Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,270 members, 7,818,929 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (11181 Views)

The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists / Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib / Atheists And Freethinkers, What Do Y'all Do On Christmas Day And December 31st? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 1:17pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Sperm is a part of a whole. The other half of the sperm is the egg from a woman. When both combine then life begins which would end up as a baby.

We are not talking about a sperm but a fertilised egg (zygote)
took thanks.....I read something different online....but wouldn't mind if I got the understanding..... Any links?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 1:20pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

Well I'm here you motherfùcking bìtch ass niggeŕ

if I was aborted then I wouldn't exist to talk to rude ass idiots like you so idgaf

and yes not all fetuses are worth the nine months wait

So when you menstruate and grow a fùcking womb you can come back and have a conversation with me

till then bye...

I doubt if you menstruate but if you do, you must do so for 365 days of the year because you are too cranky.

Talking to me does not mean your existence was not a fluke of an abortion. I am sure the abortion pills used on you failed but the side effects are what we are seeing in your mentally leprous state which is evident in your verbose and sense of reasoning viz a viz your convo.

You must have aborted a few of yours if this topic hurts you this bad to say the rubbish you just did at the end of your comment. All of those you flushed must have been deformed as an extended after effect of your failed abortion from your carrier.

The cycle must be hurting you so bad. People like you do not deserve wombs if you had any, then donate it to someone who deserves them, otherwise go get a sezx change since menstruation and pregnancy disgust you. Bobrisky is always available to mentor you.

Leprechauns do not belong on Nairaland. So dig a hole and cover yourself up in it.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 1:24pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

99% of the time spotting during pregnancy indicates a high risk pregancy, miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy.

I went through the article, I read where they wrote menstruation during pregnancy occurs if the woman conceived close to menstrual period but then still she is not shedding her fetus as implied in your conversation with jonnydon22. Even women with anovulation menstruate.
In my discussion with the dude... I made mention of implanting which catbelly fail to see before repeating the same thing I told johndon22
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by adepeter2027(m): 1:26pm On Oct 02, 2017
I'm still following.

The "yabbings" Dae sweet my belle
I just Dae laf
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 1:30pm On Oct 02, 2017
Proudgorgeouga ,this is what I post to johndon22...

let's say there was an egg that had been fertilized. The womb is an hazardous place to be without implantion. Especially during menstruation. The uterus swells, it contracts, it shed the lining that the egg would've implanted on. If the womb didn't dissolve the fertilized egg before the period, it wouldn't be in a position to stay in there ... Catfishbelly...what do you enjoy in foul statement
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
took thanks.....I read something different online....but wouldn't mind if I got the understanding..... Any links?

Without the sperm the egg is useless in its function and without the egg the sperm is useless as well. For each to attain purpose they need to come together then life as we know it begins its process of actualisation.

When they do combine the process is known as fertilisation. This fertilised egg then travels down the Fallopian tube into the womb in order to implant itself in the womb lining. Once this is done then conception is said to have occurred.

Proudgorgeousga mentioned anovulation. Anovulation means that an egg is not released ovulation does not occur in such a person. However a person who is going through Anovulation can still menstruate.

For those who ovulate and fertilisation occurs and the egg fails to implant itself in the womb then the signal needed by the body to cause a stoppage of menstruation fails and menstruation occurs, shedding the womb lining and the failed egg along with it.

1 Like

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by CatfishBilly: 1:36pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
Proudgorgeouga ,this is what I post to johndon22...

let's say there was an egg that had been fertilized. The womb is an hazardous place to be without implantion. Especially during menstruation. The uterus swells, it contracts, it shed the lining that the egg would've implanted on. If the womb didn't dissolve the fertilized egg before the period, it wouldn't be in a position to stay in there ... Catfishbelly...what do you enjoy in foul statement
There was so much wrong with this your post that I just ignored it. I saw it the first time you posted it.

When different people repeatedly tell you the same thing and you still refuse to learn, it becomes frustrating. I didn't use foul statement. What I said might be considered rude, but definitely not foul statement.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 1:47pm On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

There was so much wrong with this your post that I just ignored it. I saw it the first time you posted it.

When different people repeatedly tell you the same thing and you still refuse to learn, it becomes frustrating. I didn't use foul statement. What I said might be considered rude, but definitely not foul statement.
I will be glad if you can point out any error,

.... Anything rude is consider a foul word.... Instead of bashng you could have simply explain like butterflyl1on....try and point error in this statement of mine...
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Without the sperm the egg is useless in its function and without the egg the sperm is useless as well. For each to attain purpose they need to come together then life as we know it begins its process of actualisation.

When they do combine the process is known as fertilisation. This fertilised egg then travels down the Fallopian tube into the womb in order to implant itself in the womb lining. Once this is done then conception is said to have occurred.

Proudgorgeousga mentioned anovulation. Anovulation means that an egg is not released ovulation does not occur in such a person. However a person who is going through Anovulation can still menstruate.

For those who ovulate and fertilisation occurs and the egg fails to implant itself in the womb then the signal needed by the body to cause a stoppage of menstruation fails and menstruation occurs, shedding the womb lining and the failed egg along with it.
please read this post and tell me where I am not getting it....
let's say there was an egg that had been fertilized. The womb is an hazardous place to be without implantion. Especially during menstruation. The uterus swells, it contracts, it shed the lining that the egg would've implanted on. If the womb didn't dissolve the fertilized egg before the period, it wouldn't be in a position to stay in there ...
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by JackBizzle: 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2017
Dohgon:

I was once a humanist like you before I realized that it is the selfishness of humanity that is destroying this world. Imagine how hundreds of years ago some selfish people came into Africa and took over everything they saw for their own benifit. The only morality they had was the directive of their imaginary gods that what they were doing was right. Their moral duty was to civilize the savages. Were our ancestors savages? Is it not the decision of humans to dictate morality? Only when you begin to think for the whole of Life will you begin to respect Life.

Humanism does not support slavery or colonization. Again, read up about humanism.

Humanism pushes a kind of universal morality based on logic. Humanism respects life and human rights.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 2:02pm On Oct 02, 2017
CatfishBilly:

are you an authority on the subject...that your opinion must be respected above all
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by wirinet(m): 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2017
johnydon22:

I do believe you are also made of cells, supposed Person is still union of cells - this doesn't help at all.

As far as i know we are all cells and you wouldn't argue this makes it okay to kill us all

A person is a union of cells but a union of cells is not necessarily a person.

A foetus is not considered a legal person in any jurisdiction in the world. Even where abortion is illegal, you can only be charged for aborting a baby and not murdering a baby.

If you "kill" a baby 5mins before birth, you will be charged with abortion, if you kill a baby 5mins after birth, you will be charged with murder.

My own views is that women should have the final decisions of whether they want to keep a pregnancy or abort it, but a time limit should be allowed for the woman to decide - probably 0 to 6 weeks after conception.
The consequences of forcing unwanted babies on women and the society pose more danger on society than abortion. I have seen newly born babies floating inside the Lagos lagoon and my wife had seen a new born dumped in a refuse heap in navy town, still alive and coveted with ants. Luckily, the baby was saved.

You cannot force a woman to have a baby she does not want as punishment for sexual immorality.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 2:10pm On Oct 02, 2017
vaxx:
please read this post and tell me where I am not getting it....
let's say there was an egg that had been fertilized. The womb is an hazardous place to be without implantion. Especially during menstruation. The uterus swells, it contracts, it shed the lining that the egg would've implanted on. If the womb didn't dissolve the fertilized egg before the period, it wouldn't be in a position to stay in there ...

The error is in your last line in your comment which says "If the womb didn't dissolve the fertilized egg before the period, it wouldn't be in a position to stay in there "

The womb cannot dissolve the fertilised egg. It can only shed it. The egg itself is too tiny to be seen with the ordinary eye so I understand when you used the term "dissolve".

It is only when the egg fails to implant that it can be shed or when it does not implant properly then excessive spotting or stress on the womb can cause it to be shed which is what is termed as a miscarriage or spontaneous abortion. Why it is called a miscarriage or spontaneous abortion is because FIRST conception had already been achieved when the egg was implanted and the hormones for pregnancy released which at a test showed positive for pregnancy. Any incident that causes a shedding of the egg thereafter is known as a spontaneous abortion or a miscarriage.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2017
kiss kiss kiss kiss
wirinet:

A person is a union of cells but a union of cells is not necessarily a person.

A foetus is not considered a legal person in any jurisdiction in the world. Even where abortion is illegal, you can only be charged for aborting a baby and not murdering a baby.

If you "kill" a baby 5mins before birth, you will be charged with abortion, if you kill a baby 5mins after birth, you will be charged with murder.

My own views is that women should have the final decisions of whether they want to keep a pregnancy or abort it, but a time limit should be allowed for the woman to decide - probably 0 to 6 weeks after conception.
The consequences of forcing unwanted babies on women and the society pose more danger on society than abortion. I have seen newly born babies floating inside the Lagos lagoon and my wife had seen a new born dumped in a refuse heap in navy town, still alive and coveted with ants. Luckily, the baby was saved.

You cannot force a woman to have a baby she does not want as punishment for sexual immorality.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by JackBizzle: 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2017
johnydon22:

I do believe you are also made of cells, supposed Person is still union of cells - this doesn't help at all.

As far as i know we are all cells and you wouldn't argue this makes it okay to kill us all

I cant believe that you too have followed the felixomoron/Butterflylying method of half-truth logic.

As wirinet pointed out- a person is made up of cells but a union of cells is not necessarily a person.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

The error is in your last line in your comment which says "If the womb didn't dissolve the fertilized egg before the period, it wouldn't be in a position to stay in there "

The womb cannot dissolve the fertilised egg. It can only shed it. The egg itself is too tiny to be seen with the ordinary eye so I understand when you used the term "dissolve".

It is only when the egg fails to implant that it can be shed or when it does not implant properly then excessive spotting or stress on the womb can cause it to be shed which is what is termed as a miscarriage or spontaneous abortion. Why it is called a miscarriage or spontaneous abortion is because FIRST conception had already been achieved when the egg was implanted and the hormones for pregnancy released which at a test showed positive for pregnancy. Any incident that causes a shedding of the egg thereafter is known as a spontaneous abortion or a miscarriage.
i appreciate this.....I am not a scientist.... So my words are not technical.... I just love the science world..so permit me in my choice of word
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 02, 2017
A fetus is NOT a member of society hence doesn't have any rights, so I see nothing INSTRINSICALLY wrong in abortion. But like everything else, it's not a matter of black and white. There are grey areas, and that's where the complexities come in. I think every abortion case should be judged on its own merit. So, GENERALLY, I'm pro-abortion.

The debate on abortion is not a moral debate, because there's no point in considering abortion from a moral perspective.

Abortion is a judicial and socio-economic issue, and it is from these spheres that conclusions can be drawn on its legality or not.
Tozara

1 Like

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2017
felixomor:
Abortion is murder.
A fetus is just as good as a human being
To make matters worse, nobody speaks on behalf of the fetus.
Its like sentencing a dumb man to death because he cant talk.
Stop posting bullsh!!t! Abortion is not murder, and cannever be, because a fetus is not a person. Think like a human being for once.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Natural death is not murder. Murder is an intentional act. Any intentional abortion is a no no. Perhaps you would have loved to have been intentionally aborted or murdered as a fetus.
Another rubbish. Please tell me how abortion is murder. Is a fetus a person? Is it a member of society?

3 Likes

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2017
Felixomor and butterflyl1on are horseshit spewing blockheads who do not know the meaning of murder.

1 Like

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 2:55pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
Another rubbish. Please tell me how abortion is murder. Is a fetus a person? Is it a member of society?

This is a fetus at developmental stages. From 12 to 40 weeks it is known as a fetus. At 40 weeks can you tell me that this fetus is NOT a person?

I have attached the developmental stages picture and a lone picture of a 40 week old fetus. Tell me if the 40 week old fetus you see in the picture is a zombie or a robot and not a person

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by vaxx: 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
A fetus is NOT a member of society hence doesn't have any rights, so I see nothing INSTRINSICALLY wrong in abortion. But like everything else, it's not a matter of black and white. There are grey areas, and that's where the complexities come in. I think every abortion case should be judged on its own merit. So, GENERALLY, I'm pro-abortion.

The debate on abortion is not a moral debate, because there's no point in considering abortion from a moral perspective.

Abortion is a political and socio-economic issue, and it is from these spheres that conclusions can be drawn on its legality or not.
I welcome your opinion...

But what stage of foetal development should be associated with the right to life.?..what do you mean as member of society? Is it when foetus become full fledged human or after delivery
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
Felixomor and butterflyl1on are horseshit spewing blockheads who do not know the meaning of murder.

Simply because laws are made does not make those man made laws ALWAYS right.

When does life begin to be accounted as life? Is it at conception or at birth?

If you say it is at birth then is the baby in the womb not a living thing?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:

Abortion is a political and socio-economic issue, and it is from these spheres that conclusions can be drawn on its legality or not.

If abortion is a political and socio economic issue are grown adults not also political and socio economic issues?

Why not simply nuke us all then?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

If abortion is a political and socio economic issue are grown adults not also political and socio economic issues?

Why not simply nuke us all then?
I seriously can't make sense of this rubbish. Shouldn't the first sentence of my post you quoted have told you that I recognize a strong distinction between a fetus and these grown adults you're talking about? undecided
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 3:32pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
I seriously can't make sense of this rubbish. Shouldn't the first sentence of my post you quoted have told you that I recognize a strong distinction between a fetus and these grown adults you're talking about? undecided

Try to bridle your tongue a bit when talking. Making conscious effort at that shouldn't be a herculean task should it?

If you Wish to make sense of my comment then link it with what I said earlier. Which was

Can you solve this riddle for me?
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
Stop posting bullsh!!t! Abortion is not murder, and cannever be, because a fetus is not a person. Think like a human being for once.

Shut up fooool.
The fetus has 46 Chromosomes just like every person
The heart, respiratory system, Gastrointestinal, nervous system etc have all started forming even as early as 3rd week of life.....

If you dont know anything, shut up and learn.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Simply because laws are made does not make those man made laws ALWAYS right.

The debate is not about what "LIFE" is - plants are alive too, and so are all the animals we kill for meat. You can't use "life" as a basis for criminilizing abortion. Being alive doesn't automatically make you a human being with rights. An amoeba is alive too!

In our human society, murder only refers to the killing of HUMANS, and nothing else. So, is a fetus human? Absolutely not..... not in the actual sense of what it means to be human. So, it is absurd for you to term abortion murder.

But of course, a distinction needs to be made between a fetus and a baby. And that's where the debate comes in, and the complexity ensues. Do you now get my reason for saying that the debate on abortion is never a matter of black and white, and each instance of it should be judged purely on its own merits?

Definitely, there can be no question that abortion during the EARLIEST weeks of pregnancy cannot be in anyway considered criminal, since no one can refer to the fetus as a baby at that point. There's clearly no ambiguity in this case and nothing to argue about.

But what about later into the pregnancy? That's where it gets complex, and it is up to health experts to establish the point of transition of a fetus into a baby, and make a distinctive boundary. It's that simple.

Besides, no sane person should even be contemplating abortion when the pregnancy is already quite old, as it'll probably be more risky doing it, and whatever happens in the end can only be judged based on its own merits as well. Depending on the circumstances, the medical practitioner involved might even be convicted.

The law is not just about simplistic moral ideas, but often involves certain technicalities. I expect you to know this.
Tozara

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by felixomor: 3:42pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:

The funniest thing is you are the only block head here.
You have not the faintest idea of biology.

Nycompoop.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

This is a fetus at developmental stages. From 12 to 40 weeks it is known as a fetus. At 40 weeks can you tell me that this fetus is NOT a person?

I have attached the developmental stages picture and a lone picture of a 40 week old fetus. Tell me if the 40 week old fetus you see in the picture is a zombie or a robot and not a person
My friend, dafuq are you talking about? 40 weeks?! That should be ten months, if I'm not mistaken? Who aborts at ten months? Do you even read your own posts?

And I did say there should be a distinction between a fetus and a baby. Because a baby is human virtually in every sense of the word.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by butterflyl1on: 3:52pm On Oct 02, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
The debate is not about what "LIFE" is - plants are alive too, and so are all the animals we kill for meat. You can't use "life" as a basis for criminilizing abortion. Being alive doesn't automatically make you a human being with rights. An amoeba is alive too!

In our human society, murder only refers to the killing of HUMANS, and nothing else. So, is a fetus human? Absolutely not..... not in the actual sense of what it means to be human. So, it is absurd for you to term abortion murder.

But of course, a distinction needs to be made between a fetus and a baby. And that's where the debate comes in, and the complexity ensues. Do you now get my reason for saying that the debate on abortion is never a matter of black and white, and each instance of it should be judged purely on its own merits?

Definitely, there can be no question that abortion during the EARLIEST weeks of pregnancy cannot be in anyway considered criminal, since no one can refer to the fetus a baby at that point. There's clearly no ambiguity in this case and nothing to argue about.

But what about later into the pregnancy? That's where it gets complex, and it is up to health experts to establish the point of transition of a fetus to into a baby, and make a distinctive boundary. It's that simple.

Besides, no sane person should even be contemplating abortion when the pregnancy is already quite old, as it'll probably be more risky doing it, and whatever happens in the end can only be judged based on its own merits as well. Depending on the circumstances, the medical practitioner involved might even be convicted.

The law is not just about simplistic moral ideas, but often involves certain technicalities. I expect you to know this.

The debate is all about life. Plants do not have flesh. Animals are not homo sapiens so the issue of abortion or murder is all about life and when it actually can be termed as a human life.

Those laws you refer to are often put in place by selfish humans. Imagine if these same set of humans had foreknowledge of abortion when they were yet fetuses do you think that even they would approve their own deaths as fetuses?

Every human creature has the inherent desire to live and would fight for this right to live. Even as fetuses they fight to live. You fought to live and you succeeded. If you were to decide your own fate or you could communicate with your mother while in the womb while she was debating keeping or aborting you what do you think you would have told her?

When anyone is gasping for air it's an attempt to live. A craving for life. Anyone would fight you if they could if you tried taking their lives away. If they decide to end their own lives by themselves then they exercised their personal rights to either retain or end their existence. Besides that nobody should make this choice for anyone be they fetuses or birthed.
Re: Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 02, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Try to bridle your tongue a bit when talking. Making conscious effort at that shouldn't be a herculean task should it?

If you Wish to make sense of my comment then link it with what I said earlier. Which was

Can you solve this riddle for me?
I've answered this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / Haiti's Earth Quake Occured Because Haiti Signed A Pack With The Devil / How DNA Technology Proves The Existence Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.