Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? (12780 Views)

Why I, As An Atheist, Spend My Time Debating Religion / Bishop Oyedepo: 'If You Don't Pay Tithe, You Are Permanently A Beggar' / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:40pm On Dec 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Even the Bible put in 2 Cor 11:14 saying "
But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light". So don't be surprised by freeze antics and craftiness. I only pity many Christians that will follow him and end in the pit,by then when they realize,it will be too late.The only opportunity many of them have is on this planet to change else they end in the lake of fire
An irrelevant man trying to be relevant in an area that will swallow him up completely.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:41pm On Dec 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Even the Bible put in 2 Cor 11:14 saying "
But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light". So don't be surprised by freeze antics and craftiness. I only pity many Christians that will follow him and end in the pit,by then when they realize,it will be too late.The only opportunity many of them have is on this planet to change else they end in the lake of fire
An irrelevant man trying to be relevant.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:42pm On Dec 02, 2017
analize701:

That is some logic there. Why will she as a married woman use condoms?

Birth control measures dear...it's one of those alternatives...especially when as couples you think you don't want more kids than the ones on ground already...

But on a more serious note...you're the woman here, unless there's an effective birth control measure ladies know that I as a guy I'm not aware of...I'll be happy to know, so I won't spend on condoms when I marry grin
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:45pm On Dec 02, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Birth control measures dear...it's one of those alternatives...especially when as couples you think you don't want more kids than the ones on ground already...
Hmm.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:46pm On Dec 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

That's why we are here to refute claims from many rebels. Many persons are not studying the Bible that's why they can be easily cajoled
It shows in their responses. They are posting their mines passing them up as scriptures.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 02, 2017
OkaiCorne:

My brother...even Martin Luther was a worse rebel than Freeze, and countless generations after him are better for it. Imagine paying money (penance) for the forgiveness of your sins...

Just keep calm, after this storm...the TRUTH will surely prevail. Don't be worried over this matter.

It's because money is involved, that is why tithers and anti-tithers are passionate about this issue. But the message I've gotten from all of these is...THE GOD I SERVE IS NOT BROKE, NEITHER IS HE LIMITED TO MONEY.

I want God to move in such a way that those who do not donate to the church (even in offerings and donations) would be put to shame...
Hmmmm.It's well
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:50pm On Dec 02, 2017
analize701:

It shows in their responses. They are posting their mines passing them up as scriptures.

Wow...hope it's not us you called to this thread you're referring to o.

At least, there were scriptural references given to back our points...

For me this goes even beyond Daddy Freeze and Tithing, I've seen far beyond this, and it's gonna be a glorious ending...
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:50pm On Dec 02, 2017
OkaiCorne:

My brother...even Martin Luther was a worse rebel than Freeze, and countless generations after him are better for it. Imagine paying money (penance) for the forgiveness of your sins...

Just keep calm, after this storm...the TRUTH will surely prevail. Don't be worried over this matter.

It's because money is involved, that is why tithers and anti-tithers are passionate about this issue. But the message I've gotten from all of these is...THE GOD I SERVE IS NOT BROKE, NEITHER IS HE LIMITED TO MONEY.

I want God to move in such a way that those who do not donate to the church (even in offerings and donations) would be put to shame...
Your reasoning is so warped. Did God ask for Tithe from the Jews for himself because he was broke?

What was the intent of Tithe in the first place?

Imao.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:51pm On Dec 02, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Hmmmm.It's well

A big amen my brother. It's going to be a glorious ending. I'm not too bothered jare.

The TRUTH would always defend itself, so no wahala
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 10:52pm On Dec 02, 2017
analize701:

Your reasoning is so warped. Did God ask for Tithe from the Jews for himself because he was broke?

What was the intent of Tithe in the first place?

Imao.

First of all, take back your comment on my reasoning...so we can have a discussion like mature adults here.

We can discuss without involving unnecessary insults
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:54pm On Dec 02, 2017
OkaiCorne:

First of all, take back your comment on my reasoning...so we can have a discussion like mature adults here.

We can discuss without involving unnecessary insults
Lolzzzzzzzzzzz. Do you take offence that easily? It is your reasoning that is warped concerning this Issue, you are okay. lol
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:56pm On Dec 02, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Wow...hope it's not us you called to this thread you're referring to o.

At least, there were scriptural references given to back our points...

For me this goes even beyond Daddy Freeze and Tithing, I've seen far beyond this, and it's gonna be a glorious ending...
Lolzzz, you don't know HOW to use scriptures. All your scriptures are taken out of context. hahahahaha. Abeg make i sleep, tomorrow nah church
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 10:58pm On Dec 02, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
I am still sitting in the car, making these one or two snap responses.
Have to, as dont want the posts getting buried under other posters' submissions before I post my responses to them

Leave banter and distractions, out of this thread for now.
I'll soon step out of the car, go upstairs,
and catch up on the last few pages.
I read whilst out and about, some many faux pas posted by you, petra1 and one or two others, that rendered me face-palming and SMH
I guess we'll have to do this tomorrow then. I have kept my eyes open hoping you'd come on before i sleep.

Good night good sir.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 11:01pm On Dec 02, 2017
analize701:

Lolzzzzzzzzzzz. Do you take offence that easily? It is your reasoning that is warped concerning this Issue, you are okay. lol

I'm not offended, I just don't want others following this thread to have a negative impression of you as well.

I can see you are passionate for what you believe in...but at times, your passion could brew misunderstanding with others and put you in a negative light you never bargained for.

So for the benefits of other viewers...let's be cautious with our words going forward.

Why I stated God is not broke and He's not limited to money is;

1) If you sincerely check the fears of some "tithe" supporters, they think the church would struggle without money.

2) Some "tithers" think they are doing God or the Church a favor by paying their "tithes".

3) Some Anti-tithers also think the church would be in penury without slush 10% salaries from parishioners.

All these points to how people really pay attention to money...rather than God

And I can confidently say this...without money, God will still support the Church through (1) divine provisions and (2) wisdom instilled on His appointed Shepherds. Unless you think the stories in your Bible are fables.

Do you know why Jesus was the richest man ever?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 11:07pm On Dec 02, 2017
analize701:

Lolzzz, you don't know HOW to use scriptures. All your scriptures are taken out of context. hahahahaha. Abeg make i sleep, tomorrow nah church

Then put them in context to support the validity of "tithing" as a Christian. Thanks
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Jesusgirl92(f): 11:31pm On Dec 02, 2017
Hebrew7: 6-9

6And those descendants of Levi who receive the priestly office have a commandment in the law to take tithes from the people, that is, from their brothers, though these also are descended from Abraham.

7)But this man who does not have his descent from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.

8 ) It is beyond dispute that the inferior is blessed by the superior.

9) In the one case tithes are received by mortal men, but in the other case, by one of whom it is testified that he lives.
let's try to look at the bolded verses analize was showing us. If in one case, tithes were received by mortal men who die, but in the other case, tithes are collected by the High priest that lives forever, what does that tell us?? Think upon these things... God bless us all. Amen.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by MuttleyLaff: 5:39am On Dec 03, 2017
analize701:
I guess we'll have to do this tomorrow then
You guessed right
and by God's grace, tomorrow it shall be, for this to be continued

analize701:
I have kept my eyes open hoping you'd come on before i sleep
I pray you sleep peacefully
I am so sorry for keeping a lady waiting
but prioritizing good sleep is good self love

Tired minds don't post well.
Sleep, is when the spirit via the soul, replenishes a tired mind and body.
Sleep first, post after and better
I was in the mood to sleep,
so listened to my body and succumbed to the embracing arms and allure of beauty sleep

analize701:
Good night good sir.
Trust you had a better night,
sweet dreams, slept tight, and didnt let the bed bugs bite fair lady.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 7:18am On Dec 03, 2017
Jesusgirl92:
Hebrew7: 6-9

6And those descendants of Levi who receive the priestly office have a commandment in the law to take tithes from the people, that is, from their brothers, though these also are descended from Abraham.

7)But this man who does not have his descent from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.

8 ) It is beyond dispute that the inferior is blessed by the superior.

9) In the one case tithes are received by mortal men, but in the other case, by one of whom it is testified that he lives.
let's try to look at the bolded verses analize was showing us. If in one case, tithes were received by mortal men who die, but in the other case, tithes are collected by the High priest that lives forever, what does that tell us?? Think upon these things... God bless us all. Amen.

My dear, I've gone through those verses. But this is the question we need to reflect on.

Tithing is clearly not 10% of your gold or silver or monetary income...if this is clearly stated in the Bible...then why is the Church painting the concept of tithe to be what it's not? Tithing is not 10% of generic monetary income...what should be tithed has been clearly laid out in the Bible by God.

In all honesty, I would encourage you to still set aside a very worthy amount of money to give to the ministry of God, because it's evil to be blessed by a ministry and you give back nothing (cash or kind) in return. But please, no one should use half baked teaching on tithes to extort money from parishioners because, that is sheer deceit.

In conclusion, I still have that unshakeable belief that even if nobody pays into the church accounts, God will not sit down in Heaven with folded arms and watch an Institution He founded through Peter to fold up because of lack.

HAPPY SUNDAY TO MY BRETHREN (AND SISTHREN grin) IN TRUTH & LOVE. Do have a productive and fulfilling day at your various places of worship.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 7:32am On Dec 03, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Then put them in context to support the validity of "tithing" as a Christian. Thanks
Wait! You mean anytime you pull up a scripture which do not fit a context, i shd pull it out and replace it with a right one?

Really?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Jesusgirl92(f): 8:03am On Dec 03, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
It will be premature for Jesus to condemn tithing in Matthew 23:23 and before the victory at Calvary

Didn't you know, it will be wrong and out of order, for Jesus to condemn the Levitical tithing whilst the temple still stands and exist

Though Jesus, then was living under the jurisdiction of the law
it an eye-opener that Jesus, in Matt 23:23, was teachig new facts about tithe,
in that tithe, isnt even part of any of the weightier matters of the law

Trust me sister, if Jesus, for a casual visit, was to come back to earth here, now, momentarily, just for second, He will condem the tithing you practice.

He will frown at ecclesiastical tithe, where christian gatherings, taxes its members tenth, 1/10, 10% and possibly 0.1 too, of their financial income

He will ask:
Do you know what the gospel means and is?
Gospel means good news
and it typifies FREEDOM, from any type or form of obligatory or imposed tithing.

I earlier said:
"if you are an artisan, you don't pay tithe".
then asked you:
"Do you know the reason why?"

I then qualified my question, when further I asked:
"If you are an OT artisan, do you know why you aren't required to give or pay tithe?"

If you had responded to any of them, you won't be asking this your question

No offense sister,
but it does sound like a rookie question.
If tithe did not originate from the law, then it should transcend it. Don't you agree??
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 8:22am On Dec 03, 2017
MuttleyLaff:
You guessed right
and by God's grace, tomorrow it shall be, for this to be continued

I pray you sleep peacefully
I am so sorry for keeping a lady waiting
but prioritizing good sleep is good self love

Tired minds don't post well.
Sleep, is when the spirit via the soul, replenishes a tired mind and body.
Sleep first, post after and better
I was in the mood to sleep,
so listened to my body and succumbed to the embracing arms and allure of beauty sleep

Trust you had a better night,
sweet dreams, slept tight, and didnt let the bed bugs bite fair lady.
Good morning servant of God.

A quick one before i go to Church.
Let me not say the Holy Spirit asked me this, maybe i thought it. But, this thoughts came to me this morning as i woke up.

Was every Jew paying Tithe when Jesus was growing in Judea, began his ministry until he was killed? Like Jesus indicated in Matt23:23, the Jews prided themselves on paying Tithe of the least thing they had.
They were pedantic about it because they thought these ordinances justified them before God (They didnt).

Those who taught in the Synagogues (the Pharisees) neglected other ordinances which Christ said they shouldn't have. (Doing all was good)

This goes to say that, every Jew (Jesus and his disciples at the time followed the Jewish ordinances, or didn't they?) paid Tithe to their priests.

Any one who says Jesus didn't pay Tithe because he did not record it, will be calling Jesus a disobedient law breaker. But, He was never accused of any misdemeanor with regards to Temple practices.

If these Jews (Jesus included), kept to all their Jewish Ordinances, which Tithing was one, at what point did they stop Paying their Tithes?

Or did they stop Paying before Jesus called them?

that will mean Jesus never paid Tithe. And if Jesus never paid Tithe, the Pharisees would have been on his case on that (No mention of it).

Did they stop Paying Tithe as they kept following Jesus? (The things His disciples didn't do 'again' as they followed Jesus were noticed and talked about even by John the Baptist's disciples).

Was it after Jesus had died that his followers stopped Paying Tithe? But there was no teaching opposing that.

Did the Jewish disciples of Christ Continued their Ordinances since their Master never condemn it?

Why do we say Tithe paying was no longer necessary in the New Covenant?

But the Holy Spirit told us that, the custodians of the New Covenants (namely Melchizedek/Christ) are the initiators of Tithing.

My question good sir is, at what point in the Jewdo-Christian history did Tithe paying stop?

Let's also look at Taxes.
My opinion is that, if the issue of Tax paying didn't come up as it did, today Christians will resist paying Taxes because it was not recorded that Jesus paid Tax.

If the Jews didn't come to Jesus with the sole intent of traping Him and inciting the government against Him, He would ve quietly paid his tax and no one wld ve known he did, and we will be here fighting the government because our Master did not pay Tax, so we won't. Do you get my point?

2 Likes

Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 8:24am On Dec 03, 2017
analize701:

Wait! You mean anytime you pull up a scripture which do not fit a context, i shd pull it out and replace it with a right one?

Really?

My dear, I have quoted scriptures which you said it's out of context. Kindly put these scriptures in the right context to support the validity of "tithing" currently done in today's churches.

Matthew 25 vs 31-46 clearly states something on judgment, and I can't see tithes in there...

Thank you.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by analize701: 12:16pm On Dec 03, 2017
OkaiCorne:

My dear, I have quoted scriptures which you said it's out of context. Kindly put these scriptures in the right context to support the validity of "tithing" currently done in today's churches.

Matthew 25 vs 31-46 clearly states something on judgment, and I can't see tithes in there...

Thank you.
I may begin to ignore any post you just drop chapters and verses of scriptures without quoting them out. So i'll have to open my Bible every time i'm having a discussion with you?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Jesusgirl92(f): 12:21pm On Dec 03, 2017
OkaiCorne:

Thank you.
seriously it's becoming more obvious that you'd rather do that which you agree with and disregard every other one that doesn't appeal to you.... That, my friend is very dangerous. All the best in your quest to find your so called Truth.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
Double Post...
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
Jesusgirl92:
seriously it's becoming more obvious that you'd rather do that which you agree with and disregard every other one that doesn't appeal to you.... That, my friend is very dangerous. All the best in your quest to find your so called Truth.

It's not rocket science dear, the discussion Jesus had with the Pharisees in Matthew 23, did you know that the law was still in full force and unfulfilled by Jesus at that point in time?

Did you know that Tithes and animal sacrifice were still ongoing? In that context, if you want to "obey all" as Jesus told the Pharisees...why aren't you doing animal sacrifice?

If you aren't doing it, can you tell us why? If you say Jesus has fulfilled the Law...is tithing not one of it?

And lastly, is the Church of today tithing in the way God wants us to?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by Jesusgirl92(f): 3:53pm On Dec 03, 2017
OkaiCorne:

It's not rocket science dear, the discussion Jesus had with the Pharisees in Matthew 23, did you know that the law was still in full force and unfulfilled by Jesus at that point in time?

Did you know that Tithes and animal sacrifice were still ongoing? In that context, if you want to "obey all" as Jesus told the Pharisees...why aren't you doing animal sacrifice?

If you aren't doing it, can you tell us why? If you say Jesus has fulfilled the Law...is tithing not one of it?

And lastly, is the Church of today tithing in the way God wants us to?
We already know that tithes didn't originate from the Law so why are you talking the law again?? No vex o, but your matter don tire me.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2017
Jesusgirl92:
We already know that tithes didn't originate from the Law so why are you talking the law again?? No vex o, but your matter don tire me.

My dear, even animal sacrifices (which still works in the spiritual realm) didn't originate from the Law, but we don't practise that in the new covenant so...what exactly are you saying again?
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 6:00pm On Dec 03, 2017
Meanwhile, TB Joshua of SCOAN and D.K. Olukoya of MFM have confessed to the fact that "tithing" is not compulsory.

But advised that we should trust God with our finances (I totally agree to this)

The TRUTH is coming out gradually.

https://www.nairaland.com/4212315/tithing-not-compulsory-d.k-olukoya

It seems certain MOG are now telling the truth on "tithing". See what D.K. Olukoya said;
" There is nowhere in the Bible where it is written that tithing and giving offering is compulsory .But if you want to trust God with your finances you should even strive to do more than the tithe "

This was a part of the message of the G.O of MFM Ministries this morning at the international headquarters.

The TRUTH shall surely prevail!
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by OkaiCorne(m): 6:05pm On Dec 03, 2017
analize701:

I may begin to ignore any post you just drop chapters and verses of scriptures without quoting them out. So i'll have to open my Bible every time i'm having a discussion with you?

MATTHEW 25 Vs 31-46

The Sheep and the Goats
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne.

32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me
.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,

43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

I have checked these verses...and it doesn't state that God would check anyone's tithe payment records...rather, your LOVE for God expressed through charitable courses to Humanity (with a good motive - i.e. giving glory to God and showing the unconditional love of Jesus) is what qualifies you for the Kingdom of Heaven.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by spongeisback: 6:57am On Dec 04, 2017
petra1:

Jacob was a child of Abraham also but still gave tithes .without going to battle
evidence that Jacob redeem his vow.
Re: Should I, As A Christian Pay Tithe? by petra1(m): 8:32am On Dec 04, 2017
spongeisback:
evidence that Jacob redeem his vow.

He did

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye Calls For 1000 Prayer Volunteers To Pray For Nigeria, World / Did You Know That By Eating 'snails' You Are Committing A Grave Sin Against God / Absolute Proof Of God's Existence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.