Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,236 members, 7,815,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

London Is Not The Paradise I Expected - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Is Not The Paradise I Expected (22267 Views)

London Is The World's Most Popular Capital - Again / Igboland The Emerging Paradise Of Africa / Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:17pm On Jan 30, 2007
jersey, why are you answering Donzie. He's just trying to join the NY wagon by saying Jersey stinks. Only WE(NYers) can say that tongue
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 11:28pm On Jan 30, 2007
yea, boo, tell am, we rock,
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Hotstepper(f): 11:29pm On Jan 30, 2007
you only talk about somewhere if yyou have been dere for people talking about toronto/canada/nj, everybody gat their own opinion so chillaz fellaz
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by bigbumper(f): 2:00am On Jan 31, 2007
@honey-pot
what planet r u on?

@walelead post 40
babyfayce was told the exact opposite i.e. that London IS paved with gold, et al, HENCE the reason for her disapointment, so how does honey-pot's wide of the mark contribution make perfect sense?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 2:05am On Jan 31, 2007
Serves you right maybe now you will preach to your fellow dreamers that Nigerians (well most of us) are working HARD to make our money so we can come home.  

London maybe boring to you but at least it has given many millions upon millions of immigrants a chance to do something with their lives and improve it,  that cant be said of our native Nigeria can it?  grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:09am On Jan 31, 2007
LadyT:

London maybe boring to you but at least it has given many millions upon millions of immigrants a chance to do something with their lives and improve it, that can't be said of our native Nigeria can it? grin

Yeah it can be said of my native Nigeria. Millions and millions of Nigerians have made it at home so I don't know why you put London on a pedestal.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:10am On Jan 31, 2007
lol by CONNECTION they made it

90% of Nigerians that work in Banks read Science majors in school.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 2:14am On Jan 31, 2007
Donzman:

Yeah it can be said of my native Nigeria. Millions and millions of Nigerians have made it at home so I don't know why you put London on a pedestal.

Yes we can see how well people are doing in Nigeria, *rolls eyes*
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:17am On Jan 31, 2007
It's a country of 140 million people and you do not have to look far away to see people doing well. People DO make it in Nigeria, sucks you do not have the raw mental strength to do it but others actually do.

lol by CONNECTION they made it

90% of Nigerians that work in Banks read Science majors in school.

Just like in every other place in the world, some make it by connection, others make it by hardwork while others made it by proper planning.

Connection is a great asset no matter where you abode. It's only those who do not have it that complain when it's a fact of life.

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:19am On Jan 31, 2007
why are you in Canadia again?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 2:21am On Jan 31, 2007
LOL I know@ TOH
These people stay on bullshit 24/7 if its so great why dont you sit your arse down there and use your raw mental strength or whatever.

Dont bite the hand that feeds you. If OUR country was so great we wouldnt need to go aboard in the numbers that we nigerias do to work.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:24am On Jan 31, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

why are you in Canadia again?

Studying. . .It has nothing to do with not being able to make it in Nigeria, I need a good education which thanks to certain elements is impossible to get in Nigeria. Thank God I know someone people who have made it so I'm confident that by God's grace I'll make it. Sometimes seeing the way people act and talk, it's like you can only make it when you leave the country which is not true.

It's funny the way people abroad talk, they forget to tell the people at home how much they have to slave just to make it. They come home and act like everything is easy. When they're at home in Nigeria they refuse to work hard but when they come over here, they bust their asses working 18hrs/day and then they wonder why they never had a chance in Nigeria.

If OUR country was so great we wouldnt need to go aboard in the numbers that we nigerias do to work.

Our country isn't great, we do have GREAT people born, bred and living in the country. You can't make it there but the least you can do is appreciate those who can and do make it in the country and they're not exactly difficult to find.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 2:26am On Jan 31, 2007
Where did I say anything about the people

It is the infrastructure that has lead to people moving aboard!!!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:29am On Jan 31, 2007
but there are plenty of people getting a "great education" in Nigeria too? YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE, DONZIE

cheesy

abi all the graduates in Nigeria, are you downplaying their diplomas?

Just saying that connection is what works over there, if you dont have it. your ass is grass is all. I mean again, it's kinda pitiful how all these people read one there yet work in places that have absolutely nothing to do with their majors.

what is an accountant to do if a chemical engineer is in his place of work?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 2:33am On Jan 31, 2007
TOH what about 3 year degrees taking 7 years because of University closures. My cousin changed course several times when the univeristy closed. Now with her masters and all shes reduced to a shop owner. What a waste I say!

Yeah shes made it but how does she explain the lost years?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:35am On Jan 31, 2007
95% of the folks abroad WILL not work as hard as they're working if they were in Nigeria. It's a pity!

Nigeria does offer opportunity for success, may the most hardworking/well connected/intelligent/Nigerian savvy individuals take it. The rest well you can always go to London and work you ass off.

LadyT, don't worry I'll visit your clinic once in a while. cheesy

but there are plenty of people getting a "great education" in Nigeria too? YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE, DONZIE

No there are not. I have a friend who was in 3rd year medicine before coming over here, guy doesn't know sh!t. How do you get to year 3 in a university and you do not know simply calculus no matter the course?

Just saying that connection is what works over there, if you don't have it. your ass is grass is all. I mean again, it's kind of pitiful how all these people read one there yet work in places that have absolutely nothing to do with their majors.

Connection is why George W. Bush is president today but again he's not the only one whose dad was a President. He must have been fairly determined to get that job given his connection, same applies to everyone with a connection.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:39am On Jan 31, 2007
Donzman:

Nigeria does offer opportunity for success, may the most hardworking/well connected/intelligent/Nigerian savvy individuals take it. The rest well you can always go to London and work you ass off.

AGAIN, why didnt you stay in Nigeria to take these opportunities

BTW Dude just because you have one slowpoke of a friend doesnt mean the education is garbage. You are whining about us talking about Nigeria yet here you are saying that the same Nigeria doesnt have smart graduates. They do. Stop using examples of retards for everyone.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:46am On Jan 31, 2007
AGAIN, why didnt you stay in Nigeria to take these opportunities

After my education, I can start up with washing cars and work my way up. cheesy

between Dude just because you have one slowpoke of a friend doesnt mean the education is garbage. You are whining about us talking about Nigeria yet here you are saying that the same Nigeria doesnt have smart graduates. They do. Stop using examples of retards for everyone

Well it's not about him being a slowpoke, it's about the education system that will let someone planning to become a MEDICAL DOCTOR get to year 3 without any knowledge of biology.

For someone interested in knowledge, I do not think I'll enjoy such a system.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:47am On Jan 31, 2007
Back to travel talk about London, just didn't feel right the way LadyT acted like everyone in Nigeria is a failure which is FALSE.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:49am On Jan 31, 2007
probably went to a shitty school

I doubt that was Lady T's intention
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 2:49am On Jan 31, 2007
Donzman:

Back to travel talk about London, just didn't feel right the way LadyT acted like everyone in Nigeria is a failure which is FALSE.

Read my post again please I DID NOT SAY THAT!!!

I never attacked the people I attacked the country meaning the government JESUS HAVE MERCY!!!!!!!

London maybe boring to you but at least it has given many millions upon millions of immigrants a chance to do something with their lives and improve it, that can't be said of our native Nigeria can it?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 2:53am On Jan 31, 2007
Well if the country offers no opportunity for success then where will the successful people come from? . . .

London maybe boring to you but at least it has given many millions upon millions of immigrants a chance to do something with their lives and improve it, that can't be said of our native Nigeria can it?

How can Nigeria improve your life when you're not there?. . .Medical doctors have a tendency to get on my nerves, watch yourself there.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LadyT(f): 3:03am On Jan 31, 2007
Donzman I really want to kick you. Your worst that my fiance.  Why are men so pig headed!

Your going round and round in circles I'm finding it hard to understand your bloody point!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 3:30am On Jan 31, 2007
My response to davidylan - i noticed u don't live in nigeria yourself, so if u know anything about economies, u should know this - u pay for what u see and what u expect. If u visit lagos or abuja, u're NOT expecting any form of an underground system so u pay REASONABLE prices for overground transport. London has the most expensive and one of the worst transport system in the EU so yes, i will moan at the crappy service i receive because i'm PAYING for it and in POUNDS not NAIRA.

Hope that makes sense, and i wont take offence you for calling me an egomaniac.

Madam sweetnina,
Question time!
1. why do you come to Lagos NOT expecting any form of underground system?
2. What underground transport exists in Lagos? Air coffins and metallic contraptions on pot-hole ridden roads?
3. What are the REASONABLE PRICES you pay for transport in Lagos and Abuja?

it is easy to "moan" about "crappy service" by the british transport system. If you think they would do better why not go back to Nigeria and complain about the "crappy service" there? After all is 1 gallon of petrol no costing up to N1000?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by jerseygurl(f): 3:43am On Jan 31, 2007
@ladyT, dont pay donzman any mind, i tink wat ya said sounded sensible 2 me,
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 6:28am On Jan 31, 2007
Who says London is crap, all your aussie/kiwi brethren in clapham cannot get enough of this vibrant city

I've been to the place and based on what I have seen the place is crap, It is indeed a city with good infrastructure and it is one of the hottest tourist destinations in the world, and compared to Nigerian cities it is an oasis, but all of those things doesn't make it a good city. Some parts of London for example are as dangerous as in developing countries, for example Peckham, how many people that live in Peckham, London go out at night, but enough abot Peckham, I don't wann make my uncle pissed he lives there. Let's see, how about the architecture, that is what annoys me the most, so much of Britains Medieval Architecture has been preserved that the city looks like some medieval cluster. If that is not enough reason to say that the city is crap then how about the electricity in the areas with a high immigrant density, This is not a speculation, trust me I know I've experienced it, Poor dblock is sleeping in the afternoon with the radiator on(Freakin cold weather) when boom the power goes off, cos of some cheap transformer,had to wait three hours for the gays to replace it, the whole freaking area was in darkness. Oh yeah I almost forgot the subway, the condition of the trains are almost as bad as NewYorks, freakin pis everywhere, wannabee gangstas playing their boom boxes inconsiderately and if that's not bad enough the trains sometimes emerge into the most unpleasent neighbourhoods But on amore posotive note, London is a cultural centre where all sorts of people can meet and enjoy God's own sport Football. Oh yeah and the Fish and Chips is the best in the world, butta you folks have to work on you retail undecided

I am so going to get insulted for this post, there are at least a 100 londoners on this forum, but Hey this post wans't intended to create any tension whatsoever, butta a Bro's gotta speak the truth, even if it ay appaer distorted.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 6:30am On Jan 31, 2007
Any minute now, and dblock will get it, yep the big comeback insult cry cry cry cry
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by ikamefa(f): 6:37am On Jan 31, 2007
dblock:

Any minute now, and dblock will get it, yes the big comeback insult cry cry cry cry

seek and yea shall find knock and the door will be opened unto thee! grin grin

oya! oh! londoners take a large chunk out of him! cheesy
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by kitaun(m): 6:38am On Jan 31, 2007
@Lady T, what exactly is ur point?? Have u come to the conclusion that chances of making it here in Naija are limited? Havent u seen folks here getting beta off their more educated and hitherto more exposed peers? Abeg anywhere u dey na the grace of God person dey chop wey dey lift person!
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by dblock(m): 6:40am On Jan 31, 2007
It aint about location it's abut destiny
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by kitaun(m): 6:45am On Jan 31, 2007
@Donzman, u made a few cool points but got urself stuck mentioning ur dumb medico friend, am i surprised? lol, nyweiz stop generalizing, not all naija graduates are worth d salt but best believe this the average naija graduate would dust the foreign counterpart provided the same infrastructure.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 31, 2007
dblock:

It aint about location it's abut destiny

and it aint about destiny, its about hard work, determination, focus and the grace of God.

Donzman:

Well it's not about him being a slowpoke, it's about the education system that will let someone planning to become a MEDICAL DOCTOR get to year 3 without any knowledge of biology.

For someone interested in knowledge, I do not think I'll enjoy such a system.

your friend was probably very dumb. The typical Nigerian i know has a good grasp of biology (as is expected under our poor educational conditions) by the time he is in final yr of secondary school. There is absolutely no problem with the Nigerian education system save for the poor infrastructure and low morale among faculty, i finished from a Nigerian university and i pretty much do most of the elementary chemistry problems in my lab for my american colleagues. Everyone queues waiting for me to figure out how to reconstitute new kits before they can use it!
And that's from an assumed "poor" system.

Nigeria's educational system is not poor so much as having dumb individuals as "ambassadors"!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Mob Attacks Nigerian In Hyderabad India / First Nation Airlines Suspends Operations / Boeing To Lay Off Staff After $641M First-Quarter Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.