont get either at all or not in a lot of places in nigeria.

To TexazzPete- dont know the last time u came to the UK but please, london underground is an insult. there's nothing efficient about it. Its too crowded, smelly, dirty, except maybe for the jubilee line. And dont even let me get started on the surface trains,
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by TerraCotta(m): 6:17pm On Jan 29, 2007
Naijas never cease to amaze me--this is the first time I've ever heard people describing London as "overrated". If you're not enjoying the city and you haven't found anything to photograph/visit, that says more about the quality of people and places you've visited than London itself. For those talking about New York/San Francisco etc.--much as I love those other places, people jet out to London from them as often as they can. There's so much to do that doesn't necessarily cost you much--you can go to most of the museums for free, if that's your thing.

Driving in London's not all that crucial--Ken Livingstone's surcharge on cars driving through the city during the day means that a lot of people just leave their cars at home and take public transportation (which is exactly what it was intended to do).

Sweetmina--If you think the tube's dirty, you'd probably retch at the sight of New York's subway system. I don't recall seeing too many overfed rats wandering up and down the tracks of the Victoria line. Well, maybe one or two, but nothing like New York's mutants cheesy. And at least you know when the next train's supposed to come. You lot have it easy, jo. I miss it--sometimes, anyway.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2007
Sweetmina:

To TexazzPete- don't know the last time u came to the UK but please, london underground is an insult. there's nothing efficient about it. Its too crowded, smelly, dirty, except maybe for the jubilee line. And don't even let me get started on the surface trains,

What about Abuja or Lagos underground? Learn to appreciate what others have done and stop being an egomaniac! At least the Brits built an efficient rail system and do not discriminate between Brits and immigrants like you. When Brits come to Abuja, what underground system or efficient road transport system can they use? Even the air is populated with air molues!

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by londoner: 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2007
Ok I don't understand, If Nigerians come to London,but don't want to be tourists what exactly do they come to see, other Nigerians? Nigerian restaurants? Nigerian music?, Then why leave Nigeria?

All you need to do is get a one day, or weekly travel card, go to knightsbridge, Oxford street, the numerous free museums and art houses. If you want to see the nicer side, go to zone one.
Its like me going to Agegunle and saying "man, Lagos is dirty and overrated". It seems to me that if you're going to spend the money and time to fly half way across the world, you should make the trip worthwhile.

Take a look at the timeout website, there are TONS of things to do in London.
http://www.timeout.com/london/
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ikamefa(f): 9:37pm On Jan 29, 2007
TerraCotta:

Naijas never cease to amaze me--this is the first time I've ever heard people describing London as "overrated". If you're not enjoying the city and you haven't found anything to photograph/visit, that says more about the quality of people and places you've visited than London itself. For those talking about New York/San Francisco etc.--much as I love those other places, people jet out to London from them as often as they can. There's so much to do that doesn't necessarily cost you much--you can go to most of the museums for free, if that's your thing.

Driving in London's not all that crucial--Ken Livingstone's surcharge on cars driving through the city during the day means that a lot of people just leave their cars at home and take public transportation (which is exactly what it was intended to do).

Sweetmina--If you think the tube's dirty, you'd probably retch at the sight of New York's subway system. I don't recall seeing too many overfed rats wandering up and down the tracks of the Victoria line. Well, maybe one or two, but nothing like New York's mutants cheesy. And at least you know when the next train's supposed to come. You lot have it easy, jo. I miss it--sometimes, anyway.

Terracotta i will have you know that its those mutants rats , the crazies,the funk , battery peddlers, panhandlers,homeless people and sometimes Roaches that makes the NYC subway more interesting!   grin grin grin  could not help but laugh at that part of your post cheesy
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Honeypot1(m): 9:48pm On Jan 29, 2007
@Terracotta, u just stole the words out of my mouth

babyfayce:

I Just Came To London I'm Miserable Help
i just came to london from nigeria to visit but this place is really not up to my expectations, i know it doesn't matter but when my cousins cam back from london they wear the coolest stuff ever and they rap instead of talking so i taught hmm i must get here sometimes when i have chance but when i came i couldn't beleive my eyes, the houses are red, the cars are not it the people i stay with don't have a car while they have 2 in naija,

babyfayce, your case is that of a misplaced expectation. What did u expect to see? Gold-plated roads and flower-strewn pathways? Why would anyone have problems with red (bricks) houses? Yes, some UK residential buildings (which are designed to suit their weather/small-landmass) are not as strong as those in naija, yet cases of collapsed buildings are almost nonexistent.

The cars are varied too, big and small (sometimes in the majority), depending on where u are. But what do u expect? US type of cars on UK small roads? And tell me why your cousins should have a car in london if there is no need for that and when there is an efficient transport system. Unlike the US, the british system discourages owning a car. The MD of my company comes to work through london underground, some professors even cycle to school, others walk to work if they live close to their offices. If u know what it will cost your cousins using/maintaining a car per annum, u will appreciate their wisdom.

babyfayce:

everybody is stressed out and tired, there is no money anywhere and i'm bored but the story i've heared is too good to be this is there something i don't get, i brought camera to take interesting photo to show my friends but there is nothing attracting, i just found this site to erase boredom, can someone give me ideas of things i could do till i go home i still have about 3 weeks left. on plus side i know how to deal with my family that demo for us in lagos and those yankee guys dressed like 50cent
anyway, someone please tell me what to do to have fun i'm so booooooooored i'm waiting

This is a big joke!! How can u say there are no attractions in London. I'm not even sure u are in london, maybe your cousins are living in one nearby suburb and u take that for london. If u visit Agege, Ajegule, Mushin, Sango-Agbado-Ijaiye, will u say u visited lagos? Or if u spend some days in gwagwalada, chika, karmo, will u claim to have set your eyes on Abuja? And i bet u, your camera will be redundant in such places.

Why won't everybody be stressed out? People work here to survive, there is no free lunch in London!!! Why are u complaining that there is no money anywhere? Are u not on holiday? Did u really think someone will be doling out cash to u or expect u will be able to work for those 3 weeks and probably go back to naija with thousands of pounds?

From all u've said, i can see u have never left your host's house for a day. remember that london transport is very expensive, so u need enough money before u can go sight-seeing and i tell u, u will be spoilt for choice. Tell your cousins to take u to central london (zone 1), there is tourist guide to all the hot spots in london at the underground stations.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by TerraCotta(m): 10:13pm On Jan 29, 2007
ikamefa:

Terracotta i will have you know that its those mutants rats , the crazies, battery peddlers, panhandlers,homeless people and sometimes Roaches that makes the NYC subway more interesting! grin grin grin could not help but laugh at that part of your post cheesy

It just cracks me up when out-of-towners comment on how big they are. They don't even allow panhandlers/buskers in the London Tube without a license (license ke!) and this Sweetmina is yarning! They don't know how easy they have it there, I swear. cheesy When the Koreans and the Mexicans get tired of hawking batteries, the Puerto Rican guy starts telling you his sob story about his burnt-down apartment, or the Chinese start pitching bootleg DVDs. I wouldn't have them any other way though cheesy

londoner:

All you need to do is get a one day, or weekly travel card, go to knightsbridge, Oxford street, the numerous free museums and art houses. If you want to see the nicer side, go to zone one.
Its like me going to Agegunle and saying "man, Lagos is dirty and overrated". It seems to me that if you're going to spend the money and time to fly half way across the world, you should make the trip worthwhile.

So right. If you only have eyes for familiar Naija culture, the British Museum's got incredible Nigerian art from Ife, Benin, Kano, Igbo-Ukwu etc. in their Sainsbury galleries--stuff you'd find it hard to see in Naija itself. Even if you only want to chop Naija style, there's restaurants like 805 with their "Monica" fish that will make you feel like you're back at an upscale version of the razzest buka in Surulere grin. And that's just the Naija-related activities. The poster's doing his/herself a huge disservice by thinking that s/he can't find anything to do in London for three weeks. I find it hard to believe--as Londoner pointed out, Time Out should be a constant companion for the rest of the trip.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ikamefa(f): 10:19pm On Jan 29, 2007
TerraCotta:

It just cracks me up when out-of-towners comment on how big they are. They don't even allow panhandlers/buskers in the London Tube without a license (license ke!) and this Sweetmina is yarning! They don't know how easy they have it there, I swear. cheesy When the Koreans and the Mexicans get tired of hawking batteries, the Puerto Rican guy starts telling you his sob story about his burnt-down apartment, or the Chinese start pitching bootleg DVDs. I wouldn't have them any other way though cheesy

Word! i wouldn't have it any other way too! grin grin oops i forgot to add the up and coming amateur musicians and circus jugglers/magicians all in this race for the mighty dollar grin LMAO grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 10:26pm On Jan 29, 2007
@honey pot,
You make perfect sense. how many times have we warned our brethren at home that the streets of London are not paved with Gold. the poster is suffering from overrated expectations syndrome- a disease that is common among Nigerians coming to London for the first time. Its just a city like Abuja but with a more organised government than Nigeria's.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by TerraCotta(m): 10:35pm On Jan 29, 2007
Honey_pot:

I'm not even sure u are in london, maybe your cousins are living in one nearby suburb and u take that for london. If u visit Agege, Ajegule, Mushin, Sango-Agbado-Ijaiye, will u say u visited lagos? Or if u spend some days in gwagwalada, chika, karmo, will u claim to have set your eyes on Abuja? And i bet u, your camera will be redundant in such places.

Maybe this is the main problem. Babyfayce--it would be helpful if you mentioned where exactly you are in "London"?

ikamefa:

Word! i wouldn't have it any other way too! grin grin oops i forgot to add the up and coming amateur musicians and circus jugglers/magicians all in this race for the mighty dollar grin LMAO grin

Subway break-dancers, salsa-dancers, pots-and-pans drummers, jazz trumpeters--the works cheesy. I bet this poster Babyfayce would get enough entertainment to last six months just from riding the A train around town a few times. cheesy
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 10:40pm On Jan 29, 2007
@terracota,
he/she is in peckham, how would anyone expect to have fun staying at home all day at the over-populated council flats of Peckham and Brixton
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by desiree(f): 11:45pm On Jan 29, 2007
Whatever did you expect from London in the first place?? C'mon darling wake up from your slumber, you've been watching too much movies, London is not  precisely heaven on earth. Your cousins are probably tired because they work to pay their bills and would not throw money around because they know the value of a pound.

Pechkam is not exactly the $hit either. sad
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by TerraCotta(m): 11:50pm On Jan 29, 2007
walelead:

@terracota,
he/she is in peckham.

Ah--missed that. Not that there's anything wrong with Peckham--she might want to get out a bit more though.

Peckham's not Hyde Park or something, but people do live there. It's just not the only place to be if you're in London.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by desiree(f): 11:55pm On Jan 29, 2007
TerraCotta:

Ah--missed that. Not that there's anything wrong with Peckham--she might want to get out a bit more though.

Peckham's not Hyde Park or something, but people do live there. It's just not the only place to be if you're in London.

I know people live in peckham(I wouldn't) but It's doesn't always give the best first impression to visitors.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by 4Play(m): 12:04am On Jan 30, 2007
Maybe people come expecting Pound Sterling to be dropping out of the sky.

Another problem some Nigerians may have is if they come to London and don't have enough money to go out and enjoy themselves or their hosts may not have either the time or money to take them out

In some ways the UK is a disappointment.I had the misfortune to use the Tube in my first journey here during rush hour and I could barely breathe in the train as it was jampacked.To make matters worse,someone picked my pockets angry.All my life in Nigeria,I have never been pickpocketed.I was complacent because I thought I was in a crime free zone  

Houses here are very small.They remind me of our Boys Quarters in Nigeria.I sometimes look in disbelief at the size of our house wondering whether our neighbours stole part of it.By the way I won't recognise my neighbours if I saw them

i don't know how u guys see this but how many times do I have to come across someone with horrible teeth.What's the matter?the 4th biggest economy in the world and they can't even fix their teeth

Why is everyone spitting on the floor?U walk the streets and u can't help but notice the disgusting sight of heavily concentrated phlegm

Overall though,it is a fantastic place.It is gradually taking over from NY as the world's leading financial centre and I would rather be here than anywhereelse.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 12:15am On Jan 30, 2007
@4play,
Bros, ur jokes gat me rollin on the floor,lol
so they no pickpocket u for naija, na oyibo come take u mugu grin

Anyway, how far with my job for Goldman, i still dey wait grin, are u gonna make the Ghana vs Nigeria thingy? Greet Madame for me (u know who)
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by 4Play(m): 12:24am On Jan 30, 2007
@Walelead

Your job for Goldman dey come.I have talked to the CEO of Goldman Nwankwo & Sons Ltd,Aba,Abia State

I no go come the match,I dey hide from Home Office.I hear say they wan raid the match capture some people
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 12:28am On Jan 30, 2007
Make them come, i go declare myself illegal so i will catch a free flight home grin

Ill have my passport posted to me when i get home

And bros, No be Goldman Nwankwo we talk about oh, Na Goldman Sach
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Honeypot1(m): 12:32am On Jan 30, 2007
Lol @ Walelead and 4play

There is strict exit immigration control now, the posting runs no dey work again o grin grin grin Come to the think of it, raiding the match venue will earn some score for the embattled John Reid grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by 4Play(m): 12:43am On Jan 30, 2007
@HoneyPot

If the posting runs no work,I go take my usual route aboard a container ship.Nobody go stop from entering this country,not even John Reid.

Why is everyone dissing Peckham?Like as if they live in Belgravia or something

I have never been to the place yet.I heard that I can get an Okada from there

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by tlops(m): 12:47am On Jan 30, 2007
well babyface u know this popular saying ¨aajo o da bi le¨ abroad is not the same as naija.Every Nigerian outside is out there to make money so they can come home to invest, its not unusual to find people who livedd abroad who has two,three cars in naija not havin one where they reside. what you should know is that all this Oyinbo people no get any source of income except tax. that is why its hard to buy and use cars abroad if you are hustling with sense.but you still find some guys who use cars there oh,but everybody with his plan.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 1:01am On Jan 30, 2007
Next time you want to travel and enjoy yourself, visit TORONTO. All these other cities are overcrowded, stink, expensive and flat out overrated.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 1:07am On Jan 30, 2007
Toronto ko, okadigbo ni

If u visit Belgravia,knightsbridge and kensington(where i live) in London, U'll neva go back to Nigeria (i wish i lived in Belgravia or Kensington grin)
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by 4Play(m): 1:17am On Jan 30, 2007
I go like visit Baghdad.

I heard that they have some fantastic real estate opportunities that can be exploited
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by kitaun(m): 1:21am On Jan 30, 2007
@4play and Walelead, una don come here again with this ghana-scum thingy, hope we dont lose the way u guys r going about it, lol
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by venusmaze: 2:06am On Jan 30, 2007
@poster
sorry you not enjoying London. How old are you?  living in peckham does not mean you can't experience London. When people say ''London'' i wonder how many people living in this fantastic city take the time out of their comfort zones(peckham/brixton) to see the real city. It is one of the most vibrant places to visit. I had a Canadian colleague who came for a visit loved it so much and stayed.

One advice for you, try to meet people, don't look down on the things you not used to, if it means going to the city for a good night out. Try the Atlantic bar and club(personal recommendation).

Get TIMEOUT magazine and check out club guides, shows( comedy store is a great place in town), concerts, try to experience at least one British culture monthly, whether it's trying out a westend show, or going to ealing studios for live comedy shows(only £7.50 drinks are cheap , atmosphere is cracking) London is not just your ''peckhams''go to the heart of the city. These things are not a ''white thing'' to do, that is what limits many Africans here. experience what many young and classy people do for fun, not just the black experience, trust me you will have fun. By the time you meet really smart and outgoing people you will love it. Yes as a whole it is crowded here, but where isn't yeah so what if the houses are small? when i was in university i partied out of a shoebox, just have fun.  Bottomline do the things you have not done before(not crime pls) and there is plenty to enjoy. Dont hang around your old aunties  (guaranteed -fun -killer) check your relatives with  nice circle of friends and make friends with other races wink if money is an issue . get a job asap and have some fun
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 2:43am On Jan 30, 2007
@venus, i agree wit ya
@babyface, hit da club gurl, dance all da brothas wink, go out there and have funn!!, dont expect fun 2 come meet ya home
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:51am On Jan 30, 2007
How do you have fun in the armpit of America?. . .Haha! grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 2:56am On Jan 30, 2007
hahaha, so funny angryya wanna come over so i could show ya smiley
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by comechop(m): 3:00am On Jan 30, 2007
" , YOUR COUSINS RAPPING INSTEAD OF TALKING"
haha thats hilarious. You cant beat that. Nigerians sha o, we dey form nonsense,
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:13am On Jan 30, 2007
comechop:

" , YOUR COUSINS RAPPING INSTEAD OF TALKING"

Are you saying that isnt a good enough reason to leave Nigeria for England? cheesy
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by TerraCotta(m): 3:21am On Jan 30, 2007
What's a good reason for leaving New York for London?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mob Attacks Nigerian In Hyderabad India / First Nation Airlines Suspends Operations / Boeing To Lay Off Staff After $641M First-Quarter Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.