Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

The Word For Today - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today (30531 Views)

Lifeway Christian Center: The Word For Today! Thursday, 12/10/2017 / Lifeway Christian Centre: The Word For Today! Tuesday, 26/09/2017 / The Word For Today, Tuesday, 29th August, 2017. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 9:08am On Oct 06, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

A FATHER'S BLESSING 1

Saturday, 6th October, 2018

'By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.' Hebrews 11:20 NKJV

Every child needs their father's blessing, and every father should speak words of blessing to them. When Isaac blessed his sons he was speaking with divinely given authority, not out of sentiment or favouritism.

By Hebrew custom a father's blessing had these ingredients: (1) A meaningful touch. 'Jacob went close to his father...who touched him...Then his father Isaac said to him, "Come here, my son, and kiss me"' (Genesis 27:22, 26 NIV). A father's blessing included the laying on of hands, a kiss, and an embrace of love and acceptance. Jesus also knew the importance of this: 'He took [the children] up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them' (Mark 10:16 NKJV). And such expressions of love still bless your children's hearts when they get them from you, Dad.

(2) Words of affection. Before blessing Jacob his father Isaac said to him, 'Ah, the smell of my son is like the smell of a field that the Lord has blessed' (Genesis 27:27 NIV). To a city dweller these words might bring a puzzled look, but not to Isaac's boys. Isaac, who loved nature, was saying, 'That's my boy - a country boy, a hunter, a man's man like his dad!' He couldn't have spoken more affirming words to his sons. Dad, make sure your words aren't demeaning or insensitive; speak words that say, 'I love you, I believe in you, I'm proud of you, and I'll always be here for you.'

Soulfood: Ex 1-3 Lk 24:45-53 Ps 51 Pro 25:23-25.

Courtesy: Grace So Amazing Foundation

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:49pm On Oct 07, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

A FATHER'S BLESSING 2

Sunday, 7th October, 2018

'May God give you of heaven's dew and of earth's richness - an abundance.' Genesis 27:28 NIV

Let's look at the next two ingredients of a father's blessing:

(1) The power of prayer. Here's how Isaac, who was a farmer, prayed for his sons: 'May God give you of heaven's dew and of earth's richness - an abundance of grain and new wine.' Dad, have your children ever heard you praying for them to succeed in life? Perhaps they've heard cutting and critical words like: 'How could you be so stupid? Don't you ever think? You'll never amount to anything!' If so, apologise and ask their forgiveness. Then create opportunities for them to hear you talk to God about them by name; to hear you speak blessing over them. What a powerful thing is a father's prayer of blessing over his family!

(2) The vision of a glorious future. The Bible says, 'When there's no vision, the people are unrestrained' (Proverbs 29:18 AMP). School counsellors grieve over the lack of vision in their students. Many of today's kids see nothing ahead for them but economic gloom, unemployment and hard times. They need somebody to believe in them; to assure them they can succeed and live happy lives; to know their best days are ahead. Isaac didn't wait for his boys to devise their own vision for the future. No, he prayed for their future success, for their rise to prominence, and for respect with their family and society. Dad, your kids need you to motivate them in the right direction.

Soulfood: Heb 11:8-12 Gen 17:1-27 Gen 22:1-18 James 2:21-24.

Credit: Grace So Amazing Foundation

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

STRENGTH FOR SPEAKERS

Monday, 8th October, 2018

'Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength.' Isaiah 40:31 NKJV

Describing the emotions evoked in having to address an audience, a respected writer says: 'Public speaking is listed as [our] number one fear, before death at number five, and loneliness, which weighs in at number seven. That means that most of us are less afraid of dying alone than of making fools of ourselves in front of others. Fear is a powerful motivator...There is the fear of being seen as exceptional and different; the fear of the unknown; the fear of being a fraud; the fear of forgetting everything you were going to say; the fear of being at risk publicly; and the fear of being up there alone. They all come together for most of us in public speaking.'

In The Bible on Leadership, author Lorin Woolfe writes: 'Leadership takes an almost bottomless supply of verbal energy; working the phones, staying focused on your message, repeating the same mantra until you can't stand the sound of your own voice - and then repeating it some more, because just when you start to become bored witless with the message, it's probably starting to seep in.'

If you do a lot of teaching, preaching, or public speaking, you're probably smiling and saying 'Amen!' The fact is, you can't fill an empty bucket from a dry well. In order to keep giving out you must keep your batteries charged spiritually, emotionally and physically. And the Bible tells you how: 'Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint' (Isaiah 40:31 NKJV).

Soulfood: Ex 4-6 Jn 1:1-13 Ps 63 Pro 25:26-28.

3 Likes

Re: The Word For Today by naijapage(f): 2:08pm On Oct 08, 2018
Great words from Alleluia Ministries International facebook page sounds the same
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:36am On Oct 09, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHEREVER YOU GO GOD IS THERE

Tuesday, 9th October, 2018

'For the place where you stand is holy ground.' Exodus 3:5 NKJV

Jewish scholars used to debate why God revealed himself to Moses in the middle of the desert. Why not a highly populated or religiously significant place? The consensus was that God wanted to show 'that no place on earth, not even a thorn bush, is devoid of God's presence'. Pastor and author A.W. Tozer wrote: 'God is above, but he's not pushed up. He's beneath, but he's not pressed down. He's outside, but he's not excluded. He's inside, but he's not confined. God is above all things presiding, beneath all things sustaining, outside all things embracing, and inside all things fulfilling.' And here's the best part: 'God...works in you both to will and to do for his good pleasure' (Philippians 2:13 NKJV).

Today God is living within you, working within you, and giving you a desire to do the things that please him. And here's an interesting thought. Since God lives within you, don't go anywhere that you know he wouldn't be pleased to go, or get into situations you know he wouldn't be pleased to be in. When you feel wrong about being with a certain person, or in a certain place, pay attention. It may be the Holy Spirit telling you that you don't belong there and you shouldn't be doing that. Is God being narrow-minded? No; he wants only the best for you, so he's protecting you from harm. The Bible says, 'For the Lord God is a...shield...no good thing will he withhold from those who walk uprightly' (Psalm 84:11 NKJV).

Today wherever you go, remember that God is there!

Soulfood: Ex 7-9 Jn 1:14-28 Ps 92 Pro 26:1-3.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 10:52am On Oct 10, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T BE A BLAME THROWER 1

Wednesday, 10th October, 2018

'Each of us shall give account of himself to God.' Romans 14:12 NKJV

Ever seen a flamethrower in the movies? It's a fiery torch designed to destroy people. 'Blame throwers' do the same. When life doesn't go their way, instead of taking responsibility for their decisions and actions they blame others. And there's no shortage of scapegoats. For example: my business would have succeeded if the banker had loaned me more money...I wanted to be part of the ministry team but my husband didn't like the idea...But when it comes to blame-shifting, there's no wiggle room as far as God's Word is concerned: 'Each of us shall give account of himself to God' (Romans 14:12 NKJV).

The problem with blame-shifting is that it stops you from taking constructive action and moving on with your life. As psychologist Dr Brenda Shoshanna observes: 'Each person you blame is holding on to a piece of your personal power and self-respect...Taking responsibility for what's happening in your life is one of the most empowering things you can do. New choices become available...your anger is reduced...you see people and events with new eyes. Remember, responsibility can also be read as response-ability: the ability to respond instead of reacting.'

No question - it can be intimidating to take charge of your life, but you'll be amazed at the joy and freedom it brings. Will you make mistakes along the way? Of course! Will you stumble and fall? Sure! But there's nothing like that feeling of stepping out in faith, and with God's help taking the next step.

Soulfood: Ex 10-12 Jn 1:29-42 Ps 29 Pro 26:4-6.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:29am On Oct 11, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

DON'T BE A BLAME THROWER 2

Thursday, 11th October, 2018

'For we are each responsible for our own conduct.' Galatians 6:5 NLT

Sally managed a small marketing company, and when problems arose she automatically looked for a scapegoat. At sales meetings she berated and criticised her co-workers, choosing to call her tirades 'pep talks'. Her associates began to resign in droves, and when company revenues declined Sally blamed it on the slow economy, inefficient staff, and bad working conditions. Finally her boss had enough and fired her. Blame-shifting was how Sally survived. It never occurred to her that she may have contributed to the problem, in even a small way.

Blaming others undermines your ability to take responsibility for your own life. One expert writes: 'Instead of becoming stronger you become weaker. People think if they admit to being part of the problem it means they've failed in some way. In reality the opposite is true. It takes strength to concede that everyone involved played a part. Another side effect of blame throwing is self-righteousness. In your mind you become unassailable, different, and better than others. You think you're the strong one and other people are flawed. Nothing could be further from the truth; the Bible says an arrogant attitude precedes a fall (see Proverbs 16:18). When you blame others you lose your ability to see what's really going on. And you're shocked when you lose a relationship or a job because you never saw it coming...When you stop blaming others you develop compassion. You realise mistakes are natural and inevitable - and they're just mistakes. They can be corrected. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with you or other people.'

So: take responsibility for your own life.

Soulfood: Ex 13-15 Jn 1:43-51 Ps 131 Pro 26:7-9.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:21am On Oct 12, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHAT IS YOUR LIFE FOUNDED UPON

Friday, 12th October, 2018

'Why do you call me, "Lord, Lord," and do not do what I say?' Luke 6:46 NIV

Jesus told a story of two men who built a house. The wise one built his house on solid rock; the foolish one built his on sand. When a storm hit both houses, only the wise man's was left standing. Now, Jesus wasn't comparing wisdom with foolishness, because we're all apt to be wise at times and foolish at others. And he didn't say the house that survived was a believer's house while the one that was destroyed belonged to an unbeliever, though that's implied. He was comparing the two foundations (see Matthew 7:24-27).

So, what is your life founded upon? When things get bad; when your back is against the wall; when your survival is on the line; when you've used up your last ounce of strength - what is it that gets you through? Certainly not your wisdom or your church affiliation. Faithful believers sometimes flounder in the midst of life's storms: an abusive relationship, a financial collapse, an unfaithful partner, an irreversible loss, the illness of a child, psychological and physical disability, etc.

Jesus' point was this: when the storms of life come, the only way to get through them is to do what he says! Because God always honours his Word, your obedience aligns you with his Word, his will, and his power to act on your behalf. As you walk in obedience, God will enable you to come through this storm, no matter how long and hard it rages.

Soulfood: Ex 16-18 Jn 2:1-11 Ps 23 Pro 26:10-12.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 12:11pm On Oct 13, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LET GOD REPLANT YOU

Saturday, 13th October, 2018

'You are like a garden locked up.' Song of Solomon 4:12 NCV

A farmer's fruit tree consistently produced bumper crops and became a real money-maker for him, so he put all his efforts into marketing and never noticed that the tree was dying. Then one day he woke up and realised the root had dried up. He'd been so focused on the fruit that he neglected the root.

How about you? Are you focusing on numbers and outcomes, or are you focusing on the purpose, people, innovation, culture, and root of your success? Nurture the root and you'll always have fruit. Ignore the root - say goodbye to the fruit!

One author writes: 'Like a plant constrained in the same pot, our roots become bound and twisted. Over time we're unable to be fully nourished. We can't grow beyond the limits of our environment. In the words of Scripture, we become "like a garden locked up...a walled-in spring, a closed-up fountain" (Song of Solomon 4:12 NCV). But God sees the person inside...the one with potential to become everything he created you to be. He sees the impending bloom of the locked garden, the refreshment of the inner spring, and the sound of the running fountain. He knows you're inhibited and closed, and he wants to set you free. Some hardships like death and divorce cause a necessary replanting...an opportunity to establish deeper roots and realise our potential in a new container. Ask God to replant you...to gently remove you, free you from captivity, and find the perfect place for you to grow. Let him nourish your roots so they extend into the rich soil of newfound freedom.'

Soulfood: Ex 19-21 Jn 2:12-25 Ps 110 Pro 26:13-16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:26pm On Oct 14, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER 1

Sunday, 14th October, 2018

'They did not understand that he spoke to them of the Father.' John 8:27 NKJV

The people in Jesus' day found it hard to grasp the concept of God as a Father. Lord, king, judge, they understood - but not Father. The Old Testament rarely speaks of God as Father, whereas the New Testament mentions it often. Until Jesus came and revealed the Father, God remained a mystery. 'No one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him' (Matthew 11:27 NIV). And many of us still don't comprehend his fatherhood and the rich blessings we have in him.

'Father', God's all-inclusive name, incorporates everything we could ever need, while disclosing how he feels towards each one of us. It exemplifies every trait of the best father imaginable. Think what a loving, all-powerful father would do for a needy child. Your heavenly Father will do all that for you - and then some! When you recognise God as your Father, your fears dissolve and you start to believe that all your needs will truly be met.

Jesus said, 'Don't be afraid...it gives your Father great happiness to give you the [benefits of his] Kingdom' (Luke 12:32 NLT). It makes God happy to offer you the resources of his kingdom! Why? Because he loves you as much as he loves his Son Jesus! Jesus prayed you'd know with confidence that your Father 'loved [you] just as much as [he] loved me' (John 17:23 NCV). As his redeemed child, you have all the benefits that come with membership in 'the household of God' (Ephesians 2:19 NKJV).

Soulfood: Heb 11:22 Gen 39:1-23 Gen 45:1-11 Gen 50:15-26.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:31am On Oct 15, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER 2

Monday, 15th October, 2018

'Just as parents are kind to their children, the Lord is kind to all who worship him.' Psalm 103:13 CEV

To see God as a loving Father may not come easily, if you carry the scars of a neglected or abusive childhood. Perhaps you had so many unmet needs growing up: affection, security, trust, comfort, material necessities, etc., and your lack of these things makes it hard to believe God will provide for your needs now.

What to do? Recognise that your 'father-image' is flawed and in no way resembles your heavenly Father. Even the best earthly father can't measure up to him. He wants you to approach him as a caring, sensitive, generous, dependable, loving Father. That's why Jesus taught us to call him 'Our Father', not just 'Almighty God and Lord'. Like a good father, God understands your needs and makes full provision for them (see Matthew 6:25-34). And just as a good parent recognises the unique characteristics of each of his children, he knows your distinctive personality, gifts, thoughts and feelings. 'Just as parents are kind to their children, the Lord is kind to all who worship him.' Psalm 103:13 CEV). God's care is tailor-made to your specific gifts - and weaknesses. And like a loving father, he accepts and fulfils his responsibility to provide for you.

So what's your role in the relationship? To act like the child of a trustworthy, generous, permanently-loving Father!

Soulfood: Ex 22-24 Jn 3:1-21 Ps 89:1-14 Pro 26:17-19.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:48am On Oct 16, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

NOT WHO BUT WHOSE YOU ARE

Tuesday, 16th October, 2018

'Who am I that I should go...?' Exodus 3:11 NIV

When God told Moses he was going to use him to deliver the Israelites from slavery, the conversation went like this: '"So now, go. I am sending you to Pharaoh to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" And God said, "I will be with you"' (Exodus 3:10-12 NIV).

Moses summarised his fears and insecurities in one question, 'Who am I?' But that's the wrong question. It's not about who you are, but whose you are! That day God revealed his name to Moses as 'I AM'. His name is the solution to every problem and the answer to every question. His name calms every fear, seals every prayer and wins every battle. At his name, angels bow and demons quake. At his name, our sin is vindicated and our authority is validated. Who you are is absolutely irrelevant. God doesn't use us because of us, but in spite of us. It's not like Heaven is going to go bankrupt if you don't tithe. And if you take your talents elsewhere, it's not like the Kingdom of God is going to go under. But for reasons that will only be revealed on the far side of the space-time continuum, God has chosen to accomplish his purposes through ordinary people like us.

Are you afraid of stepping out in faith in case you fail? Does the situation seem impossible for you? It's not for God. Trust him, stand on his promise: 'I will be with you' (Exodus 3:12 NIV), and move ahead!

Soulfood: Ex 25-27 Jn 3:22-36 Ps 89:15-37 Pro 26:20-22.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:18am On Oct 17, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

IS YOUR NAME IN THE BOOK

Wednesday, 17th October, 2018

'Only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life will enter.' Revelation 21:27 NCV

One night in 1912, Titanic, the largest passenger steamship in the world and considered by many to be unsinkable, struck an iceberg and sank in the icy Atlantic. Many people died. Following the disaster the scene outside the White Star Line office in Liverpool was one of anxiety and grief as friends and relatives of those on board the ill-fated vessel thronged the building. On both sides of the main entrance notices were posted. One said, 'Known to be saved'; the other said, 'Known to be lost'. From time to time a company official walked out with a piece of paper which contained the name of another passenger. When he held it up, a deathly stillness swept over the crowd as loved ones of the missing waited to see which side he would write the name on.

The day Jesus was crucified, God looked down from heaven, wrote 'Known to be saved' on the cross, and started writing names in 'The Lamb's Book of Life'. And the message of the cross hasn't changed. You don't have to be a scholar to understand it. In fact, most people who come to Christ don't know a lot about the Bible. All they know is they need a Saviour, and God loves them.

All you have to do to receive eternal life is repent of your sin and put your trust in Jesus. The instant you do that, God writes your name 'in the Lamb's book of life' and you become a member of his family, guaranteed a place in Heaven. And it can happen for you today.

Soulfood: Ex 28-29 Jn 4:1-12 Ps 89:38-52 Pro 26:23-26.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:55am On Oct 18, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TRUST GOD AND STEP OUT IN FAITH 1

Thursday, 18th October, 2018

'Begin the...tasks I have assigned to you.' Matthew 25:21 TLB

Nicole Unice, director of women's ministries for Hope Church, says: 'There are ideas I know would be beneficial, yet I hesitate to share too much or dream too big. What if they don't work? Or people don't like them? What if the people above me second-guess hiring me? One day I scrawled on my office wall: So what if it fails? Question: What are you yearning to try and haven't because you're afraid you'll fail? What programmes do you keep alive even though they aren't serving their purpose? What technology are you avoiding? What learning are you circumventing because you feel old and rusty? If you don't have anything on the horizon that might fail, you're failing as a leader. Unless you push for innovation and creativity you'll keep attracting the same people. When you "Begin the...tasks [God] assigned to you" you'll have to push boundaries and try things that might fail.'

John Mason writes: 'Don't be afraid to fail...if you're not failing you're not growing. When successful people stop growing and learning, it's because they become less willing to risk failure. Failure is delay, not defeat. A temporary detour, not a dead-end street. We all make mistakes - especially those who do things. As Paul says, "God...gives us the victory through...Christ" (1 Corinthians 15:57 NKJV), and failure is often the first step towards success. Unless you're willing to take a risk, you won't get the chance to succeed.'

Today trust God and step out in faith!

Soulfood: Ex 30-32 Jn 4:13-26 Ps 100 Pro 26:27-28.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:34am On Oct 19, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

TRUST GOD AND STEP OUT IN FAITH 2

Friday, 19th October, 2018

'Do not look behind you.' Genesis 19:17 NKJV

One time in the West Indies, five ships, one of them British, were anchored in the harbour when a monster storm rolled in. The British captain immediately raised anchor and sailed out to meet it. Two days later, battered but still intact, he returned to the harbour and discovered that the ships that hadn't sailed for fear of the storm had all been driven ashore and destroyed. Generally speaking, as a leader the best way forward is to face challenges head-on and 'not look behind you'.

Author Jon Gordon points out six important things: (1) Who you are makes a difference. People follow the leader first and his vision second. (2) It's all about relationships. Pastor Andy Stanley said, 'Rules without relationship lead to rebellion.' You can implement all the rules in the world, but if you don't develop a relationship with the people you're leading, they'll rebel. (3) It's not just about what you do, but what you can inspire, encourage and empower others to do. You bring out the best in people by sharing the best in yourself. (4) Lead with optimism, enthusiasm and positive energy. Guard against negativity and teach people to focus on solutions, not complaints. (5) Recognise that you don't have all the answers, and build a team of people who either have the answers or will find them. (6) Accept that success is a process, not a destination. John Wooden, the legendary basketball coach, recognised that winning was an offshoot of great leadership, teamwork, focus, commitment, and implementing the basics.

Soulfood: Ex 33-35 Jn 4:27-38 Ps 32 Pro 27:1-3.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:16am On Oct 20, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

LET GOD USE WHAT YOU'VE GOT

Saturday, 20th October, 2018

'What is that in your hand?' Exodus 4:2 NIV

The Bible says, 'Moses answered: "What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, 'The Lord did not appear to you?'" Then the Lord said to him, "What is that in your hand?" "A staff," he replied. The Lord said, "Throw it on the ground." Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake' (Exodus 4:1-3 NIV). Throwing down your staff, the thing you lean on, is frightening and counter-intuitive to all of us who are control freaks. But as long as you hold on to it and try to control it, God can't use it. In golf, when an amateur wants to drive the ball further they grip the club tighter, but it has the opposite effect. The key to a long drive is loosening your grip.

Moses' staff represented his identity and security. It was the way he made his living as a shepherd, and the way he protected himself and his flock. So when God told him to throw it down, he was asking Moses to let go of who he was and what he had. Question: What are you not willing to let go of? Answer: You don't control whatever it is you're holding on to, it controls you. If you don't throw it down, your staff will forever remain only a staff. But if you have the courage to surrender it to God, it can become the lightning rod of his miraculous power.

What's in your hand today? You can hang on to it and see what you can do, or hand it over and see what God can do. Today let God use what you've got.

Soulfood: Ex 36-38 Jn 4:39-54 Ps 87 Pro 27:4-6.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 2:01pm On Oct 21, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR PATTERN SINS 1

Sunday, 21st October, 2018

'The sin that so easily trips us up.' Hebrews 12:1 NLT

In his book The Me I Want to Be, John Ortberg points out that a 'pattern sin' is one you're habitually drawn to. That doesn't mean nobody else commits it. It just means you're vulnerable in a particular area, and usually it's related to your gifts. Just as home-run hitters in baseball also strike out a lot, your gifts and passions can indicate your areas of vulnerability. For example, extroverts who have the ability to inspire and encourage others are sometimes prone to gossip. People who love to learn may be tempted to feel superior and talk down to others. People who are spontaneous and have a great appetite for life often struggle with impulse control. Good listeners can become passive enablers. Optimists are often susceptible to denial.

Greek mythology speaks of the nemesis (an enemy who seems unbeatable). Your nemesis is like you in almost every way, except he's the ruined version of you. Sherlock Holmes' nemesis was Professor Moriarty, also a brilliant man. He was like Holmes would've been if he'd gone wrong. Because there's a relationship between the best and the worst versions of you, in many areas of life you're your own nemesis. And what they have in common is - they're both you!

Why is it helpful to know this? Because awareness and sensitivity to your own proclivities are the first steps towards building a defence. We have a staggering capacity for self-deception and self-justification. Addressing careless, cold-hearted believers in the end-age church, Jesus told them they needed 'ointment [the Holy Spirit] for your eyes so you will be able to see' (Revelation 3:18 NLT).

Soulfood: Acts 13:21-22 1 Sam 16 1 Sam 17:32-51 1 Sam 24:1-17.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:54am On Oct 22, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR PATTERN SINS 2

Monday, 22nd October, 2018

'Be kind...tenderhearted, forgiving one another.' Ephesians 4:32 NLT

Our areas of weakness are usually consistent and predictable. It's like having a 'sin profile'. In his book Signature Sins: Taming Our Wayward Hearts, Dr Michael W. Mangis identifies nine of these patterns using an ancient system called the Enneagram. It's somewhat controversial because it's been used by many spiritual traditions. However, it's thought to have originated out of consideration of the seven deadly sins and the fruit of the Spirit, therefore it can be applied within a Christian framework. To help you become more self-aware and build a defence against your particular area of vulnerability, let's spend the next few days looking at these nine pattern sins, and the people most likely to wrestle with them.

Reformers: Reformers are drawn to perfection. They have a high standard of excellence and their greatest fear is being flawed. (They make good surgeons - and excellent golfers.) At their best they're crusaders, watchdogs and prophets. But because they wrestle with perfectionism and self-righteousness, they tend to judge others whose standards aren't quite so high. The prophet Amos is a good example. He writes about 'a plumb line' that shows how far short people fall of God's standards (see Amos 7:7-cool.

Writing to the reformers, Paul said, 'Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you' (Ephesians 4:32 NLT). As a reformer your greatest challenge will be to demonstrate love, patience, and grace in your dealings with others. And with God's help you can do it.

Soulfood: Ex 39-40 Jn 5:1-15 Ps 41 Pro 27:7-9.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:33am On Oct 23, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR PATTERN SINS 3

Tuesday, 23rd October, 2018

'Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord.' Ephesians 6:7 NIV

Servers: Servers love to be needed. They're natural caregivers who'll fluff up your pillow even when it doesn't need fluffing! They remember birthdays and anniversaries, and they're often first to get up from the table and wash the dishes. Servers often work in social settings where they support other people. They're most comfortable when they have something to do. But while they're drawn to help people, that helping often comes from their own neediness. Lurking under their servant-hood is sometimes low self-esteem that demands to be fed. And because it can never be fully satisfied, they end up draining others. Martha is a great illustration. While she was busy serving, her sister Mary sat at Jesus' feet (see Luke 10:39-42.)

On the plus side, servers demonstrate love in action and have a natural other-centeredness that makes people feel cared for. On the minus side, they sometimes use their 'giving' to manipulate others. And the problem is that when you try to lighten their burden and lift their load, they won't let you. Their innate fear of not being needed makes it impossible for them to set healthy boundaries.

So, what's the answer? (a) Make sure your first priority is serving God, not people. 'Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men' (Ephesians 6:7 NIV). (b) Understand that your reward comes from God, not other people. 'The Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does' (Ephesians 6:8 NIV). (c) Don't complain. 'Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault' (Philippians 2:14-15 NIV).

Soulfood: Is 1-3 Jn 5:16-30 Ps 15 Pro 27:10-12.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:18am On Oct 24, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR PATTERN SINS 4

Wednesday, 24th October, 2018

'Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ.' Philippians 2:5 NIV

Achievers: Achievers love to overcome challenges and perform for others. At best, they're motivated to grow, stretch and learn. They inspire and move people to action and enjoy being in front of crowds. Giving a talk energises them. Without a chance to develop and shine they lose their motivation. Achievers want to make an impact, can be tempted to live for the image they portray, and end up idolising their own performance. They're apt to measure success in terms of applause and recognition. When John the Baptist said about Jesus, 'He must increase, but I must decrease' (John 3:30 NKJV), he demonstrated the kind of surrender that can be difficult for an achiever.

Simon Magus thought he could buy a spectacular ministry like Peter's, and offered Peter money in exchange for the ability to give others the Holy Spirit (see Acts 8:18-22). Similarly, an unredeemed achiever can turn what looks like serving God into serving himself. For many of us 'the sin that so easily trips us up' (Hebrews 12:1 NLT) is pride. While achievers have the ability to accomplish great things and enrich the lives of others, they can also become preoccupied with their own image and success.

What's the answer? Paul says: 'Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves...look not only to your own interests, but...the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus' (Philippians 2:3-5 NIV).

Soulfood: Is 4-7 Jn 5:31-47 Ps 5 Pro 27:13-16.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:28am On Oct 25, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR PATTERN SINS 5

Thursday, 25th October, 2018

'I discipline my body and bring it into subjection.' 1 Corinthians 9:27 NKJV

Artists: Artists not only love beauty and see it in places others don't, they're uniquely gifted to create it. They express their individuality in bold ways that enrich us all. They bring colour and flair to a world that would otherwise be drab. But since none of us can live in the ideal world of our imagination, artists are sometimes ill-equipped to live in the real world with its problems and pressures. The same sensitivity that makes them creative often enslaves them to emotional swings that put people off, and ends up destroying the artist himself. From Ernest Hemingway to Elvis Presley, the history books tell the story.

King David was artistic. He was a gifted poet, dancer, and composer of many songs. But his inability to control his impulses culminated in an affair that led to murder and the devastation of his family. Understand one thing: every strength God gives you has a corresponding weakness that must be identified and handled in the right way.

The more talented you are, the more disciplined you must be. Paul was wise enough to recognise his own proclivities: 'I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified' (1 Corinthians 9:27 NKJV). The last few decades have proven that even people God gifted to build great churches and lead great ministries aren't immune to temptation. Where there is great talent - there is great temptation. Where do sheep find their greatest safety? By sticking close to the shepherd. Today, do that!

Soulfood: Is 8-11 Jn 6:1-24 Ps 126 Pro 27:17-19.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 8:28am On Oct 27, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR PATTERN SINS 7: LOYALISTS

Saturday, 27th October, 2018

'Fear not, for I am with you.' Isaiah 41:10 NKJV

Loyalists: Loyalists love to be part of a great team. When the chips are down, you can count on them. They crave a cause to which they can give themselves, and want to be part of a group they can believe in. At their best, loyalists help everyone else become better. They're usually quite bright and articulate, although they may not always volunteer their thoughts. They can become cynical when they feel let down - which is inevitable at times. That's why the Bible has so much to say about showing grace and extending forgiveness to each other.

When twelve-steppers use the term 'the God of your understanding', they're referring to your personal perception of God. Loyalists often perceive God as hard to please, so their signature sin is fear. Jesus told of three servants who were each given a sum of money to invest. The first two invested wisely, bringing profit to their master and pleasing him. But the third, afraid of failing and incurring his master's displeasure, buried his talent in the ground (see Matthew 25:14-30). The 'takeaway' in Christ's parable is that God reserves his harshest judgment not for those who try and fail, but for those who fail to try because they give in to fear.

Someone estimated that there are 365 'fear nots' in Scripture; that's one for every day of the year. If God designed a bumper sticker it might read, 'Fear not.' So don't be afraid - he's with you today!

Soulfood: Is 17-21 Jn 6:35-51 Ps 98 Pro 27:23-24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:27am On Nov 01, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

WHERE TO GO FOR HELP

Thursday, 1st November, 2018

'To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.' Psalm 25:1 NKJV

When you need help, turn to Psalm 25 and note what David did. (1) He knew where to go. 'To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul' (Psalm 25:1 NKJV). Out of the blue we could experience something that really throws us or we could receive bad news. How quickly our lives can change! Where can we turn in such moments? To God. He's known by many names in Scripture, and one of them is Jehovah-Rapha - the Lord who heals you. How wonderful! His Word says, 'He... heals all your diseases' (Psalm 103:3 NIV). With God no sickness is incurable, which means you can go to him today with confidence. (2) He knew who to trust. 'O my God, I trust in you' (Psalm 25:2 NKJV). A man or woman without God has to fill the role of God in his or her own life. That may be okay in good times, but what about malignant cells, faulty heartbeats, redundancies at work, home repossessions and phone calls that bring bad news in the wee hours of the morning? To whom do you turn then? 'To you, O Lord!' (3) He knew how to pray: 'Show me, teach me, lead me.' 'Show me your ways...teach me your paths...Lead me in your truth...for you are the God of my salvation' (Psalm 25:4-5 NKJV).Theologian Richard Foster says, 'To pray is to change. It's the central avenue God uses to transform us. If we're not willing to change we will soon abandon prayer.' So have you prayed about it? If not, get into God's presence right away. That's where you'll find the help you need.

Happy November!

Soulfood: Is 30-33 Jn 7:14-24 Ps 104:1-23 Pro 28:5-8.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2018
God bless you! I noticed that they was a break and I wanted to check in today and ask why but here you are smiley

Thank you
Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:42am On Nov 02, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

KNOWING GOD'S WILL IT'S A POWERFUL
THING

Friday, 2nd November, 2018

'He made known to us the mystery of his will.' Ephesians 1:9 NIV

What a joy it is when the will of God is no longer a mystery, because he has made it 'known to us'. Suddenly your outlook is different, your attitude changes and fear can no longer play games with your mind. Now you know - and knowledge is power! The Bible says, 'The people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits' (Daniel 11:32 NKJV).There are times you know things in your spirit that you can't figure out in your head. And it can cause you to be misunderstood. You can carry the knowledge of a breakthrough or a blessing in your spirit long before it happens. The Bible says, 'We know about these things because God has sent his Spirit to tell us' (1 Corinthians 2:10 TLB). When God imparts wisdom to you, it puts you in a position to succeed. What separates the bank president from the bank teller? It's what he or she knows! They are equal in every other sense, but one has paid a price to learn things that place him or her in a different position that brings different rewards. 'We know these things.' God can cause you to know something that will change the course of your life. He can show you something during the night that changes how you feel in the morning. In his presence you receive insights that give you purpose, hope, dignity, direction and the strength to get up and fight for what he promised you in his Word.So get into his presence today - and stay there until he reveals to you his will in the matter.

Soulfood: Is 34-37 Jn 7:25-44 Ps 104:24-35 Pro 28:9-12.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:45am On Nov 02, 2018
Thoniameek:
God bless you! I noticed that they was a break and I wanted to check in today and ask why but here you are smiley

Thank you

Many thanks!

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 1:28pm On Nov 04, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

JOSEPH'S THREE COATS 2

Sunday, 4th November, 2018

'He left his [coat] in her hand, and fled.' Genesis 39:12 NKJV

The second coat Joseph wore was: the coat of temptation. The Bible says, 'When Joseph went into the house to do his work...she caught him by his [coat], saying, "Lie with me." But he left his [coat] in her hand, and fled and ran outside' (Genesis 39:11-12 NKJV). Joseph was young, handsome, lonely, far from home and facing repeated temptation at the hands of his boss's wife. Yet he resisted her advances and said, 'How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God' (Genesis 39:9 NKJV)? His first concern was not that he couldn't get away with it, but that he couldn't live with himself if he said yes. Remembering how God had loved, preserved and blessed him put the brakes on any carnal inclinations and impulses he may have had. Not so with King David. After his affair with Bathsheba, he wrote these words in his penitential prayer of Psalm 51: 'Against you, you only, have I sinned, and done this evil in your sight' (Psalm 51:4 NKJV).Who are you sinning against? God. Who is observing what you're doing? God: the one who demonstrated the extent of his love for you at Calvary. Did God forgive David? Yes, and he will forgive you too. But David's story proves that sometimes we have to live with the consequences of our deeds, and they can devastate not only us but those who look to us for guidance.Paul, the greatest of the apostles, acknowledged this truth: 'I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified' (1 Corinthians 9:27 NKJV).

Soulfood: Acts 9:1-19 2 Cor 11:21-33 2 Cor 12:7-10 Acts 16:16-40.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:08am On Nov 05, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

JOSEPH'S THREE COATS 3

Monday, 5th November, 2018

'He clothed him in garments of fine linen.' Genesis 41:42 NKJV

The third coat Joseph wore was: the coat of destiny. Because Joseph honoured God in the most difficult of circumstances, he ended up on the throne of Egypt, wearing the coat of rulership and fulfilling his destiny. The psalmist said God 'sent a man before them - Joseph - who was sold as a slave. They hurt his feet with fetters, he was laid in irons. Until the time that his word came to pass, the word of the Lord tested him. The king sent and released him, the ruler of the people let him go free. He made him lord of his house, and ruler of all his possessions' (Psalm 105:17-21 NKJV).The tests and temptations you are facing are over your future. They are preparing you for your destiny! All of your life could be training for one season, for one assignment. Five times in Genesis chapter 39 the Bible says, 'The Lord was with Joseph.' But that did not exempt him from betrayal by his family; or repeated temptation at the hands of his boss's wife; or slander and false imprisonment; or disappointment at the hands of the butler he befriended in prison. Looking back, however, Joseph realised that all of these experiences were 'training for reigning'.When asked why he used only wood taken from trees that had weathered the biggest storms to make his violins, Stradivarius replied, 'Weather-beaten wood makes the sweetest music.' So persevere, keep trusting God, and you'll sing a song of victory.

Soulfood: Is 42-44 Jn 8:1-20 Ps 96 Pro 28:17-20.

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 6:51am On Nov 06, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

YOUR GOOD AND HIS GLORY

Tuesday, 6th November, 2018

'If you suffer for doing good and...endure...this is commendable before God.' 1 Peter 2:20 NIV

Many of the people we admire in Scripture were badly treated. And God permitted it to happen. Think about Daniel being thrown to the lions, and Joseph being tossed into prison. They did nothing to deserve it. The Bible says: 'If you suffer for doing good and endure it, this is commendable...To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps' (1 Peter 2:20-21 NIV). Notice, you are 'called' to overcome difficulties. There's purpose in your pain. And nothing can touch you without first passing through your loving heavenly Father's hands. He anticipated it all, and everything you're going through right now is preparing you to serve him more effectively. Paul said, 'The first time I defended myself, no one helped me; everyone left me... But the Lord stayed with me and gave me strength so I could fully tell the Good News' (2 Timothy 4:16-17 NCV). Paul didn't see it as simply enduring, he saw it as advancing! So be encouraged; you're growing in grace [becoming more gracious] and in the knowledge of the Lord (see 2 Peter 3:18). You're in the preparation process.'But I don't understand,' you say. Then listen to Joni Erickson Tada: 'If God's mind was small enough for me to understand, he wouldn't be God. Sometimes I can't stand being in this wheelchair, but there God's grace takes over. Even in my handicap, God has a plan and purpose for my life.' Whether God takes you out of the situation or brings you through it, trust him. He's working for your good and his glory.

Soulfood: Is 45-48 Jn 8:21-30 Ps 86 Pro 28:21-24.

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today by Moneyfem: 7:46am On Nov 07, 2018
THE WORD FOR TODAY

FREE FROM RELIGIOUS BONDAGE

Wednesday, 7th November, 2018

'Christ has truly set us free... stay free.' Galatians 5:1 NLT

Some of us find it hard to give ourselves permission to think, say or enjoy certain things because we fear others will disapprove. We live by their convictions instead of our own. There's no bondage like religious bondage! A Christian author writes: 'The church I grew up in taught that we couldn't go to the movies or a soccer match (mixing with the world), or ladies wear makeup. Our standard answer to most of these issues was, "We were taught differently!"' Such is the reasoning of a conscience raised in the school of tradition.Paul came down hard on the Galatians for trying to police people's lives and forcing them to live by Jewish traditions instead of by the Gospel of grace. He wrote, 'Make sure...you stay free...don't get tied up again in slavery to the law' (Galatians 5:1 NLT). Train yourself to worry less about what people think and more about what God thinks. In reality, what upsets some religious people is that you can do certain things they can't - because they can't give themselves permission to enjoy their freedom in Christ (see Galatians 2:4). Now, we're not condoning sin or unscriptural practices. But if you don't move when the light is green, you'll spend your life waiting for 'the right moment' or 'a time when most people will understand' before you move forward. And you'll end your life looking back with regret.Don't let that happen to you. 'Christ has truly set us free...make sure that you stay free' (Galatians 5:1 NLT).

Soulfood: Is 49-52 Jn 8:31-41 Ps 30 Pro 28:25-28.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (26) (Reply)

Xenophobia : TB Joshua Weeps In Church As He Composes Song For Africa / Catholics Stage The Crucifixion Of Jesus At Ojo Alaba, Lagos (Photos) / Pastor Taiwo Odebiyi Sets Lady On Fire During Special Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.