Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,110 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

London Is Not The Paradise I Expected - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Is Not The Paradise I Expected (22266 Views)

London Is The World's Most Popular Capital - Again / Igboland The Emerging Paradise Of Africa / Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 3:27am On Jan 30, 2007
jerseygurl:

Haha, so funny angryya want to come over so i could show ya smiley

Yeah ofcourse, why not? cool . . .I'll have my gas mask on though. wink
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:46am On Jan 30, 2007
TerraCotta:

What's a good reason for leaving New York for London?

abundance of Naija hos.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 3:52am On Jan 30, 2007
bla,bla,bla wateva tongue
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 3:54am On Jan 30, 2007
What took you to Jersey or were you born there?. . .Stories I've heard from the place isn't good at all in terms of quality with the exception of the suburbs ofcourse.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 8:44am On Jan 30, 2007
Hey^^^^^ cry cry
At least some people agree with me about London being crap undecided
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by uchetobi(f): 10:02am On Jan 30, 2007
;d
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 10:17am On Jan 30, 2007
dblock:

Hey^^^^^ cry cry
At least some people agree with me about London being crap undecided
Who says London is crap, all ur aussie/kiwi brethren in clapham cannot get enuf of this vibrant city
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Maneater1(f): 11:18am On Jan 30, 2007
First of all who goes to london for a visit at winter?? thats the no 1 NONO.

the first time i went to londion some yrs ago for holiday i bought a three month ticket and regretted it bitterly.

The weather even during summer is crap not to talk of winter, the buildings are boring, the only thing you really have is cable.

but you can go to theme parks like alton towers and the movies and sight seeing,
ehr that s about all you can do.

if you were there at summer you could do some shopping. sorry take heart. undecided
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by londoner: 11:30am On Jan 30, 2007
Donzman, if ever a city was overrated its Toronto, lol

If people are talking about small houses its probably because the people who theyt are visiting are not the "high earners" of London, in London you pay for spacious houses.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Sweetmina(f): 12:07pm On Jan 30, 2007
What about Abuja or Lagos underground? Learn to appreciate what others have done and stop being an egomaniac! At least the Brits built an efficient rail system and do not discriminate between Brits and immigrants like you. When Brits come to Abuja, what underground system or efficient road transport system can they use? Even the air is populated with air molues!

My response to davidylan - i noticed u don't live in nigeria urself, so if u know anything about economies, u should know this - u pay for what u see and what u expect. If u visit lagos or abuja, u're NOT expecting any form of an underground system so u pay REASONABLE prices for overground transport. London has the most expensive and one of the worst transport system in the EU so yes, i will moan at the crappy service i receive because i'm PAYING for it and in POUNDS not NAIRA.

Hope that makes sense, and i wont take offence you for calling me an egomaniac. wink
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 12:12pm On Jan 30, 2007
i totally agree with sweetnina, Londoners are paying for more than they get as regards transportation. Tube fares increase by at least 20% evey 2nd of January and yet we are packed in the carriages like sardines. The buses never come especially in the frrezing winter. And Livingstone has done all he can to make sure we can't drive cars.

And by the way, Moaning is an age-long British culture, we can't but moan about the weather, traffic grin grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by londoner: 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2007
Transport, housing , general living costs in London are far too high, you do feel as though you're being ripped off all the time.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 12:26pm On Jan 30, 2007
londoner:

Transport, housing , general living costs in London are far too high, you do feel as though you're being ripped off all the time.
Actually, you are being ripped off all the time, the only solution seems to be "to rip other people off". Its a jungle out here, survival is for the fittest.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by deathadder(m): 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2007
I can't believe you lot all winging about London! the one who is 'stuck' for the next three weeks needs to seriously sort out his negative outlook!

Get on the bloody tube and go somewhere, OK you're in peckham, but its not prison! you ain't confined there!

Go take a look around SOHO in the west end! really interesting! Go shopping on Oxford street!

Go take a walk near the Thames in putney or fulham!

Listen I'm not a tour rep so work it out for your self and stop seeing the glass half empty! angry

sh1t attitude!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Eastcoast(f): 12:43pm On Jan 30, 2007
eya, i do feel pity for the original poster. Girl i think what you don't know is "THERE IS LONDON & THERE IS LONDON". the same can be said for almost anywhere in the world. Even in this America. There are parts that are more dangerous than lagos. So don't feel dissappointed. I know you already know that by now afterall, you are attending AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN YOLA. Girl, you tell me, how many people in naija can afford that skool? That tells me you are from a well of family if i'm not mistaken and i'm sure you know of all the poverty in naija yet your parents can afford to burn all those dough only on your education. That is the way it is in London and even America. There are the nice places and the bad places. I guess you just happened to land in the Ghetto. My advice to you is that you do some research, get on a train and go see the tourist attractions over there. Visit STONE HENGE, Big BEn, ETC and take pics there. Have fun honey!

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Eastcoast(f): 12:45pm On Jan 30, 2007
1 more thing. Girl itz like you've been waiting for the fun to come to you. You know what they say: if it ain't coming to you, then you go to it. So pick up your butt and walk to the fun. undecided. Besides London is not one spiritual heaven, where as soon as you land, everything comes to you. I guess that is the greatest difference btw home and abroad. You must work to get all you want. So girl, start working.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Eastcoast(f): 12:51pm On Jan 30, 2007
GIRl, another part of me is really happy that you got to experience what life should really be. YOU shouldn't just have all the services come to you. People should not just be drowning like all our leaders in excess cash. Rather, you should work, get paid for only the work you did. Thatz why when most people are returning home, they have to dress like 50cent becoz they know how hard they have worked
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 12:55pm On Jan 30, 2007
stone henge, Big ben only white people do that kind of thing, Darling, by the time you return to Nigeria, You'd have become white

Instead, go for DJ abbass rave at Club Meantime, Boord street, Greenwich

enjoy Nkwobi and palwine at a secret location (see me for details)

Eat suya at Obalende (I prefer the one at Dalston)

Enjoy designer rice at Cuisine A'la Leke

Rave with DJ steve (the sleek) Kadiri at Goddis club, New cross

Board a free ferry at Woolich Ferry

Go to Docklands and Just LOOK for free (The dome,Thames barrier, all those fine buildings)

Visit University of east London (Docklands campus) Ill take you on a tour of the school for a fee
or also rave with Nigerians at Club Ntyce, wellington street, woolwich

or just sit by the sea side at Erebus drive, Thamesmead and you would have enjoyed your holidays
need more fun activities, Pay for London consultations first grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Vieira(m): 2:22pm On Jan 30, 2007
babyface,

There are things to do and visit in London, if you have the right hookup.

Remember the people you are visiting are probably too busy working to have time to show you the right places.

They also might not even know them.

80% of Nigerians in London only do Naija things, becuase they do not like expanding thier world view.

If you come from Naija to London I don't know why people are asking to go to Niaja joints and Naija raves

You need to do the tourist thing.

Do the westend

Do the museums

Do rides

Go out of london

But all of this will cost and you'll need someone with time on his hand to show you around.

The westend you can go there and spend all day and still have stuff to do.

What made me laugh was the comment of your cousins showing off when they come to naija. you are wondering how they can afford it.

Simple: People save up for Holidays!!

No one lives the same way on Holiday the rest of the year now.

Even Oyinbo will save up for a lavish holiday and then come back and start scraping money together for the next one.

So what your cousins do is the norm all around the world.

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babyfayce: 2:31pm On Jan 30, 2007
ok, thanks everyone i'll use all those ideas. the main problem is that everyone in the house have to do something, even the 16 year old when she come from school she goes to work? when she's back 4rm work it's on MSN, i went to cinema i bought ticket but i ran away because everybody brought someone to see the movies but i was alone. i think i just came to learn lesson here i'll never forget, the family said we'll all go to see the movie on saturday evening, i'm 17 years old they said i can't go to clubs, you know back in nigeria if visitors come i'd take them to my friends house, watch movies in our room till eyes square, talk about boys in school, gist about everything that happened in the girls hostel and stuff that was what i'm used to during holidays. but enough complainig i'm still ok thanks. [color=#990000][/color]
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 2:37pm On Jan 30, 2007
@babyface,
Thats the spirit, youre surviving London already, a few more weeks and you'll be used to busy, crazy lifestyle

Now you know they are tonnes of things to do, but no time not even money to do it.

Dont be sacred of doing things on your own, This is London. All those people u see at the movies today, ull probably never see them again forever and even if u do, they dont know you.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Vieira(m): 2:39pm On Jan 30, 2007
grin grin grin
You can go to the cinema alone o! It is allowed.

People do it a lot.

You might feel better watching an afternoon show.

People being busy is ur main problem.

It is always good to plan your trip with when they are on leave or something.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babyfayce: 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2007
@viera you are right i should plan my trip, if i should come again it will be the summer time (but i won't come again)i've been watching this show called my wife and kids and spongeboy squrepant it's really funny, i'll stay positive and i'll love it here before i go.[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by waleleader(m): 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2007
@babyface, you will come back again grin, thats what every one says until they return to Nigeria and Nepa show them pepper, At least you have electricity to watch TV and Hang out on Nairaland
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by uchetobi(f): 3:00pm On Jan 30, 2007
Vieira:

babyface,

There are things to do and visit in London, if you have the right hookup.

Remember the people you are visiting are probably too busy working to have time to show you the right places.

They also might not even know them.

80% of Nigerians in London only do Naija things, becuase they do not like expanding their world view.

If you come from Naija to London I don't know why people are asking to go to Niaja joints and Naija raves

You need to do the tourist thing.

Do the westend

Do the museums

Do rides

Go out of london

But all of this will cost and you'll need someone with time on his hand to show you around.

The westend you can go there and spend all day and still have stuff to do.

What made me laugh was the comment of your cousins showing off when they come to naija. you are wondering how they can afford it.

Simple: People save up for Holidays!!

No one lives the same way on Holiday the rest of the year now.

Even Oyinbo will save up for a lavish holiday and then come back and start scraping money together for the next one.

So what your cousins do is the norm all around the world.

well said
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babaegun(m): 4:35pm On Jan 30, 2007
Well. I think I can peep in some words of advice for the London bound or would be londoners.

Food, try and ask this Asians about Kebab. That is the most popular and cheapest food you can get. You can also as for places where you can get the "Eba and Ogbono" or whatever you want to eat. But its actually expensive.

Transportation- Buy a week's worth of Tube (underground train) Ticket. Check out the zones oooo. No sit inside train pass your zones oooo. Before London police will think you are trying to be smart.

Amusement - Well, there are lots of places to visit. Buckingham palace, Downing Street etc but everything is money. Take the tour bus - which is about 18 pounds. The bus will take you round the town to interesting places where you can snap pictures and see things.

Try and enjoy your stay over there.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Hotstepper(f): 4:49pm On Jan 30, 2007
My dear, it is a pity that everyone is busy doing something or the other cuz they have to pay some bills but hey, the gurl should have spend sometime with you than being on MSN but that is what saves burden for some people and also depends on how close you are to the person.

So as others have suggested, dont be afraid to go and see movies by urself. It is done everyday cuz everybody's timetable aint the same so you have to make use of the time you have before you head back to naija. Dont know if you have friends you know from naija around there or something. You can also log on to all these messenger and talk to friends if it gets so bad.

Hopefully, by the time you come back again, you will probably be 18 and of age to go to clubs and maybe reconsider coming in WINTER cuz people like me are lazy about going out in this session. Summer or perhaphs Spring would be much better, hope you enjoy the rest of your stay
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by deejay1(m): 5:57pm On Jan 30, 2007
ee i remember those day dat i usually tink london is lk heaven but now i know its real halg heaven half hell if y'all get wat i mean everytin changes lk there weather i remember those day lk 2yrs ago dat i usually live in YORK wat a boring city but now am happy lliving in essex. wat am i say u shuld be 2 least happy stay in peckham baby coz u meet loads of pple lk u there. i know its not lk lagos thou but u just dont have 2 tink abt it. just enjoy yourself b4 u go bk home save journey back home baby.
remember as u said london is not a paradise!!!!!!!!!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 10:07pm On Jan 30, 2007
@dozman, do ya even know wat ya're talkin abt, from da way ya sound i tink ya dont know shit abt NJ, so,it will be beta 4 ya 2 be quiet instead of talkin garbage, have dis little in4mation abt NJ bro, its one of da best states in America,  cool tongue
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2007
The only thing good about the armpit is that it's unexposed to sunlight. Haha. . .How can the armpit of America be one of the best states?

Well I know they have high per capita income thanks to NJ being across the river from NY. Other than the high income suburbs and maybe Atlantic City (Never been there), the city stinks.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by tope4life(f): 10:41pm On Jan 30, 2007
yea true, london is a place of routine, but it actually depends on where u stay and those u stay wit. if d ppl u stay wit r d boring type obviously u think of d place as been as such, but if dey r d fun loving type u will definitely enjoy urself 2 d fullest.

go clubbing, check out 4 raves happening around u, go to cinema, theatre, go for walk or travel around to see places, window shopping or shopping, visit ppl etc

enjoy n dont ur thoughts destroy ur fun while it last.
wink wink wink
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 11:06pm On Jan 30, 2007
@dozman, who did ya get dis lame info abt NJ from?tell da person way u don dey hear tinx from, say e don deliver fake msg dis time ar ;Dound, NJ iz far more beta dan dat junk yard ya call canada grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mob Attacks Nigerian In Hyderabad India / First Nation Airlines Suspends Operations / Boeing To Lay Off Staff After $641M First-Quarter Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.