Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

What Is God? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God? (9861 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 12:29pm On Apr 21, 2022
LordReed:

You were born lucky my dear buda. LoLz. People like us had the spirit crushed out of us by brutality, the only thing we knew how to do was submit.

And how so brutally 'we' crush one another. It's like living in Plato's Cave full of Borg's. "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"

budaatum:

When I was like really young, these mates of mine who grew up in Obanikoro Village told me rats talk. Well, even at barely 7, I was atheistic in nature, so I argued that rats don't talk. Now there were like 5 of them, so they ganged up on me calling me all sorts of names and that I know nothing, "rats talk jo!"

One day, about two years later, we were in the home of one of them and NTA was showing Tom and Jerry. "There," they said, pointing to the telly. "I thought you said rats don't talk?"

Turns out oyinbo rats do talk, silly me!

It's why compassionate Jesus is a very good study. He stepped out of the cave and returned to free those in it and they just crucified the poor sod and only later did they realise he was the messiah saving them. Unfortunately, many remain in the cave.

Now, Buddha, on the other hand, never delved back into the cave to save anyone and no one therefore crucified him. 'If you wish to be saved', Buddha would say, 'step out of your cave and use your own senses and save yourself'.

Buddha would also have said, 'Jesus is the Way, but the Way is not the destination'.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 12:35pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

And how so brutally 'we' crush one another. It's like living in Plato's Cave full of Borg's. "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile"

It's why compassionate Jesus is a very good study. He stepped out of the cave and returned to free those in it and they just crucified the poor sod and only later did they realise he was the messiah saving them. Unfortunately, many remain in the cave.

Now, Buddha, on the other hand, never delved back into the cave to save anyone and no one therefore crucified him. 'If you wish to be saved', Buddha would say, 'step out of your cave and use your own senses and save yourself'.

Buddha would also have said, 'Jesus is the Way, but the Way is not the destination'.

You were once an atheist right?, what reasons did you have against Jesus then, and did you satisfy those reasons before you believed in Jesus again.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:07pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

You were once an atheist right?, what reasons did you have against Jesus then, and did you satisfy those reasons before you believed in Jesus again.
This will require multiple answers as it is multiple questions.

1. buda is not a believer. I choose to understand.

2. I am still an atheist (and a Bible reader, and a Quran reader, to name a few). Gods are the figment of the imaginations of those in whom gods have been created. My Lord and Happy prove that fact. They believed what they did not understand. One shouldn't read Things Fall Apart, for instance, and start believing an Okonkwo killed an actual Ikemefuna, so why read a book and start believing in gods?

3. I never had anything against Jesus (the Logos). That would imply a refusal or an inability to read and reason - as in, ask and seek and knock - with one's own senses. I'd call my self a word worshipper. Worship, as in, read and endeavour to understand.

My first God book was Homer's Odyseus, followed by Egyptian gods. One didn't believe in those gods so it would be absurd to believe in gods one reads elsewhere instead of try to understand what one reads.

NB. I feel I haven't answered you, and just remedied your assumptions. Apologies.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 1:10pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

2. I am still an atheist (and a Bible reader, and a Quran reader, to name a few). Gods are the figment of the imaginations of those in whom gods have been created. My Lord and Happy prove that fact. They believed what they did not understand. One shouldn't read Things Fall Apart, for instance, and start believing an Okonkwo killed an actual Ikemefuna, so why read a book and start believing in gods?

3. I never had anything against Jesus (the Logos). That would imply a refusal or an inability to read and reason - as in, ask and seek and knock - with one's own senses. I'd call my self a word worshipper. Worship, as in, read and endeavour to understand.

My first God book was Homer's Odyseus, followed by Egyptian gods. One didn't believe in those gods so it would be absurd to believe in gods one reads elsewhere instead of try to understand what one reads.

NB. I feel I haven't answered you, and just remedied your assumptions. Apologies.

How’s Jesus the logos? Didn’t they send the logos to the other messiahs in Old Testament?
And how did you know Jesus is logos? Why didn’t you follow that pattern up for God too.
John 1:1 said The word(logos) was god(blank). We need to fill in that blank.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:24pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

How’s Jesus the logos? Didn’t they send the logos to the other messiahs in Old Testament?
And how did you know Jesus is logos? Why didn’t you follow that pattern up for God too.
John 1:1 said The word(logos) was god(blank). We need to fill in that blank.

Did you not see me mention other Logos peddlers apart from Jesus?

Are you aware John 1:1 was not an original thought but was copied from somewhere else?

Kindly do not assume words mean to me what you think they do.

https://www.nairaland.com/6434802/what-real-name-islamic-god/7#103872464

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 1:26pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Did you not see me mention other Logos peddlers apart from Jesus?

Are you aware John 1:1 was not an original thought but was copied from somewhere else?

Kindly do not assume words mean to me what you think they do.

https://www.nairaland.com/6434802/what-real-name-islamic-god/7#103872464

Why are you using the Greek definition of logos? Old Testament was written in Hebrew. So the translation must be of Hebrew origin and Jesus was Jew right?
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

You are just confused...

In one breath you talk about reading and understanding

In another you talk about actual people in the stories..

Why is it hard to know the stories are allegories? And understood as such.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:29pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

How’s Jesus the logos?

Now that's cleared up. One makes Jesus the Logos by considering the words that one reads.

I'll give an example.

Take "humans shall not live by bread alone but by every word the Gods wrote".

The fill in the blank version is, humans who live by one book will become malnourished.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 1:30pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Now that's cleared up. One makes Jesus the Logos by considering the words that one reads.

I'll give an example.

Take "humans shall not live by bread alone but by every word the Gods wrote".

The fill in the blank version is, humans who live by one book will become malnourished.

Since you translated word as logos from Hebrew. Shouldn’t you also translate what they call “God” in Hebrew?
It was that “God” that sent logos right?

What Jesus meant in that verse was that man shall not live by flesh alone, it’s the soul that does the living.
And our concept of death is very wrong.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:33pm On Apr 21, 2022
sonmvayina:

You are just confused...

In one breath you talk about reading and understanding

In another you talk about actual people in the stories..

Why is it hard to know the stories are allegories? And understood as such.

Why are you accusing me of what you are doing, son? Am I writing beyond your level of comprehension perhaps?

budaatum:

One shouldn't read Things Fall Apart, for instance, and start believing an Okonkwo killed an actual Ikemefuna, so why read a book and start believing in gods?

The stories are not only allegories, son, they are also mythology.

Please post the meaning of mythology so I know what you understand.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:49pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Since you translated word as logos from Hebrew.
No, I never "translated word as logos from Hebrew". In fact, my journey began with Greek and Egyptian philosophy, as pointed out. Hebrew came much later.

Maynman:
Shouldn’t you also translate what they call “God” in Hebrew?
Why just "God in Hebrew"? Why not Gods from elsewhere too? There are lots of gods, so why concentrate on one?

Maynman:
It was that “God” that sent logos right?
According to whom? Or, what? Did you not see me use the word "malnourished"?

Did 'that “God”' send Logos to the Egyptians from where Jesus is written to have gone to get it from?

Did 'that "God"' send the Logos to Heraclitus and Aristotle too?

Maynman:
What Jesus meant in that verse was that man shall not live by flesh alone, it’s the soul that does the living.
That is your understanding. My own understanding is that those who don't use the brain in their head and their other senses will remain stupid and ignorant and malnourished.

I guess my soul does not do my living for me since I like rowing my own boat.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 1:51pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

No, I never "translated word as logos from Hebrew". In fact, my journey began with Greek and Egyptian philosophy, as pointed out. Hebrew came much later.

Why just "God in Hebrew"? Why not Gods from elsewhere too? There are lots of gods, so why concentrate on one?

According to whom? Or, what? Did you not see me use the word "malnourished"?

Did 'that “God”' send Logos to the Egyptians from where Jesus is written to have gone to get it from?

Did 'that "God"' send the Logos to Heraclitus and Aristotle too?

That is your understanding. My own understanding is that those who don't use the brain in their head and their other senses will remain stupid and ignorant and malnourished.

I guess my soul does not do my living for me since I like rowing my own boat.

The book you are reading has an history, it was written from Old Testament to New Testament. Is Hebrew and Greek not the language used?
Who was the God, your logos was referring to?
Old Testament was written in Hebrew, logos is not a Hebrew word.

Flesh is the appetite, it’s the flesh that needs food and vices.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:15pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

The book you are reading has an history, it was written from Old Testament to New Testament.
With a lot of Egyptian and Greek and Babylonian and surrounding philosophy in it too.

And please! The books I am reading.

Maynman:
Is Hebrew and Greek not the language used?
Mostly, I read in English.

Maynman:
I don't think Heraclitus and Aristotle referred to Logos as God.

Maynman:
Old Testament was written in Hebrew, logos is not a Hebrew word.
As I repeatedly mention, those who read only one book will be malnourished. Logos is not in the Old Testament but in the New, which was written after Yahweh met Greek philosophy.

Maynman:
Flesh is the appetite, it’s the flesh that needs food and vices.
I must be flesh then, because I am very hungry and need food now. In fact, I'm going to go shop. I got no food in the house to eat.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:16pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

With a lot of Egyptian and Greek and Babylonian and surrounding philosophy in it too.

And please! The books I am reading.

Mostly, I read in English.

I don't think Heraclitus and Aristotle referred to Logos as God.

As I repeatedly mention, those who read only one book will be malnourished. Logos is not in the Old Testament but in the New, which was written after Yahweh met Greek philosophy.

I must be flesh then, because I am very hungry and need food now. In fact, I'm going to go shop. I got no food in the house to eat.

You read in English, jesus spoke English?
Man, the Jesus story you are reading has his origin from Hebrew Bible, there’s nothing like “logos” in Hebrew. Logos means word in Hebrew.. is Jesus not a Jew? Didn’t they call Jesus, christ. What does christ mean in Hebrew.
Who is Yahweh?

In your body, you have soul, spirit and flesh.
Man shall not live by food alone, it’s only the flesh that has appetite.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:36pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

You read in English, jesus spoke English?
Man, the Jesus story you are reading has his origin from Hebrew Bible, there’s nothing like “logos” in Hebrew. Logos means word in Hebrew.. is Jesus not a Jew? Didn’t they call Jesus, christ. What does christ mean in Hebrew.
The Jesus story has its origin from a lot of places, Maynman. You'd find it in Egypt, for instance, and in Greece, as pointed out already.

Logos does not mean mere "word" in Hebrew, and the New Testament was written in Greek.

Maynman:
Who is Yahweh?
You might as well have asked, Who is Bacchus.

Some people's god, I suppose.

Maynman:
In your body, you have soul, spirit and flesh.
Man shall not live by food alone, it’s only the flesh that has appetite.
My flesh does not hunger for learning, so my soul and spirit must have appetites too, for all the gods may have written.

That said, one aspect of the trinity I may be can not survive alone.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:38pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

The Jesus story has its origin from a lot of places, Maynman. You'd find it in Egypt, for instance, and in Greece, as pointed out already.

Logos does not mean mere "word" in Hebrew, and the New Testament was written in Greek.

You might as well have asked, Who is Bacchus.

Some people's god, I suppose.

My flesh does not hunger for learning, so my soul and spirit must have appetites too, for all the gods may have written.

That said, one aspect of the trinity I may be can not survive alone.

Jesus was a Jew, the Jesus story has his origin from Hebrew Bible.
Jesus never went or spoke Greek. It was hundred of years after Jesus died that they wrote the New Testament in GREEK.

Logos and Rhema means dabar(word) in Hebrew where Jesus originated from.
It was you that brought “Yahweh” in, why shouldn’t I ask?

Your soul is the knowledge, it’s the flesh that’s learning.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:40pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

My logos was not refering to a god, but to a human ability to think and reason with the senses.

I'll post it again in case you missed it.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:41pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

My logos was not refering to a god, but to a human ability to think and reason with the senses.

I'll post it again in case you missed it.

Logos is a Greek word, was Jesus a Greek?
Jesus is a Hebrew.
What’s Jesus name in Hebrew? What’s Joshua name in Hebrew?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:48pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Jesus was a Jew, the Jesus story has his origin from Hebrew Bible.
Jesus never went or spoke Greek. It was hundred of years after Jesus died that they wrote the New Testament in GREEK.

Whether Jesus spoke Greek or not is not the point, May. Fact is Greek philosophy had pervaded Egypt long before Jesus is written to have fled there, and most of what we read today about Jesus has a lot of ancient Egypt and Greek philosophy in it, though dumbed down for the masses who were not expected to understand but merely believe. You'd know this just by reading some Plato.

It's why the teachers of his time did not see things the way he is written to have seen things. He did not learn in their schools.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:49pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Logos is a Greek word, was Jesus a Greek?
Jesus is a Hebrew.
What’s Jesus name in Hebrew? What’s Joshua name in Hebrew?

I guess this is where you start doing that thing you do. Not understanding the answer given to your question so you keep repeating it.

Sorry, but I am not playing your game this time.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:49pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Whether Jesus spoke Greek or not is not the point, May. Fact is Greek philosophy had pervaded Egypt long before Jesus is written to have fled there, and most of what we read today about Jesus has a lot of ancient Egypt and Greek philosophy in it, though dumbed down for the masses who were not expected to understand but merely believe. You'd know this just by reading some Plato.

It's why the teachers of his time did not see things the way he is written to have seen things. He did not learn in their schools.

Jesus was a Jew, a Hebrew man.. only Aramaic languages were spoken then. Jesus story comes from Hebrew.
New Testament that was written in Greek got his origin from Hebrew Bible.
Jesus was born by a Jew, and lived a Jew life.
Greek philosophy is different from what happened in the Semitic days.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:51pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I guess this is where you start doing that thing you do. Not understanding the answer given to your question so you keep repeating it.

Sorry, but I am not playing your game this time.

What game?

Jesus was a Jew, is “logos” a Hebrew word?
What was “logos” called in Hebrew when Jesus was alive.
All the stories you have about Jesus is from New Testament that was written years after Jesus died. So how did they relate Jesus to logos?
Re: What Is God? by KnownUnknown: 2:54pm On Apr 21, 2022
Just like the “slavery in the garden of eden”, your so called understanding is nothing but your interpretation of the allegories. You don’t understand them and your arrogance won’t let you admit that it’s just your interpretation. The quote below should read “That is your interpretation. My own interpretation is that those……”

budaatum:

That is your understanding. My own understanding is that those…

Interpret- to decide what the intended meaning of something is.

Understand- to know the meaning of something that someone says.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 2:59pm On Apr 21, 2022
KnownUnknown:
Just like the “slavery in the garden of eden”, your so called understanding is nothing but your interpretation of the allegories. You don’t understand them and your arrogance won’t let you admit that it’s just your interpretation. The quote below should read “That is your interpretation. My own interpretation is that those……”

Interpret- to decide what the intended meaning of something is.

Understand- to know the meaning of something that someone says.

Unknown! I thought it would be obvious. My bad

Everything I write is my own understanding and interpretation, and I am in no way claiming it must mean the same to you as it does to me since you may interpret it differently.

And if you study the gospels, you'd see Jesus presenting his own meaning and understanding and interpretation. It's what people do with their own minds instead of just accepting what they are told.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:00pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

Unknown! I thought it would be obvious. My bad

Everything I write is my own understanding and interpretation, and I am in no way claiming it must mean the same to you as it does to me since you may interpret it differently.

And if you study the gospels, you'd see Jesus presenting his own meaning and understanding and interpretation. It's what people do with their own minds instead of just accepting what they are told.

Jesus story didn’t start from Greek, Jesus is literally a Hebrew. Why not start from there to know who Jesus really is for better understanding unless you have hidden sentiments.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:02pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

What game?

Jesus was a Jew, is “logos” a Hebrew word?
What was “logos” called in Hebrew when Jesus was alive.
All the stories you have about Jesus is from New Testament that was written years after Jesus died. So how did they relate Jesus to logos?

I don't think understanding had got so far as Logos during Christ time. You yourself translated it to mean word, which is very far short of its intended meaning.

Perhaps see it more as the other way round, that Logos was interpreted to mean Jesus. It might help you see past the actual person named Jesus.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:04pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

I don't think understanding had got so far as Logos during Christ time. You yourself translated it to mean word, which is very far short of its intended meaning.

Perhaps see it more as the other way round, that Logos was interpreted to mean Jesus. It might help you see past the actual person named Jesus.

Logos during christ time are you serious ?
Christ is a “Greek” word that got his origin from Hebrew “messiah”
The New Testament you are using was written hundreds years after Jesus die, so what you mean during Christ time?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:04pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Jesus story didn’t start from Greek, Jesus is literally a Hebrew. Why not start from there to know who Jesus really is for better understanding unless you have hidden sentiments.

That would be lazy, and the result would be ignorance.

The Jesus story is way more than about Jesus just as Things Fall Apart is more than about Okonkwo.

1 Like

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:06pm On Apr 21, 2022
Maynman:

Jesus was a Jew, a Hebrew man.. only Aramaic languages were spoken then. Jesus story comes from Hebrew tongue.
New Testament that was written in Greek got his origin from Hebrew Bible.
Jesus was born by a Jew, and lived a Jew life.
He is written to have gone to school in Egypt where Aramaic was not the language.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:06pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

That would be lazy, and the result would be ignorance.

The Jesus story is way more than about Jesus just as Things Fall Apart is more than about Okonkwo.

Jesus is a Hebrew. He spoke Hebrew and worshipped a Hebrew god.
Everything you know about Jesus is from new Testament a continuation of Old Testament that was written in Hebrew.
Which character is your “logos” in things fall apart?
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2022
budaatum:

He is written to have gone to school in Egypt where Aramaic was not the language.

Where was it written?
What year did he go?
Which school?
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 3:12pm On Apr 21, 2022
KnownUnknown:
Just like the “slavery in the garden of eden”,

I do agree, yet you see meaning in my interpretation. No? If I believe the story that suggests I should not eat fruits that nourish one with knowledge, I will be ignorant and a slave to those who do nourish themselves with knowledge. They will be my master and I will labour in their garden for pittance. Not even clothing, the story suggests.

You nourish yourself with fruits of knowledge, which is why you are not a believer in what you are told. No?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Of What Use Is The Judgement Day? / Paul Kalanithi: Why I Gave Up On Atheism / Imagine If God Talks To People As Claimed. Challenge To Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.