Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. (7739 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 1:53pm On Mar 31, 2010
seyenko:

[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]The answer is found in the parable of the good Samaritan[/size][/size][/size]

The parable is found in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 10, verses 25-37.

The parable goes;

One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: “Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?” The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” “Right!” Jesus told him. “Do this and you will live!” The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

Jesus then replied with a story:

“A Jewish man was travelling on a trip from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he was attacked by bandits. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him up, and left him half dead beside the road. By chance a priest (senior tithe collector) came along. But when he saw the man lying there, he crossed to the other side of the road and passed him by. A Levite (tithe collector) walked over and looked at him lying there, but he also passed by on the other side. Then a despised Samaritan came along, and when he saw the man, he felt compassion for him. Going over to him, the Samaritan soothed his wounds with olive oil and wine and bandaged them. Then he put the man on his own donkey and took him to an inn, where he took care of him. The next day he handed the innkeeper two silver coins, telling him, ‘Take care of this man. If his bill runs higher than this, I’ll pay you the next time I’m here.’ “Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked. The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.” Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.

Brilliant and precise submission, i believe it precisely speaks the mind of Jesus concerning the topic. It also emphasizes how important it is to help those in need as Jesus actually taught it as a way of showing love to your neigh bours which would then secure you a place in heaven. Meaning helping others is key to our salvation. Unlike the scam called tithes which is not required of christians and is just being used to feed the greed of some charlatans.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by arowolo888: 8:33pm On Mar 31, 2010
Do you mean people are still decieved with this tithe of a thing?
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by eghosaobas: 10:10am On Apr 01, 2010
Yes ooo
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 11:31am On Apr 01, 2010
Ok i want a single sincere and honest christian here on NL to come out and boldly write why HE/SHE feels the act of Tithing is evil/obsolete or abolished. And pls back your points with Scritpural references.

Maybe i could be a convert!
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by InesQor(m): 11:46am On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-T nobody ever said it is evil/obsolete/abolished.

What we, or at least I, have been saying is that people should stop paying tithes out of fear of condemnation, or fear of loss of their salvation, or fear of incurring a curse, while their pastors spread the fear and smile to the bank.

Tithe should be properly understood, and WHEN it is understood, given willingly and lovingly. NOT NECESSARILY or COMPULSORILY.

[size=18pt]That said, paying tithe or not is like choosing to fast on Good Friday or not.[/size]

If I choose to fast, I know what I will gain from it. If I choose not to fast, I won't get into trouble with God for that.

God can tell me to fast on Good Friday, and in that case I will do so out of obedience.

It is not by force, but if you want it, go ahead and do it.

It's a private agreement between you and God.

C'est finis.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 12:21pm On Apr 01, 2010
InesQor:

Tonye-T nobody ever said it is evil/obsolete/abolished.

What we, or at least I, have been saying is that people should stop paying tithes out of fear of condemnation, or fear of loss of their salvation, or fear of incurring a curse, while their pastors spread the fear and smile to the bank.

[size=14pt]Tithe should be properly understood, and WHEN it is understood, given willingly and lovingly. NOT NECESSARILY or COMPULSORILY[/size].

That said, paying tithe or not is like choosing to fast on Good Friday or not.

If I choose to fast, I know what I will gain from it. If I choose not to fast, I won't get into trouble with God for that.

God can tell me to fast on Good Friday, and in that case I will do so out of obedience.

It is not by force, but if you want it, go ahead and do it.

It's a private agreement between you and God.

C'est finis.

For my long stay in this section, i have come to see a sincere person who really spewed wisdom. God bless you InesQor

I asked that question above, because some sentimental or would i rather say biaised folks here come outrightly to say the practise of Tithing is EVIL, not only evil , they say its also an obsolete act and as such should be abolished.

And when asked to explain why they feel so, their baseless excuses are

- because Oyedepo uses his members tithes to fly a private jet

- because Daddy GO has millionaires club

- because Creflo Dollars ate all the money/tithes Holyfield gave to the formers ministry whilst a member a

and other baseless excuses. And i wondered, what has Oyedepo's use of money(s) got to do with my simple obedience of an act? What concerns me if Daddy GO uses peoples tithes to float a millionaires club or am i tithing to them or to God?

For all i care, if Jesus said i should practise an act, then it is my prerogative to foster the act regarldless of what "fake" shepherds do to abuse the act, my responsiblity is to pray the HolySpirit gives me direction to give this money to the right places where i can be blessed in turn according to God's promise.

First, the Anti-tithers made folks believe that Tithing was a Law, and that since Jesus came to "abolish"(like they put it) the law, meant tithe should no longer be practise.

I have gone thru' scriptures both OT and NT, and am yet to find a single passage that says "TITHING HAS BEEN ABOLISHED", again never ever was it recorded in the scriptures that Tithing was a Law, so therefore why should we destroy a custom that never began with the Law. Does it make sense?

Ok, i asked all those who opposed tithing to show me passages in the scriptures that says i should not tithe, and the keep silent or divert the topic, maybe for fear of their ignorance or sentiments i dont know.

They turned back to ask me to provide scriptures to buttress why i think the act is still valid and i came up with study outline in the first post of the thead Who says Tithing is not New testamental? , and they tagged me " A greek monger" fine i am a greek monger but atleast my expeditions paid-off.

Anyone who comes up here to say Tithing is as good as dead, should be wise as a Christian and come up with proper and clear/explicit scriptures to buttress such claim. Period!

This is where i love from your post:

Tithe should be properly understood, and WHEN it is understood, given willingly and lovingly. NOT NECESSARILY or COMPULSORILY.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 12:22pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-t:

Ok i want a single sincere and honest christian here on NL to come out and boldly write why HE/SHE feels the act of Tithing is evil/obsolete or abolished. And pls back your points with Scritpural references.

Maybe i could be a convert!

What i think should be addressed in the first instance is this:

*Is there any sound basis or instruction for tithing to christians in the bible?
*Or better still is there anywhere in the bible where christians or even Jews where asked to tithe form their monetary income? [the argument that agricultural produce was their income does not hold as there is enough evidence in the bible that people wereearning monetary income as far back as the book of genesis].
*Is it right for so called men of god to twist God's word by changing agircultural produce used for tithes in the levitical priesthood to money and applying it to the priesthood of Christ when no such requirement is made in the bible. Even when the bible makes it clear that levitical priesthood/tithing has been anulled becos of it's weakness and uselessness, is it right for mere men to try and force it back into christianity under false pretext?
*lets even assume that it is ok for christians to tithe, how come the type of tithing being preached today is totally different from biblical tithing were the tither eats of his tithe with his family and shares it with orphans, widows strangers and lastly the levites?[deut 14:22-29]
*How come our greedy clergy gives the unbiblical wrong impression that it is their exclusive preserve?
Are our preachers today qualified to be labelled as levites whom the biblical tithe was meant to support?
*If so why are they not giving up their right to own property as that was the basis that qualified the levites to accept tithes in the first instance? Is this not a case of eating your cake and still having it?
*If christians are meant to tithe how come neither Jesus nor any of the apostles taught it to nay of their followers [matthew 23:23 was being addressed to pharisees who were under the law and NOT christians], how come tithing didn't not surface in christianity until after 500 years when the catholic church needed money and decided to fleece to flock by twisting scripture?

If you are able to answer any of those questions rightly you would realize that tithing the way it is preached and practised today is wrong and of no sound biblical basis. Tithing in it self is not a wrong or evil practise what is wrong and evil is the manipulation of scriptures by preachers to deceive people that tithing is compulsary for them as christians thereby creating an impression that salvation is not free.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by ogajim(m): 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^ Don't mind these guys jare! I doubt they will see reason on MONETARY sections of the law or practice of tithing.
As the Bible clearly stated:

Hebrews 7:18-21 (King James Version)

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by eghosaobas: 12:41pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye did i just read your post that you ve read both old and new testament and still you jumpdd Deu 22:14 and Deu 26,i cant imagine the type of half baked christain you are. I dont want to believe you are one of those wayo pastors.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 12:51pm On Apr 01, 2010
KunleOshob:

If you are able to answer any of those questions rightly you would realize that tithing the way it is preached and practised today is wrong and of no sound biblical basis. [size=15pt]Tithing in it self is not a wrong or evil practise[/size] what is wrong and evil is the manipulation of scriptures by preachers to deceive people that tithing is compulsary for them as christians thereby creating an impression that salvation is not free.

Good!

This is what is rather excepted from you, when you contribute on issues of tithes, make sure and boldened to inform folks here that the ACT ITSELF IS NOT BAD, and that what you are against is the way fake shepherds fleece and deceive their flocks. And i'll respect you for that. simple!

because for the best part of this section, you have been spreading the evil info that the practise's been abolished and that preachers uses it to deceive their flocks. which you and I know that a thousand folks come here to be informed and the read these lies from your posts and go on with the fake crusade.

Foster this claim : . Tithing in it self is not a wrong or evil practise (Like you said up here) and i'll see a honorable KunleOshob or else you should come up with scriptural passages to stand your case next time u later change your point or claim. cheers!
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 12:54pm On Apr 01, 2010
@Tonye
Even though i know you know that tithing was part of the Jewsih laws and you choose to ignore that fact since we've been through the argument before for the benefit of others reading the thread i would quote biblical passages that states clearly that tithing is a part of the obsolete jewish laws.

Matthew 23:23:

23Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Hebrews 7:5:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Deuteronomy 26:12-16:

12When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;

13Then thou shalt say before the LORD thy God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of mine house, and also have given them unto the Levite, and unto the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all thy commandments which thou hast commanded me: I have not transgressed thy commandments, neither have I forgotten them.

14I have not eaten thereof in my mourning, neither have I taken away ought thereof for any unclean use, nor given ought thereof for the dead: but I have hearkened to the voice of the LORD my God, and have done according to all that thou hast commanded me.

15Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven, and bless thy people Israel, and the land which thou hast given us, as thou swarest unto our fathers, a land that floweth with milk and honey.

16This day the LORD thy God hath commanded thee to do these [b]statutes [/b]and judgments: thou shalt therefore keep and do them with all thine heart, and with all thy soul.

As i suspect your English comprehension is deliberately poor, the word "statutes" also means laws likewise the word commandments in verse 13
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 1:05pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-t:

Good!

This is what is rather excepted from you, when you contribute on issues of tithes, make sure and boldened to inform folks here that the ACT ITSELF IS NOT BAD, and that what you are against is the way fake shepherds fleece and deceive their flocks. And i'll respect you for that. simple!

because for the best part of this section, you have been spreading the evil info that the practise's been abolished and that preachers uses it to deceive their flocks. which you and I know that a thousand folks come here to be informed and the read these lies from your posts and go on with the fake crusade.

Foster this claim : . Tithing in it self is not a wrong or evil practise (Like you said up here) and i'll see a honorable KunleOshob or else you should come up with scriptural passages to stand your case next time u later change your point or claim. cheers!

Mr man stop deceiving yourself you and i know that most preachers preach tithing from Malachi 3:10 [based on the obsolete jewish law] and they mostly preach it has compulsary. What is obsolete is tithing based on the law which is what our greedy preachers preach. out side the law it was an ancient babylonian custom which Abraham practised once, this is of no consequence to christians as it is just a babylonian custom of pagan origins. Titihing was not part of the apostolic teachings hence it is not a part of true christianity and should NEVER be preached as such else you would be guilty of twisting the gospel of our lord Jesus christ which never included tithing. If preachers genuinely need to raise funds on a regullar basis from people's income then they ought to tell people the undiluted truth and leave people to decide wether they want to give or not, they should not be using threats of curses and delusions of blessings to extort money from people, they should also make sure that majority of the collections they make is used to do charitable works as that was the example set for us by the apostles
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Enigma(m): 1:15pm On Apr 01, 2010
All the questions that people still thinking that "tithing" is a requirement or even desirable have been answered again and again and again and again . . . . . People keep to the "tithing" false doctrine out of ignorance, superstition, material greed/desire or because they are thieving beneficiaries of the whole scam ok scheme.

1. Tithing as money

A. Tithing of money was actually frowned upon in the OT. Firstly, tithing of livestock was specific to the tenth animal under the rod; no debate; not number 11; not number 9 ---- indeed if you only had 9 livestock, then there was no "tithing" as it had to be the tenth.

B. Tithing of agricultural produce was not supposed to be done in money; if for some reason the tither chose to do it in money, he was subject to a penalty or a fine for doing so. (Those who don't believe this haven't studied tithing in the Bible)

C. In the one instance that substitution of money for agricultural produce, not based on tither's outright choice with penalty, was allowed ---- the tither was told firstly to sell the tithes and secondly, more crucially, to spend the money to jollify himself! Again, those who don't believe this haven't studied tithing in the Bible)

2. Tithing under the Law of Moses

This has certainly been abolished together with the Mosaic law and the type of priesthood on which it was based. This much is clear from reading Hebrews 7.

3. Tithing done by Abraham

It was voluntary, not commanded by God and not compulsory or a requirement. Also, Abraham gave Melchisedec a "tithe" (a) from spoils of war and not from Abraham's own property per se and (b) it was done after Melchisedec had already blessed Abraham ---- not with a hope of being blessed in the future.

Crucially, Abraham is recorded as having given a tithe only on this one occasion. Otherwise, when else, how frequently and to whom did Abraham give (or for that matter "pay) a tithe?

4. Jacob

We know he promised to give a tithe. The Bible does not say whether or not he fulfilled the promise. Like with Abraham, when else, how frequently and to whom did Jacob give (or for that matter "pay"wink a tithe?

5. Jesus

Firstly, unless He cultivated livestock and engaged in agriculture there would have been no need for Him to "pay" the Mosaic tithe. The only trade we associate with Him is carpentry and carpenters were not required to "pay tithes" from carpentry. It is safer to say that He did not Himself "pay tithes" than to argue from silence that He did.

Secondly, Jesus did NOT teach His disciples to "tithe"; the one passage of Matthew 23:23 (and its equivalent) that is cited was actually a rebuke to pharisees who used to try and make a show of their "righteousness" by "paying" tithes on even the smallest things ---- like someone "paying tithes" on Okra, egusi or bitter leaf.

Jesus DID however, show how we should give to HIM; guess what, it was not by "tithes" but rather by feeding the hungry, visiting the prisoner, clothing those who need clothes ---- basically helping the poor and needy. Whereas today's tithe-mongers tell you to do the opposite. The tithe-mongers tell you to contradict the teachings of Jesus Himself ------ like the RCCG who say tithing is exclusively for pastors and that only offerings are to be used to help the needy. It is false teaching of course --- and only goes to support private jets whereas the people that Jesus said you should not neglect ----- are neglected. In fact, an example is that of the OP ----- debating whether to give money to someone who needs it for hospital treatment or to give it to some "pastor" as "tithes". Sheer nonsense!

6. The Apostles

Let any tithe-monger point to one, just one, example of an apostle in the Bible instructing or requiring Christians to tithe. Rather the apostle James taught the same things as Jesus that true religion (i.e. true Christianity) is to take care of the poor, the widow and the orphan.

The teaching of Jesus and the apostles is very straightforward: if you REALLY want to give to Jesus, then give to the widow, the orphan, the poor and the needy then see if your Father in heaven will not reward you.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by aletheia(m): 1:24pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^Excellent summation, but I fear that the tithemongers will not yield their traditions which they teach as commandments of God.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^ KunleOshob,

God forbid! I have never known tithe to be a jewish law so dont be rather confused.

You're snaring yourself all the more with your poor grasp of proper and simple english, maybe for your obsessed biases or something else. Safe for now.

I have always mentioned it here that the Tithe practised by the Israelites after that of the Partriachs were administrative tithes. In Java programming, we believe a class could have another instance of a class, but the original class should/must exist for the new instance class to be valid.

- The original tithing began with Abraham and was called "ma'aser", meaning the giving of a tenth portion of one's possession( which could gold, silver, diamond(all which were the monies used in ancient times) as well as agricultural produce) as honor to a deity.

- The later tithing which began with the law of moses was the "ma'aser terumah" was instituted telling them what and what they to give, and this was because God did not allow them to trade with foreigners in the wilderness advent.

Now let me rather correct you.

- Matthew 23:23 - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Correction: If tithing were a law, Jesus would have said . . ."have omitted the weightier matters which is the law". The term "of" is a preposition used to join/relate two families/bases together.

(i.e matters + law = matters of the law),

not

( matters + law = law) Do you understand?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Hebrews 7:5 - And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Correction: If tithing were a law, then the author of Hebrew would have said . . ."have a commandment to take tithes of the people as a law. The word "according" is an adverb which means "in proportion to". Therefore, to have had that word in the sentence meant that the levites were to take tithes according to how the law of moses assigned them to.

(i.e according + law = according to the law),

not

( according + law = law) Do you understand?

KunleOshob, stop sentiments, you know the truth deep inside you, but pride will not allow you concede to the truth. Dont be afraid, you'll not lose your honor in this section.

cheers!
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 1:33pm On Apr 01, 2010
I wish i could reply that guys posts up - up - here , but he keeps avoiding my replies. So let me stay clear since he could have nothing to say/prove as usual. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by ogajim(m): 1:56pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-tithe, Dude, what has java got to do with Jesus Christ?

What does it mean to you when Jesus said he had come to "Fulfill" the law?

Since I fish in the summers and maintain a vegetable and fruits garden in my backyard, do you guys need my money or I can pay with fish and produce?

I won't be surprised on tonye-tithe lectures us on C++ or another 5GL in his response despite the fact that he is wrong on both logic and syntax cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You have fouled out of this game buddy wink
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 2:03pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^ On a serious note, try and act like a grown up at least for once. The best u should do is sit back and observe. cheers!
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by ogajim(m): 2:28pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^ I won't even try to speculate your age but you really should take a time out while you still have the option. You are far behind in this game and insults seem like desperate jumpers ( Reminds me of Hakeem taking Shaquille to school in '95)

I guess supporting/partaking (in) a scam makes you a "grown up"
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 2:29pm On Apr 01, 2010
@Tonye
No matter how much you try to distort scripture tithing was a part of the Jewish law and it is tithing based or law that criminals preach in churches today as compulsary. The tithe Abraham paid was not compulsary or mandated, he did it of his own volition based on the customs of the babylonian people [where he came from] of that time. It had no religious undertone neither was it instructed by God so any pastor that wants to justify compulsary tithing today by that one off voluntary act of Abraham to the King of Salem based on pagan babylonian traditions is not only a charlatan but a crooked one at that.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 01, 2010
Who is talking about compulsory tithing here. What matters is that you have attestd to the FACT that tithing is still relevant and that is enough for moi. grin grin
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 2:57pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-t:

Who is talking about compulsory tithing here. What matters is that you have attestd to the FACT that tithing is still relevant and that is enough for moi. grin grin

Tithing is clearly NOT relevant to christianity else the apostles would have taught it to the early christian converts and i NEVER attested that tithing is still relevant as it is a man made doctrine concorted to feed the greed of a few.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 3:04pm On Apr 01, 2010
KunleOshob:

Tithing is clearly NOT relevant to christianity else the apostles would have taught it to the early christian converts and i NEVER attested that tithing is still relevant as it is a man made doctrine concorted to feed the greed of a few.

But at least the testator of the New covenant taught it, and that's all that matters for me.

Matt.23:23 - Jesus said to them, practise mercy, practise faithfulness, practise justice and[b] i say do not neglect to practise tithing[/b]. (HEPV).

It was Jesus himself who made this statement so i dont think i need paul, peter or any other to emphasis or over-emphasize on that simple word. cheers!
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 3:11pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-t:

But at least the testator of the New covenant taught it, and that's all that matters for me.

Matt.23:23 - Jesus said to them, practise mercy, practise faithfulness, practise justice and[b] i say do not neglect to practise tithing[/b]. (HEPV).

It was Jesus himself who made this statement so i dont think i need paul, peter or any other to emphasis or over-emphasize on that simple word. cheers!

Jesus himself practised the Jewish religion based on the levitical priesthood and he was talking with pharisees under the levitical system who were bound by those obsolete laws. besides they didn't tithe money but herbs and spices tongue I thank God for the gift of Jesus that has set us free from such oppression. Anyone who chooses to remain in bondage is free to remain there.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 3:15pm On Apr 01, 2010
You see confusion, If that passage was only for the jews and doesnt apply to others, then i might as well say that when Jesus made the teaching of the beatitudes also he was ONLY teaching the Jews as well and not us as well as all the teachings he made in the NT. How does that sound to you. silly i guess?

KunleOshob! *shakes head*
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by eghosaobas: 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye why are you getting yourself confused? There are so many laws and commandment in the old testament, can you tell me why you people decided to smuggled only tithing into today's life?
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 3:31pm On Apr 01, 2010
Tonye-t:

You see confusion, If that passage was only for the jews and doesnt apply to others, then i might as well say that when Jesus made the teaching of the beatitudes also he was ONLY teaching the Jews as well and not us as well as all the teachings he made in the NT. How does that sound to you. silly i guess?

KunleOshob! *shakes head*

@Tonye 419

Evidently you have very little understanding of the scriptures else you would not be comparing the sermon on the mount with Jesus castigation of the pharisees. Matthew 23:23 was not a teaching on tithes but primarily to castigate the pharisees like our preachers today. He only mentioned tithes in relevance to their laws and practises back then which are clearly not relevant to us.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by seyenko(m): 4:07pm On Apr 01, 2010
I think the problem we have with tithing is that we are not taken a holistic look and what Moses wrote across the 5 books of Moses called - The Laws and the Prophet. If you read thru these books you will see that God ordained the Israelites to obey several commandments, statutes, laws, regulations, offering and ordinances . The Jews to whom these Laws and Prophet were targeted at call them collectively ' The Mitzvots", there are 613 of them spread across the 5 books of Moses.

At these point let me give an analogy - if you have a set of jigsaw puzzles which you are not familiar with the image that makes up the puzzle. You must understand that you need to arrange and put together all the pieces to see the global picture and not the myopic picture. In other words you wouldn't know the outcome until you put the pieces together.

Now tithing is just a piece of the puzzle that makes up the Laws and the Prophets. And Christ and the Apostles made the following statements pertaining to the Laws and the Prophets in the new testament:

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matthew 7:12 "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 22:40 "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Romans 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.

Romans 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Galatians 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ

Galatians 3:23–25 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24 So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Ephesians 2:15 by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace,

Romans 10:4 Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree

Hebrews 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded
them not, saith the Lord.

By these the entire Laws and the Prophets were fulfilled and abolished by Christ. So the issue of picking one law - tithing and leaving the other 612 abolished is superfluous else you will have to obey the entire Laws and Prophet and that makes you a Jew and not a Christian.

Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by pstbolanta: 9:32am On Apr 02, 2010
Tonye t,you are missing the point,i am sure you are one of these jobless pastors that have decided to make it by all means.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by aletheia(m): 10:12am On Apr 02, 2010
@Tonye-t, you are so confused. . .with a poor grasp of English. Even the words you write argue against your position.
Tonye-t:

^^^ KunleOshob,

God forbid! [color=#990000]I have never known tithe to be a jewish law
so dont be rather confused.

You're snaring yourself all the more with your poor grasp of proper and simple english, maybe for your obsessed biases or something else. Safe for now.
. . .
- The later tithing which began with the law of moses was the "ma'aser terumah" was instituted telling them what and what they to give, and this was because God did not allow them to trade with foreigners in the wilderness advent.

Now let me rather correct you.

- Matthew 23:23 - Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Correction: If tithing were a law, Jesus would have said . . ."have omitted the weightier matters which is the law". The term "of" is a preposition used to join/relate two families/bases together.

(i.e matters + law = matters of the law),

not

( matters + law = law) Do you understand?

What disjointed drivel is this? Are you among the 98% that failed English in NECO recently? If I say Tonye-t is of Nigeria, what does it tell you? Since you cannot scripturally show that tithing is not Law, you now resort to semantic obfuscation. This may work for your gullible congregation but not on this forum.
What is the difference between Matters of the Law and the Law. Or to put it in simple terms for you, what is the difference between Nigerians and People of Nigeria.

And your illogicality is displayed further below where, you repeat the same argument as above in an attempt to befuddle. It is possible that you have a tenuous grasp of logic and English and perhaps that is why you can't seem to get it that tithes belong under the old covenant, abolished by Christ.

Tonye-t:

- Hebrews 7:5 - And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Correction: If tithing were a law, then the author of Hebrew would have said . . ."have a commandment to take tithes of the people as a law. The word "according" is an adverb which means "in proportion to". Therefore, to have had that word in the sentence meant that the levites were to take tithes according to how the law of moses assigned them to.

(i.e according + law = according to the law),

not

( according + law = law) Do you understand?

Stop trying to live under the Law, man.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by InesQor(m): 10:31am On Apr 02, 2010
@Aletheia: LOL Thanks for helping Tonye to de-obfuscate his own logic. As I read that post of his, it got to a point where I just scrolled down lazily to the next post because it was making absolutely no sense and at my time of reading, it was night where I live and my mind was very tired cheesy

For a brief moment I felt like it must be olabowale in disguise but I waved the thought aside grin
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by ttalks(m): 10:32am On Apr 02, 2010
I really wonder how some people view God to be. It's like they view him as one horrible task master
that would smash his whip on your backside the moment you step out of line.

Let's say for instance, that tithing is compulsory(which it isn't), would God be mad at you for using it to take care of a sick friend?
Come on. . . . . . . . . angry

People should try and understand that it is our relationship with our fellow men that highlights or pinpoints our relationship with God.
When we love and care for our neighbours,we fulfil the law of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Prophet Of Allah / Yoruba gods In Human Form. / Atheism Is A Mental Illness :charles Darwin, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Henry Huxley

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.