Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

What Is God? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is God? (9864 Views)

Is God Really Omniscience? Does He Know Everything? / Jesus Christ Is God Almighty :ask Me Anything!! / Is God Sovereign? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 8:48am On Apr 19, 2022
budaatum:

That is how and why they are said to have died, sonm. Once you "loose the ritual on how to please", it just dies off like most dead gods fickle humans forget to worship. Gods live because we humans give life to them.

Kind of shows who the gods are. Those who create them kill them once their use by date passes. A reason for Easter, actually. A ritual to remind of the resurrection of the god, which you'd find in most religions, hence, Easter's "Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! Aleluya amen".

What is Christ, Sonm?

You are just pissing everywhere..
That people loose the ritual does not mean they died.
Can death die?
Can darkness die?

Jesus christ as an individual never ever existed.
The romans/Greek elites created the character from the different mythological story flying around in the ancient world.
Christianity then was the worship of serapis christus
It was already a thriving Cult, in Egypt and around the Roman empire.
The Cult was hijacked at the Council of nicea and all the dogmas around him created as time went on.

gods are the personification of the laws and principles of life.
God is the existence itself.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:33pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

What was the image of the thing that left?

The image of the thing that left was consciousness which I have described already. Same consciousness I see in you and will notice once it leaves you.

And before you claim image, remember you don't see consciousness in a stone. Or at least you have yet claimed you can.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

You are just pissing everywhere..
That people loose the ritual does not mean they died.
Can death die?
Can darkness die?
I'll put this down to your inability to understand the use of the word. In truth, gods only live in the minds of people, and once the minds stop accomodating the gods and worshipping them stops they die off.

sonmvayina:
Jesus christ as an individual never ever existed.
The romans/Greek elites created the character from the different mythological story flying around in the ancient world.
Christianity then was the worship of serapis christus
It was already a thriving Cult, in Egypt and around the Roman empire.
The Cult was hijacked at the Council of nicea and all the dogmas around him created as time went on.

gods are the personification of the laws and principles of life.
God is the existence itself.
God too never existed, sonm. Yet here are we discussing and learning regardless.

There is a reason "a thriving Cult, in Egypt and around the Roman empire" survives till this day.
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2022
budaatum:

I'll put this down to your inability to understand the use of the word. In truth, gods only live in the minds of people, and once the minds stop accomodating the gods and worshipping them stops they die off.
You don't read to understand do you? All you want to do is respond without thinking. I said gods are the personification of the principle of life. Whether people worship them or not. They are always there. The only difference now is that we understand that they are within us rather than outside of us. For example Ekwensu is the God of cross roads, rather than go and meet an Ekwensu priest you weigh all your options within and take your decision. I really don't know how else to stress it..

[qoute] God too never existed, sonm. Yet here are we discussing and learning regardless.

There is a reason "a thriving Cult, in Egypt and around the Roman empire" survives till this day.[/quote]

You are not showing sign you understand anything. I have shouted at the top of my voice that the universe is what is called God. We are part of it and it is part of us. Anything within it is important. gods are simply laws and principles within the universe..

Understand what I have written, if you don't ask me based on the point you are not clear. I will clarify for you...
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:03pm On Apr 19, 2022
budaatum:

The image of the thing that left was consciousness which I have described already. Same consciousness I see in you and will notice once it leaves you.

And before you claim image, remember you don't see consciousness in a stone. Or at least you have yet claimed you can.

Draw it in a picture and post it...the image you saw.
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:05pm On Apr 19, 2022
God has different meaning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:09pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:
God has different meaning.

The only meaning I know is the power responsible for creating and sustaining the universe..
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:14pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

The only meaning I know is the power responsible for creating and sustaining the universe..

Where did you get that definition?
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:19pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

Where did you get that definition?

From summarizing all the scriptures...
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:20pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

From summarizing all the scriptures...

So from the Bible?
But “God” is a common English word, or was Bible written in English?
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:36pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

So from the Bible?
But “God” is a common English word, or was Bible written in English?

I said all scriptures...both written and unwritten..
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:38pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

I said all scriptures...both written and unwritten..

Then it has different meaning, the Greek translation of god is different from the Hebrew translation of god, so as the German own.
Mention all the scriptures and I’ll explain to you how all of them differ in what they call god.
Do you even know the origin and meaning of that word “scriptures”. it’s specific

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:41pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

Then it has different meaning, the Greek translation of god is different from the Hebrew translation of god, so as the German own.
Mention all the scriptures and I’ll explain to you how all of them differ in what they call god.
Do you even know the origin and meaning of that word “scriptures”. it’s specific

Keep on learning,

You will get there soon
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:42pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

Let me oblige you.

What is Eledumare?
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:42pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Keep on learning,

You will get there soon

Where did you get the word “scripture” seems it’s you that has some learning to do.

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:44pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Let me oblige you.

What is Eledumare?

Eledumare is Eledumare. It’s a Yoruba word.
How did you translate it to God? Which has Greek, latin, German and so many origins.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:44pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

Where did you get the word “scripture” seems it’s you that has some learning to do.

Hahhhaha,

You omitted the second bullet point..
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:45pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

Eledumare is Eledumare. It’s a Yoruba word.
How did you translate it to God? Which has Greek, latin, German and so many origins.

I thought we are talking about meaning ...
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:45pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Hahhhaha,

You omitted the second bullet point..

Yes they said a writing right? Can a writing be unwritten?

Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:46pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

I thought we are talking about meaning ...

I’m asking you you where you got that meaning from. No where in Yoruba religion did you see them mention “god”. It’s a word from certain places and has certain meaning.
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 2:47pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

I’m asking you you where you got that meaning from. No where in Yoruba religion did you see them mention “god”. It’s a word from certain places and has certain meaning.

Ok...I get you now
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 2:48pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Ok...I get you now

So since it’s a foreign word and not found in Yoruba land and Africa at large, where did you get it?
Re: What Is God? by sonmvayina(m): 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2022
Maynman:

So since it’s a foreign word and not found in Yoruba land and Africa at large, where did you get it?

English...
Re: What Is God? by Maynman: 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

English...

This one?

You should read the etymology to know extensively.

2 Likes

Re: What Is God? by LordReed(m): 4:30pm On Apr 19, 2022
budaatum:
Gods are human constructs (entities, ideas) that people use to explain existence to themselves and others.

I make no distinction between small letter 'g' god and capital letter 'g' god, except that some, if not most people elevate their god above everyone else's god and like to refer to it as a capital letter 'g' god.

I have posted a list of different gods here.

That time when budaatum was an atheist and LordReed was a Christian. Now my dear buda loves Jesus while I'm an atheist. How the tables do turn my dear buda. LoLz.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 9:17pm On Apr 19, 2022
LordReed:

That time when budaatum was an atheist and LordReed was a Christian. Now my dear buda loves Jesus while I'm an atheist. How the tables do turn my dear buda. LoLz.

My Lord, buda always loved Jesus. One can't love Buddha and Mohammed and Lao Tzu and Atum and Darwin and Aristotle and Fela and Thoth, to name but a few, and leave Jesus out. They are not one same linage, but they are the evolution of the idea of things we call gods, and the fact we call them gods means some people at a particular point in time considered them important enough to 'worship', and I love knowing why. It might be they found wealth in a field and hid it, and I love wealth.

Love the fact you didn't say buda is now a Christian though. I'd have had to go do something unchristainy so my reputation isn't tarnished. I can't wait till we evolve from Jesus the Messiah, to Jesus the Logos. They shall Jesus truly live.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 9:19pm On Apr 19, 2022
sonmvayina:

Draw it in a picture and post it...the image you saw.

I do not think it proper to paint a picture of my grandfather's consciousness leaving him, sonm. If you have not seen consciousness leave a person, perhaps its you who have not seen a person die.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 9:29pm On Apr 19, 2022
Here's one of my favourites.

Thoth, (Greek), Egyptian Djhuty, in Egyptian religion, a god of the moon, of reckoning, of learning, and of writing. He was held to be the inventor of writing, the creator of languages, the scribe, interpreter, and adviser of the gods, and the representative of the sun god, Re. His responsibility for writing was shared with the goddess Seshat. The cult of Thoth was centred in the town of Khmunu (Hermopolis; modern Al-Ashmūnayn) in Upper Egypt.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Thoth

Thoth was the vitally important Egyptian god of the moon, medicine, science, wisdom, and magic. Depicted with the head of an ibis, he invented writing, was the divine healer, and acted as advisor to the rest of the pantheon.
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(12)62084-9/fulltext

Smart people wonder how he protected Isis during her pregnancy and healed the eye of her son, Horus, and then they go on and do greater things than he did, while some will bow down and worship.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by HappyPagan: 4:08pm On Apr 20, 2022
LordReed:

Heeehe.. I go through some of my old comments on this site.... When I was Christian... Eeiishhh....
Re: What Is God? by LordReed(m): 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
HappyPagan:

Heeehe.. I go through some of my old comments on this site.... When I was Christian... Eeiishhh....

Oh Andromeda, you too?! LoLz.
Re: What Is God? by budaatum: 7:09pm On Apr 20, 2022
HappyPagan:

LordReed:

Oh Andromeda, you too?! LoLz.

I feel for you guys. The thought of 'believing' a book without questioning is absurd, and probably why I never quite did so well in Nigerian schools with teachers you dare not question, especially since in my kindergarten was I appointed six honest servers.

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine till five,
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men.
But different folk have different views;
I know a person small-
She keeps ten million serving-men,
Who get no rest at all!

She sends'em abroad on her own affairs,
From the second she opens her eyes-
One million Hows, two million Wheres,
And seven million Whys!

Rudyard Kipling

We need a coup in our education system!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is God? by LordReed(m): 8:22pm On Apr 20, 2022
budaatum:

I feel for you guys. The thought of 'believing' a book without questioning is absurd, and probably why I never quite did so well in Nigerian schools with teachers you dare not question, especially since in my kindergarten was I appointed six honest servers.

You were born lucky my dear buda. LoLz. People like us had the spirit crushed out of us by brutality, the only thing we knew how to do was submit.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Imagine If God Talks To People As Claimed. Challenge To Christians / MFM Power Must Change Hands Programme Message January 2014 / Nairaland athei potes probare contra Dei non-existentiam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.