Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,337 members, 7,815,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:13 PM

What Is God? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God? (9857 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:30pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Logos in the Bible got his translation from a Hebrew word.

Please step out of your Bible. Logos did not start with the Bible, nor did the idea of logos start in Hebrew.

The Greeks and Egyptians were logoing long before John stole it for his gospel.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:31pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Please step out of your Bible. Logos did not start with the Bible, nor did the idea of logos start in Hebrew.

The Greeks and Egyptians were logoing long before John stole it for his gospel.

Jesus started in the Bible. Why are you relating a Greek word to the Hebrew Bible?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:33pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

While calling logos, don’t forget about rhema too..
How did you arrive at relating logos to Jesus, is it not from the New Testament, did you read about Jesus from Greek?

Heraclitus wrote extensively about logos. And while it may be common for Nigerian education to start with God and Bible, some of us were fortunate to not have that sort of education.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Heraclitus
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:34pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Heraclitus wrote extensively about logos. And while it may be common for Nigerian education to start with God and Bible, some of us were fortunate to not have that sort of education.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Heraclitus
Did Heraclitus write about Jesus? Did he relate Jesus to logos? So where did you get the connection if not from Hebrew bible?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:35pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Jesus started in the Bible. Why are you relating a Greek word to the Hebrew Bible?

I did not do the relating. John did in his prologue, which he borrowed from Heraclitus who knew neither Yahweh nor Jesus.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:35pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I did not do the relating. John did in his prologue, which he borrowed from Heraclitus who knew neither Yahweh nor Jesus.

John wrote a book in New Testament a continuation from Old Testament.. the John that wrote that verse was he alive when Jesus was?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:40pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Did Heraclitus write about Jesus? Did he relate Jesus to logos? So where did you get the connection if not from Hebrew bible?
The Hebrew Bible has a lot of godification in it that was not present in Greek philosophy. Kill God, and you might understand what I'm saying.

In the link posted, you'd see logos referred to as reason, and not just word, as some claim. You'd also see the origin for the Idea expressed in John's prologue. Once you've read both the connection would be made.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:41pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

The Hebrew Bible has a lot of godification in it that was not present in Greek philosophy. Kill God, and you might understand what I'm saying.

In the link posted, you'd see logos referred to as reason, and not just word, as some claim. You'd also see the origin for the Idea expressed in John's prologue. Once you've read both the connection would be made.

It is that same Hebrew Bible with all the godification that Jesus come from. Jesus was a Hebrew he didn’t speak Greek, non of his disciples did.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:42pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

John wrote a book in New Testament a continuation from Old Testament.. the John that wrote that verse was he alive when Jesus was?

john did not write a book in the New Testament!

It was put together by many authors over many decades long after Jesus is written to have been dead.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:43pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

john did not write a book in the New Testament!

It was put together by many authors over many decades long after Jesus is written to have been dead.

Who are these authors that you are basing your knowledge on Jesus? So you agree now, that logos is not Paul statement?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:45pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

It is that same Hebrew Bible with all the godification that Jesus come from. Jesus was a Hebrew he didn’t speak Greek, non of his disciples did.

The writers of the gospel spoke Koine Greek, and that was what the New Testament was written in with lots of Greek philosophy.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:46pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

The writers of the gospel spoke Koine Greek, and that was what the New Testament was written in with lots of Greek philosophy.

The New Testament is a continuation of Greek philosophy or Old Testament? Jewish Bible.
All the references they made, was it to Greek philosophy or Jewish Bible?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:51pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Who are these authors that you are basing your knowledge on Jesus? So you agree now, that logos is not Paul statement?

I've posted links to many sources in this thread, May. And I never said logos was Paul's statement!

In fact, if you asked, I'd say Paul who was active in the writing of Luke and Acts along with many letters that make claims about Jesus, never even met him, and is responsible for the whole idea of Jesus worship, as opposed to understand Jesus teaching, of say, James.

"Faith", below, implies mere belief. James is asking you to test them to see if they are true or not.

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:52pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I've posted links to many sources in this thread, May. And I never said logos was Paul's statement!

In fact, if you asked, I'd say Paul who was active in the writing of Luke and Acts along with many letters that make claims about Jesus, never even met him, and is responsible for the whole idea of Jesus worship, as opposed to understand Jesus teaching, of say, James.

"Faith", below, implies mere belief. James is asking you to test them to see if they are true or not.

So Paul was active in writing a book in the New Testament? They also mentioned Abraham in the New Testament too, and they said jesus has lineage with him

You posted a link to the authors of the New Testament, I must have missed it, post it again please
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 4:56pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

The New Testament is a continuation of Greek philosophy or Old Testament? Jewish Bible.
All the references they made, was it to Greek philosophy or Jewish Bible?

The New Testament is not a continuation! It is rather a dumb down version for the masses of some Greek and Egyptian and elsewhere philosophy of the time.

Here's a link to Paul's use of his Greek knowledge.
https://biblethingsinbibleways./2013/07/14/paul-and-his-use-of-greek-philosophy/
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 4:57pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

The New Testament is not a continuation! It is rather a dumb down version for the masses of some Greek and Egyptian and elsewhere philosophy of the time.

Here's a link to Paul's use of his Greek knowledge.
https://biblethingsinbibleways./2013/07/14/paul-and-his-use-of-greek-philosophy/

So why then did you relate a dumb down version that contains a Jesus story to “logos”?

So Paul wrote a book in this dumb down version too?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:01pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

So Paul was active in writing a book in the New Testament? They also mentioned Abraham in the New Testament too, and they said jesus has lineage with him

You posted a link to the authors of the New Testament, I must have missed it, post it again please
I did not post a link to authors of the New Testament, May. We are not talking about who wrote the New Testament, but the language it was written in.

As for what is written in the Bible, it is not necessarily so, as would be sung in Porgy and Bess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP5O_NUhrK0
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:03pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I did not post a link to authors of the New Testament, May. We are not talking about who wrote the New Testament, but the language it was written in.

As for what is written in the Bible, it is not necessarily so, as would be sung in Porgy and Bess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP5O_NUhrK0

New Testament is written in Greek. The story is gotten from Hebrew origin. All the references are of Hebrew origin because it’s a continuation of the Old Testament.

What’s written in the Bible is not so including jesus as Logos, or you cherry-picking?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:05pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

So why then did you relate a dumb down version that contains a Jesus story to “logos”?

How many times must I repeat that the relating was done in the prologue of the Gospel of John, May, are you not following links at all?

Here's another.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_(Christianity)
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:05pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

How many times must I repeat that the relating was done in the prologue of the Gospel of John, May, are you not following links at all?

Here's another.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_(Christianity)

A dumb down version right?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:08pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

New Testament is written in Greek. The story is gotten from Hebrew origin. All the references are of Hebrew origin because it’s a continuation of the Old Testament.

What’s written in the Bible is not so including jesus as Logos, or you cherry-picking?

The story of Jesus has no Hebrew origin, May. It was cobbled together from numerous stories about messiahs that were prevalent at the time and in history. Neither the trinity nor the resurrection are original Hebrew ideas.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:09pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

The story of Jesus has no Hebrew origin, May. It was cobbled together from numerous stories about messiahs that were prevalent at the time and in history. Neither the trinity nor the resurrection are original Hebrew ideas.

The story of Jesus is from Hebrew origin, even the name is a Jewish name. Stop lying to yourself.

The trinity was the concept of the Roman Catholic.

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:11pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

A dumb down version right?
Well, depending on how you take it of course.

If for believing, then yes, dumb. For as Christ is written to have said, "the lame walk, blind see, deaf hear, dumb talk". Only to the poor is the Gospel preached.

P.s. I know you'd understand those words biblically. It's not how I've meant them.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Well, depending on how you take it of course.

If for believing, then yes, dumb. For as Christ is written to have said, "the lame walk, blind see, deaf hear, dumb talk". Only to the poor is the Gospel preached.

P.s. I know you'd understand those words biblically. It's not how I've meant them.

It was you that said it was. So you are cherry picking the part you want in a dumb down version..
When they said Jesus was the word they were smart,but they were dumb in writing the rest?

Christos is gotten from Greek and gotten from Hebrew means messiah.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:15pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

The trinity was the concept of the Roman Catholic.

You must have never heard of Asar, Aset, and Heru.

https://daily.jstor.org/a-holy-trinity-in-ancient-egypt/#:~:text=In%20ancient%20Egypt%E2%80%94or%20Kemet,%2C%20and%20Horus%2C%20respectively.)
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:16pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

You must have never heard of Asar, Aset, and Heru.

https://daily.jstor.org/a-holy-trinity-in-ancient-egypt/#:~:text=In%20ancient%20Egypt%E2%80%94or%20Kemet,%2C%20and%20Horus%2C%20respectively.)

Are they of Jewish origin like jesus that comes from the lineage of david and Abraham?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:19pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

It was you that said it was. So you are cherry picking the part you want in a dumb down version..
When they said Jesus was the word they were smart,but they were dumb in writing the rest?

Christos is gotten from Greek and gotten from Hebrew means messiah.
Messiah is not gotten from Hebrew, and there were lots of messiahs long before Christos.

And the writing is not dumb once you realise it is pointing you where to seek, but if you do not go seeking, you'd get the dumb version and you'd ignorantly believe it.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Are they of Jewish origin like jesus that comes from the lineage of david and Abraham?

Must they be from the lineage of david and Abraham?
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Messiah is not gotten from Hebrew, and there were lots of messiahs long before Christos.

And the writing is not dumb once you realise it is pointing you where to seek, but if you do not go seeking, you'd get the dumb version and you'd ignorantly believe it.

Messiah is gotten from Hebrew. And translated to Christ.

It was you that said it was a dumb down version, remember?

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:21pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Must they be from the lineage of david and Abraham?

The New Testament said so, or is that the dumb part of the book?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 5:25pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

The New Testament said so, or is that the dumb part of the book?
budaatum:

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 5:26pm On Apr 21, 2022
Messiah is gotten from Hebrew And translated to Christos(Greek)

Why don’t you want to face reality? Budaatum

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

How Jesus Has Deceived The Christians / Sin A Spiritual Suicide / Catholics: Today Is Christ The King Sunday, As We Mark The Beginning Of Advent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.