Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,523 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (11113 Views)

The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists / Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib / Atheists And Freethinkers, What Do Y'all Do On Christmas Day And December 31st? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 11:11am On Oct 02, 2017
johnydon22:

I dont even get where this one is coming from, who ever said miscarriage is murder...

Miscarriages are natural and thus like natural death is not murder.

This argument is on induced abortion which in that context is likened to premeditated murder.

Jesus Christ!!!
don't sound as if you understand everything.... Women with a fertilized egg can still mensurate that is my point here? I only correct your assumptions when you say fertilized woman can't mensurate
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 11:14am On Oct 02, 2017
johnydon22:

murder
ˈməːdə/
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Fetus is human and living

Let us argue on it because I am pretty sure living and non-living cannot be mistaken...
So, what is the legal definition of a human being? At conception or at birth?
Do fetus have human rights? Do they have right to inherit property? Are they counted in a census etc?

1 Like

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 11:16am On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
don't as if you understand everything.... Women with a fertilized can still mensurate that is my point here? I only correct your assumptions when you say fertilized woman can't mensurate
Oga, a woman carrying a zygote can't menstruate. It's either implantational bleed or miscarriage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by johnydon22(m): 11:30am On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

So, what is the legal definition of a human being? At conception or at birth?
Do fetus have human rights? Do they have right to inherit property? Are they counted in a census etc?

Human being: 1. A member of the species Homo sapiens.

Not having any rights to inherit property is not the definition of a human or we would then say women are less human in fundamental African culture.

Legality does not make human, biological classification does.

Now to my question: At what point did you become you? At birth or conception?

At what point did you begin to exist?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by johnydon22(m): 11:30am On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
don't sound as if you understand everything.... Women with a fertilized egg can still mensurate that is my point here? I only correct your assumptions when you say fertilized woman can't mensurate

God of mercy. Fertilised ovums dont menstruate ooo!!!
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by johnydon22(m): 11:31am On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Oga, a woman carrying a zygote can't menstruate. It's either implantational bleed or miscarriage.

Nnaa ayam juss tayad of that one
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 11:33am On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

it can happen if a woman conceived close to the time of her mensuration period...
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by JackBizzle: 11:34am On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Chai grin

A miscarriage is not an abortion. Spontaneous means sudden.

abortion
noun
the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks

miscarriage
noun
the spontaneous or unplanned expulsion of a fetus from the womb before it is able to survive independently.

Do you see the difference? Spontaneous is what shows that the termination was unplanned.

Abortion simply means TERMINATION. spontaneous termination is the word so I understand your ignorance due to the word ABORTION being used.

It's simply a lack of understanding on your part. cheesy

I like how you made a fool of yourself. Everyone sees you fir what you are.

Next time, read before arguing, mr spontaneous abortion
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 11:36am On Oct 02, 2017
johnydon22:

God of mercy. Fertilised ovums dont menstruate ooo!!!
ook I hear you
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 11:42am On Oct 02, 2017
johnydon22:

Human being: 1. A member of the species Homo sapiens.

Not having any rights to inherit property is not the definition of a human or we would then say women are less human in fundamental African culture.
You conveniently left out the census part. Abi women aren't counted in census again? That's by the way sha

Legality does not make human, biological classification does.
Within the confines of the definition of murder which is a legal construct, you have to define a human being based on the law. So, if the law says muder is the killing of a human being, you have to find out what is legally defined as a human being. Is a fetus considered a human being under the law? The answer is no.

Now to my question: At what point did you become you? At birth or conception?

At what point did you begin to exist?
We become human when we breathe in air for the first time outside the confines of the womb. There's a process to get to being labeled a human being. You can't pick an arbitrary point during this process and term it a human being.

If that were so, all the embryo that that weren't implanted during assisted reproduction like IVF and are subsequently destroyed could be said to have been killed and the person destroying them charged with murder.
That's crazy

2 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2017
JackBizzle:

I like how you made a fool of yourself. Everyone sees you fir what you are.

Next time, read before arguing, mr spontaneous abortion

I like how you are too stupid to realize you just made an ignoramus of yourself grin

Spontaneous abortion is a miscarriage. Your jumbo dumbo Mentality obviously can never know this.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 12:09pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
it can happen if a woman conceived close to the time of her mensuration period...

Women do not conceive close to their menstruation. Conception timing occurs after ovulation and the conditions for ovulation and conception prohibit menstruation.

Once fertilisation occurs the body is notified to stop menstruation in order to aid implantation.

What you are saying can only happen during a hormonal imbalance episode but even at that, once a fertilised egg is implanted then any bleeding after that is known as a miscarriage aka spontaneous abortion which can be caused due to a hormonal issue or excessive implantation bleeding or spotting.

Catfishbilly do you concur?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by JackBizzle: 12:10pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I like how you are too stupid to realize you just made an ignoramus of yourself grin

Spontaneous abortion is a miscarriage. Your jumbo dumbo Mentality obviously can never know this.

grin grin

The fool thinks he can save face.

Ogbeni, SWERVE!!
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 12:11pm On Oct 02, 2017
JackBizzle:

grin grin

The fool thinks he can save face.

Ogbeni, SWERVE!!

Stupidity is not a badge of honour Jumbo dumbo but you obviously carry yours with pride grin
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2017
unpopular opinion here grin pls no bashing

a fetus is human if I want it or have need for it or if i concieved out of my own fault or carelessness

But if it is as a result of rape or it has been proven to have a congenital disorder then it ceases to be human and becomes a fucking parasite

So bottom line I'm not sure if abortion is right or wrong.

but I won't call it murder tho so. I agree with daeylar. I'm pro-choice for now my views may change in the future.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 12:29pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:
unpopular opinion here grin pls no bashing

a fetus is human if I want it or have need for it or if i concieved out of my own fault or carelessness

But if it is as a result of rape or it has been proven to have a congenital disorder then it ceases to be human and becomes a fucking parasite

So bottom line I'm not sure if abortion is right or wrong.

but I won't call it murder tho so. I agree with daeylar. I'm pro-choice for now my views may change in the future.

Every fetus be it defective or whole is a parasite while in the womb.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Humanistme: 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2017
bloodofthelamb:
WHO IS A RELIGIONIST? ARE THEY NOT HUMAN? EEH!

Humanism:

An ethical system that centers on humans and their values, needs, interests, abilities, dignity and freedom; especially used for a secular  one which rejects theistic religion and superstition. 

Humanist:

a person who believes in the philosophy of humanism.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Dohgon(m): 12:32pm On Oct 02, 2017
JackBizzle:

My guy. Your are not a freethinker. You are a locked up thinker.

Go and learn about humanism before you start saying ignorant things

I was once a humanist like you before I realized that it is the selfishness of humanity that is destroying this world. Imagine how hundreds of years ago some selfish people came into Africa and took over everything they saw for their own benifit. The only morality they had was the directive of their imaginary gods that what they were doing was right. Their moral duty was to civilize the savages. Were our ancestors savages? Is it not the decision of humans to dictate morality? Only when you begin to think for the whole of Life will you begin to respect Life.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 12:40pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Women do not conceive close to their menstruation. Conception timing occurs after ovulation and the conditions for ovulation and conception prohibit menstruation.

Once fertilisation occurs the body is notified to stop menstruation in order to aid implantation.

What you are saying can only happen during a hormonal imbalance episode but even at that, once a fertilised egg is implanted then any bleeding after that is known as a miscarriage aka spontaneous abortion which can be caused due to a hormonal issue or excessive implantation bleeding or spotting.

Catfishbilly do you concur?
sperm can survived close to three to five days....what about that?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Every fetus be it defective or whole is a parasite while in the womb.

No its not if I desire it, it is only a parasite While one is going through the stress of pregnancy for nothing only to give birth to a fùcking vegetable.

If I'm prepared for the pregnancy journey emotionally and physically then it ain't parasitic to me

Btw I thought I told you to stop quoting me?

now fùck off.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:

oga pregnant women do not have menstruation. If you have conceived and you start spotting you are at a risk of a miscarriage.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 12:46pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

C.atfishbilly do you concur?
Thumbs up
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 12:47pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

oga pregnant women do not have menstruation. If you have conceived and you start spotting you are at a risk of a miscarriage.
Nigga just wants to argue. Reminds me of someone on this platform.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 12:51pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

that was my understanding initially.... But since you are women ...pls read this article....http://www.womens-health.co.uk/menstruation-during-pregnancy.html
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 12:53pm On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Nigga just wants to argue. Reminds me of someone on this platform.
bro that is not my mission....
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:

Sperm is a part of a whole. The other half of the sperm is the egg from a woman. When both combine then life begins which would end up as a baby.

We are not talking about a sperm but a fertilised egg (zygote)
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 1:00pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
that was my understanding initially.... But since you are women ...pls read this article....http://www.womens-health.co.uk/menstruation-during-pregnancy.html
So, na blog post you carry come?

Let me school you then since you're being unnecessarily obtuse.

In menstrual cycle of 28 days, ovulation occurs mid cycle at about day 14 and this egg lives for about 24 to 48 hours, meaning that the sperm has this range to fertilize the ovum. After that, it's implanted into the wall of the uterus. If no implantation occurs, to wall of the womb is shed as menses. As you can see in this timeline, there's nothing like "getting pregnant close to your period".

If you still want to be unnecessarily dense, pick up a textbook on reproductive biology and leave blogs alone.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:

99% of the time spotting during pregnancy indicates a high risk pregancy, miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

I went through the article, I read where they wrote menstruation during pregnancy occurs if the woman conceived close to menstrual period but then still she is not shedding her fetus as implied in your conversation with jonnydon22. Even women with anovulation menstruate.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 1:03pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

No its not if I desire it, it is only a parasite While one is going through the stress of pregnancy for nothing only to give birth to a fùcking vegetable.

If I'm prepared for the pregnancy journey emotionally and physically then it ain't parasitic to me

Btw I thought I told you to stop quoting me?

now fùck off.

Your attitude shows your parents would have been applauded if they had seen you as a parasite and aborted you.

Besides you quoted me back as well so you can fvck off, fvck on, fvck sideways, fvck up and fvck down as well.

Apparently not all fetuses are worth a 9month wait according to your mentality and you are a case in point because you obviously do not thrive in polite environments so I am switching it up on you right away.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 1:12pm On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

So, na blog post you carry come?

Let me school you then since you're being unnecessarily obtuse.

In menstrual cycle of 28 days, ovulation occurs mid cycle at about day 14 and this egg lives for about 24 to 48 hours, meaning that the sperm has this range to fertilize the ovum. After that, it's implanted into the wall of the uterus. If no implantation occurs, to wall of the womb is shed as menses. As you can see in this timeline, there's nothing like "getting pregnant close to your period".

If you still want to be unnecessarily dense, pick up a textbook on reproductive biology and leave blogs alone.
are you done?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Your attitude shows your parents would have been applauded if they had seen you as a parasite and aborted you.

Besides you quoted me back as well so you can fvck off, fvck on, fvck sideways, fvck up and fvck down as well.

Apparently not all fetuses are worth a 9month wait according to your mentality and you are a case in point because you obviously do not thrive in polite environments so I am switching it up on you right away.

Well I'm here you motherfùcking bìtch ass niggeŕ

if I was aborted then I wouldn't exist to talk to rude ass idiots like you so idgaf

and yes not all fetuses are worth the nine months wait

So when you menstruate and grow a fùcking womb you can come back and have a conversation with me

till then bye...
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 1:14pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga I am waiting to catch your next barrage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Biblical Inerrancy / Grace Testimony From Nigeria : Freed From Condemnation / 5 Bible Verses To Help Parents In Bringing Up Their Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.